• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, they can call it an end to 'generations' all they want, but 3rd party is going to treat consoles as if they're a part of generations so long as someone is still doing them. All generations do is define the technical baseline that games developed during an era have to adhere to. MS can say 'no more generations', but as long as 3rd party are still relying on X1 software sales to comprise the bulk of their Xbox platform sales, then all games will continue to be developed with the X1 as its baseline.

All MS means when they say its the end of generations is that your digital & physical library will be going with you, meaning they don't plan on launching hardware that cuts you off from a portion of your library. They can have that as well as a new console that is a 'part of the Xbox One family', which they've iterated time & time again.
No generations means no clear cut off, the drop of Xbox one doesn't have to be tied to a new console launch.

And since development will be decoupled from hardware that also means no need for cross gen or remasters, just like it's currently on Pc.

I feel like people have been saying this for years, " where are MS gonna get games from aside from their first party", and they continually fine somebody to make games

Aside from halo and forza in 2018, they'll probably have 3-4 more games from somewhere

Exactly and if people like CBOAT or nktrnl aren't posting, teasing or leaking anything anymore then where are the leaks going to come from as those two posters were responsible for about 80% of the rumours and leaks that have surrounded MS for the last few years. Rather than thinking they have no other games in development other than what has been announced I think they just have a tighter ship. Just tell Phil to be more careful with the E3 conference schedule this year lol.

W.S.

I feel like people have been saying this for years, " where are MS gonna get games from aside from their first party", and they continually fine somebody to make games

Aside from halo and forza in 2018, they'll probably have 3-4 more games from somewhere
Yeah they always find someone else.

Granted it's getting tougher to find out who exactly are making these other side games for them but they do eke them out.

We know the games coming in 2017 but what we don't know is what is coming in 2018 and beyond.

Are we to believe that MS have nothing else in the oven other than what has already been announced and more Halo, Gears and Forza? That doesn't sound very realistic. Just because we don't know what they are working on doesn't meant they aren't working on anything with new or returning partners.

Okay, so just goin by that notion, lets see what they could have in the pipe.

Its true we don't know who is doing the Phantom Dust Remaster. I also suspect that an internal team at 343 is working on a Halo 3 anniversary set to launch with Scorpio this year. But lets look at what we do know MS has and who they've worked with.

Remedy - Not working with MS any longer.

Insomniac - We know SSOD 2 is not in development, based on recent comments made.

Crytek - Very unlikely we see something from this partnership & Ryse going forward.

Certain Affinity - Halo Wars 2 launches in a few months. I imagine its continuation is dependent on its success.

Playground Games - we'll likely see the continuation of the Forza Horizon series, so Horizon 4 in 2018 is basically a lock.

Turn 10 - Theres no doubt Forza 7 is being announced this year.

Capcom Vancouver - just launched DR4, earliest we'd get a DR5 is in 2019.

Rare - All hands on deck on Sea of Thieves, 2017 in some form.

Reagent Games - Crackdown 3 this year. We'll see if this continues afterwards.

Moon - Follow-up to Ori to be announced at E3 this year, likely launches in the fall.

343 - Halo 3 anniversary is what I imagine gets announced at E3 for fall 2017, and Halo 6 gets announced for a holiday 2018 release.

The Coalition - Gears 4 just launched, I don't think we can expect something from them again until 2019 at the earliest, especially if Halo 6 launches in 2018.

Crystal Dynamics - Doubtful we get any sort of exclusivity partnership on another CD game. Most we'll see is a marketing deal.

Platinum Games - There isn't any metric that is indicating Scalebound is going to do well fiscally. This seems like another 'one & done' deal like Insomniac & Crytek before it.

Armature - Recore was a sales flop and didn't really review well. Could see a sequel in 2019, but doubtful.

Undead Labs - State of Decay 2 is set to get a blowout at E3 this year. I know the deal Undead & MS signed is for multiple projects, so I am confident we'll see more from Undead Labs for MS in the future.

I mean, this list isn't perfect, and I invite people to come in & fill in the blanks on things i've missed. For example, I know nothing of who is handling Phantom Dust Remaster. But yeah, the MS pipeline that has been primarily used to support their console platforms is pretty established & accounted for.
We have a good layout of 2017 because some titles were delayed from last year mixed in with the previous 2016 E3 announcements, doesn't mean they don't have anything new to show at E3 for the latter half of 2017 and beyond.

If they don't show anything new at all that's obviously going to be problematic but again to say there will be no surprises at all is a bit extreme to say.

I never said they don't have anything new to show, just that we can pretty much figure out what is coming & from where, barring 1 or 2 2018 surprises. For example, we'll get a Halo 6 announcement at E3 2017, that'll be a 2018 title. We'll get Forza 7 for 2017. We'll get dates on Crackdown 3 & Scalebound, and I personally feel only one of them will be launching in 2017, with the other title being a Q1 2018 title. I imagine we'll get some boxed product for the Halo 3 anniversary coming up in fall/holiday 2017. We'll get a full look on Phantom Dust Remaster, likely a 2017 product. State of Decay 2 will get a blowout, also another 2017, maybe even 2018 production, depending on how much bigger the scope is for that title. Moon is set to deliver us a follow-up of Ori, and I imagine MS is going to tout that thing as a much bigger deal seeing as how well the 1st was received, and I think it drops in late 2017, maybe mid- 2018.

Most of these titles that I am inferring are 2017 titles aren't even announced yet. The most we know is Crackdown 3, Scalebound, Phantom Dust Remaster, & State of Decay 2. But, just based on established patterns MS has set, we can infer pretty well just what is coming & when.

Lady Gaia

This thing needs to be playing all games at native 4k. As we have seen with Pro, a marginal upgrade barely makes a difference.

What we've seen more clearly is that risking an inconsistent frame rate to hit an arbitrary resolution goal isn't worth it. Even 1440p and 1800p titles have made real strides in reducing aliasing, though not everyone thinks the difference is worth the extra cost for a premium console.

Mrbob

I know they said that this wouldn't happen, but I'm hoping Scorpio gets at least 1 AAA exclusive that's built from the ground up with Scorpio's specs in mind. 6TF is just too much for simply upgrading Xbox One games, especially if there's a new CPU too. Would love to see a Banjo game running on this hardware.
I think we will end up in a situation where most games are designed for Scorpio and the xb1 versions will have performance issues. If PS4 owners are seeing difference between it and ps4 pro look at the gulf between xb1 and Scorpio.

Synth

You do realise that on the one hand you're making the argument that MS' collaboration are "one and done", and then on the other you're using prior collaborations for prospective partnerships, right? Like.. aren't the two ideas fundamentally opposed?

Its true we don't know who is doing the Phantom Dust Remaster. I also suspect that an internal team at 343 is working on a Halo 3 anniversary set to launch with Scorpio this year. But lets look at what we do know MS has and who they've worked with.

Insomniac - We know SSOD 2 is not in development, based on recent comments made.

Crytek - Very unlikely we see something from this partnership & Ryse going forward.

Certain Affinity - Halo Wars 2 launches in a few months. I imagine its continuation is dependent on its success.

Playground Games - we'll likely see the continuation of the Forza Horizon series, so Horizon 4 in 2018 is basically a lock.

Moon - Follow-up to Ori to be announced at E3 this year, likely launches in the fall.

343 - Halo 3 anniversary is what I imagine gets announced at E3 for fall 2017, and Halo 6 gets announced for a holiday 2018 release.

The Coalition - Gears 4 just launched, I don't think we can expect something from them again until 2019 at the earliest, especially if Halo 6 launches in 2018.

Crystal Dynamics - Doubtful we get any sort of exclusivity partnership on another CD game. Most we'll see is a marketing deal.

Platinum Games - There isn't any metric that is indicating Scalebound is going to do well fiscally. This seems like another 'one & done' deal like Insomniac & Crytek before it.

Armature - Recore was a sales flop and didn't really review well. Could see a sequel in 2019, but doubtful.

Undead Labs - State of Decay 2 is set to get a blowout at E3 this year. I know the deal Undead & MS signed is for multiple projects, so I am confident we'll see more from Undead Labs for MS in the future.

I mean, this list isn't perfect, and I invite people to come in & fill in the blanks on things i've missed. For example, I know nothing of who is handling Phantom Dust Remaster. But yeah, the MS pipeline that has been primarily used to support their console platforms is pretty established & accounted for.

You have listed all the known quantities when it comes to the games MS have published over the last few years, that doesn't mean they don't have new partnerships with new developers though. That's just something where we need to wait and see how it pans out: Platinum, Reagent, Creative Assembly, Insomniac, Crytek, Moon etc all kinda came out of nowhere. What you seem to be saying is that they can't do that again?

Isn't Rare a pretty big studio? I thought I've read from this site that they are working on 2 projects or could because of their size and that they were hiring? I could be wrong.

Rains

finally switch over to pc i like too choose my settings makes a massive difference to me i would consider the new xbox if it allows me to choose frame rate dont want to be locked at 4k/30 would be happy with 2k

Chobel

Playground Games is also developing a new IP, I think it's safe to assume it will be MS exclusive, likely 2018.

You do realise that on the one hand you're making the argument that MS' collaboration are "one and done", and then on the other you're using prior collaborations for prospective partnerships, right? Like.. aren't the two ideas fundamentally opposed?

To be fair the post Sneakers quoted said "returning partners", but they didn't address the "new" part though.

That list is more of an audit of the known MS software pipeline. If we're just looking at 3rd party devs, we get:

Crytek, Insomniac, Remedy, Armature, Certain Affinity, Reagent Games, Platinum, Crystal Dynamics, Iron Galaxy, Playground Games.

3 of these have only had 1 project this generation and no follow-up is planned with any of them as of right now. Armature is the only one that has released a project and there is no evidence to suggest they might get a crack at a sequel other than people saying it should. CA, Reagent, Platinum are all wait & see, probably dependent on how well they do.

Iron Galaxy will likely have ongoing support for KI3, seeing as how supporting it is a relatively cheap endeavor and serves to act as a cross-promotional front for MS IP going forward. Playground Games has found success with the Forza Horizon franchise, and MS has settled the developer in sharing an annual release schedule with Turn 10, and I imagine MS will continue this cycle for the foreseeable future or until Forza is no longer profitable. Crystal Dynamics could have another 3rd party exclusive deal signed with MS & SE, but it would have to be on a new IP. But that is all speculation atm.

W.S.

Playground games are expanding to a second AAA team, they're going to develop a game that's completely different from the Horizon series.

Rare (possibly) working on two extra IP's. They've also worked with Splash Damage on the Gears games and they're hiring for unannounced projects. Not saying that's necessarily an XB exclusive but it's possible.

You have listed all the known quantities when it comes to the games MS have published over the last few years, that doesn't mean they don't have new partnerships with new developers though. That's just something where we need to wait and see how it pans out: Platinum, Reagent, Creative Assembly, Insomniac, Crytek, Moon etc all kinda came out of nowhere. What you seem to be saying is that they can't do that again?

Moon was acquired by MS before Ori launched, so we knew something was coming from them for Xbox, even though we didn't know what exactly it'd be. Several of these other 3rd party deals (Crytek, CA, Platinum, Insomniac) and their respective games (Ryse, halo wars 2, Scalebound, SSOD) were all leaked or known about, some of these by months, others by years, prior to their announcement.

I'm not saying that MS can't fund a bunch of projects from some 3rd party developers again, just saying that they have been seen to be ramping down development & parts of their pipeline, not ramping it up, so i'm not quite sure whether they want to start new relationships versus just maintaining the ones they already have.

Now, I do imagine we'll see something from another major 3rd party. For example, I think Splash Damage definitely has something else in the works with MS - you can tell as much just going by their hiring page. We haven't heard anything from The Workshop down in LA for a few years now, they're another prime 3rd party developer for an MS deal.
Playground games are expanding to a second AAA team, they're going to develop a game that's completely different from the Horizon series.

Rare (possibly) working on two extra IP's. They've also worked with Splash Damage on the Gears games and they're hiring for unannounced projects. Not saying that's necessarily an XB exclusive but it's possible.

I know Rare is all hands on deck for SoT, so any other IP they may have is years & YEARS away from ever seeing the light of day. Those projects are stuck in pre-production for the foreseeable future. I did make mention that Splash Damage is most likely going to have another MS game in the pipe. Whether its Gears related or not is another thing entirely.

As for Playground, i'm excited for that, but since they're independent developers, who knows what that game will be & who will act as publisher for it. Still, could be a big get for MS if they find it interesting enough.

W.S.

Moon was acquired by MS before Ori launched, so we knew something was coming from them for Xbox, even though we didn't know what exactly it'd be. Several of these other 3rd party deals (Crytek, CA, Platinum, Insomniac) and their respective games (Ryse, halo wars 2, Scalebound, SSOD) were all leaked or known about, some of these by months, others by years, prior to their announcement.

I'm not saying that MS can't fund a bunch of projects from some 3rd party developers again, just saying that they have been seen to be ramping down development & parts of their pipeline, not ramping it up, so i'm not quite sure whether they want to start new relationships versus just maintaining the ones they already have.

Now, I do imagine we'll see something from another major 3rd party. For example, I think Splash Damage definitely has something else in the works with MS - you can tell as much just going by their hiring page. We haven't heard anything from The Workshop down in LA for a few years now, they're another prime 3rd party developer for an MS deal.

I know Rare is all hands on deck for SoT, so any other IP they may have is years & YEARS away from ever seeing the light of day. Those projects are stuck in pre-production for the foreseeable future. I did make mention that Splash Damage is most likely going to have another MS game in the pipe. Whether its Gears related or not is another thing entirely.

As for Playground, i'm excited for that, but since they're independent developers, who knows what that game will be & who will act as publisher for it. Still, could be a big get for MS if they find it interesting enough.
Moon is actually an independent studio, MS only owns the Ori IP.

Rare's all hands on deck on SoT but they do have an incubation team that works on other things as seen with Rare Replay so I'm sure there are other projects waiting to be announced even if they aren't released in 2017. Playground's project is certainly possible to be a multi-platform title but honestly MS would be stupid to let that happen given their already established relationship. Hell I'm still jealous of all the exclusive Housemarque games Sony's been getting from them and they're independently owned.

Microsoft bought Moon or you mean they bought the Ori IP? Its also true that MS had many games leaked beforehand, many of them on this very site (longtime lurker) but the people that leaked a lot of those games don't seem to be in the position to do so or they have decided to stop from what I can see. That will affect the leaks and therefore negate what we know MS are working on.

I'm not saying for one second that they have 8, 9 or 10 new games in the pipeline from third party developers but I would imagine they would need to have at least three or four that are scheduled for 2018/2019, maybe even a couple more?

We seem to have a few people that have an inside track of what is going on at Sony on this board and can tease or hint at what they are doing but not really anyone that can give a bit of insight into what Microsoft have planned anymore.

I've never even heard of The Workshop, so I'm away to Google them just now :)

Edit - shit, I did not know that The Workshop is Peter Akemann's studio! The things you learn. After looking around on their site I would love to see anyone give them a bit of cash to make a game.

Moon is actually an independent studio, MS only owns the Ori IP.

Rare's all hands on deck on SoT but they do have an incubation team that works on other things as seen with Rare Replay so I'm sure there are other projects waiting to be announced even if they aren't released in 2017. Playground's project is certainly possible to be a multi-platform title but honestly MS would be stupid to let that happen given their already established relationship. Hell I'm still jealous of all the exclusive Housemarque games Sony's been getting from them and they're independently owned.

Look, after Insomniac & Sony, and now more recently the Until Dawn devs & Sony, or Remedy & MS, you shouldn't really assume a 3rd party partnership is going to continue going forward. I'll give Playground & MS the benefit of the doubt on that new IP, but it could very well be a deal with Bethesda or 2K for all we know.

As for Rare, remastering a bunch of old titles and getting principle production done on a new IP is two completely different endeavors. Not only that, I know for a fact that the only thing actively being worked on at Rare right now is SoT. I think we'll only hear about any other Rare projects IF Sea of Thieves flops.

lostcauz

I love that playground have found success and will be a two team studio but it's slightly infuriating that 343 or Turn 10 haven't got a second team working on something completely different.

W.S.

Look, after Insomniac & Sony, and now more recently the Until Dawn devs & Sony, you shouldn't really assume a 3rd party partnership is going to continue going forward. I'll give Playground & MS the benefit of the doubt on that new IP, but it could very well be a deal with Bethesda or 2K for all we know.

As for Rare, remastering a bunch of old titles and getting principle production done on a new IP is two completely different endeavors. Not only that, I know for a fact that the only thing actively being worked on at Rare right now is SoT. I think we'll only hear about any other Rare projects IF Sea of Thieves flops.

I was pointing out that the new Playground title being a partnership with MS could be a possibility, I'm not just assuming it will be. My personal opinion was that it would be dumb of MS not to have that project in their hands given that their relationship with MS is actually pretty successful as opposed to the other ones which leave a lot in the air.

Regardless of whether Rare Replay was a remaster it's not something that just comes without devoting a team towards it alongside Sea of Thieves. You were asking what other possibilities/studios there could be for newer games and I drew those few on the fly, doesn't mean they'd all be true but the point was to show other possible sources.

RoKKeR

Wait, Playground is developing a new IP??

Shieeeeet. That's the best MS first (second) party news we've heard in a while!

Edit: I understand it could be multiplatform but STILL! They are some of the most talented devs out there, can't wait to see what they do.

Hawk269

Wait, Playground is developing a new IP??

Shieeeeet. That's the best MS first (second) party news we've heard in a while!

Edit: I understand it could be multiplatform but STILL! They are some of the most talented devs out there, can't wait to see what they do.

Yeah, this is the first time I am hearing that PG is working on something else as well. I wonder if it will be something outside of a racing game? My dream is that MS gave them the Project Gotham series and they will become a 2 game racing studio. Let MS have Forza Motorsport, Horizon and PGR be on a 3 year cycle, where every year we get a new racing game, giving them 3 year dev cycles. Dreaming...but some dreams do come true.

Kareha

finally switch over to pc i like too choose my settings makes a massive difference to me i would consider the new xbox if it allows me to choose frame rate dont want to be locked at 4k/30 would be happy with 2k

I assume MS will continue with the whole Xbox games coming out for Windows 10 for Scorpio, so no need to buy a new Xbox. You could use the money on a new GPU when Scorpio is released maybe?

Hawk269

I hope more devs add options like Rise of the Tomb Raider has one PS4 Pro.

Most definitely. The one thing I am disappointed with on the PRO is that not too many games have good options or really use the PRO in a significant way. I hope MS does this part a bit better. I suggested it in a post earlier, but I think MS really should go after Devs and if needed help fund Scorpio Patches for many of the older games to take a lot more advantage of the upgraded hardware.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Most definitely. The one thing I am disappointed with on the PRO is that not too many games have good options or really use the PRO in a significant way. I hope MS does this part a bit better. I suggested it in a post earlier, but I think MS really should go after Devs and if needed help fund Scorpio Patches for many of the older games to take a lot more advantage of the upgraded hardware.
I'm still bummed they haven't announced anything of the sort in 2016. I think the best way to break the silence on Scorpio is to say they are working with as many developers as possible, sending engineers left and right, to help update as many games as possible to at least a 1080p resolution.

W.S.

I assume MS will continue with the whole Xbox games coming out for Windows 10 for Scorpio, so no need to buy a new Xbox. You could use the money on a new GPU when Scorpio is released maybe?

Windows 10 games on the PC are kind of a gamble though since you never know what problems or quirks they're going to have, I'd rather just stick to the consoles since their games usually work fine there.

Hawk269

I'm still bummed they haven't announced anything of the sort in 2016. I think the best way to break the silence on Scorpio is to say they are working with as many developers as possible, sending engineers left and right, to help update as many games as possible to at least a 1080p resolution.

At this point, I would settle for a Phil tweet that they are still on track and things are looking great so far...perhaps a little mention of "several devs on board" or something like that.

I do think they need to keep it top of mind and not have long stretches of no information. Perhaps controlled release of information throughout the year just to keep fans updated on stuff.

W.S.

At this point, I would settle for a Phil tweet that they are still on track and things are looking great so far...perhaps a little mention of "several devs on board" or something like that.

I do think they need to keep it top of mind and not have long stretches of no information. Perhaps controlled release of information throughout the year just to keep fans updated on stuff.

Yeah I hate it when there's no information out there at all outside of what we already know on top of having some dry months.

Given that they don't have a secondary PSX style event I feel like they should be planning something soon and giving more updates. I'm already restless as it is lol.

Yeah I hate it when there's no information out there at all outside of what we already know on top of having some dry months.

Given that they don't have a secondary PSX style event I feel like they should be planning something soon and giving more updates. I'm already restless as it is lol.

I fully expect a dedicated event before e3 to show the system off and leave e3 for software.

Hawk269

I fully expect a dedicated event before e3 to show the system off and leave e3 for software.

I also expect that as well, I am just hoping that they trickle out little information here and there and not have long periods of time with nothing. Even a little tease like a pic of the first console coming off the assembly line and shit like that.

RoKKeR

Yeah, this is the first time I am hearing that PG is working on something else as well. I wonder if it will be something outside of a racing game? My dream is that MS gave them the Project Gotham series and they will become a 2 game racing studio. Let MS have Forza Motorsport, Horizon and PGR be on a 3 year cycle, where every year we get a new racing game, giving them 3 year dev cycles. Dreaming...but some dreams do come true.

On their website they say it's going to be different/new, so I doubt it will be racing related. MS doesn't need anymore racing firepower in their stable.

lostcauz

This year, we will begin building a second AAA team at our headquarters in Leamington Spa, to work on an exciting new project in an entirely new genre.

I'm excited and intrigued to see what'll be.

I also expect that as well, I am just hoping that they trickle out little information here and there and not have long periods of time with nothing. Even a little tease like a pic of the first console coming off the assembly line and shit like that.
I suspect that Microsoft wants to talk as little as possible about Scorpio because the more they do, the greater the potential to hurt XB1 S sales. The better Microsoft makes Scorpio look, the worse the XB1 S looks in comparison. They've only said as much as they have about Scorpio because they were forced to. They didn't want the PS4 Pro to be out there completely uncontested.

statham

I suspect that Microsoft wants to talk as little as possible about Scorpio because the more they do, the greater the potential to hurt XB1 S sales. The better Microsoft makes Scorpio look, the worse the XB1 S looks in comparison. They've only said as much as they have about Scorpio because they were forced to. They didn't want the PS4 Pro to be out there completely uncontested.

They said Scorpio was a monster, gave basic specs and a month later XB: S has amazing sales. beats Sony for 3 months in NPD and comes 100k close w/ the release of Pro. The fact the S model can even compete is pretty much amazing. Remember when websites called the 'S' a fumble because peeps would just wait for Scorpio. That didn't happen.

They also dont really want to let Sony in on their plans so early. MS and Sony are already planning for what comes next holiday. A bigger reveal in the spring will be a good time.

E3 2017 will be interesting. I know what they will bring for the most part (Halo 6, Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3) but I wonder what those other unannounced third party partnerships look like. I want to see what type of games they are making too. I hope it is more stuff akin to Scalebound that is completely outside of MS' norm.

This was said last year by Shannon so obviously they have more third party games in store.

Xbox Head of First Party Publishing, Shannon Loftis, spoke with Geoff Keighley recently on the E3 2016 YouTube stream. She told Keighley that there are quite a few exclusive games that have yet to be announced as more are in development.

She said: “I head first party game publishing for Xbox One or Windows 10 or any of our platforms. ‘We right now have, i think, 14 games in development. We talked about four of those this morning – Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore. We also have Crackdown 3, which we announced has now been moved into 2017, and there are a few other ones that aren’t quite ready to be talked about yet.”

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/

Looking forward to it.

Astral Dog

I know they said that this wouldn't happen, but I'm hoping Scorpio gets at least 1 AAA exclusive that's built from the ground up with Scorpio's specs in mind. 6TF is just too much for simply upgrading Xbox One games, especially if there's a new CPU too. Would love to see a Banjo game running on this hardware.
Keep dreaming dude 😂

:'( though at least you are gonna get something even better
images

keidashxd

Looking at the list of developers I miss the studio behind Splosion Man, is it still alive? theis last game was an Xbox One launch game... LocoCycle.

PD: The studio is called Twisted Pixel.

Also the developers behind Crimson Dragon (Grounding) could be doing the phantom dust remaster... (but in their website they don't update since 2013).

I've been looking Twisted Pixel and they're developing a VR title called Wilson's Heart (who won an award at Gamescom as best VR game).

MS needs to surprise a little more, you always know what they're gonna show, and when they try to surprise the leaks blow any surprise.

RoKKeR

E3 2017 will be interesting. I know what they will bring for the most part (Halo 6, Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3) but I wonder what those other unannounced third party partnerships look like. I want to see what type of games they are making too. I hope it is more stuff akin to Scalebound that is completely outside of MS' norm.

This was said last year by Shannon so obviously they have more third party games in store.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/

Looking forward to it.
Yeah, I am expecting (read - hoping) a few decently sized announcements as far as MS published games are concerned. We didn't get a lot of announcements this year, and I kind of feel like 2016 was certainly a transition year for the console and brand. They cut all ties with the OG box and shifted their sights towards 2017, so it would make sense that they would have some announcements lined up.

At least that's what I'm hoping for!

They said Scorpio was a monster, gave basic specs and a month later XB: S has amazing sales. beats Sony for 3 months in NPD and comes 100k close w/ the release of Pro. The fact the S model can even compete is pretty much amazing. Remember when websites called the 'S' a fumble because peeps would just wait for Scorpio. That didn't happen.
That also goes with the theory that the promotion of the PS4 Pro before its release suppressed based PS4 sales. Also Microsoft has typically had a surge in sales because they heavily discounted or bundled the Xbox. Straight up head-to-head the Xbox has not done so well.

Given this trend, it's safe to expect that if Microsoft promoted Scorpio early, it would depress XB1 sales and force them to cut its price. That's a very counter productive strategy.

blakep267

That also goes with the theory that the promotion of the PS4 Pro before its release suppressed based PS4 sales. Also Microsoft has typically had a surge in sales because they heavily discounted or bundled the Xbox. Straight up head-to-head the Xbox has not done so well.

Given this trend, it's safe to expect that if Microsoft promoted Scorpio early, it would depress XB1 sales and force them to cut its price. That's a very counter productive strategy.

but the Pro seemingly didn't have an effect tt on the slim and the lower price won out in the end. Also Im pretty sure it was said that the majority of those sales were from the S, and that the cheaper OG xbox wasn't really doing anything, hence why it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper

but the Pro seemingly didn't have an effect tt on the slim and the lower price won out in the end. Also Im pretty sure it was said that the majority of those sales were from the S, and that the cheaper OG xbox wasn't really doing anything, hence why it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper

Of course the lower price PS4 Slim outsold the Pro. The Pro was never going to outsell it just like Scorpio isn't going to outsell the XB1 S. The Pro did however steal/delay sales from the base PS4 which is exactly what I'm saying would happen to the XB1 S if the Scorpio is promoted early.

The irony here is that I don't think Scorpio and the XB1 S will be even close to direct competitors due to the price difference. However, Microsoft isn't going to reveal the price of Scorpio until close to its launch because it's going to be more than people expect. It's that ambiguity that would hurt the XB1 S sales.

Those OG xboxes did end up selling. We are not talking about Xbox revenue. What does the price the OG Xboxes sold at matter in this discussion about sales numbers? Also the discounts and deals for the XB1 S are just as relevant.

RowdyReverb

I really hope that Scorpio offers more consistent improvements for 1080p TV owners than the Pro does. I think that Sony has a vested interest in pushing customers to upgrade to a 4K set, so they have every reason to push focus away from enhancing games for 1080p set owners. Maybe since MS doesn't sell TVs, they'll be more accommodating in this regard

icespide

Banned
I really hope that Scorpio offers more for 1080p TV owners than the Pro does. I think that Sony has a vested interest in pushing customers to upgrade to a 4K set, so they have every reason to push focus away from enhancing games for 1080p set owners. Maybe since MS doesn't sell TVs, they'll be more accommodating in this regard
except it's 100% up to the developers on both Pro and Scorpio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom