• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I can't speak for other screen cleaners, but a popular suggestion in this thread was a very soft, clean microfiber cloth with a tiny amount of water. That's what I had the best luck with when I got a few smudges on mine.

I had read that the TV already comes with a microfiber cloth is that true..otherwise we do have some..so I take the cloth, put a tiny amount of water on it, squeeze it out then clean the TV gently will that do it..this TV is so sensitive I took my sleeve, and I just touched the screen because I saw a speck of something on it and bam already a smudge

You guys have to try Grand Tour on Amazon.

Even if you hate car shows or Jeremy Clarkson, the image quality is surreal. I wish TV standards was already at 4K HDR.

I'm spoiled after watch the first 5 episodes of the show.

The Beard

Even if you hate car shows or Jeremy Clarkson, the image quality is surreal. I wish TV standards was already at 4K HDR.

The show looks amazing in 1080p SDR. I wish TV standards would at least approach that quality. It makes HD cable look like 480p in comparison.

Orayn

I had read that the TV already comes with a microfiber cloth is that true..otherwise we do have some..so I take the cloth, put a tiny amount of water on it, squeeze it out then clean the TV gently will that do it..this TV is so sensitive I took my sleeve, and I just touched the screen because I saw a speck of something on it and bam already a smudge

Yes, there's a blue microfiber cloth in the bag that has all the manuals and stuff, and that's how I cleaned the smudges from mine.

Yes, there's a blue microfiber cloth in the bag that has all the manuals and stuff, and that's how I cleaned the smudges from mine.

Darn I didnt see it I guess I have to go look back in the box but its already been taped it up with my old TV..my Mom has a microfiber cloth so I can just use hers..another question that I have is about how sometimes on the top of the screen I will see a tiny little box that pops up that says "Samsung Extra" is that some kind of annoying as hell advertisement we cant do anything about? Another question that I have is about turning off the TV..I asked someone about this earlier and he confirmed that when you turn off the TV, instead of it just going black and turning off you see two black bars coming down like a movie and thats how it turns off..the weird thing is that my TV is connected via wifi and you know how it will say "Whats on" and you will see a few TV shows..when I turned off the TV last night it said SNL, etc..this morning when I turned it back on it said the same programs then updated itself after a few min

legbone

Many sets thee days can use max contrast without clipping whites in SDR content.

Now max backlight is typically trash for SDR, needs to be set low, and is lighting dependent.

according to the dve disc my ks9000 is clipping whites, but only after 95 or higher so you are essentially correct.

Darn I didnt see it I guess I have to go look back in the box but its already been taped it up with my old TV..my Mom has a microfiber cloth so I can just use hers..another question that I have is about how sometimes on the top of the screen I will see a tiny little box that pops up that says "Samsung Extra" is that some kind of annoying as hell advertisement we cant do anything about? Another question that I have is about turning off the TV..I asked someone about this earlier and he confirmed that when you turn off the TV, instead of it just going black and turning off you see two black bars coming down like a movie and thats how it turns off..the weird thing is that my TV is connected via wifi and you know how it will say "Whats on" and you will see a few TV shows..when I turned off the TV last night it said SNL, etc..this morning when I turned it back on it said the same programs then updated itself after a few min

Somewhere in the settings (i think in the system menu) there is a setting for notifications that can be turned off. i don't get those things anymore now. as for cleaning, microfiber cloth and distilled water. if you must use something stronger, distilled water with a bit of vinegar. steer clear of anythiing with alcohol in it. torture to modern high quality screens.

Aske

Seriously, if you think GT looks good, check out some UHD Blu-rays. If you don't have a player yet, just enjoy knowing your TV still has a lot of extra beef in its sandwich.

legbone

Seriously, if you think GT looks good, check out some UHD Blu-rays. If you don't have a player yet, just enjoy knowing your TV still has a lot of extra beef in its sandwich.

i have lucy, the revenent, and mad max on their way to me as i type this. i cannot wait. of course the only player i have at the moment is the xbox one s, but i have heard it does just fine. i'm eyeing the samsung player that was cheap around black friday, but it's out of stock or too high priced at the moment due to all the sales on these tv's (ks8000's and ks9000's) that were going on.

j-wood

So I took the plunge, and upgrade my theater receiver. I was having issues with syncing using optical from TV to my old receiver.

So I got what I think is a really good one from Costco, the yahmaha TSR-5810.

Booting up my PS4 pro, my video output settings showed 2k/4k supported under HDR.

I don't know much about AV stuff, but I booted into Final Fantasy 15 and I got the banner that an HDR video was playing. My main questions are:

1. There would never be something odd that HDR would pass through, but the quality wouldn't be the same as directly connecting it to the TV right?

2. It's nice so far to have all my audio options back, but it I just realized it sucks that everything is on one HDMI input on the TV now, so I'll have to manually turn on game mode and all that jazz every time I play a game, unless there is a way to avoid that that I don't know about.

3. Is game mode really necessary on this tv?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If I'm playing a game that isn't pro patched.... should/can I change a setting on the tv so it doesn't scale to 4K? I recently went back and replayed some battlefront, bf4, and witcher 3 and they looked overly pixelated (battlefront was baaaad). I switched the console to 1080 instead of automatic but it didn't help. Do I need to change a tv setting for older games?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys any good YouTube videos to try out my new hdr tv? Hdr channel was cool but i want to watch movie trailers in hdr. What about Netflix.

according to the dve disc my ks9000 is clipping whites, but only after 95 or higher so you are essentially correct.

Somewhere in the settings (i think in the system menu) there is a setting for notifications that can be turned off. i don't get those things anymore now. as for cleaning, microfiber cloth and distilled water. if you must use something stronger, distilled water with a bit of vinegar. steer clear of anythiing with alcohol in it. torture to modern high quality screens.

Yeah Im not seeing anything in settings as far as getting rid of the darn samsung extra..after checking it out it isnt that bad its sorta interesting just annoying how it pops up from time to time..I am receiving my Netgear ethernet switch and cables on Tuesday so will get the PS4 PRO and XBOX ONE S installed later that day..for both I just need to turn ON HDR once the cable is installed so that both will run HDR right..or are there special steps to make this work

Aske

i have lucy, the revenent, and mad max on their way to me as i type this. i cannot wait. of course the only player i have at the moment is the xbox one s, but i have heard it does just fine. i'm eyeing the samsung player that was cheap around black friday, but it's out of stock or too high priced at the moment due to all the sales on these tv's (ks8000's and ks9000's) that were going on.

I'm also using an Xbone S, and it seems to be a solid player overall. However, at one point I did notice a few seconds during which the movie kind of stuttered, almost like a framerate drop in a game. Apparently a few people have duff drives and were getting this every couple of minutes. Going to see what happens when I play some other discs before calling MS (hope it was a one-off thing) but if this happens to you, know that it's the disc drive, and not your cables or discs.

So far, I've not been blown away by any HDR content I've streamed yet, aside from those demo videos on YouTube's HDR channel. Not to say it looks bad - it looks great - just that I get where some people are coming from when they say they're underwhelmed. Gears of War 4 is the only HDR game I've played, and while the effect is obvious and the game looks superb, it doesn't compare to Lucy on 4K Blu-ray. Every second of that movie is a testament to the leap forward in picture quality HDR represents. I'm not even worried about over-hyping it. We have the same TV, and you will be blown away. I already know I'll be buying far more UHD Blu-rays than I did 1080p BDs. Going to watch X-Men Apocalypse next.

Ronin Ray

Yeah Im not seeing anything in settings as far as getting rid of the darn samsung extra..after checking it out it isnt that bad its sorta interesting just annoying how it pops up from time to time..I am receiving my Netgear ethernet switch and cables on Tuesday so will get the PS4 PRO and XBOX ONE S installed later that day..for both I just need to turn ON HDR once the cable is installed so that both will run HDR right..or are there special steps to make this work

Hit the extra button srcoll down in that window . There is a setting button inside there. That's how you turn it off

Hit the extra button srcoll down in that window . There is a setting button inside there. That's how you turn it off

Thanks for the info..another question..as far as the picture mode..is "Movie" mode the most recommended setting..I checked out dynamic mode but it seems a little too bright for my eyes..natural mode I heard if I use that the HDR wont work properly not sure if that is true..for the sound I have it as "Music" mode, standard sounds way too soft not sure why

legbone

Turn the HDR on for the input in your TV. The ps4 and xbox will put out a hdr signal if available. then you will get a message from your tv when hdr material begins. the setting you are looking for is under "expert settings", HDMI UHD Color. There is a setting for each HDMI input on the box. I just set all mine to pass it and forgot about it. not sure why you wouldn't turn them all on but there may be reasons.

I'm also using an Xbone S, and it seems to be a solid player overall. However, at one point I did notice a few seconds during which the movie kind of stuttered, almost like a framerate drop in a game. Apparently a few people have duff drives and were getting this every couple of minutes. Going to see what happens when I play some other discs before calling MS (hope it was a one-off thing) but if this happens to you, know that it's the disc drive, and not your cables or discs.

So far, I've not been blown away by any HDR content I've streamed yet, aside from those demo videos on YouTube's HDR channel. Not to say it looks bad - it looks great - just that I get where some people are coming from when they say they're underwhelmed. Gears of War 4 is the only HDR game I've played, and while the effect is obvious and the game looks superb, it doesn't compare to Lucy on 4K Blu-ray. Every second of that movie is a testament to the leap forward in picture quality HDR represents. I'm not even worried about over-hyping it. We have the same TV, and you will be blown away. I already know I'll be buying far more UHD Blu-rays than I did 1080p BDs. Going to watch X-Men Apocalypse next.

Thanks for the heads up on the drive issues. haven't read about those. hopefully mine is fine, but worse comes to worst i will buy the samsung player and the xbox will just play games. i plan on picking up oppo's new 4k player someday soon (i have their first 1080p bluray player that they put out years ago and it is still stunning). plan on putting a small 4k set in my bedroom so the samsung could go there once i pick up the oppo.

thanks, i couldn't remember where that was.

Thanks for the info..another question..as far as the picture mode..is "Movie" mode the most recommended setting..I checked out dynamic mode but it seems a little too bright for my eyes..natural mode I heard if I use that the HDR wont work properly not sure if that is true..for the sound I have it as "Music" mode, standard sounds way too soft not sure why

not sure about sound, i'm not one to ask about that. i'm just running optical out to a gefen converter (to lr stereo) to use with my old zvox soundbar that doesn't have hdmi or optical in (sounds fricking great though, bass shakes my living room). dynamic mode is "torch mode" basically and is pretty much useless in my opinion except for showing off in brightly lit stores. i prefer movie mode due to the available settings and with it and warm 2 you can calibrate close to smpte (i think that's it) using a dve disc alone. especially since this tv has a dedicated rgb mode for calibration. you don't even have to use the filter that comes with the disc. look for "digital video essentials: hd basics" bluray. you can use it to calibrate at home without all the fancy tools. or if you have the tools you can use it as well. it teaches you the basics of calibration, the reasons for each setting and then walks you through everything from the proper backlighting, tv settings and audio settings (speaker placement mainly) and teaches you how to amateur calibrate. great tool. i haven't heard but i figure they are wroking on a 4k version but the 1080p version works. and btw for those curious, my colors were dead on out of the box using the disc. my previous samsung (9 years old mind you) needed adjustments out of the box. the main thing i like it for is calibrating based upon the unique lighting in the room (and you can figure out what works best at night and best during the day). i pretty much ended up with backlight of 7 during the night and 10 during the day with a set brightness of 43 (crushed blacks under that) and contrast of 95 (clipped whites over that). keep in mind that those settings are dependent upon your viewing environment and are just for example's sake.

TLZ

Banned
Youtube videos marked 4K all stream at 1440@60p for minutes until it switches to 4K with this latest update. Also I'm back to having sign in issues again when it was fixed with the last one :/

SlimySnake

Marco Polo on Netflix is 4k HDR

I wasn't impressed by Marco Polo. Don't take it as an exemplar of good HDR.

This. Tried it yesterday and didnt like it. You can actually search 'HDR' on the netflix app and it will return a list of HDR enabled shows. Looks like all the marvel shows are HDR and so are Adam Sandler movies for some reason.

The only HDR footage thats blown me away so far has been the two trailers for Life of Pi and Exodus Gods and Men. That shit was mindblowing. I played Ratchet and Uncharted yesterday and aside from the lighting feeling a bit more realistic, i didnt notice a difference lol.

I spent a $1000 to buy the same size tv and cant tell the difference. 4k looks great and i notice more details here and there but i was just as satisfied with the downsampled image. Bought this over other HDR tvs because this seemed like the best one for HDR gaming aside from super expensive sets. I am pretty sure i have all the setup done correctly so maybe this is as good as it gets?

This. Tried it yesterday and didnt like it. You can actually search 'HDR' on the netflix app and it will return a list of HDR enabled shows. Looks like all the marvel shows are HDR and so are Adam Sandler movies for some reason.

The only HDR footage thats blown me away so far has been the two trailers for Life of Pi and Exodus Gods and Men. That shit was mindblowing. I played Ratchet and Uncharted yesterday and aside from the lighting feeling a bit more realistic, i didnt notice a difference lol.

I spent a $1000 to buy the same size tv and cant tell the difference. 4k looks great and i notice more details here and there but i was just as satisfied with the downsampled image. Bought this over other HDR tvs because this seemed like the best one for HDR gaming aside from super expensive sets. I am pretty sure i have all the setup done correctly so maybe this is as good as it gets?

I feel like now that HDR content is becoming streamable and gaming is starting to utilize it you will start seeing content designed and filmed to properly take advantage of the HDR technology thats there. Right now I feel we are seeing a lot of after thought tack ons and the true HDR experiences are few. This is my hope anyways.

SlimySnake

I feel like now that HDR content is becoming streamable and gaming is starting to utilize it you will start seeing content designed and filmed to properly take advantage of the HDR technology thats there. Right now I feel we are seeing a lot of after thought tack ons and the true HDR experiences are few. This is my hope anyways.
But Digital Foundry and every other tech youtube channel were making Ratchet, FFXV and Uncharted HDR modes out to be a game changing experience. i havent tried FFXV yet but both Ratchet and Uncharted were very underwhelming. They both already looked blood brilliant on my 1080p screen and the wow effect is just not there at 4k hdr.

I really hope you are right and we get more stuff like Life of Pi and Exodus because that was mindblowing. that was like experiencing 3d for the first time or playing a PS2 game for the first time.

I'm looking to get a soundbar for my tv soon. Looking at the bose cinemate 2. Its super small which is what I want and I love the way it looks. I can get it used (like new) condition for $225. Is there anything else around that price I should consider?
Edit: and I don't consider myself an audiophile

FYI for anyone using optical pass through in the TV: it introduces a significant lag that cannot be adjusted in the TV's settings.

This is especially noticeable if you play rhythm games like the Necrodancer.
Optical PS4 -> receiver is still a better option.

Rongolian

Banned
Is there an "info" button or equivalent that shows displayed resolution by the TV? I know how to find this on different apps but I can't seem to find it on the TV itself

laxu

FYI for anyone using optical pass through in the TV: it introduces a significant lag that cannot be adjusted in the TV's settings.

This is especially noticeable if you play rhythm games like the Necrodancer.
Optical PS4 -> receiver is still a better option.

What do you mean by this? Audio lag? I have my TV hooked up via optical cable from the One Connect box to my receiver (as this Denon receiver -> TV via HDMI adds lag).

Shai-Tan

Banned

yeah, the demos on youtube show that Netflix isn't taking as much advantage of it as it could, in my judgement anyway; seems like when 3d movies are made 3d by post processing, not shot for it. Grand Tour on Amazon does a good job of showing how HDR affects light but I have no desire to watch Top Gear so it's like another demo to me.

Turn the HDR on for the input in your TV. The ps4 and xbox will put out a hdr signal if available. then you will get a message from your tv when hdr material begins. the setting you are looking for is under "expert settings", HDMI UHD Color. There is a setting for each HDMI input on the box. I just set all mine to pass it and forgot about it. not sure why you wouldn't turn them all on but there may be reasons.

Thanks for the heads up on the drive issues. haven't read about those. hopefully mine is fine, but worse comes to worst i will buy the samsung player and the xbox will just play games. i plan on picking up oppo's new 4k player someday soon (i have their first 1080p bluray player that they put out years ago and it is still stunning). plan on putting a small 4k set in my bedroom so the samsung could go there once i pick up the oppo.

thanks, i couldn't remember where that was.

not sure about sound, i'm not one to ask about that. i'm just running optical out to a gefen converter (to lr stereo) to use with my old zvox soundbar that doesn't have hdmi or optical in (sounds fricking great though, bass shakes my living room). dynamic mode is "torch mode" basically and is pretty much useless in my opinion except for showing off in brightly lit stores. i prefer movie mode due to the available settings and with it and warm 2 you can calibrate close to smpte (i think that's it) using a dve disc alone. especially since this tv has a dedicated rgb mode for calibration. you don't even have to use the filter that comes with the disc. look for "digital video essentials: hd basics" bluray. you can use it to calibrate at home without all the fancy tools. or if you have the tools you can use it as well. it teaches you the basics of calibration, the reasons for each setting and then walks you through everything from the proper backlighting, tv settings and audio settings (speaker placement mainly) and teaches you how to amateur calibrate. great tool. i haven't heard but i figure they are wroking on a 4k version but the 1080p version works. and btw for those curious, my colors were dead on out of the box using the disc. my previous samsung (9 years old mind you) needed adjustments out of the box. the main thing i like it for is calibrating based upon the unique lighting in the room (and you can figure out what works best at night and best during the day). i pretty much ended up with backlight of 7 during the night and 10 during the day with a set brightness of 43 (crushed blacks under that) and contrast of 95 (clipped whites over that). keep in mind that those settings are dependent upon your viewing environment and are just for example's sake.

I will turn on the HDR on all of my HDMI channels before I put in the PS4 PRO and XBOX ONE S..I am receiving my ethernet switch and cables tomorrow then I have to put in the old 2TB samsung hard drive into my PS4 PRO and Im good to go..once I have the PS4 PRO connected I have to go into settings and make sure that UHD is checked off so that it will detect the HDR now as far as the HCPI is concerned or whatever the heck you call it I guess I have to go back into safe mode after wards and check automatic so that it will auto detect my setting?

d.cay

Neo Member
Man, I don't know what to do: A little while ago I wrote in this thread that you have to position yourself correctly in front of the TV to get the most out of the HDR-quailty in games but honestly though, it simply doesn't look quite right yet. I'm testing Ratchet & Clank on my KS7090 (German version of KS8000 in the US, if I'm not misinformed) and when I turn on HDR via the TV-settings, the picture dims down significantly, the vibrance is gone, it looks washed out. I use the movie-preset as a basis and no dynamic contrast. Sure, you can brush it up a bit with dynamic contrast turned on, but that should not be used in a perfect world. When I turn HDR off everything pops again, it is ridiculous! HDR-Content via the built-in YouTube-App is amazing, the panel seems to be just fine, I don't know what to do. And in Final Fantasy XV, it just doesn't seem to be much of a difference whatsoever, it is so weird! I have the feeling that I'm missing something crucial here, some sort of unsuccessful handshake between PS4 and TV or I DON'T KNOW. Please, someone?

legbone

I agree. We are basically future proofing ourselves.

I will turn on the HDR on all of my HDMI channels before I put in the PS4 PRO and XBOX ONE S..I am receiving my ethernet switch and cables tomorrow then I have to put in the old 2TB samsung hard drive into my PS4 PRO and Im good to go..once I have the PS4 PRO connected I have to go into settings and make sure that UHD is checked off so that it will detect the HDR now as far as the HCPI is concerned or whatever the heck you call it I guess I have to go back into safe mode after wards and check automatic so that it will auto detect my setting?

I pretty much set everything to auto, and as far as i know all is well (as far as i know is the catch). i hope anyone that knows better than i do (i've only had the tv for a little over a week after all, and most of my info is from this limited time with it or the hours and hours of research, and years and years of research prior to owning it about stuff like this in general) will please correct me. i was an avsforum regular for years (they have a gaming section) before i found neogaf thanks to the arcade stick thread here. once i got approved for gaf (holy shit, just looked and it was 2009, my how time flies) i kind of disappeared from there. if anyone here frequents their forums i am legbone there as well. their forums are great great btw, i have learned a lot from their ks9000 owner's thread, just be careful, they are more picky and ocd than gaf and can make you start looking for things you don't want to find. i found with my samsung set from those days(ln46a650 in case anyone is curious) it was best to calibrate, get everything hooked up and working well, then forget it and enjoy. i do a calibration once a year to take into account the aging of the set and that is it.

Somebody should record HDR video of a good HDR enabled game and put that on youtube/download.

At least it would give some of us an idea of what to expect and if game mode is working properly. You could try it on different displays to compare too.

HDR in built in youtube app looks very bright, in game mode with same settings things are just ok in terms of brightness.

Heel

Speaking of UHD Blu-rays, how does the XBOX One S fare as a player in comparison to the Samsung player? I can get either for a similar price.

legbone

I'm stuck with PS4 Pro at the moment.... so.... no 4K UHD Blu-rays

yeah, i cannot fucking (pardon my language but it's called for in this situation) believe they didn't have a player in it. i just hope (but i have a feeling it's coming) they don't come out with another system in two years that has a player and is a little more powerful to compete with the scorpio.

j-wood

Is gaming mode really necessary for gaming? I just got a new 4k receiver, so I would have to turn game mode on and off constantly, since everything is now on one input on the TV itself.

I just tried a match of call of duty though and didn't seem to notice any difference. Is there something that isn't apparent?

Top Bottom