• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

feel

5vb09z.jpg

p6hpy.jpg

23gy7as.jpg

svriag.jpg

2l95y7d.jpg

29cxe0.jpg

69n7s8.jpg

So beautiful.

OK, I just saw the ViDoc and Forge 2.0 looks awesome. Retooled camera, object placement, colors, and new geometry to work with, all seamless incorporated into the file share system. I sense amazing things to come. Now that's some good stuff right there - worthy of a final installment by its loving creators.

Still not sold on the Firefight versus though. Are there any more details?

Edit: Nevermind - there's a whole nuther thread about it. Cheers.

Edit Edit: OK, that's about Forge, not Firefight. My bad.

NullPointer said:
OK, I just saw the ViDoc and Forge 2.0 looks awesome. Retooled camera, object placement, colors, and new geometry to work with, all seamless incorporated into the file share system. I sense amazing things to come. Now that's some good stuff right there - worthy of a final installment by its loving creators.

The crazy thing is, amongst all these amazing features that will be shipped at launch, Forge wont reach its potential for a few months when there will be remakes for almost all of the halo maps!!!!

big ander

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Yep, it's awesome though. So many options.
Thanks for the gif bomb letters. :D

It's 2v2, 2 spartans versus 2 elites and a bunch of covies. The covies don't get points, but the spartans get an extra life for every elite they kill and more for each human-controlled elite. After a time or at 0 lives, teams swap sides.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
big ander said:
It's 2v2, 2 spartans versus 2 elites and a bunch of covies. The covies don't get points, but the spartans get an extra life for every elite they kill and more for each human-controlled elite. After a time or at 0 lives, teams swap sides.
Wait so Elite is the only Covy character you can control? That's pretty disappointing.

big ander said:

Wow. Considering that beta Elites versus Spartans was wildly overpowered in favor of Elites, this new mode seems... wildly overpowered in favor of Elites ;P

I do like the switchover to 2 versus 2 though, with alternating rounds. It seems like as far as co-op is concerned, its a radically different proposition playing with a team of two, and playing a larger co-op group of 3 or more. There's a different balance involved and its altogether a little less personal as the group size embiggens. Having the choice to go at different modes with a varying player count seems like a great way to go.

Did I miss it or have Bungie already confirmed matchmaking support for Firefight modes?

Man, this game is set to become the definitive hardcore game of the 360 generation.

big ander

NameGenerated said:
Wait so Elite is the only Covy character you can control? That's pretty disappointing.
Meh, what else would be fun to play as? Not jackals or skirmishers or grunts, not hunters. Maybe Brutes, but they're similar enough to Elites that it doesn't matter to me.
NullPointer said:
Wow. Considering that beta Elites versus Spartans was wildly overpowered in favor of Elites, this new mode seems... wildly overpowered in favor of Elites ;P

I do like the switchover to 2 versus 2 though, with alternating rounds. It seems like as far as co-op is concerned, its a radically different proposition playing with a team of two, and playing a larger co-op group of 3 or more. There's a different balance involved and its altogether a little less personal. Having the choice to go at different modes with a varying player count seems like a great way to go.

Did I miss it or have Bungie already confirmed matchmaking support for Firefight modes?

Man, this game is set to become the definitive hardcore game of the 360 generation.
Yeah, FF has matchmaking day 1.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
big ander said:
Meh, what else would be fun to play as? Not jackals or skirmishers or grunts, not hunters. Maybe Brutes, but they're similar enough to Elites that it doesn't matter to me.

Grunts would be awesome to play as, like Odd Job from Goldeneye. :D

Kibbles

NameGenerated said:
Gears 3 still ahead in that regard. Every locust playable in beast mode. Shame that couldn't be done in some form in Firefight 2.0. Then again you would be getting killed in one headshot as a grunt/jackal, so I guess it wouldn't be much fun. :lol Hunters and Brutes would be badass though.

big ander said:

Blessed are Bungie. Endless frags upon them.

Kibbles said:
Gears 3 still ahead in that regard. Every locust playable in beast mode. Shame that couldn't be done in some form in Firefight 2.0. Then again you would be getting killed in one headshot as a grunt/jackal, so I guess it wouldn't be much fun. :lol Hunters and Brutes would be badass though.
While I agree that it sounds amazing on paper to play various Locust beasties, the proof is going to be in the pudding and I'm dying to see how that will actually play out.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
big ander said:
I think any of them could be fun to play as actually. What's a skirmisher though?

NameGenerated said:
I think any of them could be fun to play as actually. What's a skirmisher though?
New uber jackals. Nimbly ones that attack in packs at your flanks. Guess they died out after the operations on Reach.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
While I agree that it sounds amazing on paper to play various Locust beasties, the proof is going to be in the pudding and I'm dying to see how that will actually play out.
That, and there aren't too many Halo enemies I'd like to play as. Being Grunt would be fun right until your entire squad took consecutive headshots from one dude across the map. From what I've seen, Gears has plenty of larger, meatier characters to play as.

Edit: beaten to that point. Refresh moar.

EazyB

Banned
Kibbles said:
It would be awesome to even play as the weaker covie as long as your name didn't pop up every time they looked at you. You could blend in and be assumed pretty non-threatening. Running around lightning fast as a skirmisher or using a shield as a jackal sound like a blast. You have waves of covie AI to help you out, you don't need to be on an equal footing as the spartans. Meh, happy vs is in Firefight either way. 3v3 woulda been preferred but I guess they couldn't get the netcode where it needed to be.

Kibbles said:

Would make a good punishment for TKing or something like that.

Kibbles said:

Depends on how they(we?) limit the elite armor variations and health, and the number of players/health (1/2/3/4 on 4?), firefight versus could become a pretty interesting left 4 dead like mode, where players should attempt to properly coordinate attacks with to get the fullest advantage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the gears mode only Locust vs human ai?

Parting thought: The embarassment of features just got a lot more embarassing.

Its a great time to be into games gents. And its also great to see that there are devs out there trying to bridge the gap between the PC master race gaming experiences, with customization and deep investment systems, and the the more disposable, one-short-cinematic-playthrough titles that we tend to get on the consoles. Social file share, party portability, Forge map editing, fully featured co-op modes, player customization, character persistence, replayability, integration with bungie.net, and game recording put this game at the very forefront of what this entire gen has been about, when its all worked out.

Sorry to gush. Its just all good. :)

Just got up to check everything out.

DAMN SON. I.. wow. Talk about a really smart twist on Forge. In one sense it's a small bit worrying in that surely it must cost your resource budget some bit to have the areas connected like that.
Although the mocked LOD sounds awesome, would love to see the code for that :D.

Flipyap

GhaleonEB said:
That, and there aren't too many Halo enemies I'd like to play as. Being Grunt would be fun right until your entire squad took consecutive headshots from one dude across the map.
Psst, you made a typo in "would be the best thing ever".

Hmmm - Just looking through a Blog Post on MajorNelson.com - and I came across this...

For new Firefight screenshots and high-resolution images of the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo: Reach” Bundle and accessories, Covenant Banshee Avatar item, and .wmv versions of the Forge World ViDoc and the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo: Reach” Bundle unboxing video, visit (do not publish this URL): http://edelman.psni.com/public/Halo Reach/.

Now obviously, they said not to publish that URL...but they have by accident - leads to a parent directory and a load of Reach stuff - anything unannounced in there I wonder?

Get hunting!

feel

TheOddOne said:
This made ma jaw drop.
I love it too. I think they totally nailed the in-game movement of the Falcon. That shot seems like out of a scene from the Avatar movie. And I hope it controls as good as it seems to.

Sikamikanico said:
Hmmm - Just looking through a Blog Post on MajorNelson.com - and I came across this...

For new Firefight screenshots and high-resolution images of the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo: Reach” Bundle and accessories, Covenant Banshee Avatar item, and .wmv versions of the Forge World ViDoc and the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo: Reach” Bundle unboxing video, visit (do not publish this URL): http://edelman.psni.com/public/Halo Reach/.

Now obviously, they said not to publish that URL...but they have by accident - leads to a parent directory and a load of Reach stuff - anything unannounced in there I wonder?

Get hunting!
There is nothing. Is just the press server and should not available for the public

Popeck

Sikamikanico said:

Get hunting!

Nah, that's Microsoft's PR company's ftp, there shouldn't be nothing new. The stuff usually appears there some time after the announcements, never before.

But imagine, what should Forge World mean for single player environments? Of course there's no AI fighting in there, multiplayer tech is different than campaign tech, and it's using the same textures, but I think that map speaks for the new technology applied at Reach. There has to be some epic environments in the campaign.

Truant

Shake Appeal said:
It's so fitting that Forge World is set on a Halo Installation.

Just makes me wish for a Halo game with this level of graphical fidelity and scale set on a single Halo ring, instead of some bullshit galaxy hopping adventure or set on boring ass Earth.

OMG at those remakes already made!

The Halo 2 Team Slayer playlist is going to be AMAZING.

This game looks so friggen good. No other 360 game even comes close to the amount of things you can do with/in this game.

Gui_PT

That song in the GT Firefight video is awesome, but probably not from Marty.

Sounds like something that was just thrown on top of the video after it was filmed.

Gui_PT said:
That song in the GT Firefight video is awesome, but probably not from Marty.

Sounds like something that was just thrown on top of the video after it was filmed.
Aw, too bad.
It sounds to clear to come from the cam footage, but was hoping it would come from Reach.

Also got a Inception feeling of that part of Forge world, also didn't notice the cat. And the headset looks really awesome.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Doodis said:
In the IGN armory video, if you pause on the voice options, the first one says:

AUNTIE DOT [A.I.]

...as most of us had assumed.

EDIT: Woah, elite armors look badass.

Already covered that on page 20, stud.

AlienShogun said:
Well now we know the mystery Firefight voice that's the grid.

It's Auntie Dot [AI] as seen at 1:09 in that video.

They try to scroll past it really fast.

:D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dead Man Typing said:
Just watched the unboxing video, is there no bonus DVD this time, with the special editions?

Did you look at the breakdown for legendary?

Also, there are campaign spoilers in that unboxing video.

Most of us already knew that was going to happen though.

Pennybags

ZayneH said:
Heh, same here. Or the Death Star Trench Run. :lol

Holy shit, I just realized it can be done. I fully expect someone to create a trench run map better than the couple I have seen in Halo 3.

Also, the Falcon HUD looks very nice.

Top Bottom