• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

At least I understand believers making excuses for the devs. But that's not your job, I'm afraid. It's the devs' job to silence me by showing some competence for a change. 125$ Mio. and four years post kickstarter development later, CIG have failed even to deliver so much as a non-cringeworthy, halfway polished trailer. Worse, for all their alleged "open development" they have for a year long danced around giving any clear indication of how far Squadron 42 is along, while failing to fix up their broken Alpha 2.x mess.

But I just don't understand game development, right? Right.

Explain why you think 4 years is too long for a game of this scale and scope, that is attempting to push the boundary's of gaming and do things others haven't before. Cyberpunk 2077 was announced almost 4 years ago and we don't even have a screenshot of it. Mount and blade: Bannerlord was announced in 2012 and it took until last year to properly see any of it. Fallout 4 supposedly started production in 2010. MMOs typically take around 4 years, sometimes more. Most games don't even get shown until about a year before they're ready to be fully released, so why do you seem to have different standards for this game?

4 years is a perfectly reasonable time for this games development, especially when they're making a full-length singleplayer game alongside an MMO, both of which are to AAA quality and are an attempt to revive a long-forgotten genre and even more so with the scope increase early on. They haven't given any direct gameplay of SQ42 other than the demo of it from CitizenCon last year, but we know it's close to being shown. They could have shown more SQ42 but them deciding not to isn't any real indication that the project will fail or it's all going wrong like you seem to think.

What specific things are you even referring to with the problems with the PU at the moment? If you think an alpha should be perfect and there isn't allowed to be anything within it that's broken than yes, I'd say you don't understand game development.

Akronis

At least I understand believers making excuses for the devs. But that's not your job, I'm afraid. It's the devs' job to silence me by showing some competence for a change. 125$ Mio. and four years post kickstarter development later, CIG have failed even to deliver so much as a non-cringeworthy, halfway polished trailer. Worse, for all their alleged "open development" they have for a year long danced around giving any clear indication of how far Squadron 42 is along, while failing to fix up their broken Alpha 2.x mess.

But I just don't understand game development, right? Right.

Man you just love coming in here from the Elite Dangerous thread whenever something remotely bad about Star Citizen happens. Are you even interested in the game at this point, or just hoping it fails?

You've already posted that gif of Chris Roberts and the flight model at least twice in both Star Citizen threads.

The detail on the planet looks so good, he wasn't lying about V2. Only problem I could see is the flickering shadows.

And the pop in, but perhaps you arent supposed to travel through the planet so fast.

Yeah it is interesting. This should be interesting to you guys then
Sean Tracy at Citcon talking to Gamer's Nexus about V 2.0 Proc Planets

He mentions how the UK graphics team rewrote the object LODing to be based upon a pixel / polygon ratio. There was a setting like that in the original crysis actually. He also mentioned they are currently unhappy with the pop in regarding trees going at fast speed like that.

There is a neat side effect of that... higher resolution could mean higher CPU load, which is rare to say the least!

RK9039

Yeah it is interesting. This should be interesting to you guys then
Sean Tracy at Citcon talking to Gamer's Nexus about V 2.0 Proc Planets

He mentions how the UK graphics team rewrote the object LODing to be based upon a pixel / polygon ratio. There was a setting like that in the original crysis actually. He also mentioned they are currently unhappy with the pop in regarding trees going at fast speed like that.

There is a neat side effect of that... higher resolution could mean higher CPU load, which is rare to say the least!

Nice, watching it now.

inkls

Worth noting they edited out what happened in the Youtube upload.

On the Twitch, right after that GIF it all goes wrong, the console opens, the player character spazzed out and started moving around, a cutscene starts with a pan out to orbit with the wrong sounds playing over it, then water on the screen in space, then back to the ground and everything plays again, showing it was just a scripted sequence.

I don't get what's the big deal about scripted? What presentation is done without being scripted?

"Alright let's boot Minecraft and start building a house." *Random creeper shows up and blows up*

I definitely wanted to see sq42 stuff so it was disappointing in that respect, but criticizing a presentation for being scripted?

I don't get what's the big deal about scripted? What presentation is done without being scripted?

"Alright let's boot Minecraft and start building a house." *Random creeper shows up and blows up*

I definitely wanted to see sq42 stuff so it was disappointing in that respect, but criticizing a presentation for being scripted?

I'm criticising them for claiming it wasn't scripted when it clearly was - they claimed the sandstorm was a dyanmic, procedural thing, which is misleading when it disappears right away after the "blow the roof off" trigger is over. They also like to claim this stuff isn't scripted to imply it's done, it's playable, it's just around the corner, which isn't the case - this stuff requires a bunch more work over the next 9 to 12 months to make it in.

I'm criticising them for claiming it wasn't scripted when it clearly was - they claimed the sandstorm was a dyanmic, procedural thing, which is misleading when it disappears right away after the "blow the roof off" trigger is over. They also like to claim this stuff isn't scripted to imply it's done, it's playable, it's just around the corner, which isn't the case - this stuff requires a bunch more work over the next 9 to 12 months to make it in.

Where did they say it wasn't scripted? I don't remember them saying that. Chris said the sandstorm is an example of the sort of dynamic weather they want and they're working towards that, but that didn't mean that specific sandstorm was dynamic and not scripted, it's just an example of the sort of thing they're hoping to have. What he actually said was "The sandstorm is an example of....we wanna have dynamic weather on procedural planets" so he didn't actually say that was dynamic.

Widge

Are there any links to the in game stuff without having to go through a load of power point slides and people on stage?

I will also echo the comments of "I've not seen the game yet", I've seen a lot of disparate parts woven together with a lot of "it will probably turn out like this". However, I'm keen to see a tight story driven single player game in the near future, which would provide a nice foil to Elite's "make your own story" approach, so definitely on the radar.

Zalusithix

These amazing graphics:

G6AjAGn.jpg
If you're going to be critical of the game and hope to have people take you seriously, then when you're criticizing the graphics at least pull a screencap from outside of the editor and certainly not of an in-progress environment edit. Then if you really want to have a point, post a screenshot from a game with procedural terrain that looks better. I mean, you might as well have picked the point when the water was a square tile and been like "Look, the water is square!".

Also, GTFO with the Sandi criticism. It should be painfully obvious at this point how hateful the internet can be at this point, especially to women. Given the totally unsubstantiated shit leveled against her and the resultant experiences, she's well within her rights to have emotions about it and share them in a community focused event.

I honestly don't mind Burny's criticism (not that I agree with it all), but shit like you're pulling there is annoying...

So let me get this straight...

CIG had time to create an Ad for the Polaris shipsale to be ready for CitizenCon,

but not enough time to create a trailer for Star Marine or Squadron 42.

Priorities.

Haven't flown a connie in forever but was that new HUD for it? Also would like to see a planetary G-reading somewhere on the HUD like Elite, planet with the rover looked low gravity but wasn't sure.

tuxfool

Banned
Haven't flown a connie in forever but was that new HUD for it? Also would like to see a planetary G-reading somewhere on the HUD like Elite, planet with the rover looked low gravity but wasn't sure.

I don't think that they have gravity different to earth. The reason being that they would need some animations to drive the character model in such a situation. IIRC they said it was something that they would like to do and the engine has the capability, but there are no plans for it.

There's a Crowbcat video to be made out of that presentation.

Two hours and thirteen minutes of powerpoint with no game footage, in-depth discussion of social media software, slides detailing endless missed deadlines followed by new deadlines to be missed, Chris on stage swearing, a game demo where the audience cheers whenever a door opens, because the doors in the game at the moment are constantly broken. Chris' nasally singing. Them talking about a new feature of enemies dropping ammo when they die in a game based on CryEngine. A weird nonsequitur where Sandi comes out for no reason and nearly cries. People cheering the game being delayed and then cheering him trashing publishers. An advert for a $750 ship, followed by Chris telling the audience to buy him a lot of drinks afterwards. "Fixing the patcher" getting the loudest cheers. Scripting breaking down with Chris acting as an incredibly over-enthusiastic hypeman. These amazing graphics:

Uh huh.... what is that thread again on Something awful...? Oh that is right! "Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity"

RubberJohnny said:
I made a list of all the feature creep since the original pitch arguing with the cultists over at NeoGAF:

Yeah, keep strong buddy. One of these days we will join your side. To all the others, who only come into the thread every few months to say something negative and disappear, great job on the subtlety.

I really don't mind criticism, but it is noticeable when certain posters come into thread and nitpick about the silliest of things, and that is all they do. Nitpick about illogical stuff because they don't care about the game they want to annoy. Just have nothing better to do it seems.

Edit: oh hey Another one for kicks

RubberJohnny said:
As part of G0RFs project to dispirit the SC backers by collecting evidence out that it's never coming out I decided to go through Reverse the Verse and create a list of every feature so we can point out just how much is left to be implemented. Although I'm not going to watch them myself, and just use INNs transcripts - but even reading those is terrible and kills me.

- They talk about fast food all the time goddamn they're fat fucks
- So much of the running time is updates on various ships that don't have anything but names or art, like 15 minutes every week - this "game" is just spaceship masturbation.
- They repeat so much from week to week, like the same updates on the same topics for four weeks in a row. Does anything get done?

The most damning things so far hasn't been features, it's that back in August they mentioned ArcCorp and Nyx were the only two landing zones nearly done, with only three more partially developed in total, for 5/100. This game is never coming out.

I guess I gotta admire the persistence.

Man you just love coming in here from the Elite Dangerous thread whenever something remotely bad about Star Citizen happens. Are you even interested in the game at this point, or just hoping it fails?

You've already posted that gif of Chris Roberts and the flight model at least twice in both Star Citizen threads.

Shhh... you weren't supposed to notice.

RK9039

^ Wow, lmao.

Elite fans have nothing better to do other than using their fuel scoops for energy just to stay awake in order to play the game.

Chipopo

Banned
Forbes: Star Citizen's 'Squadron 42' Single Player Campaign Delayed Indefinitely

------

I think what really hurts about this presentation is that it really calls into question the talking points used in response to Kotaku's recent investigation. At the time those articles were being released, people said that all the dysfunction and mismanagement were a thing of the past and that CIG was on course now, and they said this primarily on the back of the Gamescom demo. Now Citizencon shows yet another baffling absence that is likely to have at least as much fallout as the Star Marine dropout from earlier in the year, and which begs the question of whether things are much more chaotic and dire behind the scenes than what is being shared with us publicly.

Stepping away from this for a few months. The community is amazing, but I don't have a reason to fire up SC anymore. Not until 3.0 anyway.

Holiday season + soccer/football/basketball = DIVERSIONS

See you guys in a few months.

Deadstar

Really wondering if I should upgrade my ship to pass along my lifetime insurance. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you get?

DrBo42

Planet looked awesome. AI obviously has a very long way to go along with ground vehicle physics/control. I feel for the die-hard fans/supporters with these continued date slips. No way I could get on stage and talk about what needs more time and then pimp a $750 ship. Hoping it delivers eventually, the engine looks fantastic.

Elite fans have nothing better to do other than using their fuel scoops for energy just to stay awake in order to play the game.
LOL. Yeah, that feels pretty accurate sometimes. Or was I supposed to say "at least we have a game to play, amirite?" I dunno, being hardcore in either camp seems bonkers. Most of us just love the genre and wish both titles met our expectations.

Akronis

LOL. Yeah, that feels pretty accurate sometimes. Or was I supposed to say "at least we have a game to play, amirite?" I dunno, being hardcore in either camp seems bonkers. Most of us just love the genre and wish both titles met our expectations.

It's fine to rib on each game for their respective faults, but coming into the other game's thread just to shit on it is a douchey thing to do. Especially since most of the time it's drive-by garbage that's already been disproven wrong MANY times.

RK9039

Well I have both games, if I can even call SC that right now. But Elite is as boring as watching paint dry.

I personally don't mind the delays and the hiccups, as long as we don't get another Elite Dangerous in the end I'm happy.

DrBo42

It's fine to rib on each game for their respective faults, but coming into the other game's thread just to shit on it is a douchey thing to do. Especially since most of the time it's drive-by garbage that's already been disproven wrong MANY times.
Can't speak for him but I imagine he's just bummed about delays and seeing a scripted demo.

Well I have both games, if I can even call SC that right now. But Elite is as boring as watching paint dry.

I personally don't mind the delays and the hiccups, as long as we don't get another Elite Dangerous in the end I'm happy.

Yeah they haven't really nailed a gameplay loop that feels satisfying yet. Still limited in interaction with your environment and other players. Regardless of SC's current state, the ability to EVA and interact with objects/ships and enter combat with small arms really does change things. I can't say that SC ending up like ED is really a bad thing as it's a cohesive product. The progression being at a snail's pace really is a bummer though.

Geist-

Akronis

Can't speak for him but I imagine he's just bummed about delays and seeing a scripted demo.

Considering he hangs out constantly in the Elite Dangerous OT, I don't think he's bummed about delays. I think he's elated that he's given another chance to shit on the developers.

His post history has shown no support for Star Citizen. Just vitriol.

DrBo42

Considering he hangs out constantly in the Elite Dangerous OT, I don't think he's bummed about delays. I think he's elated that he's given another chance to shit on the developers.

His post history has shown no support for Star Citizen. Just vitriol.

That's where I spend my time too. But I always pop in to see what's happening with CitizenCon. Maybe it's the shitty pace of Elite updates that makes a new SC conference seem like a beacon of hope and when it ends up being delays and tech demonstrations it sends some of us over the edge. Haha. Hoping we get to see a full on Squadron 42 mission soon though.

Akronis

That's where I spend my time too. But I always pop in to see what's happening with CitizenCon. Maybe it's the shitty pace of Elite updates that makes a new SC conference seem like a beacon of hope and when it ends up being delays and tech demonstrations it sends some of us over the edge. Haha. Hoping we get to see a full on Squadron 42 mission soon though.

I appreciate the optimism lol. Nice to see someone who isn't gloom and doom over everything. I'm still waiting a bit longer to see what Elite adds before jumping back in.

I see some people saying that we're not on 2.5 yet, obviously that's wrong. 2.6 will probably drop within October but that depends on what's broken and what needs to be fixed obviously.

As far as I know anyway, theirs 2.6 code and then theirs 3.0 code, I don't think 2.6 taking a bit longer getting out has an impact on 3.0.

Shy

Sorry for asking this again, buuuuuuuuut.

Should i just get the Dragonfly, or wait and hope the Yellowjacket becomes available again next month. ?

Geist-

Sorry for asking this again, buuuuuuuuut.

Should i just get the Dragonfly, or wait and hope the Yellowjacket becomes available again next month. ?
If the yellow jacket ever goes back on sale (unlikely), you can just get a $0 CCU for a standard Dragonfly, so there's no reason to wait.

From the Reddit megathread so take it with a pinch of salt;

Talked w/ Erin Roberts at the Con, he said it was animations for different things, such as repairing and the like. It would not have looked as fluid as it was needed to be. Literally EVERYTHING else was finished. They want to have that one shot to show off SQ42 in its top condition. Hope I am paraphrasing everything correctly. I'll be glad to wait for the finished product.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/56dtnu/citizencon_megathread/d8lkkkz

ryousuke

They still showed a demo and a behind the scenes demo in cryengine. It's not like they didn't show anything.
Honestly I'n not interested in seeing an entire chapter of the campaign, I want to play it. I don't understand why everyone is upset about this actually.

Akronis

They still showed a demo and a behind the scenes demo in cryengine. It's not like they didn't show anything.
Honestly I'n not interested in seeing an entire chapter of the campaign, I want to play it. I don't understand why everyone is upset about this actually.

Not really upset, but it's kind of poor form to show nothing of SQ42 when it was originally supposed to come out before 2017.

I know it was totally going to get delayed, but not showing anything just gives the impression that it's no where close to finished.

I really don't know if not showing anything over unpolished animations was really the right choice.

Their goal is to show it when it's done, what the fans and fans of the medium in general can expect out of the full game. Not; "this, but with better animations."

Top Bottom