• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
cancancopy.jpg

UPDATES

Halo Waypoint SDCC Kickoff & Square Enix Interview
Halo Reach 360 Controller Revealed
Halo Reach 360 Console ($400)

halo-reach-controller-posted-online-20100722104949579-000.jpg

Bungie are bringing Halo: Reach to Comic Con and dropping a few bombs. 343 and Halo Waypoint will also be there with some exciting Halo news panels and products and a media embargo lifts today. Videos, screenshots, announcements and hands-on impressions inbound!

Wait press conference?

Bungie will be making a special announcement today at 6pm PDT at ComicCon. If you are reading this, then you'll probably not have the chance to be there but you're covered. G4TV will be running a Live Blog from the panel floor relaying all the information. Futhermore Bungie.net will be updated one hours later (7pm PDT) with the related media.

What are we expecting?

Forge! Similar to how Bungie revealed Firefight 2.0 at E3, we're expecting similar treatment for Forge, maybe even a surprise or two! Videos, screenshots or maybe even a new Vidoc!

During Bungie Day, a new map was revealed. It was massive, big enough to swallow a Blood Gulch remake and still have plenty of room. It seems as if this will be the map Bungie uses to show off Forge 2.0 .

Links

Media Embargo?

The media was brought into the Bungie cave and given time to play with Reach both Campaign and multiplayer. The Campaign material will be held back until mid/early August bu the rest of the stuff is fair game from later on today. New maps and new modes were shown to the journalists from various sites such as IGN and.... other sites. Expect plenty of hands on impressions from this time spent with Reach and tons of screenshots and videos. The embargo seems to have been timed with the ComicCon announcement so it's expected that the embargo will be lifted around this time. Some sites might leak early and some may come late to the party.

Last Week's BWU said:
This week we hosted a slew of worldwide media folks for a big hands-on preview with a huge chunk of Reach. During their stay our guests got to play two and a half campaign missions, several new MP maps, a new game mode and Forge. The bad news is that most of the fruits of that visit, including all of the campaign coverage, won’t be surfacing until the first week of August. The good news is that some of what we showed will actually be coming out next week including a boat load of new screenshots and even some direct feed video. Did I already mention that next Thursday was shaping up to be HUGE?!

It was really fun to have "civilians" in to play parts of Reach for the first time. It’s often hard to really gauge their reactions but members of our team quietly hovered in the background watching the likes of OXM, IGN and Gamepro get their first taste of the Reach campaign. At one point Joe Tung leans over to me and points out "hey look, all four of those guys are on the same part of the mission and each is using totally different armor abilities. That’s just awesome." Yeah, it sure was.

Links
Links will added as they come online.

Give me more Halo!

Halo: Reach isn't the only Halo main attraction, 343i and Waypoint will be there and hosting a seperate Halo Universe panel. Additionaly, they started the show early with some swet Halo related product announcements. The Halo Universe panel is scheduled for 11-12pm PDT on Sunday.

Action Figures!

• Exclusive "Noble Seven" Action Figure. Link

other_noble7_photo_01_lg.jpg

• Halo Reach Play Arts Kai by SquareEnix. (Announcement to follow?)

kai.jpg

Halo Novels!

• Forerunner Trilogy Book 1 by Greg Bear will be out later this year (Announcement to follow?).

greg-bear.jpg

• Follow up (not sequel) to Ghosts of Onyx to be written by Karen Traviss due out 2011. Link.

0411travissk300.jpg

Free Stuff! (For Attendees only! =\)

Attendees will be given a Limited Edition poster by Bungie's Dorje Bellbrook and a Noble Six helmet for an Xbox Live avatar.

littleposter.jpg
littlehemlet.gif

watership

Ughh, I sorta want to sleep until the press conference. That way I won't be driving myself and everyone around me CRAZY GO NUTS.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home from seeing Inception to find this thread awaiting me on good ol' GAF. Can't fuggin wait. I'm avoiding most media now, but I'm willing to dive in Forge 2.0 details... And maybe a few other things. I just REALLY don't want any campaign environments spoiled for me, either through campaign info or MP maps screens.

Voltron64

Just got back to the hotel room I stopped by the MS booth and waited in line for a few minutes but didn't have time to play REACH tonight because I had dinner reservations :/ but I'll have a chance to play it tomorrow. Reach was hidden in the back of the booth so I'm not sure what maps were playable tonight (probably the same ones from E3) I don't know why REACH is hidden in the back of the MS booth, it should be front and center if you ask me. I was going to post on GAF from the REACH Panel tomorrow about any note worthy announcements but now that G4 is live streaming and the media blowout right after you don't need little ol' me.

Xbox booth with REACH in the back not sure what's up with the plywood.
2qkm3qx.jpg

Another pic of the Square Enix figures.
5oi1l1.jpg

Tomorrow should be fun.

the smells were horrible and it was the first couple hours of the show.
:lol

Vespa

I want a Ghosts of Onyx sequel with Eric Nylund dammit :mad:

Those figures look great, oh man my wallet is crying already!

FourDoor

NfoRcEr said:
Just thought I'd post that the Noble 7 "Comic-con exclusive" is actually available online straight from Toys r us at http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4252204. Kinda defeats the purpose for a comic-con exclusive, but gives anyone who can't make it to San Diego a chance to pick it up. They also have some other stuff from comic-con available at their site.

I just ordered my mine from TRU.com and used the Kinect deal for $89.99 using coupon code 939418 thats going on 7/22 only to get free shipping on the Noble 7 character. I figured I wanted the figure and would end up getting Kinect anyways so it was a good excuse to buy both at the same time. :D

Kibbles

careksims said:
I was at the MS booth there and it was swamped. There was Gears of War 3 next to it. Ugh. Too many people.
Were people not allowed to film? I'm amazed we aren't seeing YouTube videos of Gears 3 and Reach gameplay.

We do got some crazy RB3 singer though. :lol Ahh, where is Reach!

Kibbles

^ Yeah those are from E3.
This week we hosted a slew of worldwide media folks for a big hands-on preview with a huge chunk of Reach. During their stay our guests got to play two and a half campaign missions, several new MP maps, a new game mode and Forge. The bad news is that most of the fruits of that visit, including all of the campaign coverage, won’t be surfacing until the first week of August. The good news is that some of what we showed will actually be coming out next week including a boat load of new screenshots and even some direct feed video. Did I already mention that next Thursday was shaping up to be HUGE?!

It was really fun to have "civilians" in to play parts of Reach for the first time. It’s often hard to really gauge their reactions but members of our team quietly hovered in the background watching the likes of OXM, IGN and Gamepro get their first taste of the Reach campaign. At one point Joe Tung leans over to me and points out "hey look, all four of those guys are on the same part of the mission and each is using totally different armor abilities. That’s just awesome." Yeah, it sure was.
Based off the comic-con poster, it looks like this is what we'll be getting. A reveal of Forge and the new game-mode which puts certain players as monitors on the battlefield, like shown in the artwork and something they wanted to put in Halo 3.

EazyB

Banned
Carried over from the last thread:
GhaleonEB said:
You assume Bungie wants to make just a map creator; it's pretty clear from Halo 3 they don't. I'd wager both Forge's capabilities as a map editor and as a multiplayer mode have been expanded. Forge was also a fantastic collaborative gametype to mess around in, which my daughter and I spent many an hour doing. That's not what you're looking forward to in Forge, but that doesn't make it any less important. It's awesome, and I'd be crushed if that were removed. And I'm delighted at the possibility that it could be expanded; building actual gametypes out of it is a natural evolution for it to go in.
It's clear from Halo 3 that they either didn't have the time to implement a full-featured map editor in Halo 3. It doesn't speak at all to their desire for the community to have those tools. I realize you, in your unique situation, benefited greatly from forge as a gametype but I have no doubt you're in an extreme minority. Forge as a map creator has the potential of benefiting exponentially more players for much longer.

As for the bolded: It's much less important to the community as a whole. If Forge were a fuck-awesome map creator and the maps well integrated into MM there would be absolutely no contest. The value a few individuals get from tossing tanks around for a few hours during their entire time with the game pales in comparison to playing a frequently updated and varying MM palette.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I would be happy enough with the ability to lock, merge and fine tune objects.

Somehow I think bungie will deliver more than that though.

Killer

Banned
What can they possibly announce? the game looks excellent and full of features already! maybe they are shifting platforms and releasing it on PS3?
MEGATONZ

Greyvvolf

You can only get the Noble Six avatar helmet if you attend Comic-Con, PAX, or GamesCom? There is absolutely no way for me to attend any of them, It's the only helmet I was interested in too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Greyvvolf said:
You can only get the Noble Six avatar helmet if you attend Comic-Con, PAX, or GamesCom? There is absolutely no way for me to attend any of them, It's the only helmet I was interested in too.

Apparently so, it's only being given at those events.

EazyB said:

It's clear from Halo 3 that they either didn't have the time to implement a full-featured map editor in Halo 3. It doesn't speak at all to their desire for the community to have those tools. I realize you, in your unique situation, benefited greatly from forge as a gametype but I have no doubt you're in an extreme minority. Forge as a map creator has the potential of benefiting exponentially more players for much longer.

As for the bolded: It's much less important to the community as a whole. If Forge were a fuck-awesome map creator and the maps well integrated into MM there would be absolutely no contest. The value a few individuals get from tossing tanks around for a few hours during their entire time with the game pales in comparison to playing a frequently updated and varying MM palette.
But Ghal was simply pointing out what was true... Forge had intended to be a multiplayer mode where the player who was the monitor swayed the battle by dropping tanks and shit to the players. Sure, it never made it's way to MM but I wouldn't doubt the amount of people who start up a round of Forge purely for the blood spewn mayhem that ensues from spawning all sorts of stuff.

No one is denying what Forge ultimately became but alas, you and Ghal are on two different sides of the spectrum, divided by your gaming morals and standards. I don't think it is accurate to say "no one uses forge for _____". I forever feel that there really is no 'minority' of players that play Halo in a particular way...
unless it's a ranked hopper. /jk
:lol

Help me out with some Timezone shenanigans here...but 7pm PDT is 3am BST (British Summer Time) right?

Which means, if I want the juicy gossip...Its an early night and an early rise for me?

Of course, I could just be patient and wait until I get home...

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Sikamikanico said:
Help me out with some Timezone shenanigans here...but 7pm PDT is 3am BST (British Summer Time) right?

Which means, if I want the juicy gossip...Its an early night and an early rise for me?

Of course, I could just be patient and wait until I get home...

YEAH RIGHT!!!
You're right

Edit.: BEATEN

szaromir said:
Do you think it'll be possible to get several helmet codes at GamesCom? I'd take some for my friends?
There is definitely a way to get several codes. On Sunday Microsoft put all the rest codes on the information stand. (last year there was a bunch of Banjo-Kazooie Arcade Codes)

EazyB said:

I think Forge would probably benefit more by splitting up the gametype and map editing aspects. In H3 it does an alright job at doing both at once, but by separating them Bungie could improve them an awful lot.

Then again, Forge was also never really designed for the kinds of things it ended up doing. The monitor perspective works well for changing weapon and flag spawns, but when you want to create geometry it's a mess.

EazyB

Banned
Photolysis said:
I think Forge would probably benefit more by splitting up the gametype and map editing aspects. In H3 it does an alright job at doing both at once, but by separating them Bungie could improve them an awful lot.

Then again, Forge was also never really designed for the kinds of things it ended up doing. The monitor perspective works well for changing weapon and flag spawns, but when you want to create geometry it's a mess.
Totally agree, having the monitor in there as a physical character as well as other players limits its functionality. A gametype with solid parameters that could lead to competitive RTS-like aspects could really be awesome but the map editor should be distancing itself from active gameplay not coming closer.

Eh, the forge reveal should only be a matter of hours from now so there's no use getting worked up now. Still, I was hoping Reach's Forge would function more similarly to real map editors or even Marathon's Forge than Halo 3's.

derFeef

Church RvB said:
I'm going to go back to the future so I can see all of this before anyone else on GAF. :D :D
If you are going back to the future, you would have been already there.

edit:
Here is hoping that this new Forge is finally the thing that sucks me into Halo Multiplayer.

Photolysis said:

I'm not so sure....testing things like jumps, lines of sight, etc etc on the fly was a very handy feature. They need to improve the general usability sure, but I don't think they need to seperate gametype/map editing etc.

I really can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves....creating maps and gametypes is one of my favourite pastimes. :D

EazyB

Banned
Sikamikanico said:
I'm not so sure....testing things like jumps, lines of sight, etc etc on the fly was a very handy feature. They need to improve the general usability sure, but I don't think they need to seperate gametype/map editing etc.

I really can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves....creating maps and gametypes is one of my favourite pastimes. :D
I've never seen or used a map creator that didn't allow the user to spawn into the map seamlessly...

The monitor being a physical player character does nothing to help the user build maps.

EazyB said:
I've never seen or used a map creator that didn't allow the user to spawn into the map seamlessly...

The monitor being a physical player character does nothing to help the user build maps.
See FC1 and FC2 as mentioned above :p (incase you missed it)

TheOddOne

Killer said:
What can they possibly announce? the game looks excellent and full of features already! maybe they are shifting platforms and releasing it on PS3?
MEGATONZ
EPIC BETRAYAL

Sikamikanico said:

It's an interesting point about being able to test things like jumps on the fly, but I don't see why that aspect couldn't be kept in any map editor Bungie creates.

When I say separate the two, I'm not advocating that Bungie should turn Forge into a bog standard map editor and remove things like the ability to fly around the maps and instantly insert yourself into them. But by splitting them in to a dedicated gametype and editor, Bungie can refine the options for crazy tank-spawning games and they can refine the map editing aspect without having to drag around the usability requirements for a gametype.

As an example of something that could be achieved with a dedicated gametype, you could have a monitor per team and have recharging "credits" or something, so there would be an element of strategy in what items you give your team. You can't do that when it's also an editor because let's face it, that would suck when you want to edit weapon layouts. And in H3, there's no real incentive to spawn BRs over Rocket Launchers or other heavy weapons when playing it as a game.

Top Bottom