• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Enabled Games Need More and Properly Labeled Settings/Options

Occam

It's nice that some older titles like The Last of Us are getting Pro updates, but what is sorely lacking are more choices and properly labeled options for PS4 Pro. In the game settings it should say "PS4 Pro Options", allowing you to toggle framerate/texture quality/resolution.

While there is no need for dozens of graphical settings like in PC games, two or three simple options certainly wouldn't be overwhelming for anyone.
Furthermore, there absolutely should be a 1080p option for PS4 Pro enabled games, too (with better framerate/image quality).
It's unacceptable that games like Skyrim and Watchdogs 2 have better framerates on regular PS4.

Right now some games have no indication Pro mode is on, and no way to turn it off.

Maybe the best idea would be for Sony to standardize this.

jmga

The problem with this is that developers would need to test those multiple configurations, unless you want the disaster of launch games to keep happening, and that would cost money.

I think people who look for options and customization on consoles are a not profitable minority, and publishers don't think otherwise.

McSpidey

I think the fewer options the better, especially when it comes to texture quality/resolution given core assets are largely going to be the same on PS4 and the Pro. Consoles are fixed performance hardware, it shouldn't be up to the player to pick or tune the required compromise. Devs just need to go a good job ensuring the game they've made plays nice.

HDR however should definitely be a toggle and calibration options should be included because of how much there is out of the hands of devs/platform holders and in the hands of careless TV manufacturers.

laxu

I like having simple "1080p 60 fps", "1080p 30fps but higher graphics" or "4k 30 fps" presets as you see on Rise of the Tomb Raider. Enough to let people prioritize what they feel is most important. These would also be hugely helpful if a game has a bug that makes them perform subpar before it is patched. For example in Deus Ex Mankind divided turning some options off on PC removed artifacts and performance issues before those were fixed in patches.

Plasma

Banned
I think it needs something at the system level like an icon on the game tile that lets you know which games are pro enabled.

Caayn

No thank you. I want consoles to keep their simplicity. The current "High Frame rate" and "High resolution mode" that is implemented by a couple of devs is fine with me.

I don't think that Sony should enforce that mode X or option X should be in a game.

tommyguns

I really just want a setting in every game at least stating "pro mode enabled"

For ratchet and clank for example..I know it's automatic and senses you're playing a pro but I would like that clarity

HeelPower

This really needs to happen!

At least so people stop asking ''did my pro patch work? Do I need to do anything in the settings?''

The game needs to let you know that its running on Pro Settings ,and to choose accordingly.

For ratchet and clank for example..I know it's automatic and senses you're playing a pro but I would like that clarity

I agree very much.

Lucifon

Id also like this. Watch dogs 2 has no settings whatsoever. So I assume it's running pro optimizations but there's no way to even know.

It would be great if Sony just said to developers, they should just make 2 clearly labelled modes for the Pro.

- 4K/30fps mode (native or checkerboard)
- 1080p/60fps mode.

Just keep it nice and simple, if developers want to add more modes like Tomb Raider, then that's up to them, but I don't see the need to make lots of different modes when 2 would cover most peoples needs.

Plum

I think it needs something at the system level like an icon on the game tile that lets you know which games are pro enabled.

I'm surprised this isn't the case really. The mish-mash of backwards compatability means the average consumer will have no idea what games their Pro will utilize if they were released before October/November this year unless they search online.

Deepo

Nope, I get enough of that on PC. All I want, in addition to what's already there, is a way to play the PS4 base version, in case the Pro mode is shit.

topplehat

Yeah since it's up to the developer, every game is going to end up being different in this regard. I don't think there will be any sort of standardization to let you know if it is truly running in "pro mode" or not.

I would love some indication that a game has pro features available/installed. If I didn't look up games online, I would have no idea which ones were enhanced for the Pro.

And let's not forget we need ability to enforce PS4 base mode on Pro as a defense mechanism against bad developers doing stuff like TLoU and Deus Ex.

sn0man

These get us 80% there. Having a simple pro logo next to the games that support it in the UI does a clever job of letting people know it's working. Simple and leaves no doubt to the average console consumer that they got what they paid for. It would make sense for this icon to be in the UI as you navigate around the PS system and also when you are staring at the title screen of the game.

The second thing that would get us all the way there is a toggle in the system options (logically near the resolution selection) that would engage pro mode in hardware regardless of if a game supports the pro or not. Leave all the game specific options to the developers but if a game or patch doesn't work well then it'd be nice to just flip a switch and force base PS4 hardware functionality.

Bonus: game developers should have a pro on or off toggle.

sn0man

Nope, I get enough of that on PC. All I want, in addition to what's already there, is a way to play the PS4 base version, in case the Pro mode is shit.

I should've read farther down. This post is ace. Indeed this would be perfect and it is kind of surprising Sony didn't include it on the 1.0 version of the pro hardware for exactly the situatuion you describe.

I don't want a PC, it should stay as true to a console as it can. I rather let the devs decide the best features for a target hardware.

One or two toggles is not a problem, but PC like graphical settings is a huge downgrade for me.

Mung

Doubt most console gamers want these kind of options. It's a major turn off for me. Certainly don't want those performance threads for ps4 *shudder*

Occam

Precisely. At the very least it should tell you when it's on and also allow you to turn it off.

Quick and easy pick

Framerate or resolution

Option to target 60 fps (whatever resolution)
Option to target 4K (steady 30 fps at the maximum resolution possible)

That's what I want, and that's what I think they should do.

sn0man

Quick and easy pick

Framerate or resolution

Option to target 60 fps (whatever resolution)
Option to target 4K (steady 30 fps at the maximum resolution possible)

That's what I want, and that's what I think they should do.

A third option that turns it off and makes the game run in "normal PS4" mode. I'd prefer these 3 in each game with Sony mandating the option if a developer is going to support PS4 Pro.

2 reasons:
1.) it would be fun to compare stock graphics and settings to Pro upgrades with a simple toggle in a pause menu.
2.) if a patch or game was having problems, a simple way to get to base mode is helpful until a patch comes.

DBT85

I think options, but limited options are best. One of the primary things console gamers say about PC games is "too many options".

So, TLOUR for example has 1800p60ish and 2160p30. It's not abundantly clear what you're actually getting when you change the mode though, so better labling would be good.

Ratchet only had 2160p30, there are no options for it.

If you're having options, label it properly. If no options then its no bother.

Sorry to bump this, but PS4 Pro games definitely need an optional 1080p mode with improved image quality and framerate.

For instance Watchdogs 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1314486

The game on Pro seems to have a consistent issues with alpha effects with drops down to 27 fps. Why stop rendering at 1800p Checkerboard to go down to 1080 to fix that, when there are a multitude of steps in between that would lock the framerate back at 30 where the devs clearly intend it to sit.

If you're asking for games to be 1080p30 on PS4 and 1080p60 on Pro, that's just not going to happen. If its 1080p60ish on PS4 then it would be doable, but with the extra GPU they could render at 1440, still get a lock and 1080 users get a nice clean image.

The next firmware update should offer a base/Pro toggle on a game per game basis, along with a UI notification when the game boots. Sony really dropped the ball here.

farisr

HDR however should definitely be a toggle and calibration options should be included because of how much there is out of the hands of devs/platform holders and in the hands of careless TV manufacturers.
Yeah, this should definitely be a thing. There are people saying that there is a big difference in Uncharted and Ratchet, while I see some difference, I don't see much (at least not to the point of "wow!" or "crazy difference" like some posters are saying). But, then there's Forza Horizon 3, which I had to adjust the HDR slider for, and definitely shows a really big difference.

So maybe the folks seeing a big difference have TVs that fall in line or close to the displays that Naughty Dog and Insomniac tuned their HDR modes on than mine does, and Horizon 3's adjustment options help my TV get closer to that and is the reason why I can see such a big improvement with its HDR.

Unknown?

It's nice that some older titles like The Last of Us are getting Pro updates, but what is sorely lacking are more choices and properly labeled options for PS4 Pro. In the game settings it should say "PS4 Pro Options", allowing you to toggle framerate/texture quality/resolution.

While there is no need for dozens of graphical settings like in PC games, two or three simple options certainly wouldn't be overwhelming for anyone.
Furthermore, there absolutely should be a 1080p option for PS4 Pro enabled games, too (with better framerate/image quality).
It's unacceptable that games like Skyrim and Watchdogs 2 have better framerates on regular PS4.

Right now some games have no indication Pro mode is on, and no way to turn it off.

Maybe the best idea would be for Sony to standardize this.
As this is a bit old of a thread I'll point out that WD2 doesn't have worse framerate anymore and has been patched. Even then it was only worse in certain scenarios and 95% of your time playing it won't have those drops. No need to worry about that now.

Also most games do have options so far.

It would be great if Sony just said to developers, they should just make 2 clearly labelled modes for the Pro.

- 4K/30fps mode (native or checkerboard)
- 1080p/60fps mode.

Just keep it nice and simple, if developers want to add more modes like Tomb Raider, then that's up to them, but I don't see the need to make lots of different modes when 2 would cover most peoples needs.

I completely agree with this. Go as crazy as you want with how many modes they add but at the bare minimum should have 4K/30fps and 1080p/60fps.

WD2 has a better framerate on OG ps4? That really wasn't the case for me. It wasn't exactly bad on my OG but it's been noticeably smoother on my pro.

That's not even mentioning that the pro doesn't suffer from being able to outrace the geometry load speed like my OG did twice in only a few hours.

Unknown?

WD2 has a better framerate on OG ps4? That really wasn't the case for me. It wasn't exactly bad on my OG but it's been noticeably smoother on my pro.

That's not even mentioning that the pro doesn't suffer from being able to outrace the geometry load speed like my OG did twice in only a few hours.
DF stated it rarely happened but people are spreading misinformation. Also 1.04 fixed performance issues.

Top Bottom