• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Ralemont

not me
I actually quite liked the church and the torture chambers, personally.

I liked the church, too. Zero had some nice areas. I meant level in a broader sense such as "mansion" or "police station" or "training facility". I just don't like how the level design interacts with the puzzling in Zero because it relies on too many puzzle pieces that usually requires dropping items and then backtracking to pick them up when needed. Shotguns and such taking up 2 slots didn't help. Really wish they hadn't eliminated item boxes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I was kind of just reflecting on how RE4 was received before it released, which has some very interesting parallels to RE7. XD;

It was inspired by this image posted on Reddit:
sNEQDdI.png

...But I was looking in NeoSeeker's's history and a few other forums that have archives that far back, there's been some interesting parallels.

But what I'm surprised about is that there was some sort of religious movement that's for some reason been archived, I've been finding a number of posts like this from that era of time:

1b895c149fc113cc136e91b6bed005fe.png

It's interesting digging through the internet past.

I'm going to see if I can dig up GAF's RE4-before-release past, it's strangely intriguing to me.

---

EDIT: Since the GAF server wipe from pre-2005, only some things are archived. Shame. The biggest archived RE4 pre-release topic is this one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21429

Can't find the original RE4 OT or many pre-release things.

Jawmuncher

I wonder why Capcom hasn't ported over Code Veronica and Revelations to X1/PS4 yet?

Revelations is anyone's guess. Code Veronica I feel like is poised for nothing until the remake.

But you would think that capcom would want the extra money.

Sell the classic versions everywhere you can. Then make extra money on the remakes.

Dusk Golem

yo Dusk, Outbreak is canon or no?

Oh my, yes. Capcom says so, plus there are a few loose connections throughout the series to it. Now something about Outbreak is that there's different outcomes to several of the scenarios, but I guess the 'canon' path is that the characters of Outbreak successful manage to escape Raccoon City. The most solid evidence to Outbreak being canon actually is apparently in RE7, since one of the playable characters in that is apparently alive and well and still a reporter in 2016.

However, Outbreak has loose connections to Ada's scenario in Umbrella Chronicles, and an event which happens in Outbreak is mentioned in the Revelations 2 manga, which is canon (as all the mangas are (not the comics though)).

Really though the most solid piece of evidence to it being canon is now RE7, and more so what part of Outbreak is 'canon' because it's the first time a character from Outbreak has been mentioned since Outbreak. There were some minor events mentioned and a monster connection previously, but this would be the first time a character from Outbreak is mentioned outside of Outbreak, and with that it's in a mainline RE title as well. I think it's safe to say as Capcom has directly referenced Outbreak in both of the most recent 'canon' RE materials (Resident Evil 7 & the Revelations 2 manga), that Capcom considers it canon.

It's much more 'canon' than Operation Raccoon City, at the very least.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Oh my, yes. Capcom says so, plus there are a few loose connections throughout the series to it. Now something about Outbreak is that there's different outcomes to several of the scenarios, but I guess the 'canon' path is that the characters of Outbreak successful manage to escape Raccoon City. The most solid evidence to Outbreak being canon actually is apparently in RE7, since one of the playable characters in that is apparently alive and well and still a reporter in 2016.

However, Outbreak has loose connections to Ada's scenario in Umbrella Chronicles, and an event which happens in Outbreak is mentioned in the Revelations 2 manga, which is canon (as all the mangas are (not the comics though)).

Really though the most solid piece of evidence to it being canon is now RE7, and more so what part of Outbreak is 'canon' because it's the first time a character from Outbreak has been mentioned since Outbreak. There were some minor events mentioned and a monster connection previously, but this would be the first time a character from Outbreak is mentioned outside of Outbreak, and with that it's in a mainline RE title as well. I think it's safe to say as Capcom has directly referenced Outbreak in both of the most recent 'canon' RE materials (Resident Evil 7 & the Revelations 2 manga), that Capcom considers it canon.

It's much more 'canon' than Operation Raccoon City, at the very least.

Safe to say this timeline is still pretty valid then.

Foxxsoxx

So, we think all four Bakers are just in one section of the game? That would be...kind of weird to me? I dunno why, just feels like they've been such an important part of the marketing to be in such a small role overall like that.

A few might follow us for a chapter or two for revenge or something but I doubt they'll be there at the end. Things always get crazy. Always.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Great job Dusk

One question though.

Isn't Dead Aim's main villain the one who became a scapegoat for the whole Raccoon City incident?

Dusk Golem

Great job Dusk

One question though.

Isn't Dead Aim's main villain the one who became a scapegoat for the whole Raccoon City incident?

Close but not quite, he's the scapegoat for the Mansion Incident internally at Umbrella and is moved to be director of the Waste Disposal Facility you go to in Dead Aim. In Dead Aim, he's trying to get his revenge on Umbrella and wants to make the world beautiful. The Waste Disposal Facility is also mentioned in RE3 as the scrapped RE3 was originally supposed to feature the Waste Disposal off the coast as a location (back when RE3 starred HUNK). The concept of the scrapped RE3 seems to have inspired Dead Aim, it lacks HUNK but takes place on an Umbrella cruiser (like RE3 originally was) and the Disposal Facility finally appears.

Dusk Golem

That should be it's own thread dude, all that work.

If I fancied it up maybe. I might want to wait until RE7 and its DLC is out, as well as the upcoming film though. Vendetta hasn't been started it if takes place before, after, or during RE7 yet. And with RE7, there's going to be a whole slew of canon to figure out due to the VHS sequences, BUT ALSO the story DLC we don't know much about that's releasing once the main game is out. So that'll be fun.

---

I need to finish reading the Heavenly Island manga, it's actually surprising how much they set-up in it. This is something I've noticed they've been doing since RE6 released; setting shit up. Resident Evil Revelations 2, Heavenly Island Manga, Umbrella Corps, and I presume RE7 (and who knows, maybe even Vendetta) are setting up a lot of story hooks for the future of the franchise. Which I'm fine with, there was a long series of connected but kind of missing an overall bigger picture entries in the franchise for basically the last 10 years.

Dusk Golem

Looks like Claire in her Revelations 2 Gear is all we're getting. Pretty sure every other character is a new one just for this movie.

Outside of the guy on the very right who I don't remember.

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be... Something to see how it goes. There was a spoiler from the leaked script I remember reading that
most of the RE characters die apparently in the opening scene of the movie, including Leon, Chris, Ada, etc. XD See if that turns out to be true.

I'm interested if anything's going to come out of that Resident Evil TV series mentioned a couple years ago now. They said we wouldn't hear more about it until around the time the final film came out, and we're getting close. Might be after, or it might of been cancelled silently. But I guess we'll see if it pops up in the upcoming months or not. Even if it was set in the live-action universe and dumb, I'd still watch it. Though I do hope it's something else.

Jawmuncher

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be... Something to see how it goes. There was a spoiler from the leaked script I remember reading that
most of the RE characters die apparently in the opening scene of the movie, including Leon, Chris, Ada, etc. XD See if that turns out to be true.

I'm interested if anything's going to come out of that Resident Evil TV series mentioned a couple years ago now. They said we wouldn't hear more about it until around the time the final film came out, and we're getting close. Might be after, or it might of been cancelled silently. But I guess we'll see if it pops up in the upcoming months or not. Even if it was set in the live-action universe and dumb, I'd still watch it. Though I do hope it's something else.

I hope it's something else.
The whole post apocalyptic setting imo does not suit RE very well.

yo Dusk, Outbreak is canon or no?

It's canon in the "It's canon but just ignore this part, this too, this, that, and that, oh and those things should be forgotten about" sense.

The missile attack on the city being a shitload of missiles for example, despite multiple other games and sources saying only a single missile was used.

Looks like Claire in her Revelations 2 Gear is all we're getting. Pretty sure every other character is a new one just for this movie.

Outside of the guy on the very right who I don't remember.

Spoilers.

Everyone else aside from Wesker dies at the start using body doubles. Chris remains in limbo

Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica
It's canon, but non-consequential. It's a dream that Claire has after the events of Code Veronica when she falls asleep in the jet after her and Chris escape.

Bullshit. Would mean Claire is a psychic who can see events and things she had no part of, as well as see into the future.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Oooh, we're talking timelimes and canon? You missed a single thing there: BIOHAZARD Beast of the North Sea. (or however you actually translate 北海の妖獣)

It theoretically takes place before 0 and is the only Japanese novel to not be either published fan fiction (as is the case of Rose Blank and To the Liberty) or immediately apocryphal (as is the case of The Beginning).

Also, this is the part where I plug my makeshift, cobbled together timeline of canon materials (with dates!)

Resident Evil 3 was many things.

Dusk Golem

Bullshit. Would mean Claire is a psychic who can see events and things she had no part of, as well as see into the future.

Gun Survivor 2 is the one RE game I haven't beaten yet (but I haven't tried in a while), but I do remember enough from it to know what you mean. Supposedly it is, but out of any RE game it's probably the most non-consequential entry in the series, so I'm pretty okay with dropping it as not only does it lack any form of importance, but there is some bullshit laced with that indeed as Gun Survivor 2 tried hard to be fanservicey to attract attention after the original did okay, but not as well as they wanted.

Oooh, we're talking timelimes and canon? You missed a single thing there: BIOHAZARD Beast of the North Sea. (or however you actually translate 北海の妖獣)

It theoretically takes place before 0 and is the only Japanese novel to not be either published fan fiction (as is the case of Rose Blank and To the Liberty) or immediately apocryphal (as is the case of The Beginning).

Also, this is the part where I plug my makeshift, cobbled together timeline of canon materials (with dates!)

Resident Evil 3 was many things.

I always forget about North Sea, yes that would be one thing I overlooked. I also have no idea if the recent Musical Play was supposed to be canon or not, I don't know much about it so I can't say though I know the original Play is canon.

I find the canon for RE incredibly interesting though. Partially since honestly the canon is quite loose in some areas, but I love how Capcom tries to keep the ball rolling. I am pretty positive the RE franchise is the on-going storyline in gaming with the most 'canon' entries that build off each other. The ways they handle it can sometimes be dumb or deprived, but I think there's a charm to how RE just rolls with all of its plot points and characters, it's appropriate for a gaming series that's pulled a lot from horror films over time, and horror films have usually two different kinds: Films that may be a single film and maybe a sequel or two, and the films that go on forever endlessly. It's actually funny as at this point the RE series is starting to get to the lengths of beating out most horror film franchises in entries.

And yes, Resident Evil 3 & 4 really went through the ringer. I feel bad for HUNK, his cruise ship idea with him in it was revisited multiple times, but every time he gets cut out of it. First with Gaiden, and then with RE3, then with Dead Aim seemingly, and then with Revelations 1. HUNK just cannot catch that boat a break.

Jawmuncher

The whole
kill the RE characters from the games
is pretty lame. Definitely feels like a "we didn't have enough money".

It's especially more odd when a lot of those characters above could have just been named after other characters. Not like they would have needed to make sense.

Dusk Golem

Preview scan of a magazine reveals a picture of Rebecca in Resident Evil Vendetta, as well as the release date:

Deq9ErT.jpg

Also will be a new Vendetta trailer on December 23rd.

Dusk Golem

Wow, there was a round of RE-related news for the few hours I slept.

Resident Evil 7 is 19.81 GB on Xbox One.

Milla confirms that enemies from Resident Evil 7 will be in the Final Chapter film.

Also the people who made the fanmade Resident Evil 2 Reborn remake that got cancelled posted the first trailer of their upcoming RE-inspired indie game, Daymare: 1998. Make a topic for that if there isn't already one.

Wow, there was a round of RE-related news for the few hours I slept.

Milla confirms that enemies from Resident Evil 7 will be in the Final Chapter film.

Also the people who made the fanmade Resident Evil 2 Reborn remake that got cancelled posted the first trailer of their upcoming RE-inspired indie game, Daymare: 1998. Make a topic for that if there isn't already one.

Will Alice Matrix slow-mo kick all the Bakers!?

Will The Final Chapter tie into Resident Evil 7?

No, it's its own canon.

strafer

Not canonically, but it seems some RE5 elements will be in it, though honestly it seems they're taking elements from all the main RE games AND RE films. XD;

I was asking since they seem to have gotten permission to use enemies from RE7, which made me think.

Dusk Golem

It's obviously partially a marketing technique for RE7 and to make the movie related to the current series in turn. But the film seems to be going a bit over-the-top with its references, It seems they're trying to stuff a lot into that 1 hour 47 minutes.

Zaverious

May I ask how Degeneration set up things for Revelations 2? I remember very little from the movie and probably missed some things in the game. I'd like to hear about that Dead Aim - 6 connection you stated, Dusk Golem.

Dusk Golem

May I ask how Degeneration set up things for Revelations 2? I remember very little from the movie and probably missed some things in the game. I'd like to hear about that Dead Aim - 6 connection you stated, Dusk Golem.

Deeneration establishes the corporation TerraSave, and that Claire is a member of it. It also situates what TerraSave does and Claire's role as an advocate for the people against viral outbreaks and to help survivors rather than an army-like unit like the BSAA to respond to outbreaks.

Which TerraSave has a pretty big role in Revelations 2 as well colors how Claire and Moira end up in this situation. The other half that sets-up Revelations 2 is obviously RE5: Lost in Nightmares.

Edit: lol, for some reason I typed Dead aim instead of Degeneration. Fix'd now.

Zaverious

Dead Aim establishes the corporation TerraSave, and that Claire is a member of it. It also situates what TerraSave does and Claire's role as an advocate for the people against viral outbreaks and to help survivors rather than an army-like unit like the BSAA to respond to outbreaks.

Which TerraSave has a pretty big role in Revelations 2 as well colors how Claire and Moira end up in this situation. The other half that sets-up Revelations 2 is obviously RE5: Lost in Nightmares.

Oh well thanks. Can't believe I forgot that TerraSave debuted in Degeneration. I thought you were talking about something dealing with Curtis Miller.

Dusk Golem

Oh well thanks. Can't believe I forgot that TerraSave debuted in Degeneration. I thought you were talking about something dealing with Curtis Miller.

It's okay, Curtis is related to Angela which we'll probably never see her again to go diving together with Leon sometime again. I still fully believe that Helena Harper was created to replace Angela as Angela 2.0 (in Helena's fairness, she is better than Angela).

Disallowed from main character status and relegated to cameos within the series, HUNK leaves Capcom and decides to go indie.

As long as the game doesn't decide to eventually move its setting to a boat, everything will be a-okay for HUNK.

Mr_Zombie

Rebecca definitely does look older

But not that older really. There's a ~20 years gap between RE0/RE1 and Vendetta and based on that screen, besides her face (that - given Leon's and Chris' new looks - would be looking different anyway due to the artstyle), she doesn't really look that much different. Considering that the last time we saw her she was 18, and now she will be in her late 30s, that's kind of disappointing. Even her costume looks very similar to what she was wearing in RE0/RE1. :/

The whole game or the demo?

Dusk Golem

But not that older really. There's a ~20 years gap between RE0/RE1 and Vendetta and based on that screen, besides her face (that - given Leon's and Chris' new looks - would be looking different anyway due to the artstyle), she doesn't really look that much different. Considering that the last time we saw her she was 18, and now she will be in her late 30s, that's kind of disappointing. Even her costume looks very similar to what she was wearing in RE0/RE1. :/

The whole game or the demo?

I'm willing to wait, it's a hard balancing act to make the character look older but also familiar. Also keeping in mind the Vendetta art director is different than usual and all that.

And the whole game for the RE7 comment. The news comes from here: https://areajugones.es/2016/12/14/microsoft-concreta-el-peso-de-resident-evil-7-en-xbox-one/

Basically for the RE7 depot on Xbox One, they reserve 20 GB of space for 19.81 GB of data. Which is about par for course, for example RE6 on Xbox One was 17.8 GB big. Capcom makes engines pretty good at optimization.

Mr_Zombie

I'm willing to wait, it's a hard balancing act to make the character look older but also familiar. Also keeping in mind the Vendetta art director is different than usual and all that.

I know what you mean so I will hold my judgement until I see her in action. But I expected a transformation similar to Jill from REmake/RE3 -> RE5: while she still resembles her old self (due to the facial features) and still wears blue, at the same time she changed her hairstyle and lost her classic STARS costume (including replacing beret with a cap). That screen of Rebecca from Vendetta could be from flashback from the RE1 and few would notice the difference.

Basically for the RE7 depot on Xbox One, they reserve 20 GB of space for 19.81 GB of data. Which is about par for course, for example RE6 on Xbox One was 17.8 GB big. Capcom makes engines pretty good at optimization.

Yeah, but that 17.8GB for RE6 came at a cost of horrible low-res textures, and since RE7 is in first person (and considering the photogrammetry technique they used in the game) I would expect to see a lot of unique high-quality textures in RE7.

On the other hand, if the game uses classic RE level design (one big location that you constantly return to and few smaller locations) then maybe 20GB will be enough. Oh well, we will see.

Top Bottom