• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
All I would want to play on switch are Nintendo published games, or switch exclusives.

If it's also on PC or ps4, there's no way of play on switch.

That said, I'm now a little excited for switch and its Nintendo made games.

Bruh, if I could do some hunting missions in FF XV on a handheld and have a movie or sports on TV I'd do it.

Bruh, if I could do some hunting missions in FF XV on a handheld and have a movie or sports on TV I'd do it.

To be fair... You can do that right now with a PS4 and remote play. Though I would personally enjoy that setup more on the Switch. Primarily because my wife and I don't have cable and streaming a game and TV at the same time might not be the best experience for us.

oti

Banned
To be fair... You can do that right now with a PS4 and remote play. Though I would personally enjoy that setup more on the Switch. Primarily because my wife and I don't have cable and streaming a game and TV at the same time might not be the best experience for us.

Remote Play is a mess.

Pachimari

Personally I don't want any third parties on my Switch, but exclusive games from third parties are okay. If there's one game I could see me buying for Switch instead of PS4 it would be Persona 5.

Remote Play is a mess.

Is that the general consensus? I remember using it to play Crucible in Destiny quite some time ago with no issue. I also played a ton of Far Cry 4. Regardless, I can agree that not having to stream the game via your internet would be greatly preferred. When the Switch was first revealed, I found myself playing Color Splash via Off-TV play just to get a feel for it. Switch will be even better.

What's remote play?

But you'd have to buy a Vita.

What's remote play?

Streaming a game from your PS4 to your Vita or PC via the same network. I don't have a Vita, but it's a blurry mess on PC.

Penguin

Looks like sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is a game we can expect from THQ Nordic, whether an HD remastered or sequel, who knows

http://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-a...dditions-to-the-thq-nordic-portfolio,c2137262

“Moreover, we also got a lot of messages from fans that encouraged us to add them to our portfolio. Among these titles, Sphinx (and the Cursed Mummy) is very well suited for the Nintendo audience – which we love to support. We are excited for Nintendo Switch, Nintendos new platform, and already have two other projects in development for it”, Wingefors continues.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SSFIV running at a smooth 60FPS on 3DS still blows my mind to this day. Hopefully Switch can get something like that for Mahvel.

And think of it this way. You'll get Xbone ports running on Switch with fewer sacrifices made compared to a 360 -> 3DS port

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks to Burdmayn for a fantastic question!

bxeCBYs.png

In what ways should the Nintendo Switch support Amiibo?

Oh hey, that's my question! I'd love to see some functionality built into the OS and not just games. Let me scan a Zelda Amiibo and get a theme for the home menu. It would also be pretty neat to have clothing/accessories for my Mii unlocked via Amiibo.

BotW usage is perfect. Have a wide range of Amiibo give you very minor benefits, maybe once per day, and maybe have a special Amiibo give you a unique but small benefit. Please keep supporting the original Amiibo too. The biggest value of these things is that it's one physical DLC item which can be used across multiple games. Keep expanding that use to more and more games for more and more Amiibo.

And if they're going to lock a huge amount of content behind any Amiibo they really, really need to start offering that content as optional DLC too.

bxeCBYs.png

The same as they've been, with some added kind of console-wide unlock guarnateed by every Amiibo. Maybe an outfit for your Mii, that shows up cross-game, or at least in all OS functions. Something like that, that guarantees some small unique reward for everyone who buys that amiibo, would be nice.

Penguin

I still want them to explore a sort of F2p title for amiibo.

Something like Find Mii with a host of nintendo characters as support characters

psyfi

Banned
I can't believe we're almost a month away from the big reveal event. The time is going by really fast, and will go by even faster with all the holidays and stuff. January 1st is when time will start slowing to a crawl, I'm sure.

Amiibo should activate something within the console firmware itself that allows you special items on the home screen, like themes or how badges are used on the 3DS and Badge Arcade.

Give something beyond just the one game. I think having it activate themes on the console would be fantastic. It would also be cool if you could unlock them into a "virtual" trophy case, like in Smash Bros.

Javier

I like the way amiibo has mostly been implemented, with extra stuff for those who get them but nothing crucial to beat the game. I also like the idea of F2P games that require amiibo to play in full, like what they did with that Mario Vs. DK game.

On another topic, the discussion about battery in the other thread got me thinking, is the Nintendo Switch the first home console that's immune to blackouts?

MCN

Banned
I like the way amiibo has mostly been implemented, with extra stuff for those who get them but nothing crucial to beat the game. I also like the idea of F2P games that require amiibo to play in full, like what they did with that Mario Vs. DK game.

On another topic, the discussion about battery in the other thread got me thinking, is the Nintendo Switch the first home console that's immune to blackouts?

Surely if the TV won't switch on, then it's a handheld during a blackout?

Javier

Surely if the TV won't switch on, then it's a handheld during a blackout?
Yeah, that's what I mean. You're playing the Switch while docked and suddenly the lights go out, you pick up the screen from the dock and continue playing. It shouldn't even reset.

Amiibo should activate something within the console firmware itself that allows you special items on the home screen, like themes or how badges are used on the 3DS and Badge Arcade.

Give something beyond just the one game. I think having it activate themes on the console would be fantastic. It would also be cool if you could unlock them into a "virtual" trophy case, like in Smash Bros.

Ooh, that would be so nice!

There is so much possibilities with this, and themes and such wouldn't be that hard to make anyway. At least compared to putting stuff in games just for one amiibo.

They could even give tunes/music, collect three different Marios and get the classic SMB tune or something. They could also make like an achievement app, where you could track your process and see all the amiibo you have (and all the missing ones!).

That would be neat F2P title, nothing too fancy but a nice way to track your amiibo fever.

Cuningas de Häme;226058886 said:

There is so much possibilities with this, and themes and such wouldn't be that hard to make anyway. At least compared to putting stuff in games just for one amiibo.

They could even give tunes/music, collect three different Marios and get the classic SMB tune or something. They could also make like an achievement app, where you could track your process and see all the amiibo you have (and all the missing ones!).

That would be neat F2P title, nothing too fancy but a nice way to track your amiibo fever.

Now I'm just imagining an OS-level soundtrack option... That would be really neat! Make themes/music independent of one another. I'm terrified of having a built-in Amiibo tracker that shows me what I don't have though... The completionist in me would be tempted to own them all.

Clessidor

bxeCBYs.png

Mostly like before, but I would like to see a new kind of Amiibo centric game. My personal preference would be some type of Hybrid board game, were player play against the board and every Amiibo would be a slightly different character with unique abilities like many coop board games have. I'm thinking here of games like Arkham/Eldritch Horror.
But honestly such a game would need to be well designed and an all-ages type of game to be succesfull and not too expensive. But I feel like that would be a next step for Toys-to-Life-products.

Malyse

ET9TpMp.gif

One More Time
Here's my pitch:

Imagine a Kingdom Hearts type game where the player character is your Mii and your two AI companions are two of your Amiibos. The game reads the save data on your console and uses that to create worlds and enemies. For example, if you have a Bayonetta save, you'll fight some monsterous angels, while a Xenoblade Chronicles save tosses in some Mechons. Furthermore, the game that is written in your amiibo's memory effects that characters play style. So if you have a Smash Bros save, the amiibo would rush in and attack enemies on sight and they would have boosted attack, but a Mario Party save would be a little more unpredictable and score easy critical hits, etc.

Cuningas de Häme;226058886 said:

Now I'm just imagining an OS-level soundtrack option... That would be really neat! Make themes/music independent of one another. I'm terrified of having a built-in Amiibo tracker that shows me what I don't have though... The completionist in me would be tempted to own them all.

Exactly! The OS should also play sound effects from the character's respective games whenever it detects a freshly placed Amiibo.

For sure!

Back on the PS3, they came out with PS3 themes, charged a few bucks a pop, whatever... I thought, you really should just get these themes for free with the purchase of a video game.

So if I bought Ratchet and Clank, tie a free theme unlock with trophy support. If I get so far in the game, give me a proper theme. If I beat the game, give me another one.

These companies are so eager to nickel and dime, they can't be bothered to do some really enticing shit with their products.

Amiibos, should do what you say. No doubt about it. There's also zero reason certain amiibo shouldn't be preloaded with an NES virtual console game. Like, why the hell not?

I know they did that demo thing a while back, but why? Demo for an NES game? Get off it.

Personally, I will NEVER buy a theme, or some nonessential thing like an amiibo. Now, if they really incentivized them, not with exclusive content for games, which pisses off anyone who doesn't want to buy a toy to enjoy the game to the fullest, but via avenues like you've mentioned, I might be more likely to consider it. Give me interesting free content.

Buy an amiibo. Scan it on your system, and it equips a complete theme to it.
And I know what you're thinking... "what's to stop you from scanning your friends' amiibo and getting a free theme?".. (but really, who the hell cares) Well why not only allow one amiibo theme to be loaded onto the system at a time? So if you ever change the theme, the only way to get it back on there would be to scan the amiibo again.

I also think it's about time they just made a series of amiibo exclusive games.
Again, instead of forcing amiibo support into existing games, which is mostly a bother, make a series of games, much like the street pass games, which are centered entirely around amiibo. Then, people who enjoy buying them can enjoy meaningful exclusive content, while anyone not interested doesn't feel like they're missing out on anything.

Hey guys, first time posting here. Pretty excited for the Switch, I'm definitely going to preorder it when it comes out. I'm hoping they go on sale at the conclusion of the 1/12/17 premier show. I'm always an early adopter, especially Nintendo. I've been fooled before, but I really think this is going to be a killer system for Nintendo. I don't love all the talk of ports seeing as I pretty much have everything on the Wii U worth importing. But I love the mobility of the console, the promise of more 1st party support, and the graphical power. I don't need to play Titanfall, FIFA or even the teased Skyrim on this, but if they put out 6-8 games a year that I feel compelled to play, I'd be happy.

Very curious to see what the launch games are going to be. Not what's available in the first six months, but whats are going to be out day #1.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

bxeCBYs.png

I'd like an amiibo-focused 3D platform/adventure, but I'd basically like they to continue to actual non-obtrusive way of implementing them.

Btw, have you seen the VGLeaks FFVII remake rumor? PS4 on '17, PC in '18...no mention of Switch

For sure!

Back on the PS3, they came out with PS3 themes, charged a few bucks a pop, whatever... I thought, you really should just get these themes for free with the purchase of a video game.

So if I bought Ratchet and Clank, tie a free theme unlock with trophy support. If I get so far in the game, give me a proper theme. If I beat the game, give me another one.

These companies are so eager to nickel and dime, they can't be bothered to do some really enticing shit with their products.

Amiibos, should do what you say. No doubt about it. There's also zero reason certain amiibo shouldn't be preloaded with an NES virtual console game. Like, why the hell not?

I know they did that demo thing a while back, but why? Demo for an NES game? Get off it.

Personally, I will NEVER buy a theme, or some nonessential thing like an amiibo. Now, if they really incentivized them, not with exclusive content for games, which pisses off anyone who doesn't want to buy a toy to enjoy the game to the fullest, but via avenues like you've mentioned, I might be more likely to consider it. Give me interesting free content.

Buy an amiibo. Scan it on your system, and it equips a complete theme to it.
And I know what you're thinking... "what's to stop you from scanning your friends' amiibo and getting a free theme?".. (but really, who the hell cares) Well why not only allow one amiibo theme to be loaded onto the system at a time? So if you ever change the theme, the only way to get it back on there would be to scan the amiibo again.

I also think it's about time they just made a series of amiibo exclusive games.
Again, instead of forcing amiibo support into existing games, which is mostly a bother, make a series of games, much like the street pass games, which are centered entirely around amiibo. Then, people who enjoy buying them can enjoy meaningful exclusive content, while anyone not interested doesn't feel like they're missing out on anything.

Some great ideas here. I wouldn't have a problem with it only having one theme active at a time. If all it takes is just scanning an amiibo and then Boom - instant theme switch, that would be awesome. And honestly they should have a checklist for them... and who cares if it's your friend's amiibo? Getting people to visit each other with their Switches should be the priority, so anything that encourages that should be focused upon.

LordKano

Something you can actually do, as a platform owner, when a single third party companny is going to launch 5/10 games for your HW in the incoming 12 months...sigh..

Because Nintendo is absolutely not planning a huge event with all of the third party in one place, instead of dispersing the announcements in multiple small events, right.

Bulbasaur

Banned
So here's my crackpot theory of the day... Capcom sold the license for Okami to Nintendo and they're letting Platinum make Okami 2 proper. I base this on nothing more than my obsession with Okami and that Capcom no longer lists it on their site or online store. Couple that with some interview comments from Kamiya about having ideas for Okami 2 and BOOM!

My theory will be thrown out the window the second that Capcom announces that Amaterasu is in MVC: Infinite. A man can dream...

I'm totally onboard with this theory. I would soil my pantaloons if true.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Okami 2 would only interest me if they confirmed fast text speed, confirmed the intro cutscene is 5 mins max and is skippable, and confirmed they were making a huge effort to make the game have no filler. And combat that isn't complete garbage of course.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So what you are saying is that you don't like how they have been using amiibo, but it's what they should continue doing? It's a necessary evil basically?
Amiibo are what amiibo are. Can't really hope for the use of amiibo to be better. The entire concept of ammibo is what it is. The best we can hope for is that they don't get worse/lock more meaningful content behind them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Forge an unholy alliance with Funko Pop and bring in all the money.
Yuck!

Long gone are the days of the dodgy Marth Amiibo and most new releases look pretty good.

Why on earth would you want them to, not just go back to those ugly days, but, go even further beyond?

Narroo

Okami 2 would only interest me if they confirmed fast text speed, confirmed the intro cutscene is 5 mins max and is skippable, and confirmed they were making a huge effort to make the game have no filler. And combat that isn't complete garbage of course.

The main problem with the combat was really the balancing. They had a very nice system, but never really capitalized on it. Really, the problems with Okami mainly stem from it being an amateurish (old) 3D Zelda-like game. It never quite gets what made Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom