• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Castlevania - the 15 canonical games

StarPhlox

Over the past couple of years I have been fascinated by the Castlevania series and played through almost all of the games from the official timeline (and a few other great titles that are either gaiden or non-canonical such as Super Castlevania IV, Chronicles, and Circle of the Moon).

With the franchise experiencing somewhat of a renaissance (at least in mindshare if not actual games due to the Netflix series) I thought it may be fun to talk about how it was playing through many of these for the first time recently.

Lament of Innocence (1094 A.D.)

Downloaded this one on PSN as the first 3D Castlevania I've ever played and it was off to a good start before my PS3 got a YLOD. Currently in the shop but should be back tomorrow. I like what I've played of this and I'm excited to finish it out hopefully by the end of this week! It is cheesy and unfortunately has a fixed camera which I think doesn't work in its favor. At the same time, I like Leon Belmont and it actually feels like a Castlevania game! Also some real gems in the OST ("House of Sacred Remains" anybody?).

LamentOfInnocence.jpg

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (1476 A.D.)

This is near the top of the pile in terms of quality. The soundtrack (particularly the Famicom version) is a masterpiece. I find this to be without a doubt the most challenging of all the Castlevania games, but ultimately it is rewarding and memorable. Branching paths and multiple different playable protagonists greatly increase the replay value of III. It's probably not the game I would tell people new to the series to start with (even if it is what the Netflix adaptation is based off of) unless they're already hardcore 2D action game fans.

asdasdasdasdasd.png

Curse of Darkness (1479 A.D.)

Grabbed this one two weeks ago from the local used game store and I'm really excited to finally dive in right after I polish off Lament of Innocence. This will be the final game in the franchise I get to and I've heard...mixed things.
maxresdefault.jpg

Castlevania: The Adventure (1576 A.D.)

This is without a doubt the worst game in this entire playthrough. It's mercifully quite short (I finished in well under an hour) but despite its short length it still feels like a slog. I remember enjoying it alright as a child, but revisiting it as an adult it leaves very little reason to play it. Pretty nice music for Game Boy, but the actual feel is sluggish to a painful degree.

maxresdefault.jpg

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (1591 A.D.)

An incredible step-up in quality from the first game on Game Boy! The music and art assets are great and it's frankly right up there with the NES games. You can choose from one of four levels (kinda like a Mega Man game) before being funneled into the final couple of stages (also like a Mega Man game)! There's really nothing wrong with Belmont's Revenge at all and I think anyone who's a fan of the series would do well to check this one out! Too bad that The Adventure got a competent remake and this one didn't. Oh well. It's not too late for Belmont's Revenge R on Switch, Konami!

maxresdefault.jpg

Castlevania (1691 A.D.)

Would you believe that the first game in the series still holds up beautifully today? Yes you probably would because you saw that Egoraptor video a few years ago. Well it's true! The graphics? Gorgeous! The music? Iconic! The gameplay? Incredibly tight! It's a hard game but one that feels, by and large, quite fair! Castlevania set the stage for the entire rest of the franchise and I would argue of all the major franchises launched on NES (to include Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, and Metroid) this has remained the best start.

castlevania-wall.jpg

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (1698 A.D.)

Simon's Quest is unfairly maligned! I've played through it a few times now and while it is assuredly improved in the *REDACTED* version it is still eminently playable in its original incarnation. You all know "Bloody Tears" as THE song of the series and it had some really cool innovations that went on to be staples of the franchise. While day/night cycles never made it back to the series (as far as I know), the RPG elements and non-linear progression assuredly did. Simon's Quest has so many problems, but I think they're easy enough to overlook consider how fun it is.

maxresdefault.jpg

Harmony of Dissonance (1748 A.D.)

Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but without a doubt the weakest of the 7 IGAvanias (if we include Circle of the Moon) for several reasons. Firstly, the music sounds very poor especially in a series that is known for its tunes. Secondly, the art style is garish as hell with gigantic (albeit well meaning) outlines. Finally, the difficulty does not come from the combat at all but rather the confusing layout of the castle. I really struggled to navigate and that dampened my enjoyment.

SI_WiiUVC_CastlevaniaHarmonyOfDissonance.jpg

Rondo of Blood (1792 A.D.)

Of the 'classic' style of Castlevania, I would argue that Rondo of Blood is the peak of what is possible. Richter's movement is so fast, fluid, and fun! And for those who find the game too difficult as Richter the game's difficulty can be cut in half by playing as the mighty Maria Renard. Branching pathways, beautiful art and music, and responsive and exciting gameplay are key to making Rondo the pinnacle of what Castlevania could be. The remake is nice, but I prefer the assets of the original. I love it!

91U6gDBj4TL.jpg

Symphony of the Night (1797 A.D.)

Don't know what could be said about SOTN that hasn't been said better already. It is a true classic and I would say it's among the greatest games ever made. At the same time, I think that some of the CV games that came in its wake are actually superior despite how special SOTN itself is. Regardless, it is easily my personal top 5 Castlevania games and probably the best entry point for the series for literally anybody.

castlevania-symphony-1024x749.jpg.jpg

Order of Ecclesia (18XX A.D.)

And here we have secretly the best Castlevania game that was ever and probably will ever be made: Order of Ecclesia. I finished my first playthrough of this game a few weeks ago and I am still reeling from it. The story is in some ways more intimate as there are fewer major players around but you eventually discover the bigger piece that Shanoa and the Order of Ecclesia play in the overall arc of the Castlevania story. Shanoa herself is an incredible protagonist and has the most fun gameplay of any character in the series. The music is beautiful and the art is absolutely breathtaking. It relies on no gimmicks from the touchscreen, but the map and inventory stuff is useful. OOE marries the best of both worlds as it has portions that are linear and portions that are what one would expect from a Metroidvania including
the most impressive Dracula's Castle of the franchise
. I could go on and on about why I love OOE so much from the sidequests to the villagers to the different powers you acquire to the fun exploration of areas and abilities. It's perfect. Please give it a shot if you haven't!

maxresdefault.jpg

Bloodlines (1917 A.D.)

Bloodlines really caught me off guard and I wish it was more accessible because it deserves to receive more attention and accolades than it did. This was the first time that Castlevania was a global adventure as you found yourself as either Eric LeCarde or John Morris traveling throughout the world to fight Dracula yet again. Bloodlines has the strange aesthetic that one could only really ever get on a Genesis console and for that it truly stands out as unique. It is a surprisingly dark and violent game and one of the most unsettling of the franchise. Why has it not been ported to everything?!

maxresdefault.jpg

Portrait of Ruin (1944 A.D.)

Portrait is the first game I played of the DS trilogy and I would say the lowlight. Nothing particularly remarkable or memorable about it. What am I missing here?

1-castlevaniaportraitofruin-01.jpg

Aria of Sorrow (2035 A.D.)

The final two games of the Castlevania timeline are the only ones set in the future and as such they have a coolly futuristic feel to them and a more anime aesthetic that rubbed some people (not me) the wrong way. Aria is another favorite of mine and while it's kind of an easy game I love Soma as a protagonist and the cast in general (looking at you "Genya Arikado"). The boss fights are exciting and memorable and while there is some nonsense to make sure you get the true ending, it is a game more or less without blemish and the best handheld Castlevania prior to Order of Ecclesia.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dawn of Sorrow (2036 A.D.)

Not quite the revelation that Aria of Sorrow was due to a) stylus boss sealing and b) feeling like a retread of Aria more than a sequel, but still easily a top 5 Castlevania game. I adore Dawn of Sorrow and it is a beautiful way to finish the end of the timeline much like how MGS4 gave a conclusion to the Metal Gear timeline. Dawn of Sorrow has gorgeous sprites and soundtrack and was only hampered really by not diversifying itself enough as a direct follow up to AOS and of course by shoehorning in the touchscreen. Beyond that, it's nearly perfect.

2194582-dawn_sorrow_redux.jpg

Ahasverus

Congratulations to the Castlevania widows club. Grab your handkerchief over there and sit down in mournful silence.

nynt9

Good thread, and I mostly agree with your perspective! It's one of my favorite franchises and OOE is the best. As for portrait, you're not missing anything. It's just not good.

Malvingt2

And here we have secretly the best Castlevania game that was ever and probably will ever be made: Order of Ecclesia

damn straight.... the game is just amazing.

Ahasverus

You left out The Adventure Rebirth, BTW, which replaces the original Adventure.
Yes Order of Ecclesia is stunning. Very underrated within the franchise. Love and miss Castlevania on the whole.
I think the fanbase considers it, at the least, the best of the Igavanias (not counting SOTN because, 1- it's a classic, and 2- it wasn't made by Iga completely.

kikiribu

And here we have secretly the best Castlevania game that was ever and probably will ever be made: Order of Ecclesia.

No that's still Symphony of the Night but I'll give OOE second place.

Great thread. Haven't played many games in the series so tons of new stuff in here for me to read.

I really wish we'd see a re-release of Order of Ecclesia. That game doesn't deserve to be stuck on a 2 gen old handheld, it's so damn good.

Astral Dog

Good thread, and I mostly agree with your perspective! It's one of my favorite franchises and OOE is the best. As for portrait, you're not missing anything. It's just not good.
Loved Portrait but it needed another 6 months in the oven, the characters are more entertaining (compared to Ecclesia), the soundtrack is Godly and has the best gameplay of the DS games with the partner system its a rough diamond 💎

Jazz and funky brasses in my Castlevania? Gtfoh
And most of its great tracks are older tracks anyway. Honestly Order of Ecclesia is the only handheld Castlevania with an impressive score. One of the largest, most varied and creative in the whole franchise.

jett

D-Member
So what has Alucard been doing in the 300 years between Dracula's Curse and Symphony of the Night?

Wanderer5

Oh, Circle of the Moon is not canon?

Anyway great post. I am a fan of the series through the Igavania titles (with Drcaula X Chronicles pretty much being the only classic style CV title that I actually went through), and I really like most of them. Aria of Sorrow is probably my favorite, cause I really like the premise, and it just really stuck with me the most.

Neptonic

Of what I played of OoE I was super impressed. Fuckin solid game.

And I agree with rondo being the peak of the classicvanias

Nice to see OoE get recognized by everyone. I feel like people were fatigued of Igavania when it came out and there is a few very loud Iga haters on this site that kind of ruined the threads back in the day. I need to track down a DSi XL so I can play it in its native res again.

Magnus

Didn't know OoE had critical/fan acclaim. Was mistakenly under the impression that it all took a dive after Dawn of Sorrow. Cool!

Maedhros

Order of Ecclesia is easily my favourite one, SOTN is the second one only because it's a freaking masterpiece, but from a gameplay perspective, I like Order of Ecclesia better. Fantastic bosses, good difficult, impressive castle and OST. I just love it so much.

fireflame

Didn't know OoE had critical/fan acclaim. Was mistakenly under the impression that it all took a dive after Dawn of Sorrow. Cool!

It renews gameplay by forcing you to switch weapons depending on enemies, some enemies nneed blunt attacks while other need pierce attacks,etc, and it is overal more skill based. It also mixes environments as 80% of the game is external areas and 20% only at best the castle.So it is quite great as an attempt to renew the series.

fireflame

Oh, Circle of the Moon is not canon?

Anyway great post. I am a fan of the series through the Igavania titles (with Drcaula X Chronicles pretty much being the only classic style CV title that I actually went through), and I really like most of them. Aria of Sorrow is probably my favorite, cause I really like the premise, and it just really stuck with me the most.

Real reason for CoM not being canon is that Igarashi did not work on it.

Only a Belmont can hold a whip and there is a reason why later other clans use it(Richter ashamed by his brainwashing from Shaft gives the whip to Morris, but not the Morris of CoM.

As for Alucard sleeping for 3 centuries you can assume he just felt that "his blood was cursed" and slept.

Syriel

Rondo of Blood (1792 A.D.)

Of the 'classic' style of Castlevania, I would argue that Rondo of Blood is the peak of what is possible. Richter's movement is so fast, fluid, and fun! And for those who find the game too difficult as Richter the game's difficulty can be cut in half by playing as the mighty Maria Renard. Branching pathways, beautiful art and music, and responsive and exciting gameplay are key to making Rondo the pinnacle of what Castlevania could be. The remake is nice, but I prefer the assets of the original. I love it!

91U6gDBj4TL.jpg

Cites Rondo as a game to play.

Includes image of remake/pseudo-sequel rather than original. :p

fireflame

Yeah i often read the snes counterpart of RoB is somewhat inferior despite having an interesting soundtrack.

I wish Konami brought RoB on Wii U VC as currently you can only access it through Wii's VC.

They also need to bring back the good gameboy games, not the bad one they put on 3ds'eshop.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Opened up the PlayStation Store, searched for "Castlevania", and then looked at the results. Nothing on the PS4.

What the heck, people? It's the digital distribution heyday and I can't play any Castelvania game on the PS4?

That's kind of nutty. :(

Still, good options on the PSV.

Edit: I guess Castlevania Harmony of Despair via PS Now is an option on PS4. Still... :|

Syriel

Yeah i often read the snes counterpart of RoB is somewhat inferior despite having an interesting soundtrack.

I wish Konami brought RoB on Wii U VC as currently you can only access it through Wii's VC.

They also need to bring back the good gameboy games, not the bad one they put on 3ds'eshop.

The SNES version was only sold as Dracula X in the US because that's what the PCE Rondo of Blood was commonly called in the US at the time. Konami US wanted to ride the goodwill of the name.

In Japan it was Akumajō Dracula XX, because it is not a port and was not the same game as the PCE original.

So having played them (except CoD which I can guarantee won't make it), what's your fave five?

I'd go:

1)Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
2)Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
3)Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
4)Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
5)Castlevania: Bloodlines/Akumajō Dracula dead heat

fireflame

I would separate the platform and the metroidvanias ones.

Platformers:

1Rondo of Bloold
2Super Castlevania 4
3Castlevania Bloodlines
?the others

Metroidvanias
1Symphony of the Night
2 Circle of the Moon
3Aria of Sorrow
4Order of Ecclesia
5Dawn of Sorrow
6Portraits of Ruin
7Harmony of Dissonance

3Dvanias:
Lament of Innocence
Curse of Darkness
The LoS mediocre games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Konami could do a decent amount of money in an easy, fast and low risk way if they piggy back off of the Netflix series' success and release alongside the second season next year a Castlevania Legacy Collection not unlike Capcom did with Megaman.

Include the six console Classicvanias, make sure it's a decent enough port, gain some fan good will (which Lord knows Konami could use some of), and let the money roll in.

Those six games would be
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Castlevania III
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castlevania Rondo of Blood

BONUS: Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth which has been left to die on WiiWare for far too long deserves a port too.

The one that needs a port the most is Bloodlines since for reasons unknown has NEVER been made available in any way shape or form, digitally or physically, in other platforms except for the Genesis original.

If Konami isn't making new CV games they at least should release a collection akin to this. Let me pay you money to be able to legally play Bloodlines without having to hunt for a Genesis and a used cartridge.

fireflame

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Konami could do a decent amount of money in an easy, fast and low risk way if they piggy back off of the Netflix series' success and release alongside the second season next year a Castlevania Legacy Collection not unlike Capcom did with Megaman. Include the six console Classicvanias, make sure it's a decent enough port, gain some fan good will (which Lord knows Konami could use some of), and let the money roll in.

Those six games would be
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Castlevania III
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
BONUS: Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth which has been left to die on WiiWare for far too long.

The one that needs a port the most is Bloodlines since for reasons unknown has NEVER been made available in any way shape or form, digitally or physically, in other platforms except for the Genesis original.

If Konami isn't making new CV games they at least should release a collection akin to this. Let me pay you money to be able to legally play Bloodlines without having to hunt for a Genesis and a used cartridge.

They are too lazy to care about:(

I would separate the platform and the metroidvanias ones.

Platformers:

1Rondo of Bloold
2Super Castlevania 4
3Castlevania Bloodlines
?the others

Metroidvanias
1Symphony of the Night
2 Circle of the Moon
3Aria of Sorrow
4Order of Ecclesia
5Dawn of Sorrow
6Portraits of Ruin
7Harmony of Dissonance

3Dvanias:
Lament of Innocence
Curse of Darkness
The LoS mediocre games.
I'd put LoS1 above any 3D Castlevania in a heartbeat. Canon or not that game is the better experience compared to any and all 3D Vanias. The lesser said about its sequels the better, tho.

Good job on putting COTM so high. That game doesn't get the recognition it deserves even though it's one of the select few CV games that sold over 1 million copies.

StarPhlox

If anyone cares here is my top 10 :p

1. Order of Ecclesia
2. Rondo of Blood
3. Aria of Sorrow
4. Symphony of the Night
5. Dawn of Sorrow
6. III: Dracula's Curse
7. Castlevania
8. Bloodlines
9. Super Castlevania IV
10. Simon's Quest

Miker

Portrait of Ruin was so, so bad coming off of the two Aria games. The subweapon system and leveling up subweapons was awful compared to the Tactical Soul (tm) system.

Busaiku

And here we have secretly the best Castlevania game that was ever and probably will ever be made: Order of Ecclesia. I finished my first playthrough of this game a few weeks ago and I am still reeling from it. The story is in some ways more intimate as there are fewer major players around but you eventually discover the bigger piece that Shanoa and the Order of Ecclesia play in the overall arc of the Castlevania story. Shanoa herself is an incredible protagonist and has the most fun gameplay of any character in the series. The music is beautiful and the art is absolutely breathtaking. It relies on no gimmicks from the touchscreen, but the map and inventory stuff is useful. OOE marries the best of both worlds as it has portions that are linear and portions that are what one would expect from a Metroidvania including
the most impressive Dracula's Castle of the franchise
. I could go on and on about why I love OOE so much from the sidequests to the villagers to the different powers you acquire to the fun exploration of areas and abilities. It's perfect. Please give it a shot if you haven't!
Darn right.

b3b0p

OP, I think this is quite possibly the single best GAF thread ever created for any one who enjoys Castlevania. Thank you! I agree with you on Simon's Quest. It's nice to see someone else say how fun it was. I haven't played all the Castlevania games, but I want to. I'm saving this thread for reference and later. Thumbs up, nice write up and good post.

Top Bottom