• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch running Breath of The Wild on Jimmy Fallon

jett

D-Member
It doesn't look any better, and I even question it running any better than 720p, could see plenty of shimmering in the background. The framerate does seem to be smooth, but barely anything happened to be honest.

mileS

Mario Run had a fantastic showing as well. Nintendo did a great job showing them both at the same time. Miyamoto playing with the Roots was awesome!

I want to say it looked cleaner, but I might just be seeing what I want to believe.

I already see a lot of shimmering and jaggies when i watch this full screen on 1080P.
Not sure why we always keep hoping Nintendo suddenly discovered there is a thing called anti aliasing..

Anyway, can't wait to finally play it. I'm confident this will be one of the best Zelda games ever.

Here's hoping it has fast charging like OnePlus 3. Don't know how expensive that tech is though.
With this arcane technology from the distant future (for Apple) the rumored few hours of gaming time on the go would not bother me.

FWIW, the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet does support Quickcharging, different tech then Dash charging like the OnePlus 3, but same result. So maybe...?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It doesn't look any better, and I even question it running any better than 720p, could see plenty of shimmering in the background. The framerate does seem to be smooth, but barely anything happened to be honest.

The only real fps comparison we have is the big explosion which didn't as much as stutter in the Switch footage, while E3 demos showed it to chug quite a bit in similar situations, which is quite telling. Granted the E3 build is probably *ancient* and we'll probably only know when both versions are out and Digital Foundry works some magic (they oughta, at least).

Regarding the shimmering, we don't know the resolution of the projector either :p, could be a large 720p image. I'm remaining positive about 1080p at least, but it won't really bother me since I'll exclusively play the Switch as a portable anyway.

AzaK

Pretty surprised to see this TBH. First ever footage of anything running on Switch on Fallon and not at a Nintendo event.

I liked how smooth Zelda looked.

Oreoleo

Man, say what you want about Jimmy but he was a great hype man in this segment. Best advertising money can buy.

Wow Jimmy seemed actually excited, he plays games?
You kidding? It comes up somewhat frequently on his show. Just a week or two ago they did a bit where he played Mario Kart 8 with some Nascar drivers.
Nicole Kidman was interested in him and all he wanted to do was show her Mario Bros.

Yeah, that story is like straight out of Dating-Age around here. "This girl came over to my place, all we did was play video games but do you think she's into me?"

I need it. I needed it yesterday. I keep forgetting the event is in January. Screw Christmas, the real festivities begin on January 12th.

Also, people up in here thinking this is going to be Wii all over again. Don't do this to yourselves. That's not happening.

Nanashrew

Banned
Can someone screenshot that 6:00 mark and post a pic here ?

The Switch looks so thin - I am in love

Here ya go

SzPwYog.png

The thinness of it is appealing, here's hoping it will improve on the ergonomic nightmare that was the 3ds. Also wish the bezel around the screen was smaller, it gives it that generic android tablet vibe

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The thinness of it is appealing, here's hoping it will improve on the ergonomic nightmare that was the 3ds. Also wish the bezel around the screen was smaller, it gives it that generic android tablet vibe

Yeah it looks sleek as fuck, I hope the weight distribution is good too

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that the Switch appears to have a matte screen.
I'd be happy. A matte screen reduces annoying reflections. The downside would be (at the absolute worst) a very slight blurriness to the overall image. But that does not have to be the case. My monitor has a matte screen and the image is clear as day.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SzPwYog.png

I'm in disbelief how incredibly thin it is. I think it's even thinner than a closed OG 3DS. Wow.
Considering its adaptive design with detachable controllers, analog sticks, analog triggers, etc. that's a design marvel. Beyond games it runs, the hardware will be very attractive on its own

Dominator

Bumpers and triggers look weak, but other than that this thing looks to be exceeding all expectations for me. Its so thin, was not expecting that size at all.

As someone who has never been a Nintendo fan in general (only owned a Gamecube for RE4), I'm genuinely optimistic for the Switch.

Nintendo seem to understand how to market it, it has a simple hook that is easy to demonstrate (unlike the Wii U) and the hardware both in form and function looks impressive. The sleek and thin design of the unit is surprising.

And Fallon was genuinely hyped, great advert for Nintendo.

AmyS

WAT.

Holy shit, I fall asleep and wake up at 2:00am to see this, Breath of the Wild looking so clean and smooth on Nvidia based Nintendo Switch !?

Nintendo just sold a couple million more Switch systems, because Fallon is awesome.

10/10 marketing. Loved that.

oh hey it's not running like crap on portable mode, that's reassuring

This game won't be 60 fps, come on people. Stay real.

Why's that? Seemed like it ran at 60 video is 30fps nevermind. I still think it'll run at 60 though, nothing seems to suggest otherwise

Roo

It's impossible to tell if there's any improved Graphical fidelity like better Texture filtering or better anti aliasing (honestly toss on those two things and even without a resolution bump, the game would look great). But you can tell that there's a better framerate.

Well, you clearly can see there's still not anisotropic filtering at all.
And you can also see there's shadow pop in (sorry, forgot the actual technical name) between 7:14-7:20

The grass, however, seems to be less aliased than in the Wii U version, especially considering this close up but it could very well be because it's off screen footage.

kqUUXvQ.jpg

sanstesy

You really can't make out anyhing definitive regarding the IQ of Breath of the Wild.

Guys, January isn't that far away.

9483c4dcc9.png

Looks like the back of the dock also has rubber padding, which means you probably can keep it horizontal and slide the tablet from front (with screen facing up) without the whole thing shifting back.

ggx2ac

At least these shouldn't be "dummy cables" since the Switch was actually running.

As said, I thought they were both USB-C with one of them being USB-C to HDMI because they were the same thickness but I guess that won't be the case.

So I'm only wondering why the power supply cable is as thick as the HDMI cable for something that only needs 30W-40W at most to power everything on the dock including ports.

rekameohs

Banned
9483c4dcc9.png

Looks like the back of the dock also has rubber padding, which means you probably can keep it horizontal and slide the tablet from front (with screen facing up) without the whole thing shifting back.
Yeah, notice how there's a groove on the side of the dock for the cables to fit through if it's placed horizontal.

9483c4dcc9.png

Edit: nevermind didnt see the grooves on the side.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
9483c4dcc9.png

You're right, there's also a little square hole so you don't smush your cables while it's horizontal as well.

With the cables coming out like that seems like it would be a bit of a hassle to get it to lie flat on its back.

Look closely :p. There are definitely two rubber feet on the bottom, I guess the top black part is rubbery as well.

Shiggy

These American advert shows are so cringeworthy.

The Switch looks cool though. Good to see it confirmed that you can change to portable mode instantaneously.

Top Bottom