• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I felt the same way since the Eurogamer leak

Looks like the hype may not be justified then, eh? Thank god I have almost zero expectations for this thing.

Probably because people on GAF wanted a (powerful) home console?
Because as a portable this sounds very interesting, from sw environment to raw power, not mentioning the various additional gameplay session experiences

AgeEighty

It's not about that, it's about the fact that the audience buying Nintendo platforms is not necessarily the audience for COD, GTA etc and it would take a lot of effort to cultivate that audience. Nintendo is also unable or unwilling to compete with MS/Sony with co-marketting and stuff which makes it harder for them to get a foot in the door. At this point Nintendo would have to give a substantially better deal than the competitors to make it worthwhile.

It's not about power.

I don't agree with this. Nintendo's audience and the audience for third party games are not two completely separate groups. They certainly aren't exactly the same, but there's plenty of overlap. I mean, right here on GAF, look at any OT about a Nintendo game and you'll see most of those same people in threads for other games. Many people who own a Wii U also own a PS4 or an Xbox One. Gamers tend to have wide-ranging interests; just because you like Zelda does not mean you don't like Uncharted or Halo.

The reason why third party games traditionally haven't sold well on Nintendo platforms is because those versions of those games have typically been compromised in some way: graphically, feature-wise, or even with a much later release than on the other platforms. (Arkham City by most accounts looked the best on Wii U, but it came out a year after it did on 360 and PS3, and most people who wanted to play it already had; its moment had passed. Of course it wasn't going to sell.) And just because someone owns a Nintendo console doesn't mean they're always willing to settle for an inferior port.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I dunno what this i just made is, seems stupid!

PEdrylr.png

Seems feasable. I like it best out of all the mock ups I've seen, looks ergonomic. Well done!

Till the reveal I won't believe that the Nx being a hybrid is the only thing about this devise which will set it apart from the competition.
It is nothing special in the end and consumers got similar (but not exactly identical) products before...just because it says Nintendo on it, it won't blow the people away to play their games on the TV. I still hope that there is a little bit more to it...

SuperSah

Banned
"PlayStation Now on New Nintendo 3DS"

lol, sure.

Sounds like someone's wank bank.

Because as a portable this sounds very interesting, from sw environment to raw power, not mentioning the various additional gameplay session experiences

It's Nintendo. They never prioritise power, they prioritise gimmicks. Whoever expected more has walked into their own trap.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh ffs, again the discussion about how third parties will magically decide to invest money into a Nintendo console just because it is powerful.

It's a damn vicious circle.

Most Western 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. Last Nintendo console sold like shit. The excuses for that are irrelevant, we're talking here about financial decision, not gamers wanting things. So no 3rd party will decide to put any serious money behind a port for Nintendo before they get some guarantees (install basis big enough to care, sales no. for smaller titles that they try on it etc.).
The issue is that almost nobody will pay $400 on a console that has no guarantee of getting the most popular multiplats, so Nintendo also needs to do a business decision if they can afford to risk such a bet. And they can't when this is still their main business and they already had a failure on their hand. Again the excuses don't matter when you look at the cold facts in the P&L reports.

So stop dreaming about fantasy Nintendo consoles with fantasy 3rd party support. Everything it's a business and about money in the end.

Edit: Nintendo couldn't even get a decent support from EA for FIFA, which doesn't even need that much powerful hardware.

NO GUISE! YU DON'T GET IT!!

Of course the best business move would be to bring PlayStation Now to 3DS. It would bring millions of new users to Nintendo and you're forgetting that Satoru Iwata's first name starts with an 'S' so of course they'll want to honor his death in the traditional Japanese fashion of partnering with a company that also starts with S.

Can't you people read into anything??

SuperSah

Banned
Hmmmmmm

I've noticed you posting negative throwaway comments throughout the thread now.

You seem to be just trying to get a reaction.

Not at all. I want NX as much as the next man but the stuff we've been hearing hasn't filled me with much confidence. The idea of controllers with a single shoulder button, large console, no dock power etc. etc. doesn't excite me at all.

Sorry dude, I'm entitled to have an opinion as where some people are positive, I am equally entitled to be pessimistic! I'm sure Nintendo will do fine but I just lack confidence in them right now.

You just fell into his trap

Nothing he said was negative. I feel the same way in some respects.

NX is appealing to me simply due to Nintendo's entire development muscle circling the wagons around a single device. Nothing else about the platform has filled me with excitement, though I'm interested in learning more about certain aspects of the device.

Taker666

Frankly I just wanted some of the new innovations they patented to come to fruition.

The force feedback scroll wheels were an insanely good idea,
The built in projector and object detection on a handheld patent they released a few weeks ago, would have been a great new gimmick (certainly from a marketing perspective).

Even the oval handheld with the analogue sticks built into the screen seems more appealing as at least there was some innovation.

So far, we're not really seeing any innovation that improves, alters or enhances gameplay. It's essentially a very standard handheld where the controllers can come off that plugs in to a tv. It has been done before to varying degrees.

Oh come on. Am I not allowed to feel unoptimistic? Or do I have to be excited because everybody else is?

Nah.

There's a negative comment from you every other page with barely any reasoning behind it and without having even seen or heard from Nintendo about the thing.

Better to form a proper view when you've seen the actual device for yourself, heard from people how it feels and seen what the games are like.

People here are mostly speculating, no one is saying 'this is amazing!', because we don't know the full details yet, so hard to see how you can take the completely negative stance here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also the NX concept for me is quite simple and obvious. And it is new even if you try to diminish it to a handheld with TV out. It's not about the hardware per se, it's about what you can do with it: a console on which you can play console games anywhere you want. You can even play with your friend directly out of the box on the screen or on his TV, if you want (not all the options must be appealing for everybody). Or play on your own if that's what you want. Playing Zelda BoW tonight on your TV? You can continue the same game tomorrow morning on the way to school/work. Or in your bed before sleeping.

And you don't need to compromise and play a pixelated mess for playing everywhere.

Nah.

There's a negative comment from you every other page with barely any reasoning behind it and without having even seen or heard from Nintendo about the thing.

It doesn't help your argument to judge people's reactions when, as you point out, Nintendo has shown nothing. If people have the right to speculate positively they should be allowed to speculate negatively.

ASIS

In what way? I see nothing of this on WiiU, XboxOne or PS4.
Kinect failed, PS Move failed, Wiimote failed (in the end). And i like motion controls.
The only console that doesn't have motion controls is Xbox and that's because Kinect didn't fly. Dual Shock 4 has them, Wii U game pad has them, 3DS has them, Vita has them, and all phones have them. So yes it's safe to assume they became standardized. Maybe not in the extreme sense of the Wiimote but it's definitely there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Update: I heard the prototype was around 14mm in thickness. Maybe a tiny bit more than that. Laura Kate Dale heard 25mm from her source. Which is different from what I’ve heard.
Update 2: Second source said thickness of NX prototype is closer to the bottom half of the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Alright, how much is the bottom half of the N3DS XL?

Havik

Dont know if it has been answered yet but are you able to use the touchscreen when the device is connected to the TV? especially when it is sitting in a dock. If not it would require every game to have an alternative control method to each touchscreen command, kinda limits what games you can make.

Sorry, this thread can move fast. Circle Pads rather than sticks were confirmed?

Only in the dev kit, I think. The Wii U dev kit had circle pads too, but they were switched out for release, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Personally I'm a bit more worried about the stunted power claims that seemed to have re-emerged. Somewhere between XBONE and PS4 had me excited, but now there's talks of below XBONE power? Hmm...

ggx2ac

Dont know if it has been answered yet but are you able to use the touchscreen when the device is connected to the TV? especially when it is sitting in a dock. If not it would require every game to have an alternative control method to each touchscreen command, kinda limits what games you can make.

The only thing that makes sense to still use touch screen controls while the NX is docked is if the NX streams data wirelessly to the dock. That way, you don't have to physically place the NX in the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom