• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale '16 HIDDEN GEMS thread

Tizoc

The Guilty Gear series
Guilty Gear XX #R

#R is the first rebalance of the GGXX series. This PC release runs & plays fine and has a story mode. At first glance the GG series’ mechanics would appear too advanced for casuals but one can still play it casually and still enjoy it. If you're looking for a single player fighter, #R is a good starting point to get an idea of the series' story and gameplay.

Guilty Gear XX AC+R

This is the latest update of the GGXX series. The online works fine for the most part, and it also has various single player modes. The game's story mode is more of a side story, following what the characters have been doing since the events of XX #R.

Rev 2 is the latest version of the Guilty Gear Xrd series. The game adds in Baiken and Answer as new playable characters, as well as rebalancing the gameplay. The game has good single player content such as Master of Medal mode which combines GG's combat system with RPG elements.
Rev 2 also features an Easy Input Mode that allows you to perform special moves with just one button, a great feature for casual gaming.

Double Dragon Neon

This game has gone on sale so many times you may as well have bought it already. This 2D beat'em-up has a catchy soundtrack and a solid combat system. It's not too long that it overstays its welcome, and it offers replayability for obtaining extra skills for the combat.

Dragon's Dogma

Apply a few mods that don't affect the stats of equipment and unleash your inner fashionista.
Most important of all however is to install this Essential mod
 
Ladra

Ladra is a stealth game designed using RPG Maker. It's uncommon to see RPG Maker be used for making a game that isn't an RPG, and this is one that interestingly stands out.

Letter Quest Remastered

Take the idea of Scrabble and toss in a turn based combat system and you get this game. There are upgrades which you can unlock to make the battles less tedious, but the later stages do wrack up the difficulty.

Life is Strange

An Adventure game with simple puzzles, a watercolor inspired visual presentation and a good combination of story and characters. While it may not appeal to everyone it's simple enough for players of all skill levels to play and enjoy.

Lost Planet 3

Lost Planet 3's gameplay doesn't really have much that stands out; it's pretty standard and gets the job done. Where it does shine is in its characters and voice acting. The plot is rather straight but the setting, concept and characters make it worth playing through. In the words of Mark of Classic Game Room 'This game is more Aliens than Aliens Colonial Marines'.
If what you're looking for in a TPS is gameplay, you may not find it here, but it's other elements work out fine.

Lovely Planet

This FPS game has colorful graphics and a whimsical dream-like setting. Giant Bomb's QL gives a good idea of what to expect in this game-

 
Juju

Baby's first 2D platformer, it has nice visuals and the gameplay is simple enough to beat. Don't expect anything great, but it's a charming little game if you want something for kids to play or to play with them.

Kathy Rain

A Point n' Click game taking place during the early 90s. You play as Kathy Rain who is looking into the events surrounding the death of her grandfather.
The dialog, characters and story are pretty good and the puzzles are simple.

Unicorn

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/

header.jpg

Everyone should own Invisible Inc.

It's from one of the more prominent "indie" publishers, but I feel it still is overlooked and not talked about much.

It's a brilliant tactical stealth strategy game that feels like a tabletop Shadowrun come to life. I felt more like a plotting, sneaking, cyber-thief Runner than I have in any Shadowrun game. The art is pleasing and unique (but in line with the developer's other stuff of Mark of the NInja and Shank - both fantastic as well).

As someone that loves Tenchu and good stealth mechanics, this is a dream. The combinations of members and Incognito loadouts means every time you play through the procedurally generated levels means it will provide a unique experience. Information is conveyed to you seamlessly. There are very few times where I feel I am missing information, and I always have enough information to decide what my next move should be.

Much like Spelunky, once you learn the systems and mechanics of the game you can then use those as emergent tools for solving problems. Leaving doors open used to be a liability on getting caught, but once you understand guard routines, leaving doors open as bait or as a distractor will give you the extra time you need to drag a downed agent to the escape elevator. Or, dashing down the hall you only reserved for mad dashes to escape can later be used to lure guards into trapped areas, or into setups while you execute your master plan for completing the objective.

Austin Walker wasn't wrong. Game of the Year 2015.

Mephala

The Guilty Gear series

Good pick!

I'll take this opportunity to recommend some other fighters.

Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend

From the same developers as Guilty Gear series. 6th installment of the franchise. Not quite the latest, I believe that is Central Fiction which isn't available on PC currently.
Plenty of characters and I found it mechanically easier (some characters any way) compared to Guilty Gear series. Guilty Gear has more traditional inputs for supers while this has some easier stuff for memory's sake with the drive button I think it is called.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite 2D fighters. I think the characters look pretty great. The art is very nice with pretty high def sprites and animations are fantastic. The game isn't too complex but it is still quite fun. Yuzu is best!
Single player content is pretty minimal. Standard Arcade, Training, Survival modes.

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Same developers as UNIEL, figures given the similarly odd names. This is interesting. The characters look fun and stylish. Mechanically it is a bit much for me though. It is long past the days I care to sit down and work out the differences in moves for each character whether they are using half, full or crescent moon styles. Some of the characters appear to be from Type-Moon which are the same group responsible for the Fate/Stay Night franchise.
Single player content is again pretty minimal.

Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!

This is pretty interesting mechanically. You pick a fighter and an arcana. The arcana gives you a small subset of moves and some will alter your character in some way such as better dashes or an extra air dash. What really makes this game interesting is the homing feature. With a single button your character will begin to fly towards the opponent. This makes for some interesting combos and spectacles in the hands of good players. It is almost like watching a Dragon Ball Z fight. That said, there dancing around the subject. The cast is mostly female and some of them are... Niche in taste. Another game I don't have the time to properly invest in but enjoyed experimenting never the less.

Edit. Added links and while I'm here.

Skullgirls

Great animations, interesting character designs and pretty fun combat. It is quite a bit like street fighter in setup. Net code is pretty great too. The game is only about $2.99 though it has a 2nd Encore DLC that is discounted to about $10.

King of Fighters XIII

This is a very good main line KOF game. The mechanics are solid and the bosses aren't nearly as bullshit as some of the earlier games. :D
Story mode is pretty basic and net code is moderate. This may be the last KOF to be 2D as 14 has gone 3D. Some of the other KOF are worth playing too but I won't list them here.

Annnnnd I can't recommend Guilty Gear Isuka. I was totally going to but add the caveate that it is a pretty great brawler rather than 2D fighting game, which it is still decent at once you get past the interesting controls. It has been removed from sale tho. :(

Kumubou

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Same developers as UNIEL, figures given the similarly odd names. This is interesting. The characters look fun and stylish. Mechanically it is a bit much for me though. It is long past the days I care to sit down and work out the differences in moves for each character whether they are using half, full or crescent moon styles. Some of the characters appear to be from Type-Moon which are the same group responsible for the Fate/Stay Night franchise.
Single player content is again pretty minimal.
I'll add the Steam link for you because in my opinion, Melty Blood is the best 2D fighting game ever made. I'm not even kidding -- it's an extremely responsive game that allows for a freedom of movement that very few fighting games have, and the way offense works for most* characters makes pressure and mixups rather scary while requiring both the attacker and the defender to stay on top of what the other player is doing. The game is very dense in terms of both system mechanics and character variations... but that's also one of the things that makes it interesting. :x

If you have any interest in fighting games at all, buy this game
and then download the fan-made patch so that you can play online with vastly improved netcode

*Some of top characters pretty much get to do whatever they want, but that's typical for most fighting games, where top characters get to bend or break game rules in a way that favors them. Most people don't need to worry about it -- nearly everyone can be more than enough to handle to begin with.

And most of the characters are from Type-Moon's first visual novel and anime, Tsukihime -- either from the main game or the side stories. A couple of them were specifically designed for the game (Sion and Riesbyfe) and Shiki Ryougi (from Kara no Kyoukai) is here because... well, why not? (The KnK movies were in theaters in Japan when MBAA came out on PS2 and she was added for promotional purposes.)

$1.99/1.79€ for a 16h+ long game, that contains Pixeljunk Shooter 1+2, new graphics (with the old available), coop, multiplayer, great varied level and and a great OST.

Fantastic game for everyone who remembers the old Gravity games from C64/Amiga, but with added physics puzzle.

It's ridiculous that this game has only sold a couple of thousand copies on Steam.

2.49€ for a great point&click adventure game, from the creator of Gabriel Knight. The closes we come to an old classic Sierra adventure game, since Sierra.

mKwVELZ.gif

Tizoc

Kero Blaster

A 2D shooting game from the creators of Cave Story. If you didn't like Cave Story you may like Kero Blaster. The game is straight forward and linear but I've found the controls pretty tight. Along with having some good boss fights, it also has a great soundtrack.
Really though, how many other games let you play as a Frog wearing a Jacket and a Jet Pack and wields a Flame thrower? Games don't get any better than this, folks.
Completing the game will unlock Overtime mode which is the game's Hard Mode for those seeking an extra challenge.

Killer is Dead

A 3D action game from Grasshopper Manufacture, featuring Suda51's trademark weirdness, mixed with a simple combat system. The PC port is good, and you can unlock the FPS to 60 or even 120 if you want, in addition you can even disable the HUDs. The following links direct to the game's Steam Community Guides explaining these simple fixes and more:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262696032
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262842692

King's Quest 2015

Featuring the voice talents of Christopher Lloyd, this is an Adventure game filled with colorful visuals and some good puzzles thrown in the mix, along with good humor. The King's Quest series' trademark deaths are even incorporated into the game, but the overall gameplay is not as frustrating as the old games.
 
Gunman Clive 1 and 2

2D platformer series that was originally released on the 3DS. It will remind people of the Megaman series, although the game is straight forward and linear. The games are overall pretty solid and worth checking out.

Heroine's Quest

This is a Free game available through Steam. It is inspired by the Quest for Glory and King's Quest series, and any fan of those games should def. try it.

Higurashi When they Cry

This new official release on PC for the series features new cleaner artwork. Don't be fooled by its joyful beginning and generic character designs, when this game starts going dark, you'll want the happy times back. Strongly suggested to be played with headphones.

HuniePop

Can be modded to be uncensored

Putting aside its sexual elements, the game is a good Match 3 puzzle game if you're a fan of the genre.

Judgement Silversword

This a collection of Wonderswanshmups.
Yes ye olde handheld games are getting a release on Steam. These are more traditional Shoot'em-ups, and their music is quite good.
 
Escape Goat 1+2

The duology are puzzle platformers where you are given a series of hazards and objects which you must overcome and utilize to complete the stage in order to progress. At first they start simple enough but later stages require you to think a bit more. Otherwise they're great for fans of the puzzle platformer genre.

Tizoc

DanganRonpa 1+2

This (current) duology of Visual Novels got great acclaim when it was localized for the PSVita. Now you can experience the Thrills, Chills and Kills that the students of Hope's Peak Academy struggle through with this faithful PC port release...which you can even MOD to make and make your own scenarios with, like DanganWWE.

Freedom Planet

If you are a fan of the SEGA Genesis or Mega Drive, then you just have to get this game, as it is a great tribute to platformers of that system. The game has a story but you can play through the game with cutscenes disabled. Each of the playable characters have their own unique skills and abilities, although Lilac will remind players of Rocket Knight and Sonic. The visuals feel lifted straight from the MD era and the game's soundtrack is superb.

Grandia II

It's disheartening when classic jRPGs such as this don't manage to make it past the 100K owners mark despite how often Steam users clamor for quality Japanese games and classics. It is an overall good port of a good game, and if you have an interest in jRPGs def. grab this game during the sale. Note that this release is moddable, and has a 60 FPS option (of sorts).

Grim Fandango Remastered

For the longest time it was thought this game would never get re-released, and now here it is. This release runs fine and features 2 control options; original tank controls and non-tank controls.
 
DuckTales remastered

A colorful 2D remake of the NES classic. Cutscenes can be skipped by pausing the game and pressing a button. Well worth getting if you need more 2D platformers in your life or for the little kids to play through.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

This release features 2 of Capcom's best beat'em-ups ever made. Being a licensed title, it has the risk of being delisted. Has online and offline modes and supports up to 4 players. Even if you've never played Capcom's beat'em-ups before, this is a must have for your steam library.

Dyscourse

This is a 'Choose your own Adventure' kind of game, where choices do matter and affect the outcome of events. There are multiple endings which encourage replaying the game again to see how different events unfold.

Enslaved

It is very difficult to recommend this game as the combat and overall gameplay don't have much to speak of, being very straight forward. This is one of those 'style over substance' kind of games, but the voice acting and character interactions make it worth giving it a chance. You can also play a separate 'campaign'where you play as Pigsy which is more puzzle focused. Andy Serkis does the voice of the protagonist Monkey.
The outdated textures really show, although an HD Texture mod is (slowly) in the works.

Epistory

Take the concept of Typing of the Dead and apply it to a game with a paper craft fairy tale setting and you get Epistory. If you enjoy Typing Tutors and their ilk you may like this game as well. Just be sure to play it in short sessions as the game is repetitive with all the typing, although it does have a few decent puzzles.
 

shira

Epistory

Take the concept of Typing of the Dead and apply it to a game with a paper craft fairy tale setting and you get Epistory. If you enjoy Typing Tutors and their ilk you may like this game as well. Just be sure to play it in short sessions as the game is repetitive with all the typing, although it does have a few decent puzzles.
 

Neato.

It has a Steam demo at the link above if you wanna try it out

Mephala

Expeditions: Conquistador (75% at $5)

This is an interesting Strategy or Tactical RPG that is also fairly well written. The setting is also pretty interesting where you are in search of aztec treasures and fortunes. These guys have another game coming in Q1 2017, Expidetions: Vikings. I am excited as I really liked this game. Of the bunch of grid based SRPG games this is probably one of my favourites. I enjoyed that you can sometimes talk your way out to more peaceful outcomes rather than fights constantly. I beat it multiple times to try siding with different groups and getting different endings.

Overcooked (33% at $12, Bundled with DLC at $15)

This game is probably my GOTY for some local co-op mayhem. It is ridiculously simple yet challenging, charming and hilarious. I highly recommend this to everyone. Simply amazing fun and hilarious when the chaos begins to ensue. Looking forward to trying this with family and friends over xmas.

Tizoc

Marlow Briggs &The Mask of Death

An action/beat’em-up game in similar vein to God of War-like that puts even the original God of War games to shame. I've written a more in-depth review of Marlow Briggs here

Megaman Legacy

This is about the most legal way you could get your hands on Ports of the NES games on Steam/PC. I've found the emulation to be fine personally without any issues.

Melty Blood

This is the latest update in the most hectic, extreme and best anime fighter you could ever play. Has traditional arcade mode and the typical Nasuverse English absurdities.

Metal Slug series

The main Metal Slug games are all available on Steam and run well for the most part (there are a few audio issues though). You can't go wrong with any of them so may as well just grab all 4 of them if you want.

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

DLC is for multiplayerbtw

This is a Match 3+RPG hybrid developed by Capybara. The sprites are colorful and have good animations, and I personally found the gameplay quite addicting. The game starts rather slow until you get the primary combat rules (Links and Chains) and from there it gets really good...bearing the irritating Puzzle-centric battles.
 
Monkey Island 1 and 2

These releases also come with the original MS-DOS games (not the Floppy versions), and are among the best and fun PnC games you'll ever play.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010

If you like Arcade Racers, NFS: HP has you covered, the graphics have aged pretty well and all the cars look gorgeous.

Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

This is the 2nd Nelly Cootalot game, the first can be downloaded from here. The game is a traditional PnC game with some good humor and features the Fourth Doctor as Nelly's bird companion, who offers insightful snarky remarks on various topics, items and characters.

One Finger Death Punch

Beneath this game's simple presentation is one of the most fast past rhythm-like games you never thought possible with stickmen. TotalBiscuit's review of the game is enough to sell just about anyone on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6rYygppY0

SnowTeeth

Banned
Enslaved

It is very difficult to recommend this game as the combat and overall gameplay don't have much to speak of, being very straight forward. This is one of those 'style over substance' kind of games, but the voice acting and character interactions make it worth giving it a chance. You can also play a separate 'campaign'where you play as Pigsy which is more puzzle focused. Andy Serkis does the voice of the protagonist Monkey.
The outdated textures really show, although an HD Texture mod is (slowly) in the works.

Oh shit son! Never knew there was a HD pack in the works!! Will definitely play this through again when it is eventually released.

Tizoc

Oh shit son! Never knew there was a HD pack in the works!! Will definitely play this through again when it is eventually released.

I've seen screenshots of if but it hasn't gotten that much of an update in some time. Hopefully it didn't get dropped :X

Tizoc

Paint it back

There aren't many Picross games on Steam, but this one fills that niche. It also has Steam Workshop support to try out designs by other users. Even if you've never played a Picross game before, this game is worth playing. It has a good tutorial mode that teaches you the primary rules and basics. From there it's the joy of solving the paintings on higher difficulties.
 
Quest for Infamy

This Adventure game is inspired by the Quest for Glory series, and is a must play for fans of that series as it plays as a worthy successor to it.

Raiden 3 and 4
header.jpg
header.jpg

These are good ports of the games and a must for fans of traditional Shoot'em-ups.

Rayman Legends

& Rayman Origins
One of the best 2D platformers of the past 2 gens. Some prefer Origins more, but both are good in their own way. Legends has a few online modes, but the game (and Origins) can be played with up to 4 players co-op, making them great for couch play. Their visuals are also outstanding.

Red Faction Guerrilla

Play out your fantasy of being a Space Asshole and breaking things with your hammer

 
The Legend of Dark Witch

This is a Megaman-like cute'em-up, originally released on the Nintendo 3DS. It's a good port, and the game has good length. The trick to being good at this game is to not rush through the stages, and learning the stage's hazards. It features 3 difficulty option, with Normal making it so no enemies drop health recovery items. In addition the game uses an upgrade system inspired by the R-Type series. Make sure to fiddle a bit in options to have the camera move to your preference to make the stages less frustrating.

Rocket Knight

Many people don't like this game since it doesn't have the same charm or design as the original Rocket Knight Advntures. I personally found it to be a rather decent 2D action platformer. It isn't available in ALL regions but I've managed to get it through a trader. This being Konami, you never know when they'll remember this game exists and pull it from Steam, so consider getting it if you like 2D action platformers, just don't go in expecting Rocket Knight Adventures and just judge the game for the way it is.

Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul

A fighting game based on the popular Saint Seiya anime series. It comes with both Spanish and Japanese dub, and has a mod to use different music for the game. It's a good port and fans of the anime series should def. check it out.

Shardlight

Wadjet Eye's latest PnC game takes place in a dystopian post-apocalyptic setting. You play as Amy who is looking for a cure for her disease while taking odd jobs in the hopes of finding the cure. The game has a really good visual style and presentation, and if you enjoyed Wadjet Eye's previous work, you'll enjoy this one as well.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

SEGA's trademark Arcade driving style lives on with this game, as it is mixed with Mario Kart-style racing. Boasting great visuals and a wide cast of SEGA characters, this is one of the best arcade+kart style games you can find on the platform. The soundtrack by Richard Jacques is among his best work as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Aun_xTuAg

Sonic Generations

One of the best 3D Sonic game in years, but what makes it worth getting is its mods:
Unleashed mod
Super Mario Generations
Yes you can play through the game using Mario characters, it's the same game but it's a nice mod to play through the game with
 
Strider 2014

A Metroidvania-like game with some good boss fights. I personally enjoyed my time with the game and it's worth checking out if you enjoy the genre.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. These Steam sale hidden gem threads are a favorite of mine. The proof is reflected in my wishlist/cart.

I just picked up a Steam Link. Any suggestions for games to play on the couch with a controller? I'll probably be playing with a PS4 controller if that matters

I'm looking for maybe lighter options. I just got done with Bloodborne so i'm looking for a palette cleanser.

Replica - $2.00

Played through this today and while I haven't found every single ending (tracking them is a bit tough after looking them up to see there's more than the initial five I noticed). It's a point-and-click adventure game where the game is played by using a fake iPhone and using its apps and reading through texts and phone calls. It might take you around 20 minutes your first time through but with a bunch of endings and stuff you learn from one run being able to be used in future runs and plenty of secrets by experimenting it's full of surprises. I spent around two hours so far getting all the achievements and around half of the endings. The story it tells is done well considering the limitations put on you by only having a phone to control.

I played One Night Stand directly after and I'd recommend that in a very similar vein (takes about 10 minutes each time through to an ending) but requires a lot of different variety to try to get all 12 endings and all the achievements. Also worth it if you want something similar but more like a rotoscoped visual novel that's really short. While it's not on sale it's only $3 new and just came out prior to the sale starting.

Tizoc

Styx: Master of Shadows

This is the closest you'll get to a true Thief series' successor. While its limited budget is apparent from the visuals, it's a decent stealth game that offers various replayability, and the stage design and obstacles allow for you to tackle them in various ways. It should be noted that all forms of stealth takedowns kill enemies, making a pacifist run a bit of a challenge.

Tales from the Borderlands

Regarded as one of Telltale’s best titles. Even if you're not a fan of the BLands series (like I am), it is still worth playing for the story and characters.

Technobabylon

This Wadjet Eye game takes place in a Blade Runner-esque futuristic setting. The characters are good and the story and dialog are well written. A must for any fans of PnC games.

The King of Fighters '98, '02 & XIII

Each of these games play differently due to their mechanics:
KoF 98 UM comes with the original KoF 98. UM adds additional characters, rebalances the old cast and alters the power meter modes to make them more combo friendly.

KoF 02 UM replaces K9999 with Nameless (Zhi Prime), doubles the playable cast from KoF 02, and rebalances the characters and system. The soundtrack of 02 UM has differences to original KoF 02, and even features remixes of a few themes from previous KoF games.

As for KoF XIII, the combat system's rules are easy to pick up and learn if you put the time into it.
 
The Silent Age

Released originally on Mobile platforms, the game eventually got released on Steam and got voice acting recorded for the release. This game uses a minimilast visual presentation, and follows a janitor from the 70s who discovers a time travel device which he must use to save mankind from annihilation.

The Swapper

A puzzle platformer where you play as an astronaut who explores a space station while equipped with a device that creates clones of themselves and are able to swap into the clone's body. There are no horror elements in the game, it just has an eerie atmosphere about it.

The Talos Principle

This game offers both First and Third Person view modes. A puzzle game from the creators of Serious Sam, you play as a robot that must complete a series of puzzles and be deemed worthy by Elohim for...something.
The game has a deeper story if you examine the computer terminals, but otherwise is a really good puzzle game.

Typing of the Dead Overkill

We never know if we'll ever get the older TotD games on Steam, but until then this game will suffice. Type the words that appear on screen to earn score points and defeat the enemy zombies and monsters, or you can play the original release of Overkill.

The Wolf Among us

Based on the Fables comic series, this is seen as one of Telltale's top 5 best games. While it keeps the illusion of choice their other games have, the story and characters manage to keep it an entertaining experience.
 

Tizoc

The 2000s Tomb Raider series
The new TR series that debuted during the PS2 era were a mix of Action and Adventure, or at least the first game (Legend) was. If you were to only get one of these games, get Ann. as it is a good remake of the original Tomb Raider game, filled with puzzles & platforming challenges.

Transformers Devastation

Keeping true to Platinum's stylish character action formula, Devastation is a short action beat'em-up where you can Shoryuken at Devastator as Wheeljack, go all Kenshiro on Starscreamas Bumblebee or blow away Megatronface with a Power Geyser as Optimus Prime.
The Bayonetta series' Witch Time is utilized in this game as Prime Time and you can even buffer your combo attacks with the dodges to continue your offensive and land powerful attacks on enemies. The game also has a kickass soundtrack.

High Moon's Cybertron Duology

2 TPS games based on the Transformers franchise and developed by High Moon Studios, Both game's online modes were active last I checked them.
Follow the guides here if you want to further edit the games’ gfx options-

Velocity 2X

I personally wasn't a fan of the first game, but was blown away by how good the sequel is. It's a mix of Shoot'em-up and 2D action sections. The game can be played at your own pace, although speedrunning through it would require one to better master the game (which you don’t need to do, again; you can play and progress at your own pace).
The game now runs on W10 now-

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

This is a spinoff of the Ninja Gaiden series, and this game in particular is a Musou-lite action game. The performance is good with the game running at solid 60 FPS, with a colorful visual presentation. While the lower difficulties are do-able, the higher difficulties are a nightmare that require you to master and properly utilize the game's Parry/Counter to defeat enemies.
 
Warhammer 40: Space Marine

This is a simple 3rd Person Shooter action game set in the Warhammer 40K universe. You play as Titus, an Ultra Marine sent to liberate Graia from an Ork Invasion. The game mixes simple melee combat with shooting and all the ranged weapons have a nice feel to them from the sound the bullets make when they shred through enemies to scorching fools with the Laser Shotgun (Meltagun). You also get to cut them up with a Chainsword!
Health is restored by executing stunned enemies though the animations are quite long.
Feel free to Slap on an infinite ammo cheat or the like and just shoot your way through this game while Orks keep yelling 'SPAYSSE MUHREEN' and screaming 'WAAAARGH' upon dying every 5 seconds.

Ludens

Banned
header.jpg

Shadwen is a short stealth game by Frozenbyte (Trine devs), with an interesting rewind mechanic and a system similar to the one of SuperHot in which time only moves when you move.

There are 15 levels in the game plus a new additional mode, Escape the Castle, in which you need to do levels in reverse.

The game is not a masterpiece but a solid title if you look for something short to play during a week-end and you love stealth games.

It's 75% off right now or 81% if you own other Frozenbyte games.

KainXVIII

Contradiction

SteamGAF's #10 GotY 2015 title. This FMV Adventure game follows Detective Inspector Jenks, aka the man with many reaction faces, as he investigates a murder in a rural British town. The acting and characters are good, but Jenks steals the show with his vigorous performance.

Still not discounted? Crazy!

Tizoc

The Ys series

I go in depth on why you need this series in your life, here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161737

Valkyria Chronicles

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, the game lives up to its praise. Has a rebalance mod that is also worth experiencing
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498442298

Ikaruga

One of Treasure's most celebrated games, if you like shmups def. check it out.
 
Shadow Blade Reload

This is a 2D action platformer, and is more of a Shinobi-like game than a stealth game. You die in 1 hit and part of the game’s challenge is also being able to complete stages as quickly as possible.

Beyond Good and Evil GOG

The GOG ver. Comes patched with a launcher that lets you set the resolution. While proper controller support isn’t implemented there are various options for it.

The Cave

A Platformer Adventure game from Dave Gilbert. You choose 3 of 8 characters and solve puzzle rooms and uncover their story and background. The humor is decent but each of the 8 characters have their own unique puzzle area, and if you want to experience each character’s story you would need to go through the same puzzle areas again.
However if you can look past that you’ll find it a decent fun experience. Each character has their own unique abilities which are used to solve puzzles.

Deadly Premonition

Just to be clear, this is one of the messiest modern ports on a PC gaming service, so messy that even when you get it to run properly, you would need to sometimes restart your PC or laptop just so it stops stuttering.
If you can look past these flaws you’ll be greeted to an Adventure game with a quirky cast of characters and setting.

Ori & the Blind Forest

A Metroidvania-style Action Adventure game with magnificent 2D animation and art and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Rayman Legends

& Rayman Origins
One of the best 2D platformers of the past 2 gens. Some prefer Origins more, but both are good in their own way. Legends has a few online modes, but the game (and Origins) can be played with up to 4 players co-op, making them great for couch play. Their visuals are also outstanding.

It's worth mentioning that Rayman Legends will be free on UPlay in a few days, though.

autoduelist

I'd also like to give a shoutout to SanctuaryRPG - Black Edition, which is 90% off at the moment. The soundtrack alone makes the game worth it but the game itself is great too. Good sense of humor and a surprisingly good battle system.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328760

The amazing soundtrack is also PWYW on bandcamp:
https://rafaelsmith.bandcamp.com/album/sanctuaryrpg-ost

Just wanted to second Sanctuary RPG.

It's quite likely my favorite Steam experience of all time. Words don't really do it justice, but if you like turn based combat, lewt, and dungeons... this game turns it all upside down, distills it all to it's essence, and gives you a masterpiece.

It's completely ASCII (but beautifully drawn), but everything manages to be beautiful. And there are hidden treats, too. For example, if there is a mountain range in the background, there might be a hidden character that leads to a cave.

Dungeon delving is reduced to it's purest - no grinding, no killing grunts, you may take on a quest and simply fight 3 battles in a row, with the final one being a boss. Get gear, get new skills, and be on your way.

But combat... oh my. It's beautiful, by far the best turn based combat I've ever seen. You have a set of skills (attacks, etc) and your options for any given turn are based on what you did last turn. That is, you're never hitting 'attack attack attack'. Rather, the options available to you this turn are based on the tide of battle -- deciding upon one certain type of swing might lead to two new options next turn, and that may lead to a 3 hit combo on the turn after that. It's hard to explain, but trust me, it's done well and it feels great. Lewt/progression also feels great. You're never carrying around an arsenal - everything puts you to the test, deciding what to keep, what to leave behind, and can drastically affect your game.

Love it!

Also, those of you who like Sanctuary should check out BuriedBornes on mobile. It's free, and has a similar feel to it though far less complex overall [no branching moves, etc, but a similar overall progression cycle and lots to discover over multiple plays... plus, it's free and absolutely zero need for iap].

Tizoc

Deus Ex series
Deus Ex Human Revolution

You play as BatmanAdam Jensen, a security officer outfitted with the latest in cybernetic augmentation allowing you to punch people in the face and hack keypads to steal shit from their homes.
The game is generally played as a Stealth game, but playing it as an FPS is a viable option as well.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Improves the gameplay from Human Revolution, while it does have its flaws, the gameplay more than makes up for it IMO.

Battle Fantasia

A fighting game with an RPG theme to it.
If you need more fighting games in your life this one is worth checking out. Arc Systems handled the updated port and it runs pretty good. The gameplay is really simple and easy to get into, and the visuals are colorful and vibrant.
Features Daisuke Ishiwatari as a pirate with a big ass hook in his hand yelling out about his JUSTICE!

Skullgirls 2nd Encore

A 2D fighting game inspired by Capcom’s MAHVEL series. Featuring some fantastic animations and a simple combat system that is easy for casuals to get into and just mess about.
Also has some decent single player modes (Story mode) and a good tutorial mode to learn the game.

Street Fighter X Tekken

SFxT plays differently to USF4 even though it uses the same graphics engine. The Tekken characters are translated pretty well into traditional 2D fighting game style.
Don’t concern yourself with the Gem system, although you can dabble in it to utilize Easy Inputs for the characters you are playing, and for use in casual matches. The game has a 2v2 mode where four players can play together but the match ends when one character in a team gets KOed.
Has mods to add in extra characters as well as alt. outfits.

Ultra Street Figther IV

Boasting one of the largest rosters ever in an SF game, USF4 now allows players to use older versions along with the new Omega mode which tries to ‘Mahvel’ up a characters’ movelist.
Can still be played casually so don’t try to concern yourself with links off of light attacks, etc.
The game as an active modding community that makes custom outfits and there are a few gameplay altering mods.

Street Fighter V

If you’re looking for more fighting games to play, esp. to play offline*, then Street Fighter V is as good as any game to get.
The visuals are pretty good and there’s a good modding community for it. The system is easier to get into than SF4’s as well, IMHO.
Best to get the Deluxe edition which unlocks the extra 6 characters right off the bat and lets you save up FM to unlock stages and outfits, among others.
*due to the game’s design it is best to still be connected online to access the extra stages and outfits you had unlocked.

Alter Ego

I've written an indepth review here

Rice of Thoom Braider

Aka Rise of the Tomb Raider
I personally am not a big fan of the reboot; while it takes the Uncharted formula and adds stuff to it, that, on paper sound fine, upon execution it falls into uninspired modern game design that serves merely to pad out the playing hours.
Still this 2nd title in the Thoom Braider series offers copious fun as you now have 4 types of arrows to murder people with:
The traditional sharp pointy stick arrow- Great for instant head shotting people like a frikkin’ ninja.
Fire arrows- For when you want to see assholes squeal and freak out as they die from 3rd degree burns
Poison arrows- For when you’re just REALLY mean and need to get the most out of all those plants you were blindly collecting due to OCD.
Explosive arrows- Who doesn’t enjoy seeing mooks getting launched into the air from explosions, and dieing from shrapnel blasted into their spines?

Really if you want a game where you run around flinging arrows at people’s faces, this is the game for you.

I am Setsuna

Get this only if you want more jRPGs in your life. It’s not that it’s bad just…unremarkable, and there are far better options on Steam.

Widge

I've seen screenshots of if but it hasn't gotten that much of an update in some time. Hopefully it didn't get dropped :X

I really struggled with this. The game constantly flicked between low and high poly models for the characters. There was no fix for it last I looked so I've not gone back to it.

Grandia II

It's disheartening when classic jRPGs such as this don't manage to make it past the 100K owners mark despite how often Steam users clamor for quality Japanese games and classics. It is an overall good port of a good game, and if you have an interest in jRPGs def. grab this game during the sale. Note that this release is moddable, and has a 60 FPS option (of sorts).

 

This is my recommendation too. Great classic RPG game that actually is a classic RPG! The port is well done and has few if any problems for most people. The few tiny ones it launched with (I did not get them) were addressed quickly and remains the best current way to play the game. Made based on the original and best running Dreamcast version, while still giving the typical PC enhancements. Definitely a great game to pick up if you did not on release or have forgotten it came out.

Eridani

There's some pretty good obscure RPGs on sale that I don't think have been brought up yet.

Drakensang: The River of Time
header.jpg

A great cRPG in the style of Neverwinter Nights 2. It's not exactly extremely innovative, but the combat system is solid and the RPG systems are fun. Now that Bioware has essentially stopped making party based combat systems this is a great game for anyone who misses that style of gameplay.

Geneforge Saga
header_586x192.jpg

Spiderweb Software games are pretty well known as far as niche RPG games go, and this is definitely their most interesting series. The setting is very interesting - you play as a sort of summoner and get to summon armies of creatures to fight for you while exploring a really cool world. The best part of the games is that they have a lot of cool choices with actual consequences leading to a variety of different endings. You also get 5 pretty long games for a really cheap price, so it's a great deal content wise

Game of Thrones (the role playing game)
This is more of a footnote than a general recommendation, since the game is not really something I'd recommend to most people, but I still think it deserves some sort of a mention. On release the game got thrashed hard by critics, but I actually enjoyed playing through it. Yeah, the graphics suck, the game is really unpolished and the combat is not that great. But it has a certain charm to it. It does some pretty cool things with the writing and the story (multiple protagonists, multiple endings, split narrative, dialogue choices that get you killed), the characters are good and the combat system is ok - about as good as Knights of the Old Republic (which isn't saying much tbh, but people still consider that an all time classic, so it's good enough to not be a deal breaker). It's definitely not as good as the other suggestions. But if you've already played all the other RPGs out there and want something else to play, this could actually be a good choice. I had more fun with it then with some recent Bioware games.

Fudo Myo

ENYO Arcade $2.59 (-48%)
header.jpg

"Fast, skill based, twin-stick action platformer. Explore a grimy sub pixel cosmos."

Weird Metroidvania-ish run 'n' gunner with a cool pixel aesthetic and gritty atmosphere. Cheap! Definitely worth the price of entry. Hard, too.

Tiny & Big is my favorite indie game of all time. It regularly goes on sale but not for lack of quality although it is a little short, but in a good way where it doesn't overstay its welcome. I can't recommend it enough.

Also, I have to disagree with some of Tizoc's choices. When we start including Tomb Raider and other AAA games it defeats the purpose of a hidden gems thread and becomes a 'here's every game I've ever liked on Steam' thread.

abracadaver

2,49€ (-75%) or 4,99€ (-75%) with all the DLC

3,74€ (-75%)

Those 2 games are the best tower defense games I have ever played.

DG2 is a lot easier than DG1

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
$4.99 (-75%)

I'd only heard about this game from the Curt Shilling/38 Studios fiasco and wasn't expecting much. It comes off as generic fantasy schlock at first, and it kind of is. The quests are your typical "fetch this, kill that" routine that you've no doubt seen a hundred times before. The environments look pretty good, the character models are meh, the voice acting is serviceable, the lip syncing ranges from ok to wtf.

It just kind of grows on you though. I put in 8 hours since buying it this weekend and can't stop playing. It's just one more quest, one more trip to the merchant or crafting station and another hour has flown bye.

Zeronax

Infested Planet
$3.74 (-75%)

Squad-based real-time strategy with a mix of tower defense and, if you get the planetary campaign DLC, a risk-like board with high replayability. Definitely check out this hidden gem if you're looking to crush aliens by the thousands!

Tizoc

Xanadu Next

Xanadu Next is an Action RPG from Falcom originally released in 2005, and among their best titles. The best comparison to it is that it is a more action RPG variation of the Legend of Zelda games as it has a few puzzles and the various areas in the game are interconnected.
You play as a knight who travels to the land of , investigating the mysterious Strangerock Castle.
This game is a little more RPG than Ys, due to a few factors, some of which include:
1- As when you level up you get 6 points to strengthen yourself with. At first this’ll seem a little confusing as you need to distribute these points in order to equip stronger weapons or armor. However you will quickly and easily get the hang of it within the first 2 hours of the game.
2- Headgear offer unique defenses such as protection from fire magic. Headgears offer slight defensive boost so switching between them will help in certain dungeons.
3- Early into the game you will learn about equipping Guardians who bestow a unique buff depending on the Guardian you have equipped; one would give you extra HP, another gives you more AP to use with your special attacks and magic spells. The Guardian system is easy to get the hang of after some time and at certain points can help you tackle certain areas or learn spells faster.

All in all Xanadu Next is far easier to get into than one would think and this being a Falcom game means it has a kickass soundtrack, simple yet satisfying combat system and some good challenging bosses.

Owlboy

Owlboy isn’t a platformer by any means, despite what you’re told. Owlboy is an Adventure game that’s been in development for near 10 years.
The game involves exploring areas, solving puzzles and battling enemies in a twin stick shoot’em-up like fashion.
The pixel art is superb and the soundtrack is fantastic as well. Unfortunately the huge delay in its release will be apparent by the time the game is completed, but on its own it’s a nice adventure game despite its flaws.

Frogwares’ Sherlock Holmes series

Some decent Adventure games with good visuals. The design of the game is centered about exploring the (small to medium sized) areas and solving puzzles.
You really want to get it for Watson’s porn stache though
2231195-watson.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0T1KjIyhqg

Undertale

At first glance, this’ll look like a traditional jRPG which it CAN be played as, but another catch to the game is that you can play it and beat it without having to kill or fight enemies throughout your playthrough; a pacifist playthrough if you will.
Undertale’s characters, story and music have won over many a gamer and it is well worth experiencing, but one should aim to progress at their own pace and just soak in the setting and the music.
Good luck with that initial final boss though >_>;;;;

The Legend of Korra

This isn’t the BEST Platinum game but if you’re a fan of the show it’s worth checking out. It does work fine as a ‘kid’s first Platinum game’ and it being a licensed title runs the risk of getting delisted.

Adventures of Pip

An indie 2D platformer with simple gameplay and short decently designed levels. While the graphics aren’t anything to write home about, I found it a fun and decent platformer to play through.

Sleeping Dogs

How can you call yourself a whole man or woman if you never had a pork bun in your hand?
Sleeping Dogs utilizes a combat system similar to the Arkham games mixed with an open world/sandbox set in Hong Kong. The visuals are great and Wei Shen’s a pretty kickass protagonist and the story’s pretty good. If GTA5 is too pricey or you don’t have much space on your HDD/SDD for it, Sleepy Dawgs is the best alt. to go for. The original release is sold at some online retailers if you don’t want the DE.

Mighty No. 9

This game really really should’ve released a year or two early because the delay didn’t really add anything to the game. Mighty No. 9 is about as Megaman-style a game as can be, so if you want more Megaman-style games in your life, give it a play. I personally enjoyed it although it did have some irritating sections like in the highway stage or tower stages.

Phantom Brave

Durante approved ‘Best NISA Strategy RPG’.

Mechazawa

Might as well call this thread "Cool Games We Like Conveniently Posted During the Autumn Sale Even If the Game Isn't on Sale"

Might as well call this thread "Cool Games We Like Conveniently Posted During the Autumn Sale Even If the Game Isn't on Sale"
This thread has been awesome whatever the purpose. Definitely got some new gems out of it as well as renewed interest in a game I already own (ys)

Tizoc

I'll have the thread title for the Winter Seal one be different so it'd be about recommendations of various games by gaffers even if it were popular ones.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just say overlooked gems and you'll encompass everything so far.

Given you've got the year along with which sale, it covers hidden indie games that deserve love, as well as older games from big pubs that people may not know are on sale for stupid cheap now.

Top Bottom