• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm usually very critical of nintendo but the only negative things I can see here is that they don't want to run into another situation where it's hard to understand the system. It should be something anyone can pick up and know how to use but controls on the front and the back and detaching shit and docks and whatnot....all down to execution/presentation I guess.

Also price point. I'm glad we're getting all the nintendo games on one console and I don't care if the power is XB1 level at best, that's pretty cool for a handheld. But the price needs to reflect this. I think 299 is the absolute ceiling and that will be pushing it for a lot of people.

I think they need to try really, really hard to hit $250 or less.

Maybe the dock uses phones as a cart port. Think of a TV plug in but using a phone as a mini TV display. The dock could be the console as a whole. A very fancy' high powered phonee case if you will.

xILw6aA.jpg

I have a feeling the real design documents look like this.

Nanashrew

Banned
I've been rather categorical and unwavering in my statements that anything less than parity with the rest of the home console market would turn me away after the Wii U. Anyone who frequents NX threads will tell you the same thing.

I demanded something that actually resembled a home console with parity to PS4 the barest minimum requirement before Nintendo would receive my money. This... THING that's rumoured to be released does not meet that standard.

If this is just the handheld and they've given players an option to play games on their TV and there is a home console still coming, then I take no issue with this. But if this is all they are going to offer, I don't want it. I haven't bought a handheld since the DS, which I gave away shortly after its release. I have no desire for the form factor, I have no desire for the limitations that form factor imposes.

This isn't worth my consideration and until I hear something contradictory to this rumour, I won't be in an NX thread til the unveiling to hear the final word from the horse's mouth, as I wouldn't see much point to talking about something that's being discussed as something I have no desire to own.

Then play it as a console and never use it as a handheld? I never saw Nintendo going for PS4 levels as it's completely unrealistic.

gafneo

Banned
NX mobile Docking system. Takes tegra x1, plus farms gpu power from mobile and gives us an expansion pac capable of ps4 graphics on the go. Plus upgradible with each updated phone replacement.

uSkbJM7.jpg

Yukinari

I still haven't seen one good piece of artwork of what this could look like. Everything that's been shown looks really bad in design and ugly

This has been bothering me a lot. None of the mock ups, patents or fakes looked comfy to use and had dumb designs. I feel like i would just prefer a wireless controller.

Proelite

Docking station doesn't matter, this doesn't require any additional hardware. It's all about power consumption. A handheld battery won't last if you run an X1 at full power, so they'll likely run the cpu/gpu at a lower clock speed to reduce power consumption. This can be reduced further if they only have to output at 540p. When placed in the dock with a dedicated power supply they don't have to worry about draining a battery and can run the chip at full speed, enough to display games at 1080p. All you need is two profiles for the games, one for handheld mode for output at 540p, one for console mode at an output of 1080p.

+1 from me.

Muzicfreq

Banned
On the handheld 720p are totally fine. On the TV not so much.
Pretty much.
I mean you have everyone begging for 4k experiences from MS and Sony side
While if it's Nintendo, they could go sub SD and people will be like "that's fine"

This is 2016, 1080p is dirt cheap and 4k you can have under $1000
Up scale on most TVs now and it will look like pure garbo

Mikey Jr.

Are people really into carrying around another piece of tech on them?

That's the one thing I'm questioning right now. Especially something that is going to be probably tablet sized or ipad mini size.

This seems to be a handheld device first, home console second.

Muzicfreq

Banned

That's the one thing I'm questioning right now. Especially something that is going to be probably tablet sized or ipad mini size.

Nope. I tried and ended up leaving everything but my phone and wallet at home... Maybe if I had a fannypack

kagamin

Hell yea, I almost always have my Vita and 3DS with me at all times.

Nanashrew

Banned
Pretty much.
While if it's Nintendo, they could go sub SD and people will be like "that's fine"

Power consumption. 1080p will eat through the battery like it's nothing.

Mikey Jr.

Nope. I tried and ended up leaving everything but my phone and wallet at home... Maybe if I had a fannypack

Heh, that'd be hilarious.

Hell yea, I almost always have my Vita and 3DS with me at all times.

Hmmm, not sure how anyone does that. I like being light. Phone, keys, wallet. On the verge of getting rid of my wallet at this point too.

The thought of carrying around a handheld that is probably vita 1.5x size is just really unappealing at this point in my life.
For Day to day anyways. Maybe if I was doing some long trip, I'd be more inclined.

Ansatz

Are people expecting flagship 1st party titles like the next 3D Mario to run at 1080p/60fps on this thing and Zelda 1080p/30fps? And yes I'm refering to the 'home console'

Pretty much.

I don't think Nintendo give a fuck about resolution. If the system can project pictures on the screen, then it's good enough. Nintendo don't have much choices here. They can't abandon their handheld market and they also can't cramp the high-end console hardware into the handheld. They need to give up one thing to benefit the other.

But how can zelda fit into a small cartridge? I really don't like the idea of cartridges, I'd rather have swappable hdd's.

The majority of Nintendo's Wii U games are under 10 gigs and according to EG, these cartridges could end up as large as 32 gigs. Wii U discs were 25 gigs each.

I've been rather categorical and unwavering in my statements that anything less than parity with the rest of the home console market would turn me away after the Wii U. Anyone who frequents NX threads will tell you the same thing.

I demanded something that actually resembled a home console with parity to PS4 the barest minimum requirement before Nintendo would receive my money. This... THING that's rumoured to be released does not meet that standard.

If this is just the handheld and they've given players an option to play games on their TV and there is a home console still coming, then I take no issue with this. But if this is all they are going to offer, I don't want it. I haven't bought a handheld since the DS, which I gave away shortly after its release. I have no desire for the form factor, I have no desire for the limitations that form factor imposes.

This isn't worth my consideration and until I hear something contradictory to this rumour, I won't be in an NX thread til the unveiling to hear the final word from the horse's mouth, as I wouldn't see much point to talking about something that's being discussed as something I have no desire to own.

Call me when they release something that isn't designed as a handheld and jury-rigged into being a console.

Don't be obtuse.

Oh cool, someone else fully understands why this is terrible.

If he's the generation that's only used flat panels, the likelihood that he's even seen an arcade or that one exists near him is almost nil.

Lmao

Calm down, dude. And I'll be waiting for you at the Nintendo World store when this thing eventually launches ;)

J/k

norm9

Excited. Went all digitial this generation with the Wii U, but I'll buy cartridges on this new system. Hopefully, they'll ramp up the VC titles on the Wii U.

down 2 orth

This might be a ridiculous thought, but is it possible that this device might have every function that a regular smartphone has, and essentially be a high powered smartphone with a cartridge slot and attachable gaming pad+buttons?

You are kidding right? Why would you want hdd's in a portable system?

I hate taking my 3ds with all the cartridges, it's so easy to lose one accidentally. Id rather have a hdd where i can keep the 5 to 10 games i want to use on a trip in one single cart without the need to swap. Of course more hdds only for those that don't wanna bother deleting and copying again their games all the time. Basically, I'd rather they go all digital.

So as someone who does not intend to use this as a handheld I'm feeling pretty disappointed atm. Right now all I can view this as is a gimped home console. Hopefully they'll release a proper home console alongside this but I doubt it.

Yeah, 32 is considerably bigger than Wii U's biggest game (around 10GB more)
Not sure if that's enough for 3rd parties, but it's pretty big and you don't have to install games
Not the rumoured X1. That's nearly 3x Wii U GPU power.
That seems pretty crazy for a handheld. And I recall Miyamoto and LCGeek talking about improving the CPU as well

dcx4610

I'm pretty shocked at how far Flash Memory prices have fallen. One reason Sony beat Nintendo with the PlayStation is it literally cost pennies to make discs and then the devs made a healthy profit on the game itself.

It looks like a good brand 32GB card is going for around $10. I'd imagine Nintendo will have a deal to get that price to $3 or less. Devs might take a small hit in profit but they'll gain the fact that they are selling a product on both a mobile and console device at the same time.

I'm not sold on the NX yet but I don't think it's a bad idea at least. Nintendo clearly doesn't seem to care about competing directly with Sony and Microsoft in power so this is probably the best alternative.

Nanashrew

Banned
So as someone who does not intend to use this as a handheld I'm feeling pretty disappointed atm. Right now all I can view this as is a gimped home console. Hopefully they'll release a proper home console alongside this but I doubt it.

I think that's moot in the long run. If there is a home console variant, I see it similarly spec'd. But I see every game working across all their hardware types.

Nerrel

This goes against everything we've heard so far. Nintendo explicitly said it wasn't a hybrid, and instead claimed it would be a unified platform only in the sense of software- a common OS that would bridge different devices like Android or iOS. Iwata even mentioned a "third pillar" being possible, implying that there would still be two devices.

If this is true then it's actually great news for the handheld side of things. A much more powerful system with the ability to connect to the TV... but it would also mean that Nintendo isn't releasing a home console at all... Just an evolved version of a gameboy player. I do most of my gaming at home, even on a handheld, and would much rather have a competent home system. Pretty bummed out about this news, but it conflicts with too much to accept it as truth yet.

That right fucking paddle better have an IR camera in it. Bring it back, Nintendo.

iBlue

Just want to know.. is this more powerful than a Wii U but sort of between xbox one/ps4?

if nintendo can pull good graphics with the wii u i am not that worried tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom