• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Hurgh...

You're making assumptions based purely on personal inclinations, without knowing anything whatsoever about the system, since everything we know so far is based on rumors.

I mean, you can end up hating the system regardless, but you're jumping into a lot of conclusions here. Even though, can't you enjoy the console just from a game perspective? It will feature a lot of Nintendos best IPs, to say the least.

You've basically just described the whole thread.

pixelation

Nintendo is going to hit the casuals hard. Probably will have an app store with their own IPs designed for on the go use ala Pokemon Go.

No they won't, Pokemon Go is a hit because its on mobile devices. It would have been far less successful had it launched on a dedicated gaming machine. I highly doubt that people will be running to their local electronic store to get a portable/console gaming hybrid, they already have their phones and tablets and shit.

I think this will have both. Kind of like the Kindle with 3G.

The amount of data needed to download a book vs play a mobile game online is not even in the same ballpark. Also, a cellular radio/GPS chip adds another $60 -$100 in costs and would require users to sign up for a data plan. The Vita tried this and that SKU was DOA.

No way in hell this thing launches with a cellular radio in it. Just not going to happen.

I don't think we're getting the whole picture with this guys. There are a few things that strike me as odd/not making sense

1. These detachable "controllers". Assuming they're just left and right, do we really expect Nintendo to have people juggling around 2/3 separate pieces per controller? Let's say this supports 4 controllers. That's would mean you either need to buy 4 handheld units (runs into same issue as Wii U with price), or 4 controls units, which mean that the screens will now have to be sold separately as well, which is a bizarre prospect.

2. This completely disregards the fact that a home console can rely on cooling, doesn't have to worry about battery life, and can have a higher wattage and stronger hardware. I refuse to believe this dock is simply a box with an HDMI port.

3. What type of connection will be used between these handheld units and thr base station? I dont think any current means wireless, USB 3.0 will provide a connection with enough bandwidth if the base station has its own hardware, unless they're using some proprietary/custom connection

I feel like this is only half the picture

yami4ct

No they won't, Pokemon Go is a hit because its on mobile devices. It would have been far less successful had it launched on a dedicated gaming machine. I highly doubt that people will be running to their local electronic store to get a portable/console gaming hybrid, they already have their phones and tablets and shit.

Yeah, I don't see this as a casual play as much as them combining their Handheld and Console market, putting all those resources into one place and praying that it can be a sustainable business. It could work. We'll have to wait and see. It's probably the biggest chance they have to keep that stuff going.

Having Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Mainline mario and zelda, and Pokemon in one place will likely mean the device should get a decent hold in Japan. The west will be interesting to watch.

Mobile is their second platform play for casuals.

takriel

There's a whole market waiting for Nintendo to save them from their awful mindless mobile games. I could see this being a success.

rekameohs

Banned
There's a whole market waiting for Nintendo to save them from their awful mindless mobile games. I could see this being a success.

How they target them will be interesting. The diehards will always be there, of course, but Nintendo needs to figure out the best way to get even a fraction of the Pokemon Go players to pony up for Pokemon NX, Mario NX, etc. Marketing this at the get-go's going to be extremely important, and that's one of the biggest things that doomed Wii U.

wapplew

How they target them will be interesting. The diehards will always be there, of course, but Nintendo needs to figure out the best way to get even a fraction of the Pokemon Go players to pony up for Pokemon NX, Mario NX, etc. Marketing this at the get-go's going to be extremely important, and that's one of the biggest things that doomed Wii U.

If this thing is a competent mini tablet after detached, could be a good selling point.
App support will be crucial thou.

I don't think we're getting the whole picture with this guys. There are a few things that strike me as odd/not making sense

1. These detachable "controllers". Assuming they're just left and right, do we really expect Nintendo to have people juggling around 2/3 separate pieces per controller? Let's say this supports 4 controllers. That's would mean you either need to buy 4 handheld units (runs into same issue as Wii U with price), or 4 controls units, which mean that the screens will now have to be sold separately as well, which is a bizarre prospect.

The Wii used 2 separate pieces for each controller. And why would the screen have to be sold separately without the controller? You buy the device with one controller and the rest are sold on their own, just like every other console.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The poster you quoted never said anything like that, but why have an argument when you can just engage in straw manisms.

I retain hope that this is handheld only and Nintendo did mention before that nx was not a hybrid.

He said near Neo, what is there to understand?

Toparaman

Banned
A unified library, no need to buy two separate Nintendo systems, and a return to cartridges. Holy shit it is a good time to be a Nintendo fan.

Only bad part is that I'm still going to have to buy the usual "extra" home console for 3rd party games. Oh well.

How many Gaffers have called other Gaffers idiots for saying NX could be a hybrid. LOL.

Let's be fair, Iwata clearly stated it was not a hybrid and that, on the other hand, there could be more form factors. The iOS and Android analogy also goes against this. If this report is true, they've changed their plans for the NX halfway through. People predicting a hybrid after Iwata's numerous comments on the subject weren't right, they were lucky.

Ploid 3.0

I just realized, the next main NX Pokemon will finally be on a home console! History in the making. What if it have online support too?

AdanVC

Holy crup this thread already has more than half a million views. The hype is real. Bring on the dissapointment, Nintendo! :D

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How can people call it hybrid? It is a portable from.the leak.
Nothing more.
A hdmi cable is not enough to become a home console imho.
If the SCD will be real, it will be a hybrid, otherwise...it is a 3ds successor in the way the ds was a successor of the gba

Chinner

Banned
So it's an iPad with controllers? Wowee Nintendo is thinking outside a box.

Shame Nintendo is missing the cultural impact of Pokemon GO, which they had no involvement with. It's bigger than the Wii, and Nintendo will have no idea why. No worries, Miyamoto will make another garbage game that reinforces gender stereotypes.

Let's be fair, Iwata clearly stated it was not a hybrid and that, on the other hand, there could be more form factors. The iOS and Android analogy also goes against this. If this report is true, they've changed their plans for the NX halfway through. People predicting a hybrid after Iwata's numerous comments on the subject weren't right, they were lucky.
Reading back to the comments it seems like he said they weren't planning on making a singular device, but they can make more than 2 now. Maybe we just read "Iwata said there's no hybrid" out of that.
Would be weird for them to mention the new OS a couple times for it to now happen

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Shame Nintendo is missing the cultural impact of Pokemon GO, which they had no involvement with. It's bigger than the Wii, and Nintendo will have no idea why. No worries, Miyamoto will make another garbage game that reinforces gender stereotypes.

KLy_JGLZ.gif

antonz

They couldn't do Pokemon Go, but they could do other mobile games. I see it happening.

No one is going to drop their IPhone that can play the mobile games to play mobile games on the NX. Hell Nintendo has enough trouble selling a dedicated handheld these days with full featured titles.

Development on this console probably started before the 3DS was even on the market dude, its not that easy to quickly push out a console....

Today is Nintendos briefing for investors right? Do you think they will adress this leak?

rec0ded1

Yo that docking station better have an additional video card or something because I won't be able to handle zelda botw not looking better than the Wii u version.

They couldn't do Pokemon Go, but they could do other mobile games. I see it happening.

I hope not. I don't want camera, gps, gyro, rear tactil, any of these mobile sensors that would make this device more expensive. Like the Vita 2 should have been. I don't want mobile games on it.

Huh?

god bless you chinner

Yo that docking station better have an additional video card or something because I won't be able to handle zelda botw not looking better than the Wii u version.
The Tegra X1 is apparently better than the Wii U as is. Not having to deal with Android OS baggage could help as well.
I do hope the dock powers it up though. I imagine not having to down clock the CPU for battery concern a would be one boost, but it would be odd for them to focus so much on the dock if all it did was function as an HDMI out.
Would have to read the patent again, but I think that's what it was for.
Could be neat if they release docks every year or so with added power.
This sounds like it will have the worst of both worlds. Bad portable system. Bad home console system. I hope this isn't true.
How is it a bad portable?

Toparaman

Banned
How can people call it hybrid? It is a portable from.the leak.
Nothing more.
A hdmi cable is not enough to become a home console imho.
If the SCD will be real, it will be a hybrid, otherwise...it is a 3ds successor in the way the ds was a successor of the gba

Because this "handheld" happens to be more powerful than their last home console.

You really want Nintendo to think outside the box? For once they're doing what countless people have said is the most logical thing they can do. By the way, let me know which iPad game comes even close to what Breath of the Wild is doing. This isn't remotely comparable to iPad.

The numerous factors that contributed to Pokemon GO's success cannot be replicated, and Nintendo would be stupid to go down that rabbit hole. Besides which, NX was always going to be a console successor to the Wii U. It's also flat out false to say Nintendo had no involvement with GO.

You sound salty as fuck about Miyamoto, but then again salty seems to be your default mood from the posts I've seen from you.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Honestly question: who is going to have an NX with them but not a phone?

Not necessarily. Kids are getting smartphones at younger ages now. Especially mow since its alot easier to get one ( availability and price) The fact that kids are getting smartphones at all is something to think about too.

I have a 15 month old son...and was legit shocked to see him swiping the screen on my phone trying open it.

For us it was alot cheaper to get the kids some cheap Android tablets for Christmas vs getting them handhelds. We got 2 more during that Amazon Prime day for Christmas...lol.

Price is gonna be key.

Also have to remember that you can get a phone and use it without a plan. Just have wifi and you are good. Just like a tablet. One son is using a phone now with no plan yet. Just connected to wifi. Can still download n play games, watch YouTube, surf the net.

psyfi

Banned
Not necessarily. Kids are getting smartphones at younger ages now. Especially mow since its alot easier to get one ( availability and price) The fact that kids are getting smartphones at all is something to think about too.

I have a 15 month old son...and was legit shocked to see him swiping the screen on my phone trying open it.

For us it was alot cheaper to get the kids some cheap Android tablets for Christmas vs getting them handhelds. We got 2 more during that Amazon Prime day for Christmas...lol.
Sure, but a lot of kids are going to want to get NXs anyways (not to mention their parents), and you may as well slap your mobile games on there when possible. I'm not saying every single mobile game will be on there, but I don't see why Nintendo would miss out on padding their library where they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom