• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

snacknuts

we all knew her
Last week my wife and I went on our annual trip to visit her grandmother. She's 92 and had just moved out of her home and in with my wife's aunt and uncle because she can't be on her own anymore. While we were there, she asked us to please visit her old house and take anything we wanted because she already had everything she needed at the new place and everything was going to go into an estate sale. We got a few odds and ends, but I was sort of humbled and delighted to get her favorite recipe book, Cocina Criolla by Nitza Villapol. Her grandmother is Cuban and the book is in Spanish, which is going to be an interesting challenge, but she's been using the book for decades and I know some of their family favorites came from it. She has, over the years, stuck other recipes in the book and written some down on blank pages in the back. Last year for Thanksgiving I made a couple of her traditional recipes for my wife and her family, so it's kind of wonderful to have access to this book and some of the memories its recipes will help people enjoy.

SVhM1uc.jpg

this reminds me that i want to try my hand at making tomato preserves
Tedious, but the process flows quickly. I have limited pots and room, so I have to do a lot of cleaning in the process to repurpose my pots for the next step. I'm debating between saving for a pressure canner or just getting a basic water bath pot that sell for like $20-$30 bucks. Use pint jars if you don't have a tall pot to sink the quart jars into.

Tomatoes are the easiest to do. And they do look pretty sitting in the jars. The orange heirlooms look really pretty, and would probabably look really cool mixed with the reds.

WedgeX

Banned
Has anyone perfected a French onion grilled cheese sandwich with gruyere? Perhaps even just a good way to carmelize some onions for said sandwich?

I got addicted to the taste of French onion soup but...I'm not feeling soup today.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Last week my wife and I went on our annual trip to visit her grandmother. She's 92 and had just moved out of her home and in with my wife's aunt and uncle because she can't be on her own anymore. While we were there, she asked us to please visit her old house and take anything we wanted because she already had everything she needed at the new place and everything was going to go into an estate sale. We got a few odds and ends, but I was sort of humbled and delighted to get her favorite recipe book, Cocina Criolla by Nitza Villapol. Her grandmother is Cuban and the book is in Spanish, which is going to be an interesting challenge, but she's been using the book for decades and I know some of their family favorites came from it. She has, over the years, stuck other recipes in the book and written some down on blank pages in the back. Last year for Thanksgiving I made a couple of her traditional recipes for my wife and her family, so it's kind of wonderful to have access to this book and some of the memories its recipes will help people enjoy.

After my grandmothers death, I got her recipe book.. sadly she never went into much detail with her recipes and one or two of my most beloved dishes are missing, but still it is amazing to have it.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Has anyone perfected a French onion grilled cheese sandwich with gruyere? Perhaps even just a good way to carmelize some onions for said sandwich?

I got addicted to the taste of French onion soup but...I'm not feeling soup today.

Yeah, just caramelize some onions with butter and use the same pan for the grilling.

I usually do my grilled cheeses like that. Instead of tomato soup, I just have a beef au jus.

It's so hot outside..36°C and with 86% humidity it's killing me.
so for Lunch I had tofu with soy sauce

For Dinner we will have eggplant with miso and minced meat over rice.

The Tofu (this one https://www.japancentre.com/en/products/3231-satonoyuki-silken-tofu ) was a little bitter, which I find strange. The best before date was january 2017 so eh..maybe it was just me.
Do you use the green eggplants or the purple kind? I have some of the little round green ones and was thinking about throwing them on the grill in halves. Do you prepare them in any special way or season them?

The only eggplant I've used are the bulb round purple kind. I would dice them up and put them in ratatouille. I haven't been very adventurous with them.

Made Chef John's from Food Wishes paper roasted pork, and Eastern NC BBQ Sauce.

M71pq14.jpg

It came it amazing, very moist and tender. Think just pretty much collapsed under it's weight.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Do you use the green eggplants or the purple kind? I have some of the little round green ones and was thinking about throwing them on the grill in halves. Do you prepare them in any special way or season them?

The only eggplant I've used are the bulb round purple kind. I would dice them up and put them in ratatouille. I haven't been very adventurous with them.

4 small japanese Eggplants or two "normal" ones.
Ground pork 200g
★ miso, mirin and sugar each 2 tablespoons
★ soy sauce 1 tablespoon
★ doubanjiang teaspoon 1/2 to 1
Sesame oil (for finishing) 1 tablespoon -
Potato starch (only if you want, for thickening) 1/2 tablespoon

1. Cut the Eggplant into pieces
this is its last resort
, fry them in Oil
2. Add the minced meat, fry some more, until the meat is sightly browned
3. While frying mix everything with a ★
3. add the mixture made out of the ★ items and let some water evaporate
4. if you want, thicken with starch
http://cookpad.com/recipe/1203423

Doubanjiang is a really spicy paste.

We usually use the common purple kind, b/c you can find them in any supermarket in germany.

Edit: 9:45 AM and I'm preparing the bobby beans for the polish meatballs with beans and potatoes

1PM it was so delicious..
itlQBqZ.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Mang, it's 35 Celsius outside, Frikadellen mit Bohnen?

We both died making it a thousand times b/c of the weather..but when we found fresh beans we really got the urge to eat it. So we made it the beans at 9AM and the Frikadellen at 11AM :D..

That looks really good.

Everyone likes to think I'm a great cook around here, but this topic makes me realize I know so little. There's still a ton of stuff my grandmother used to make or prepare in a pressure cooker that I don't have a clue how to make.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I just made bacon garlic fried rice for breakfast.
added a little miso and hoisin sauce.

I know it's questionable to have that for breakfast, but eh.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This weekend I made Gordon Ramsay's stuffed roast chicken with white beans and chorizo. I didn't bother taking pictures of the final product because it just looks like any other chicken.

Chorizo and sundried tomatoes were homemade. I couldn't be arsed to cook the beans the day before, so I bought a jar of them at the shop. Thyme was also dried instead of fresh, although I'm thinking about planting some when I visit my parents' house in the country.

Trigger alert: the lemon goes in the butt.

The chicken was very nicely cooked, but not particularly flavourful. It probably needed more salt. The real star were the beans, which were amazing (but that's to be expected with an entire spicy chorizo sausage, an entire onion and lots of garlic). The lemon stuff was a bit odd. While the resulting juices were nicely flavoured, pressing the lemon to squeeze the pulp left a very bitter taste, as the juice from the lemon mixed with the skin itself. I suggest to make a test batch (which I did); otherwise you may ruin all the liquids with some nasty lemony bitterness.

6/10 will not make again. I'd rather cook some proper Spanish beans or plain roast chicken with a tastier mix of spices.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just the mug!
AH! okay, proceed then.
Nonsense! Food is food and can be eaten whenever and for whatever reason you like. I have dinner leftovers for breakfast probably twice a week.
I've to say, with a warm breakfast I usually feel better. Yoshinoya was my go-to breakfast before school in tokyo and I loved it.

Trigger alert: the lemon goes in the butt.
If you want to put citrus into chickens, I would recommend to try this recipe for Citrus Sage Roast Chicken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jpn-VFce5Q :D We love it. But we don't cook the side dish she recommends in the video, I usually make some polenta.

zbarron

Today we're making Osso Buco. I figure such a tasty dish deserves a step by step. Keep in mind this is far from authentic, it's just how I make it.

Start by seasoning your beef shanks with salt and pepper on both sides and searing in an (un)healthy amount of extra virgin olive oil.
28699187803_9b96a66f5c_c.jpg

On both sides: Don't worry about cooking through, we're just developing flavor here. I'm doing them 1 at a time since they're big 14 ounce ones and I don't want to crowd the pan.
28697138714_00c1584387_c.jpg

Turn heat down to medium and add your mirepoix/battuto.
29241329651_5a75df2ed5_c.jpg

When vegetables are soft add minced garlic.
28697166634_a796dd185c_c.jpg

And tomato paste.
29286253796_ffc1851cc1_c.jpg

Deglaze with wine.
29241356781_59daf64478_c.jpg

Add Worcestershire sauce.
29241373271_e162a3d942_c.jpg

Add diced tomatoes.
29212033622_27b77bd585_c.jpg

Add broth (this is some better than bullion that hasn't been mixed with water.)
29320122575_d8f7659703_c.jpg

Add dry spices.
28699276333_9a5ffe7d79_c.jpg

Add a bay leaf.
28697277084_ddbbe634fb_c.jpg

Bring to a boil and add your meat back in. Make sure you have pringles nearby. Cooking is hunger inducing work.
28697294074_6431239636_c.jpg

Cover and throw in oven. I'm cooking this at 275.
29241291321_92a3042ba6_c.jpg

To be continued in a few hours.

zbarron

I didn't get any picture of the first steps of the polenta. I used Chef John's recipe. I started by bringing four cups of chicken broth to a boil and slowly pouring in cornmeal while whisking vigorously.

Here's it right as I turned the heat down to low.
29246135751_6746a416d3_c.jpg

After covering it I start on the gremolata. I gather my mise for it.
29291195486_e3f468d9cb_c.jpg

I chop the parsley a little bit.
29325031115_797445ab4b_c.jpg

Add minced garlic.
29246156151_9bfc7172ab_c.jpg

Add lemon zest. Then just chop it real fine and incorporate the other ingredients.
28702048444_abcd60bef2_c.jpg

I got my grated pecorino romano and knob of butter. Excuse my big knob.
28702057724_fa018a4280_c.jpg

When the butter is partially melted add the cheese.
28704073543_e30b44e311_c.jpg

Take off heat and cover for five minutes and then serve.
29325076845_6cb779b82e_c.jpg

Finished Osso Buco
28702965834_04039b65a3_b.jpg

My plate. It's not the best presentation, but holy shit is it tasty. Everyone loved it, but it's definitely more of a cold weather meal.
29326050045_ed17bdfe4b_b.jpg

Thank you and good night.

Inviting some friends over to the crib for dinner tomorrow, so I'm starting the char siu entree tonight.

I do a combo of braise and roast, covering the sides up to the fat, and leaving the fat uncovered for that perfect caramelized top.

Spice rub: Fennel seed, Szechuan peppercorn, coriander [all toasted], sugar and salt.

Braise: Xiaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugarcane vinegar, sugar, grated garlic and grated ginger.

Let her sit at 270 F for three hours, then chill her. I'll show you how pretty she looks when she wakes up.

(That baking dish is barely big enough, the pork belly only just squeezed in haha.)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Made Chef John's from Food Wishes paper roasted pork, and Eastern NC BBQ Sauce.

M71pq14.jpg

It came it amazing, very moist and tender. Think just pretty much collapsed under it's weight.

I'm from NC, never seen anyone put pickles on a BBQ sandwich before. I'll have to try that some time. I think I'd prefer coleslaw on a BBQ sandwich.

zbarron

Inviting some friends over to the crib for dinner tomorrow, so I'm starting the char siu entree tonight.
That looks great. I made some char siu sauce and was planning on smoking some pork with it. I got too lazy and just stir fried the pork and tossed in the sauce. The sauce has such a great flavor. Even my 5 year old ate a ton of it. Looking forward to pictures.

What do you guys think is the best cost efficient food storage set? I want to start meal prepping at home but dont want to get cheap tupperware for it since they tend to fall apart or warp with hot foods :<

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What do you guys think is the best cost efficient food storage set? I want to start meal prepping at home but dont want to get cheap tupperware for it since they tend to fall apart or warp with hot foods :<
Ikea might be your shop of choice again:
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/functional/15922/15937/
There is a set called "Pruta" which is dirt cheap, dishwasher safe, microwaveable and stackable. The Ikea 365 range also offers decent value for money.

zbarron

I don't do a ton of it, but my tools of choice are foodsaver/freezer ziploc bags and ice cube trays. It takes a lot less space than bulky containers. What were you planning on making?

I may do this a lot more with colder months coming up. Summer cooking is best fresh.

I'm from NC, never seen anyone put pickles on a BBQ sandwich before. I'll have to try that some time. I think I'd prefer coleslaw on a BBQ sandwich.

I like both pickles and slaw on a pulled pork sammich.

I used sweet horseradish pickles from a local Amish market. So damn good.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

You work in the food industry! Just ask your boss if you can buy some 8/16/32 oz Placon deli containers next time they're ordering supplies. They're like pennies each.

First off, wait until Black Friday and this stuff is dirt cheap.
The rubbermaid take-along set is usually about $5 for like 8 containers. There's two different set with different sizes in them.
Corningware set is usually about $10 and contains 3 dishes and matching covers for storage.
Ball canning jars with wide mouth. From pint size to half gallon size. In the winter I'll buy bags of oranges for cheap and make my own juice. Shelf life is about two days, but it's gone in 24hrs.
I also use canning jar glasses for my drinks (hot and cold). I can use standard size lids for covering when I take it on the go.
Ziploc bags for portioning meats for the freezer and storing left overs. Fold the locking strip back to keep it clean and easy to seal. It also keeps it from collapsing as you add food. A food saver vacuum sealer is also good if you have the space.

To buy cheap meats, look for sell by dates of today. Stores like Winco and FoodMaxx mark down meats in the morning but the saving % varies. Safeway marks it down by 50% after 5pm, and 30% for sell by date of tomorrow. Even the local butcher shop keeps meat in the back freezer that's marked down. There's usually a grocery store that sell about to expire foods (like a month away) or discontinued items and some own private brands for really cheap. We have a tendency to find really weird stuff there too (like the stuff you can find at World Market).

Liljagare

Now that is what I would call a family heirloom if anything. :)

Zyzyxxz

beautiful!

So my new restaurant is near completion...somewhat. I'm told it will be done by next week? *fingers crossed* Once again I do one of the most illogical things and that is to open a new restaurant again, one of the craziest things you could do.

The main dishe I will be preparing is Singaporean chicken and rice (also known as Hainan chicken or if you're Thai then Khao Man Gai). But I will also be preparing the roast version as well. It's basically blanched in a soy braise, then air dried overnight, then glazed and roasted and finally quickly deep fried to get the skin nice and brown.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8eelcmoi5c0juz/2016-08-30 11.57.11 1.jpg?dl=0

Hopefully this will be a functioning restaurant by next week LOLZ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcdqtmeidetc4hx/IMG_20160830_162418.jpg?dl=0

thespot84

beautiful!

So my new restaurant is near completion...somewhat. I'm told it will be done by next week? *fingers crossed* Once again I do one of the most illogical things and that is to open a new restaurant again, one of the craziest things you could do.

The main dishe I will be preparing is Singaporean chicken and rice (also known as Hainan chicken or if you're Thai then Khao Man Gai). But I will also be preparing the roast version as well. It's basically blanched in a soy braise, then air dried overnight, then glazed and roasted and finally quickly deep fried to get the skin nice and brown.

Links are broken :/

ColdPizza

Banned
beautiful!

Oh my god. Is it possible to make this at home?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beautiful!

Best of success with the venture! I know first hand of the terror that goes by the name of preopening. It'll all work out fine for sure.

I'm taking a fee days off in Sorrento this week. Tomorrow will be Napoli day where I'll try out at least one of the famous pizza places. In tje meantime, have some liquid dinner at the pool, everyone:

Pennywise

Best of success with the venture! I know first hand of the terror that goes by the name of preopening. It'll all work out fine for sure.

I'm taking a fee days off in Sorrento this week. Tomorrow will be Napoli day where I'll try out at least one of the famous pizza places. In tje meantime, have some liquid dinner at the pool, everyone:
Da Michele ?

You're in for the best. Enjoy it and your trip.

You work in the food industry! Just ask your boss if you can buy some 8/16/32 oz Placon deli containers next time they're ordering supplies. They're like pennies each.

I can't just have them if my shop buys them. I wish tho ! :<

As vaguely eco-hippie Luddites we use Anchor Hocking glass containers.

I didn't even think about glass containers. Im gonna look into a good set for bigger prep !

I don't do a ton of it, but my tools of choice are foodsaver/freezer ziploc bags and ice cube trays. It takes a lot less space than bulky containers. What were you planning on making?

I may do this a lot more with colder months coming up. Summer cooking is best fresh.

I want to do some solid meal prep for both me and HD for lunches/breakfast. So primarily, soups, stews, pastas, grains, salads, sandwiches, parfaits and such. We've been eating out a lot lately since I haven't had time to cook but I want to change that around since eating out is expensive. I've only been cooking about 3 times a week and thats not doing enough.

I want some wares that can handle heat and be air tight as much as possible.

beautiful!

You need to tell me where you'll be at so I can come visit ! Can you tell us more about it or is it super secret? :X

zbarron

beautiful!

That's exciting. Keep us posted in what little free time you have.
I want to do some solid meal prep for both me and HD for lunches/breakfast. So primarily, soups, stews, pastas, grains, salads, sandwiches, parfaits and such. We've been eating out a lot lately since I haven't had time to cook but I want to change that around since eating out is expensive. I've only been cooking about 3 times a week and thats not doing enough.
If you ever grab that Anova you've had your eye on you can use it to reheat anything in a bag straight from the freezer. That's what I do. For soups and stews it's just a matter of getting all the prepped ingredients in the bag and then dumping it in like this (but with better recipes/technique.) I see you're going in a different direction though.

Also if you have a big enough freezer 13x9/casserole dishes would work. I just assembled a lasagna and am saving it for a day I don't have the free time to cook. That'll be dinner for 5, a slice for the next day's lunch and a second dinner.

As for salads you could always make Mason Jar Salads.

That's exciting. Keep us posted in what little free time you have.

If you ever grab that Anova you've had your eye on you can use it to reheat anything in a bag straight from the freezer. That's what I do. For soups and stews it's just a matter of getting all the prepped ingredients in the bag and then dumping it in like this (but with better recipes/technique.) I see you're going in a different direction though.

Also if you have a big enough freezer 13x9/casserole dishes would work. I just assembled a lasagna and am saving it for a day I don't have the free time to cook. That'll be dinner for 5, a slice for the next day's lunch and a second dinner.

As for salads you could always make Mason Jar Salads.

I really like that idea using the Anova. I think I'm gonna pick one up on my next paycheck. Any recommendations for a vaccum sealer ? If I get both, I can definitely meal prep a ton and freeze most of it instead of using bunches of tupperware.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Congratulations.

Where is it and what is it called? Somewhere in LA right?

Top Bottom