• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

onQ123

I thought this would get better scores but the good thing is that the scores are all over the place so it still might be a good game but just not for everyone.

I can't believe this is still an argument. That part is amazing and shows just how fucking good exploration, level design and secrets are in Metroid Prime.

So amazing that I gave up on the game because of the tediousness of those last few hours :)
Seriously, most people don't like backtracking / going over previously explored territory numerous times.

This would be a good idea were it not for the fact that publications select which games they want to review. There are hundreds of Big Rigs level games released every year that will never get reviewed, that's what is skewing the usage of the scale. If every single game was reviewed and we found that reviewers never used 0-5 you'd have a point.

That makes even less sense. Why pretend awful games don't exist when picking what games to review, but acknowledge them quantitatively on your review scale? Either acknowledge them all the way and review them as well, or erase themselves from your reality for good and average your scale accordingly.

Also, let's not fool ourselves, most gaming sites pretend indie games, even very good indie games, don't exist outside of games already booming virally (FTL, Minecraft, Spelunky, Undertale, etc.) which also excludes all the Big Rigs type games. They focus on AAA games and review them all, terrible or good, so weighting their scales by anything else is absurd.

Ridley327

Oh no, the Metroid Prime guy has taken the worst parts of Prime and made them mandatory in this game. Hunting for 45 lost core parts sounds just like power cell quests.

To be fair, you only needed five power cells to beat Prime 3, and they hand you four during normal progression. You only needed the other four if you wanted 100% items and scans.

The reviewers who gave the game medicore / bad scores thought that too...for the first few hours or upto the second half of the game or thereabouts.
I suggest you and the others in that OP should finish the game first before proclaiming the games 'greatness'.

I'm over ten hours into the game.  Having to get the rest of the prismatic cores in order to do the end-game isn't going to change my opinion one tiny bit.  The things the reviewers are cutting the review scores over the most are the weird pacing (having to go back to the crawler), load times, and having to grind/collect prismatic cores.  I've already experienced all three of those things and I think the game is great. My most recent boss fight was one of the best boss fights I've encountered in ANY game, let alone any 3rd person open-world adventure game.

Have you even played it?  Or are you just vomiting back up nonsense you're hearing from your favorite reviewers?

O.K bumping thread because of a review that a lot of people were waiting on has just been published:

Giant Bomb scores the game 2/5:

'ReCore offers a lighthearted, fun first few hours, but all that promise is quickly buried in a torrent of bugs and oversights, poor storytelling, and disjointed pacing that all make the game a pale shadow of what it could have been.'

I know people were mentioning Brad enjoying the game in his streams. But just like most reviewers he stopped enjoying it the more the game went on. Pacing more than the technical issues, seems to be the games biggest failing.

edit: And to the person above - calm down. The purpose of this thread is to talk about reviews written by games journalists and your opinion is no more valid than theirs. You know, just like any other review thread, some people will go against the professional games media opinion. I've seen this happening with many games, especially exclusives.
'The Order 1886', 'No Mans Sky' and hell even 'Knack' are examples of what I'm talking about. If I were to go with Gaf's opinion every time I would have missed out some great games (Uncharted 3, Bioshock Infinite, GTA IV) which are generally disliked here. On the flip side I would have probably avoided playing something like 'The Order 1886' which although not a 'bad' game is still closer to what the reviewers described than what GAF at the time did in that games OT thread.

Salty Hippo

Microsoft clearly rushed the product to market. It's so baffling considering:

1. How important first impressions are for the success of a new IP. There are many good things about the concept, characters and world of this game and it had so much potential to become a quality franchise going forward. Now it's pretty much dead in the water because no doubt the reviews will hurt sales.

2. How they didn't need this game releasing in 2016 at all. It would have made no difference to give it an extra year to actually finish it. It would have a more costly development sure, but you would certainly end up with a quality, finished product instead.

They clearly didn't give a shit. People get mad when others bring up the HaloGearsForza thing, but Microsoft clearly doesn't care about anything outside those 3 IPs. It's fucking depressing.

But All Hail Phil Spencer I guess.

m23

I'm still very early on in the game, enjoying it for the most part so far. I like how joule controls, very precise and nimble.

I've noticed quite a few glitches however and they really take you out of the experience. Loading times haven't bothered me much so far, but I'm still early on in the game.

I really like the idea behind this game, and the music is exceptional. I just hope Microsoft sticks with this franchise and helps it grow. I think it can become a good franchise with some work.

GiantBomb - 2/5

It would be so much easier to dismiss ReCore if it were just a bad game in every respect, but the sad reality is that taken individually, every one of the game's design elements shows thoughtfulness and craft. The combat, platforming, crafting and customization, even the parts of the story that work were clearly built with care and seem like they'll amount to a really engaging game with a lovable cast of characters and an intriguing world, but the game's rampant problems are just impossible to look past. This game deserved to be so much more.

OpenCritic - 60

Salt because they were comparing one aspect? (long load times)

If anyone here is salty... well, I'm not even going to get involved with THAT nonsense. But that post makes your mindset painfully obvious.

Bloodborne was a great game (bolded so you don't ignore this statement). Not game of the generation, IMO, as that title belongs to Ori (which was on Steam too, so you can't say I'm just an "xbot" or whatever). But it was definitely a great game.

The sad thing is ReCore is a great game too. It's not quite up to bloodborne's level of polish, but it's a fantastic adventure game and I'm personally loving it. I really, REALLY think the reviewers giving it such massively negative scores either a) were trying to rush through the game super fast just so they could get their review out while 'the iron is hot'; b) don't have any clue what this game's trying to do, and are overly penalizing it because of only one real shortcoming (the asinine load times); or c) just plain suck at the game, and weren't able to get as many prismatic cores as the average gamers (most of whom have positive opinions of the game) during the normal course of play and doing some of the challenge dungeons.
The game is amazing and from what I played so far the pacing issues are indeed just a problem if you rush or are just terrible at the game. However, the game really lacks polish, in the first 5 minutes of the game I've entered the floor 3 times, and 3 friends of mine already got game breaking bugs where they can't finish a story quest. (tip, do not leave the game in the middle of a quest, apparently when you come back in the middle of it, the game often go back one objective that you can't complete because it's already done nor it will give you your next objective).

But I still think giving 4/10 or even 6 to this game is pure bullshit. This is a fantastic game that is very close to being an absolute master piece, the issues do prevent it from reaching this status, but it still a solid game that reviewers shit for whatever reason.

Edit: And the worst are the reviews that say the story is an example of a huge flaw. God, I hate this non sensical praise games with terrible gameplay but "good" stories get whereas games with well crafted gameplay that have the story as a after thought get what on. I don't mean pure story games like telltale, LiS or Until Dawn. But games that have you doing a bad mechanic most of the time and just so happens to have a greater focus on history.

Edit: And the worst are the reviews that say the story is an example of a huge flaw. God, I hate this non sensical praise games with terrible gameplay but "good" stories get whereas games with well crafted gameplay that have the story as a after thought get what on. I don't mean pure story games like telltale, LiS or Until Dawn. But games that have you doing a bad mechanic most of the time and just so happens to have a greater focus on history.
I'm not seeing how the other games relate to this.

This game has a story. Some people think that it's poorly done. If you put a story in your game, it's perfectly fair for it to be judged. What's the issue with that?

Microsoft clearly rushed the product to market. It's so baffling considering:

1. How important first impressions are for the success of a new IP. There are many good things about the concept, characters and world of this game and it had so much potential to become a quality franchise going forward. Now it's pretty much dead in the water because no doubt the reviews will hurt sales.

2. How they didn't need this game releasing in 2016 at all. It would have made no difference to give it an extra year to actually finish it. It would have a more costly development sure, but you would certainly end up with a quality, finished product instead.

They clearly didn't give a shit. People get mad when others bring up the HaloGearsForza thing, but Microsoft clearly doesn't care about anything outside those 3 IPs. It's fucking depressing.

But All Hail Phil Spencer I guess.
Lol

Ori and the Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive were both fantastic games and didn't seem rushed at all.

Is Shiggy talking about what you're referring to, or the fact that MS has a good enough lineup of exclusives this fall (DR4, FH3, G4) that ReCore could had used more time in the oven?

Ori and the Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive were both fantastic games and didn't seem rushed at all.

I don't think it is from a lack effort, but they are having a very hard time producing a new AAA IP that performs well enough to get a sequel. This is stretching back to last generation.

Noobcraft

I don't think it is from a lack effort, but they are having a very hard time producing a new AAA IP that performs well enough to get a sequel. This is stretching back to last generation.
Yeah, but it's not just them either. Nintendo seems to be able to do it fairly well, but there hasn't been a lot of successful new IP this generation outside of stuff with absolutely huge marketing campaigns like Destiny or The Division. Rocket League is probably one of the bigger surprises this gen.

Shiggy

Sorry, didn't particularly refer to the quality. Meant that Microsoft doesn't really care about much apart from Forza, Halo, and Gears. All other games seemingly just get dumped into the market without much fanfare or success. It seems as if they don't really want to spend much money on anything else than those three franchises.

So without spoilers, is the endgame as bad as reviewers have said?

Think of Mario 3D games and Banjo Kazooie. You know how you need more Stars or Puzzle pieces to access later levels?

Now with that in mind, ReCore is good if you plan on exploring and doing side dungeons as often as you can.

Menitta

Think of Mario 3D games and Banjo Kazooie. You know how you need more Stars or Puzzle pieces to access later levels?

Now with that in mind, ReCore is good if you plan on exploring and doing side dungeons as often as you can.

See, that's my problem with the game so far. It's when the places you explore are more or less the same as the last place you were. 3D Mario games and Banjo managed to get around that because there were so many different places to go. Recore is like going to a bunch of areas that all look like Bob-Omb Battlefield. There's either a desert with tech in it or a crystal cave with tech in it. I've played about 4-5 hours of it, and that's all I've seen so far.

I played for a little bit last night and finished the first dungeon and felt like the game is fantastic. If the game really does fall of a cliff after a few hours then that would be a real shame. I'm playing on PC so load times have not been an issue for me.

One thing that has been a disappointment from all the footage I've seen is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of variety to the environments. I hope there's more to the environment design than what I've seen so far

See, that's my problem with the game so far. It's when the places you explore are more or less the same as the last place you were. 3D Mario games and Banjo managed to get around that because there were so many different places to go. Recore is like going to a bunch of areas that all look like Bob-Omb Battlefield. There's either a desert with tech in it or a crystal cave with tech in it. I've played about 4-5 hours of it, and that's all I've seen so far.

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about

Salty Hippo

The Banjo and Mario elements are not what hurt reviews. None of those games require you to collect every star/jiggy to finish, have terrible pacing, end abruptly, are glitchy as fuck, or have huge loading times.

What I've seen from reviewers is "I like this gate system from Mario 64, but this is just ridiculous". The game requires you to do every single side mission to keep up with the requirements. It was clearly rushed to market. For what reason? It's Microsoft, you don't need a reason.

Both Mattrick era projects. Say what you will about that guy but both Sunset and Ori PLUS games like Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Crackdown, Phantom Dust (RIP), Quantum Break and Ryse were ALL greenlit when he was still the boss. Under Phil Spencer the only projects that got the go ahead (that we know, obviously) outside of HaloGearsForza were Sea of Thieves, ReCore and State of Decay 2. He's been in charge for TWO fucking years already.

KingBroly

Banned
Both Mattrick era projects. People give him a lot of shit but both Sunset and Ori PLUS games like Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Crackdown, Phantom Dust (RIP), Quantum Break and Ryse were ALL greenlit when he was still the boss. Under Phil Spencer the only projects that got the go ahead (that we know, obviously) outside of HaloGearsForza were Sea of Thieves, ReCore and State of Decay 2. He's been in charge for TWO fucking years already.

These things, take time. It's going to take a while for stuff he greenlights to come out.

Salty Hippo

These things, take time. It's going to take a while for stuff he greenlights to come out.

We know that both SoT and Recore were greenlit some time around late 2014. And both were announced in June 2015. There's a gaping hole there of an entire year of stuff that was supposedly greenlit in 2015 and that should have been announced at this year's E3, but all we got was State of Decay 2. And even that thing is a safe as fuck sequel considering how much the first one sold.

Either Microsoft is completely cutting back on taking risks with software, or they are being extremely careful not to announce things potentially too early. Next E3 will tell us which one is the case. I have a feeling it's the former and the focus will be all on Scorpio's power with first party being sidelined once again.

Granjinha

The Banjo and Mario elements are not what hurt reviews. None of those games require you to collect every star/jiggy to finish, have terrible pacing, end abruptly, are glitchy as fuck, or have huge loading times.

What I've seen from reviewers is "I like this gate system from Mario 64, but this is just ridiculous". The game requires you to do every single side mission to keep up with the requirements. It was clearly rushed to market. For what reason? It's Microsoft, you don't need a reason.

Both Mattrick era projects. Say what you will about that guy but both Sunset and Ori PLUS games like Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Crackdown, Phantom Dust (RIP), Quantum Break and Ryse were ALL greenlit when he was still the boss. Under Phil Spencer the only projects that got the go ahead (that we know, obviously) outside of HaloGearsForza were Sea of Thieves, ReCore and State of Decay 2. He's been in charge for TWO fucking years already.

well, he was responsible for greenlighting all of those (and giving more time to Ori too) though, since he was the president of microsoft first party publishing

i mean

just think a bit before posting you know, i understand you're always mad and all but a lot of what you post doesn't even make sense

also, i actually agree that ReCore could have gotten more time and didn't need to actually launch this year considering we have forza and gears 4 in a span of two months, and i don't give a fuck about phil really, but he WAS the first party guy when mattrick was president and i'm pretty sure he was one of the responsibles for stuff like Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, etc.

and i also (look!) agree that MS lacks in investment of continuing other franchises, like sunset overdrive, for example, which clearly could go on because of the fanfare and critics opinions. They did greenlight a bunch of other sequels, though, like Crackdown 3 and Ori 2 (which already leaked), so who knows

but you have to credit where it's due. :p

Ds2 is the best game ever created by human hands. But, Out of all the games that came out thus year. This junky weird ass game has my award for goty.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but DS1 and DS3 are so much better than DS2 that i can't believe that someone actually thinks that DS2 is better

worse gameplay, shitty lore, bad bosses.. The list goes on

it's still a great game though!

You mean since the beginning.

As someone who had an original Xbox that Gen and has come back to collecting games recently Microsoft published a ton of games that mostly got mediocre reviews and where in every genre imaginable. Remember those few years where they made a sports game for every single sport? They gave Nightcaster a sequel

The fraction of games they publish that get sequels is surprisingly low compared to Sony and Nintendo overall.

I still really want a Blinx 3.

Markoman

Do some of you remember the times when list warriors were doing their thing on Gaf, teasing each other with games that were still far away? Funny how the majority of them ended up being mediocre at best: Recore, NMS, Quantum Break, The order....

Exclusive ass

Do some of you remember the times when list warriors were doing their thing on Gaf, teasing each other with games that were still far away? Funny how the majority of them ended up being mediocre at best: Recore, NMS, Quantum Break, The order....

Exclusive ass

The only one on that list that is exclusive is The Order 1886.

Discusguy

I was going to buy this game this weekend but I'll wait for patches to fix the bug before I buy.

The double edge sword of modern gaming

timberger

I've played some of the game now and I'm thinking I maybe should have canned my preorder when I had the chance. Game ain't too hot... loading times might be shitty but they're far from the biggest issue with the game. If it doesn't pick up I'll probably see about trading for Bioshock Collection come monday. Been a bad year for MS exclusives, that's for sure.

Also, lmao at the ongoing complaints and implications about reviewers being "wrong" about the game. Usually in gaf review threads when posters start acting like that the thread ends up drowning in posters dropping in to call such posters out or attempt to 'shame' them in some fashion... but there's not so much of that happening in here despite this thread being pretty damn bad for that... how odd.

Bloodborne salt spilling over into such an irrelevant thread is embarassing btw. Plenty of games around with worse loading times than that that would have made more sense to use as a point of comparison here but of course we all know why this one was singled out.

As long as ReCore isn't published outside the boundaries of the W10 store (= on Steam), I have no problem calling it an XBOX exlusive title.

JaggedSac

Two things for me would have put this game into my game of year list. Fixing the fucking load times and letting me swap my crew around in the world(as in more than just two, and be able to swap cores around). I really enjoy the story, I enjoy the gameplay, I enjoy the loot, I enjoy the progression. I mean, playing the game is what I enjoy and playing the game to grab more prismatic cores is not an issue for me. I actually enjoy that. What isn't enjoyable, is when I get into a fight and without noticing I run into another mob and the first thing I think is "fuck, I'm about to have to wait for two minutes for the game to reload after I die". That is shit. The rest of the game jank bothers me pretty much zero.

Such a damn shame MS didn't let this one have a bit more time for polish. Could have been their next big franchise. Short sightedness. Such a damn shame.

Reckheim

As long as ReCore isn't published outside the boundaries of the W10 store (= on Steam), I have no problem calling it an XBOX exlusive title.
Don't own an Xbox. I can buy it today if I wanted to on my pc. It's not an Xbox exclusive.

Just like nms isn't an exclusive

I really like the idea behind this game, and the music is exceptional. I just hope Microsoft sticks with this franchise and helps it grow. I think it can become a good franchise with some work.

I highly doubt this is going to become a franchise. I mean review wise it's poor for a start. Hard to come back from a less than stellar first entry (although not impossible), but the sales will put paid to any further ones. They are going to be absolutely terrible I feel.

I don't think this was ever set up for more than one either. It was just there to try and make the line up more diverse outside of the usual 3 franchises rather than a promising new series. It wasn't if the game had a big budget or a big push either.

Haven't tried Ori, but will get to it eventually and it looks amazing. But being a huge fan of Insomniac Sunset was easily the biggest disappointment for me in this gen.

The game screams "we didn't feel like trying", when the novelty of the traversal has worn off. Disgustingly bad writing and voice acting, and the attempted "jokes" are delivered as well as the Pokemon joke on Hillary's speech (or any joke she attempts). You may have liked it, but it's an ok game at best.

But back to the subject: still curious about this game and might pick it up eventually. At least it's something different.

JaggedSac

Sunset was an utterly fantastic video game. Had a blast going back and playing recently after getting the season pass on sale. One of the best surprises for me this gen.

poodaddy

I'm noticing that review scores on games are much more divisive than they used to be and I think that's probably a good thing. I don't know, the game looks like it might scratch some kind of itch I've got. Ill probably pick it up in about a year for pretty cheap.

Menitta

Haven't tried Ori, but will get to it eventually and it looks amazing. But being a huge fan of Insomniac Sunset was easily the biggest disappointment for me in this gen.

The game screams "we didn't feel like trying", when the novelty of the traversal has worn off. Disgustingly bad writing and voice acting, and the attempted "jokes" are delivered as well as the Pokemon joke on Hillary's speech (or any joke she attempts). You may have liked it, but it's an ok game at best.

But back to the subject: still curious about this game and might pick it up eventually. At least it's something different.

Humor is subjective, but Sunset Overdrive was definitely much more polished and had better design decisions than Recore.

Top Bottom