• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Man, remember the days when you could kill damn near anything for 2 mana and people were a okay with that game state?
Yeah Terminate is still leagues better. Remember when it and Lightning Bolt were legal in the same format? Those were the good times.

kirblar

Tarkir was too pronounced in the sense that it was so vastly different across Khans that you can't stop but draw similarities whenever they do another continental asian themed set.
Tarkir was specifically based on the era post-Genghis Khan when the region splintered, it's why Abzan/Sultai have multiple influences, because they were stretching across countries/cultures that have different boundaries and identities today.

Yeef

Man, remember the days when you could kill damn near anything for 2 mana and people were a okay with that game state?
That's what got us the Titans and the Thragtusks of the world. Personally, I prefer games the reward tight technical play and risk management over games that are just trading haymakers.

As a person of color, I will say that I think the way they handled Kaladesh being Indian was completely correct. You can't please everyone, but someone is going to complain that its either "too Indian" or "not Indian enough" regardless and this was the much safer route than having Loxodons and Rakshasa and such.

Strategically it absolutely was, since they're not gonna get any bad press or alienate people via offensive depictions this way, but I think they'll find in retrospect they could've gone further and still been safe.

The Loxodons are a good item to bring up here actually, because I think you can pose the difficulty as the "loxodons vs. monkeys" challenge. To wit: including loxodons as a humanoid race in an Indian-themed setting would be seen by many offensive, while replacing the gremlins we see in Kaladesh with mischievous monkeys would not. The reasons for this are, I think, pretty clear when you lay them out, but aren't going to be obvious on a superficial glance unless you dig into it.

That's what got us the Titans and the Thragtusks of the world. Personally, I prefer games the reward tight technical play and risk management over games that are just trading haymakers.

Yeah for all people complain about aspects of the game nowadays, these days in Standard the way creatures, planeswalkers, and spells tend to be designed leads to a lot of complex and interactive board states compared to many previous eras.

Firemind

But the titans were barely played in standard...

Firemind

I mean, the titans were introduced in M11, which were in the same set Squadron Hawk was printed. In M12, Ponder was reprinted. Delver of Secrets followed in the next set. Mana Leak was both in M11 and M12...

Firemind

This was the better 'titan' when M11 was just released:

Image.ashx

Yeah, Primeval saw more play when Valakut got printed, but meh, still couldn't beat the blue decks.

zethren

Banned
I mean, the titans were introduced in M11, which were in the same set Squadron Hawk was printed. In M12, Ponder was reprinted. Delver of Secrets followed in the next set. Mana Leak was both in M11 and M12...

Basically every deck I played against, while Titans were in standard, had Titans in them. Cawblade was an exception yeah.

Hell, I played a Wolf Run Red deck for a while back then with both Primeval and Inferno Titans, and it was one of the best performing standard decks I ever used.

red13th

Did they spoil any other "story spotlight" cards? I'm looking at the card image gallery and the only one I see is Inventor's Fair.
It isn't like a promotional version right, they should be regular cards in packs with the planeswalker symbol and "Story Spotlight X/5" written on the bottom.

EDIT: Also there's one non-basic land left to be spoiled, I wonder if it's a crazy thing or just a common fixer. Evolving Wilds doesn't fit, it's between Inventor's Fair and Spirebluff Canal.

Santiako

Did they spoil any other "story spotlight" cards? I'm looking at the card image gallery and the only one I see is Inventor's Fair.
It isn't like a promotional version right, they should be regular cards in packs with the planeswalker symbol and "Story Spotlight X/5" written on the bottom.

EDIT: Also there's one non-basic land left to be spoiled, I wonder if it's a crazy thing or just a common fixer. Evolving Wilds doesn't fit, it's between Inventor's Fair and Spirebluff Canal.

No, they said at the PAX panel that they wanted to be careful not to spoil the story ahead of time (which is inevitable unless they finish telling the story before the set releases).

Yeah, the regular cards in the packs have the watermark, Story Spotlight number, and mtgstory.com URL. They should be spoiling 2 and 3 next week.

No, they said at the PAX panel that they wanted to be careful not to spoil the story ahead of time (which is inevitable unless they finish telling the story before the set releases).

Given that they said the next story article is coming out Wednesday and I don't think they'd do a big story dump if they weren't going to post a story this Wednesday and next Monday, they definitely won't cover the remaining story by next Friday. I'm guessing that instead of making the story cards random previews given to other sites, they'll do a story summary post and lay everything out there, with the story cards included. Perhaps on Thursday.

Superfriends ready to deploy.
EDnAoZ1.jpg

So excited to test it out in paper tomorrow. Excuse the potato quality had to mess with the colours and brightness for readability it was either flash or the glaring headlight.

Shit, that looks awesome.

Looks good. Needs a book-pack-in Jace tho:

15.png

EDIT: holy shit no that thing is way more expensive than i thought

Yeah I paid like $120 for mine :p
Only pimp card in my cube, only non-foil one I could find actually.
thanks.

I rather like droopy jace. As much as I harp on Jace, I'm still playing 5 of the 6 possible Jaces. Not sure yet if the new Chandra will replace a none PW or if Saheeli will even make the cut.

120$, damn. That's about as much as I paid for the last necessary batch needed for this deck.

GB thanks again for the input on the deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, there was a point in time when nobody played anything that wasn't Caw Blade. I think Titans were legal then.

Also, Kalitas into Cataclysmic Gearhulk sounds gross.

Hey! DRAFT THIS CUBE multiple times and give me feedback plz <3

There are flaws I've already seen and avenues I have in mind for improvement but more feedback is appreciated

Is this a lorwyn block cube

thanks.

I rather like droopy jace. As much as I harp on Jace, I'm still playing 5 of the 6 possible Jaces. Not sure yet if the new Chandra will replace a none PW or if Saheeli will even make the cut.

120$, damn. That's about as much as I paid for the last necessary batch needed for this deck.

for sure

Listening to MaRo's Drive to Work: Urza's Legacy part 2, and when talking about Goblin Welder, he claims that red cares about artifacts the second most, after blue, with white caring less then them. They had moved away from that previously, but they've been drifting back to red caring about artifacts, with a mad inventor flavor. This is a notable shift from his previous view of red and artifacts, where he claimed red liked seeing artifacts blow up and not much else.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216449701]Is this a lorwyn block cube[/QUOTE]

It's a Tribal Cube. I like Tribal formats, Lorwyn is one of my favorite formats and I've had a Tribal Cube for a while but I've retooled recently.

Hero

Listening to MaRo's Drive to Work: Urza's Legacy part 2, and when talking about Goblin Welder, he claims that red cares about artifacts the second most, after blue, with white caring less then them. They had moved away from that previously, but they've been drifting back to red caring about artifacts, with a mad inventor flavor. This is a notable shift from his previous view of red and artifacts, where he claimed red liked seeing artifacts blow up and not much else.

Yeah it's weird. I always thought of blue using artifacts for knowledge, whereas red used artifacts in a more exploitative manner, which is why a lot of their spells had you saccing artifacts.

Ozigizo

thanks.

Imma just leave this Wave of Vitriol right here.

I mean, you're going to Armageddon all the lands, so it's fair game, right?

Supast4r

Midrange creatures are worse now than they ever have been with your: spell quellers, collected company (worse than thrag ever was), seige rhino, etc. Arleast back then control got to have Jace architect of thought and Sphinx rev to fight fast aggro like hell rider or great midrange like thragdaddy. Fast forward to today and everything is midrange. Wizards basically wants everything to be about stalled out creature boards and how midrange decks slightly differ from each other.

Imma just leave this Wave of Vitriol right here.

I mean, you're going to Armageddon all the lands, so it's fair game, right?

Nope, zero MLD (well Ajani) and only Expropriate for extra turns (well Ral Zarek). It's not a particularly competitive deck there'll be a lot of PWs not living very long but that's why I put in time spiral.

Ozigizo

Nope, zero MLD (well Ajani) and only Expropriate for extra turns (well Ral Zarek). It's not a particularly competitive deck there'll be a lot of PWs not living very long but that's why I put in time spiral.

They've released so much non-basic hate that it's rough playing a greedy mana base. It's why I've taken apart most of my all colors.

I guess it depends on your play group.

I need help with choosing a sideboard for Jund for a local tournament.

I expect to see Merfolk, Infect and I've also seen a Jeskai Ascendancy deck in the meta. Also Modern burn would not surprise me to be there. I have not seen the mirror, or Tron. The guy that played Bogles recently moved for College.

I'm thinking of stocking Disfigure in the sideboard for Infect.

I currently have 1 Choke, 1 Damnation, 2 Anger of the Gods, 2 Grafdiggers Cage, 1 Jund Charm, 3 Kitchen Finks, 1 Slaughter Games, 1 Batterskull, 1 Creeping Corrosion, 1 Night of Souls' Betrayal, 1 Engineered Explosives

Thanks

Yeef

Midrange creatures are worse now than they ever have been with your: spell quellers, collected company (worse than thrag ever was), seige rhino, etc. Arleast back then control got to have Jace architect of thought and Sphinx rev to fight fast aggro like hell rider or great midrange like thragdaddy. Fast forward to today and everything is midrange. Wizards basically wants everything to be about stalled out creature boards and how midrange decks slightly differ from each other.
Unless you just have a very broad definition of midrange, I don't think that's an accurate assessment. Sure, Bant Company is a huge part of the meta, but there are plenty of other decks that are well-positioned against the field and play very differently. The UR spells decks, BW control and human aggro all play fairly differently and none of them qualify as midrange in my book. The delirium decks and the Emerge decks have the most overlap of any two of the major archetypes in standard, but even there, either deck can be built to be more controlling or more midrangey and still be competitive. The best deck before the last rotation was Rally, a combo deck.

I enjoyed the INN-RTR standard seasons a lot, but that's in spire of its flaws. There were plenty of fun decks, but a lot of those decks were all-in; either you got your haymaker on time or you didn't; there wasn't much room for fumbling and there wasn't much time to recover if you did. It waas especially bad with the control decks, because you could be out of the game by turn 4, but still have to wait another 20 turns before you actually lost.

These days, I feel like there's much more room to recover and a wider amount of viable cards to adjust a deck to the meta.

(Also, I'd argue Spell Queller and Company are both tempo cards, not a midrange cards.)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Superfriends is so fucking obnoxious to play against.

I assumed wizards avoided making kaladesh "more Indian" for the same reason they probably would never do Arabian nights again. Both cultures are so closely tied to religion that you risk pissing people off and causing a PR issue by printing some flavor or an image or using a "likeness" of someone or something that ends up being interrupted as an insult to Hinduism or Islam.

For instance someone in the thread mentioned a monkey God. I'm pretty sure enough people would get pissed over what they saw as hanuman being in the game that it wouldn't be worth the headache.
I wouldn't have said so years ago but recently, especially after Modi was elected, it seems conservative attitudes and intolerance are back on the rise in India.

bigkrev

What makes it so much more expensive than any of the other set versions of it?
You could only get it by buying a $26 hardcover book at LCS/Hobby stores.
The sales figures of this book is what led them to stop doing books and switch to eBooks and website content instead

Ozigizo

You could only get it by buying a $26 hardcover book at LCS/Hobby stores.
The sales figures of this book is what led them to stop doing books and switch to eBooks and website content instead

I assume the IDW comics were the same. I really wish that was still going, those promos were awesome. I still have the duress and treasure hunt.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216489751]Glad to see all the Pucatrade backlash lately. I came just short of calling it an outright scam when I first looked into it over a year ago.[/QUOTE]

What's going on with it? Haven't really been paying attention to it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216489751]Glad to see all the Pucatrade backlash lately. I came just short of calling it an outright scam when I first looked into it over a year ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it always weirded me out and I didn't want to get stuck trading out my good stuff and never get what I wanted back. I'm glad that I never went ahead with it.

Santiako

I used pucatrade to get most of my EDH deck in return for some of my old cards about a year ago but I haven't used it since I discovered magiccardmarket in February or so.

I just checked the new interface and it is absolute dog shit damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom