• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale '16 HIDDEN GEMS thread

Tizoc

Aight kids time for me to drop a list of my 100+ MUST PLAY STEAM GAMES, CURATED BY THE MOST OPTIMISTICALLY BLIND HYPEST, CROM PRAISING AND GAF'S UNSTOPPABLE HYPE-BEAST TIZOC

Price varies depending on your region, at the very least consider wishlisting them if you’re interested in them but can’t get them for the time being
Aviary Attorney

This is an Adventure game in similar vein to the Ace Attorney/GyakutenSaiban series, except the entire characters and visual design is based off J.J. Grandville's work, and taking place in 18th century France. The game is short, but the chapters have a few multiple endings that affect the dialog & events of later chapters. Simply put if you are looking for a simple adventure game with good humor, this is def. the game you're looking for, and I urge you to give the game a chance
5UlcuDM.jpg

Batman Arkham series
I know it's odd to recommend these titles what with them being discounted at least once every month, but the games, from a gameplay standpoint, still hold up well IMO and are worth checking out if you like Metroidvania-style games (Apple) for one thing. Citrus has the usual modern gaming open world elements, but the core combat system is improved and I found the overall mechanics more polished than in Asylum, as well as having some good boss fights.
Arkham Oranges and Kiwi are both good although Kiwi is over bloated with the open world design nonsense.

Binary Domain

If you like 3rd person shooters def. give this game a play, although be advised that the game works better with a controller. I did a quick write up of it in here if you want some more info on the game:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161377
Do it for Big Bo.

Runner2: FLoRA

Runner2 was the latest 2D platformer in the Bit.Trip series. I personally found it a fun game and I had a blast playing through it. The main challenge comes in attempting to get the highest score possible, although you could play it til completion on a single difficulty and that would be enough.
Check out the other Bit.Trip games to find any that would interest you too.

The Blackwell series

The Blackwell series are Point n' Click Adventure games from Wadjet Eye and are among the best PnC games you could play. Consisting of 5 games, they follow the adventures of Rosa and Joey who help out ghosts pass onto the afterlife, an act which is easier said than done, as the duo need to convince these spirits that they ARE dead and accept it before they can leave the mortal world.
The games are quite simple, but the writing and characters are quite good.
 
Broken Age

The overall impressions on this PnC game are divisive, but I find it to be a fine adventure game with great art, good humor and characters. If you like PnC Adventure games then I strongly recommend giving this game a chance.

Broken Sword 1 and 2

While GOG.com has the original BS1, the releases available on Steam are good too. The first 2 BS games are widely regarded as the best in the genre, filled with great characters, humor and puzzles, and are a good starting point for anyone who would like to get into the PnC genre. There is also a goat in the game that you won't soon forget.

Tizoc

Brothers: A tale of two sons

This is a simple adventure game that can be played with controllers or keyboard. There's no major challenge or puzzles to overcome though, but it can still be a game that players of all skills levels and ages can play.

Brutal Legend

An Action & RTS hybrid filled to the brim with HEAVY METAL, and Jack Black as the protagonist. Even if you dislike RTS, you can just set the difficulty to easy and just play through it for the Heavy Metal inspired game that it is.

Castle of Illusion HD

THIS GAME HAS BEEN DELISTED

A remake of the SEGA Genesis/MD classic starring Mickey Mouse. It is a simple 2D+3D platformer with nice visuals, simple gameplay and a wonderful soundtrack. Also Sully from the Uncharted series is the narrator (whom you can disable, but why would you want that?
 
Castlevania Lords of Shadow series

The first game is an action game that’s a little too God of War-like than it should be, and bearing the Castlevania name.While higher difficulties could prove a challenge, certain enemies even on Normal take a while to be defeated. Doesn’t help that due to the fixed camera attempting to parry can be risky esp. when unblockable attacks use similar animation for regular attacks with some enemies.
Gabriel's attacks have nice weight to them when they connect. While this game is nothing like its predecessors, it can scratch that God of War (3D action beat'em-up) itch….assuming you can stomach QTEs. It does have some decent puzzle elements which can be skipped. It is an overall decent if flawed game.

Mirror of Fate HD is a 2D action adventure game that is closer to the usual metroidvania fare.

Lords of Shadow 2 offers great improvements on the overall gameplay including a No QTE option, and takes a more Metroidvania approach as you revisit previous areas to get upgrades. LoS2’s biggest flaw however are the stealth sections which really feel out of place especially when you get a combat section right after them.
Really the entire series are flawed but have some positive elements in them, such that it is best to play them for yourself to judge them better.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

While the visuals may not be the best, it has a good story and voice acting.

Contradiction

SteamGAF's #10 GotY 2015 title. This FMV Adventure game follows Detective Inspector Jenks, aka the man with many reaction faces, as he investigates a murder in a rural British town. The acting and characters are good, but Jenks steals the show with his vigorous performance.

Costume Quest 1+2

A turn based jRPG-style game with a Halloween theme. It's short with lots of charm and good humor, making it accessible to players of all ages.

DD

Nimbus, my all time indie favorite is 75% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/50000/
Seriously, it's one of the best level designs I've ever seen in this industry. Just as good as any Nintendo or Valve game. Very relaxing too, but also really hard to get everything if you want to. It's dirty cheap, so give it a try, folks!

gngf123

Amazing indeed! Just checked out Battle C and wow!

He really needs to get some sort of work with a STG/Shmup indie dev.

It's pretty great isn't it? My personal favourites are Sanctuary Arp II and Fire World.

There's also a piano version of the OST which is nice.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Great thread. I'll add one:

Duskers - US$14.99
header.jpg

Duskers is a rogue-like sci-fi game, where you explore derelict ships and outposts using autonomous drones in order to survive. You issue commands to your drones using a command prompt, and a robust command language. They are your eyes and ears. By giving each drone different upgrades, they can perform different tasks, such as gathering resources, interfacing with computers, and dropping mines and traps for enemies. Few games project an atmosphere like Duskers. When a mission goes south, and you have to problem solve using every trick at your disposal to save as many drones as you can, Duskers reaches near-masterpiece status.

Wensih

Samorost 3. If you love beautiful, original worlds in your point-and-clicks and agree with me that music can make for 50+% of an enjoyable gaming experience, then you HAVE to play this. One of my favourite games of this year and it's already 50% off. The soundtrack is GOAT quality.

header.jpg

Quoted to give this more love.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214830/

The gameplay is very unique and veried, fast paced and fun, with amazing music and addictive fast gameplay, making it the only must play title on the PSP.

The Steam port is one of the biggest surprises for me and it's the definitive edition of the game, combining content from the 360 and the PSP.

Just so that people are aware, you should buy the second game in the series (Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming) as it comes bundled with the first game for the same price. $2.49 is a good price for the first game, but both games at that price is just a bonkers amount of content. One of the only series I can think of where I bought the game multiple times (PSP, X360 and PC for the first game, PSP import and PC for the second) and played though it every time with no regrets.

It's also worth noting that the game has the same writer as the Senran Karuga games (no, really) and just like that series the game's writing is far better than it has any business being.

These two games are amazing, I highly recommend them. The second one especially, the gameplay is near perfect and I ended up sitting my ass down to finish the game 100% when it came out.

inner-G

Banned

This is better known as ANNO 1404 outside the US.

I don't even like strategy games and I like this. You get resources, build settlements, discover new land, run trade routes and the graphics/atmosphere is great.

A steal for $3.xx

Tizoc

Critter Crunch

Capybara's earliest game is an arcade-style puzzle game where you clear rows to earn score. It features' Capy's trademark fluid and colorful animations, and is a must for any fans of Puzzle games ala Bust a move.

Darksiders (Warmastered)
The first Darksiders game was described as being Legend of Zelda-like, or better put, an Action Adventure game. It features character designs by Joe Mad, a famous comic book artist from the 90s, and Liam O'brien as the voice of War, the game's protagonist. While the combat may remind players of God of War, it also features a few light puzzles and exploration, and it ties it all together in a decent structure.
All in all if you're looking for a good Action Adventure game DS1 is def. worth checking out. Make sure you get the updated Warmastered ver. though.

Darksiders 2
DS2 is a divisive game; while the combat is improved, the entire game structure has Death going through fetch quests. The Adventure elements from the first game are still here, but the game tosses an RPG loot system into the mix. While it has its flaws, such as various stages/dungeons being longer than they have any right to be, the platforming & puzzle elements are there, and the improved combat system is fun to dabble in. The soundtrack has some nice tracks as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZmurKkDuc

Deadpool

Deadpool is a character action game from High Moon Studios, one of the last games they developed before being regulated to making Call of Duty maps. The combat system is fine, but the main highlight is of course Deadpool's humorous quips. This is a game that's for Deadpool fans, and even if you've never read the comics or watched the movie, it's a decent action game to play through. It should be noted that Hard is hella hard and unfair, and best approached after maxing out all upgrades.

Mushihime-sama & Deathsmiles
DoDonPachiResurrection
Let me start off by saying that I don't like Bullet Hell games. Luckily Mushihime-sama (pronounced Moo-she-he-may-sah-mah) has an easy mode which cuts down on the number of enemy bullets on screen making it closer to older traditional Shoot'em-ups. It is based on this that I recommend it and Deathsmiles. Both are solid Shoot'em-ups from Cave and Deathsmiles has some of the most batshit awesome bosses ever
The final boss in Deathsmiles is
Demonic Imperator Tyrannosatan
. I am NOT kidding.

ZEALShmup series

Published by Degica these are traditional shmups. While I'm not that expert a shmup player, I've found them enjoyable and their soundtrack is quite nice. Really you can't go wrong with more shmups in your life.

Devil May Cry 4 SE

This updated ver. of DMC4 features 3 additional playable characters and is overall a good port. Get Motivated~
 
Disgaea 1

While the sprites are outdated, the core gameplay is still solid, and Prinnies are always at the ready to be thrown at enemies and blow them up, dood!

DmC 2013

One of the biggest advantages that DmC 2013 has is that it's a well optimized port that even low end laptops could run it at highest settings, whichmight explain why it's the bestselling DMC game on Steam. While the core game is OK, there are essential mods that improve the overall game, which you should install to make the game's more irritating elements (namely color coded enemies) less frustrating.

koma

header.jpg

Not sure if this is really hidden, but Duck Game is one of the best local multiplayer games ever: " Enter the futuristic year of 1984, an age where ducks run wild in a frantic battle for glory. Blast your friends with Shotguns, Net Guns, Mind Control Rays, Saxophones, Magnet Guns, and much, much more. This is DUCK GAME. Don't blink." http://store.steampowered.com/app/312530

header.jpg

"Tower of Guns is a fast paced first-person-shooter for the twitch gamer... with a few randomized elements to keep it fresh with each playthrough. It's a short burst "Lunch Break FPS"... not unlike Binding of Isaac mixed with Doom 2."
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266110

header.jpg

"Dyscourse is an interactive choice-based narrative adventure game where you journey through a stylized world of choice and consequence. Choose wisely. "
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234920

header.jpg

If you loved Deadly Premonition, you may love this too. It's not perfect, but it's still a bizarre adventure and super cheap now: "The Last Dogma is a surreal black comedy exploration adventure game set in the year 1999 of an alternate reality world, where US actively campaigns for world domination after being disappointed with the results of the Cold War."
http://store.steampowered.com/app/374510

header.jpg

"A ridiculous live-action B-movie adventure you will never forget! You wake up to find your town in chaos. Everyone has gone crazy and is just attacking each other! A cryptic message is the secret to survival-- Press X to not die!"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/402330

header.jpg

"Create crazy, yet functional, custom vehicles to solve missions with your own unique style!"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41740

header.jpg

"Dropsy is a non-traditional take on the classic point and click adventure formula starring the game’s perpetually carefree namesake clown as he explores a richly detailed world full of colorful characters and sinister secrets, doling out hugs along the way."
http://store.steampowered.com/app/274350

header.jpg

F-Zero mixed with Micro Machines, and a Visual Novel / Adventure Game: " Set in a futuristic Odyssey, "The Next Penelope" is a fast paced action racing game with loud colors, an original story and a challenging risk-reward system. Weapons can be mixed and used at any time, but all these abilities cost vital energy! "
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332250

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ryse : Son of Rome $4.99 , 75% OFF

One of the most under-rated game of XboxOne. For $5 its really worth it!

This game has no place in this thread. Unlike the others who are "hidden gems" this game is an over-marketed turd of a game and if there were to be a gem hidden in it--it's well hidden.

Skittles

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204530/

Currently 75% off. From the webpage:

If I were to compare it to anything, I would say that its a top-down version of starship troopers. well, it's also got base building, but essentially it boils down to you having only a certain number of units and using those units to fight endless hordes of aliens until you're able to push back and take out their hive. Fun campaign and its an absolute steal at its current sale price.
I'm gonna recommend this too. Let me just say that the game is absolutely brutal at times. Incredibly stressful when you have to manage everything or be swarmed like a joke. So rewarding when you break through and systematically crush the horde.

yuraya

Both can be bought for 8$

The best and most under appreciated 3D platformers of this gen imo. And there aren't that many 3D platformers. Probably underappreciated because they are made by Ubisoft and the Unity engine (both are hated for many reasons) but they shouldn't be. Really great games and the very positive steam reviews are a good indicator of it. They are also very peaceful and relaxing games so if you are looking for something like that I strongly recommend them.

Every goddamn game on my wishlist has a significant discount this sale. This is the sale I've been waiting for. Unfortunately I went all in on a PSVR set up last month, and can't justify a single buy :(

That said, I was glad to see someone mention Duskers. Not that I can recommend it from personal experience, but it was the top game on my wishlist. Just sounds really different to everything else I have, and a really good slice of tense, cerebral, atmospheric sci-fi.

Great thread. I'll add one:

Duskers - US$14.99
header.jpg

Duskers is a rogue-like sci-fi game, where you explore derelict ships and outposts using autonomous drones in order to survive. You issue commands to your drones using a command prompt, and a robust command language. They are your eyes and ears. By giving each drone different upgrades, they can perform different tasks, such as gathering resources, interfacing with computers, and dropping mines and traps for enemies. Few games project an atmosphere like Duskers. When a mission goes south, and you have to problem solve using every trick at your disposal to save as many drones as you can, Duskers reaches near-masterpiece status.

Assault Android Cactus (50% off - € 6,99)
filament.gif

My favourite twin-stick shooter in years because of how expertly crafted it is, regardless of it being WitchBlade's debut title. It may come off of as primarily a co-op experience (local only for what it's worth) but it carries enough meat to its bones to still be a worthwhile single player endeavour, especially when gunning for the S+ ranks per stage. For starters: although it doesn't seem that way on the surface, there is very little randomness that comes into play here, allowing for plenty of room for refinement in one's approach to a level or boss fight. The often dynamic arenas themselves can pose as big of a threat as the robot opposition (something you rarely see in a shooter of this style) with hardly any 'gimmick' recycling to boot, with the enemies simultaneously being sufficiently varied. There's 9 playable androids to choose from, nearly all of them with a noticeably different strategy yet still viable to achieve the highest ratings with. Said characters vary from someone wielding a railgun with proximinity mines on the side, someone who spews lava whilst carrying a giant fuckin' drill, someone who can only damage others through her separate robot (meaning you have to pay attention to three different things simultaneously) or someone with a chargeable vorpal blade allowing for long-distance and highly damaging dashes. The soundtrack is upbeat and compliments the frantic action nicely, there's a lot of effort put into audiovisual readability to prevent a need to constantly glance over to the HUD for crucial information, the bosses are designed around reasonable 'bullet hell' patterns without overstaying their welcome and there exist numerous EX Options (first-person camera, visual filters, upping the enemy count et cetera) for a change of pace. Several other modes too outside of the campaign, such as a Boss Rush, an Infinite Survival and a Daily Challenge.

Or just watch this official trailer. Sure sold me when I first laid eyes on this game.

Downwell (66% off - € 1,01)
WX74zrw.gif

Fast-paced vertical rogue-lite with an ingenious combo system that balances some level of risk-reward to reap its rewards. The idea behind it is simple but with enough nuance in its underlying systems to remain engaging (especially so once you unlock Hard Mode) and its soundtrack is also composed by the same guy who was responsible for Spelunky's, so catchy tunes were all but guaranteed. Certainly one of this year's most underrated gems and besides, it's dirt cheap right now. In-depth analysis by Game Maker's Toolkit if you need more convincing.

Pix the Cat (80% off - € 1,99)
pixthecatx1qe9.gif

'Pac-Snake on Crack featuring cute little ducklings' ought to be a concise enough description!

Lethal League (70% off - € 3,59)
hbtqlc.gif
xjubpo.gif

One-hit kill Battle Pong with parries and nuanced characters (including supers) at breakneck speed. Great soundtrack and supported with GGPO netplay too.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution (70% off - € 1,49)
sboahk.gif

Action-packed indie game with a unique control method that's simultaneously closest to a Treasure game in overall style without being devoid of its own inventive, stand-out ideas. Doesn't outstay its welcome length-wise and has sufficient replay value in between the higher difficulties that properly change the swing of things and different gameplay hooks for each of the unlockable characters. Made by Konjak, who's currently working on Iconoclasts and really has a knack for no-nonsense retro gameplay; just look at Legend of Princess, a short vertical slice freeware experiment he whipped up on a whim so he could try his hand on on the Zelda formula. I digress, so check out the awesome trailer for Noitu Love 2.

Maldita Castilla EX (20% off - € 9,59)
jhwduu.gif
krshng.gif

Criminally underrated. Up there with the likes of Shovel Knight with regards to how polished and faithful it is to the era of videogames it's paying tribute to, while still offering enough concepts of its own to differentiate itself from the source material. Maldita Castilla also successfully makes you feel like a bad-ass; your actions may appear simplistic, but due to the limitations imposed to the player combined with how precise the hit- and hurtboxes are, some of the pixel perfect clutch moments feel extremely gratifying once you (spontaneously or otherwise) pull them off.

These kind of situations - deliberate by the developer or otherwise - still end up posing a very fair challenge too, thanks to the snappy controls. If it wasn't for the aforementioned accuracy in hit detection in conjunction with all of your abilities feeling perfectly responsive, then the difficulty curve would've certainly been rubbish instead of the incredibly delicate balance that has been struck. Another element that's commendable about this game's design is how subtle it is in gradually teaching the player, to the point these are susceptible to being unnoticed. There's some easy-to-overlook signposting going on with the environment that can assist you in dealing with certain matters, such as for example inconspicuous landmarks that actually highlight 'ideal' positioning vs obstacles or an unobtrusive tutorial for a specific kind of secret you need to acquire. A lot of thought was put into Maldita Castilla, down to the smallest of details and it was absolutely needed given the intent of clearing this game with no continues (or a minimal amount of them anyways) if you want to squeeze the most out of it.

Bottom line: charming pixel art, catchy old-school soundtrack, sufficient replayability for completionists and just all-around stellar gameplay matched with strict yet reasonable hardships. Doesn't happen often either that I have the drive / motivation to attempt 1CC'ing or no-hitting a game, yet Maldita Castilla passes that 'test' with flying colors. Developer Locomalito has an excellent track record too: several retro games made available for free (including an older version of Maldita) such as a spot-on R-Type kind of shmup named Hydorah.

1,01$/€
Falling down a well was never so addictive.

Spelunky -80%, FTL -70%.
Two of the best indie games ever made. Everybody probably already owns them though.

Hahah, are you me? Three of my favorite games, and particularly FTL and Spelunky are two of my ten top games of all time across 35 years of gaming. Listen to this man. No, fucking listen to this man right here.

Edit after reviewing all the posts. Solid recommendations everyone, especially those from Tizoc and Crab Milk Mickey who as usual mirror my own tastes closely (I already have all from both posts, except Aviary Attorney which I'll wait for a deeper discount for).

So far here's my haul from the rest of the thread, can't beat this price ratio. :)

Edit 2: Except I already owned Sanctuary and Out There and didn't know, which I guess says a lot...

Erebus

Refunct
"Refunct is a peaceful, short first-person platformer about restoring a vibrant world."

It's a pure platformer without a time limit or enemies. All about figuring out 'how to I get up there?'. It gets the feel correct for the jumping, which is no easy task in first person.
95% of the 2,215 user reviews for this game are positive. Well worth a dollar.

That was rather short but enjoyed it immensely. Thanks.

HF2014

Gameplay is shite and very repetitive tho

Well, if you like QTE gameplay, its very good. As you progress, you can choose the moves you do, its very interesting. I seriously loved that game, just bought it back on Steam! Its for me a fun ride nobody seem to care.

Tizoc

Well, if you like QTE gameplay, its very good. As you progress, you can choose the moves you do, its very interesting. I seriously loved that game, just bought it back on Steam! Its for me a fun ride nobody seem to care.
qte gameplay isnt something that people like like so much as give a pass for

XShagrath

To each their own. I actually enjoy QTE sections in games. At least in the past (and even in games I've played recently), it allows for a much more cinematic experience than you can get with a completely player-controlled situation.

StereoVsn

It's $5. Let's put that in perspective. While the game isn't great at say $30-$40, for $5 it's certainly more then worth a look.

That said, this thread is turning into more greatest Indies on Steam or greatest bargains. Let's just say FTL for example is not a "hidden" game to bbe discovered.

Javier23

Banned
To each their own. I actually enjoy QTE sections in games. At least in the past (and even in games I've played recently), it allows for a much more cinematic experience than you can get with a completely player-controlled situation.
True. I've also found that watching a movie without any player input whatsoever is the ultimate cinematic experience.

Tizoc

It's $5. Let's put that in perspective. While the game isn't great at say $30-$40, for $5 it's certainly more then worth a look.

That said, this thread is turning into more greatest Indies on Steam or greatest bargains. Let's just say FTL for example is not a "hidden" game to bbe discovered.
There far better options for $5 tho :x
Tho to be a little fair, if u wanna play ryse to see its graphics and how it looks on your rig then yeah i can see wanting to play thru it, but dont expect muxh from the gAmeplay
so for $5 it wouldnt be bad to play it as a curiosity but dont expect much out of it outside the fancy graphics

Haunted

My problem, at least when I played it back then, was the lack of variety for enemies. I think there was like...2 or 3.
Hm, I think there are almost as many enemy types as there are in the original X-Com. Though they're introduced/sprinkled throughout the game, with some only appearing towards the very end of the campaign.

It's been a while since I've played it, but off the top of my head there are
two types of hulks/zombies, three types of spec ops humans, two types of sentry turrets and two types of the monoliths/aliens towards the end
Not the biggest variety, but enough to keep things interesting, I thought.

At the very least, I think it's well worth giving it a shot for 3,39€ if you're into tactical RPGs. :)

XShagrath

True. I've also found that watching a movie without any player input whatsoever is the ultimate cinematic experience.
There are many different types of games, as well as types of gamers. Do dismiss QTE as something that people "give a pass to" is silly. I know a lot of people don't like them, and I completely understand where they're coming from. There are lots of game types and game elements that I don't like, but I am not dismissive of them being valid concepts.

I'll end my side of this now, as it really doesn't add to the topic.

I did enjoy Ryse though, and it's definitely worth $5 if you want a nice looking game with some decent combat and story (IMO). There are also a lot of collectibles to track down if that's your thing. I personally love games that have tons of collectibles, so that was up my alley as well.

Monumma

Not that hidden gems:

header.jpg

Unholy Heights 3.19€ (-20%)
Make monsters live in your building, collect their rent and then sacrifice them to complete quests and safeguard the money you estorted them.

header_586x192.jpg

Hexcells Complete Pack 2.69€ (-70%)
Puzzle game, the thought process required is similar to Picross.

header.jpg

Regency Solitaire 4.99€ (-50%)
Addictive solitaire game. It's the cards part in Pocket Card Jockey but you have to make a dude marry you instead of winning a race.

header.jpg

Long Live The Queen 4.99€ (-50%)
Can you make the princess survive until she inherit the throne?
No, you can't.

header.jpg

One Way Heroics 1.49€ (-50%)
RPG where you can only go to the right. Seems like it also comes in 2 different bundles with dlc/sequel, but I have only played this vanilla version.

header.jpg

Mount Your Friends 1.99€ (-60%)
Mount your friends!

Platy

I think I post this every time, but Out There Somewhere is 24 cents. It's a fantastic little platformer with a cool twist to the gameplay. You can finish it in maybe 2 hours or less, but there is a surprising amount of replayability because the gameplay is so fun that you want to do everything. I got about 5 hours out of it in total. I got it for 9 cents, but it's definitely worth it for this price too.

Nimbus, my all time indie favorite is 75% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/50000/
Seriously, it's one of the best level designs I've ever seen in this industry. Just as good as any Nintendo or Valve game. Very relaxing too, but also really hard to get everything if you want to. It's dirty cheap, so give it a try, folks!

We are best friends now =D

HF2014

3 millions Shenmue fans wont be happy to hear this my friend ;) . You simply like it or not. I think its well crafted in Ryse in between real time.

nynt9

3 millions Shenmue fans wont be happy to hear this my friend ;) . You simply like it or not. I think its well crafted in Ryse in between real time.

How Shenmue does QTEs and how Ryse does them are totally different though. Context matters. Shenmue uses QTEs creatively to put you inside the environment whereas Ryse uses them as replacement for combat gameplay to do "press A for awesome" finishers. The games have different audiences and goals so comparing them is silly and perhaps disingenuous.

I love the time you guys invest in presenting these things, it's really appreciated.

I want to throw up a ton of games I haven't seen on here yet to suggest but I simply don't have the time to make it all nice and pretty. =/

prudislav

Overlooked harcore puzzle platformer with fully-voiced sci-fi comedy narrative
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322680/
Compelte edition for $4,75 (-66%) [base game is $3,05]

One of the best puzzle platformers on the store with nice soundtrack and art and stellar voiceacting

Best game ever about platforming rectangles
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220780/
$1,99€ (-75%)
amazing minimalistic platformer about friendshim and jumping with stellar narative and voiceacting

ggx2ac

FTL: 2.5mn owners according to steam spy.

Haha I assumed hidden gem meant a well reviewed game with niche sales numbers.

ggx2ac

2.5 million is niche sale numbers. o.0

I wasn't the one that suggested FTL. Just the fact that there are a few games being suggested here as questionable about being hidden gems since sure, they are well received/well reviewed but they are not games with niche sales numbers.

Thomas was alone is another example above, 800,000+ owners on Steam or Ryse has 720,000+ owners on Steam.

There's a point where a game no longer becomes a hidden gem and I guess that starts when it reaches an arbitrary number of sales that it pretty much becomes a well known game.

I'd guess that any game under 100,000 owners could be considered niche and if well received, a hidden gem but, it's all arbitrary.

Edit: Example.

I'd just recommend the Ys games as good games to buy, not hidden gems because they don't have niche sales numbers.

While Gurumin and Xanadu Next I would classify as hidden gems because they are well received but have less than 100,000 sales.

Tizoc

Since Ryse got mentioned I figured I'd post about another Action game with a stylish visual design.

Killer is Dead

A 3D action game from Grasshopper Manufacture, featuring Suda51's trademark weirdness, mixed with a simple combat system. The PC port is good, and you can unlock the FPS to 60 or even 120 if you want, in addition you can even disable the HUDs. The following links direct to the game's Steam Community Guides explaining these simple fixes and more:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262696032
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262842692

This is something of an interesting point you bring up- When I started compiling my list, going by my Steam library I began by listing all the games I had played and enjoyed that would be 'hidden gems.' I eventually ended up just listing all the games I liked and was too lazy to edit them out :V
The thread concept could be expanded to act as a starting guide for anyone who wants to start playing games on PC, granted they'd be seeing over 100+ titles mentioned through such a thread, but it'd be a little more convenient than searching through steam or just looking at the top 20 list, esp. since he'd be getting these recommendations with impressions from GAFfers which could help them in their buying decisions.

Yeah well.. its not all hidden gems per se but I guess we could call them cheap great games that got buried out of sight in this sale and could use a kind reminder?

Tizoc

Yeah well.. its not all hidden gems per se but I guess we could call them cheap great games that got buried out of sight in this sale and could use a kind reminder?

Hmm

Steam Winter Seal '16 Awesome Games curated by PCGAF
How's that for the next title?

Top Bottom