• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

Not necessarily. Kids are getting smartphones at younger ages now. Especially mow since its alot easier to get one ( availability and price) The fact that kids are getting smartphones at all is something to think about too.

I have a 15 month old son...and was legit shocked to see him swiping the screen on my phone trying open it.

For us it was alot cheaper to get the kids some cheap Android tablets for Christmas vs getting them handhelds. We got 2 more during that Amazon Prime day for Christmas...lol.

Indeed. It is pretty crazy just how much tech is getting into small kids hands now. I mean most of us went insane over those cheap tiger handhelds etc. as kids and of course the Gameboy. That stuff was straight up garbage technology compared to the stuff kids get today in cell phones etc

Wow,lots of news and views to wake up to.A lot to take in,and were still missing pieces of the NX puzzle but at least news is starting to come now...very exciting

Coming with two very simple basic controllers is reminding me a lot of the NES (even though I can't recall if the NES actually came with two, lol). Nintendo tapping into the whole let's just redo the 80's in their entirety thing. Or just homing in on their own best genetics. A device that you can play your games on here there and everywhere with minimal hassle seems to be just what they're about. Certainly as compared to the messy modern console experience, forced updates all stopping people from playing the damn things. I'm assuming an awful lot, but of course we all are. I'm curious and vaguely supportive.

It seems too big looking at the picture.

Well that IS a mock up that's not part of anything Nintendo has released. No one actually knows what it will look like, just the guidelines.

Also it's funny to me the people who keep saying Zelda will probably look worse than the Wii U version even though they literally leaked a possible baseline chip that's at least 3x as powerful as what the Wii U was.

Because this "handheld" happens to be more powerful than their last home console.

You really want Nintendo to think outside the box? For once they're doing what countless people have said is the most logical thing they can do. By the way, let me know which iPad game comes even close to what Breath of the Wild is doing. This isn't remotely comparable to iPad.

The numerous factors that contributed to Pokemon GO's success cannot be replicated, and Nintendo would be stupid to go down that rabbit hole. Besides which, NX was always going to be a console successor to the Wii U. It's also flat out false to say Nintendo had no involvement with GO.

You sound salty as fuck about Miyamoto, but then again salty seems to be your default mood from the posts I've seen from you.

chinner is joking. he is being funny. he made a joke.

holy hell. step back, take a breath.

I find this to be a GREAT disappointment.
3rd party support for high quality AAA level gaming will be even more non existent.

Sure it might get flappy bird, candy crush and a buch of other mobile trash no one wants.
But who wants that?

Just put Mario Kart 9 on PC or PS4.

3rd party support for high quality AAA level gaming will be even more non existent.

Sure it might get flappy bird, candy crush and a buch of other mobile trash no one wants.
But who wants that?

See dragon punch? THIS is a good joke.

What a funny man.

But who wants that?

Why don't they put the PS4 on Mario Kart 9?

Did you ever think of that?

Gemüsepizza;211543974 said:
How is this "funny"? Have you seen how succesful Pokemon Go is on third-party hardware?

Do you realize how much different the popularity of a free-to-start mobile spinoff is from a hypothetical Mario Kart 9?

I hope that it will have a high resolution screen this time...

720p max. 540p would be awesome with this kind of power, but they want you to connect it to the TV as well, so the games will probably run at 720p.

Uh.. You guys realise that Tegra means Nintendo are effectively skipping a home console generation and only making a handheld right?

I mean I don't really care either way anymore but that's the situation.

Not really thinking about power, Wii U is quite weak already so it's no surprise an ARM based solution would be better.

Even in a handheld format, Nintendo's really good at squeezing blood from stone. So being more powerful than the Wii U to begin with helps with that.

Grrr. Everyone is forgetting this
sharp_free_form_display_1-729x420.jpg

The two controllers could easily dock inside the display with this tech.

Kurt

It seems that people just posting stuff before reading the actual post. They think that the mockup is the real design. They think that the cpu is even worse than the wii u while its at least 3x times powerfull. Yet they throw nonsens in this thread.

I'm sure that we would see some free form screen shape... but we dont know how it would look like.

takriel

Nintendo cannot afford for the NX to be seen as a 1.5 Wii U upgrade, seeing how the ancient tech in the Wii U is a big reason for its flop. They have to make clear immediately that the NX is substantially more powerful than Wii U and can compete with Xbone and PS4. Think the Tegra X1 will do this?

For someone who does mostly home console gaming, what would be the appeal of NX over Wii U besides "more Nintendo games"? And what exactly did Nintendo think competitors would copy if they showed this at E3? I really think we are missing some major pieces of the puzzle.

random25

How is this "funny"? Have you seen how succesful Pokemon Go is on third-party hardware?

What does third-party hardware mean here? Besides, smartphones are practically a different market overall as its hardware and core functionality is productivity and communications. Gaming is just their side show.

For someone who does mostly home console gaming, what would be the appeal of NX over Wii U besides "more Nintendo games"? And what exactly did Nintendo think competitors would copy if they showed this at E3? I really think we are missing some major pieces of the puzzle.

We still have to see what NX is all about first. We don't even know what the hardware actually looks like, even a mock up, for starters.

Nintendo cannot afford for the NX to be seen as a 1.5 Wii U upgrade, seeing how the ancient tech in the Wii U is a big reason for its flop. They have to make clear immediately that the NX is substantially more powerful than Wii U and can compete with Xbone and PS4. Think the Tegra X1 will do this?

It'd help them catch up, but it's not exactly toe to toe, Digital Foundry speculated the delay to March was to integrate the more powerful model after the X1, but that's still pure speculation.

I think from what I've read I see this as a handheld 1st main console 2nd.At least that's what I think,as someone who loves his handheld consoles I couldn't be more excited.

Of course we don't really know which Tegra this will end up with,just first rumblings...so I'm hoping it ends up with the brand new chip

Why do they have to compete with the Xbone and PS4?

They said it themselves, blue ocean strategy.

AzaK

Well I don't believe the "copy" paranoia for a second - Nintendo always lie about stuff.

The only piece I can see missing, if there is one at all, is if the SCD thing happens. That is, the dock provides an additional GPU or some such and maybe multiple tablets, when docked can be used to augment each other.

Why do they have to compete with the Xbone and PS4?

They said it themselves, blue ocean strategy.

Did they not see all the people floating happily in that blue ocean on their phones?

Neiteio

Apparently a Tegra X2 would have better power consumption than a Tegra X1, which is why Nintendo might go with the more advanced option instead of the low-to-midrange option like they usually do. Battery life is key in a handheld like this.

If it's a portable first hybrid like device, I think it could make itself be seen like a handheld or the Wii (in a good way)
3DS missed on every AAA multiplat and people still love it since they don't expect a handheld to run any of that and the exclusives made it worth owning.

Don't think any reports indicate this

Just use your brain. I really hope we don't have to go through a whole period of delusion before the reveal, if these specs are true then it is a handheld with video out, simple as that.

Fine by me, I would have liked a proper home console I guess but I am not really surprised that Nintendo aren't doing one.

Wolfie5

Not convinced this "leak" is real and I don't think I will be by any rumors/"leaks" until Nintendo unveils it.

Even if this is real, I feel we are missing more than half the picture. All I am seeing right now is a powerful handheld that can also be connected to a TV. This will probably retail for $299 and that will be too much for those that usually buy a handheld. I just don't think this is it.

Magwik

Banned
Specs were not what caused the Wii U to fail

Just use your brain. I really hope we don't have to go through a whole period of delusion before the reveal, if these specs are true then it is a handheld that hooks up to your TV, simple as that.

It's probably a bit more than that, considering Just Dance is a game that works with NX.

Just use your brain. I really hope we don't have to go through a whole period of delusion before the reveal, if these specs are true then it is a handheld with video out, simple as that.

Fine by me, I would have liked a proper home console I guess but I am not really surprised that Nintendo aren't doing one.
There's nothing indicating that Nintendo is only planning on releasing this. They were working on an OS development ecosystem like Android or iOS so it would be weird to just have one system

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
after 3DS, it would be nice to have a bigger, pretty screen

The problem is that I very much like my 3DS to be pocketable. It's why I stuck with the original hardware until the "standard" New Nintendo 3DS dropped stateside.

My biggest fear with this thing is that it'll be XL-sized or even bigger. That's just a total deal breaker in the handheld department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom