• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

zbarron

I really like that idea using the Anova. I think I'm gonna pick one up on my next paycheck. Any recommendations for a vaccum sealer ? If I get both, I can definitely meal prep a ton and freeze most of it instead of using bunches of tupperware.
We have This FoodSaver. It works really well. We never really use the attachment so I'd imagine this cheaper model would work just as well. Before we had access to that we used a Ziploc manual pump, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. You could use this handheld sealer but the bags are more expensive.

There's also other brands but I haven't done the research or used them personally so I can't give a recommendation.

Speaking of saving food for later, does anyone else do this?
29368994945_41c8459bd8_b.jpg

I freeze my wine in ice cube trays so it doesn't go bad and just add cubes right to the dish.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Da Michele ?

You're in for the best. Enjoy it and your trip.
Scheduled, but most probably won't be able to do them all without the wife filing for divorce, are:
Sfogliatelle Attanasio
Antica Pizzeria Da Michele
Di Matteo
Sorbillo

Bear with me.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I can't just have them if my shop buys them. I wish tho ! :<

I didn't even think about glass containers. Im gonna look into a good set for bigger prep !

I want to do some solid meal prep for both me and HD for lunches/breakfast. So primarily, soups, stews, pastas, grains, salads, sandwiches, parfaits and such. We've been eating out a lot lately since I haven't had time to cook but I want to change that around since eating out is expensive. I've only been cooking about 3 times a week and thats not doing enough.

I want some wares that can handle heat and be air tight as much as possible.

I backed this on kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prepd/prepd-pack/description
Haven't received it yet, but looks promising.

fixed, best I could do I direct links

That's super cool, best of luck!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Soooo, some impressions from the italian trip.
Hotel Food was utilitarian, but with a great view:

that's the Vesuvio in the background.

due to the temperatures, a few meals were liquid:

image_21.jpeg

In Naples, the day started by recommendation of fellow GAFfer Copons (big thank you for the links and recommdations! :)) at Attanasio with a Sofgliatella riccia directo from the oven:

Now, pizza time. Naples is known as the birthplace of the Pizza Margherita, and I wanted to try at least one of the "flagship" Pizzerias: Sorbillo, Di Matteo or Da Michele.

Sorbillo were unfortunately closed for the holidays:

Da Michele had "a bit of queueing" going on, which is completely normal but by all means of curiosity I wasn't willing to partake in:

So Di Matteo was the place to be! :)
Classic "hole in the wall" Pizzeria of which I have encountered several in the last two decades while jobbing further up north in Italy,

image_22.jpeg

but WHAT a great pizza!

Honestly among the greatest pizzas I had in my life so far. Thin, savory, tasty, crunchy and chewy at the same time. wonderful.

But the price was a bit of a shock. I knew, it was a famous pizzeria in the Center of Naples and I brought a good chunk of cash with me, but the bill took me by cold surprise:
that's for two persons with drinks, remember.
Love it and will come back some day to try the other two out as well. :)

A couple days late, we had another Margherita in Sorrento which was similarily priced, but 'only' from the "very good Pizza" tier:

as for pastry, the region is known for their sweet tooth...

And the stark contrast that is the airline "lunch" at the trip back:

enjoy! Thanks for reading.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's a strange feeling to comfortably decline two job offers - one for Bon Appetit and the other as head pastry chef for a pair of popular Seattle restaurants - in a matter of weeks when I'm not even looking for a job. Neither could/would compensate well enough to leave my current position, which sucks because it shows how shit the pay is in the industry &#128514;&#128546;

Endgegner

Great Pics Onkel! I want to go on a food trip to Italy next year myself..

Did you ever eat at 485 Grad in Cologne or Düsseldorf? I believe they have the same oven as the one at Di Matteo and they also serve authentic Napoli style pizza.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great Pics Onkel! I want to go on a food trip to Italy next year myself..

Did you ever eat at 485 Grad in Cologne or Düsseldorf? I believe they have the same oven as the one at Di Matteo and they also serve authentic Napoli style pizza.
not yet. I have a pizzeria with a pizzaiolo from Naples and a wood fired oven 2 minutes from my humble suburbian flat, though :)

ColdPizza

Banned
I have no idea how many US dollars that pizza was. Any guess?

Oh is that euro? That seems like a cheap lunch to me
as an American.

$13.89 for 2 pies?

le-seb

Oh is that euro? That seems like a cheap lunch to me
as an American.
And you don't even have to tip ! ;)
But I think I would.

It's dirt cheap, even as a European. I guess I'd have to spend 8 € for such a pizza in my city.
That being said, pizzas are some of the cheapest meals to make, so the price seems right.

I shaved some butter

MENv1GW.jpg

thought id make a banana cream pie tomorrow for the first time ever so i worked this shaved butter into some flour with a tiny bit of water and put it in the fridge for tomorrow, it was so fun playing with the flour with the butter in it, its like the softest sand :)

ColdPizza

Banned
And you don't even have to tip ! ;)
But I think I would.

It's dirt cheap, even as a European. I guess I'd have to spend 8 € for such a pizza in my city.
That being said, pizzas are some of the cheapest meals to make, so the price seems right.

If you're ever in Buffalo,NY remind me to take you to a wood fired pizza place that won't measure up to Naples pizza and will cost $19 American.

I made some more Ramsey style scrambled eggs this morning. It was so good. I made 8 eggs, so I used my only nonstick pan and lathered it in butter. So much cleaner than my stainless steel pans.

This is only half of what I made.

Here it is folks. The most expensive chevre ever made.

Hanging to drain:

The final product:

Cost to purchase goats, build their shelfter, fence it, feed them for two years, vets visits, studding fee to birth kid, etc., etc. all amortized into a single 2.5C batch of chevre.

Tasted pretty good, slightly more tang than I'm used to, and a smidge grainy. We'll be adjusting cultures and sitting time to dial it in.

I just came back from vacation from Disney World. I know when people hear Disney they don't expect high quality food, but damn I ate some tasty things.

29572918286_63a9343ca8_b.jpg

Smokey Portabello Bisque with Chive Oil and Crispy Shitakes.

29608660455_76795a4a46_b.jpg

Rotisserie Chicken Flatbread with Mico CIlantro and a Spciy Crema

29608669605_ef8b3d9c03_b.jpg

Slow Roasted Pork Belly with Creamy Polenta, Peas and Carrots with a Port Wine and Balsamic Reduction

29527999061_a67cdc77e7_b.jpg

Crispy Rock Shrimp Salad with Spicy Greens, Subarashii Pears, Soy Reduction, and Wasabi Cream

29527995421_44895a1bf9_b.jpg

Artisan Romaine Salad with Creamy Garlic Peppercorn Dressing, Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes, Foccacia Croutons, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Nikodemos

I made a thread about it, but I'll post it here since there's a lot of food-knowledgeable folks.

Multicooker or electric pressure kettle?

I have to choose between a Philips HD3167/70 (standard multicooker) and a Gorenje MCB6BAEU (programmable pressure cooker). I can get the Philips for cheaper (and it has more programmes), but I like pressure cooking for its convenience and speed.

I know FunkyPapa was quite happy about his multicooker, but I'd like an opinion about the electric pressure vessel as well.

zbarron

I made a thread about it, but I'll post it here since there's a lot of food-knowledgeable folks.

Multicooker or electric pressure kettle?

I have to choose between a Philips HD3167/70 (standard multicooker) and a Gorenje MCB6BAEU (programmable pressure cooker). I can get the Philips for cheaper (and it has more programmes), but I like pressure cooking for its convenience and speed.

I know FunkyPapa was quite happy about his multicooker, but I'd like an opinion about the electric pressure vessel as well.
I'd say it depends on what you plan to use it for most. What did you plan to cook in them?

Nikodemos

I'd say it depends on what you plan to use it for most. What did you plan to cook in them?
Well, anything and everything I can. The Gorenje pressure cooker has 9 programmes whereas the Philips multicooker has 14, however the Gorenje has a 6-liter capacity to the Philips's 5.
I really like the "buy cheap tough cut of meat, toss in pressure cooker, get awesome food quickly" part, but the Philips has more programmes and it's on sale (for now).

zbarron

Well, anything and everything I can. The Gorenje pressure cooker has 9 programmes whereas the Philips multicooker has 14, however the Gorenje has a 6-liter capacity to the Philips's 5.
I really like the "buy cheap tough cut of meat, toss in pressure cooker, get awesome food quickly" part, but the Philips has more programmes and it's on sale (for now).

Of those two I'd probably go with the Gorenje because the pressure cooking function is really nice for both flavor and saving time.

You might find this article helpful. This site also recommends the Instant Pot and Fast Slow Pro.

Why are you settled on those two models?

Machine

I have an Instant Pot and it's pretty fantastic. It can pressure cook, slow cook, and even make yogurt. It also does a nice job with rice which allowed me to stow the rice cooker in the basement. The fact that it has a stainless steel pot is nice too. A lot of the others have pots with non-stick coating which will inevitably start flaking off at some point.

Nordicus

Just made some tortilla casserole since the grocery store had a discount on jalapeno&cayenne pepper chicken. Usually I use minced pork/beef but since any meat will do really, why the fuck not? As long as the result is spicy

Emmental heaven

So the last two times that I've tried to make baked beans from dried beans have flopped on me. The beans refuse to cook and are still hard after hours of boiling them. The first time I made them, following the same recipe, the beans turned out wonderful, but I've never been able to replicate it.

I'm jumping to the conclusion that my beans just may not be fresh. I usually use navy or white beans, and I buy the prepackaged ones for easy measuring. What's the best store to get bulk dried beans that are going to be fresh? And any other ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I am presoaking the beans overnight (at least 16-18hrs), and one time I soaked for two days because my bbq got delayed a day. I'm in California, there's a Winco, FoodMaxx, Sprouts, Smart & Final, Safeway, Cost Less, and a few Mexican chains.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
If I remember correctly, the dried beans must be soaked overnight and then cooked separately from the tomato sauce.

Nikodemos

I remember everybody telling me to boil dried pulses (beans, lentils, fava, chickpeas) in plain water, nothing else addded, lest risk them never softening.

After letting them soak overnight, i just throw them into a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes. Gets the job done regardless of bean type.

Nikodemos

After letting them soak overnight, i just throw them into a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes. Gets the job done regardless of bean type.
I think that's a bit too long for lentils. They definitely don't need to be pressure cooked for as long as denser pulses, like chickpeas or lupins.

Machine

If I remember correctly, the dried beans must be soaked overnight and then cooked separately from the tomato sauce.

Acidic foods like tomatoes supposedly can harden the skin of the bean so it won't get soft. I think that's why they often recommend adding tomatoes after the beans are fully cooked.

thespot84

Buy canned beans instead: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/taste_tests/1517-canned-white-beans

So the last two times that I've tried to make baked beans from dried beans have flopped on me. The beans refuse to cook and are still hard after hours of boiling them. The first time I made them, following the same recipe, the beans turned out wonderful, but I've never been able to replicate it.

I'm jumping to the conclusion that my beans just may not be fresh. I usually use navy or white beans, and I buy the prepackaged ones for easy measuring. What's the best store to get bulk dried beans that are going to be fresh? And any other ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I am presoaking the beans overnight (at least 16-18hrs), and one time I soaked for two days because my bbq got delayed a day. I'm in California, there's a Winco, FoodMaxx, Sprouts, Smart & Final, Safeway, Cost Less, and a few Mexican chains.

If you watch that vid they comment specifically on the freshness, or lack thereof, of dried beans.

Buy canned beans instead:
If you watch that vid they comment specifically on the freshness, or lack thereof, of dried beans.

I have done them from canned because I forgot to soak the beans. I started with just white beans and made my alterations rather than using baked beans. Everyone did enjoy it. Cost is part of the factor for me. One bag of dried beans for a dollar takes like 6 cans at 75cents each for the same volume. And I've made a batch of baked beans with two bags and had it all disappear. If it was one or two servings, then canned would be the most ideal to help with portion control.

I've made plain pinto beans a dozen times and never had any issues when making them from dried beans.

zbarron

I got another boneless pork loin. This time instead of turning it all into thick pork chops I made a variety of cuts.
29794657385_ec115a6ca5_b.jpg

From left to right you have some thick cut chops from the fatty end, a roast, some thin sliced breakfast chops, two butterflied ones for pork schnitzel, and thin strips for stir fries and pork fried rice. I'm vacuum sealing and freezing everything I don't plan on cooking in the next two days. I really can't get over how versatile, economical and healthy this is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
what is a good book to learn about, like, the 5 mother sauces of French cuisine and the differences between Sichuan, Hunan, and Cantonese cooking? (and other complicated shit like that?)

is there like a cooking encyclopedia or Cooking Book of Facts or something

It's a strange feeling to comfortably decline two job offers - one for Bon Appetit and the other as head pastry chef for a pair of popular Seattle restaurants

Damn, queen! SLAY

Here it is folks. The most expensive chevre ever made.

Hanging to drain:

The final product:

Cost to purchase goats, build their shelfter, fence it, feed them for two years, vets visits, studding fee to birth kid, etc., etc. all amortized into a single 2.5C batch of chevre.

Tasted pretty good, slightly more tang than I'm used to, and a smidge grainy. We'll be adjusting cultures and sitting time to dial it in.

It's awesome hearing about someone on here doing exactly what I want to do down the road!!!

Top Bottom