• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami - Cel shaded indie Tenchu, control the shadows on PC/PS4, releasing Oct 4th

Rajang

Beautiful recap as always :)

Yes, the game is coming out on retail too. PC + PS4 physical edition. It's already on Amazon UK, Spain and others! Should be up at amazon.com soon. There's some other physical goodies coming soon, but it's not up to me to announce that yet.

The game is currently at Sony's QA. It's our first time passing certification, so it might take a while, but I'm confident that it should be over by mid-August, and the game should be 'greenlit' for release mid-September. Not confirmed as we still need to pass QA, but that's what we are aiming for.

We will be sharing some new footage and previews through August, but what I can tell you is that the game is around 8 hours long + has online coop multiplayer + live orchestra for OST + we are working on new (free) game modes/features after release. If you are a fan of Tenchu 2 on ps1 you'll really enjoy some of those features..

T5S26pV.png

Yooo...

Bulbasaur

Banned
I'll be there day one.

My only concern is that enemy AI is identical to Tenchu. I've been playing the series since the start and I can almost do the whole grid thing with my eyes closed at this point.

Beautiful recap as always :)

Yes, the game is coming out on retail too. PC + PS4 physical edition. It's already on Amazon UK, Spain and others! Should be up at amazon.com soon. There's some other physical goodies coming soon, but it's not up to me to announce that yet.

The game is currently at Sony's QA. It's our first time passing certification, so it might take a while, but I'm confident that it should be over by mid-August, and the game should be 'greenlit' for release mid-September. Not confirmed as we still need to pass QA, but that's what we are aiming for.

We will be sharing some new footage and previews through August, but what I can tell you is that the game is around 8 hours long + has online coop multiplayer + live orchestra for OST + we are working on new (free) game modes/features after release. If you are a fan of Tenchu 2 on ps1 you'll really enjoy some of those features..

T5S26pV.png

This sounds really exciting. Well done on sticking the development out after the KS failed, and it seems like you guys have really bounced back firing on all cylinders.

Congratulations on getting the game out there. Something I followed from the Kicktarter and it is great to see you get it off the ground even without the successful campaign.

I will have to wait this one out as an Xbox One owner, but I will certainly follow the game still. Hopefully it brings success to the devs and the team.

S1kkZ

Unity, and I would guess 60fps on PS4 since it's not particularly technically demanding from a graphical perspective.

like oneself said: unity :(

i know that newest unity update improved the performance on ps4, i hope arigami makes use of that. i just hope there is an option to lock the framerate to 30 fps without stuttering and tearing.

anyway, i look forward to the game.

When we started development we aimed for all platforms.. didn't want to close any door. The thing is, releasing for any platform requires a huge effort. Passing QA, technical issues, certification etc require time and money. Sony also reached to us to help with development, giving technical support etc, so it made sense to focus on PC + PS4 first, and then we'll see if we aim to any other platforms in the future.
Oh I see, thanks for the reply.

Really happy on how this is turning out to be and even being able to do retail and with a collection edition to boot!

Can't wait to play it!

Dude... Unity.

Yes, using Unity 5.4 right now. On PS4 there's been performance improvements, as there's a technology named IL2CPP that converts game code from C# to C++, and the increase in FPS is noticeable.

In any case, the game works at 1080p/30FPS on PS4. There's a lot real time shadows going on and lots of AI and character physics stuff going on in the background. Using big levels doesn't help either.. haha

Currently working on increasing performance on PS4, and will continue to do so post-launch if there's any complaints about performance.

Yes, using Unity 5.4 right now. On PS4 there's been performance improvements, as there's a technology named IL2CPP that converts game code from C# to C++, and the increase in FPS is noticeable.

In any case, the game works at 1080p/30FPS on PS4. There's a lot real time shadows going on and lots of AI and character physics stuff going on in the background. Using big levels doesn't help either.. haha

Currently working on increasing performance on PS4, and will continue to do so post-launch if there's any complaints about performance.

oh btw is that collectors edition coming to the us?

would be cool to include a steelbook as well

i'm keeping an eye on lincework twitter for any info that comes

oh btw is that collectors edition coming to the us?

would be cool to include a steelbook as well

i'm keeping an eye on lincework twitter for any info that comes

As far as I know, MergeGames will be selling the collector's edition globally, but they still need to share the details publicly.

As far as I know, MergeGames will be selling the collector's edition globally, but they still need to share the details publicly.

well the collectors edition is up on us amazon (pre ordered btw :) )

no image up though

coming october 11th

wish it coulda it september though

SaberEdge

Everything is looking impressive! Thanks for throwing this onto my radar.
I am deeply saddened that Tenchu seems to have died, I honestly thought the series still had lots more it could've done. Will be sure to pick this up once its out.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the Tenchu games and I'm still hoping From Software will revive it. The series still has a lot of fans after all these years and I think a game like that would be well received in today's gaming climate. Especially if it has that hardcore flavor that From Software have become known for.

Anyway, Aragami/Twin Souls has been on my radar for about a year and a half I think. It looks really good and I'm looking forward to it. Some of the gameplay does make it seem like it might be too easy, which is a bit of a concern, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. It shows a lot of promise.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the Tenchu games and I'm still hoping From Software will revive it. The series still has a lot of fans after all these years and I think a game like that would be well received in today's gaming climate. Especially if it has that hardcore flavor that From Software have become known for.

Anyway, Aragami/Twin Souls has been on my radar for about a year and a half I think. It looks really good and I'm looking forward to it. Some of the gameplay does make it seem like it might be too easy, which is a bit of a concern, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. It shows a lot of promise.

i don't think a dark souls esque approach would suit the tenchu franchise, though i have wanted an open world tenchu

Nice, went ahead and preordered the CE. :)

your welcome :)

SaberEdge

i don't think a dark souls esque approach would suit the tenchu franchise, though i have wanted an open world tenchu

I don't see why not. To be clear, I'm not saying I want Tenchu to become an action/combat oriented game. I simply think that it's possible to apply the same "challenging but rewarding" design philosophy to Tenchu's brand of stealth gameplay. I also think From Software's skill with enemy designs, atmosphere and level design would be good matches for the Tenchu series.

I don't see why not. To be clear, I'm not saying I want Tenchu to become an action/combat oriented game. I simply think that it's possible to apply the same "challenging but rewarding" design philosophy to Tenchu's brand of stealth gameplay. I also think From Software's skill with enemy designs, atmosphere and level design would be good matches for the Tenchu series.

oh ok well when u put it that way i understand but if i recall correctly the challenge in tenchu was to complete each level without being seen and the reward a master ninja rating and special items. how else could they add to it?

also to david, is aragami gonna take this approach as well or if not was that something you considered during development?

I loved Tenchu (which is not the same as saying I was good at Tenchu, LOL)!

Collectors Edition ordered!

Did I order the wrong thing? Is the CE really only $30?

Wozman23

Hadn't poked my head in here in a while.

Glad this is getting a physical release. I will definitely scoop up a CE. I can't resist an art book.

Progress since Path of Shadows is impressive, but I still have a soft spot for the simplicity of the original cape. Granted, it'd be tough to go HUD-less with it, so I understand the evolution.

I loved Tenchu (which is not the same as saying I was good at Tenchu, LOL)!

Collectors Edition ordered!

Did I order the wrong thing? Is the CE really only $30?

It should be, although I'd wait until they give out the details about CE. Each distributor may have different contents in the CE, and I don't know the US collector's ed. contents yet.

gabbo

Really enjoyable from what time I've been able to put into the beta.
Wish there was a way to remap keys, but aside from that, really fun. I feel like a free-run/time trial mode would be excellent after release.

Really enjoyable from what time I've been able to put into the beta.
Wish there was a way to remap keys, but aside from that, really fun. I feel like a free-run/time trial mode would be excellent after release.

Hey Gabbo! Really glad you had a good experience so far.

I want to add the 'remap keys' option in the following weeks, but currently I'm focused on bug fixes and bureaucracy stuff :p

What do you mean when talking about free-run/time trial? The Score Screen already lets you know the time it took to complete the level.

This one is nice thanks, though the one on the CE looks more finished.

The one used in the CE will be the design I shared, as the one shown in social media had an old Aragami design and the contrasts where too plain / dark to print it properly.

If you still want the old version, here it is:

gabbo

Hey Gabbo! Really glad you had a good experience so far.

I want to add the 'remap keys' option in the following weeks, but currently I'm focused on bug fixes and bureaucracy stuff :p

What do you mean when talking about free-run/time trial? The Score Screen already lets you know the time it took to complete the level.

Not in time for release, but I meant something like Mirror's Edge Time Trial mode where you try to, in this case, shadow-jump around a course/town/city/whatever, no other goal than get from point A to point B as fast as you can. The game mechanics just scream for it, in my opinion.

Mind you, so far, none of the levels really have the right layout for it, but I'm only 4 chapters in.

Sanctuary

I've been waiting for what seems like forever for an update on Tenchu and Tenchu 2. My hopes were enormous that the first Assassin's Creed would be somewhat similar to them, but on a grander scope. AC plays absolutely nothing like them.

I hope this game isn't anywhere near as hand-holdy and "X to win" either. There needs to be a risk involvement in these types of games, or they aren't worth bothering with.

Top Bottom