• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker666

If they have to bump the retail price to include a better screen, they better use a 720p OLED instead of a 1080p screen that would do more harm than good for the reasons we stated countless times. But they won't, because they need this thing to be cheap.

I agree it needs to be cheap...anything more than $200 and it'll bomb in the handheld market (in its currently revealed form)..but then if it's a hybrid designed to also satisfy the home console Nintendo gamers, then they've got to give them something else to make the screen included have some use to them...

...otherwise they'd be better off just releasing a stand alone box with a more home console friendly controller for $150 without the handheld aspects.

The added value of a hybrid ...isn't added value at all if you're a home console gamer who doesn't want the handheld aspect or a handheld gamer who doesn't want the home console aspect.

Shizuka

I agree it needs to be cheap...anything more than $200 and it'll bomb in the handheld market..but then if it's a hybrid designed to also satisfy the home console Nintendo gamers then they've got to give them something else to please/appeal to them...

...otherwise they'd be better off just releasing a stand alone box with a more home console friendly controller for $150 without the handheld aspects.

The added value of a hybrid ...isn't added value at all if you're a home console gamer who doesn't want the handheld aspect or a handheld gamer who doesn't want the home console aspect.

Like the PlayStation TV?

Hermii

If they have to bump the retail price to include a better screen, they better use a 720p OLED instead of a 1080p screen that would do more harm than good for the reasons we stated countless times. But they won't, because they need this thing to be cheap.

Personally I think 720p is pretty fantastic, if they mandate all games has to run native res. I expected 540p.

Taker666

Like the PlayStation TV?

Well not quite like that..as not all games ran on the Playstation tv and there was already a more powerful alternative home console available...

..but yeah..if the NX hybrid is the only home console we're getting..you might as well take the guts out of the NX, slap it in a box bundled with a more ergonomic controller for the home console market..and sell it for 50-$100 less than this hybrid will cost.

jdstorm

Banned
That's why I wish they'd push the screen to 1080p.

If they could make it high res enough for basic VR...the screen could go in a headset and you'd have controllers for it as well. I could really see the point in the split off controllers if their intent was to have a budget VR solution.

Bumping the retail price by $50 to include a decent 1080p screen and a basic VR headset seems worth it IMO..as you're covering all bases then.

The setup is modular: dock, tablet, controllers.

Everybody has been talking about how the dock could be replaced later on, to give you a more powerful experience in front of the TV. But they could just as easily (in fact, more easily) provide an upgrade for the tablet (or release it as a second SKU down the road) to make it VR proof. I'm not saying they will, but it's possible. Maybe they'll wait 18 months longer, ensure they can get a more powerful GPU inside the tablet and at least 2K screens.

No. Definitely no.

Out of curiosity, what framerate would this headset run at?

Maybe they can make an alternate model with 1080p and VR, but I don't want the regular NX to be pricey because of VR and 1080p (which isn't really necessary for a handheld).

10fps, and the screen will only display red.

In line with recent Nintendo naming conventions, it would be called the Nintendo Miigraine.

Even the vast majority of the gamer consumer base would barely be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 6-inch screen, especially Nintendo's market.

This is what i said a few posts back:

He's talking about VR though, when the screen would be close to your face.

60fps ala Gear VR..or maybe they could fake it to 120fps ala PSVR. We'd be talking Gamecube quality games in VR at best (if not slightly lower).

But who'd want that? VR is supposed to be immersive and realistic. Going back to low poly, low res textures etc, would be kind of pointless for people wanting VR, no?

Well I don't want the regular NX to be pricier because of the handheld/mobile elements I don't really want... when the guts could just be shoved in a small black box and connected straight to a tv for far less..

..but as I'll be forced to buy those aspects if I want to play the games on the tv...then I'd rather pay an extra $50 and at least get VR as well (as then at least I'd have a use for the screen).

It doesn't have to be realistic. Many Gamecube/Wii games in 1080p look pretty damn good in.

Give me Endless Ocean/F-Zero GX/Mario Kart in 1080p with GC/Wii graphics and VR and I'd be pretty happy with that.

If you believe the Brazilian NX Leak then this is extremely likely.

The rumour indicated the NX's Pricing. 50 dollars per controller and then a 100USD screen option and a 200USD Screen option. That extra cost is probably enough for something VR capable. Maybe even a 4K OLED screen at 6.2 inches.

Edit Deal 1 NX Basic $200 NX Premium $300

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze would seem to be the Minimum graphical benchmark that the NX could run VR at since its 1080p 60FPS on the Wii U, and the NX is supposed to be 2x Wii U. I'd say most people would accept that as a nice minimum level

MuchoMalo

Banned
I hope that the VR fad dies quickly enough that I can laugh at everyone treating it like the second coming of Jesus and the most important gaming revolution since its inception.

Oersted

Gotta be honest, this is pretty much what I want. I mostly play on Nintendos mobile consoles because it is much more convenient, but I hated missing out playing on the big screen.

Now I get both. I welcome it.

TLZ

Banned
I hope that the VR fad dies quickly enough that I can laugh at everyone treating it like the second coming of Jesus and the most important gaming revolution since its inception.

giphy.gif

Scrawnton

It definitely is not dying.

I'll be 100% honest. I don't care enough to really research this, but just casually looking at gaming and tech sights before VR launched everyone had the biggest hype for it and after it came out it seemed like a collective "ehhhhhh cool but where's the actual software." And now here we are and there's barely any chatter about how revolutionary it's still gonna be.

I'll keep on telling the truth here. People trashed Wii for its mini game collection fests and so far VR is just that. Until companies take it seriously and invest heavily into real experiences, it's going to continue to stay mostly irrelevant.

maxcriden

Aha about western 3rd parties in particular:

Seeing people's negative reactions to an NX dev-kit is nothing. I can't wait to see reactions when NX's major third party support comes from mobile game developers.

Well, them, and indies and Japanese third parties.

I'll be 100% honest. I don't care enough to really research this, but just casually looking at gaming and tech sights before VR launched everyone had the biggest hype for it and after it came out it seemed like a collective "ehhhhhh cool but where's the actual software." And now here we are and there's barely any chatter about how revolutionary it's still gonna be.

Didn't even know it was out lol.

MuchoMalo

Banned

If NX doesn't have VR: "Why doesn't NX have VR? It's the most important thing ever! Nintendo is so out of touch!"

If NX has VR: "Why do so many NX games look like high-res Vita games?!"

I also want everyone to shut up about it. If only Nintendo had done it first; then it would have been written off as a dumb gimmick ages ago. :p

Edit: I don't want VR itself to die, but I want people to stop overemphasizing the importance of it so long before it's truly mainstream-ready.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I'll keep on telling the truth here. People trashed Wii for its mini game collection fests and so far VR is just that. Until companies take it seriously and invest heavily into real experiences, it's going to continue to stay mostly irrelevant.

Trust me it isn't. Pretty much every developer in the us is working on VR projects either officially or at least experimenting. Once you get your hands on a Vive, it's easy to see why. Just look around at game developer or fx job postings, it everywhere.

Also replace "VR" with "HD" and you see why we keep bringing it up. Nintendo is making the same mistake they made with HD and online.

KAL2006

Banned
Well not quite like that..as not all games ran on the Playstation tv and there was already a more powerful alternative home console available...

..but yeah..if the NX hybrid is the only home console we're getting..you might as well take the guts out of the NX, slap it in a box bundled with a more ergonomic controller for the home console market..and sell it for 50-$100 less than this hybrid will cost.

They will probably likely do this but at the moment they want a gimmick and the hybrid will be the only option.

I expect

March 2017 - NX Hybrid Tablet (detachable contoller and dock) - $250

Fall 2018 - NX Console with Pro Controller - $150
Fall 2018 - NX handheld (smaller screen not detachable controls) - $180

Scrawnton

Trust me it isn't. Pretty much every developer in the us is working on VR projects either officially or at least experimenting. Once you get your hands on a Vive, it's easy to see why. Just look around at game developer or fx job postings, it everywhere.

I'm happy for you then that you'll have VR content. I personally hope Nintendo stays away from it. I didn't even want Sony going down that road because their first party output is obviously being hurt by it.

The whole point of NX is to unify Nintendo systems and give us more software. Introducing VR just creates that software issue again because then their dev teams are split between VR content and traditional gaming content.

Taker666

I certainly don't think it's the second coming...but as someone who no longer plays handhelds..

...if I'm going to have to buy the handheld aspect of NX just so I can play the games on the tv... I'd rather at least be able to use the screen for VR and see some value in it...

...rather than essentially having the cost of my home console boosted by $50+ so it can have a bit of shiny glass on one side.

Scrawnton

I certainly don't think it's the second coming...but as someone who no longer plays handhelds..

...if I'm going to have to buy the handheld aspect of NX just so I can pay the games on the tv... I'd rather at least be able to use the screen for VR and see some value in it...

...rather than essentially having the cost of my home console boosted by $50+ so it can have a bit of shiny glass on one side.

I know a lot of people don't play handheld gaming, but that's seriously where Nintendo puts their best content.

MuchoMalo

Banned
They will probably likely do this but at the moment they want a gimmick and the hybrid will be the only option.

I expect

Your smaller screen handheld would probably need to wait a little linger than that since it needs a smaller node.

...if I'm going to have to buy the handheld aspect of NX just so I can play the games on the tv... I'd rather at least be able to use the screen for VR and see some value in it...

But why don't you play handhelds anymore?

Good on Nintendo to keep the NX reveal until after the Sony/Apple showdown next week. At this point it doesn't seem like there's a big hurry, which I'm fine with,

MuchoMalo

Banned
Isn't fall 2018 nearly 2 years after not enough?

It might be, though the 7nm node might still be a bit saturated by then and will likely need at last another 6 months on top of that for the yields to be enough for a relatively low-volume customer like Nintendo to get a good piece of production.

BruceCLea

Banned

I expect

The fuck?

wazoo

Nice thing with a 720p screen.

Most WiiU games could be ported and get a 1:1 port in terms of resolution on that screen with no upscaling.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The fuck?

I do think that Nintendo releasing a Vita TV version of NX is possible as a cheaper alternative for families. After all, their definition of a home console seems to be "a box that connects to a TV and has multiplayer."

I find it rude to play handhelds if I'm out with family/friends, I don't travel any great distances/don't need to commute...and at home I'd sooner play on my big screen tv. I'd use the handheld aspect for browsing the internet at most.

Seems weird to give up on an entire library of games because you can't play them o a TV, but that's just me.

Taker666

Your smaller screen handheld would probably need to wait a little linger than that since it needs a smaller node.

But why don't you play handhelds anymore?

I find it rude to play handhelds if I'm out with family/friends, I don't travel any great distances/don't need to commute...and at home I'd sooner play on my big screen tv. I'd use the handheld aspect for browsing the internet at most (and that's unlikely as I have other devices for that).

I have a 3DS but couldn't say the last time I played it ..if not for the glasses free 3D gimmick I doubt I'd have bothered buying that.

Wow there was quite a lot of doom and gloom overnight.

People are acting like there will be nothing more to the NX than what the rumors have reported, but there's almost no way that's the case.

For starters, it will be playing BotW, so it will need to have all of the inputs that game has on the Wii U for both handheld mode and attached mode. This means shoulder buttons, triggers, and clickable sticks/circle pads will very likely be needed*, and none of those features have been described by leaks or rumors yet.

The other thing is the dock, which was included with the devkit apparently, and was therefore mentioned in the EG article along with the NX. What possible reason could Nintendo have to include the dock with the devkit if the NX handheld has a TV out anyway? There would be no need to use the dock when developing software as long as the NX handheld has all of the necessary connectors. The only reason I can think of is that the NX handheld devkit does not have the necessary PC connectors or USB ports, and the devkit must be connected to the dock at all times allowing it to connect to a PC, but in this case it seems exactly like the DS or 3DS devkit, and therefore what makes EG or any of the other leakers or their sources think this is supposed to be a hybrid?

We're clearly missing quite a lot about this, so before everyone writes it off and assumes we know everything, just remember that there is no way the leaks have covered everything.

*I understand that motion/touch inputs can simulate controls, but that can be done with the Wii U too, and that version apparently does not allow this, so why would the NX version require motion or touch inputs to simulate physical buttons?

spekkeh

Banned
Eh...I feel like the VR crowd blew it by revealing it too early, being too expensive, etc.

Yeah this is kind of my take too. VR so far has both been my most exciting and disappointing new tech this year. Best games to me are still Keep Talking and Land's End, which you can play on measly cardboard and came out last year. My Vive is kind of collecting dust. We'll see what next year brings, but I don't feel Nintendo need to jump on this bandwagon (though it would be welcomed no doubt).

Taker666

I do think that Nintendo releasing a Vita TV version of NX is possible as a cheaper alternative for families. After all, their definition of a home console seems to be "a box that connects to a TV and has multiplayer."

Seems weird to give up on an entire library of games because you can't play them o a TV, but that's just me.

In all honestly, there has been little released on the 3DS that appeals to me the last couple years. Majora's Mask and a Link Between World's are the last games that I purchased. ..nothing else grabbed my attention (not that Wii U was much better).

Mithos

I imagine the main reason is they don't want you to have to buy another controller when it is docked.

Well now when measurements is not accurate again maybe, but of all the variants on the picture above the only comfortable one seems to be the Wii/Wii U versions.

There is no way the *innovation gimmick* is just a HYBRID!

There is lots missing that will come out on full reveal! Full AR which will be very advanced.

In time I am sure Nintendo will go with VR *if* it really is going to take off.

I feel the pads will be very highly sensitive and once again show how Nintendo leads in innovation!

There are really many possibilities:
8h89yujx.jpg

Starting to wonder just how many people realised my mockups were trying to highlight how stupid this thing sounds. Even when the controls are attached to the screen, the underside of your palm will be pushing the bottom analog stick all the time! They're probably too small for any pointing as well, unless u hold it with the tips of your fingers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After seeing the 3ds Direct I'm a bit perplexed. I hope there is still a real Pikmin game for NX, and that wasn't the Pikmin Miyamoto was talking about.

And I hope Nintendo finds some better inspiration for NX, because seeing how they just make two of the same game for Wii U and 3ds surely is not confidence inducing.

ZOONAMI

This really seems like just a handheld. If there isn't a home console that's sad. I kind of have a feeling Nintendo just considered the home console space dead for them right now. Maybe they will try to launch something near (most likely after) the Scorpio release. They probably were considering doing a home console, but then reconsidered given it would basically be a mid gen release, so they'd be behind the curve in 1-2 years once again. Basically the Wii u all over again time wise.

I'm sure it will be an awesome handheld though.

After seeing the 3ds Direct I'm a bit perplexed. I hope there is still a real Pikmin game for NX, and that wasn't the Pikmin Miyamoto was talking about.

And I hope Nintendo finds some better inspiration for NX, because seeing how they just make two of the same game for Wii U and 3ds surely is not confidence inducing.

It is a bit confusing, but you can sorta see the logic in porting games from the Wii U to 3DS to establish the fact that handhelds can play any type of game. Or maybe to give some development teams practice in creating handheld games?

Also the Mario Sports game looked like a high resolution game downgraded significantly for the 3DS, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that on NX at launch, seeing as how it has a Spring release date as of now.

LordOfChaos

The setup is modular: dock, tablet, controllers.

Everybody has been talking about how the dock could be replaced later on, to give you a more powerful experience in front of the TV. But they could just as easily (in fact, more easily) provide an upgrade for the tablet (or release it as a second SKU down the road) to make it VR proof. I'm not saying they will, but it's possible. Maybe they'll wait 18 months longer, ensure they can get a more powerful GPU inside the tablet and at least 2K screens.

From the recent NX diagram we were given though, it would need some sort of high bandwidth low latency data interface (such as TB3, though even that is a fraction of PCI-E bandwidth) to the dock for the active power adding dock dream to live. HDMI passthrough and USB don't cut it.

Granted it's a dev kit, so I'm not sure if a future upgradeable dock port would have to be included in it by now.

maxcriden

I thought this leak was proven fake?

Just the dimensions. I don't think anything else was debunked.

So is the September event still expected to happen?

To me personally, yes. But I don't know where others stand on that.

After that Direct with all the 2017 3DS announcements I'll be fucking damned if NX is launching in March.

Well, I mean, I don't want you to be damned. I do think March is still the release month, though. Nintendo has always released some HH games after launch of the next system and as others have said they wouldn't just immediately drop support for the system with the greater install base of the two between their HH and console.

Tregard

Soothsayer
That mock-up is great, it just needs a way that it doesn't look like an oblong when you put it together. Maybe some plastic insert to put between them to make it a bit more comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom