• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

ethomaz

Banned
It's important to read previews and looking at the footage of what they say they're playing to mentally align on whether or not you agree/disagree with the written preview. We can't always see the whole slate of what they play, but generally we'll get enough.

Eg. If you ask me what games's positive previews sound as great as their write-up compared to what is shown in gameplay footages shown at E3 this year, it's only Horizon and Sea of Thieves. Every other hands-on impression preview + footage feels like there is a bit of disconnect.
I forget it.

Sea of Thieves is another game where the previews where really positive like Horizon... and not the writer trying to find excuses to expect the game looks good in final release.

Sota4077

The greatest games.

Sorry I had to. It's actually a shame considering the reveal trailer filled us all with such great hope.

From what I can gather out of all the games Microsoft has released this generation as far as full fledged games go this was the first one that was really a huge miss.

TheJoRu

What a shame. Not awful, but not good either. I had high hopes for this earlier, but recently that hope was waning and now it's basically completely gone.

timberger

Time to uncheck that "greatest games" bullet point I guess :p

That's gotta sting though considering the ridiculous hype for this game during that first years where it existed as nothing more than a logo and some CGI.

Ah well, I might let my preorder stand out of sheer morbid curiousity if nothing else.

From what I can gather out of all the games Microsoft has released this generation as far as full fledged games go this was the first one that was really a huge miss.
Ryse?

Time to uncheck that "greatest games" bullet point I guess :p

That's gotta sting though considering the ridiculous hype for this game during that first years where it existed as nothing more than a logo and some CGI.

Ah well, I might let my preorder stand out of sheer morbid curiousity if nothing else.
I wouldn't say hype was "ridiculous". I was definitely intrigued after that initial reveal though.

Ridley327

I've always thought it seemed a bit disingenuous in saying this was developed by the Metroid Prime devs. Wasn't it about three of the senior guys from Retro who formed Armature?
Yeah, but they were pretty senior staff, including Mark Pacini, who was the lead designer on all three of the Prime games.

That being said, Armature is doing a great job of proving how you leave more than a position behind when you leave Nintendo. Though Inafune's reputation is tarnished at this point, even at his peak as a producer, he's no EAD.

EmiPrime

Yeah, but they were pretty senior staff, including Mark Pacini, who was the lead designer on all three of the Prime games.

That being said, Armature is doing a great job of proving how you leave more than a position behind when you leave Nintendo.

You'd think what happened to Rare would have taught them that lesson.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I'm okay with more Mega Man Legends type, I had hoped it would be more and avoid some of the same faults that existed due to when it came out. I'll still get this game, but I'm in no hurry now.

Yikes, scores are brutal. Was hoping this would do well as it sounds like the type of game i would really love. I don't have the patience for mediocrity anymore though. Oh well.

Noobcraft

Ryse? Quantum break to an extent. Only one with that pure quality is Ninten...starfox zero..do
Ryse is a solid game though. The story gets weird but the gameplay is good outside of a few boss fights. I haven't played QB but I agree that it can be considered disappointing (at least the response to it).

Imo Ryse is actually underrated.

Ridley327

At this point, Rare is looking like the best of any of the former big Nintendo partners. Both Factor 5 and Silicon Knights quickly became grossly mismanaged shambles, Left Field Productions never did anything even a quarter as high profile, and that one studio made up of former Pikmin team members disappeared off the face of the planet after Army Corps from Hell. Who knows how big a bullet Sakurai was able to dodge when he came back to the fold.

I'm already wary of how Monster Games is going to turn out, and all Nintendo really had for them by the end of their partnership was ports.

shanafan

Ryse? Quantum break to an extent. Only one with that pure quality is Ninten...starfox zero..do

A lot of people liked Ryse. Even the multiplayer was a lot of fun. It had one terrible review where the reviewer said that dialing a phone number was more fun, but I think in the end, after more and more people played the game, that reviewer was deemed incorrect.

Rodin

Considering how people were kicking and screaming since that CGI trailer that this was the real Retro working on a proper Metroid Prime spiritual sequel, despite every single gameplay trailer showing that the game was obviously bad, i'm not sure that lesson will ever be learned.

Quantum Break and SF0 aren't bad games in any way.

A lot of people liked Ryse. Even the multiplayer was a lot of fun. It had one terrible review where the reviewer said that dialing a phone number was more fun, but I think in the end, after more and more people played the game, that reviewer was deemed incorrect.
It's sitting at just as bad a meta ad recore so going off the original posters logic than recore isn't a miss either.

timberger

Fuckin' lawl

Hitta93

Banned
64 on Metacritic is pretty much an average game, just not one Xbox fanboys can gloat about.

Still looking to playing it.

Getting a Enslaved: Odyssey to the West vibe from this game. Super ambitious game with a lot of heart and good ideas, held back from greatness by an equal parts lack of budget and time.

Will probably pick it up though. Eventually.

Armature should get a project from Nintendo and have their internal support. Maybe have Retro help them.

We don't know exactly what happened when Pacini, Keller, Matthews, and other employees departed Retro, whatever it was didn't seem to indicate it was on good terms. I'd say this is very unlikely.

Ridley327

The watchful eye of Nintendo.

I think more specifically, Nintendo having great managerial skills to help mold raw talent into something more focused and polished is the magic that a lot of developers tap into while working with them and can't replicate if and when they go their separate ways.

At this point, Rare is looking like the best of any of the former big Nintendo partners. Both Factor 5 and Silicon Knights quickly became grossly mismanaged shambles, Left Field Productions never did anything even a quarter as high profile, and that one studio made up of former Pikmin team members disappeared off the face of the planet after Army Corps from Hell. Who knows how big a bullet Sakurai was able to dodge when he came back to the fold.

I'm already wary of how Monster Games is going to turn out, and all Nintendo really had for them by the end of their partnership was ports.

Considering where Nintendo is at right now, it's more their loss than the studio.

Edit: Well, more of a loss for specific franchises, like Metroid.

renzollo

Banned
The parts of the game that the reviews call repetitive and grindy are the parts that I'm most likely to enjoy. If the moment-to-moment gameplay is engaging then I don't really care what's wrapped around it. I think I'll still give it a shot @ $40.00.

MisterR

Ryse is setting on 60 on metacritic. I'd say that's more than one guy giving a bad review. Every game has it's fans, but Ryse was a flop review wise.

jryeje29

Seems to be about average. Depending on how long it takes me to finish the Witcher 3 I might pick this up if not I'll check it out after BF1 comes out and I get tired of that.

The parts of the game that the reviews call repetitive and grindy are the parts that I'm most likely to enjoy. If the moment-to-moment gameplay is engaging then I don't really care what's wrapped around it. I think I'll still give it a shot @ $40.00.

These are my thoughts. They also say it's like a "fetch-quest" later on because you need disco-looking cores to access more places or whatever, but I'm going to be exploring and getting cores anyway.

It's sort of like how with Xenoblade X people kept complaining about metting exploration requirements before continuing the story missions. This literally was a non-issue for me because I was meeting those requirements just by playing the game.

Toki767

64 on Metacritic is pretty much an average game, just not one Xbox fanboys can gloat about.

Still looking to playing it.

It's basically about the same score as the only other original game Armature made which is Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate.

People constantly overhyped this game being by the Metroid Prime developers but I don't feel like that was ever really true. It was by a few of the Metroid Prime developers who formed Armature.

Top Bottom