• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

RootCause

That's disappointing. Though I never let a score stop me from enjoying something. Would love to give it a try some day.

This can't be good for Keiji, all his projects are getting panned by critics. :(

That's disappointing. Though I never let a score stop me from enjoying something. Would love to give it a try some day.

This can't be good for Keiji, all his projects are getting panned by critics. :(

Maybe he should listen to some of them? Take a step back, evaluate things? Constructive criticism can be useful.

Coolade

Akp8DMK.png

Koozek

Bomb?

Not surprise based in previews.

FFXV looks to be going in the same path... hope I'm wrong in this one.
FFXV previews were positive.

Additionally our @APZonerunner's great preview:
Final Fantasy 15 Hands-On: Weird, wonderful and definitely in need of that delay

And another from IGN at PAX West:
IGN: Final Fantasy XV's Opening Hour is Surprising, Awesome - PAX West 2016

EDIT: Add another one to that - Jason Schreier just published his preview:
Kotaku: Two Surprisingly Good Hours With Final Fantasy XV

Seems like a sort of "how much jank can you handle" issue. I'm basically going in expecting a budget title with budget title quirks, so I expect I'll enjoy it. Judging from (most of) the reviews, the games' bones seems to be good, which isn't something you can say about a lot of titles.

Zafir

Part of it is the death of AA games (kinda like ReCore). You had tons more AA games in the PS2 era, so when the AAA juggernauts came out, they were guaranteed that top end of the spectrum. Now that the games that took up the 6-8 range have disappeared, AAA games have spread out along the scale and it takes a lot more to stand out and hit the high end.

That's true. I think it's a shame the B-tier kind of disappeared.

You used to get a lot more experimental titles in there which weren't afraid to try something a bit different.

Still sounds like a game I'd probably like, but the reviews have also reinforced many of the concerns I've had about it. I won't be rushing out and grabbing it day one or anything, but might still give it a look eventually.

I'd agree but Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are pretty much better than every exclusive last gen alone so it works out.

Come on now. Those two games are great but overall so far both Sony and Microsoft have had more duds than truly exceptional must have games this gen. Uncharted 4 is indeed better than most last gen ps exclusives (haven't played Bloodborne) but quantity is also important and on that count no one can argue last gen both Ms and Sony had more good to great games out in comparative same amount of time.

As someone who isn't interested in the Halo-Gears-Forza Trifecta I had high hopes for both Quantum Break and ReCore. XBOX Ones are cheap as hell in Germany, with some luck you get a refurbed one for risible €150, and I'd get one as soon as MS finally delivers in the games department.

Don't worry, I am not riding this stupid "MS has no gamz" train, but for me personally, MS wasn't able to deliver a single "must-have" title so far, or it's just that both competitors have better alternatives in their libraries. Even more worrysome for MS, there isn't a silver ligning on the Horizon which indicates things might change anytime soon.

Nzyme32

Very much expected considering the price, lack of any showing of the game demonstrating something I would enjoy and Inafune's name being attached. Shame since the big thing that gave me any interest at all was the "from the makers of Metroid Prime" mention. Still probably fun for those looking for an average old style platformer

Fdkn

Most games that get reviews from the media are 'good' in the sense that they're enjoyable by their target audience. There's plenty of 60s-70s that are totally fine as long as the person purchasing is informed about the game and its potential flaws and how they allign with his taste. This game is probably one of them.

When a game gets excellent review scores is because:

- it's a game that will be enjoyed by most players, regardless of their preferences.
- it's a game that is extremely good at what it does, even if its appeal is still limited to the niche that would play it anyway.

The 'everything under 80 is bad' is a terrible mentality, but at the same time, calling 60-70 games below average is actually true, and that doesn't make them bad games, if else, the term would be 'less good'

Shiggy

As someone who isn't interested in the Halo-Gears-Forza Trifecta I had high hopes for both Quantum Break and ReCore. XBOX Ones are cheap as hell in Germany, with some luck you get a refurbed one for risible €150, and I'd get one as soon as MS finally delivers in the games department.

Don't worry, I am not riding this stupid "MS has no gamz" train, but for me personally, MS wasn't able to deliver a single "must-have" title so far, or it's just that both competitors have better alternatives in their libraries. Even more worrysome for MS, there isn't a silver ligning on the Horizon which indicates things might change anytime soon.

You can get a NEW Xbox One at that price with some luck.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Got a bit lower than my expected average but all within range. This game looked quite rough from miles away. Fucking Inafune. :/

"But previews are always positive".
Previews are generally positive and that's true across many types of media.

Just in the last year there have been high-profile examples of initially great impressions preceding critically panned movies and games. It's not a stretch to claim that impressions are fairly worthless.

leaf_

Has nothing to do with if I'd buy the game or not. That's just how I've always interpreted a 1 to 10 scale. The whole anything under a 8 is bad mentality I just don't agree with.

On today's market with so many options competing for people's time is just logical to take this stance, why would you use your limited free time with a sub 8 when there is just an insane amount of higher quality titles at your disposal?

samred

My review: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...obot-dog-cant-save-this-half-baked-adventure/

It's a shame, because I liked bouncing around New Eden as Joule. Some of the overworld's discovery moments are really fun (especially once you unlock one nifty wall-gliding trick), and I liked getting the hang of the game's battle system (and quickly forgave my initial disgust with the auto-aiming aspect). But too much content is missing. The plot is thin; the upgrades aren't meaningful; and the developers clearly ran out of steam (or, who knows, maybe budget) and put out what they'd gotten done in a certain amount of time.

pastrami

A shame that this one didn't pan out. The original trailer looked great, but the gameplay videos have looked so mediocre.

Elios83

Inafune is definetly getting a good track record with MN9 and this....I wonder what's next from him, probably mobile games.

$40
brendan_fraser_laugh.gif

cost of gaming is low compared to a lot of hobbies.
Not really that low in comparison to other media consumption like movies, books or music.
Yeah but do you know how many better games are cheaper than that? A lot.
This is really the issue people have and why they balk at a 6 or a 7. Yeah, they might have a decent time with that game, but when you're throwing down $40-60, people want the best they can get. Not just "decent" or "pretty good." I think that's pretty understandable.

Ridley327

It looks like Armature continues to struggle with wedding good concepts to solid fundamentals. And judging by the gating complaints, I guess Pacini really was the guy at Retro that pushed the hardest for the end-game key hunts because he likes them that much.

It's got to sting a bit that Federation Force was better received than this has been.

Top Bottom