• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much this; as a developer/publisher dealing with a lot of user behavior data, I'd say the "common knowledge" of the minority audience is a very biased point of view that ultimately is also wrong most of the time. These hypothesis of how consumer behaviour works is usually driven by how people want it to be, rather than how consumer psychology actually works most of the time.

This console generation (and past years in games industry) has been very much about consolidation and I feel that diversity and niche titles have very little room or meaning for the companies. For the most part (I'm not counting Bloodborne, as it's been built on strong IP and references, and manages to almost stand among the AAA games in production value as well) these have not only underperformed, but they lack the scale needed to support the GaaS direction and focus in the industry. Brand power doesn't scale linearily, so with the ever-growing chasm between the smaller titles and 80 mil+ titles it's not really reasonable to expect that small niche titles have any noticeable effect.

I don't think niche titles matter to big companies .
To platform holder that is whole other ball game.
Even more so when your talking about a WW company like Sony .

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You keep reflexively comparing Bloodborne's sales to other random games (Titanfall, really?), which blows past the entire point.

Bloodborne isn't a behemoth on its own, it's one of those very alluring, very well-liked games that brings some vocal people in relatively early. In bringing it up I was in no way trying to compare it to fucking Titanfall; I'm comparing it to stuff like KOTOR from the past on Microsoft's side.

Like, I remember being in high school and KOTOR was a big deal for a lot of people. It made the Xbox seem like a bigger deal, it appealed even to the guys who wrote Halo off as a game for meathead shooter fans, all while KOTOR wasn't anywhere close to Halo-level success. That's what Bloodborne is relative to something like Uncharted.
Random games? Popular exclusives and the fact Bloodborne doesn't hold up is entirely the point and why your arguement falls apart. If Titanfall didn't move the needle why on earth and you even thinking Bloodborne would? Keep in mind it sold that amount on a more popular console and Titanfall on a less.

Random games? Popular exclusive am the fact Bloodborne doesn't hold up is extremely the point and why your arguement falls apart. If Titanfall didn't move the needle why on earth and you even thinking Bloodborne would?

Quite an assumption, the hype for TF was immense who knows how x1 would have did without it? It did very well it's launch month considering x1 was 499 at the time. Good chance it did move the needle quite a bit.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Quite an assumption, the hype for TF was immense who knows how x1 would have did without it? It did very well it's launch month considering x1 was 499 at the time.
Even the Titanfall Beta moved the needle quite a bit.

It wasn't a reversal of fortune that undid everything, but I think a bit perspective is needed when saying that it didn't even move the needle.

Bloodborne? Really? Bloodborne is niche as fuck in the grand scheme of things. A number of wii u first parties have outsold that game and likely MS as well.

It may not be Japanese otaku game level of niche but we're talking marginal success at best, nothing that remotely moved the needle.

Today I learned: a game that sells 2 million copies is considered "niche as fuck".

"Hyperbole is the mind killer" indeed.

ElFly

All signs to sony doing the same ala pro.....you are making a lot of assumptions here. Sony is also looking to do away with gens and everything being forward and backward compatible. Sony is also playing a long game here,

I dunno. Pro seems limited on the RAM / CPU area, so a successor that's FC/BC with it will be limited by it too. of course we don't know the scorpio specs but a lot of rumors said 12gb opposed to the 8gb on the current consoles so. assuming that I believe a continuous generation on the Xbox side looks way more factible and reasonable

could be wrong

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Quite an assumption, the hype for TF was immense who knows how x1 would have did without it? It did very well it's launch month considering x1 was 499 at the time. Good chance it did move the needle quite a bit.
Not to the degree that it stopped PS4 doubling XB1's sales. Which is the needle movement MS cares about for as much as it did. It did not change MS fortunes world wide or substantially close the gap. Yet we have people making the completely illogical assumption BB would

Reckheim

Today I learned: a game that sells 2 million copies is considered "niche as fuck".

"Hyperbole is the mind killer" indeed.

2 million copies for a game in a series that usually doesn't sell that much (and on a single platform).

Sony probably didn't even expect those type of numbers.

Random games? Popular exclusives and the fact Bloodborne doesn't hold up is entirely the point and why your arguement falls apart. If Titanfall didn't move the needle why on earth and you even thinking Bloodborne would? Keep in mind it sold that amount on a more popular console and Titanfall on a less.

You really think TF1 did not move the needle.
It had one of the biggest opening months in sales .
There is a very good chance it sold a lot of consoles to people .

Oersted

That "niche as fuck" game helped move a fuck ton of consoles.

Comparing a new IP to established Nintendo franchises is a bit flawed, of course Mario Kart U & Smash Bros U will sell better.

Outside of Splatoon, did any new Nintendo IPs sell 2 million+?

Edit - top of the page, damnit.
50ppp
Here's a little happiness for this gloomy thread.

Nintendo doesn't need that much new IPs. They have Animal Crossing, Pokemon, 3D Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Zelda and Smash Bros.

All vastly different, successful IPs that move consoles.

Microsoft doesn't have that. Their biggest IPs on their console are Gears, Halo and Forza. Two shooters and a racer. They need more stuff like Dead Rising.

I dunno. Pro seems limited on the RAM / CPU area, so a successor that's FC/BC with it will be limited by it too. of course we don't know the scorpio specs but a lot of rumors said 12gb opposed to the 8gb on the current consoles so. assuming that I believe a continuous generation on the Xbox side looks way more factible and reasonable

Huh? Sony can easily increase ram in their next console and keep FC/BC, MS is not a special flower, sony is a hardware company and I believe have stated they are also moving to a FC/BC future. There is nothing stopping sony from also doing this, ms has the same hurdles. How is it more "Feasible" for MS?

_machine

I don't think niche titles matter to big companies .
To platform holder that is whole other ball game.
Even more so when your talking about a WW company like Sony .
Maybe there used to be value, but in today's consolidated market and bigger gap between the small scale and mainstream, it's very hard to see the relevance of niche titles in platform holder portfolio. Now, I admit that I could be wrong, but I've also worked in the industry enough to have most of my illusions of what I would like the industry be and work like destroyed.

At this point exclusives won't substantially move consoles, unless their really, really substantial but I but say they have no effect overall. You can see this with the PS4. The good will from PS3 and all those smaller riskier games and big pays likely played a role when people jump to the next transition where their friends haven't picked a console already and brand loyalty is much more up in the air. I think Ucharted's substantial growth is at a least partially due to that. Lots of Xbox gamers knew what Uncharted was a franchise even if they never played any of the previous games, so when they finally owned said console they bought it.

X1 exclusives (halo) is the only reason I brought the system. Since I've already got the system, I've subbed to ea access, brought old BC games and more. Without that single exclusive, I wouldn't have wasted my time. Not sure why folks are so quick to downplay the power of an exclusive experience.

It could be, but at least at the beginning of this gen (Ms fucking up the Xbone aside) there were reasons to believe they would bring new heavy-hitters Ips aboard:
Sunset Overdrive
Ori
Quantum Break
Scalebound
ReCore
Cuphead
Ryse
Titanfall and Dead Rising 3(3rd party exclusive, that is)

They've either had a lacklaster reception or haven't sold well enough, so Ms has just ditched them... And went back to Halo/Forza/Gears.

Freaking shame.

pretty sure you can now cross Gears off that list...

All signs to sony doing the same ala pro.....you are making a lot of assumptions here. Sony is also looking to do away with gens and everything being forward and backward compatible. Sony is also playing a long game here,
Have they said this? I don't remember them saying this at all. PS4 pro is in the PS4 family it seems. Xbox one and Xbox Scorpio are going under a Xbox umbrella similar to iOS devices.

Do you have any quotes on this? I am almost sure Sony said they weren't doing this unless I'm mistaken. Even Cerny criticized forwards compatibility because of changing architectures.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

I think without TF Xbox One would be a hell of a lot worse off than it is now.

Maybe there used to be value, but in today's consolidated market and bigger gap between the small scale and mainstream, it's very hard to see the relevance of niche titles in platform holder portfolio. Now, I admit that I could be wrong, but I've also worked in the industry enough to have most of my illusions of what I would like the industry be and work like destroyed.

First i would have to understand what you call niche .

I'm sad about the cancelation.
Even if the demos / presentations weren't that exciting, i still believed in the game and was hyped for it.
I mean, it was a damn Hideki Kamiya game. His dream game even (it was, wasn't it?).

icespide

Banned
Have they said this? I don't remember them saying this at all. PS4 pro is in the PS4 family it seems. Xbox one and Xbox Scorpio are going under a Xbox umbrella similar to iOS devices.

Do you have any quotes on this? I am almost sure Sony said they weren't doing this unless I'm mistaken. Even Cerny criticized forwards compatibility because of changing architectures.

Sony has made comments suggesting that they still like the idea of traditional generations. Some have taken this to mean there won't be BC going forward, but that's jumping to conclusions IMO.

the fact is we have no idea if Sony wants to do an explicit cut off/reset with next gen. nothing Sony has said rules out the same approach that Microsoft has described

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You're just blowing past all the KOTOR stuff I keep repeating.

Bloodborne and games like it support Uncharted and games like that. Titanfall... Titanfall was decent but not the huge sea change it needed to be. A third party game -- one more heavily associated with Sony, intentionally, mind you -- in Destiny ended up being more the big new revolution in the shooter space instead of remixing the CoD concept like Respawn attempted.
Kotor didn't help the original XB outsell the PS2. The fact your mentioning it at all in this arguement makes very little sense. Ucharted would have sold well without BB. There's a very good reason why it substantially outsold every other Sony exclusive. The tie to PS
Similarly, if Halo never happened and their big shooter was always just Brute Force, KOTOR on Xbox wouldn't have mattered much either. KOTOR as some extra bait along with the Halo juggernaut? That made the Xbox worth talking about, not just Halo.
Kotor didn't help XB outsell the PS2 it doesn't even help your arguement ot being anything new which is why I didn't bother with it. UC4 would have sold just fine without Bloodborne it is current PS closely linked flagship franchise by it's flagship studio. It's Sony'a Mario/kart or derivative with Last of US being another. You have not even remotely explained how BB would magically change XB1 fortunes when games that sold better and had greater impact did not.

Sony has made comments suggesting that they still like the idea of traditional generations. Some have taken this to mean there won't be BC going forward, but that's jumping to conclusions IMO.

the fact is we have no idea if Sony wants to do an explicit cut off/reset with next gen. nothing Sony has said rules out the same approach that Microsoft has described

I mean i really don't understand why people would think that .
Even if Sony sticks to normal gens i think BC is a given .
3 of there systems had BC in them .

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Kotor didn't help XB outsell the PS2 it doesn't even help your arguement ot being anything new which is why I didn't bother with it. UC4 would have sold just fine without Bloodborne it is current PS closely linked flagship franchise by it's flagship studio. It's Sony'a Mario/kart or derivative with Last of US being another. You have not even remotely explained how BB would magically change XB1 fortunes when games that sold better and had greater impact did not.
What is the overall point you want to get across here?

Nothing would've changed the fortune of the Xbone because they fucked it up by neglecting the enthusiast audience in the twilight years of the 360 and then colossally fucking up the unveil and basic design of what a games console should've been?

You seem to want some silver bullet that can easily be slotted in to make all missteps go away.

Oersted

Fire Emblem was niche before it had a turnaround on 3DS and started selling consoles. Animal Crossing was never as big as on 3DS. Splatoon was a niche game on a niche console. Bloodborne sold better than anything on Xbox One sans Halo 5.

There is a value to niche games.

Wollan

The PS5 is guaranteed BC with PS4 but Mark Cerny put it crystal clear just before the holidays that traditional console generation shifts is a Good thing and healthy for the industry.

I'm expecting a generational leap in 2019 but with two or more console increments within that gen stretching it to 9 year+ (Zen cpu's has caught up with desktop PC's and it has been stagnant since 2011).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
X1 exclusives (halo) is the only reason I brought the system. Since I've already got the system, I've subbed to ea access, brought old BC games and more. Without that single exclusive, I wouldn't have wasted my time. Not sure why folks are so quick to downplay the power of an exclusive experience.
Largely because exclusives themselves barely sell this gen outside of a few notable exceptions it's why things like exclusive Destiny DLC, and COD partnerships mattered so much early on. 3rd parties multiplatform games have largely supplanted them. It's more about the best play to play those these days (now it's mostly inertia though).

icespide

Banned
I mean i really don't understand why people would think that .
Even if Sony sticks to normal gens i think BC is a given .
3 of there systems had BC in them

I can't blame people for being wary really, especially with how Sony has handled PS2 classics on PS4, and the lack of PS1 stuff on PS4.

I just don't think Sony is stupid enough to render everyone's digital library useless for yet another generation

where I could see Sony and Microsoft's strategy diverging is in forward compatibility. I don't think PS5 games will work on PS4 but I think games for Scorpio 2 will work on Scorpio

The PS5 is highly likely BC with PS4 but Mark Cerny put it crystal clear just before the holidays that traditional console generation Shifts is a Good thing and healthy for the industry.

I'm expecting a generational leap in 2019 but with two or more console increments within that gen stretching it to 9 year+ (Zen cpu's has caught up with desktop PC's and it has been stagnant since 2011).

Yeah but Gens don't mean no BC...pretty sure that's the goal moving forward. With the big digital audience it is clear that's the way everything is going.

My issue is when they announced the Pro Cerny was very specific when discussing how they created the hardware to be exactly like the regular PS4 otherwise games would break. This has something to do with the development tools targeting the hardware directly I assume.

Maybe somebody with more technical expertise can explain how BC would work on PS5.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fire Emblem was niche before it had a turnaround on 3DS and started selling consoles. Animal Crossing was never as big as on 3DS. Splatoon was a niche game on a niche console. Bloodborne sold better than anything on Xbox One sans Halo 5.

There is a value to niche games.
Splatoon was never niche by any definition of the word. It was new but that's about all you can say.

Now what Microsoft needs is some momentum, some goodwill.

Where is that coming from? From budget cuts?

I agree. I don't know where it will come from, maybe Scorpio if it's sold at a decent price. But sure as hell not from their 2017 line up unless they secretly money-hatted a Rockstar Game.

I mean, GAF is GAF and our perception is certainly not representative, but man, that Most anticipated games of 2017 result is a real eye-opener. When your best exclusive title failes to enter the top 25 of such a list (and turns out to be an indie game, so not even one from your own studios) something is definitly not going according to keikaku.

ch4fx_

Nintendo doesn't need that much new IPs. They have Animal Crossing, Pokemon, 3D Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Zelda and Smash Bros.

I agree, 100%. However, I still believe it to be unfair to compare sales figures of a brand new "niche" IP to well established Nintendo franchises that have been around since the 80s/90s.

UCBooties

Anecdote Warning:

I have an XBox One, but this has pretty much killed the chances of me upgrading to a Scorpio. Not in the sense of this one game, but as part of a pattern where Microsoft has failed to deliver games that fall outside of their main tent-pole franchises.

I have no reason to believe that there is going to be anything coming to the Scorpio exclusively that I want to play. As for cross platform being better than PS4 versions, so what? If I get to the point where I'm bothered by the performance gap, I'd be better off building a decent PC. The only thing that would induce me to buy a Scorpio would be if there were games that I want to play on it that are only available for it. If Microsoft is going to axe every remotely interesting title after protracted and frankly embarrassing development processes and leave nothing on their release calendar but a racing game and a pair of dude-bro shooters, what possible reason would I have to buy the system?

At this point Microsoft has established a pattern of behavior that undermines any promise they might make about diversifying their library. You can argue about the effect of niche games on sales, but if entire genres are going unrepresented on a console, it shouldn't be surprising if fans of those genres don't feel the need to bite.

icespide

Banned
My issue is when they announced the Pro Cerny was very specific when discussing how they created the hardware to be exactly like the regular PS4 otherwise games would break. This has something to do with the development tools targeting the hardware directly I assume.

Maybe somebody with more technical expertise can explain how BC would work on PS5.

the fact that all non patched PS4 games work with no issues on the Pro should help reduce your fear for BC in the future IMO. I think you're thinking about it the wrong way. a hypothetical PS5 scenario would be very similar, it will play PS4 games but with no enhancements unless specifically patched to take advantage of it

Nephtes

This whole Scalebound cancelation has really soured me on Scorpio.
The PS4 Pro never really appealed to me based on what was known about Scorpio, but I absolutely had ideas that Scalebound was going to be one of the games that really showed off the power of the system...

You need games on your system...

Phil Spencer talked about how he didn't want to money hat 3rd party exclusives to focus on the 1st party portfolio... And then he goes and cancels Scalebound???

This doesn't make sense to me.

Say what you will about whether or not Scalebound was going to sell well or not, the perception crater this cancellation has left is huge. And I don't see Microsoft running in to fill the crater in.

They absolutely can not wait till E3 to change this perception problem.

They need to do something yesterday to show they have more than Halo, Gears, and Forza lined up for this year for Scorpio or I don't see it being the success they need.

They absolutely cannot rest on the idea that they'll have the most powerful 3rd party content machine when so much 3rd party content seems to be defaulting to Sony's ecosystem only (Nier, Star Ocean, FFVII remake etc.)

_machine

First i would have to understand what you call niche .
That's a good question; in this case Platinum's output is a good example: lower production values, certain genre or defining aspects of the game (hardcore action for example) that most of the time tend to fall outside mainstream preference and in the console space games that don't seem to have the potential to be multi-million sellers (on the face of it) like their AAA brethren. That's not say niche isn't viable strategy in the games market (Paradox and Colossal Order being great examples), or even in the console space nor do I mean it in any negative way about Platinum (I've deep admiration for their work, studio culture and had even the pleasure to learn a bit from them, even if not directly). But the scale platform holders operates on these days is almost hostile to tying resources to niche business areas.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
its not a belief though, its an analysis based on available data. Sure it could be wrong, but I'm not pulling shit out of my ass here. PS4, and PS2 have both dominated their market, and both have their releases in common. PS2 even more so. PS3s sales fortunes turned around when their variety of exclusive games ramped up. Xbox 360 sales stagnated when their releases did the same, seeing a boost with Kinect.

And at this point, what else does the PS4 have that the one doesn't. Their online structure is similar, the consoles arent very different in power, and media options are actually better on the One. Its clearly possible that the PS4's continued growth as more people enter the generation is based on it being the system that friends are playing on already, however that did not seem to be a factor when the PS3 made a resurgence.

The reason why the PS3 was able to get ahead of the Xbox 360 all over the world with the exception of the US and UK, is that the Playstation brand is much, much more popular than Xbox. Even a 13 month headstart and a ridiculous price tag (599 euro) wasn't able to keep the PS3 from overtaking the Xbox 360 in sales. When Microsoft did everything wrong with the Xbox One launch and Sony did everything right the console war was already over in Q4 2013. Even when the PS4 was sold out for months at a time and there were stacks of Xbox Ones for bargain prices to be found, nobody bought Xbones. The brand is toxic in Europe. A more powerful Xbox One isn't going to change one damn thing for Microsoft in continental Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom