• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

bodine1231

The new update that Samsung rolled out has ruined XRGB performance on the KS8000 in Game Mode. Every 10-15 sec the screen will hitch and the picture will split into different colors for a milisecond and appear back to normal. It runs fine when I turn Game Mode off but the lag is horrible. This never happened before the update.

TWRVNIxl.jpg

Heel

The new update that Samsung rolled out has ruined XRGB performance on the KS8000 in Game Mode. Every 10-15 sec the screen will hitch and the picture will split into different colors for a milisecond and appear back to normal. It runs fine when I turn Game Mode off but the lag is horrible. This never happened before the update.

TWRVNIxl.jpg

I was wondering if this was the Samsung update or the PS4 Pro. Also been experiencing something like that for the last few days.

In the PS4 XMB, when I go from the top row of icons (messages, trophies, etc.) to the row with games and apps to launch, I'll sometimes get a trail of red from the animation.

I assume we're experiencing the same thing. Maybe try to post this on the official Samsung Community forum to get some eyes on it? Hopefully it's something they'll bother to address.

Aske

using the cable that came with PS4 pro. not had problems the last 2 weeks... only thing that changed is i changed to 1154 firmware on the tv.

Try a power cycle. If that fails, it's new cable time. And even if that fails, you might just have to have Samsung switch out the OneConnect box.

Does anyone have an Xbox One S paired with this set and play Destiny?

In the last room of the Darkblade strike I get horrendous colour banding when the shadows transition to light. At points my whole screen is filled with bands. It looks horrible. I also get the same effect in Gears of War 4 in similar scenarios.....night sky or shadows show banding when moving to lighter colours.

If anyone could test with Destiny that would be great!

I can't test Destiny, but Gears of War 4 looked flawless from beginning to end for me.

a little bad news though. i woke up this morning and was greeted with a remote that has decided to obey me part of the time. i spun the batteries (thanks again aske, you are a blessing to have around in this thread) and all is well. good thing that's an easy fix if it goes south (as aske has stated).

Irritating you're experiencing the same remote issue - hopefully it'll be as rare for you as it's been for me. And no worries! This thread was unbelievably helpful when I was setting up my KS8000, and I'm very happy to stick around and pass down my ancient bought-the-TV-last-month knowledge.

Anybody ever figure out if you can run 10bit on the chine without getting crushed blacks?

Has anyone used a Frame Meister for retro games on this thing?

TWRVNIxl.jpg

Hey man, I got the same thing. I was watching PSVUE and it occurred during a football game, I think I experienced it once before in Titanfall 2 before this update, so I don't know if it has to do with the update or not. I was thinking it was my Pro, but if you're saying it doesn't happen when Game Mode is turned off then I assume it's the TV. I searched the web to find any info on this and couldn't, I'm glad you were able to catch a picture of it in action.

EDIT: I definitely don't get it as frequent as you, it happened to me twice total since I had the TV

Shai-Tan

Banned
question: why in the "stats for nerds" info on youtube does it have dimensions of "1920 x 1080 * 2"? Is that the same for everyone else? I checked on my other 4k tv from 2015 and it said dimensions were "1280 x 720 * 3". If it's actually running in 4k there why not show it as 4k rather than some lower resolution with multiple?

kagigod

Neo Member

TWRVNIxl.jpg

Same thing happened with my KS7000 and the FrameMeister. Fiddling with the sync settings in the FM seems to have fix it thouhg. I set the Sync time to 10 and then selecting and de-selecting the last option in that menu seems to fix the issue. Also, I found that disabling the sync in the FM also fixes it, but then you get some judder.

d.cay

Neo Member
This is quoting my question, and I confirm that after getting used to HDR content, I can't go back to non HDR on games that have HDR.

Thank you guys, appreciate the confirmation! If you don't mind, please have a brief look at this guy's video on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNWNplGfLdw ). Apart from it being filmed off-screen and - so I think - not with an HDR-camera: am I crazy or is that setting far too colorful?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Should I turn on UHD Color for my Comcast box? My initial thought is that it would make zero difference, but I thought I would ask.

TWRVNIxl.jpg

Happens to me on FIFA a lot, only happens on Game mode.

j-wood

My TV never received an OTA for 1154. I went straight from 1150 to 1155. So for everyone that manually updated, I wonder if 1154 was stopped because of bugs you mentioned, and 1155 was rolled out. I've not had any of the issues people are having so far in the thread

kagete

I wish there were KS8000 sets with dumb TV internals. I'd pay extra for such a TV.

In other news, It's now 3 weeks that I've been waiting for my return shipping label from Samsung.com for my set with the ripple on the screen. There really isn't any comparable TV right now that I'd buy but I'm scared of ordering another Samsung. We're already second guessing if we should take them up on their Washer/Dryer top loader recall and my wife's older Note is dying after just one year.

All in all, their phone customer support is terrible and it's really starting to make me not want to ever purchase another product from them ever again. They make great stuff at good prices though. I just hope to never have to deal with returns or warranty ever again.

I wish there were KS8000 sets with dumb TV internals. I'd pay extra for such a TV.

In other news, It's now 3 weeks that I've been waiting for my return shipping label from Samsung.com for my set with the ripple on the screen. There really isn't any comparable TV right now that I'd buy but I'm scared of ordering another Samsung. We're already second guessing if we should take them up on their Washer/Dryer top loader recall and my wife's older Note is dying after just one year.

All in all, their phone customer support is terrible and it's really starting to make me not want to ever purchase another product from them ever again. They make great stuff at good prices though. I just hope to never have to deal with returns or warranty ever again.

Uhh, Id call them back. I had something similar happen when my first TV came with dead pixels. I called and they claimed they scheduled a technician; after a week I called asking about it and their response was that there was nothing in the system regarding a tech being scheduled. So I told them I want a return slip immediately to ship the damn thing back. Just got my 2nd TV and thankfully its good with the exception of some flashlighting but the whole ordeal took about a month.

kagete

Uhh, Id call them back. I had something similar happen when my first TV came with dead pixels. I called and they claimed they scheduled a technician; after a week I called asking about it and their response was that there was nothing in the system regarding a tech being scheduled. So I told them I want a return slip immediately to ship the damn thing back. Just got my 2nd TV and thankfully its good with the exception of some flashlighting but the whole ordeal took about a month.

I'm tired. I'm on my 3rd escalation where they guarantee you will receive a shipping label with 5 days. I'll call again on Friday. I'm spending too much energy and getting too stressed out by these follow-ups.

I can't wait for CES. I need to see some better competition from other brands ASAP.

I have a request if anyone has some time. Could someone take a photo of their ks8000 (49 or 55 inch) in desktop mode for their PC? I'm really looking forward to replacing my dying monitor and TV, but I'm curious how a "battlestation" would look for a TV setup.

Yopis

Ripple on screen? Crazy they should be working faster. Did you post pics of that by any chance?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone having trouble with streaming content through the media hub with this TV? The connection is painfully slow -- can barely stream 1080p, much less 4k.

And yes, before someone asks, my Internet is good and I have zero problems streaming on any other device, including my PS4, iPAD, phone, etc.

So my KS9000 has a dead pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen. It's not really noticeable and when I'm watching TV or playing games I can barely notice it BUT I know it's there and it bothers me.

I got lucky on the Samsung lottery panel and scored an AA02 panel which according to rtings has worse viewing angles but better contrast. Hardly any light bleed or clouding. Should I return the set or just stay with it? What say you Gaf? I'll post a pic later.

Golgo 13

I'm guessing you're wireless? I'm wired and haven't had any issues with streaming 4K. 60Mbps Internet.
I am wireless, yeah, but so are all my other devices which have no problem streaming content with zero issues -- so as I said, it's not my internet.

MazeHaze

Banned
I have a request if anyone has some time. Could someone take a photo of their ks8000 (49 or 55 inch) in desktop mode for their PC? I'm really looking forward to replacing my dying monitor and TV, but I'm curious how a "battlestation" would look for a TV setup.

g1WRW6n.jpg

So my KS9000 has a dead pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen. It's not really noticeable and when I'm watching TV or playing games I can barely notice it BUT I know it's there and it bothers me.

I got lucky on the Samsung lottery panel and scored an AA02 panel which according to rtings has worse viewing angles but better contrast. Hardly any light bleed or clouding. Should I return the set or just stay with it? What say you Gaf? I'll post a pic later.

Take a microfiber cloth, and very gently press it against the screen where the dead pixel is. I had a couple originally, did this and they turned on instantly.

Aces&Eights

So, is there a downside to just not turning on the internet and avoiding these updates? My TV will be here in a week and if it works out of the box, I don't want to tempt fate and update then have issues. Or, can you roll back updates?

I am wireless, yeah, but so are all my other devices which have no problem streaming content with zero issues -- so as I said, it's not my internet.

Are you streaming 4K on any of those other devices?

Do they have less blockage/better line-of-sight to the wireless router or access point than the TV/OneConnect box does?

MazeHaze

Banned
So, is there a downside to just not turning on the internet and avoiding these updates? My TV will be here in a week and if it works out of the box, I don't want to tempt fate and update then have issues. Or, can you roll back updates?

I haven't had any problems and I'm on current firmware. Also, by not updating you'll miss out on youtube HDR.

edit: also you'll need to use the tv's netflix app for HDR I believe, so you'll need to connect to the internet.

Aces&Eights

I haven't had any problems and I'm on current firmware. Also, by not updating you'll miss out on youtube HDR.

edit: also you'll need to use the tv's netflix app for HDR I believe, so you'll need to connect to the internet.

Hmmm, dangit. I'm already worried about a crazy UPS driver kicking the TV down my street now I have to wonder if the updates will make things weird, lol. Whelp, it's all in the TV delivery God's hands now.

Golgo 13

Are you streaming 4K on any of those other devices?

Do they have less blockage/better line-of-sight to the wireless router or access point than the TV/OneConnect box does?
I'm not streaming 4k on the other devices, no. It's worth noting that I can't even stream Full HD (much less UHD) content through my Smarthub though. Even tried similar applications side by side (Netflix in this case) where my PS4 would stream 1080p perfectly and my Smarthub wouldn't even let shows load (they were stuck at %25). Other apps worked better, like Amazon video, but when they ran, they were very grainy (buffering between probably 480i to 720p).

And no, there's nothing obscuring the signal. A thin pane of glass that holds my TV and OneConnect, that's it.

Belker

Bit worrying - my 55" UK Ks7000 / US 8000 was losing video all the time in BF1 earlier for a second or so, before starting again. I also had moments where the screen had this weird red and blue ghosting for a fraction of a second, almost like I was watching an old 3D movie. The video loss is still happening on a Netflix on Xbox One.

Any ideas? Didn't happen when I played PS4 earlier for an hour. Xbox One is set to 10bit colour and standard colour space. Breakout box is t hit to the touch and I'm using Amazon basics 2.0 HDMI. I'm on firmware 1154.

Help me out, here. I love the SDR picture but HDR just doesn't look any different.
Ratchet and Klank was supposed to show a really good representation of HDR but when I switch it off from PS4 menu, the game looks exactly the same. The 'HDR' banner from the TV pops up but the image is literally identical.

Grand Tour from build in Amazon app is same. It sure looks nice but it's not as somebody else described here: EP3 being so bright, they feel like wearing sunglasses. I was watching it complete dark and still didn't feel it was too bright with maxed out backlight.

I am wondering if my TV if just faulty. A lot of setup guides say to set Backlight to '5' for SDR but it's too dark on my TV for that, I have to go to 13.

So, anyone else has same issues? My panel is AA002, all PS4 settings on auto.

I was wondering if this was the Samsung update or the PS4 Pro. Also been experiencing something like that for the last few days.

In the PS4 XMB, when I go from the top row of icons (messages, trophies, etc.) to the row with games and apps to launch, I'll sometimes get a trail of red from the animation.

I assume we're experiencing the same thing. Maybe try to post this on the official Samsung Community forum to get some eyes on it? Hopefully it's something they'll bother to address.

Look at this, do you see motion blur / color trailing?

The Ks8000 does have 18ms pixel response time. And while there are faster VA panels out there, anything below 20ms pixel response is good enough. (keep in mind input lag and pixel response times are two different things)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW1IUiVknwI

If you see red smearing or other trailing visual artifacts than something might be wrong. 18ms pixel response shouldn't cause such an obvious color trail.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Gonna play it safe and disconnect from the internet on the TV. I don't need any of it's "smart" features anyway. I have a Roku Ultimate and a 4K receiver. Until I hear something about them fixing the weird game mode settings bug, I'm just going to avoid any and all updates.

Yopis

Maybe just me but my replacement ks8000 was a fa01. No lightbleed and feel the picture is better than the aa02 I had.

Both bought in store sealed.

Help me out, here. I love the SDR picture but HDR just doesn't look any different.
Ratchet and Klank was supposed to show a really good representation of HDR but when I switch it off from PS4 menu, the game looks exactly the same. The 'HDR' banner from the TV pops up but the image is literally identical.

Grand Tour from build in Amazon app is same. It sure looks nice but it's not as somebody else described here: EP3 being so bright, they feel like wearing sunglasses. I was watching it complete dark and still didn't feel it was too bright with maxed out backlight.

I am wondering if my TV if just faulty. A lot of setup guides say to set Backlight to '5' for SDR but it's too dark on my TV for that, I have to go to 13.

Recreating your settings I do not notice significant difference going from a backlight of 13 either. 13 in SDR is still very bright so I don't think you will notice a whole lot of difference in the two as far as overall brightness goes.

Is there no way to make sure I'm getting 4K on the Netflix tv app anymore? Info no longer works

Just click on source and then the info will be at the right in the banner. It will say 4k and then HDR if its 4k HDR. Ive noticed most YouTube videos that claim to be 4k HDR aren't.

MazeHaze

Banned

I feel like there's a lot of enthusiastic hyperbole about HDR where people are expecting too much.

It's a combination of more accurate color and a more realistic representation of bright and dark. Fiddling with settings back and forth between sdr and hdr isnt gonna give you a "holy shit".

Rather, sit back and play ratchet for 30 mins, then turn hdr off, you will notice.

Or watch an episode or two of grand tour, you'll notice the effect more pronounced in some scenes than others

MazeHaze

Banned
Sadly that doesn't work for Netflix because it's not on a source
Why would you not be getting 4k?

Edit: as long as you have at least 25 mbps down, you should get 4k almost immediately. If it's less than that but at least 15, you will get 4k that bounces down to 1440p occasionally.

Sadly that doesn't work for Netflix because it's not on a source

Well shut, you are right, but I was using YouTube earlier and got that info banner to pop up and I thought that's how I did it, I'm sorry bout that. I'm currently playing with it because I know there is a way, I just need to remember how I did it.

styl3s

g1WRW6n.jpg

Take a microfiber cloth, and very gently press it against the screen where the dead pixel is. I had a couple originally, did this and they turned on instantly.
What's that light in the back? Does it change colors while watching movies and stuff? I saw someone talk about it on AVS forum and got me wanting one.

Top Bottom