• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

Photolysis said:
As an example of something that could be achieved with a dedicated gametype, you could have a monitor per team and have recharging "credits" or something, so there would be an element of strategy in what items you give your team. You can't do that when it's also an editor because let's face it, that would suck when you want to edit weapon layouts. And in H3, there's no real incentive to spawn BRs over Rocket Launchers or other heavy weapons when playing it as a game.

Ahhh.

Gotcha. Yeah, that'd be a giggle. :)

Perhaps with Reach's new boundary marking tools (as seen from the various sized Invasion cap points and stuff) there could be designated areas on the map where each team could forge things.

MrDaravon

Those S-E figures look pretty damn sweet, at least from what you can see in that shot.

Also as posted by Pahamrick in the other thread, TRU has the Noble Seven figure online and in-stock right now here.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Prediction time

• Canyon map fully revealed
  • Additional map revealed (mentioned in the last BWU)
  • Forge 2.0 revealed
  • Vidoc, additional screenshots and videos
  • New gameplay mode (not Forge related) revealed

I'm stabbing in the dark here but I'm guessing the new mode won't be related to Forge at all. Instead it will sit alongside Firefight, Forge and traditional MP.

Campaign
Activities -> Firefight, Traditional MP, New Mode
Theatre

Without wildly speculating and coming up with a wall of text, I'd say most of our guess may be way off regarding these "megatons".

Best place to look for clues would be Halo 3's (and ODST's) cutting room floor.

Blueblur1

In my opinion, those are good predictions, Dani. I don't expect them to announce another mode that will sit next to Campaign, Firefight, Forge and competitive multiplayer though. If something like that were to be announced then the game would have an ungodly amount of content. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an enhanced theater mode or something to that effect.

Edit: Or as Lunchbox just typed above, it could be the reveal of space combat in the multiplayer. It would technically be a new game variant for multiplayer but maybe it's got it's own separate lobby, etc.

Blueblur1

wwm0nkey said:
Why does the G4TV site say Reach is 32 players now?

LINK
I checked some other sites (Gamespot, IGN, destructoid, Kotaku, 1up.com) and none of them mention 32 players. It could be a mistake on G4's part.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dammit, woke up too early. I can't wait. Around what time will the news hit the web?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
godhandiscen said:
Dammit, woke up too early. I can't wait. Around what time will the news hit the web?

I highlighted it all over the OP. :lol

G4TV Live Blog Link (6pm PDT/2am GMT)
Bungie.net Frontpage ( Media available after 7pm PDT/3am GMT)

Us UK folks will have to wait until 2am-3am.

Annoys me that people attending get a cool spartan helmet for their avatar, half of them won't even use it!

If possible i'll trade a picture of my cat for a code :lol

Diablohead said:
Annoys me that people attending get a cool spartan helmet for their avatar, half of them won't even use it!

If possible i'll trade a picture of my cat for a code :lol
I already mentioned it in the BWU thread: If i get several codes at the GamesCom, Halogaf will get them.

Hypertrooper said:
I already mentioned it in the BWU thread: If i get several codes at the GamesCom, Halogaf will get them.
11ukeh0.gif

Awesome!

Halogaf is big so run a small compo for fun :D if you get the codes.

I knew the Forerunner trilogy was coming and I'm excited for that, but also excited to hear, a new book is coming from the author of Ghosts of Onyx. Love that book.

Popeck

ToyMachine228 said:
I knew the Forerunner trilogy was coming and I'm excited for that, but also excited to hear, a new book is coming from the author of Ghosts of Onyx. Love that book.

Traviss is writing the sequel to Ghosts of Onyx and she is not the author of the original novel, Eric Nylund is.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Popeck said:
Traviss is writing the sequel to Ghosts of Onyx and she is not the author of the original novel, Eric Nylund is.

It's not a sequel either. =\

Press Release said:
New York, NY – July 19, 2010 - Tor Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, LLC—the largest publisher of science fiction in the world is excited to announce that Karen Traviss, who has penned number one bestselling novels in the Star Wars universe, as well as bestselling novels for the Gears of War franchise, will be writing the successor novel to Halo: Ghosts of Onyx in the first part of a multi-book deal to explore the Halo Universe in the wake of the final events of Halo 3.

Karen Traviss Blog said:
It isn't a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx in the sense that you mean a sequel, i.e. a continuation of the same story with the same cast- these novels are just set after it and follow the events of Halo 3. There'll be new characters and new storylines.

Dani said:
Yeah, was caught off guard when I read that yesterday.
It'll probably be a good book, but talk about mis-leading at first. Was so happy to get back to those characters and the implications of where they were.

JMizzlin

As posted in the AusGAF thread...

Halo: Reach has been rated MA15+ in Australia!

This is pretty awesome, considering it's obviously going to be grittier than Halo 3.

HOWEVER:

Classification
MA 15+
Consumer Advice: Strong violence; Gaming experience may change online
Category: Computer Games
Version: MODIFIED
Duration: Variable
Date of Classification: 07/21/2010
Author: BUNGIE
Publisher: MICROSOFT GAME STUDIOS
Country of Origin: USA
Applicant: MICROSOFT PTY LTD
File Number: T10/2925
Classification Number: 242315

What the hell does 'MODIFIED' mean?! Has our game been toned down?!?!?!

HALP US, BUNGLE.

Strange thing to call it a follow up to Ghosts of Onyx when it's not a sequel, or even by the same author. It takes after the events of Halo 3 though? Will this be our first foray into post-Halo 3 Halo lore? That's exciting.

Eye Drop said:
This is pretty awesome, considering it's obviously going to be grittier than Halo 3.

The Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack was also MA15+ even though Halo 2 was just M.

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/5c2433d416948a0bca25759f00820d25/e3a59f2b5def6154ca257671007afc26!OpenDocument

Oh Australia you.

JMizzlin

Genesis Knight said:
The Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack was also MA15+ even though Halo 2 was just M.

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/5c2433d416948a0bca25759f00820d25/e3a59f2b5def6154ca257671007afc26!OpenDocument

Oh Australia you.

Oh? I thought Halo 2 was MA as well?

I'm really anxious to find out what got cut. I can't begin to imagine what could be so bad within a Halo game that it requires having elements changed to meet a 15+ rating. Damn it all :(

Popeck

Dani said:

RAWWRRR! Oh well, maybe then there's a chance Nylund will write a sequel to it someday. We'll see about how well Traviss can handle a whole Halo novel. I read her first Gears of War book and wasn't too impressed.

ToyMachine228 said:
Strange thing to call it a follow up to Ghosts of Onyx when it's not a sequel, or even by the same author. It takes after the events of Halo 3 though? Will this be our first foray into post-Halo 3 Halo lore? That's exciting.

Well actually we did get a glimpse of that in Halo: Evolutions' story Return. They made a motion comic out of it too. Nifty stuff. Of course, it didn't really tell much about the broad picture or UNSC perspective.

feel

Eye Drop said:
Oh? I thought Halo 2 was MA as well?

I'm really anxious to find out what got cut. I can't begin to imagine what could be so bad within a Halo game that it requires having elements changed to meet a 15+ rating. Damn it all :(
359jvw0.jpg

JMizzlin

Letters said:
classymother.jpg

But that's the thing. Gears has chainsaws ripping through people. Halo doesn't. What could possibly be worse than chainsawing someone that warrants the need to modify it?

feel

Eye Drop said:
But that's the thing. Gears has chainsaws ripping through people. Halo doesn't. What could possibly be worse than chainsawing someone that warrants the need to modify it?
Dunno, but unless you're importing, brace for mandatory confetti and compliments about your mom.

VVV stuff lands at 9.30 pm for me, feelsgood.jpg :p

Doodis

Voltron64 said:

Can someone tell me how big these figures are? The only thing I don't like about the McFarland figures is that they're so small. They really do look like toys rather than a collectible figure.

Hope these bad boys are a bit bigger, but still don't cost an arm and a leg. I'm not paying WETA collectible prices.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Doodis said:
Can someone tell me how big these figures are? The only thing I don't like about the McFarland figures is that they're so small. They really do look like toys rather than a collectible figure.

They aren't McFarland figures.

Check the OP. SquareEnix figures.

Makes me ponder the idea of gore in a Halo game.
Perhaps there's a particularly brutal assassination, I do remember Marcus blogging his worries about the likeliness of some of them having to be toned down for ratings.

Zeouterlimits said:

I guarantee you 343 will try this at some point. It'll be called a 'gritty', 'more intense' perspective on the Halo franchise.

Personally, I'll be pumped.

JMizzlin

The plot thickens.

20 days earlier it was classified as 'MA15+', and the version 'Original'. However, since then, it has been rated MA15+ with a 'MODIFIED' version. What would warrant this re-assessment considering the original code had already been classified?

Dead

well not really...yet
Doodis said:

Hope these bad boys are a bit bigger, but still don't cost an arm and a leg. I'm not paying WETA collectible prices.
Theyre like ~9 inches tall, and cost about $35-40, going by past Play Arts Kai figures

Zeouterlimits said:
Perhaps there's a particularly brutal assassination, I do remember Marcus blogging his worries about the likeliness of some of them having to be toned down for ratings.
I hope for this. I think 10 years on Bungie should roll with the idea that any fan back then will be 20+ by now. Just give me meh gore already :p

Top Bottom