• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericUser

Doa if you ask me. I already have a console for my tv ( ps4) and I also have something to play games on while I am not at home (smartphone). This thing even plays pokemon (go).

Toni

What a wacky idea, no idea who this is catered to, certainly not the north American market.

I reckon this won't be like a Nintendo DS/3DS that you could take anywhere with you.

It is a console as well.

This automatically negates it from having the same portability as phones. The idea is neat, but its competing with Tablets more than anything. And nobody has been able to succeed on the Tablet market other than Apple.

Unless it also has phone capabilities, the idea will be more profitable for Nintendo than Wii U for sure, but it won't shake the waters like iPhone/PS4.

Doa if you ask me. I already have a console for my tv ( ps4) and I also have something to play games on while I am not at home (smartphone). This thing even plays pokemon (go).
Wait, so no matter what NX is it would be DOA because you already have a console and mobile device?

TLZ

Banned
This goes against everything we've heard so far. Nintendo explicitly said it wasn't a hybrid, and instead claimed it would be a unified platform only in the sense of software- a common OS that would bridge different devices like Android or iOS. Iwata even mentioned a "third pillar" being possible, implying that there would still be two devices.

If this is true then it's actually great news for the handheld side of things. A much more powerful system with the ability to connect to the TV... but it would also mean that Nintendo isn't releasing a home console at all... Just an evolved version of a gameboy player. I do most of my gaming at home, even on a handheld, and would much rather have a competent home system. Pretty bummed out about this news, but it conflicts with too much to accept it as truth yet.

That right fucking paddle better have an IR camera in it. Bring it back, Nintendo.

Yep. This rumor might just be for the handheld and we're yet to hear anything about the home console. Handheld having gfx around Wii u gfx is expected for me. So im still waiting on the home console reveal to be near neo levels.

So maybe there's truth in this rumor, but not the complete truth.

Fredrik

What's the entirely new concept Nintendo talked about?

And Neo and Scorpio will soon arrive, pushing consoles further away, won't this put NX in a Vita-like position? Powerful handheld but not powerful enough to get the same games as on console. The first party support will be great though but I still don't understand what's the selling point here. Will it be priced as a N3DS?

Same. All I'm taking away from this is that it's another low-powered gimmick machine that will in no way be able to handle direct ports of third party games.

I hope this is fake (it is exactly what Iwata said their next-gen system would NOT be). Because it will flop hard if the marketing is about taking your console games with you - that's how Sony positioned the Vita, and it failed, because people don't want to take their console games with them. They also did the same thing with PSP. People buy Nintendo handhelds because they have unique games they CAN'T get on console, many of which are designed from the ground up as portable games.

GenericUser

Wait, so no matter what NX is it would be DOA because you already have a console and mobile device?
What innovation could it possibly bring to the table. I guess the main attraction now has been discovered ( hybrid console). I don't see many people who think "this is what I was waiting for". !similar to the wiiu tablet controller.

Magwik

Banned
I hope this is fake (it is exactly what Iwata said their next-gen system would NOT be). Because it will flop hard if the marketing is about taking your console games with you - that's how Sony positioned the Vita, and it failed, because people don't want to take their console games with them. They also did the same thing with PSP. People buy Nintendo handhelds because they have unique games they CAN'T get on console, many of which are designed from the ground up as portable games.
You have a very strange view of history if that's why the Vita failed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yep. This rumor might just be for the handheld and we're yet to hear anything about the home console. Handheld having gfx around Wii u gfx is expected for me. So im still waiting on the home console reveal to be near neo levels.

Still expecting Nintendo to suddenly whip out a console that is 4-5tflops and competes with NEO and Scorpio? Oh boy.

Then the docking station and TV output would be pointless and negate any real meaning for this device.

Maximo

There were numerous other reasons why Vita didn't succeed the *People not wanting to take their consoles games with them* I doubt was high up on the list or on the list at all.

Speely

Banned
Shit, even if there is nothing left to reveal and this is "just" an X1-powered portable that can dock and become a Shield, I am there day one. End of the day, it will still be the most powerful Nintendo device to date, and it will be the focus of ALL their development talent.

But I still think there's more to it.

Toni

And Neo and Scorpio will soon arrive, pushing console further away, won't this put NX in a Vita-like position? Powerful handheld but not powerful enough to get the same games as on console. The first party support will be great though but I still don't understand what's the selling point here. Will it be priced as a N3DS?

Nintendo will pursuit the 3DS XL / Lite iteration models down the line, I reckon.

But this time for a console as well.

Which means they will probably follow suit with an updated console like Sony and Microsoft in the future for maximum profits. Something like that would extensively benefit them. I really, really hope they do it.

I would jump in instantly for an upgraded NX down the line.

AniHawk

And Neo and Scorpio will soon arrive, pushing console further away, won't this put NX in a Vita-like position? Powerful handheld but not powerful enough to get the same games as on console. The first party support will be great though but I still don't understand what's the selling point here. Will it be priced as a N3DS?

the ps vita basically is the main platform for a lot of japanese developers who went from ps3/psv to psv/ps4. next up will basically be ps4/nx for those folks, plus support from level-5, capcom, and square enix.

western support will be in the way of family games: lego, just dance, skylanders, and minecraft. basically smash together a 3ds and a wii u in terms of library, sprinkle in a bit of ps vita, and that's probably what you can expect.

psyfi

Banned

Yeah, there really hasn't been enough consideration of this possibility in this thread. I think it's pretty reasonably likely.

Edit : though there's no way it's gonna be Neo levels of power.

I could see the controller serving a variety of purposes. It could function as a tablet, handheld gaming device or controller for a home console. The initial release would be NX that can function as a handheld as well as stream games to your television. They can release different NX attachments that can offer different control schemes and alternative gameplay. They could release consoles later that can boost its power. The NX tablet could have upgrades every 2-3 years as well. That way they still don't fully cut off both of their revenue streams.
Yes, nice if it could function as a tablet...if it has a forked version of Android or something. There's be lots of apps available. Not Nintendo's own proprietary OS...which is probably what's going to happen resulting in half arsed third party apps with little in the way of updates/feature parity.

the ps vita basically is the main platform for a lot of japanese developers who went from ps3/psv to psv/ps4. next up will basically be ps4/nx for those folks, plus support from level-5, capcom, and square enix.

western support will be in the way of family games: lego, just dance, skylanders, and minecraft. basically smash together a 3ds and a wii u in terms of library, sprinkle in a bit of ps vita, and that's probably what you can expect.

And that is not a bad thing.

There were numerous other reasons why Vita didn't succeed the *People not wanting to take their consoles games with them* I doubt was high up on the list or on the list at all.
So you don't think a lack of games hurt the Vita? Most of the games they made a big deal about at launch were ports or remakes of console games, the system had a drought of original games for a while.

I wonder if this gives credence to that 900p resolution memo running around a while back. Who needs 1080p on a 7in screen.

This? I was just thinking about it too
G0zSNYU.png

But it mentions sensor bar and no dock. It does mention gameplay flows between console/handheld aka hybrid so who knows.

AniHawk

i think the appeal of handheld games is mostly swallowed up on mobile now anyway. the pick up and go strengths that used to play well on the gb/c/a and ds are better done on phones and tablets. the 3ds was mostly successful with longer experiences and more or less took on the psp's fanbase worldwide, which was cool with long rpgs and console-like games like mario kart 7, super mario 3d world, and ocarina of time 3d.

So probably a pretty good library in the end. Methinks people will end up satisfied with this system.

The idea of take your games with you has not been a thing since the Turbo Express. The number of major cross buy/cross save games on Vita is incredibly small. The Vita never worked because developers had to mKe Vita and PS4 versions of games, and few people wanted to buy the same basic game twice just to be able to play it on the go. I think people
will really enjoy that concept if properly designed.

Also, the whole "designed as portable games" thing really does work anymore when you look at the 3DS and its lineup of console ports and console styled gaming experiences. Outside of Pokemon almost every other best aelling game is a remaster, port, or game based on a console game ip

i think the appeal of handheld games is mostly swallowed up on mobile now anyway. the pick up and go strengths that used to play well on the gb/c/a and ds are better done on phones and tablets. the 3ds was mostly successful with longer experiences and more or less took on the psp's fanbase worldwide, which was cool with long rpgs and console-like games like mario kart 7, super mario 3d world, and ocarina of time 3d.

This is well said.

What does it offer that isn't one of those two things? That's what I'm waiting to see before I pass judgment. Will it provide better console experiences than dedicated consoles and will it provide better mobile experiences than smartphones? I highly doubt it will achieve both of those (if any).

This...I might actually buy. It's a neat proposal. I don't but Nintendo consoles because I don't want all their games and the ones I do want are split between console and portable. This I could do - they'd all be in one place.

Too bad the controller will likely be outrageously bad. I sure hope it isn't.

This...I might actually buy. It's a neat proposal. I don't but Nintendo consoles because I don't want all their games and the ones I do want are split between console and portable. This I could do - they'd all be in one place.

This is how I feel as well.

yami4ct

Even if it is, there will certainly be a pro controller variant sold separately. They'll need something to support more than 2 players and offering tons of controller options has been their thing for a while now. If you mostly want if for the home console mode, it'll be fine. I also expect the built in controllers to be designed primarily to feel decent as a portable first, so it'll likely feel fine there as well.

wapplew

What does it offer that isn't one of those two things? That's what I'm waiting to see before I pass judgment. Will it provide better console experiences than dedicated consoles and will it provide better mobile experiences than smartphones? I highly doubt it will achieve both of those (if any).

Maybe there is a market in between that we don't know of.
People write off tablet when they announce it with similar claim, it's not as portable as a phone and too weak to be a laptop.

BFIB

Nintendo is going to hit the casuals hard. Probably will have an app store with their own IPs designed for on the go use ala Pokemon Go.

Still expecting Nintendo to suddenly whip out a console that is 4-5tflops and competes with NEO and Scorpio? Oh boy.

Then the docking station and TV output would be pointless and negate any real meaning for this device.
The poster you quoted never said anything like that, but why have an argument when you can just engage in straw manisms.

I retain hope that this is handheld only and Nintendo did mention before that nx was not a hybrid.

Hurgh...

You're making assumptions based purely on personal inclinations, without knowing anything whatsoever about the system, since everything we know so far is based on rumors.

I mean, you can end up hating the system regardless, but you're jumping into a lot of conclusions here. Even though, can't you enjoy the console just from a game perspective? It will feature a lot of Nintendos best IPs, to say the least.

AfroDust

I've been rather categorical and unwavering in my statements that anything less than parity with the rest of the home console market would turn me away after the Wii U. Anyone who frequents NX threads will tell you the same thing.

I demanded something that actually resembled a home console with parity to PS4 the barest minimum requirement before Nintendo would receive my money. This... THING that's rumoured to be released does not meet that standard.

If this is just the handheld and they've given players an option to play games on their TV and there is a home console still coming, then I take no issue with this. But if this is all they are going to offer, I don't want it. I haven't bought a handheld since the DS, which I gave away shortly after its release. I have no desire for the form factor, I have no desire for the limitations that form factor imposes.

This isn't worth my consideration and until I hear something contradictory to this rumour, I won't be in an NX thread til the unveiling to hear the final word from the horse's mouth, as I wouldn't see much point to talking about something that's being discussed as something I have no desire to own.

Call me when they release something that isn't designed as a handheld and jury-rigged into being a console.

Don't be obtuse.

Oh cool, someone else fully understands why this is terrible.

If he's the generation that's only used flat panels, the likelihood that he's even seen an arcade or that one exists near him is almost nil.

Stick to your guns fam. I'm of the exact same opinion.

TLZ

Banned

At least near neo should be fine. Nothing out of the ordinary now. It would never defeat the dock at all. The dock is just a recharge station and acts as tv output if you want to game your hh on tv. Nothing more. Portables with tv outs and charging is nothing new at all.

The home console would be the usual with better gfx.

No way this hh is the home console.

And where's the new gimmick?

newbong95

if pascal is indeed in nx then

from tegra x1 - base clock will get a boost around 33.629%
cuda cores in the same die size will get a increase to 25%

i.e ; 320 cores at 1.135 ghz

tegra x1 (pixel c) - 256 cores at 850mhz - 435.2 Gflops
tegra x2( probable nx) - 320 cores at 1135mhz - 726.4 Gflops

( the %s are from rough math by comparing maxwell chips to pascal equivalents and pixel c tegra x1 soc )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom