• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm a little disappointed that they brought back previous RE characters as the demo seemed to me to establish a completely new and separate story, which was great. I guess I never thought of RE as needing to stick with those characters since the appeal to me was the horror and environment.

Outside of easter eggs and Hunkfield at the end this game has the most unrelated story in the franchise.

Mifec

You don't need to spoiler tag. Also the hit reaction is pretty bad on the regular gun unless you spray a lot or shoot them in the head.

That's why he leaves the BSAA and goes rogue. The dude already cut contact with Jill, Barry, and Sheva by the time 6 happened. Maybe his time with the BSAA has made him unhinged from all the bio-terrorism he's had to deal with.

I so want to believe this is Chris.

That would break his development in 6 and ruin the whole Piers narrative. Aka one of the few good things to come out of that game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

RSB

Banned
Without watching, First-person combat. It always sucks if it's not designed specifically around shooting a gun (and usually at a distance). Even if they are mechanically similar in most ways, and the primary difference is just the perspective, first-person just never feels right with combat compared to third-person outside of a first-person shooter.
Yeah, melee combat in 1st person is hard to do well, even more when you have to account for VR. So yeah, it's not really that shocking to see the melee combat in RE7 being so slow and clunky.

It's more surprising to see how weak the gunplay is (no excuses there, since plenty of 1st person games do it well) Same for the poor enemy variety (which feels more in line with a low budget side game like Revelations, and not with a main line title)

Leeroy605

Any videos of the insect enemies in the game? More specifically spiders if they are in.

How bad they are pretty much makes or breaks whether I get this...

Vamphuntr

Hey guys I'm Chris Redfield. I look and sound nothing like that Chris Redfield you know, don't wear the same uniform and appear to work for the company that destroyed my life and those of my friends. Me meet in the back alley of that abandoned neighborhood and bring you wallet.

<3 Redfield

Can't believe some of you are still arguing about this.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I think the biggest piece of evidence against being Chris is the Vendetta movie that will release after RE7
3129999-jmkj2v1.jpg

You don't drastically change a character's design and then use the previous design again unless CAPCOM is on full retard mode

Jake2by4

I think the biggest piece of evidence against being Chris is the Vendetta movie that will release after RE7
3129999-jmkj2v1.jpg

You don't drastically change a character's design and then use the previous design again unless CAPCOM is on full retard mode

Hunkfield has red hair too. When has Chris been a red head. Lol

sjay1994

Outside of easter eggs and Hunkfield at the end this game has the most unrelated story in the franchise.

Unless, the Bioweapons in 7 will be used in future installments of the series.

You could argue that RE4 also had very little connection to previous games asides from Leon and Ada returning, and Plagas then being used for 5.

So yeah, while it might seem unrelated now, it probably could have larger ramifications in future games.

KyleCross

Hey guys I'm Chris Redfield. I look and sound nothing like that Chris Redfield you know, don't wear the same uniform and appear to work for the company that destroyed my life and those of my friends. Me meet in the back alley of that abandoned neighborhood and bring you wallet.

<3 Redfield

It's Chris because the game says it is. Saying it's not is speculation until Capcom proves otherwise. Like it or not, that's how it works.

kc44135

I haven't watched too much of the full game, but what's the problem with the combat/ gunplay? I thought it was absolutely fine in the demo.

It's Chris because the game says it is. Saying it's not is speculation until Capcom proves otherwise. Like it or not, that's how it works.

The existence of Vendetta pretty much proves it otherwise.

That character is billed as "Chris Redfield" in the credits because that's what he introduced himself as. Characters are listed as titles and monikers as opposed to their real names in credits all the time to make for easy reference.

Zuzzissm0

There are new 'special ability' coins you can purchase that give you big stat boosts, they take an inventory slot but give you a big boost in stats and are exclusive to this mode.

ah just wondering myselfe where they were because i read something about coins wich are working like perks a bit ago.

I haven't watched too much of the full game, but what's the problem with the combat/ gunplay? I thought it was absolutely fine in the demo.

1. Dodge mechanic looks a bit clunky.

2. Melee weapon animations are limited and lack force visually

3. Lack of body hit reactions outside of visual marks

4. A couple of simple and rather bland boss battles, both being culminating arc fights.

Those are the inherent problems observed. People may also be referring to:

1. Lack of combat outside of the Bakers in the footage leaked so far. While I'm sure the enemies will be lacking compared to the rest of the series, the ship location demonstrates that enemy encounters increase dramatically further into the game.

2. Poor player skills in the streams, while the other available footage has someone with infinite ammo and foreknowledge cutting through everything. No happy medium that would be experienced by most here.

kc44135

1. Dodge mechanic looks a bit clunky.

2. Melee weapon animations are limited and lack force visually

3. Lack of body hit reactions outside of visual marks

4. A couple of simple and rather bland boss battles, both being culminating arc fights.

Those are the inherent problems observed. People may also be referring to:

1. Lack of combat outside of the Bakers in the footage leaked so far. While I'm sure the enemies will be lacking compared to the rest of the series, the ship location demonstrates that enemy encounters increase dramatically further into the game.

2. Poor player skills in the streams, while the other available footage has someone with infinite ammo and foreknowledge cutting through everything. No happy medium that would be experienced by most here.

Wait, there's a dodge mechanic in RE7!? How does that work? Also, how much melee combat is there? I was under the impression from the demo that melee was worthless, and stuff like the axe was just kind of there, like the knife in the older games. Y'know, something you could use if you were really desperate, but combat was primarily designed around using guns.

Mifec

Wait, there's a dodge mechanic in RE7!? How does that work? Also, how much melee combat is there? I was under the impression from the demo that melee was worthless, and stuff like the axe was just kind of there, like the knife in the older games. Y'know, something you could use if you were really desperate, but combat was primarily designed around using guns.

Depending on the difficulty you can down Jack with a pocket knife early on. There's a boss fight where you have to fight with a chainsaw too.

RSB

Banned
Oh, if you liked the gunplay in the demo, then you'll be fine with the final game (from the videos and streams I've seen, it looks pretty much unchanged) Personally I thought it was complete garbage in the demo, and it doesn't look any better in all the footage I've seen.

The melee combat is also pretty bad (and I don't mean in comparison to RE4-6, which were amazing in that regard, but in general) Very slow and clunky.

Capcom is obviously capable of making fantastic combat systems, so I'm blaming VR.

It's literally just crouching. Hence the clunkiness.

Knife can down and kill, but even on casual it takes a lot of swings. Axe was used in a specific area early on and sort of a forced option. Chainsaw in a boss fight. Circular saw I've seen, but I think it may be one of the unlockables.

The guns are still primary, but the melee is functional and not entirely a last resort. Things are difficult melee wise however as the Bakers in particular can be difficult to deal with when trading blows.

kc44135

Depending on the difficulty you can down Jack with a pocket knife early on. There's a boss fight where you have to fight with a chainsaw too.

Oh, if you liked the gunplay in the demo, then you'll be fine with the final game (from the videos and streams I've seen, it looks pretty much unchanged) Personally I thought it was complete garbage in the demo, and it doesn't look any better in all the footage I've seen.

The melee combat is also pretty bad (and I don't mean in comparison to RE4-6, which were amazing in that regard, but in general) Very slow and clunky.

Capcom is obviously capable of making fantastic combat systems, so I'm blaming VR.

It's literally just crouching. Hence the clunkiness.

Knife can down and kill, but even on casual it takes a lot of swings. Axe was used in a specific area early on and sort of a forced option. Chainsaw in a boss fight. Circular saw I've seen, but I think it may be one of the unlockables.

The guns are still primary, but the melee is functional and not entirely a last resort. Things are difficult melee wise however as the Bakers in particular can be difficult to deal with when trading blows.

Alright, thx for all the info, guys.

BiggNife

<3 Redfield

This is exactly what I was saying.

There is no fucking way that it's actually Chris Redfield. There are far too many red flags.

Mask

Yeah, that ain't Chris. Not with all the warning signs we've seen so far. It doesn't sound or look like Chris, he shows up in an Umbrella helicopter and doesn't mention his first name. Along with all the pictures of HUNK showing that this dude looks pretty much like him, it's a sure shot.

And, we have a DLC releasing around the same time as the new CGI film, which features Chris pretty heavily, so I'm guessing we'll see some cross over and revelations in that. Plus, Umbrella Corps spoilers,
this new Umbrella is seemingly helmed by either Wesker or a Wesker clone. Would Chris really work with Wesker after RE5? It could be a clone, but seriously, I don't think Wesker would even entertain the idea of having his hated enemy near him in any capacity.

From what I have seen im guessing Jill won't be referenced in 7 and if the DLC or Vendetta don't reference her im just going to start assuming she retired after 5.

Top Bottom