• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Denali

That slight brownish hue that is developing on the sides/underside of my stainless steel pan... is that inevitable? Barkeepers seemed to help some, but it's not looking as pristine as it was. Granted, I didn't give it quite as good of a scrub as I did the inside.

That slight brownish hue that is developing on the sides/underside of my stainless steel pan... is that inevitable? Barkeepers seemed to help some, but it's not looking as pristine as it was. Granted, I didn't give it quite as good of a scrub as I did the inside.

We've always just left ours there as a sort of badge of cooking honor.

Are you on gas? Mine have it but my aunt's pans haven't developed it. Hers are nearly as old as me but she's always used electric.

The steel on the outside is not the same as the inside.

Denali

Are you on gas? Mine have it but my aunt's pans haven't developed it. Hers are nearly as old as me but she's always used electric.

The steel on the outside is not the same as the inside.

Yeah I'm on gas. It's not the worst look in the world, but due to limited shelf/countertop space I'm planning on getting a pan rack to hang above my island, and I'd like to keep things looking as nice as is reasonably possible.

zbarron

Yeah I'm on gas. It's not the worst look in the world, but due to limited shelf/countertop space I'm planning on getting a pan rack to hang above my island, and I'd like to keep things looking as nice as is reasonably possible.
These are just pictures I found on Google, but I've worked in several restaurants and haven't been in a single kitchen where the pans looked brand new. As BriareosGAF said they're badges of honor. It'll just look like a kitchen that gets used.
111nrk6c.jpg

222yjkxm.jpg

33302k8h.jpg

Try dealing with copper bottom on a hanging rack... That is mission impossible. I have some of the black coated all-clad ltd series and those are hard to keep the black from scratching away. There's a silver ring on the bottom from using them on the stove (Ihave cast iron grates). Granted I bought them used for really cheap at a yard sale.

This is an older picture, but this is what I did above my stove. I added a row of hooks in front for utensils. And I completed my collection of all-clad pots across the top.

zbarron

I just ordered one. I've also been in need of one.
One of these bad boys

31E9C9NCCPL.jpg
I didn't find those heavy enough. I've been using one of these bad boys.

444v7o4e.jpg

It's a bit of a pain in the ass and if I do too many at once it will push down crooked and make one half a lot thinner. Hopefully this one will make perfect consistent patties every time.

Edit:Just received another Amazon package. This is my haul since the cookware set.
28415374023_9e1db321f1_b.jpg

Microplane Zester, Microplane Proffesional Extra Coarse Grater, Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler, HeyLR Stainless Steel Shovel Wok Spatula, Volrath 5-Qt Mixing Bowl, and Ammex GPNB GlovePlus Black Nitrile Glove.

I took these
And made these
Now I want to turn them into a smokey bbq sauce.

I also got 3 qts of canned tomato halves done.
The couple that grows them gave me all the tomatoes for free and two cases of jars to can. She just wants half of the jars and the rest I can keep. I still have a crate full of tomatoes to deal with before they start going bad. So I'm mixing up how I prepare the tomatoes.

Quick hint: if you use a corer/juicer it plugs out the center stem of romas extremely easy. I got one from a forver sharp knife demo inside walmart. Stupid little trinket that I keep finding uses for.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Amazon rang twice today, my first Twinkies:
image_27.jpeg

they taste exactly like a certain store brand bisquit roll from Lidl.

Other arrivals:

Denali

Well, that took a hell of a lot longer to make than I thought it was going to! First time cooking with raw chicken, so I think I was probably being over paranoid with some of the prep.

Cooking went alright. Got the pan nice and hot, added some vegetable oil and threw in the garlic. Then came the chicken, which didn't stick too bad (might have tried moving it a little too soon). I marinated the chicken for about 20 minutes beforehand, and then I just let it cook until it looked right. Took a piece out and cut into it and it seemed done. Dropped the chicken out and threw in the mushrooms and added a little oyster sauce and soy sauce. Covered the mushrooms for a minute or two to let them cook. This is where the pan started to get a nasty residue inside, so I'm not sure if that normal or what I did wrong there. Then I added in the onions, peppers, chicken back in, and finally the broccoli. Turned off the heat and covered it for a couple minutes while I grabbed some plates. When I took the cover off, the "nasty" residue was pretty much all loose at that point (is this similar to deglazing?) and I just mixed it up a bit more.

I didn't really follow a particular recipe, but it tasted pretty good!
I used boil-in-a-bag rice =X

This concludes my diary entry.

Dropped the chicken out and threw in the mushrooms and added a little oyster sauce and soy sauce. Covered the mushrooms for a minute or two to let them cook. This is where the pan started to get a nasty residue inside, so I'm not sure if that normal or what I did wrong there.
Soy-based sauces burn super fast, you want to reserve them until everything else is done cooking. That, or you drown them out in something that doesn't burn like alcohol or stock.

zbarron

Anyone here use a Microplane zester? I think I might have ruined mine. I used it to grate nutmeg and then tried it with cinnamon. I wasn't able to get anything from the cinnamon so I smashed it and then put it in a coffee grinder. After that I tried zesting a lemon and it seemed noticeably duller. When I ran my finger across it the blades seem flush with the body when they once stood up. Anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix it, or if I just ruined it already?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I fear that it's ruined. You could try to bend the flattened blades up again one by one with a toothpick, but I don't know if the effort will be worth the result.

zbarron

I fear that it's ruined. You could try to bend the flattened blades up again one by one with a toothpick, but I don't know if the effort will be worth the result.
Thanks. I bent each one back up using my pocket knife which has a thick strong blade and a cut resistant glove so I could pretend what I was doing wasn't stupidly dangerous. I tested it on another lemon and it's back to working perfectly. I definitely won't be doing cinnamon again, but I hope I can still use it on nutmeg. I have no other tool for it.

Thanks. I bent each one back up using my pocket knife which has a thick strong blade and a cut resistant glove so I could pretend what I was doing wasn't stupidly dangerous. I tested it on another lemon and it's back to working perfectly. I definitely won't be doing cinnamon again, but I hope I can still use it on nutmeg. I have no other tool for it.

I use mine with nutmeg and it doesnt dull it. Just try to do long strokes over fast short ones.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I just made some japanese hamburger-steak with japanese curry.

I made the burger my usual way..a little bit of panko, onions, nutmeg, pepper and salt but instead of milk I added liquid miso.

x1aTDI5h.jpg

OYpJT9Nh.jpg

I've to say the taste was fantastic. I had to use imported liquid miso from marukome, but afaik you can buy it in the US http://www.misoandeasy.com/?page_id=2 without importing.

zbarron

I just made some japanese hamburger-steak with japanese curry.

I made the burger my usual way..a little bit of panko, onions, nutmeg, pepper and salt but instead of milk I added liquid miso.

I've to say the taste was fantastic. I had to use imported liquid miso from marukome, but afaik you can buy it in the US http://www.misoandeasy.com/?page_id=2 without importing.
That looks great. What tool did you use for the carrots?

I made my first layer cake since the Birthday incident of 2015.
28871723920_a25a22761f_b.jpg

It's not perfectly smooth or level but hopefully this one won't be followed by a night of non stop vomiting.

thespot84

I made my first layer cake since the Birthday incident of 2015.
28871723920_a25a22761f_b.jpg

It's not perfectly smooth or level but hopefully this one won't be followed by a night of non stop vomiting.

do you have an offset spatula? That frosting looks perfectly fine, but an offset makes the job easier.

zbarron

do you have an offset spatula? That frosting looks perfectly fine, but an offset makes the job easier.
I have a small one which is what I used. My bigger problem was doing it on a not-flat dinner plate as opposed to a cake stand.

just got a kitchen-aid! what should my first project be? i'm thinking a cake or other baked good of some sort...
I'd go with either Baked Alaska, which you can make both the cake and the meringue in the mixer and/or This Bread Recipe That's what I started with when I got mine last year and felt they were good introductions to what it could do.
Make some choux chantilly. ;)
That's a great idea. If I hadn't just made an entire cake I'd probably give it a shot.

thespot84

I have a small one which is what I used. My bigger problem was doing it on a not-flat dinner plate as opposed to a cake stand.

I'd go with either Baked Alaska, which you can make both the cake and the meringue in the mixer and/or This Bread Recipe That's what I started with when I got mine last year and felt they were good introductions to what it could do.

That's a great idea. If I hadn't just made an entire cake I'd probably give it a shot.

Fuck ya baked alaska

Edit, the inside:

My newest piece of cookware was delivered today;
Cannot wait to make some hashbrowns and pancakes while also using my All-Clad Waffle Iron as well.
That looks cool, but it can't beat a good old cast iron.

just got a kitchen-aid! what should my first project be? i'm thinking a cake or other baked good of some sort...
Either rosemary bread or angelfood cake.

jamiecooksitup.net/2010/03/macaroni-grill-bread

allrecipes.com/recipe/15432/angel-food-cake-iii/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%202

GiJoccin

pate a choux !

is choux chantilly just pate a choux with whipped cream in it?

im leaning towards that!

This Bread Recipe That's what I started with when I got mine last year and felt they were good introductions to what it could do.

i've made lots of bread previously, usually no knead, but some knead from the bread bakers apprentice. i'll definitely be using it for pizza dough soon, and probably some sandwich bread.

i think i'm most excited to try making https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/seven-layer-cookies/, i've made it several times with a hand mixer which can be really tough incorporating the almond paste effectively. excited to see what a high power mixer can do!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Do you mean the pickled ginger in my picture :)?

I had a horrible day..so I ate too much cheese..I made two grilled cheese sandwiches and ate 4 backed Camembert ~_~..but damn I love cheese

pate a choux !

cuisine-recettes-astuces-basique-pate_a_chou.jpg

God I would kill for that. I got a piece of German rahmkuchen though. Not a picture of my cake, but it looks like that
431659-960x720-rahmkuchen-mit-muerbeteig.jpg

le-seb

is choux chantilly just pate a choux with whipped cream in it?
Yep. Pretty easy to make (the only hazard is in getting the pâte à choux a proper consistency) and delicious.

If you feel brave and crave some fruits, you can try to make a gourmand, too:
DSC_0006.JPG

I bought a food mill the other day to smooth out my bbq sauce. This thing is amazing. I even tried it on mashed potatoes and it came out so creamy smooth. I should use it to make potato soup. Mmmmmm.

This was before the milk and butter.

And this is my bbq sauce. I took one quart jar and one pint jar. In the end I got 1qt jar out of it. The rest was pulp and seeds. It's so much better this way and made some awesome ribs last night.

zbarron

I bought a food mill the other day to smooth out my bbq sauce. This thing is amazing. I even tried it on mashed potatoes and it came out so creamy smooth. I should use it to make potato soup. Mmmmmm.

This was before the milk and butter.

And this is my bbq sauce. I took one quart jar and one pint jar. In the end I got 1qt jar out of it. The rest was pulp and seeds. It's so much better this way and made some awesome ribs last night.
Stahp! You're making me want one and I've been buying a ton of kitchen gear lately. I was considering picking one up for baby food.

It's a little bit of effort and the design of it really matters. I went cheap because I'm poor. I did get lucky and it fits perfectly into my 5qt all-clad pot (I think it's 8" around). There's enough depth to the pot for the food and the mill as the mill's grab bar is at the top of the rim rather than the bottom. Most mills have rubber feet to cling to the outer edge of the bowl at the bottom of the pot. My pot handle also lines up with the mill handle so I can hold them together thanks to all-clad's beveled handles. I actually used a small C clamp with a towel to pin them together it gave me a chance to grip it better while turning.

This one has two scrappers that spin around, but I find that they push the food to the side too easily, so I do have to push the food back towards the blades as I get towards the end.

It was easy enough to scrap off the bottom with a spatula to remove the last bits. But I don't know the size comparison of the smallest holes to other brands. I can still feel a little bit of texture in my bbq sauce if I lick it from the spoon, but very minimal. A fine mesh strainer might capture it but that's too much work for me.

I also plan to use it for my boyfriend. He's planning to have the gastric sleeve surgery soonish (in a couple months maybe). Part of his recovery diet is pureed foods for the second week and soft foods for the third week. He's only supposed to eat about 2oz of food at a time and frequently throughout the day. So baby food size jars. I'll make fresh stocks just before the surgery for the first week of clear liquid diet but I want to make ahead and freeze the later weeks so he has food on hand at his disposal.

I'm also really interested in making fresh apple sauce this fall. But for tonight I have a sink full of tomatoes that need to be turned into sauce before they turn into mold.

Top Bottom