• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama says he was 'encouraged' by conversation with Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

samn

To be fair, this is actually the only reason I hold out hope he will be reasonable. He has no convictions. He just wants to be popular. Bush had an ethos. Trump may just take the path of least resistance.

I.e. a demagogue. Look up the history of demagogues and how well they turned out. Also remember that most of them didn't have access to almost unlimited surveillance of everyone on the planet (thanks Obama!) and thousands of nuclear weapons.

I believe it was the author of Art of the Deal who had to get to know Trump to write it, who said that Trump didn't truly want to win, that his real dream scenario would be to lose by one electoral vote or .1% of the popular vote, so that he could claim that it was rigged and he's the rightful winner and President forever, without having to actually be President.

It's funny, literally every single person in this situation doesn't want Trump as president, including Trump.

Ithil

This is my first time actually looking at the "final" map.

I'm not sure there's going to be any kind of widespread panic. That is one Red map. Even half of California is Red.

Wow

Most of those deep red areas are near-empty rural lands. It's a deceiving visual.

Morts

I'm not looking forward to the image of our first black president handing over the reigns the a guy endorsed by the KKK.

Let's have a peaceful transition of power, but but I wouldn't blame Obama if he had the flu on inauguration day.

mreddie

I'm not sure there's going to be any kind of widespread panic. That is one Red map. Even half of California is Red.

Wow

Remember, Trump went after the Rural America. That red isn't shocking me...yet. When I'll try to leave Arizona, yeah.

He doesn't want to damage the tradition of the peaceful transfer of power. Right now, there are thousands of people protesting, he's not going to risk escalating things by saying "um, yeah, this guy spooks the fuck out of me".

I just heard Trump talk about the meeting and... I dunno. He sounded like Obama showed him some shit. And now he's like "well, I did not know that".

Part of me, while in repulsed by Trump, is fascinated to see what a person who's never held office EVER, does with a responsibility of being president.

And then I snap back to reality and say to myself that this isn't an experiment that should be happening. I'm so afraid with this guy at the top. This is not the time to watch him stumble through this and he's going to be advised by some of the worst republicans that have held office. I'm worried.

I believe it was the author of Art of the Deal who had to get to know Trump to write it, who said that Trump didn't truly want to win, that his real dream scenario would be to lose by one electoral vote or .1% of the popular vote, so that he could claim that it was rigged and he's the rightful winner and President forever, without having to actually be President.

It's funny, literally every single person in this situation doesn't want Trump as president, including Trump.

I'm pretty sure Trump watched Brewster's Millions but forgot to finish it

Kenai

Best case: Trump will be middle of the road and actually fooled people to get elected.
Worst case: Obama is trying to prevent more riots and misery before he leaves.

That was my take on it too. Making the best of a best situation is something he has a lot of experience in.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Obama : "Sooo... about that joke I said a few days ago where if you couldn't handle a Twitter account, so you can't handle the nuclear codes... hum... Sorry?"

Trump : "Don't worry, I won't nuke your home country. Nobody wants to nuke Africa."

Totally believe it. This also gives me hope that after 4 years Trump will be like, "Nah, I'm good."

Give up on the "maybe he's not so bad" stuff now. It was the same thing with Bush 43. A lot of talk about unity, but as soon as he got in office he started railroading through legislation on extremely divisive issues.

And Bush was actually a compassionate, thoughtful, sincere Christian. Not the narcissistic sociopath that Trump so clearly is.

Trump not being Christian actually works in his favor in that comparison.

Neo C.

Obama is like the Japanese general Anami who tried his damndest to not provoque a coup état by the younger lieutenants and captains.

I like Obama, but his DNC speech now feels like a big sad lie. The America he describes only exists in his dream.

I know body language signs when I see them, Obama sonned the hell out of Trump through the duration of their meeting. Trump looks more humble than I can ever remember him being on the campaign trail. The enormity of actually holding the White House is starting to sink in.

Saganator

d3bB9Y.png

Trump is probably just imagining all the gold plated furniture in the oval office.

Xe4

Banned
They are joking. What is happening?
That's what you do as a president. You're courteous, and part of that includes joking around. He's had 8 years of practice with far shittier people than Trump (hard to beleive, I know).

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I.e. a demagogue. Look up the history of demagogues. Also remember that most of them didn't have access to almost unlimited surveillance of everyone on the planet (thanks Obama!) and thousands of nuclear weapons.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that Bush believing god personally spoke to him didn't make him more reasonable on social issues. I wasn't meaning to imply Trump would be a good President. Just that if you are comparing the two, one guy believed god wanted him to stop the gays and the other knows that he'd lose popularity for going after them for example. I wasn't meaning to imply that I think that is what will happen. Just that the comparison isn't good.

fixedpoint

Wow
It's deceptive - lots of land, not many people.
(This vis is from 2012)
statepop1024.png

edit - I'm kind of panicking

bjork

I don't know about anyone else, but spending the last years of my life in one of the most stressful job in the world doesn't sound fun. That might be sinking in.

This is what I'm seeing too. It's gonna be like Jesse Ventura or Arnold in their governor runs. Campaigning and talking shit on camera is fun, but then you win and it's like 'oh fuck now what?'

Hilarious that Obama has gone from the man that made Trump run for president purely to spite to someone Trump just spent 45 minutes out of an expected 15 minutes grilling about how to actually do his job.

What was Obama going to say? It was terrible? Markets would crash around the world again. That would be irresponsible as hell. Hopefully, it was a good talk.

Paltheos

He probably just doesn't want to send the public into an even more widespread panic.

Yeah. A for effort though, Bams. We know you care.
My hope in January is that Trump will just make the party politicians hate him (more) and they won't cooperate at all through his term. I know 'Get nothing done' is a terrible wish, but it might be our best alternative.

Polari

Obama just wants to pass on the same support that George W. Bush gave him and show respect for the office. I suspect Obama and Bush have a far more relaxed and friendly relationship that Obama ever will with Trump.

ColdPizza

Banned
I know body language signs when I see them, Obama sonned the hell out of Trump through the duration of their meeting. Trump looks more humble than I can ever remember him being on the campaign trail. The enormity of actually holding the White House is starting to sink in.

"The shit you're going to see will haunt your fucking soul. Prepare to age."

Yeah, that was my takeaway, too.

So is it just Obama being classy and reassuring america, or did Trump actually confess that most of what he said was just to get elected?
Could be both.

I think Trump admitted that he didn't mean some of the crazy things he said and while that's not enough, Obama, classy as ever, made the right and polite statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom