• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

Index

37. Parallax (Steam, 2016/08/06, 5.6 hours)

Parallax is a first person multidimensional puzzle platformer! It looks kinda like Antichamber, but the puzzles actually make sense. It's nothing but logic, no lateral thinking required. Each level got a goal to reach, but getting there is the tricky bit. The player needs to clear the way by rearranging platforms, switching portals and navigating obstetrical courses. Sounds easy enough, but Parallax adds another element to the mix: each level got a second dimension and solutions require multidimensional traversal, interaction and thinking. I had a couple of moments, when I had a basic idea of what to do, but my brain only had a subconscious understanding of the big picture. Yet I, competently, dream walked though the puzzle without really knowing exactly how. The whole game is super tiny, install size around 60MB. Runs ultra smooth and is super easy on the eyes (if you change to a less contrast heavy color scheme).

38. Zenzizenzic (Steam, 2016/08/13, 4.3 hours)

Interesting take on the twinstick shooter genre. The controls are extended by acceleration and deceleration of your "shooting box thingy", shields can be exploded to cancel incoming bullets, two special weapons can be triggered after being charged with killed enemy droppings. Lots of things to juggle while dodging bullet hell patterns and even homing hostile fire. The twinstick shooter part isn't the biggest challenge, applying the gameplay toolkit correctly to control the chaos is key to beating Zenzizenzic's 5 levels. Normal, the lowest difficulty setting, is very manageable in the first three stages and things get real in the last two stages. The game gets insanely hard towards the end, but one can trade in score for extra life. Getting enough score is the catch though. Mere 0.8% of players on Steam got the achievement for clearing the last level on the lowest difficulty setting! Great gameplay, presentation and soundtrack; only the UI and horrible controller assignment via the Unity launcher could have used way more polish.

39. Ratchet & Clank (PS4, 2016/08/14, ~8 hours)

Excellent reboot, they changed enough to keep me in a constant state of dé vu: great mix of old and new. The gameplay was fun as ever, mayhem and bolts everywhere. The presentation got a nice boost by the more capable PS4, so lush. 30 fps is a bummer "on paper", but the almost perfect frame pacing still makes everything super smooth. I had preferred better anti-aliasing to match the otherwise almost CGI like quality of the visuals. Oh well, maybe we'll get that for the next reboot on PS6.

40. Handsome Mr. Frog (Steam, 2016/08/16, 3 hours)

It's like someone unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom: Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. Pure arcade fun in form of a single screen platformer driven by score and hat chasing. You ARE Handsome Mr. Frog, an adorable amphibian with impeccable style and a fable for hats. You tongue-fetch foes into your chubby cheeks, then spit them as projectiles against their cohorts, wave after wave, stage after stage, until you run out of frog life. There are random bubbles with bonus points, extra life and handsomeness boosting hats. The gameplay is super fun, chaotic with lots of random chain reactions and collateral damage. The game features wicked sprite work, which is also lovingly animated and everything is accompanied by awesome chiptunes.

Hikami

Main post

Game 25: Tales of Zestiria | 33 hours | August

2kEZiEy.jpg

Had given up on this game like only a month after it came out. It's the only Tales game I never finished though and that was bothering me so I finished it up today. Had given up because they make you collect all the iris gems to advance and that was just a series of really boring fetch quests. Finally got through it though.
Was worth it enough to hear Rising Up at least.
Story fell apart halfway through sadly and gameplay systems made no sense to me even after so many hours. I really liked the cast of characters though which makes me sad that the rest wasn't all that great. Haven't seen the anime adaptation yet, hoping that retcons some of the bad plot.

I'll probably count the Alisha DLC story as a separate entry depending on how long it is.
--
Game 26: Momodora | 2 hours | August

hSiCFt9.jpg

Fun short game. Though kinda frustrating after dying so many times. The controls didn't feel all that snappy so at times I felt like the game was killing me instead of user error.
--
Game 27: Momodora II | 2 hours | August

p0yEZ9M.jpg

Pretty much the same as the first game. Though I think I liked the first one better. It was hard to distinguish from the background and foreground at times with this one.

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-26
Detailed Impressions 27-xx

29. The Beginner's Guide - 1.5 Hours
NjtT1dv.jpg

Charlie Kaufman: The Game. The creator of The Stanley Parable offers up an introspective look into, essentially, the human condition. The Beginner's Guide explores themes including but not limited to: relationships, creativity, depression, anxiety and validation. The game is presented almost like a director's commentary, with constant voice-overs guiding you through a museum of different levels and game designs, leading you by the nose instead of discovering and exploring for yourself. And that's fine, the style of storytelling is completely in service to the design of the game. Towards the end, I was anticipating some twist of emotional grandeur that never came, instead the game opts for a pensive, self-reflecting and melancholy conclusion. The ambiguous ending is one of the game's greatest strengths, opening itself up to personal interpretation and giving the player some fat to chew on after the credits roll. There are almost zero "gamey" elements here so it's certainly not for everyone, however for anyone up for exploring a perspective of the creative process and the philosophical side of game development I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better game.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm going to be clearing out a huge chunk of games pretty soon but first I'm going to focus on the biggest ones and once they're complete I'll add in the other games I'm currently playing.

2ScRWEe.jpg

Game #10: Persona Q - 64 Hours and 37 Minutes[Complete]
I FINALLY beat this game. I'm not used to dungeon crawlers so I got stuck in the second labyrinth and just ended up dropping the game for quite a long time. I wanted to come back and finish it so I switched to easy mode and had a lot more fun with the game until I figured out there was a lot of OP skills and Persona's that made everything easy including money and level grinding which allowed me to switch back to normal.

My main party for most of the game was Koromaru, P4Yu, Akihiko, Kanji and Yukiko but in the last fight I swapped out Yukiko for P3Protag and got everyones ultimate weapons. I ended up really enjoying this game and I'm glad I pushed through and finished it. I loved the interactions between both casts and the story was interesting enough for a crossover game.

Final levels were in the 80's and 90% of sidequests completed. I would give this game a solid 8/10.

gbV5oLS.jpg

Game #11: Shin Megami Tensei IV - [In Progress]
...So I wasn't expecting to die in the tutorial parts of them game and yet....

There's no way I can handle that much save and reloading so I switched the difficulty the moment it allowed me to. I'm not very far but so far the game's okay.

Original Post

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
300px-Return_to_PopoloCrois_A_Story_of_Seasons_Fairytale_Box_art.jpg

Wasn't really a return to PopoloCrois for me since this is my first time playing the series! Glad I asked for the game though since it was good fun!

Games Beaten: 44 / 52
Total Playtime: 782:41:15
01 - 27
28 - ??

Hikami

Main post

Game 28: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations | 22 hours | August

rXtBDE7.jpg

Amazing game. I've been hearing a lot of people say that this was the best one in the series and they weren't wrong. What a ride.
I've just got Apollo Justice left, can't wait to start it. (Went out of order and had already played Dual Destinies). Then I just have to wait for 6 to come out next month.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #15: Metroid Fusion (GBA VC).
Time Played: 07:31 hours.
Completion Reached: Cleared the game with 100% items.

Quite an appropiate title to finish this week! Continuing with my Metroid spree, after playing through the 3 Prime games I finally get the chance to return to 2D Metroid again. Being very honest, as great as the Prime games are, I prefer the 2D ones.

Anyway, Metroid Fusion is a GBA title released as the sequel of Super Metroid, although the plot borrows heavily from Metroid 2 (another topical game) and, timeline-wise, the game takes place just after the maligned Other M. Gameplay is very similar to Super Metroid, with most of Samus moves being taken from that game. However, there are small changes here and there like Wall Jumps being modified and differences in how Samus' momentum shifts when jumping. In any case, despite the gameplay remaining very similar, the structure of the game was changed dramatically. While Super Metroid left you alone to explore a large world, Fusion takes a much more linear approach, giving you missions and objectives to guide your progress. Many people love Metroid for the exploration and isolation so I can imagine some fans were disappointed in this aspect of the game but there's still a lot of exploring to be done.

Fusion, unlike previous Metroid games, has a much more fleshed out story that, in many ways, hints to what Other M would try to attempt several years later. The game follows Samus as she explores a space station that has been attacked by mysterious parasites, named X parasites, which have the ability to copy the abilities and appearances of their hosts. The story's simple but there are many plot twists along the way that make it pretty interesting. Also, the game manages to create a very creepy atmosphere where you always feel in danger from the X parasite. There are many tense and scary moments during the game, which is pretty cool.

Overall, I really liked the game. Samus controls great thanks to her trademark agility in the 2D games (wall jumps, speed boosts and space jumps are so much fun), the areas are neatly designed with many secrets and the bosses are pretty challenging (they hit really hard...). Recommended!

chrixter

Main post

29. Mass Effect 2
★★★★☆ - 17 hours - Completed 8/6/2016
Mass Effect 1 was certainly a flawed game that needed some streamlining, but Mass Effect 2 strips away a little too much of what I enjoyed about the first game, which remains my favorite. Still, ME2 is a great sequel that I found hard to put down.

30. Pokémon Go
★★★☆☆ - Level 20
What was initially exciting and addictive due to the Pokémon license and geolocation integration just became too much of an unsatisfying grind with mediocre-at-best gameplay mechanics. But it did hold my attention for a few dozen hours.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
First post of the year

Game 39 - Final Fantasy: Record Keeper - Android - Completed Aug 20th, 2016
I'm more or less retiring from Record Keeper, as I have Brave Exvious and Mobius to attend to. The game has been great and I've probably put in 300 hours+ during my time with it, without having ever paid a dime. In addition to devoting more time to other games, I've also got to the point where I'm doing 50 Mythril relic draws and ending up with 11 items that are all duplicates to the point that I can't even combine them up any more. The only way I can advance now is on the off chance that I'll get the "super rare" thing the banners advertise, and honestly it's not that fun to grind for so long just to trade 50 Mythril for a few thousand gil. I've also unlocked all of the characters, and broke all their level caps, and raised a good number of them up to max level. I feel like I've done everything there is to do in this game, although if a particularly interesting event comes along, I might boot it up and see what it's all about.

Game 40 - The Beginner's Guide - PC Steam - Completed Aug 20th, 2016
I'm not really sure what to think of this game. It's obviously a narrative spun in such a way that it's meant to make you believe that this guy's friend had a decent into madness and a total breakdown. It's a clever tactic and clever writing wrapped around a horribly basic premise. In short, I suppose I could say I liked it for what it was (a story) but still felt like it's one of the most shallow "gaming" experiences ever - it's a simple walking simulator that's intentionally obtuse. I'm happy that I essentially only paid $0.33 for it.

Game 41 - Epistory: Typing Chronicles - PC Steam - Completed Sept 7th, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with Epistory, even though I hit a few snags along the way. First off, my computer had a power surge a few minutes after I booted it up, and caught fire. I was able to put out the fire before any real harm was done and was able to get back up and running in a couple day's time. The second snag was when I hit the end of the third chapter, there is a section that was wholeheartedly too difficult and it almost made me rage-quit. I'm kinda glad I didn't though, because I thought the end of the game was pretty nice. The game plays a lot like the old keyboarding games I used to play in school that teach you typing, but with a twist that obviously draws inspiration from Bastion. Overall a pretty positive experience, and it played nice at 1440p.

Game 42 - Homefront: The Revolution - PC Steam - Completed Sept 11th, 2016
Homefront had a free Steam weekend that included the single player campaign, so I took that as a challenge to finish the game before 1pm Sunday when the free offer ended. It's 11:06am now and I just beat it with about two hours to spare. It took me almost 14 hours to complete. I liked the game quite a bit - I felt like it was Far Cry without the sex and drugs and exotic locations. The storyline kinda kept dragging on but overall it was entertaining. Definitely worth the price I paid.

Game 43 - Dragon Quest Builders - Playstation 4 - Completed Oct 29th, 2016
I've not completed a game in almost two months, and it's primarily due to Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest Builders. I finally finished builders and I have to say I liked it quite a bit. I've never been too big on Minecraft, so at first I was worried that DQB would be a bit of a bore. However, I found it to be very engaging and really great. I missed a ton of stuff, just doing the story mode without worrying about the special missions, so there is a lot I might go back and do some day. However, I've got World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy XV to last the year, so I'm wondering if I'll finish another 9 games in the next two months I have left in 2016.

Game 44 - Abzu - PC Steam - Completed Nov 5th, 2016
This is the first game this year I beat during my Extra Life 24-hour gaming marathon. The game was amazingly pretty and hugely relaxing. I'm glad that I played it during the opening half of my marathon, because I think if I would have played it 20 or so hours in that it would have put me right to sleep. The game had a few interesting puzzles and took a lot of the same concepts from Journey. The game lasted almost exactly two hours, which was the perfect amount of time for featuring it as part of my 24-hour stream.

Game 45 - Virginia - PC Steam - Completed Nov 5th, 2016
I'm not really sure what to think of this game. The music was incredibly beautiful and worked perfectly with the story being told. The story elements themselves, despite jumping around quite a bit, were interesting in that a lot of things were portrayed without a single line of dialogue from the characters. It was certainly a unique experience, and at 92 minutes played it was not only a good fit for the live-stream but was also the perfect bite-sized game to capture the essence of what it tried to emulate: cinema. A lovely game despite having some confusing sections that probably could have used a line or two of spoken words.

Game 46 - Firewatch - PC Steam - Completed Nov 6th, 2016
I absolutely loved (almost) everything about Firewatch. The story was compelling and mysterious, the music and animation were top-notch, and they completely nailed the time period being portrayed. The beginning of the game was pretty depressing with it's "choose your own adventure" style back-story building narrative, but once that piece was over and done with, I thought the rest of the game went great. The game took me a touch over 3 hours to complete, but it was mostly because I kept taking the long way around to get places - either by choice because the environment was outstanding, or by accident because I kept getting lost in the game's tangled maze of a map. Easily a contender that deserves high marks in this year's GOTY voting for me.

Game 47 - Shadow Complex: Remastered - PC Steam - Completed Nov 6th, 2016
Yes - another run through Shadow Complex, this time on Steam and earning those sweet sweet Steam achievements. Still a great game with a solid blend of action, adventure, and metroid-like backtracking. I did a pretty solid run in about three hours time and it was the last game I finished before ending my live-stream this year. I think I did pretty well, considering I was still able to beat the game after having my brain work overtime for nearly 24 hours before starting. The Steam version, sadly, had some real framepacing issues that I didn't experience in the version offered for free that I played late last year. Still absolutely incredible.

Game 48 - Feeding Frenzy - Xbox One - Completed Nov 9th, 2016
I needed something to play while Blue Dragon downloaded. Took about an hour. Still great but a really basic game with an extremely low difficulty and crazy-ass achievements.

Game 49 - Infamous: Second Son - Playstaiton 4 - Completed Nov 13th, 2016
This is my second time playing Infamous: Second Son and I had a blast with it. I was testing out my PS4 Pro, and the game ran much better than it did on my stock PS4. I played the "Evil" path this time, and while the ending wasn't nearly as satisfying, it was genuinely a lot of fun to play as the bad guy. I'm looking forward to other games getting a PS4 Pro patch, because I felt like it breathed new life into this title.

Game 50 - The Legend of Zelda - NES Classic Edition - Completed Nov 24th, 2016
What a wonderful game, and probably the best in the lot that's available on the NES Classic Edition. I pre-ordered mine from Target months ago when they had pre-orders live for about 20 minutes and I'm glad I got it. I wish the controller were longer, but I've ordered some after-market extension cords and even a NES to NES Classic controller adapter so I can use my old dogbone controllers. Anyway, Zelda is always great and brings back a lot of really fond memories for me. I died 3 times (I've done it before with 0) so I'm a bit rusty. Still a great game after 30 years though and probably always will be.

Game 51 - Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition - Playstation 4 - Completed Nov 29th, 2016
I played through the campaign of Diablo 3 again but this time on PS4. My wife played along side for this one, and the two player split screen couch coop was surprisingly decent. We were around level 55 when we defeated Malthiel in act V, but we were fastidious in killing monsters through most of the game. Even though I beat the game and watched the credits roll, I'm looking forward to raising up to level 70 (for paragon levels), doing the adventure mode, and unlocking the rest of the stuff for our very-badass characters. There aren't many games that my wife enjoys playing, and usually when she gets to playing something she doesn't give up easily (she's been playing Gems of War for about a year solid now) so I imagine we'll have a lot of adventures in Diablo 3 yet to come.

Game 52 - Xanadu Next - PC Steam - Completed Dec 3rd, 2016
Wow this game was great fun. Even though it was a super (10 year) late English release that felt a bit dated, I really enjoyed this game a lot. The game had a very solid "one more turn" feel to it, and it played like a mix between Zelda and Dark Souls, with really tight controls on the action side, huge difficulty spikes at times (which I loved), and passages that would open up to present shortcuts back to the main hub area at fairly regular intervals. My only complaint would be that some of the achievements didn't happen the way they were supposed to (for instance, I leveled up all my guardians but Steam still only shows 63/82 levels completed). To give this game a perfect 10, I would have liked to have it modernized at least to the point of having voice acting for the dialog - although after listening to the phonetic nightmare of an end-game theme, maybe that wouldn't have been so great after all. Either way, this game was amazing and I'm glad I was able to end the challenge this year with something truly special.

Game 53 - Kingdom Rush Frontiers - PC Steam - Completed Dec 3rd, 2016
I didn't realize that I had almost completely finished Kingdom Rush Frontiers during this year's Extra Life campaign, but it turns out that I had. I booted it up to get my tower defense kick, and after beating a couple of new levels, I had finished the primary boss and was watching the credits roll. I had previously beat this on Android a couple of years ago, so I guess I should have known what to expect. Still a great game and a solid entry in the tower defense genre.

Game 54 - 12 Labours of Hercules IV: Mother Nature - PC Steam - Completed Dec 23rd, 2016
It's not secret to anyone that I'm a huge fan of these 12 Labours games. This one was more of the same and it was wonderful for it. Nothing else to say that hasn't been said in the other reviews of the other games I've beat this year. Again I didn't try going for the "beat the developers record 10 times achievement" because it's total bullshit. I bought part 6 during the Steam sale so I'm ready to play that after I've beaten part 5.

Past challenges:

ChrisD

Anybody need a prime definition of procrastination? I've got a freaking backlog of finished games I need to do write-ups on :lol

Project Diva X, March 31st, 25 hours/15 Hours

Game 8: Project Diva X -- PS Vita -- 25 Hours/15 Hours -- Beat on 3/31/2016

A game that I had a lot of opinions on in the first two weeks because I spent a good bit of money to import it. Good and bad. But I'm a horrible flip-flopper when it comes to early impressions.

A lot of time has passed, though, and my opinions have solidified.

Despite not being the most content-packed title the series has given us -- containing a mere 30 songs -- I find Project Diva X's playlist to be comprised of a fine selection. Perhaps it's because there aren't as many as usual, but I definitely grew to enjoy what was there quite a bit. Whereas my typical play sessions with the older titles (one of which has 56 songs!) will be a rotation of six or seven staple songs and perhaps an extra Random or two thrown-in just for good measure, X sees almost the entire tracklist in play. This paints my experience with it to be extremely varied despite its technical shortcomings.

To best explain it, I realized that you can relate it to a backlog quite easily! Is it a good thing that the latest in a series contains less content than the game before it, and WAY less content than a game it released only months ahead of? Well, no. But I'm playing more of what's being given instead of over-looking large portions of the game at hand. Because while I definitely love to have a ton of stuff to do in my games, having all those track names stare you down gets kind of daunting if you're just looking to pick-up-and-play something... Again, much like a backlog and the conundrum of "What do I play," for ten minutes followed by, "well shoot now it's too late/I don't want to play." [Sidenote, I don't consider my collection a backlog, but I definitely have the issues many talk of, lol]

Something Project Diva X does NOT disappoint in even one bit is the visuals department. Lighting, models, animations, they all look great; ESPECIALLY when comparing it to previous Vita titles. Seriously, the game looks clean. The soon-to-be-released PS4 version also looks absolutely stellar -- they jacked their lighting game up for that.

A change that was heavily seen as negative before release was the removal of "Story" videos. Every song's PV in Project Diva X is one thing: a Vocaloid dancing on a stage. The stages vary, and of course, the choreography does, too. This is something that, while still something to shake your head at, doesn't actually feel like the huge con I saw it as before release. They did pretty good work on the choreography, giving the characters more fluid movements than before (and seemingly more of said movements in any one video), and the many backing stages have some cool stuff going on. Lots of vibrant pop, and plenty of energy for most, but fittingly darker tones of color for the songs that call for it. Long story short, if asked by a Dev if I wanted story PVs back, I'd say yes because... well, I liked them. But I also wouldn't be disappointed if I was told the next game would be another stage show. It doesn't detract from the game like I initially thought.

Now for the elephant in the room. Random Module Drops. For those who've not played the Project Diva series, a quick rundown: you can change your characters' entire look by switching "Modules." In every game prior, after a successful playthrough of a song you would be rewarded points to spend on a multitude of items carried by the in-game shop. One of these things were Modules. So the loop was: play game >> build up points >> buy new looks.

Project Diva X does away with this. In fact, it does away with points entirely. The only thing you see at the end of a song is your score. So, how does one get Modules? By playing the games' somewhat clunky Story Mode (don't be fooled by use of the word 'story', there's really nothing to make note of in it). Playing a song in Story Mode adds a new feature to the pre-existing "Chance Time segment" feature that the games have used for a long while: you will also be given a random Module on successfully completing a Chance Time to go along with your song completion/score boost. The modules' drop table is mostly shared across the game, but each song also has -- at minimum -- one rare exclusive. So while you can get a handful of Modules for each Vocaloid while playing any song, if you want, say for example, Miku's Streaming Heart module, you will have to play that song, in Story Mode, as Miku.

Let me be honest here, I'm a sucker for "loot" when it's built into a game and requires no real moolah. But the Random Module Drop has a massive flaw (not counting the subjectivity of the randomness!): you can only get new Modules if you're playing in Story Mode. This is a big issue for me, as playing in that mode you don't keep Perfects you obtain, they do not go on record. You do not get to see a clear counter of how many times you've played a song. Parts of the video are cut out to show the Random Module animation. And the one that will matter for everyone, you have to go through dialogue after every few songs. Then you have to go back into the Story Mode menu, choose your song, choose your difficulty, select the Vocaloid and Stage you want... and then start the game. It's all cumbersome whenever there is a mode that is more streamlined in every way still in the game, one that has been in the games since the beginning. But playing in said streamlined mode means you don't get any goodies, as all of them are locked behind the silly Story Mode.

There's another feature that I don't quite see as needed: the Diva Room being front and center. No longer relegated to its own menu, everyone gets to have their favorite Vocaloid staring at them every time they turn on the game or go back to the Main Menu. Though to be honest, I also don't see any issues with it, so while I don't think it's "needed" it's fine and having it in newer titles will be A-Okay. Really, it's just one of those things that sticks out when looking at a new entry in a series, so I felt it needed to be mentioned.

A great feature which has been added that definitely needs mentioned is the change of the Scoring System. In previous titles, every song had its own total score. In Project Diva X, each song has right around 99,000 points. There are still some variables from song to song, perhaps the total is a bit under, maybe it even goes over by a few thousand, but a Perfect play will always land you right near the mark. This is such an excellent feature because it comes as a part of something greater in that your accuracy of hitting notes with proper timing is given more importance in a score, while Technical Zones, Chance times, and note combos have been given much less weight. Every note is treated as equally important, not your combo, or your skill in "that one section of the song that gives you all the points!"

To try and explain with an example, in a previous title I once played a song better than ever before, hitting nearly every note with a spot-on rating when my pre-existing Perfect (that is, hit all notes) playthrough had a large amount of 'Fines' (hit the note, but slightly off-time)... Unfortunately, despite my highly accurate play, I didn't get a new High Score because I missed one note in a Technical Zone -- a loss of thousands of points! Project Diva X does things differently and instead focuses on your hit accuracy. I've set new records on songs that I had Perfected already despite missing two notes. But it makes sense, because I played better with a 95% hit accuracy as opposed to a 92%. It's a more readable, more sensible, and more rewarding spotlight.

In the end, Project Diva X is a fun game. The core gameplay is still just as fun as ever, and the new Scoring System is a massive improvement for those who like to see their progress. While the Module system is a bit of a mess, the actual game: hitting notes on-time alongside music, is far from it.

So... I hope I didn't look too negative in this write-up! I can't stress enough that I have greatly enjoyed Project Diva X. The content is all a joy to play through. Music choices are low in quantity but feel like they go together very well, resulting in a wonderful package. The game is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely feel like it still has its place alongside the immensely content-rich Project Diva game known as Future Tone for PS4. Less bang for your buck? Sure. Still worth buying? Most definitely.

Main Post

Catvoca

Banned
Anybody need a prime definition of procrastination? I've got a freaking backlog of finished games I need to do write-ups on :lol

I know that feeling. I've finished 35 games so far but only done write-ups on like 15 of them (and mine aren't anywhere near as detailed as yours!). I'm sooo far behind lol.

ChrisD

I have about 8 game thumbnails made and uploaded to imgur waiting haha!
I know that feeling. I've finished 35 games so far but only done write-ups on like 15 of them (and mine aren't anywhere near as detailed as yours!). I'm sooo far behind lol.

Feels nice to know I'm not alone haha.

Game 9: 3D Outrun -- 3DS -- 2 Hours -- Beat on 3/30/2016

Outrun is a rather highly-regarded arcade time attack racing game. (That's a mouthful.) While the 3DS version very obviously cannot replicate the arcade experience, the port is well-done and I'd like to think I still got a game somewhat close to the praise which the arcade brings.

Outrun's gameplay is very arcade-y. I'm talking an entire run-through of the game only taking a matter of minutes. This makes it an excellent pick-up-and-play title. Multiple routes are included, which is a nice way to bolster the content side of things.

The controls are smooth. There's no real bells and whistles here. The largest thing to make note of is the Low and High gears which work just as you'd expect two gears to work in a Video Game. Low gear can't go as fast and you have better control of things, as well as faster acceleration... I think? Don't quote me on the acceleration bit. High gear is able to achieve faster speeds than low, but you can't turn as smoothly due to you know, moving at ridiculous speeds. You can switch between the two gears at will by pressing a button, very simple. Aside from the gears you have an acceleration button and a button for your brakes. So the entire game is controlled with a circle pad and three buttons. And it feels just right.

The port actually has a lot of work put into it. There's a large amount of extra features, including options for visual effects, different control layouts, stuff to alter the difficulty, and a few other little things. So you can either play the game in it's "Original" state, or in a modified-to-your-liking version. To tell you the truth, I just stuck with Original for just about everything. The one thing I did modify was my gameplay screen, changing the full-screen to one out of a number of possible displays. I ended up with (stay with me here) a smaller screen with the gameplay, within a virtual arcade machine, within the 3DS screen. The middle image would also tilt left or right when I made sharp turns! A rather large thing to change for staying "true to the classic", but I really liked the immersion it added when paired alongside the 3DS' namesake capability to display 3D stuff.

Going back to touch more on the topic of arcade-y gameplay, you are timed rather ruthlessly. The in-game countdown starts out with the tiniest bit over enough time to race to the first branching path. These also double as a checkpoint. Once you pass the first branch, you are given just a little over enough time to make it to the next pair! Basically, you can't screw up more than once if you want to see the very end of your chosen route, and *not* a Time Out screen. I believe somewhere in the port's options is an option to make this much less strict, but I'd actually not suggest doing so unless you're just getting really fed up with multiple attempts. The game is unforgiving, but not actually all that difficult once you play a route enough... Basically, it's an Arcade game! It has the kind of mastery curve that really only comes with arcade-style stuff.

All of that said, I only made it through two full routes. So I haven't actually seen all that the game has to offer. It felt pretty good making it to both "endings", as the timer was pretty low on either accounts. The paths I took were those I figured would be the most scenic. Well, as scenic as you can get from pixels moving at high speeds! They were definitely home to great backgrounds.

Why would you want scenic locales in an Arcade Game? Well, first off, who are you and why don't you want scenic locales in every game? Second, because Outrun's soundtrack is magnificent! If one thing is consistent with every thing I'd ever heard on Outrun, it was that the music was some catchy stuff. And the king-of-the-hill, the one everyone knew, is Magical Sound Shower. Let me say that I'm now a part of that camp after only fifteen minutes with the game. If you enjoy chiptune music with some super catchy melodies and kickin' bass lines, Outrun has you covered. I also enjoyed the other songs the game has to offer (you select your own music before each run by changing the radio channel!), but Magical Sound Shower was my favorite. It was probably the song that played for at least 80 minutes of my first 120.

I considered the two hour mark a good time to say I "beat" Outrun. It was really just an arbitrary number at first, but it definitely felt like enough time to decide if I liked the game or not once I reached it. I've played it for three more hours since then, and still enjoy my time with it. There's not much to really do but master the small-for-today's standards amount of content, but that's not inherently a bad thing. Again, it feels like a true (classic) Arcade Game. The kind that sort of guzzle quarters but still brings joy and that spark to get better at the title... Like what we've come to know as the mass populace mobile games of today, minus the Freemium hooks and other unfortunate detriments that come with the model. While I only paid $3 for the game due to a sale (And in fact, it's on sale for $3 again as I type this up!), I can say that if you know you're a fan of or think you may enjoy some old-fashioned Arcade time-attack fun, Outrun 3D is worth buying at it's normal eShop price of $6.

Oh yeah and also I know it's technically 3D Out Run but Outrun 3D feels more normal to me so uh... yeah. Hope that doesn't bug anyone too much.

Main Post

Falchion

Original Post

41) Beyond Two Souls - 12 hours - 8/23
I've been waiting since this came out on PS3 to play it so when I finally picked it up in a digital sale a few months ago I was really excited. I've got to say, this might be the craziest game I've ever played in terms of the staggering array of experiences Jody goes through. Over the course of 12 hours,
Jody is homeless, helps a woman give birth, pees in a -40° blizzard, accidentally kills her own mom, pilots a sub into an underwater military base which she destroys, goes on covert CIA missions in the middle east, almost gets raped / beaten up numerous times, and of course interacts with her spirit companion.
I've got to say I mostly enjoyed the ride since I like these kinds of games and I'm eagerly awaiting Detroit now.

42) Pokemon GO - 80 hours - 8/23
I guess I'll go ahead and include Pokemon GO in my list of beaten games. I played this virtually nonstop for the first 3 weeks after its release to the point that I wasn't playing any other games because that was time I could've been using to catch Pokemon. It was a ton of fun, but the removal of any tracking feature and the takedown of PokéVision really killed my drive to play this. I was always more interested in filling out my Pokedex rather than battling and as a result, I have a Pokedex around 105 but little way of expanding it further without stumbling into something I need through blind luck. When tracking comes back, I'll probably play this again, but in the meantime I'll put my Poke-aspirations on hold.

watdaeff4

Updated Main Post

41. Borderlands - XB1
Completed Main Story: 8/10/16
Time: ~20 hours
Rating: 4/5

Never played this before, so was great it was part of GwG this year and BC. Really fun game and despite it's structure, didn't get too repetitive for me. Got the Handsome Collection for the PS4, so will likely start playing that later this year.

42. Bound - PS4
Completed Main Story: 8/17/16
Time: ~ 2 hours
Rating: 3/5

Game has great artwork and actually enjoyed the story elements to it. Was neat to see how the obstacles you face tie into the overall narrative. Got this during the PLAY promotion, but otherwise, not quite enough to it IMO to justify a $20 pricetag.

43. Far Cry Primal - XB1
Completed Main Story: 8/19/16
Time: ~17 hours
Rating: 3.5/5

Loved Far Cry 4 and took a chance on this game realizing it would have distinct differences in gameplay. The melee combat didn't feel quite right, though taming and using the animals was quite fun.......but the rest of the game was pretty much more Far Cry.

44. Injustice - PS4 (Replay)
Completed Story: 8/19/16
Time: 4 hours

Played this on the PS3, but picked it up again when on sale on PSN last month. Really enjoy this game. I don't care for the gameplay/fighting mechanics as much as SFV, but it puts SFV to shame in the story presentation and depth of SP content.

45. Super Mario Maker - WiiU
Time Spent: 10 hours

I'm not the best at content creation, but a lot of fun with my kids to play with this. Also really enjoy playing others uploaded levels and seeing how crazy they are.

46. Gears of War Judgment - XB1
Completed Main Story: 8/23/16
Time Spent: 7 hours
Rating: 4.5/5

Finished playing though all the previous Gears games in anticipation for October. I actually had a lot of fun with this game and enjoyed it more than 3. Probably since it did a different take on the formula and after playing the original trilogy all within the last year, I got a smidge burnt out on it. The dialogue between the characters also was more enjoyable to me than the typical Gears games and I like Baird much more than Fenix.

Punched out a few shorter games and ones I had been playing off and on for awhile.

Down to the last half-dozen

Falchion

Original Post

43) Gone Home - 2 hours - 8/23
I didn't really know what to expect going into this short game, all I knew is that a lot of people liked it, some people didn't, and that it involved exploring a creepy house to find your family.
I kept waiting for some scary stuff to happen but it never did, and what I got instead was a surprisingly touching story about a younger sister trying to come to terms with her sexuality and some parents in denial. When I found one of the last audiologs where my sister was upset about her girlfriend leaving and said she was going to spend the night in the attic, I was scared that I was going to go up there and find her dead. I was relieved when I learned that she decided to run off and try to start a new life with Lonnie. I thought all the audiologs were brilliantly acted and I only wish there was more narrative, maybe fleshing out the parents better.
All in all I enjoyed my experience.

jiggles

Banned
Archive Post

header6kuyi.jpg

Game 28 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone[PC] ★★★★★
One of the most impressive pieces of DLC I've ever played. Enough content and story here that it could have almost been a standalone release. It's only dwarfed by the scale of the base game it's attached to. The new areas fit seamlessly into the world, and the greater Oxenfurt area getting more of the stage breathes new life to some underused locations from Wild Hunt. The missions are varied and show signs of the developers having fun with the space and characters, with a farcical wedding party and auction house heist being two obvious highlights. But the real stars of the show are the two central players, Olgierd von Everec and Gaunter O'Dimm. Both quietly terrifying, but Olgierd in particular is simply one of the best characters the series has seen, and steals the spotlight even from Geralt. I'd play a spinoff game featuring him for sure. All in all, it's more Witcher 3. And it's brilliant.

Hikami

Main post

Game 29: Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix | 35 hours | August

vEbKHPh.jpg

Finally got to finish this game. Had the original PS2 game for years now but never managed to finish it. Got through PS3 HD remix version now though.
Story made no sense of course but the gameplay was fun.
--
Game 30: Stella Glow | 53 hours | August

VAJeMi6.jpg

Surprisingly good game, really enjoyed it. Shame it was the company's last game. Definitely want to check out their other stuff like Luminous Arc now.

Only managed to get 3 character endings and didn't get the true ending so I'll replay it on NG+ again someday.

GametimeUK

I have been blasting through short games to boost my count. I have documented how many games I have finished for a fair few years now and also failed this challenge a few times. I will never participate in this challenge ever again, but I'm close to finishing it. Despite being really cheesy and playing games like Limbo and Resogun, I am really proud with my achievement.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #16: Monument Valley (iOS).
Time Played: 01:30 hours.
Completion Reached: Beat the original campaign and the "Ida's Dream" level.

I recently changed my smartphone and wanted to try a mobile game, so I downloaded this one since it got a couple awards and stuff a couple years ago...

Monument Valley is a puzzle game focused on perspective puzzles. I can't really explain it with words but the puzzles remind me of this famous painting:

Essentially, you try to move through weird architectures while changing perspectives to make floors overlap and other crazy stuff. As the player you control Ida (the main character) by telling her where to move and also by interacting with the environment to rotate stuff, move platforms and a couple other interactions. Overall, the puzzles are varied and fun to solve while not being really hard.

Where the game truly shines, however, is in presentation. The graphics are really pretty with a lot of variation between levels and the music helps the mood a lot.

I had fun with the game although I was disappointed by how short it is, with only 10 levels besides from the bonus "Ida's Dream" chapter. There's a DLC too but I haven't bought it yet. Also, playing it on a small screen (such as the one in my phone) can be a bit anoying at times since some things can be hard to notice (stairs mainly). Still, I'd recommend the game if you like puzzle stuff or if you just want a pretty game to play for a short while.

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-26
Detailed Impressions 27-xx

30. Kholat - 5.5 Hours
8ieHqmL.jpg

Kholat is a fictionalization of the Dyatlov Pass Incident, set in the mountains of Russia. It plays like Amnesia with its combat-less, run-from-the-bad-guy-or-die gameplay with a healthy dose of walking simulator thrown in. The game is carried on the strength of its atmosphere, in no small part due to the sublime sound design. If you let yourself it's very easy to fall into a bit of a trance, focusing on the superb orienteering: you have a compass and a map, period. No minimap, no GPS, and certainly no overtly-gamey dot on the map that tracks your every movement. The game literally gives you coordinate locations (eg, 13 N, 42 E) as destinations and leaves it to you to figure out how to get there, and I can't applaud the game enough for it. So rare is it for a game to allow the player to get lost, but here Kholat seems to actually encourage it; paths tucked away between two boulders at what at first glance appears a dead end, limited visibility due to the constant snowfall and lack of daylight, trees everywhere obscuring sight lines. That's only half the equation though. The soundtrack to this game is howling wind and the crunch of snow underfoot. As simple as that sounds, it never once becomes repetitive or sterile but instead serves to let other sound effects stand out and catch you off guard. The sound of a howling wolf in the distance, or worse, the sound of someone else walking through the snow in your immediate vicinity. It's an incredibly psychological horror, being able to hear the threats around you well before you see them. Knowing your only defense is running away (and occasionally not even that) amps the tension as much here as it did in Amnesia. That's pretty much the bulk of the game, half-wandering around trying to get somewhere specific and getting spooked on the way there. Solid presentation with narration from Sean Bean and some decent set pieces round out the experience and elevate the game beyond feeling like a proof of concept like other walkabouts. The ending felt a little unceremonious which was deflating, but otherwise I liked this game quite a bit.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3
Original Post - Part 4

#30: Zoombinis: 18.8 hours
I never played Zoombinis as a kid, but if I had I would’ve loved it. I picked it up because a bunch of my friends did play it as kids and they encouraged me to pick it up so they could discuss it with me.

So Zoombinis is an educational game for children from the 90s, and that mental image of all those Humongous games flying past your head may sell it a little short. It’s focused on guiding groups of 16 Zoombinis from their old homeland to a new one via logic and sorting puzzles. There are 12 puzzles separated into 4 legs of 3 puzzles each, and the Zoombinis will have to pass through 9 of them to reach the end. In some puzzles Zoombinis will be slowly lost, and in some you can screw yourself so you have to cut your losses and leave the stragglers behind. Those Zoombinis will then go back to the start of the leg to try again later.

So the obvious thing about that is that if you play the game perfectly (which you won’t) you’ll see the first 3 and last 3 puzzles 25 times and the game will get super repetitive. Well sort of. When you complete each leg without losing a Zoombini 3 times it gets harder, and there are 4 difficulty levels for each leg. For instance, in one puzzles you have to organise your Zoombinis in a line so that they each share one feature (hair, eyes, nose colour, “feet”) in common. On the second difficulty the line becomes a 2x8 rectangle so each Zoombini is adjacent to 2 or 3 others. On the third difficulty it becomes a 4x4 square and some Zoombinis have many neighbours. This isn’t always a good thing though. There’s one puzzle in the last leg that takes forever and the time required just keeps increasing with difficulty.

Zoombinis don’t talk, but they do make cute vocalisations. The game is narrated though and the narrator is very eccentric and enthusiastic, I had a lot of fun listening to him yell ZOOMBINIS all the time. Some of the other characters you encounter (especially the pizza trolls) are also very charming.

So yeah. Zoombinis is fun, check it out if you haven’t. I didn’t quite manage to finish it 100%, about 60 Zoombinis will likely have to live at the second campsite forever.

#31: Paint it Back: 13.5 hours (free) + 23.7 hours (paid)
Oh yes get more Picross in me. Paint It Back is the first Picross game I’ve played not on a DS/3DS, and I can’t say I’m overly thrilled with moving platform. I can do puzzles a lot faster and more smoothly with a stylus than I can with my doofy fingers. Also the game doesn’t grey out numbers unless they’re connected to an edge which is an annoying change in behaviour. But Paint It Back has other advantages that help outweigh those niggles (like being a Picross game I haven’t finished yet).

The game is themed pretty strongly, a ghost has erased all of the art in a museum and it’s your job to (shock) paint them back. This means that a lot of the pictures that form the puzzles are more weird and out there than in Nintendo’s Picross offerings. Also this game isn’t afraid to go big, getting all the way up to 40x40 puzzles eventually, with a ton of 30x30 and many more esoteric sizes like 24x32. The music (mostly the puzzle completion music) is also pretty good for a Picross game for some reason.

The game is half free to play on iOS with a small fee ($4.50 in Australia) unlocking the latter half, and the first half was better than every Picross e game so it’s well worth looking into. In light of that I’m breaking formula a little for this one. I’m writing this after finishing the free levels but before getting too far into the paid ones. I’ll edit in the total playtime later, but I don’t expect my opinion on the game to change.

#32: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 35.1 hours
I loved Human Revolution, my last computer upgrade was so I can play it. Funnily enough I just got a new graphics card in part so I can play this so history repeats.

Mankind Divided is more Human Revolution with a number of design and quality of life improvements for better or worse. Some, like being able to move from cover to cover more easily are immediately apparent while others are more subtle. For instance if you do a takedown from behind cover/through a doorway the game realises that you probably don't want to leave the body exposed and plays an animation that drops it in a favourable position.

The level design is also more intricate a lot of the time, with even more approach options for objectives. There was a number of times where I found two or three ways through a level via the ventilation or maintenance spaces alone. There's also more augmentation options available but I didn't use most of them, only unlocking remote hacking and the PEPS. Remote hacking is amazing but the PEPS gun generated too much noise to be useful.

There's quite a few really interesting and meaty sidequests too. And the game has conversation battles out the wazoo. Just talking to people is often my favourite part of Deus Ex so I'm happy this game has a lot of it.

It's not all sunshine and roses of course. The animation is still as janky as ever despite the otherwise vast graphical improvements and the AI is still dumb as bricks. Takedowns are still overpowered as shit too, as is the non-lethal weaponry in general because it quickly and silently knocks people out and its almost impossible for guards to be woken up. I think Dishonored handles the non-lethal vs lethal stuff a bit better with how long it takes to knock someone unconscious as well as how much easier it is to dispose of a dead body. The hub also becomes a giant pain in the arse in the last part of the game. Also as a kick in the teeth the preorder/digital version DLC mission is very obviously ripped from the main questline and the story is worse for it. It sucks.

#33: Expand: 2.0 hours
My foray into the wonderful world of the Australian indie game scene continues with Expand, a game you should definitely play (and already own if you bought the most recent Humble Bundle). It's a game that takes place in a shifting circular maze. You have to navigate a square around the outside of the circle (think Super Hexagon) in order to get from one end of a room to the other. But as you progress the maze often shifts such that there's more maze ahead. In a lot of parts moving out radially will distort and stretch the space bringing more into view, it's very interesting to look at.

It's mostly an obstacle course with some bullet hell style bits, and the end of every section has an advancing wall of doom. But while all of those things should be incredibly stressful it has this great monochrome (with red hazards) art style and mellow piano soundtrack so rather than being stressful it encourages you to just sit back, relax, and take it in.

Oh also when you die the entire level rotates, which changes up the required motions on the next attempt. It's an interesting idea to keep a game feeling fresh and a great use of the fact that the game takes place in a polar coordinate space.

I think that comparing it to other games does it a little bit of a disservice but to get a feel for what I'm talking about, think the gameplay of Super Hexagon with Thomas Was Alone's style and sensibilities. Seriously it's only $6 and two hours long go check it out.

#34: Transmission: 5.3 hours
I was turned onto Transmission by my best friend’s partner and by now there are about five people hooked on it because of him. So you can already tell that it's engaging.

Transmission is a completely free puzzle game developed as a companion app for an Information Age exhibit for the Science Museum. The primary mechanic is connecting nodes in order to transmit information. Each node must receive information (represented by coloured cubes) a certain number of times. Some destroy the information they receive and others can pass it on.

There are 70 levels across 7 worlds, and each world introducing new mechanics based on a different kind of network. From broadcasters that send duplicates of information they receive to all nodes in range, to converters that change information type (colour) and base stations that enable other base stations to access a pool of information.

Some of the puzzles near the end get very hard, and they get even harder when you try to complete the bonus objectives. Most levels will have one or two bonus objectives which include finishing the level without crossing connections, finishing the level with cubes in particular positions and using a certain number of connections.

I didn't get all 146 objective stars in five hours, but I got close. I could have spent the time getting the last few stars but I'm about ready to move onto something else. Still, if you have a few hours to spare play this game.

#35: Merged: 1.1 hours
I feel like I'm cheating a little only playing a game for an hour but I really can't be bothered sinking more time into it. It's an alright matching puzzle game but it feels really random and I could be playing anything else.

It's match-3 mobile game more or less. The twist is that you are placing what are essentially dominoes onto a grid. When 3 or more faces with the same number of pips are connected they all suck up into the one you just placed and turn into the next number up. Merging 3 or more 6s makes an M block and merging 3 M blocks destroys all the blocks in a 3x3 grid.

I think the game's main flaw is a culmination of things. There are 7 different types of block, they're given to you (mostly) in pairs randomly, and the last block placed is so important to clearing blocks. It means that you can end up at the mercy of the RNG very quickly and in that sort of situation I'd rather be playing something more simple like Threes.

#36: Aquaria: 20.8 hours
I'm not sure what I was expecting from this game but a 21 hour Metroidvania with a ridiculously long final boss was not it. I'm really not going to complain about that though it was very enjoyable (especially the soundtrack).

It's also pretty unique for a Metroidvania in that almost the entire game takes place underwater and your main method of interaction with the world is through playing songs Zelda-style. There are 8 different transformations that give you a nice variety of abilities from shooting energy blasts to becoming a defenseless fish that can swim really, really fast. Realistically you'll spend most of the game in either shoot mode or swim against currents mode though. There's a surprisingly detailed crafting system as well, making consumable items that heal you and provide all manner of buffs.

Now some things I didn't like. Any section that takes place above water (especially with bubbles) is pretty awful. When you transition from water to air you fly into the air and if there's a bubble room you can often fly across it with little control. The final boss is also very, very long and does a ton of damage.. and there's no checkpoints.

Regardless of that though it's definitely worth playing.

#37: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows: 8.6 hours
Loved it loved it loved it. This is a great example of how to do post-launch content. Giving people a new way to play through the game with an interesting twist and a new story.

Plague Knight plays soooo differently to Shovel Knight. His main weapon is a highly customisable projectile instead of a melee attack and throwing out one of the projectiles kills his momentum enabling him to hover briefly. He can also rocket jump by holding down the attack button.

This gives Plague Knight a lot of mobility and power, but his inability to pogo like Shovel Knight means that a lot of jumps that were trivial before become fiendishly difficult now. Conversely combat is a breeze for Plague Knight due to his immense versatility. The arc, explosion and fuse of the bombs can be modified individually on the fly to great effect as can the effect of the bomb jump. A lot of these are inspired by Mega Man weapons, like the Danger Wrap, Shadow Blade and the spinning shields. One of the bomb jumps is even a Screw Attack! Experimenting with your powers to handle different situations is a ton of fun.

I'm definitely not going to make the same mistake I did here with Spectre Knight and wait a year to play it.
#38: Warbits 9.2 hours
Warbits is an unashamed clone of Advance Wars for iOS so it's a bit hard to talk about it by itself. Taken as a standalone game it's a good strategy game with a nice feature set, catchy soundtrack and cute/cringey dialogue. It has a ton of multiplayer maps and 20 campaign levels that start out very easy but ramp up nicely by about the halfway mark. But taken as an Advance Wars clone it is at times disappointing, so lets break it down.

The units are almost identical to Advance Wars in price and function, but there are a lot of small tweaks that keep you on your toes. Recon units can fly, there are clouds which can hide air units in fog of war like forests, there's no docks so the Lander equivalent is an aircraft and units can move when unloaded from transports if they haven't moved that turn. In addition to that APC supply and unloading is available multiple times a turn if relevant.

A lot of core unit balance is also very different. There is no deliniation between copters and planes, and most units have lower armour than in Advance Wars. This means that while a Bomber can almost 1-shot a unit (seriously they do over 100% to Anti-Air its nuts) they can be whittled down by ground units, and are unable to return fire. The damage tables also feel kind of off, with weak units being able to hold their own in a fight as long as they get the first shot off.

There is one new unit, a sniper infantry that uses indirect fire and gets +1 range on mountains, but it didn't see a whole of use in my playthrough because an Artillery with usually suffice.

The power system is probably where Warbits deviates from Advance Wars the most, and where I think it missteps the hardest. In Advance Wars your power meter is filled when dealing or taking damage in proportion to the unit's cost, which is a system that works great. But in Warbits only kills net power points, and they're only doled out to the killer. Each unit gives up 2-5 points when it dies, and some units are easier to farm for points than others. Then once per turn at your HQ you can spend these points to access a list of like 20 powers. The fact that on any given turn you could boost indirect range, air movement and damge, ground movement or damage, infantry capture speed, etc with no way to predict what you're going to do is ridiculous. One of the powers gives your ground units +75% damage when attacking from roads, and another gives a +150% boost when attacking units on structures. If you can't predict an assault like that its hard to defend against it, and I think that's a major flaw.

Despite spending 4 paragraphs bitching about why Warbits isn't Advance Wars I did enjoy it. It was a nice distraction, but I'd love to see a refined version that could actually go properly toe-to-toe with Intelligent System's greats. It's $5 and was developed by two guys though so what are you going to do?

#39: Monument Valley 1.6 hours
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would but that's mostly down to incorrect expectations. I was expecting a puzzle game, I got something that's more of a point-and-click walking simulator with light puzzle elements. It's really, really good at doing that but it's not really what I wanted. If you want some gorgeous and trippy visuals with some nice sound design then play it but if you're looking for puzzles play something else.

#40: Puzzle Quest: Galactrix: 21.8 hours
Puzzle Quest 1 is still my favourite by far. Galactrix falls into the same category as Puzzle Quest 2 for me where it's too samey and grindy for me to enjoy it to the end. I didn't enjoy the game for different reasons at the start because the ships I was fighting had attack gem duplicators and I didn't. But once I got a ridiculous combo of upgrades it was more tolerable.

So it's Puzzle Quest in space, with a lot of frustrating mini-games. Moving from place to replace requires hacking open warp gates, which you will have to do hundreds of times. You have to match gems in a set order in a set time limit and you get barely any experience for doing it so have fun with that. Putting the gems on a hex grid and making it so that you can manipulate which direction the gems fall in is an interesting idea but I'm not totally sold on it. It can make cascades seem even more random at times.

If you haven't played Puzzle Quest 1 yet I'd still suggest starting there.

#42: Ironclad Tactics: 18 hours

Did I finish Ironclad Tactics? In some respects yes, in others no. But at this point I am finished with it. It's a game by Zachtronics (SpaceChem, Infinifactory, Shenzen I/O) but it's a completely different beast to his other games. Where most Zachtronics games are puzzle games based heavily on some real engineering concept Ironclad Tactics is a lane based strategy/card game.

You have a customisable deck of (exactly) 20 cards spread across 8 factions (though only two per deck) split into infantry (which can capture control points but are stepped on by Ironclads), Ironclads (which can score victory points by crossing the board), parts (buffs and weapons for ironclads) and tactics (healing, movement, etc). When you play a card into one of your sides of the field the unit walks forward each turn, attacking if things are in range unless it reaches the other side and disappears (potentially scoring points). Get a certain number of points and you win. It's a cool system, and I had a lot of fun exploring it but it has a number of flaws that really come to bear in the DLC missions.

So you have a hand of 5 cards, and you draw one per turn. These cards cost action points to play, which are generated at a given rate each turn (plus bonuses for control points). If you try to draw a card and you have 5 in your hand the oldest card in your hand is discarded to be redrawn later. You can move a card back to the front of your hand but it costs 1AP to do so which can seem like delaying the inevitable. Often a crucial card will fall out of my hand just as I'm able to play it, which is incredibly frustrating.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the cards must synergise with each other for victory. Infantry can attack immediately, but will get squished if not protected by Ironclads. Ironclads can protect infantry but will get destroyed if they don't have weapons, which are separate cards. If you don't have an Ironclad in your opening hand then the AI can quickly take control of the match which can often be a death sentence. This was perfectly fine for most of the game, the matches are quick and you can always try again. But then the DLC comes along and ruins that a bit.

The last mission of the first DLC campaign takes the form of eight missions in a row. You can take two decks into this mission and switch between them between segments but it's still a pain. I got up to the last one once after hours of trying to find a combination that could take on all the parts only to get thrown for a loop by the last section and rolled. One mistake, or a bad opening hand can tank a run and it's just a pain. I never finished that level.

Halfway through the second DLC campaign there's a two-part mission, the only other multi-part mission in the game. I could finish this eventually if I wanted to but after a few tries I'm done. The opponent starts the second half with long-range area of effect coverage on most of the map. Behind their lines is a mortar, which infantry can use to grind out victory points. So you HAVE to start with a hand that lets you rush across the map under heavy fire, with a deck that can also handle the first half. Once your rush takes care of the infantry they'll spawn another fairly quickly and I just can't figure out a build that can keep the pressure up and survive crossing the field.

So yeah the base game is a ton of fun, if frustrating at times due to bum draws. But the DLC levels that require you to keep the good luck up for longer periods tend to make the game falter a bit.

#43: Power Line: 6.5 hours
You rotate the blocks to connect all the doodads together. That's about it. There are 5 worlds of increasing grid size and 75 levels each, but you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer by the end of the first level so... yeah probably give it a pass.

#44: Blek: ~5 hours
Blek is a puzzle game unlike anything I've played before but it's amazing in its simplicity. There's 80 levels with patterns of black and coloured dots, draw a line of any length and when you let it go it repeats. If your pattern touches all the coloured dots before it hits a black dot you win the level. Later levels introduce some complications but it remains pretty simple. It also gets brutally hard and I couldn't have finished a handful of levels without a walkthrough. But definitely give it a shot.

Preview: Up to the shark tank in Resident Evil HD, playing Kingdom Rush on iOS

Ladekabel

My old post reached its character limit. So I'm making this my second main post.

Game 1-35

August

Game 36: DooM (2016) (PC): It's so good. It's so fucking good! I didn't expect anything going in. I never played on of the older Doom games and I haven't seen any trailer for this. But there was so much positivity about this game that I bought it. What I got was the best shooter campaign in the last years, even besting Wolfenstein: The New Order for me. What makes Doom so great is, that everything is great. I don't think I ever enjoyed walking in an FPS so much. The shooting feels satisfying. The weapons have a nice variety and I used every one bar the Pistol all the time which comes natuarlly since ammunition is scarce often. For that problem there is the chainsaw. Killing a demon with it drops a bunch of ammunition but fuel for the chainsaw is even rarer. Graphically it looks nice and the soundtrack is fantastic. In some parts of Hell the soundtrack sounded close to Nier's OST though. The story is straightforward. It has a good humor and knows what it is. With all the praise I can give Doom, I have two minor gripes with it. The first one are the glory kill. Most of the time they are boring and maybe a tad to slow though they do not interrupt the flow. And for the latter problem one can unlock a rune to make them faster. The second are the enemy encounters. In every arena the demons appear always in the same sequence. Here I would have wished for a little bit more variety instead of small-midrange and in the end a few big ones. But these are only a small hinderance in my enjoyment with Doom. It will likely be my GotY this year.

Game 37: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U): Two of my favorite developers collaborated and brought us this game. In Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE you control a group of artists who have to save the world. They do this with help of their mirages which are characters from the Fire Emblem series. But there are evil mirages, too, which are also from the Fire Emblem universe. The story is nothing special. There are a few twists but one can see them happening beforehand easily. But the cast is pretty likeable. While their S-Links are not as strong as in Persona 4, they show a human side in them although the dialogue isn't always great. Graphically it looks pleasent I found the environments detailed. The combat is a lot of fun. The basis is the Press/Turn system which gets enhanced with the Fire Emblem weapon triangle and armored/cavalary/wyrm enemies. This brings a new dynamic to the system which I enjoyed. And instead of additional turns the party members will launch additional attacks on the enemy when a weakspot is hit. This makes for a fun system but got kind of tedious since I found no way to skip the animations and since it's in your interest to launch the so-called "Sessions" you have to look at them pretty often. At least they're pretty good animated. But there are also a few things I didn't really like about Tokyo Mirage Sessions. One thing are the load times. Sometimes they take a little bit to long and even occur in battle. The second thing are the anime tropes. I don't watch a lot of Anime but things like onee-chan, a big dude who is in moe-stuff and big boobs which give me back pain just from looking annoy me. But I guess I have to live with that since I like JRPGs. The last thing on my nag list is a little bit of missing localization. Almost everything has english subs which is good. But in battles anything that would translate the chanting is missing. Even though I enjoyed the japanese voices and didn't understand a word from it, it would have been nice knowing what they are talking and yelling during combat. All things considered, Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE is one of my favorite JRPGs I played since I played Persona 4: Golden last year.

September:

Game 38: Axiom Verge (PS4): Since I prefer playing on handhelds, my initial plan was to play Axiom Verge on the Vita. But my plans shifted and I was happy. On the first look Axiom Verge is a metroidlike. On the second look it still is. And when you're playing it that impression doesn't change since it is a metroidlike. But the further you progress and the more abilities you acquire you need more buttons on the controller. The Vita is short of the two shoulder buttons that would make Axiom Verge comfortable to play on it. It came to a point where I wished the DS4 had an additional button for the teleport mechanic since the double tap on the d-pad didn't always work good for me. Otherwise the controls are good. The pixelart is nice and especially after you beat a boss has some nice effects. The world design is solid. You have a few different worlds which are all connected through a hub world. Additional every world is connected to two others. But I didn't thought that there was anything surprising about the world design like in Super Metroid or Dark Souls which is forgiveable since the whole game is a one-man-job. All in all, if you have an Metroid-itch, Axiom Verge will likely scratch it.

Game 39: Ico HD (PS3): Millions Dozens of people are excited for The Last Guardian finally getting released. I don't plan to pick it up Day-1 but later down the line. In preperation for The Last Guardian I decided it is time to finally play the beloved classics since I missed them on the PS2. I feared that the game wasn't for me which is sad since I liked a lot of things in Ico. The level design is great. The puzzle are well thought out. Yorda, the girl Ico escorts, isn't much of a hinderance. Except in combat where shadowy creatures try to capture her and take her away. The combat is sadly not so great. It doesn't feel good and lacks precision. It basically is hitting square and hope you hit. Honestly, the game would be better of without the combat. And Ico himself doesn't control very well either. For the first few hours I jammed in to every corner and edge. As someone who likes well playing games the most, it is sad that this really drags down Ico for me. I like its charme. For example, saving is done when Ico and Yorda sit on a bench. But thanks to the controls I got frustrated in a few occasions and won't remeber Ico fondly.

Game 40: Hitman Go! (iPad): There isn't much to say about Hitman Go!. Solid turn-based puzzle game with a nice boardgame look. Even if this game started the Go! series I gotta say that I prefer Lara Croft Go!.

Game 41: Shadow of the Colossus (HD): Just like with Ico, I wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus in order to prepare myself for playing The Last Guardian. But just like with Ico, Shadow of the Colossus is a game which I wanted to love but couldn't. Which is sad since there is a good game hidden somewhere. I know there are narrative reasons for the empty world but even knowing that didn't make it enjoyable riding through it. In my opinion it could've been smaller. And I would've liked to climb more stuff since that was something I was enjoying in this game. At least for constructions. Climbing on Colossi was hit or miss for me. It worked most of the time but too often the camera went crazy for me and Wander crawled into another direction than I wanted to. Otherwise there wasn't much for me in Shadow of the Colossus. Maybe I don#t understand art or maybe I'm dead inside. Even if both Team Ico games weren't for me I'm interested in The Last Guardian but after Ico and Shadow of the Colossus I'm not really eager to play it.

Game 42: Ace Attorney: Spirits of Justice (3DS): The Ace Attorney series is one of my favorite series so I was eager to play the new installment. And the Ace Attorney games have yet to let me down. After Dual Destinies introduced the 3D models in Spirit of Justice Capcom went a little further and played with the camera angle showing. Except for Apollo which was a little bit off-looking, every character looked good. Old beloved characters are back and I really like the new one with the revolution leader Dhurke being my favorite (even one of my favorite characters in the series). The only part that felt a little bit short was the new proscecutor Shadmadhi who felt kinda narrowminded most of the time. The cases where all pretty solid. Though the placement of case 4 is kinda questionable on its own it is still pretty good. And case 5 is some good stuff.

October:

Game 43: Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim (PC): Another adventure with Adol. My second Ys game was as enjoyable as my first. Although a little bit easier and a tad more linear. My enjoyment with the game wasn't affected by that at all though. The combat system is fun. Graphics are what one should expect from a portable game which got its resolution upped. The exception are some of the character illustrations and the animated cutscenes which seem like they are at their original resolution and look pixelated. Music kicks ass. Bosses are fun with the exception of one. What disappointed me though was that Adol didn't change appearence upon equipping new armor or shields even though that was in Oath in Felghana.

Game 44: Mafia 3 (PC): Mafia 3 is a tough one for me. I should hate it. It is "Open World - The Game". Most of the main missions feel like side missions where you have to go someplace, kill/destroy someone/-thing until enough damage is done and a guy comes which you have to kill or hire. In order to unlock collectibles on the map you have to find collectibles. And on the top the AI is braindead. I should really hate. But I really like Mafia 3. It is the first game I played where racism is handled without the inclusion of elves or dwarfs. The soundtrack is fantastic. The shooting and stealth mechanics are fun. The orchestration of cutscenes is great. It has one of the best characters of the year. And although most of the main missions are samey, the ones where you have to go against a big fish of the mob, are pretty great. Graphically it looks okay to nice in a few spots. I should hate Mafia 3, but I love it.

Game 45: Rez Infnite (PS4): I always wanted to play Rez. Didn't have a Dreamcast, didn't knew it existed on PS2 and on the 360 I never came around buying it. After having finally played it, I must say... I fucking love Rez. Most of my love comes for the style. I don't know what to say more. My favorite part is Area X. It looks fantastic and single-handily makes me want to buy a PSVR.

November:

Game 46: Clustertruck (PC): Clustertruck is a level based first-person platformer. In order to reach a levels end you jump from truck to truck because the floor, the walls and every other object in the world that hasn't four wheels is deadly for you. The sense of height and speed while jumping is great. The air control in the game is just floaty enough to feel great. I like the minimalistic presentation and the soundtrack. And there are moments which feel like an failed attempt at stage diving when you try to jump on two trucks and they split up for whatever reason and you fall to the floor. But there are also a few things I didn't like about Clustertruck. I never had a sense about the height of the figure I control. It doesn't matter most of the time but there are a few instances where you have to jump through a gap and what looked like a jump that should've been succesful results in a restart of the level. And sometimes a shadow or some sort of orientation where you're going to land would have been helpful. The abilities are a little bit of a wasted potential. I only got to try a few but I don't think that would change my impression that only two (maybe one or two) abilites are useful and the others are just there to goof around. Overall though, I really love Clustertruck and can't recommend it enough.

Game 47: Until Dawn (PS4): See my LTTP for my thoughts.

Game 48: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS): Never played a Dragon Quest before. The DS ones are a tad too expensive for me here in Europe and I rarely come around to buying iTunes Card to get them for my phone. But then this game got finally localized I took my first step into the series. In DQ VII your playing a time travelling fisher-man's son who together with his friends saves different islands in the past in order to make them appear in the present. One notices that one of the main guys behind this worked on Chrono Trigger. While the story doesn't really continue until hour 50 or so, the short-stories on the islands are really nice. The art-style is your typical Toriyama-DBZ-look, hate or love it, I like it. Besides the main theme the soundtrack didn't do it for me sadly. Battlesystem is nice though switching between FFXIII and this, it is unusual to see the numbers not leaving triple digits but I can live with it. The numbers got bigger and that counts. Sometimes the game can be a little tedious when you have to walk from A to B and back to A to B to C to A to B but that never bothered me that much because it always felt like I was making progress.
Dragon Quest VII can be a hard one to get into but if you do it, it is worth it.

Game 49: Final Fantasy XIII (PC): Maybe it were low expectations or a fatigue for open-world games but I really liked Final Fantasy XIII despite its reputation. The battle system is a ton of fun, graphically it still looks really nice though the framerate is all over the place with no way to fix it. The story is about crystals as is Final Fantasy tradition. I couldn't really follow it since I played over the span of 9 months. The soundtrack is nice, too. It being linear didn#t bother me much. Though more narrow than older FF games it did open up at about the same time as its predecessors.

Game 50: The Beginner's Guide (PC): I don't really know what to make of it.

December:

Game 51: Pokemon Sun (3DS): The first time that a Pokemon game isn't just a Pokemon game and embraces its JRPG roots. Though it are little steps and the premise is still pretty much the same but it did much more with it than its predecessors. It would be great if they go even further in the next iterations. Otherwise there's not much to say about it. Despite everything it does different in the story it's still a Pokemon game at its core. Besides that it looks nice for a 3DS game though the framerate takes a deep dive in battles from time to time. Soundtrack is eh.

Game 52: Final Fantasy XV (PS4): Most games I play through the story, see the credits and then don't bother with it anymore. Not so with Final Fantasy XV. Even after beating the final boss I'm still playing it. Doing quests, killing monsters, playing a pinball game and going camping with my buddies. It's kinda a reverse Final Fantasy XIII. It starts open and then gets linear. The story is a mess in that structure. I was doing side-quests and hunts for a couple of hours and then I was like "What was I supposed to do?". But even if you get distracted it always feels like a cutscene with a little bit more dialogue is missing. And besides the main characters, who I grew to love, there isn't really a character I cared about. Nevertheless, the final two chapters are pretty good in the story department. The combat system looks great and makes for cool moments. I still remember how I teleported to a flying enemy in the beginning and then shot it like I was falling down. Your entourage could've used a gambit like system like in FFXII. Always looking out for them got a little bit annoying sometimes. Graphically FFXV looks nice and sometimes sunning thanks to the lightning. Soundtrack is nice and has some of my favorite tracks this year. All in all, Final Fantasy XV is a jack-of-all-trades and not really a master of anything. But it is a great game that was worth the wait in my opinion.

Currently playing: Victor Vran (PC)

So Zoombinis is an educational game for children from the 90s, and that mental image of all those Marvelous Games flying past your head may sell it a little short.

"More toppings!"

I did grow up with Zoombinis, and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. You should play the sequels (2 is just as good, 3 is a little weaker - sadly they're not on Steam).

Also I think you mean Humongous Games, not Marvelous. I have great fondness for Putt-Putt and Senran Kagura, but I don't remember playing the latter as a kid. :p

Edit: Also I've completed a lot of games this year and should get in on this - shall claim a separate post later.

Blindy

Been a few pages since an update, I beat these games again much earlier in the year but Neogaf account was not verified until Juneish. Have the game, the dates it took me to beat them and the summary.

11) Street Fighter V 2/16
In hindsight, the game was pretty lackluster for me and I sorta bought into the hype despite not being into fighting games all that much. Game content Day 1 was lackluster, I played enough of the game online and with the stories that were 3-5 minutes at most for each character enough to honestly just chalk this one up as apart of this, the dates were sporadic as this is a multiplayer but besides 1 match, I have not gone back to this game in months. The gameplay I have no problem with, typical fighter with some nice mechanics but the content outside of the game just wasn’t that great. Solely played with Birdie and actually held my own online much to my surprise but he’s honestly the only character I felt comfortable playing with. A game I don’t play anymore, might be my last fighting game purchase in a while….genre isn’t for me and the game doesn’t have much staying power for me.

12) Uncharted 3: 2/19-2/21
Finished Uncharted 3 yesterday in my replays of the Uncharted, thus taking me to finish each Uncharted game in 3 days. 3 weekends, 3 days each(Took day off for UC1), 3 Uncharted's complete. Very nice. Some good some bad with UC3, I don't care much for the QTE concept they went with and also felt some of the fighting with the guys was unnecessary. Also on hard mode some of these guys can take a ridiculous amount of damage, a shot a armored dude with 3 pump handle shotgun blasts upclose and this was after being on top of a grenade thrown by me and he almost lived through it. Also some weird spreading out of the importance of characters though it was great that Sully got to dominate UC3 after being only in the very early portion of UC2 until the end...

13) Dishonored(PS3) 2/26-3/6
There's some real good the game delivers on like encouraging multiple ways of getting through a scenario and the Bioshock inspired rune magical stuff.....but the 2 big gripes I have is the font size is brutal for this game, to the point where the long winded letters/text in this game I simply have to skip out on due to the font being so minuscule. The voice acting is wooden as hell but that isn't my 2nd big gripe, I just wish there was a way to identify who is an ally and who isn't. I hope the sequel accomplishes this more, I put to sleep a civilian who I thought would have screamed and alerted but it turned out they were simply harmless It's a matter of trial and error to see who is on your side and who isn't, in a game that encourages you to sneak around, that isn't good.

The 1st half of this game I felt the game was verging onto becoming lifeless but by about the midway point, it did indeed feel like the game got its feet onto the ground and deliver upon something worthwhile. It’s a game that with a few tinkering and fixing up could produce a very good sequel which is the hope come this November. The mistakes made are fixable and aren’t too demanding.

14) Life is Strange(PS4) 3/8-3/13
I gotta say, I was very nervous heading into this game since I often find the games that so many feminists and hipsters adored this game that this game might have been too cute for me to get into but I was pleasantly surprised. I see why this game got so much love in 2015. I really enjoyed so much of this game....I mean a few of the things got a little annoying like Max's dialogue for her narratives ("Go Bigfoots." "You're so cool dog.") Ugh. I enjoyed the twists and turns throughout the game, though I kinda foresaw the real antagonist of the game, something I honestly could not see funny enough with Heavy Rain and Persona 3.

Between this and Persona 4, I think I have a good knack of finding out the narcissistic psychopath killer of those games out. Though I thought this person in Life is Strange actually was going to do something else despicable, it wasn't quite the way I figured it would go down.

Worth the hype altogether, worth a playthrough for anybody. Not an amazing game but it’s very much enjoyable.

15) Tales from the Borderlands(PS4) 3/15-3/18
I actually really enjoyed it. I think I preferred it to Life is Strange funny enough (Life is Strange has a few hours on TFTB though), both were very good narrative games. Voice acting was outstanding(With that star studded cast, how could it not be?), the characters I really enjoyed, there seemed to be more involvement with gameplay compared to TWDS1 and TWDS2, and despite not being familiar with the Borderlands universe at all, I thought they did a really good job of easing someone new to the game without too much background story. Much better than TWDS2 and it is right behind TWDS1 if I had to rank Telltale episodic games.

The only gripe I can think of is the choices ended up not really mattering and were simply just cosmetic differences with the exception of the final chapter where different dialogue would transpire.

16) Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair 3/13-3/26
So they actually cranked up the worst part from Danganronpa 1 for Danganronpa 2 and made the gameplay even more gimmicky and confusing. ugh. Just got done with Chapter 1, same as the 1st....great presentation, so far a cool group of characters but gameplay that will drive your head bonkers with trying to do way too much. In a game/series where non-walking gameplay is so limited that I still feel the gameplay needs to be easy and catchy.

Why they made the gameplay even more complex is beyond me. The rhythm part was by far the worst event of Part 1 so they actually made it all the more confusing for part 2. Not even gonna lie, I legit button mashed during this part in Chapter 1....and they didn't even incorporate the bullet reloading part yet which was AWFUL if you didn't know what to do and I expect it to be AWFUL here. It SHOULD have been where you time it right and get rewarded but now they have an annoying flying obstacle around that you need to time right with the words.

I am still button mashing for the PTA despite now with reloading and ammo attached. One can only hope the 3rd installment fixes this. The comic conclusion is fantastic and I think is a step up from the 1st game.

I also wish this game would take a page out of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and give you more free time to socialize, you get 3 sometimes 4 chances per chapter, just not enough. Yeah I guess it encourages more replay-ability for a game as long as this and with how many characters and given 2 characters die so soon, you'd need 3 maybe 4 playthroughs to maximize all 15 branches. I only ended up finishing 3 full ones since you have no idea which character will die off each chapter, you may find yourself in a predicament like me where a character I was building up died unexpected, feeling like a waste of the free time that could have gone for a character who may have lasted longer in the story. Unlike the 1st game though, you seemingly are guaranteed with some sort of result, which I didn't think I felt I got with the 1st one which days get wasted with no branch getting built up.

I just wish you got more time with these characters but I also get why they can't be obvious and not tell you which character lives/dies when as a means to try and not screw you over when trying to build this. What sucks with Danganronpa 2 is the skill points that you can only get by fully maximizing someone's social link......Danaganronpa 1 you got one per end of chapter, this is a little bit more stingy.

17) Dark Souls III(XB1) 3/26-4/5

Great game, even if the end game bosses were ridiculously cheap. spent at least 2 hours on some of these end game bosses doing it solo. Spent about 33 hours or so with this game and went through a crap ton of exploration and optional areas, well satisfied. Didn't feel the game drag on at all. Got a side ending I believe. I really tried to defeat that optional boss solo and I got to the 2nd form and took 1/3 of its health but it can 2 shot you and even stun lock you to death at a given point, just really lousy. Ended up 1st try beating it with a co op partner so I will take it, I always try and solo everybody in these games but if they are too damn strong and the amount of time to get to the 2nd form was a bit annoying, I would just end up doing this with some assistance.

Don't know if it is better than Bloodborne though but regardless its a fantastic entry in this franchise. If this is the last of the Souls game, this is how you do it. I hope Miyazaki maybe does some Armored Core Souls in space or something with robots or some crazy shit.

I do not like the addition of 1 hit KO bosses which a few bosses in this game can and will do if they can lock you and get you as you are forced to come up, Bloodborne had quite a few of em especially in the chalice dungeons and I feel it is somewhat lazy of a challenge games provide with the ability to give someone a 1 hit KO option if you the player does not have the same as you can be working so hard to take down the opposition’s HP only to get caught with someone and have to start all over again.

The music in Dark Souls 3 is majestic. The classical scores, this deserves soundtrack of the year so far.

18) Quantum Break 4/5-4/11
The presentation is excellent, feels like such a man on the run type of game. Feels like such a TV show sort of presentation, it is well done. Not a fan of putting so much content in the descriptions, felt like more time was spent on putting that text rather than the dialogue, not a fan of reading long winded summaries. Had the same problem with Dishonored except the font size for this is far more readable and easier on the eyes.

The characters are very meh, main character sounds sort of wooden though it's gotten better. Tough to really determine this by only being a few hours into the game to be fair though. Gameplay is hit and miss, the powers have such potential to be so much fun but so far, there hasn't been much variety besides a bunch of guys just coming in waves and getting in run and gun covered. There has been different types of enemies sure but there hasn't been any course of obstacles or some sort of variety of challenges like trying to run through some collapsed building or a car chase or something of that nature. I like using the powers to rebuild or restart a new platform to get access to something new, very innovative and very neat.

The exploration of this game has been the worst feature for me, so many spots look so promising to maybe jump and uncover new secrets but alas. I don't mind linear games at all, I sometimes even prefer them over open world but you gotta have some sort of fun and in certain spots, there looks to be potential available surroundings that look to get you to different spots but in the end, are completely meaningless. I even got glitched and stuck in a spot for 3 minutes before somehow recovering my frame to get back on track because I thought there was a secret spot to maybe get a boost to better my powers. The fall damage is laughably bad in this game, you can fall 8 feet from the air and die at full health, you don't even suffer any kind of death animation, dude just stood there but the screen went white. I thought Conker's Bad Fur Day had a brutal fall damage meter but that pales into comparison with Quantum Break.

I watched all of the full episodes of the show that cut in between and besides the outrageous memory space it consumes, it's a decent enough feature. Nothing revolutionary though. Weird decision to have so little of the main cast in these episodes.

Post game, I ended up doing a little bit of a Highs/Lows for the game:

Highs:
- Phenomenal presentation and storytelling, felt like right out of a TV show. Just well done in that regard, felt really smooth.
- Cheesy TV show element that was nice and nicely lengthed(Though it was a weird showcase of side characters to the whole story but I think that was intentional. It barely focused any of the core four, it had about 4-5 of the behind the scene characters to the story)
- Fantastic graphics, gotta appreciate the moving mouth matching with the dialogue. Yeah I know that should be a given in the game but still, it was well done
- Voice acting was pretty good for the most part. I thought Jack Joyce/Shawn Ashmore sounded wooded in Act 1 but he got much more comfortable moving forward in the story.
- Enjoyable time mechanics, I just wish the incorporation of melee came sooner as it was an awesome feature, not sure about the decision on waiting so long to introduce that. I was kinda wondering when that was going to come.
- Infinite ammo for the pistol/handgun which is great so you aren't at any point screwed over when it comes to lack of ammo etc. which is hardly the case in this game. For me though, I either never figured out how to reload or if there was even a reload button in this which I tried pressing each one to figure out, often the case I went into a battle with 1 bullet and having to deposit that bullet, reload and then get ready to take on a wave of enemies. For me, it ended up being better to waste 1-2 bullets to be fully set and ready to go. If there wasn't a reload option, I just don't get that game design decision?

Lows:
- Not enough vareity with use of enemies, felt like a wave upon wave upon wave of enemies that try and overwhelm you by sheer numbers more than anything. Few times did this game throw debris as an obstacle, I wish there was maybe more challenges besides the run of the mill wave of enemies
- Mediocre platforming including awful fall damage
- Not enough differentiation of choice, 1 big choice that can affect the TV show per act basically. Main story is still solid enough though.
- Frustrating checkpoint system, I don't mind checkpoint systems not holding your hand but to throw you back 2-3 minutes to rewatch/1 minute skip a cutscene to get back into the action is silly
- Bullet sponge enemies and weapons like the sniper riffle 2 shotting you. Granted I played this on the toughest difficulty but still guys take 20+ bullets in this, its silly, especially when it comes to....
- Inconsistent shooting range, I put 12+ bullets into a guy from far range(Sniper) when in reality it would have taken me just 1 bullet had I moved up closer...but the fear of that without use of time would have been he would have killed me. Likewise you cannot snipe enemies from a certain amount of distance in a map though the game does reward you with headshots.....though it doesn't always initially killed off an enemy by perfectly nailing them in the head, it does stagger them in the least bit.
- Awful final boss sequence. Can 1 hit KO you, have to avoid obstacles on the field that can get you stuck, enemies like the juggernaut that is a bitch to kill when heavily run and gunning, I spent an hour on the boss alone.....just frustrating.
- Glitches immense, I got 3 times on a jumping glitch that had me hovering in the air. I was laughing hysterically granted but still...

An alright game, don't know if I enjoyed it. Some really frustrating parts put in this game that I wish had not been included.

Blindy

(Portion got cutoff here due to too many characters so 19 and 20 get their own post, thanks R&C!)

19) Ratchet and Clank 4/12-4/17

Highs
- Beautiful looking game, almost Pixar esque. The amount of work done to have this game look the way it is....is to be commended. Yeah its 30 FPS but besides maybe one time I can't say I had any slowdown time where the frames dropped off. In particular swimming underwater was simply astounishing, I am usually not a sucker for these crazy graphics but I can't help but not notice how beautiful the interaction with water is. I know you might be reading this and saying " Its fucking water" but playing this game back in the early 2000's and to see it blossom to what this game presented now is breath taking

- The weapons.....besides maybe not having enough long range weapons from the get go, I thought each weapon was well done. I eventually warmed up on weapons like the Pixelizer and Grooivator with the former becoming one of my final 5 maxed out weapons. The concept of encouraging players to use all weapons by giving level upgrades was something done for the better in this series and this game is no different. Raritanium was enough well done addition to this series and this game still provides it, encouraging players to go hunt for these emeralds as a means to buff up their weapon in a easy to follow chart with good description and easy to use menu. Unlike previous entries, I never felt like I didn't have enough money to go and buy these weapons, maybe one time I would say I didn't have enough to get a gun when it was introduced by the vendor but after finishing the level, I accumulated enough bolts to grab the gun.

- Puzzles via the trespasser were enough of a challenge on hard mode that I felt it wasn't overly baring at any point. The game offers up a feature of doing an auto hack which would solve the challenge but at the expense of not getting a silver trophy. Besides this its straight run and gunning with a touch of platforming on the side so these don't become hindrances and if anything become a nice change of pace.

- Voice acting very good as expected...........sound effects spot on.....music has never been a standout for this series but its more of a you know what you are getting type of ordeal.........game is just very lovable and has a very light toned presentation that really hits home what each character, new or old, has meant on this series. This game has some sort of humor that I think will at least get a chuckle out of you once. With Insomniac's other title, Sunset Overdrive(Which I loved), it has certain internet humor and bro humor that not everyone may have liked or gotten..........this this game, its much more clever but at no point did it get vulgar or over the top, so it keeps its lure as a family title that everyone can enjoy.

- Challenge mode or NG+ is always welcomed, gives you a means to get more bolts via bolt multiplier which encourages you to not get hit to not ruin your streak(Which in turn accumulates more bolts) and also opens up powering up your already powered up weapons by allowing it to go to Level 10 instead of topping at level 5 and opening up even more raritanium slots. You keep your weapons, your bolts, your cards(Will get to that in a second) but you don't keep the vital tools ala H20 mask, grindboots etc.

- Tons and tons of collectibles like cards that allow for "Omega Variation" of weapons which goes back to allowing your previous topped out weapon to expand further in its strength as well as becoming nice bios of past and new characters for new and oldcomers of this franchise.

The infamous R.Y.N.O.(RIP YOU A NEW ONE!) are hid behind this and it takes specific cards to obtain it and the R.Y.N.O. has essentially been coined by the franchise as the "Win Button" for its 1000 ammo, for its ridiculous range and power. I finished end game on this baby alone and jumped it from Level 1 to Level 4 by a mere 10 minutes You still have to journey through just about all of the planets to get the cards necessary for this so it isn't like you get this godly weapon so easily where it breaks the game wide open but once you get it, you just cannot lose. That's how good it is.

Golden Bolts are well placed for the most part and while they seem pointless besides for a silver trophy, they do provide opening a secret homage to Insomniac at the end of the game that I guess is okay. 28 Golden Bolts and each scattered in a planet so there's some challenge.

- Game is technically a reboot, not a remaster or continuation so they do introduce characters but also have tons of regulars of the series back and with some familiarization with one another so it isn't entirely scrapped from the bottom.

The story is simple and nothing too over complicated yet it establishes the good, the bad and ugly! That's good enough for me. Game is light hearteded but has its serious moments too, your protagonists as usual feel like absolute heroes that you can't help but love in their trials and tribulations into becoming galaxy's lone hope from the brink of destruction. On top of this more boss battles than ever with this series, always welcomed for this given the initial few were somewhat lacking in this department. The storytelling was well done too, even if a bit clique as its becoming a bit of a gaming trend lately how it is done.........

Lows

- The hoverboard races are lousy, I think I might have spent 3 hours on them alone....where do I start with this disaster?

1) Rubberbanding is terrible, its verging onto Mario Kart tier of bad. You legit have to save your boosts for the 2nd half of lap 3 and need to get past the final racer or else you will end up in 2nd place. There's no rhyme or reason behind this, this is just really bad game design. This isn't the only game that falls culprit to this but this doesn't necessarily make it challenging or fun, it just makes it frustrating. You can be pretty damn good all you want and not mess up or really be nearly spotless but the rubber banding is frustrating enough where a racer will zip right by you and cost you the race.

2) Mediocre controlling, you have to try and steer while accelerating and often the case you slow down enough to be impacted in the race. Its vital to try and control your driving to avoid explosive crates, falling off the track, getting boosts etc but it's just so wonky as far as control goes

3) No radar so you have not a clue how far your enemy is back which is a problem with the rubber banding being as extreme as this. You don't have a way to view behind your back to get a glimpse of what is behind you so you just have to control and not crash and burn.

4) Glitches that come out of here to effect you like trying to land a trick towards the finish line can have the game act as if you landed outside the area and shed off extra seconds and hurt your standing. There are also pretty brutal glitches like not having the boost rings reappear for the future laps in a race attempt which hurts your chances at trying to get the tough trophies that are attached to these by finishing a race before a specific time limit....though the game is fair in that it doesn't let the other races get unfair boosts and they are treated with the same predicaments too.

What is most frustrating with this is the fact that the PS2 Ratchet and Clanks had damn good hoverboard races where I was absolutely looking forward to playing these bad boys but I was shaking my head in sheer horror over constant retrial after retrial after retrial after retrial.

I genuinely hope Insomniac patches these races for people looking to jump into this game in the coming days from Europe, Japan, Australia etc. These were such a blight in what has been a great game that it felt like a gut punch to have to play through this.

- Backtracking could be done much better................there were actually a few places closed off because of a specific event chaining during a level that would close you off from getting a golden bolt for instance. I spent a half hour trying to figure out how to get a golden bolt before figuring out that it was impossible to get because you had to alter a stage entirely....turns out you have to leave the entire level, causing a respawning of enemies and more importantly, the stage to snatch the collectibles you might have missed out on.

- The ship missions were pretty mediocre, in particular one that makes it frustrating to try and control your shooting when being stuck by a laser that pulls you in and limits your movement. Again something I thought PS2 R&C did better...fortunately these are limited to like three in the entire playthrough so you aren't subjected to constantly be playing these to a ridiculous amount.

- No deathmatch tournaments was a shocker, these have been constant R&C staples and these were so much fun and were most importantly huge weapon boosts for experience. Now I don't want to be too over criticial since this game offers more than enough gameplay to have your sweet weapon destroying hearts desire but I was stunned when not a single tournament was present in this game that is a reboot but a homage to this decade old series.

- This is more for trophy suckers but it doesn't matter if you beat it hard or normal or easy, there isn't any difference of what mode you happen to beat this on. Not quite sure about the decision on that one but again this has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay but I was pretty stunned to not get the usual 3 trophies, one for easy, one for medium, one for hard. But this is honestly nitpicking, again nothing to do with the game but I am not sure about the reason on this. Maybe to not stress someone out who is trying for the platinum and that would usually make sense but considering some of the trophies attached to this like the race ones, I don't think so.

- Couple of funny glitches, maybe outside of one time, I can't say this directly impacted me in game but the falling down to death animations were pretty funny given he stays in one place rather than fall to the actual floor/water sometimes.

Should you buy it? Absolutely.

Does this game change up anything significantly? No. Does this game offer up fresh variation on previous installments of this title? Nope. But that isn't a bad thing, at least to me. Why fix something that isn't broken? Why completely destroy the foundation this game built in favor of trying something new? People expect weapon destroying fun and something that throws you in the thick of things rather than cutscene after cutscene after cutscene and this game knows what the people want and provides it and then some. I say the same on Dark Souls games for people who want something entirely new, Bloodborne mastered this craft by offering up something new in the combat but still keeping the bare and bones content that people have been eating up for half a decade. This game knows what it can and can't do and I love that, I love getting something consistent and for Forty US Dollars($40!), I felt I got more than my bang for the buck from this game. About 12 hours or so of an initial run by getting tons and tons of content, game was just well done and such a blast to play as a veteran of this series.

Whether you have played this series multiple times or are a newbie, you simply have to give this game a try if you have a PS4. IMO, it's right after Bloodborne as to being the best PS4 exclusive though admittedly I haven't played all of the exclusives(If any at all ) and Uncharted 4 has work to do to succeed R&C and even Bloodborne as to being king of the PS4 come next month.

Insomniac has given me 2 of my favorite current gen playthroughs in Ratchet and Clank and Sunset Overdrive so I welcome more and more titles from them. I hope Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog etc. take a lesson from this game consider their franchises like Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter a rebooted chance like this.

Would be criminal of Sony and Insomniac to not make future titles of this series, this game proves that non-Nintendo platformer games will always have a place in this gaming universe.

20) The Wolf Among Us- 5/27/14-6/2/14, 4/18-4/20

I played the 1st chapter of this game back in 2014 and for the life of me, could not get into it but for the purpose of this challenge with Telltale being easy gimmie games for this as well as GAF's stamp of approval of this game, I went back into this in April and was glad I did. The 1st chapter left much to be desired for me but going forth with the 2nd and so, the game picked up in a good way and I think by Chapter 4 when you finally got a true antagonist(s), the game got all the more better. Not sure if I like the presentation and I felt a few choices got cutoff before I could choose due to inconsistent timing of picking a choice when I was trying to evaluate what of the 4 choices could be made but it was a good game. Behind TWDS1 and TFTB, ahead of TWDDS2 as far as Telltale game rankings go.

(Apologies I know R&C and QB were pretty obnoxiously long but for some reason, I went really in on the writeups for those 2 games.)

52_G_End_Logo.png

Link to summary post

Finally! Game no. 52 bites the dust!

Progress was a lot slower this year, as I've been tied up in wedding prep... but August is still a solid time! Let's see how much farther I can go...

Game 50: The House of The Dead: Overkill (PC)
Finished 8/14/16 (1.5 pt, and a couple stages of TOTD)
Time to complete: 5 hours as per Steam

This is my second time trying to get into Typing of the Dead, as it absolutely refused to run on my laptop (GTX 940M, 16GB RAM). Refunded it, then re-bought it when I got a serious desktop rig...

Not all that happy with the content. The graphics are understandably aging, but the game just feels like it repeats itself too often. The stages were obviously balanced for playing HotD, and playing through them using the keyboard (i.e. TotD) leaves your hands and wrists tired after one or two stages, especially if your keyboard has heavy resistance. Ended up just finishing HotD all the way - while the gameplay remained old hat, the cheesy B-movie humor kept me just entertained enough to finish.

Game 51: Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PC)
Finished 8/14/16 (Around 1.5 pt of both Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara)
Time to complete: 3 hours as per Steam

This is still the same great game that I finished on the PS3 (got it free from Plus). I wouldn't have re-bought it on Steam however if I knew that the graphic options were so limited... otherwise, you pretty much know what you're getting here, SoM and its prequel are some of the greatest sidescrolling beat em ups ever made. The Thief is so boss!

Game 52: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)
Finished 8/29/16 (1pt, 85% completion, around 2 hours worth of Expeditions)
Time to complete: 24 hours as per Steam

Fucking A! That was one hell of a game.

I don't have a Xbox One, so I'm LTTP on Rise of the Tomb Raider and ended up playing it after Uncharted 4. Let me tell you, this game is incredibly underrated, and actually does a lot of things better than Uncharted 4. The shooting mechanics are far superior, the traversal has better "flow" and doesn't feel as mechanical, and there's a lot of entertaining busywork to do.

That said, it's not without its faults. There's a fair amount of backtracking to previously explored areas, and the aforementioned sidequest busywork sometimes feels a little too much like padding. And of course, just like the last game (and I was expecting this), the plot absolutely falls apart in the last couple of hours.

Basically, Uncharted 4 is the better experience of the two, and if you gave me the choice to play only one and eliminate the option to ever play the other, Thief's End would win every time - it truly is an incredibly memorable game. But strictly in terms of the base gameplay (especially in the puzzle quality), RotTR takes it by a mile - it's not even close. Bravo, Crystal Dynamics!

c9epryk.png

5h-ish. Completed Story mode, most levels with just one star.

Nice, relaxing Red Ball style mobile platformer, with an excuse plot, very nice 2D graphics and a difficulty that goes from "just right" if you only want to get the levels done to "devilish" if you want to three-star them. Won't remember it in a week, but it was worth the buck I paid for it.

Updated OP

Khrae

I've really stalled on this, having some nerve issues in my arms which makes gaming uncomfortable, and my main storage HDD failed so I lost a bunch of progress in a lot of my PC backlog.
Played a ton of Hearts of Iron 4 and Stellaris over the summer though, so I can stick those in the finished pile.

Game 10: Hearts of Iron IV
. Quite a step down from 3 in terms of complexity, and all games as Allies ends with a never-ending siege of Japan - which can make winning as a smaller Allied country nigh impossible as you just can't amass the troops to successfully invade.

Game 11. Stellaris. Great premise, but gets very samey after a few hours.

Linkyn

Main Post

Game 32: Mass Effect 2

Okay, I need to stop messing around so much. It took me what felt like an eternity to replay this one, and the launch of Legion is really not going to make things easier.

At any rate, as for the first one, I went through Mass Effect 2 in order to set up my galaxy state for Andromeda, with the added benefit of refreshing my French after 5-6 years of using virtually none of it. I'd just like to note a few things.

While the first Mass Effect is a third-person sci-fi RPG, its sequel feels a lot more like a traditional action-adventure or TPS (especially when playing as a soldier). While that is quite regrettable, the overall game design feels much tighter. The original offers much more customisability, but most of its systems are too messy to be interesting or fun. Similarly, exploration is largely cut in favour of more streamlined, linear stages. Playing through these again makes for a better overall experience, but the lack of free range is a real shame, although I should add that I vastly prefer linearity to empty open world / sandbox design (MAKO exploration is easily the most tedious element of the original, if not the entire trilogy).

I've heard from quite a few people that the main plot in ME2 lacks spirit. I don't think it can be argued that the grander and more 'epic' conflicts of 1 and 3 make for a much greater spectacle. At the same time, I kinda like the almost laid-back atmosphere of the second game. The way that you meander while solving minor problems, gradually add members to your team, and occasionally are confronted with the Collectors / Reapers almost make it feel like a science-fiction serial split into several seasons. This is reinforced by the more expansive and diverse cast of squad mates (including most of the humanoid galactic races, though curiously still missing a Batarian - I'm really hoping Andromeda will finally amend this), as well as more diverse character types. In ME1, much of the character dialogue on the Normandy is used to explain the peculiarities of the different races (and serves in part as exposition to the lore of the ME universe). Here, more time can be spent developing the characters and dealing with their unique issues, which is further detailed in their unique missions.

Finally, I'd like to give another shout-out to the suicide mission. While the ending to ME3 leaves much to be deserved, I've never been anything but impressed by the way the final mission in ME2 was designed, and the way it really does make you feel like your work throughout the game makes a difference (the first time through, I lost Jack because I'd lost her loyalty after the mission on Pragia). The flowchart of possible allied deaths still makes me chuckle whenever I look at it. I think I can unequivocally say that the suicide mission in ME2 is one of my all-time favourite video game scenarios, and to me represents the absolute pinnacle of the trilogy. It feels so well-made, in fact, that not even the lacklustre and frankly ridiculous final boss can make a dent in my opinion of it.

At any rate, I just wanted to get those things of my chest before moving on. My CE of Legion probably won't arrive for a few more days (I might have to wait until Monday), so I have a bit more time to hopefully push through a few shorter games and rebalance my count before that huge time sink hits.

PS: While I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the French writing (relative to the English version), differences in delivery rhythm / tempo have led to a series of unfortunate incidents where dialogue was skipped or characters were left awkwardly staring at each other while waiting for the scene to catch up.

Linkyn

Main Post

Game 33 & 34: Max Payne || Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

I wrote yesterday that I'd like to knock out a few quick ones before I start playing Legion, so I went ahead and re-installed the first two Max Payne games. I would have added a replay of the third game, as well, but I don't have an optical drive on my laptop, and for some dumb reason, Rockstar doesn't seem to allow me to just download a digital copy of my registered physical game.

At any rate, these two games are very near and dear to my heart, because they represent one of my earliest experiences with PC gaming (I got my first PC in 2000, and occasionally got to use my older brother's one before that, so my first PC games were mostly mid-to-late 90s titles like Starcraft, Half-Life, some of the later King's Quest entries, etc.). Since I was very young at the time, I often didn't really understand what was going on, which was aggravated by the fact that I didn't speak English at the time, so that I was more or less forced to piece together the story from context (to varying degrees of success). All this led to many of these early PC gaming experiences obtaining a mysterious quality that has persisted to this day (even after eventually replaying and beating them with the appropriate language skills).

That said, while one might be led to believe that my positivity stems purely from nostalgia, that couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is that there are not many games that have aged as well as the original Max Payne and its sequel. The presentation influenced by Film Noire, the graphic novel style narrative, the sometimes edgy, sometimes overly dramatic, but ultimately incredibly memorable writing all make these two games really unique and interesting.

Still, I probably wouldn't have as easy a time going back to them if the narrative was all they had going for them. What makes repeated playthroughs so enjoyable is the way in which all the small gameplay elements work together to make for a very dynamic experience. Despite the fact that the story is told in a fixed succession of chapters that all have a linear progression, the moment-to-moment provides a high level of variety (to the point where I sometimes reload a save after a fight just to go through it again). Bullet time is obviously the big hook here, but there's more to it than that. There is resource management in the form of painkillers and ammunition, there is mild platforming, there are environmental puzzles, there are destructible objects and environments, there is a variety of different weapons at your disposal, all of which are incredibly satisfying to fire (my personal favourite is the Desert Eagle, because of its damage output and precision, but mostly because of the low-pitch sound it produces when firing), there is the vaulting in and out of cover. This is reinforced further by the rag-doll physics in the second game. The end result is that the combat not only looks and feels very stylish, but that it is also incredibly entertaining and stimulating.

That aside, there are so many little details (some of which I didn't even remember) that just bring a big smile to my face - enemy dialogue that can be overheard, the fake in-universe TV shows, optional documents, dialogues and audio files that add to the story, the fact that enemies start limping when they're injured, Sam Lake's face in the first game, the trippy nightmare sequences, the way the camera follows the bullet after you fire using a sniper rifle, the automatic slow-motion when you defeat the last enemy in a group, and so on.

All of the above is part of my reasoning for wanting to go back to these games fairly regularly (I'd say at least once every other year). It certainly helps that they're both reasonably short (although the multiple difficulties and game modes do provide a fair amount of replay value), so they work incredibly well as fun little diversions for a day or two (as in this case).

Edit: Turns out my CE of Legion is arriving earlier than expected (today, in fact), so it's a good thing I managed to beat at least two more games for now.

Krafter

Completed games list

AUGUST END (9 games completed, 50 games total)
Best month of the year, hit the goal of 1 game per active platform with the Vita hitting two. This puts me right on the verge of hitting the 2016 challenge, and with a 4-day weekend coming right up, I will probably hit 52 by Monday. Been playing Painkiller, Tales from Space, Resistance: Burning Skies with Final Fantasy Tactics A2 taking most of my time.

Game 42: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS) - August 1 - 11 hours
Very interesting cross between an Adventure game and visual novel. Only about 3 to 4 actual puzzles in the whole game on 1 playthrough, I hit a bad end quite abruptly when I thought I was in for 1 or 2 more sequences. Kept my interest throughout regardless, always changing my theories on the who/what/why of it all. Will do speed runs to get to the true ending this week, as I hear it's a doozy.

Game 43: Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist (PSP) - August 4 - 8 hours
Predecessor to the Senran games, this is an old school brawler akin to Double Dragon starring the red-hot Battle Vixens and their little skirts. Game looks fantastic, and each of the three stories are beatable in a sitting providing you stay on the offensive. Did all three branches, then a run through arcade mode with best girl Ryofu. Will probably import the sequel.

Game 44: Slender: the Arrival (PS3) - August 7 - 7 hours
A mixed bag, but worth a play if you like horror. Some levels were very quiet and helped build the mood, but Slenderman is used too often too early (levels 2-3) and the "Oh Shit!" level later in the game suffers because of it. The flashback level was really creepy (especially as a three-time Dad) and did well to invoke a feeling of dread. Alberta wilderness is a great setting for this sort of thing.

Game 45: Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS) - August 9 - 27 hours
It pains me to admit this, but this is both the worst Paper Mario and the worst game Intelligent Systems has ever done. Backtracking to an absurd level, I finally relented to a complete step-by-step walkthrough to get by. No leveling up to help out, no party members, just freaking stickers everywhere. Combat is still good, at least.

Game 46: Penumbra: Black Plague (PC) - August 12 - 10 hours
Excellent follow-up to the original, Frictional may be the current horror leads with Silent Hill shelved. No combat, just survive and escape, with FPS mechanics and your "interaction hand." The addition of Clarence really hurt the game and the mood to a degree where I prefer the original, even though Black Plague has far more to do and uncover. Still a great, cold, lonely setting.

Game 47: Rainbow Moon (Vita) - August 17 - 133 hours
Wow, a real gem here. Somewhat open world, exploration based RPG with a fully turn-based combat system. Tons of skills/equipment to uncover/level up, side quests all over the place, a shitload of stuff to do in a lighthearted, fun setting. Six different characters to form your party of three from. Platinumed this, and Rainbow Moon is now my most played game of this year by a decent margin. A sequel is coming soon, too!

Game 48: Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) - August 20 - 78 hours
The DQ quest continues, I aim for 1 game a year and here's the 2016 entry. Huge world, but a large amount of playtime was simply grinding. Loved the cast (Jessica & Yangus mainly) and the party size, voice acting was full of fun and personality. Probably my favourite Level-5 RPG, but not DQ game as I liked IV and V better. Still, a fun, old-school romp that will always have a place on my shelf.

Game 49: Broforce (PS4) - August 23 - 8 hours
Side scrolling shooter in the vein of Rush n' Attack, but with a myriad of Action Heroes as your army and with destructible terrain thrown on top. The macho voice over guy was perfect, as well as the various takes on Rambo, Terminator, Ripley, ect. Final boss was rough, and the final mission was a fifth of the entire game. The most manliest American game ever, so naturally it was made in South Africa.

Game 50: Metrico (Vita) - August 29 - 4 hours
Puzzler that plays like a platformer. Only 6 levels, but each has totally different mechanics making for a unique experience. Needed help in some spots, but overall very fair. Perfect PS Plus game in the respect that I would have not given this one a shot otherwise.

OT

I beat You Must Build A Boat. It is structured better but pretty much 10000000.

Next up I finished Alien Infestation. This was a very fun Metroidvania (god I hate that term). It was short but simple and fun. Boss fights where pretty easy. I liked how they did your lives. Made you play a tad bit smarter. Totally recommend since it it can be found on the cheap right now.

Dryk

"More toppings!"

I did grow up with Zoombinis, and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. You should play the sequels (2 is just as good, 3 is a little weaker - sadly they're not on Steam).

Also I think you mean Humongous Games, not Marvelous. I have great fondness for Putt-Putt and Senran Kagura, but I don't remember playing the latter as a kid. :p
Ooooooops. Fixed XD

Also I may be being a little harsh on Humongous but Zoombinis is really good! I need to replay the games I actually did grow up with at some point like Eagle Eye Mysteries. I actually booted up Word Rescue for the first time in ages last year, that's not as good but it was good nostalgia trip.

EDIT: I'm going to have to dig up our PC-SIG disc now and see what I'm forgetting

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
250px-Xenogears_box.jpg

Xenogears really is a classic, shame about all its technical issues though. But heys! Just 9 more rpgs ta go! I'm finally outta double digits range!

Games Beaten: 45 / 52
Total Playtime: 831:46:37
01 - 27
28 - ??

original post

Game 39: Olli Olli (3DS) - 15 hours

This game had one of the sickest learning curves I've experienced recently. Skating on a 2D plane comes with controls that you've probably never encountered, but you might see how they make sense early on. Progressing, even if you grasp some of the details, every couple of stages you might think you just hit an impossible road block, or that you wouldn't ever be able to pull off the pro-stages. Yet by the end, you can blast through it all. Yet not because of stage memorization, but because you constantly get better with the mechanics. Sadly, sometimes the sticks aren't responsive enough and in stages that feature pseudo-platforming, you might need to change to the D-pad eventually. Also, sometimes one might glitch through grinds, even though it's generally a polished title. Apart from that, the short soundtrack can become repetitive fast. Though, it's not something that needs to be played in large sessions anyway.

LGom09

Full list.

26edd5c558936d9326272cca95094365.png
f41c247cd28704412c6ed7aa132541b2.png

Affordable Space Adventures - ★★★★
One of the few games that really took advantage of the Wii U gamepad. The gamepad screen acts as a control panel for a spaceship, allowing you to change things like thrusters, stabilizers, and landing gear on the fly. Another player controls the ship's movement and you have to coordinate to solve physics-based puzzles. You can also play by yourself, but I think it's more fun as a co-op game. The game throws new ideas at you at a steady rate and there a lot of clever little touches with the gamepad. It's probably worth playing for the novelty alone, but it's also just a solid puzzle game.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted - ★★★
Slick presentation, accessible controls, a bit repetitive, very easy for the most part. I'd say only one of the sixty-one events requires mastery and most of the others can easily be beaten on the first attempt. It can feel a bit grindy for that reason.

dougalism

Neo Member
Dougalism - Progress 34/52

Game 31: Tales of Legendia (PS2) - 20/7
Pretty average apart from the soundtrack which is phenomenal

Game 32: Everybody's Tennis (PSP) - 12/8
Beat the story mode and unlocked all characters, it got quite difficult towards the end.

Game 33: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - 19/8 (PSOne Classics)
Charming. I would have enjoyed it more if my VITA didn't insist that my memory card has been removed so much that I had to redo the last 3 stages multiple times.

Game 34: MonsterBag (VITA) - 21/8
Short and sweet. The perfect game for PS+ as I would likely have never picked it up otherwise.

July & August update. A slow couple of months, still pretty much on target though.

Eblo

I put off reserving a post, and suddenly 8 months passed. Hopefully it's not too late to jump in on the fun; I have been keeping track of everything I've played throughout the year. Will update this post later with thoughts on each game as well as entries for new games I've played.

Games: 69/52

1. The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna: 2015-January 1
    While not as powerful as the main game, Road to Gehenna does not fail in the philosophy department. You get to see a different side of Elohim as you solve even more hair-pulling puzzles in order to liberate the remaining prisoners. Some of the puzzles are pretty damn obtuse, even for The Talos Principle. I fully look forward to seeing a sequel to the main game.
  2. Final Fantasy VIII: January 1-10
    Replay.
  3. Portal: January 10-11
    Replay.
  4. Psychonauts: January 11-16
    A game that's 2000s as hell, for which I love it. I did not know about this game until recently, but even when playing it I felt like I was 10 years younger. The game has an interesting concept of becoming a psychic superhero who can jump into people's minds, not to mention the last ride of the game being quite a wild one.
  5. Beyond Good & Evil: January 17-January 23
    Same with Psychonauts about it being a 2000s game and making me feel young despite playing it over a decade after the fact. I really, really enjoyed the action and puzzle sections, but the stealth sections were placed so frequently that it took the game down a notch. Stealth would have been excellent if used more sparingly, as sort of a condiment to the action/puzzle gameplay. And again like Psychonauts, the final ride is crazy.
  6. Freedom Wars: January 24-February 13
    I'm amazed that Sony could take such an interesting, unique idea and ruin it by slathering it in generic anime crap. It's a bit difficult to absorb the dystopian prison atmosphere when everyone's wearing bright and colorful designer clothes. Gameplay gets extremely tedious towards the end. I enjoyed the first two-thirds of it or so, but the anime stuff dragged the whole experience down.
  7. The Witness: February 13-14
    I enjoyed the puzzles and atmosphere a lot. The ending is another matter.
  8. DmC: Devil May Cry: February 16-22
    One of those cases where my preconceived notions about a game were proven to be entirely wrong. DmC is good. DmC Dante is a good character. The gameplay is tighter than even that of the mainline DMC series, and I personally enjoy this Dante more than the classic one we came to know and love. I would easily take a DmC2 over a DMC5. Ninja Theory has proven they're more than capable of succeeding the throne.
  9. Twilight Princess HD: March 4-9
    Probably my 4th time playing through this game or so, and this time I went for 100%. Having played only the Wii version, I had to re-learn the layout of the non-flipped overworld. It almost felt like playing the game for the first time.
  10. Life is Strange: March 11-18
    A surprisingly affecting game for me. Some really good plot twists, an intriguing core concept, and characters that are likeable. It definitely has replay value, and I intend to go through and see what happens if I make entirely different choices.
  11. Contradiction - Spot the Liar!: March 22-25
    Short and simple game with hilariously absurd writing. FMV-based narration is a neat idea, one that isn't used much anymore. I loved the ridiculousness of it all, from the hammy acting to the fact that the protagonist relies on a pay phone in modern times. The main flaw in my opinion is the the combination of the cliffhanger ending and unsatisfying reveal of the killer. I would gladly buy the sequel just to experience more absurdity and to learn more about the antagonistic force.
  12. Tri Force Heroes: April 3-9
    A multiplayer game where you can spam emotes with your friends, and it even includes Zelda gameplay on the side. I did not enjoy Tri Force Heroes too much. The Four Swords model simply does not work as well as the standard Zelda formula. The story is silly and lighthearted, almost on the tier of the Katamari series. It looks good on paper, but in practice I just do not find myself enjoying it all too much. I only pushed myself to finish it because it's Zelda and supposedly canon.
  13. Ratchet & Clank (PS4): April 13-18
    My first Ratchet & Clank game, which I impulse bought because I wanted a PS4 exclusive to make my PS4 feel more justified, and it was really cheap. It is what it is, a simple platformer with gunplay and silliness all around. The graphics are easy on the eyes, too. My main complaint is that even when I went for 100%, it was a terribly short game. Maybe it was for the better, I dunno.
  14. Uncharted: April 18-21
    Going along with my desire for PS4 exclusives, I set my sights on Uncharted 4. But I couldn't play that without having played the original trilogy. It would be nice if I were to expand my gaming horizons by picking up a game of a genre I don't play, and thus Uncharted found its way into my hands. I enjoyed the first game, though at some points its age really showed, particularly when enemy encounters were spammed relentlessly. Ease it up with some puzzles and exploration, yo. The banter between characters managed to keep things fresh, and Sully is the best. "That" part caught me by surprise and was really effective for a turning point in the story. The final boss was a disappointing encounter to the point where the game would have been better without it.
  15. Uncharted 2: April 21-25
    Even better than the first with a strong opening, and stealth helped to evolve the series. You have so many options in combat scenarios. Sully is still the best character. The final boss felt more like a boss, but it suffered from being way too repetitive and easy.
  16. Uncharted 3: April 25-28
    I'm one of those people who liked this more than Uncharted 2, but I can see its flaws. Too many big brutes and one too many pirate ship chapters. While it clearly has more negatives than Uncharted 2, I would say 3 has more positives as well. Uncharted 3 perfectly nails the atmosphere of isolation in the second half. I really liked Cutter for the time he was in; it's really unfortunate that real life removed him. His banter added a lot to character interaction. Even so, Sully remains the best character.
  17. Uncharted: Golden Abyss: April 29-May 1
    Oh boy. This game. Bend somehow managed to simultaneously make the game feel too "handheld" and too "console" at the same time. They tried to shove the console experience of Uncharted into a handheld without much adaptation to fit the medium. Even worse is when the game does have handheld features, but those moments feel shoehorned and just scream "haha vita features mang." The only things this game did well were having a normal treasure for once and maintaining an interesting cast of which Sully was the best.
  18. Severed: May 2-4
    I dig a lot of things about Severed. The visuals, the atmosphere, the music, the gameplay, the story. It's a nice little package wrapped with care. While it is a criminally short game, the length matches the expansion of battle mechanics so that it doesn't get stale or too crazy as things drag on. I would definitely like to see more of the Severed universe, but preferably in a way that doesn't involve burning my fingertips off.
  19. We Love Katamari: May 5-6
    Replay.
  20. Arkham Asylum: May 6-9
    THIS is how you make a licensed game. Normally you'd expect something like Pepsiman at worst or The Adventures of Batman & Robin at best. Asylum does show its age in some ways, namely repetitiveness and a basic plot. But in other ways, it's way ahead of its time. Freeflow combat, fun gadgets that have meaningful uses, graphics, and a Batman story that's just plain good. Asylum's main quirks are being dated and having straight-up bad bosses, with the final boss being a huge offender. The overall experience is definitely one worth having nonetheless.
  21. Uncharted 4: May 10-14
    I share pretty much the common opinion on this. Naughty Dog is talented, and it shows. Uncharted 4 takes the necessary cues from The Last of Us to deliver a high-caliber narrative. Tall grass adds something to stealth, allowing you to either lurk or hide bodies. Running at 30 FPS does take the experience down a bit, especially when you've played immediately after running through the trilogy. The treasure of Uncharted 4 is by far the most interesting, and the foreshadowing builds to a satisfying reveal. Uncharted 4 is easily my favorite of the pentalogy, and of course Sully is the best character.
  22. Metal Gear Solid: May 14-16
    My next foray into expanding my gaming palate. The original MGS1 surprised me with how innovative it was, even though I played it 18 years after the fact. Cinematic cutscenes, gameplay that is shaped by the environment, and an interesting plot seasoned with a few silly moments. When scouting for a way to break into Shadow Moses, I ran up a snowy slope to get a better grasp of things. A sentry caught me by surprise when he said, "Whose footprints are these?!" The rest of the game was history.
  23. Metal Gear Solid 2: May 16-20
    MGS2 manages to up the ante of everything MGS1 had going for it: cinematics, plot, environmental gameplay, and of course zany moments. I was truly impressed by the evolution of gameplay in particular; I felt like the environment played into gameplay more than ever, providing at least two new levels of depth to the experience. What I did not like was that the entire plant section felt like a temporary thing until I could play as Solid Snake again (which didn't happen lol). I'm a bit indifferent on the plot. It makes sense when thought out, but it's pretty convoluted to the point of rivaling Kingdom Hearts. However, the gameplay easily makes up for it.
  24. Metal Gear Solid 3: May 20-25
    Then MGS manages to outdo itself yet again. Rarely does one see such a perfect game with all the right pieces in all the right places. I'll refrain from going on and on because I have way too much to say for this simple paragraph. The plot is near flawless. MGS3 manages to be its own self-contained story while at the same time laying the foundation for the rest of the series. Ocelot becomes much more likeable, we get to see Big Boss in the green, and one of the most compelling stories in gaming gets unraveled masterfully. MGS3 is one of the best games I've ever played.
  25. Metal Gear Solid 4: May 26-31
    And then the next entry ruins it all. There isn't much I can say positively about Metal Gear Solid 4. The Shadow Moses chapter and a couple of its boss fights are pretty cool, I guess? That's about it. The rest is nothing but crap. The game can't even reach a stable 20 FPS, the integration of gameplay and level design is gone, the plot is god awful and stupid, I could run through most levels not giving a fuck about stealth and often I could do so without taking a single bullet, stupid subplots abound, and the list goes on. MGS4 seems like an effortless attempt to resolve the series unnecessarily, as evidenced by the constant references to previous games and the pointless subplots (I'm looking at you; Colonel, Rose, and random child of Rose). The series would be better off if this game were just erased from existence. I'm completely dumbfounded as to how this netted so many rave reviews and 90+/100 scores. I don't see how, even in the context of the times. MGS4 is one of the worst games I've played.
  26. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: June 1-2
    I don't feel very strongly about Peace Walker one way or the other. Having a mission-based system made things different. The plot was okay. Bosses were uninteresting. I ended up blasting through PW because I felt that the next games would be more potent experiences for me.
  27. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: June 2-4
    After MGS3, Metal Gear Rising is my favorite game in the series. The plot is mostly serious, but that isn't to say the player will be deprived of Metal Gear's staple silliness. The game manages to take the futuristic implications of MGS4 and put them into a world that takes full advantage of them, all the while making fun of MGS4's weird plot (nanomachines, son). Not to mention the game provides a real challenge all the way through, culminating in one of the best yet most difficult final bosses I've ever faced. I love the Monsoon boss in particular, as he serves as a wake-up call for players who haven't yet grasped parrying combos. MGR is full to the brim of little things that yield great satisfaction when mastered. I would kill for a sequel.
  28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes: June 4-5
    First impression: I dig it, I really do. The gameplay is incredible, the story is interesting, and there's so much to do in one small, concentrated area. I can't forgive the price tag in any sense, though. Even for $5 on sale, the price felt steep. But at least it was a nice taste for the upcoming game, right? The full MGSV game will be even grander, right?
  29. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: June 5-12
    Sort of. MGSV:TPP absolutely delivers on the gameplay front. I easily accumulated at least 45 hours of gameplay, which I rarely do for games that aren't JRPGs. You've likely heard it a million times by now, but I'll echo the sentiment: MGSV is a hot, unfinished mess. The story is devoid of little quirky moments that MGS is known for. Snake is suddenly not a smartass who repeats everything he hears in question form. Ocelot somehow has a Texan accent despite being a Soviet who has a Russian accent by the time of MGS1. Quiet is an embarrassment. Beyond the common opinion, I'll argue that gameplay isn't the best either. There are like 2 bosses in the entire game, and they aren't too interesting. As such there are no real hallmarks to a player's progression of skill. The great length works against the game's rise in difficulty, namely, the disappearance thereof. You eventually acquire a huge arsenal of powerful gadgets that make ops take no effort, but the ops themselves don't become accordingly more challenging. Not to mention the story progression is sparse as well thanks to length. The game stops challenging your stealth abilities after around 20 missions in; I would have rather it ended at that point. MGSV:TPP is a mixed bag for me.
  30. Arkham City: June 14-17
    In Batman's next great licensed adventure, Rocksteady managed to improve everything. Familiar yet evolved gameplay? Check. An open world that serves the gameplay well? Check. A much better story with a tasteful and extremely satisfying ending? CHECK. Arkham City definitely has the better selection of pluses versus minuses in the series.
  31. 999: June 18-20
    Replay.
  32. Virtue's Last Reward: June 21-26
    Replay.
  33. Arkham Origins: June 27-July 7
    Like most others, I found Origins to be a bit samey and buggy. I once managed to take down an enemy that was 20 meters away without touching him. At one point, takedowns wouldn't work at all. Fuck the Riddler. The core gameplay is still enjoyable, but you can't get much in Origins that wasn't already offered in City. I liked Roger Craig Smith's performance as Batman; he managed to portray the brutishness of an early Batman effectively while also demonstrating character development, a rarity for the Bat. I was not a fan of Troy Baker's Joker. He came across as hammy Hamill imitator. Origins definitely wins in the boss department, with the first boss being one of the best in the series. The game overall doesn't leave much of an impression, as solid as it is.
  34. Zero Time Dilemma: July 1-5
    Improved puzzles, albeit some types of puzzles got used too often. A plot with more interesting twists. And finally, an ending that leaves way too many questions unanswered. I don't want to talk about this that much.
  35. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: July 2-
    I don't like kart racers. In fact, this was a pure impulse purchase, but it turned out to be one that was completely worth it. I've had such a blast with Transformed and its multiplayer mode. It's just simple kart fun where you try to fuck over your friends, laughing all the while. I accumulated a dozen or so hours fairly quickly with this gem. I just wish that Nights were actually Nights and that the Sonic cast didn't hog the spotlight so much. Where the fuck is playable Ristar?
  36. Furi: July 6-9
    Difficulty based on learning. I love it. Aesthetics that make PS4 shine. Love it. A plot that's mysterious but not without substance. Love it. The final postgame boss... I'm not sure how I feel. Game definitely warrants a replay. I'd like to see how much I dominate now that I've mastered the combat.
  37. Okami HD: July 9-21
    A Zelda clone? Alright, you've caught my interest. Oh, and it bases its plot and art style on awesome ancient Japanese folklore? Sweet. It's difficult to put how I feel about Okami into words, but it's mostly positive. Combat doesn't get truly stale until the very end thanks to a nicely placed skill ceiling. You can continually improve until you're destroying endgame enemies within 5 seconds. Okami is one of those few games I've played to 100% completion. I liked the three-act structure that faked me out with its endings. I did not like the reused bosses, and Cherry Bomb is extremely overpowered in strength and usability. I really enjoyed the simple yet involving story, with the ending being particularly emotional. The game just oozes style.
  38. Arkham Knight: July 23-August 1
    Arkham Knight simply looks amazing. The predator encounters are more developed than ever, offering a multitude of options at any given point. Not to mention that the militia is smart enough to respond to Batman's tactics, leaving players to use new strategies as an encounter progresses. The overworld blends with its pieces seamlessly. All of that is good and dandy. Then there's the Batmobile. The goddamn Batmobile. As with anyone else, I believe it would have been better in far smaller doses. It gets repetitive fast. It isn't even the fastest way to traverse Gotham. It's used to often that it becomes a blight on what would otherwise be my favorite Arkham game by a mile. I liked the Arkham Knight as a character/villain. Truly Batman's most dangerous adversary. Unfortunately the foreshadowing gets about as subtle a brick when certain flashbacks start happening. The game also lacks in bosses, an unfortunate lesson not learned from the previous game. Still, the plot is perhaps my favorite of the tetralogy. It's serious, it's mature, it's a nice take on what happens in a post-Joker Gotham, Scarecrow is an actual threat, the ending is climactic, and there's symbolism everywhere. Batmobile aside, I enjoyed every minute. I went for every sidequest besides the arduous Riddler sidequest.
  39. Sonic CD: August 1-2
    Replay as Tails. The level design is much less hostile when you can simply fly over most obstacles.
  40. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice: August 5-9
    Replay. Reminded me how much I don't like the post-trilogy games.
  41. Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone (PSOne): August 10-19
    I remembered this game too fondly. Replaying this was a nightmare. Typical licensed game. Take some scrappy gameplay, loosely tie it into a famous series, and throw a price tag on it. It was hilarious at first with the blatant disregard for consistency and logic, but by the end it was mentally taxing to play through.

----------------------------------
    Second Post
  42. SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom: August 13-16
  43. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: August 16-17
  44. Rhythm Heaven Megamix: August 19-28
  45. Tomb Raider (2013): August 20-26
  46. The World Ends With You: August 28-September 3
  47. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming: 2014-September 7
  48. Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice: September 8-17
  49. Journey: September 17
  50. A Link to the Past: September 17-20
  51. Link's Awakening DX: September 20-24
  52. Oracle of Seasons: September 24-27
  53. Oracle of Ages: September 27-October 1
  54. Brutal Legend: October 3-7
  55. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver: October 7-8
  56. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition: October 8-11
  57. Rise of the Tomb Raider: October 11-16
  58. Chase: Cold Case Investigations: October 19
  59. Soul Reaver 2: October 19-21
  60. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap: October 21-25
  61. Legacy of Kain: Defiance: October 25-28
  62. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: October 28-November 2
  63. Super Mario Galaxy 2: November 3-6
  64. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam: November 7-14
  65. Watch Dogs 2: November 15-22
  66. Pokemon Sun: November 22-27
  67. Final Fantasy XV: November 29-December 16
  68. A Story About My Uncle: December 16-17
  69. The Last Story: December 20-29

Skikkiks

Master Post

Game 53: Bound (PS4) | ~2 Hours | 08/17/16 | 3/5

Bound is a game. Its artstyle is good, its story is not very gripping and the gameplay is alright. The real key of Bound is roll jumping. As much of an artsy game it is, the game seems to be designed for speedrunning. Roll jumping lets you traverse at stupid speeds, to the point where the camera doesn't follow you correctly. Doing this as much as I could made the game a lot more fun. Beyond that it's rather fine, worth a look if you're interested.

Game 54: Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC) | 6 Hours | 08/29/16 | 4/5

Heard it was good and saw some screens so I got it on the summer sale. Played it and I got a super pleasant surprise. Controls are tight, level design was solid and the challenge felt well designed, even on Hard. Artstyle is alright pixel art, character and enemy design are good. Bosses are a big part of the game and are well done, save for some odd decisions like one boss just not getting hit by arrows for no reason. But yeah, solid stuff.

Game 55: Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death (PC) | 5 Hours | 09/02/16 | 3/5

This I feel, from the official Steam page, accurately descirbes the game more than I ever could.

A new breed of WARRIOR returns, committed to destroying the enemies of FREEDOM When ONE angry man, has a world to protect - There is only ONE future – HIS OWN No-nonsense hero Marlow never shied away from danger or trouble. But now he faces his ULTIMATE challenge.

Marlow Briggs is a rather bootleg God of War clone, complete with right analog rolls, orbs that bleed out of enemies to restore health and weapons and large magic attacks unlocked during the course of the game. One of the more noteworthy parts of the game is the setting, that frequently alternates between Oil Refinery esque Factory areas to more natural jungle/mountain areas, sometimes even combining both. Beyond that it really is a bootleg God of War experience, but bootleg just the right amount; so as to not feel like you're playing a completely shitty game.

NHale

August Update

Game 26 - Orc Slayer ☆☆☆☆☆
I really believe the developer had bigger expectations for the game but he simply couldn't do more than this. It's bad no matter what it costs.

Game 27 - Day of the Tentacle Remastered ★★☆☆☆
I had fun with some of the puzzles and the writing of the game, but maybe it's some obtuse of the original designs that made me not like it so much.

Game 28 - Ultratron ★★☆☆☆
Had fun with the game as a twin-stick shooter but unless you are obsessed with leaderboards there is no reason to keep playing it more than 1 time.

Game 29 - Murdered: Soul Suspect ★★☆☆☆
This could have been a great game but some of the game breaking bugs (developer shutting down before they could make patches to the game) and some rushing in the story development, make it feel like a losing opportunity. I would be shocked if a indie developer doesn't take this idea and try to make a 2-3 hour game out of it without padding and glitches. Combat should have been eliminated as well.

Game 30 - ALBEDO: Eyes From Outer Space ★☆☆☆☆
Camera and controls make the brown world look even worse than it is. It's janky but there are some cool puzzles to be found here. Just brown puzzles.

Game 31 - Wrecked: Revenge Revisited ☆☆☆☆☆
A racing game with a terrible camera is a game that doesn't deserve to exist. Also to boost you have to press accelerate-brake-accelerate. Yes while other buttons are free to use. Oh yeah.

Game 32 - Tricky Towers ★★★☆☆
What a nice surprise of a game. Very good multiplayer both online and local. Even had fun with the majority of the trials.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
latest

All done speeding the original .hack// game series! After beating Quarantine in one day across two 3 hour sittings I'm beat!

Games Beaten: 46 / 52
Total Playtime: 837:40:08
01 - 27
28 - ??

jiggles

Banned
Archive Post

degojoq69.png

Game 29 - Deus Ex: Go [iOS] ★★★
Another solid entry in the decreasingly-surprisingly-great Go series from Eidos. Like Lara Croft: Go and Hitman: Go before them, Deus Ex: Go presents the player with a handful of chapters, each introducing a new thematic gameplay mechanic in a set of turn-based puzzles. However, unlike the previous games that gave you a couple of things to aim for in each level, there is only really one goal needed to hit mastery of each level. Mastering every level was therefore fairly trivial. Other changes-for-the-worse include an overbearing narrative that forces you to tap through unskippable dialogue, and a multi-purpose powerup that isn't fully explained. And the performance is pretty ropey on my iPad Mini 3. But they added weekly puzzle packs (for free) and you can unlock 5 Praxis Packs in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with this game, and that's a nice bonus, given the game is good enough to warrant a purchase on its own merit.

onik9qppg.png

Game 30 - One Night in Karazhan: A Hearthstone Adventure ★★★
Like the other Hearthstone single-player adventures, One Night in Karazhan is a set of chapters with fun twists to the mechanics. Some require you to use a set deck, while some let you pull your own decks in. The presentation is immaculate and one particular encounter (a Hearthstone take on Chess) is particularly brilliant and one I wish was a permanent fixture for PvP. However, it leans a little too heavily on the WoW references (which I've never played) and was ultimately a little too easy. I haven't played Hearthstone regularly in over a year, but I was almost able to blast through the whole thing with 2 of my go-to decks from back then. Only one of the encounters required me to go to the deck builder, and that was only because the rules were skewed towards Mages and I don't play Mage, so had no decks. When I finished it off, I was left feeling a little empty. I've fallen behind the meta, and there are too many cards now that I can't be bothered trying to tune a new deck. Still worth a go, but less now than it ever was, and that's a little disappointing.

Original post

yt5q98kl.jpg

44. No Man's Sky (PC, 2016) - 64:46
All milestones complete. Atlas Path complete. 152,589 light years remaining to galactic core.

The game is both wildly ambitious and fatally flawed, in some ways more akin to a treatise on the limitations of procedurally generated worlds. There are hints here and there, buried in No Man's Sky's reams of half-garbled alien dialogue, that its makers were well aware of their creation's limitations. In fact, there are signs throughout No Man's Sky that point to an odd self-esteem issue of sorts: a game that clearly wants to deliver a fully constructed and compelling galaxy, but occasionally doubts its own ability to do so through its own lore. I don't know what to make of this, especially since much of the relevant alien dialogue is untranslated, leaving only your formless protagonist's thoughts about what's happening.

The game is best thought of as a sort of meditative exercise. At first, you'll visit wonderous new worlds with all kinds of strange flora and fauna. You'll experience harsh wind storms, freezing rain, intense radiation and aggressive sentinels, and manage to live through most if not all of it. Strange aliens will talk to you and you won't understand; and then, slowly but surely, you will. All these little stories, like the planets and moons you land on, will be yours. But unlike the planets and moons, whose database entries you get to emblazon with your own name, the stories are not yours alone. You will quickly discover that everyone has stories much like yours: the planet where you found flying worm creatures. The planet littered with vortex cubes that would automatically slap you with a sentinel alert if you picked them up. The weird monolith that doesn't do anything but is clearly placed there for a reason (or is it?).

There are only so many notable variations on too few themes. It's hard to know how much of this is intentional, how much of the experience is supposed to be alienating in this way. Or maybe this is just all that could be built, the limits of Hello Games's small team. Either way, it's all too easy to see the nuts and bolts behind the illusion. Zinc plants always look like this. The plants that restore your shield always look like that. Plutonium crystals are never very far away. Caves will almost always have mysterious glowing red sparkles everywhere. Korvax installations always look like this, and their transmission towers always ask for the same sets of middle-grade math puzzle solutions. That Vy'keen solider will always want you to punch it in the face when prompted. Almost every system has a space station, and that space station always has the same number of landing berths and the same public-access door on one side and an Atlaspass V1 door on the other.

And yet, for all of that, I had fun. The eight hours I spent on a hostile planet baked by the sun were a neat challenge, though not for the expected reasons. Hopping around a planet looking for vortex cubes, or trying to break into every operations center I could find, or just spelunking in caves for an hour, were interesting things to do regardless of the game's other shortcomings. And in its own way, the game could be quite beautiful.

I don't know if I'll come back at this point, though. Eventually, the sheer repetition grinds on you. It dulls your senses to the possibility of anything new, such that even if you did see it, you might miss it entirely or dismiss it as just another variation on the same theme. On one of the last planets I landed on, I found floating plant-like bulbs. Mining them yielded Radnox. Cool, I guess? Then I moved on with my life. No Man's Sky is no longer a wonderous place, and I wonder what it would take to get that back. Maybe nothing can. But it was that place once, and that's worth something.

OT

For 36 I completed Shadow Warrior on the Xbone. This game was so much fun. I highly recommend this to anyone who has not played it yet. The story is kind of meh but the game play/ controls are fantastic.

Next up was No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise. I did not really enjoy this game at all. Maybe it just didn't age well or what but it was almost a struggle to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom