• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

oSoLucky

I'm only an hour or so in so far and I'll tell you that it was refreshing to be able to use dash and double jump without waiting on some forced slow walking section and 5 minutes of pop up messages that try at every turn to insult my intelligence. Loading times made me quit Bloodborne until it got patched so we'll see how this goes.

I'm only an hour or so in so far and I'll tell you that it was refreshing to be able to use dash and double jump without waiting on some forced slow walking section and 5 minutes of pop up messages that try at every turn to insult my intelligence. Loading times made me quit Bloodborne until it got patched so we'll see how this goes.

Yeah I was actually, as sad as it is, suprised I was allowed to dash straight away. I kept thinking that a tutorial was going to pop up.

Agreed. The movement in general feels so free and light compared to a lot of third person games these days. Really has the movement of a platformer which is nice.

Salty Hippo

well, he was responsible for greenlighting all of those (and giving more time to Ori too) though, since he was the president of microsoft first party publishing

i mean

just think a bit before posting you know, i understand you're always mad and all but a lot of what you post doesn't even make sense

also, i actually agree that ReCore could have gotten more time and didn't need to actually launch this year considering we have forza and gears 4 in a span of two months, and i don't give a fuck about phil really, but he WAS the first party guy when mattrick was president and i'm pretty sure he was one of the responsibles for stuff like Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, etc.

and i also (look!) agree that MS lacks in investment of continuing other franchises, like sunset overdrive, for example, which clearly could go on because of the fanfare and critics opinions. They did greenlight a bunch of other sequels, though, like Crackdown 3 and Ori 2 (which already leaked), so who knows

but you have to credit where it's due. :p

I'd be surprised if every decision of greenlighting a game didn't pass through Mattrick first and was his final word. But either way, the state of Microsoft first-party has been terrible since 2010 with the Kinect. It doesn't matter which leader is at fault the most, they both shit the bed hard and helped destroying the brand by creating this HaloGearsForza-only perception. And Spencer has done nothing to change this so far. He's been in a position to do something for over 2 years and all I've seen from him is Scorpio, Scorpio, zombie game, Destiny clone, Scorpio, timed exclusives, 180º on policies, Phantom Dust sent to limbo, a potentially great game rushed to market, Lionhead and Press Play shutdown, Scorpio.

Thanks PHIL!

I'd be surprised if every decision of greenlighting a game didn't pass through Mattrick first and was his final word. But either way, the state of Microsoft first-party has been terrible since 2010 with the Kinect. It doesn't matter which leader is at fault the most, they both shit the bed hard and helped destroying the brand by creating this HaloGearsForza-only perception. And Spencer has done nothing to change this so far. He's been in a position to do something for over 2 years and all I've seen from him so far is Scorpio, Scorpio, zombie game, Destiny clone, Scorpio, timed exclusives, 180º on policies, Phantom Dust cancelled, Lionhead and Press Play shutdown, Scorpio.

Thanks PHIL!

At least he changes his shirts mid conference. You need the highest "expierence" to do that

hawk2025

I read these "feels like a PS2 game" impressions, and I suppose I don't get why I should play this instead of, say, Legend of Kay Remastered.

I'm not seeing how the other games relate to this.

This game has a story. Some people think that it's poorly done. If you put a story in your game, it's perfectly fair for it to be judged. What's the issue with that?

The has a story, but the story being bad does not make this a lesser game. Same way a good story won't make a bad game good.

But reviewers have this backwards. They are okay with a game having bad mechanics during gameplay which you have to endure to see the plot, but they think a bad story in a game that is completely focused on the gameplay takes away from the experience.

Now if Recore was a game that put emphasis on the story they might have a point, but it doesn't.

Chobel

The has a story, but the story being bad does not make this a lesser game. Same way a good story won't make a bad game good.

But reviewers have this backwards. They are okay with a game having bad mechanics during gameplay which you have to endure to see the plot, but they think a bad story in a game that is completely focused on the gameplay takes away from the experience.

Now if Recore was a game that put emphasis on the story they might have a point, but it doesn't.

What?

Granjinha

I'd be surprised if every decision of greenlighting a game didn't pass through Mattrick first and was his final word. But either way, the state of Microsoft first-party has been terrible since 2010 with the Kinect. It doesn't matter which leader is at fault the most, they both shit the bed hard and helped destroying the brand by creating this HaloGearsForza-only perception. And Spencer has done nothing to change this so far. He's been in a position to do something for over 2 years and all I've seen from him is Scorpio, Scorpio, zombie game, Destiny clone, Scorpio, timed exclusives, 180º on policies, Phantom Dust sent to limbo, a potentially great game rushed to market, Lionhead and Press Play shutdown, Scorpio.

Thanks PHIL!

sure it did, but it wasn't mattrick that went after these games in the first place

also, fucking lol @ zombie game and Destiny clone. State of Decay is awesome and it's great that we get a sequel with a nice budget behind it. Sea of Thieves also looks incredible.

to me your posts look like ramblings of someone who isn't getting things that fit their taste than actual reasonable critics. When they are reasonable critics they are behind a passive-agressive and sometimes full of nonsense thinking.

keep moving them goalposts tho

JaggedSac

You don't like the story? I think it's kinda neat.

But substantively this is meaningless. its like distinguishing between a Windows or OSX exclusive - no one really cares.

Well, I am not saying it is particularly useful, but it at least implies some of the capabilities of the purchase.

The Banjo and Mario elements are not what hurt reviews. None of those games require you to collect every star/jiggy to finish, have terrible pacing, end abruptly, are glitchy as fuck, or have huge loading times.

What I've seen from reviewers is "I like this gate system from Mario 64, but this is just ridiculous". The game requires you to do every single side mission to keep up with the requirements. It was clearly rushed to market. For what reason? It's Microsoft, you don't need a reason.
But it doesn't.

The last main story gate asks for 45 cores for what my friends told me. I just got the second robot and I'm already closing to 20. And I never went out of my way trying to find them, just completing the challenges that appear in the world, the dungeons and exploring my surroundings before advancing.

And I have seen many cores that I can't get yet, and many dungeons left to complete. I honestly can't see how I won't have all the cores by the game's end.

Both Mattrick era projects. Say what you will about that guy but both Sunset and Ori PLUS games like Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Crackdown, Phantom Dust (RIP), Quantum Break and Ryse were ALL greenlit when he was still the boss. Under Phil Spencer the only projects that got the go ahead (that we know, obviously) outside of HaloGearsForza were Sea of Thieves, ReCore and State of Decay 2. He's been in charge for TWO fucking years already.

Didn't Scalebound leaked by ntknrl right when the project was signed under Phil already?

I think Scalebound, Phanton Dust, Tomb Raider were all Phil already.

Like several games with poor scores with the media at large (NMS), I'll want to see for myself but at a much lower price. Things like long loading times and blatant fetch quest padding drive me nuts.

You don't like the story? I think it's kinda neat.
I haven't progressed much in the main story line actually, basing only on what the reviewers said.

But the game does not need more than a serviceable story really. The interaction between the girl and the robot, and the audio logs during gameplay give me enough of the story and imo better than cutscenes would.

Chris1

Didn't Scalebound leaked by ntknrl right when the project was signed under Phil already?

Yep project nagamo or something.

What was left of Mattrick is gone now, the last game was QB. Everything coming out now/shown this years E3 should be under Phil I think.

Chobel

As in th game is not anyrse for having a bad story.

Do you think Super Mario is worse just because the story is just some basic setting to get the gameplay going? I don't, same with Recore.

Simple story =/= bad story.

And it's not the same with with Recore. The main complaints about ReCore story is that it start off good but then goes to shit in the later parts of the game (Going by GiantBomb review)

Caayn

Not exclusive if you don't need one to play it.
xb1e33xaz.png

ps4eigz3s.png

Salty Hippo

Ntkrnl leaked it in January 2014. Spencer took over in April. Phantom Dust was announced in that year's E3 too so I doubt it was under Phil as the head.

Now Tomb Raider was a Phil thing alright... but to me that only shows he's not a good lead. Terrible business decision that didn't help the XB1 at all. And he's doing it again with Dead Rising 4.

munroe

Played a bit this morning, just played up to entering the crawler. Currently running on the game on my dell XPS 15:
960m
16Gb Memory
SSD drive
Some i7

Can run the game on high though I did encounter a few frame rate issues in that cutscene when you enter the crawler but then actually moving around the crawler was fine.

Controls with the mouse and keyboard are easy to use, lock on is snappy and easy to switch between enemies and to dodge incoming fire. So far, can't wait to play more

People complain about the animations but I like them, I like as other people mentioned being able to seamlessly transition from a dash to a double jump and then to another dash, I like how she clambers up and I like the little touch when you run over sand and Joule's footprints are left behind and then when you dash, a small wake is left in the sand

Simple story =/= bad story.

And it's not the same with with Recore. The main complaints about ReCore story is that it start off good but then goes to shit in the later parts of the game (Going by GiantBomb review)

My point is that most of your time with the time is not watching the story follow through... You go through tons of battles, challenges and dungeons to watch a less than one minute cutscene, and the game never takes control over you for cinematic moments.

So in the end who cares if the story is terrible? You probably spent about 5-10 minutes in cutscenes, the rest is all pure gameplay.

key word being "console". you don't need a ps4 or xbox one to play a console exclusive, because it implies it is only exclusive to the aforementioned console. pc is the other platform it can be played on. the only time it is a true exclusive is when it says, for example, xbox one exclusive or only on the playstation 4. wording, man. it means everything in pr.

Sydle

"Xbox Live exclusive" then. You need to access the Xbox store. That's how MS view it, at least. Although not exclusive to the actual box, MS views Xbox as a service, not just a box anymore.

This. MS has explicitly stated Xbox is a platform and they don't care if you buy on PC or on console.

This. MS has explicitly stated Xbox is a platform and they don't care if you buy on PC or on console.

Yeah I don't believe that. It much more profitable for them if you buy into Xbox console than just occasionally purchase a game from the Windows 10 Store. But for gamers who only play on PC and refuse to buy into consoles it is a good secondary strategy.

Ntkrnl leaked it in January 2014. Spencer took over in April. Phantom Dust was announced in that year's E3 too so I doubt it was under Phil as the head.

Now Tomb Raider was a Phil thing alright... but to me that only shows he's not a good lead. Terrible business decision that didn't help the XB1 at all. And he's doing it again with Dead Rising 4.

I read some old news to refresh my memory.

Phil indeed took over officially in April, but Don had left in the july prior, so even though we was not the boss at the time, he was probably overseeing these deals already.

And I don't think RoTTR was a bad deal, at least not when he signed. After seeing that response is easy to say it, but sony has managed to pull similar deals and be praised for them.

Sydle

Yeah I don't believe that. It much more profitable for them if you buy into Xbox console than just occasionally purchase a game from the Windows 10 Store. But for gamers who only play on PC and refuse to buy into consoles it is a good secondary strategy.

It's because the Microsoft CEO said he wants Xbox to help drive Windows appeal. It's why he said he wants their first-party and Live service to be one integrated play across PC, mobile, console, tablet, and even HoloLens.

Making things console exclusive has no part in Nadella's Microsoft.

Right now, yeah. but when all xbone games even from 3rd parties are available on the store that statement will probably be truer.

But yeah, I don't believe that ms never wants to sell Xboxes again, even if the margins are not that great on xbox the user can't buy from somewhere else.
Which is why Scorpio won't be higher than $400

Zedox

These are some great and helpful reviews.

m12HO8V.png

There are also reviews of people giving 1/5 because they can't download the game (when they most likely don't have the anniversary update) it goes both ways. But I definitely noticed it and was like...wth people.

Thanks PHIL!

I have no horse in this fight but State of Decay 2 isn't just a zombie game, it's the sequel to the best zombie game IMO.

Also even though the overall lineup doesn't fit my taste they tried to branch out (albeit a lot of them half assed attempt) with Project Spark, Killer Instinct, Screamride, ReCore, Gigantic, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, D4 and Ori.

Out of those, SO, ReCore and Ryse are/were supposed to be new franchise for them but Crytek unwillingness to sell the IP and SO low sales prevented them from doing that.

Windows 10 is an Xbox device? Okay lol.

Since the Xbox One is a Windows 10 device, kind of?

Thanks PHIL!

Can I ask what consoles you own?

It actually IS exclusive to Xbox. You need an Xbox device to play it. :shrug:

I don't really understand *shrug* emoji that people have been using. It means "I don't know any better"?

MS turn PC into Win10 device, then they turn XBO into Win10 device. There is no such thing as "Xbox device" anymore.

Top Bottom