• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon: Zero Dawn the best looking open world game ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTA V and Witcher 3 on PC still leave Horizon in the dust IMO. I'll have to see more, but from what I've seen right now, there is no competition current or upcoming for those two games.

It looks better than uncharted in 4k pro mode

reenz9.png

vlcsnap-2016-09-08-208ysdi.png

qSm2Zn.png

leqm3X.png

7Tg0Z0.png

Falchion

I haven't even thought about it but it's at least a conversation. Everything we've seen so far looks spectacular though, definitely best hair since Tomb Raider.

rhandino

Banned
I think they have said multiple times it is a "true open world" game though.
True open world means that you can go everywhere from the start without any kind of limitation like Skyrim, Fallout or XenoX but from some interviews they have done it sounded like Xenoblade Chronicles, Final Fantasy XII, etc... deal in which you have big open areas connected by big open hallways that unlock with story progress.

martino

It remains to be seen just how open it will really be.

this and on console.
this game won't have draw distance/ iq you can get on pc on third party open world. horizon on consle will beat them on this mostly because all focus on the platform (outside of all other subjective art appreciation)

GTA V and Witcher 3 on PC still leave Horizon in the dust IMO. I'll have to see more, but from what I've seen right now, there is no competition current or upcoming for those two games.

I highly disagree. And to even go as far as saying they leave it in the dust? Come on, man. I have both games on PC, and this is just nonsense.

I think aint fair to throw up here PC games on super ultra maxed out I mean, Horizon is a PS4 game.

I think (hope) it's not the resolution count that matters, it's the overall graphics and Horizon just looks stunning even if you compare it against some open world games running on really expensive PC's.

I think they have said multiple times it is a "true open world" game though.

I would have no issue describing DA:I as "true open world."

In Infamous you had to have loading screens when you went into the sewers, and I didn't feel like that was any less open world than anything else.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Witcher 3 and GTA5 on 4K maxed out looks spectacular. But from the demos Horizon is close 3rd for sure. Thats crazy too considering you dont need gigantic rig to play it.

Da-Kid

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks better in my opinion. Way more impressive with being an Open World(Air) game too.

It has potential to be, but how many times is GAF going to fall for pre-release graphics hype? We've been misled so many times that I don't understand why people still seem to trust that the final product will match what is shown.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It probably will be simply because Guerilla Games are great at technical achievements. It's a weird statement to make though because of course tech that was released later than others is going to look better.

RK9039

Star Citizen

Wha...

I felt like The Witcher 3 had one of the most enjoyable open worlds to explore...so much detail, hidden locations, items, quests, archiectures, towns...they were so well thought out and implemented into the maps.

Ya'll on crazy pills.

Yup, it also had a great deal of variety thanks to the different zones. One thing I love about the W3 is how alive the world feels, it will be interesting to see if future open world games can reach that level.

Horizon reminds me of Shadow of Mordor for some reason.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
On consoles? Most assuredly unless something goes very wrong from now to release. On the PC Star Citizen is amazing looking but I don't think I'll have the rig to do it real justice any time soon.

Servbot24

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks better in my opinion. Way more impressive with being an Open World(Air) game too.

Fair enough if you prefer Zelda's art style, but Horizon is objectively a far more impressive technical feat.

Horizon looks objectively better than Zelda. You probably just prefer the art style. Technically it's not even close.

No I mean it looks better. Period.
Well, you can think that but you're still wrong. Horizon, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and some others all look objectively better.

Raptor

I think (hope) it's not the resolution count that matters, it's the overall graphics and Horizon just looks stunning even if you compare it against some open world games running on really expensive PC's.

Also presentation, looks very clean and pretty to look at.

Da-Kid

Fair enough if you prefer Zelda's art style, but Horizon is objectively a far more impressive technical feat.
Meh, it looks OK. Zelda looks more imersive and impressive overall to me. As an open world game in general, it's doing greater things the Horizon.

rhandino

Banned
There is an argument about the aesthetic or which game is going to make better use of their open world but let's be honest: Horizon looks >>>> Zelda from a technical perspective.

No I mean it looks better. Period.
Oh, seems you are at the deep end.

Never mind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom