• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly decent episode. Dwight is interesting. Visual storytelling was on point

Negan is hilarious. JDM is chewing scenery like a motherfucker.

Neegan's actor delivers every line with this threatening cocky but aloof delivery. It'S really annoying.

The rest of the episode was meh. I'm guessing a lot of the writers really thought this breaking down of Darryl played so well on paper, but nothing outside burned face guy was interesting. CUT out the Darryl bits, and give us a day in the life of that guy.

Couple questions:

-Why the vomit at the end? From the picture or just the unsustainability of dog food?
-The sweater slaves in the wall didn't seem to be operating with much urgency. What was up with them?

Couple questions:

-Why the vomit at the end? From the picture or just the unsustainability of dog food?
-The sweater slaves in the wall didn't seem to be operating with much urgency. What was up with them?
I didn't even get wtf was going on with the buckets and zombie heads.

Catdaddy

Since the commercial fuckery episode had, two before the reveal. Started jumping in 20 after and still ended ontime. Decent enough episode, but still don't like when they focus on one main character.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I guess they are going to reveal the reason for the bucket later? And honestly I didn't really like this episode. I get they have to explore Negan's compound, but it just felt like a really short episode.

Azzanadra

Comic spoilers
Didn't think AMC would have the balls to keep the Negan's Wives thing, though it seems like they really danced around the word "rape" because that's what it really is.

Bigfoot

Comic spoilers
Didn't think AMC would have the balls to keep the Negan's Wives thing, though it seems like they really danced around the word "rape" because that's what it really is.
Not really.
They never said anything about wives (plural) yet, so maybe it's just the one. Also she chose to be Negan's wife to save Dwight. Why would they use the word "rape" for that?

Azzanadra

Not really.
They never said anything about wives (plural) yet, so maybe it's just the one. Also she chose to be Negan's wife to save Dwight. Why would they use the word "rape" for that?

Because it seemed like before Dwight ran off, he would have forcefully made Tina/Sherry his wife anyways.

I really enjoyed the scene of Dwight and Sherry in the stairwell, but in true TWD fashion, the amount of content in the episode doesn't really require the amount of time spent on it. I still don't know if Gimple keeps the shows pacing like this because he likes it, or because it's an AMC budgetary thing. I did really like the opening, though, and Dwight's sandwich looked delicious.

I still don't quite know what to think of JDM's Negan. He's more terrifying, and even more of a constant showman. Comic book Negan feels like an amicable jock that doesn't really have a brain to mouth filter. Everything feels so much more personal and drawn out with TV!Negan, especially with Negan's interactions with Rick and Daryl. Comic!Negan seems to take everything a lot less personally. I think I find Comic!Negan a lot more likeable, which is an odd thing to say, considering his character. I guess TV!Negan never feels very awkward, and is constantly theatrical, whereas Comic!Negan has his awkward moments. That being said, we've seen very little of Negan on the show, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. (I adore JDM, but after OZ, I still think Chris Meloni would have made the perfect Negan.)

Positively, I think Dwight and Sherry are better written than their comic book counterparts. I really like Dwight in the comics, but he easily feels like one of the most nuanced characters on the show. I hope the show continues to take him in interesting places, and that he doesn't end up playing second fiddle for Daryl's storyline.

Comic spoilers

I'm actually surprised that the implications are worse with the show.
If I remember correctly, Sherry and the rest of the wives marry Negan in exchange for more 'luxuries'? (Not much luxury going on, really.) In the TV show, Sherry marries Negan to save Dwight's life. I mean, the dynamics in the comic book are still extremely fucked up, as Negan is in a position of power over the women in Sanctuary, but they actually made it worse.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 703: “The Cell”

rmfsoEM.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 703, “The Cell” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 703: “The Cell” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 704, “Service” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 704, “Service” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead's Inside The Dead
  • The sandwich Norman ate was a mixture of vegan sausages and apple butter with cherry preserves for color. There really was a dog food sandwich in this episode; however, it was only used for close ups.
  • The walker defense wall utilized live walker extras, dummies and head casts on spikes. Some of the heads were radio-controlled to add motion to their eyes and mouths.
  • According to Co-EP Denise Huth, Norman Reedus originally did not like his new wardrobe. So they granted his one request. Pockets.
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Chumley

Banned
JDM is fucking killing it. Not just perfect casting, but casting that elevates the character in the comic in every way imaginable, and I thought it was going to be impossible to do justice to him considering how ridiculous he is. Call me crazy, but losing the constant F-bombs might actually help. I wasn't necessarily sold at first but whoever picked JDM deserves a raise.

Belfast

Neegan's actor delivers every line with this threatening cocky but aloof delivery. It'S really annoying.

The rest of the episode was meh. I'm guessing a lot of the writers really thought this breaking down of Darryl played so well on paper, but nothing outside burned face guy was interesting. CUT out the Darryl bits, and give us a day in the life of that guy.

That's because, despite Darryl being a main character, this episode was ultimately *about* Dwight. Considering he is a character in the comics and Darryl isn't, this was probably an episode dedicated to giving him some of that needed character development.

Chumley

Banned

This was not a Darryl episode, it was a Dwight episode.

I'm just catching up. Watched Ep2 and 3 tonight. There have been some nice looking women in this show, but who is the woman that got out of the truck when they make back to the kingdom?(after finding pigs)dat ass son lol dat ass

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Another good episode this week. Pleasantly surprised that they pretty much gave Dwight his own episode. After all the "cartoonish" and "one dimensional" complaints thrown his way last season, it was definitely needed.

Damn, Daryl.... :(
Must have filmed this right after doing the mocap for the Death Stranding trailer

Sounding like Baleman

mte, haha

It's insane the contrast between Negan and Ezekiel with regards to how they treat their people. I like we get to see it back to back weeks to hammer it home.

Funny how Negan's camp uses the "everything is happy life is good" thing as a torture device meanwhile that's the main philosophy with Ezekiel's in an unironic way.

Yep, I thought they did a good job of contrasting the two new groups, especially by airing their episodes back-to-back.

Also, something amazing that I haven't seen anyone mention: we now have 4 different self sustaining communities, all in close proximity to each other. That's kind of a huge deal!

bidguy

Banned
great episode much better than last weeks. i at least understand dwight now, they did a pretty bad job with explaining his motivations last season

Comic spoilers

They choose to have sex with him because of
the implication.

Also, why wouldn't AMC choose to do that after what he did in the premiere?

Because it seemed like before Dwight ran off, he would have forcefully made Tina/Sherry his wife anyways.
That's not really how he operates though. They're likely to choose to be with Negan because it benefits them (so like prostitution in a way) or to protect the people they care about (Dwight).

Another good episode this week. Pleasantly surprised that they pretty much gave Dwight his own episode. After all the "cartoonish" and "one dimensional" complaints thrown his way last season, it was definitely needed.

People who say that clearly have no patience and seem to want everything explained immediately.

Well, I was expecting Daryl to be a lot mentally broken down, considering how Reedus said pre-season that "Daryl went to a very dark dark place". I didn't expect it to be literally a dark room.

In all honesty things seem a little luke warm. They shouldn't have taken a three week break inbetween the premiere and Rick's eventual return to Alexandria. Intercutting between Daryl's struggles and the group in mourning seems like a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom