• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Desiging Castlevania: Harmony Of Despair

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/15/koji-igarashi-desiging-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/

The Belmonts are having a family reunion on Xbox 360. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, an Xbox 360 game, brings together the vampire hunters from the Castlevania series in a single 2D side scroller. Players can hunt Dracula together in an online cooperative story mode or hunt each other in survival mode.

Koji Igarashi, best known for his work on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, designed this downloadable Castlevania game. Ah, so this is what Igarashi has been quietly working on since Castlevania: Judgement.

Look for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair this summer when Microsoft releases it during their Summer of Arcade.

Kayhan

Poor Iga. I wonder if he will be allowed to make a Metroidvania for 3DS. I would love that. Make it hard like Ecclasia.

The 360 game above I am probably going to pass on.

Oh, Iga, you plum.

Maybe one day, Konami will actually give him a decent budget to do something worthwhile with the series. Ah, who am I kidding - they'd be happy to get the janitor to oversee it while they fuck off to reskin another game...

Retro

Kayhan said:
Poor Iga.
ShockingAlberto said:
Even if you don't like Iga, you have to feel bad for someone to become so marginalized.
Y2Kev said:
C-Jo said:
Shameful. Poor guy.

Holy shit, have you people SEEN Castlevania Judgment, let alone played it? If IGA is working on versions of Castlevania for non-smart phones in a broom closet in the basement of Konami HQ, he should still consider himself lucky.

I love Castlevania, but IGA's work was slightly above average at best before Judgment. After? Well, here's the results.

Tokubetsu

ShockingAlberto said:
He's been getting progressively smaller budgets, so he's had to make due.

Supposedly this one is sub-$10,000 for everything, including labor.

Well maybe he shouldn't have dug himself into this hole in the first place.

Tokubetsu said:
Well maybe he shouldn't have dug himself into this hole in the first place.
I'm not arguing he doesn't deserve it. Whether I think he does or doesn't, I'll leave out of this conversation.

I'm saying absent of that opinion, I feel bad for anyone whose career gets so utterly emasculated. Just fire the guy, don't kick him in the balls repeatedly.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
Even if you don't like Iga, you have to feel bad for someone to become so marginalized.

Can you really feel bad for a guy who did more to "reap what he sowed"?

He had control of the franchise for the better portion of a decade. He couldn't deliver on the definitive 3D game that Konami needed the series to have, and he had not one, but two chances to attempt at such.

The CV series certainly has been in other hands before, and I think it's about time that IGA's is at an end.

Socreges

Banned
TreIII said:
Can you really feel bad for a guy who did more to "reap what he sowed"?

He had control of the franchise for the better portion of a decade. He couldn't deliver on the definitive 3D game that Konami needed the series to have, and he had not one, but two chances to attempt at such.

The CV series certainly has been in other hands before, and I think it's about time that IGA's is at an end.
Yep.

I don't think we'd give a shit about the guy if it weren't for the fact that it's so much fun saying "IGA".

I dunno...I'm honestly thinking I'll probably enjoy this a lot more than the big new 3D God of War-alike. I don't care about it not being flashy cool and new-looking. I like my Castlevanias tiled and retro-looking 2D just fine. Crossing my fingers about the game being fun and Castlevania-like.

LiK

iga_blog.jpg

Ridley327

Blaming IGA ignores a much larger problem in that Konami had ample opportunity over the past decade to "wrest it away from his hands" to "give it the treatment is so clearly deserves" and yet it was very nearly completely ignored. I don't care who you are, but that's incompetence on a scale that even the most ardent IGA hater can't pin to him.

That being said, Castlevania: Hunter of Monster looks hella dumb.

poor IGA? Poor gamers who had to be subjected to his shitty 3D game making attempts. Let this hack continue doing the only thing he's good at.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I hate IGA just as much as all of you....and I wanted him pulled from Castlevania (particularly in 3D). But not like this. Anything but this :(

Boot him back to Tokimeki

Ridley327 said:
Blaming IGA ignores a much larger problem in that Konami had ample opportunity over the past decade to "wrest it away from his hands" to "give it the treatment is so clearly deserves" and yet it was very nearly completely ignored. I don't care who you are, but that's incompetence on a scale that even the most ardent IGA hater can't pin to him.

Yeah - it's not like Iga has been holding the damn series in a basement somewhere. Konami have been in a position for years to move it to someone else.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I played HoD today. It's good! Feels weird playing a 2D Castlevania with an Xbox controller though... I'm very used to the GBA/DS.

The demo is limited to 10 minutes and the booth guy said I was the only person all day to beat the boss within the time limit. *flex*

I adore the 2D Metroidvania games, they're awesome. What's with the hate?

Is it because of the 3D games? I never played those, they never interested me at all.

Beth Cyra

To me this is really sad that they have done this to him. For me he has made the series far better then it ever was.

I don't buy into it ever being a true mainstream franchise, that is more hyperbole then him being the cause of it tanking.

SoTN, Aria, Dawn, Order, DXC have all been postively amazing games and I have been hoping ever since what looked like the Alucard game being scarped he would be working on a 3DS game but it seems as though that won't happen.

Shame really.

Oh and i find it crazy that some people are acting like he ran it into the ground and there was nothing that Konami could do to stop him. More like he did it best to keep it alive while Konami let it go and sucked of Hideo Kojima and whatever project he wanted.

Boney

Banned
Ridley327 said:

Beat me to it.

Nessus

Wait, so there is a story mode? Does this mean it actually is a multiplayer Metroidvania and not just boss rush crap? Hope it has local multiplayer.

If so, I'll be playing this on a soon-to-be mine 360 "slim".

Ridley327 said:
At least they're solving that problem now. IGA had his chances and couldn't get away from the cut and paste formula (even in 3D). I just hope the new MercurySteam one turns out awesome because the franchise deserves relevancy.

revolverjgw said:
An eye for an eye... the Castlevania series was marginalized. This is only fair.
I suppose IGA's to blame for the marginalization of Contra, Gradius, and Suikoden as well.

I'm not saying IGA did positive things for Castlevania's status, but people blaming him for the series being niche are ignoring the fact that Konami basically decided to funnel the entire company into Kojipro several years back.

It's little surprise that the only chance one of their classic franchises is getting at being pushed by Konami is as a result of Kojipro taking an interest.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Retro said:
Holy shit, have you people SEEN Castlevania Judgment, let alone played it? If IGA is working on versions of Castlevania for non-smart iPhones in a broom closet in the basement of Konami HQ, he should still consider himself lucky.

I love Castlevania, but IGA's work was slightly above average at best before Judgment. After? Well, here's the results.
Why? I highly doubt they even expect Iga to succeed.

They built an MGS factory up in sacrifice to the rest of their development teams. I mean what new IPs have they really back this gen? Or old classic ones? It's not like anyone in the company outside of Kojima was given a legitimate chance to succeed.

You can blame the dude for sure, but it's not hard to see that Konami has been doing nothing but digging themselves a hole. For the company that use to be Capcom's rival, they are pretty much irrelevant outside 1, maybe 2 times a year(Their annual ProEvo release and if they have a major MGS title)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alas. "Despair" is the key word here.
This will honestly be the first time a new 2D CV makes me cringe.
Fuck.

Top Bottom