• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cr6yzCjUkAA4c9h.png

Mulldrifter is back!

Crocodile

Woooooo basically Mulldrifter. Evoking it has always been giving up anyway.

And Blue/White possibly having a flicker subtheme excites me. Because that's my favorite mechanic.

I mean the Evoke ability on Mulldrifter was like the most powerful part of the card. Options and flexibility <3

Honestly, I see this as marketing's problem and not design's problem. Magic has been a fairly diverse game since its inception. There's always been experts brought on for world design, and there's always been a fairly diverse representation of races and orientations on cards. The only difference now is that marketing is seeing that they can slap buzzwords on it and get all kinds of attention for it. I shudder to think how hard they'd lean into Volrath if his storyline showed up today (check out the art for unmask for the short and sweet on that). I also noticed that Kaladesh wasn't actually particularly Indian, which means it probably shouldn't have been marketed heavily as that, but the political climate gives them huge incentive to do it anyways.

So basically paying lip service without doing the legwork? WOTC doesn't strike be as that cynical (more cowardly than assholish) but its not beyond any company and I guess at the end of the day, the end result is the same.

Very strong for limited, but it seems like we're mostly done with burn that can hit face.

We've been over this - burn cards that have a limitless ceiling on the damage they can do but a fixed mana cost tend not to be able to hit players because its too easy to just blast people for like 10 damage for 3 mana. Imagine the version of this card that can hit players and creatures in Affinity. Sounds terrifying no?

Hero

You'd think red would get something in exchange for the shit place the color is in right now aside from one PW card.

Santiako

We've been over this - burn cards that have a limitless ceiling on the damage they can do but a fixed mana cost tend not to be able to hit players because its too easy to just blast people for like 10 damage for 3 mana. Imagine the version of this card that can hit players and creatures in Affinity. Sounds terrifying no?

Fair enough. They already have a 1 mana 4 damage (and 2 mana 5 damage that they don't even use) though :p

Another common:

czroxXF.png

That aside excluding dtk and origins there's 3 red instants that can hit face right now in standard and Kaladesh, so far, has not been adding to that list. Including dtk and origins there's 2 constructed playable and one fringe playable instant that can hit face right now in standard.

Good lord. Crater's Claws didn't break fucking Standard, why can't we get that again?

There was nothing more satisfying than a Ferocious CC tagged with a Ferocious Stubborn Denial. Goddammit I miss Temur.

OnPoint

Hey, we fired him, but let's write premium articles about him anyway

uAvgHRX.png

:/

More like trying to take credit, amirite?

I'm only half serious. I think it's awesome that Brad worked with him, but credit where credit's due: SCG fucked BBD over and BBD used that as motivation to win it all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BBD going from SCG grinder to World Champion practically the moment they cut him is the funniest anti-SCG story ever.

I mean, other than SCG's prices.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I1ZLju2.png

What everyone's been waiting for, a CoCo variant. But like also probably bad, outside some weird combo w/ flickering.

I could see it in a deck with big huge fatties that have harsh upkeep costs that your opponent wouldn't be able to pay, so they'd end up just sacking their stolen creature on their upkeep anyway.

siddx

Noble Hierarch jumped this week, huh?

BBD moves to Roanoke VA from Seattle and signs a lease for a year to work at SCG after having worked there for some time

SCG promptly fires him for no good (public) reason

Good, I finally got a playset this past summer to stick in the no touch box.

Also I remember the BS reasoning being that they were cutting contributors with low page hits and they claimed BBD had some of the lowest. People called bullshit because he was often considered to have some of the best articles on the site.

I could see it in a deck with big huge fatties that have harsh upkeep costs that your opponent wouldn't be able to pay, so they'd end up just sacking their stolen creature on their upkeep anyway.

The other issue here is that you need a certain density of creatures in order to hit, just like CoCo. Unlike CoCo, you have to hit two otherwise your opponent gets one and you get nothing. Creating a deck with 20+ expensive fatties with upkeep costs doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

siddx

The other issue here is that you need a certain density of creatures in order to hit, just like CoCo. Unlike CoCo, you have to hit two otherwise your opponent gets one and you get nothing. Creating a deck with 20+ expensive fatties with upkeep costs doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Definitely not, but I'm sure there will be a casual tabletop deck filled with demons or some shit with ugly upkeep costs.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
There you go. Now that's an idea I can get behind. You essentially have to hit one of these to make it work though. Wish Homeward Path was legal in Modern.

Isn't this just an inconsistent, underpowered Tooth & Nail in Modern?

Kaladesh has much better delirium enablers than Shadows block had, though that is probably due to limited just weird to see all these cards here that thematically makes more sense in Shadows Moon

ultron87

Isn't this just an inconsistent, underpowered Tooth & Nail in Modern?

Well it costs 3/5 mana less than Tooth and Nail.

Like I'm pretty sure it's just bad, but as the card name itself suggests, it wants you to tinker with it and find some way to break it. And that is fun to think about.

I've noticed that blue cards spoiled so far are oddly lacking in set mechanics. The only one to use any so far is Thriving Turtle, with energy. (And I suppose the blue Puzzleknot, also with energy).

I've noticed that blue cards spoiled so far are oddly lacking in set mechanics. The only one to use any so far is Thriving Turtle, with energy. (And I suppose the blue Puzzleknot, also with energy).

Yeah. Fabricate has been on like 3 cards so far total, vehicles are colourless artifacts, and that basically leaves energy and pilots, the former which has indeed been mostly missing on the Blue cards we've seen and the latter which has been entirely missing (although when we've seen literally one pilot with a crew effect that's not saying much). The other colours have displayed several energy related cards, so either it's lighter in Blue, which would seem a bit odd given that it's Blue, or they've just had rather unbalanced choices for cards to reveal.

But no one is going to make noise about Angels or Djinn.

How far we've come from the days that Demons were removed due to complaints!

Honestly, I see this as marketing's problem and not design's problem. Magic has been a fairly diverse game since its inception. There's always been experts brought on for world design, and there's always been a fairly diverse representation of races and orientations on cards. The only difference now is that marketing is seeing that they can slap buzzwords on it and get all kinds of attention for it.

I think this is an unfair read on the situation. Magic has always been ahead of the pack on this, I'd agree (they were one of the few fantasy brands in the late 90s/early 2000s with reasonable depictions of female characters) but the push over the last few years is clearly a concerted effort originating in the Creative team to do a better job and be much more representative than formerly. I don't think their marketing has really leaned into it all that much except inasmuch as they can use it as a partial antidote to their (rightful) reputation for having a miserable, toxic fanbase.

WRT Kaladesh in particular, I think this goes to show the limitations of trying to properly represent cultural diversity with a team of 10+ white guys. They can certainly do a very good job of avoiding pitfalls, and of handling inclusivity effectively on the level of individual characters, but getting to "effective and true-feeling representation of another culture" while dodging both unintended offense and purely superficial depictions is just difficult.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216415579]It's like someone told you to pick exactly one card from every Modern deck and build a deck with them.[/QUOTE]

I know right, it looks like crap but I'm 2-0 now. Never even mulligan'd, is that how pro's do it?

My round 2 opponent was 2 coloured and got colour screwed while I was easily playing 4 colours.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As a person of color, I will say that I think the way they handled Kaladesh being Indian was completely correct. You can't please everyone, but someone is going to complain that its either "too Indian" or "not Indian enough" regardless and this was the much safer route than having Loxodons and Rakshasa and such.

I don't buy the argument that the Indian setting is just "window dressing" because the setting for every non-top down designed set is window dressing to some degree.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As a person of color, I will say that I think the way they handled Kaladesh being Indian was completely correct. You can't please everyone, but someone is going to complain that its either "too Indian" or "not Indian enough" regardless and this was the much safer route than having Loxodons and Rakshasa and such.

I don't buy the argument that the Indian setting is just "window dressing" because the setting for every non-top down designed set is window dressing to some degree.

As a white person I do feel like I would have liked to see them skew a bit closer to what they did with Tarkir then they appear to have so far. Tarkir did have some more pronounced influences from various southeast asian cultures

jph139

All I know is if they do a China block without a Son Wukong knockoff legendary I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

No monkey man in Magic India? Cool, that's understandable. But really, there should be a whole set of ersatz Journey to the West guys in Magic China, Monkey King is the bare minimum.

As a white person I do feel like I would have liked to see them skew a bit closer to what they did with Tarkir then they appear to have so far. Tarkir did have some more pronounced influences from various southeast asian cultures

Tarkir was too pronounced in the sense that it was so vastly different across Khans that you can't stop but draw similarities whenever they do another continental asian themed set.

Ashodin

As a person who likes equipment

I want to see more damn equipment

Also I fired off a question mark about Brago's Sword. missed opportunity imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom