• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

GametimeUK

In the UK is the KS7000 the equivalent to a KS8000 in America? I'm thinking of picking up a KS7000 here, does anyone recommend it? Is it's the same as the 8000 in America I will buy it asap.

GametimeUK

Yeah the 7000 is the 8000 in US.
I got the 49' about a month ago and no regrets.

Thank you very much. I may have to see what the Boxing Day deals offer me. I definitely want this TV, I would buy it tomorrow, but I'd be pissed if it drops in price the day after Christmas / January. I may wait a few weeks.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Been lurking on this thread for a while as an interested buyer of the KS8000. Where did you find the TV on sale? I wasn't able to bite on Black Friday, but now that I have the cash the prices have gone back up.

Are you in NZ?

If so, Harvey Norman has it at 50% right now at 50 months interest free too.....get the product care warranty too, if it drops at Boxing day prices, you get the cash difference back: SO LEGIT!!

Prestokidd

Neo Member
Guys I need help with the YouTube TV app. When I play a 4K HDR video on the app, in Stats for Nerds the Dimensions are set to 1920x1080*2 and the resolution is 1920x1080@60. With these stats, it seems like I’m not getting the full 4K experience so what I need to do to fix this? Could it be my Internet connection?

jorma

is now taking requests
Guys I need help with the YouTube TV app. When I play a 4K HDR video on the app, in Stats for Nerds the Dimensions are set to 1920x1080*2 and the resolution is 1920x1080@60. With these stats, it seems like I’m not getting the full 4K experience so what I need to do to fix this? Could it be my Internet connection?

Dunno, but i thought i had a similar issue once, it turned out the video wasn't actually a 4k video even though it was labeled as such. I'm fairly sure the videos in "the hdr channel" are all 4k so try checking out one of them.

tommyguns

Really? I was instantly blown away. I just did it for a few seconds while ascending the steps to the skirmish right before you enter the museum. Act 3, when you're chasing the snatcher, before you get underground. All the lights exploded out of the picture in HDR, but looked dim and muted on the SDR side; that was the most obvious example.

Okay so I did some more testing...yes scenes with lights and such, the lights do 'explode' and pop much more then in SDR. However, besides things like that, the two sides look identical. In many scenes, you can't even tell there is a split screen going on. When lights or lightning are on the screen, sure it looks fantastic..just expected more from everywhere in the game I guess.

In my case it seemed I wasnt getting a solid enough wifi signal. I ended up putting my TV on the 5GhZ wifi band and then it streamed 4k fine.

lt519

Is this just a media thing? Sometimes during credit scenes, etc when there is white text and nothing else the TV displays it beautifully, other times I can just see a white column of light.

I did the black uniformity test from rtings, with local dimming off there's some problems on the bottom left, not terrible, but with local dimming on it can get pretty bad, but the text pops a lot better.

So what does everyone set for Smart LED, off, low, high? I've kind of settled on low.

You can hold down the back button for a few seconds and it will close the app completely out though.

I just scroll down a bit and click on "Home"

So what does everyone set for Smart LED, off, low, high? I've kind of settled on low.

The column of light you are describing is blooming caused by the TV's edge lighting system. It's an inherent flaw in the way local dimming works on edge-lit sets. I keep my Smart LED on low. High causes too much noticible blooming, and off causes white text on a black screen to be too dim since the set will dim the whole screen.

j-wood

My tv is still telling me it's up to date on 1150. I'm signed into Samsung account and have it hard wired on Ethernet. Is it possible something's wrong or is this a super slow rollout?

Works for me. Maybe try reinstalling the app?

already did that. you try reinstalling to see if it breaks :p

im on 1152 btw

My tv is still telling me it's up to date on 1150. I'm signed into Samsung account and have it hard wired on Ethernet. Is it possible something's wrong or is this a super slow rollout?

every firmware seems to have a slow rollout. if you want the latest firmware you have to grab from the web it seems.

How do you change the wifi band on the tv?

The band on the TV is changed automatically if you are connected to a 5Ghz network. If your router has dual band broadcasting just try connecting your TV to the 5ghz network that your router is broadcasting. 5Ghz works best if your device is closer and not being sent through solid walls.

Aske

Okay so I did some more testing...yes scenes with lights and such, the lights do 'explode' and pop much more then in SDR. However, besides things like that, the two sides look identical. In many scenes, you can't even tell there is a split screen going on. When lights or lightning are on the screen, sure it looks fantastic..just expected more from everywhere in the game I guess.

You'll notice SDR also looks like it has a faint grey filter over everything compared to HDR. Try some different scenes; the difference is profound.

Is this just a media thing? Sometimes during credit scenes, etc when there is white text and nothing else the TV displays it beautifully, other times I can just see a white column of light.

I did the black uniformity test from rtings, with local dimming off there's some problems on the bottom left, not terrible, but with local dimming on it can get pretty bad, but the text pops a lot better.

Mines set to high, and I've never seen blooming, much less like you're describing. This makes me wonder if adjusting your settings could mitigate the issue. Others have described the same thing as you, but it doesn't seem like everyone experiences it equally.

I'm on 1154.

Did you all get the update over the air? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I wonder if there's a way to reinstall the firmware from USB.

I updated to 1152 via usb.

Did you try reinstalling the youtube app to see if it broke for you? If it doesn't, then I'm going to upgrade to 1154.

spannicus

I wished everything i watched looked as good as some of these Youtube HDR vids. Especially the Jazz one damn!
Look for a video called Patagonia 8k shits nuts!

Don't you need to set it on high for HDR? That and backlight?

tommyguns

You'll notice SDR also looks like it has a faint grey filter over everything compared to HDR. Try some different scenes; the difference is profound.

I tried numerous scenes. I definitely see the "grey filter" you mention over things like lights and other bright objects...but normal scenes and colors. Nah, looks near identical a lot of the times

lt519

I just scroll down a bit and click on "Home"

The column of light you are describing is blooming caused by the TV's edge lighting system. It's an inherent flaw in the way local dimming works on edge-lit sets. I keep my Smart LED on low. High causes too much noticible blooming, and off causes white text on a black screen to be too dim since the set will dim the whole screen.

Yeah, it's just bizarre that sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't. I should pay more attention to the specific media I am consuming, HDR vs non-HDR. I'm fine with the blooming, there is some disappointing cloudiness in the bottom left that persists and I can see on dark scenes, bummer, but I was just curious why some media seemed crisper than others in regards to the white text on a black background.

Heel

Looks like there's yet another new firmware update.

Just got an over-the-air notification for firmware 1155. Had updated to 1154 via USB.

Maybe a hot fix for all the problems everyone is having?

Whelp, took the plunge. KS8000 60 inch is 1100 bucks on amazon. Will be here the 29th. Please, UPS driver, don't be crazy.

Can I ask you a semi-personal question?

Considering the TV's size and the fact that it's past the thousand dollar mark, did you consider purchasing an OLED TV?

Seeing how OLED TV's have non existent pixel response times makes me jealous. It's near instantaneous and great for video games since it has non-existent motion blur/ghosting/color smearing. Whereas the KS800 has 18ms of pixel response time average, which is actually still above average when it comes to VA panels, but nowhere near the best.

I know OLED's are expensive, but I think with sales/deals, you can get a 55 incher for 1,800 USD. Yeah, again 700 dollar difference, but - maybe a couple months of tightening the belt could have you gotten you there. What made you want to get this TV specifically at that price range?

Heel

Accidentally updated to the new 1155 firmware trying to get to the details pane, and now my YouTube back button doesn't work either...hahaha. Sweet.

Czigga

Considering the TV's size and the fact that it's past the thousand dollar mark, did you consider purchasing an OLED TV?

Seeing how OLED TV's have non existent pixel response times makes me jealous. It's near instantaneous and great for video games since it has non-existent motion blur/ghosting/color smearing. Whereas the KS800 has 18ms of pixel response time average, which is actually still above average when it comes to VA panels, but nowhere near the best.

I know OLED's are expensive, but I think with sales/deals, you can get a 55 incher for 1,800 USD. Yeah, again 700 dollar difference, but - maybe a couple months of tightening the belt could have you gotten you there. What made you want to get this TV specifically at that price range?

The pixel response on OLEDs are great, but it's the input lag that keeps them from being the best gamer TV for most applications.

4k HDR on the LG Z6 OLED or whatever it's called puts out around 60ms input lag in game mode in 4k HDR, which is noticeable. When compared to the KS8000 series which has around 22ms.(which is fantastic for a big screen TV, especially so w/ HDR)

So overall when you compare price, input lag, an image that's at least very competitive for the KS8000, makes it a very good option. Main issues are apparently quality control if you read owner forums around the internet. But a lot of that may also be influenced by the fact that 90% of posts are people with issues and problems wanting help, while happy owners with no issues are likely not posting.

Why are you asking this in a thread solely focusing on the KS8000? Get that shit out of here.

As posted above, it has great input lag.

Belker

I get this too. As others have said, I think it's related to the backlight, smart led and other brightness settings. Sometimes white text appears on a black background, other times it's like it's bathed in white light running up and down the screen.

The tv has quite restrictive viewing angles, so see if shifting your position produces different results. Also consider having a light behind the tv. This kind of bias lighting appears to help in general with one's perception of darkness and contrast.

TLZ

Banned
Accidentally updated to the new 1155 firmware trying to get to the details pane, and now my YouTube back button doesn't work either...hahaha. Sweet.

Seriously how silly are they?

I now scroll all the way down til I reach the home icon to go back.

Head.spawn

Unplug your TV.

Take the batteries out of the remote.

Wait a few minutes, then juice them back up.

I had this issue two nights ago, I literally wanted to punch a hole in the screen I was so pissed. Got Samsung support chat going and that was their solution. It worked.

Unfortunately that "interest based advertising" shit doesn't go away, even if you opt out. I have a damn ad on my Hub now. Really annoying.

Heel

Unplug your TV.

Take the batteries out of the remote.

Wait a few minutes, then juice them back up.

I had this issue two nights ago, I literally wanted to punch a hole in the screen I was so pissed. Got Samsung support chat going and that was their solution. It worked.

Unfortunately that "interest based advertising" shit doesn't go away, even if you opt out. I have a damn ad on my Hub now. Really annoying.

Wow, this totally worked. On firmware 1155 with a working YouTube back button now. Appreciate it.

For anyone having problems with the back button in the YouTube app, try this.

Rongolian

Banned
Updated to 1155 automatically, no youtube back button issue yet though.

What are the D/L speeds that shift the youtube app to 4k? Mine is showing 21Mbps and still won't swap to 4k, but I can stream youtube 4k on my PC with the same connection speed.

Heel

Updated to 1155 automatically, no youtube back button issue yet though.

What are the D/L speeds that shift the youtube app to 4k? Mine is showing 21Mbps and still won't swap to 4k, but I can stream youtube 4k on my PC with the same connection speed.

I've noticed on the latest firmware that the YouTube videos on The HDR Channel will often stay on 1440p. On the previous firmware, they'd go to 2160p every time for me.

Restart the video with the "Stats for Nerds" pane up and you'll sometimes get 2160p right off the bat.

This firmware update has been such a bummer. You can't even get the resolution on Netflix anymore.

Aske

I don't have an ad on my hub, and would be calling Samsung pissed as hell if I did. Are you sure there isn't a different option you can switch off to get rid of it?

jorma

is now taking requests
I've noticed on the latest firmware that the YouTube videos on The HDR Channel will often stay on 1440p. On the previous firmware, they'd go to 2160p every time for me.

Restart the video with the "Stats for Nerds" pane up and you'll sometimes get 2160p right off the bat.

This firmware update has been such a bummer. You can't even get the resolution on Netflix anymore.

Thank you for the heads up, made me turn off auto-update.
Did it have any good changes compared to 1154?

Top Bottom