• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh I have to catch up, I haven't read since the mid-20s. I'm really glad this has been good - it's pretty cool that a dancing manga has managed to run in Jump for 9+ volumes already (especially when things like Demon's Plan, Red Spirte, Love Rush which I would have bet would have done much better but sank like stones), and it's definitely not going anywhere considering the state of Jump right now.

Yeah, it regularly sits safely in the middle of the rankings so I'm happy it keeps chugging along. It helps that it's really really good; the writing is actually very solid and the art is wonderful.

img000010.png

You are in for a pretty cool ride. Do post what your impressions, I will be curious to see what you think once you are caught up.

It's actually kinda cool hearing how much the people working on it are such fans of the mangaka on the podcast. Which make it better that Astra is also as good as late Sket Dance (but slightly more refined).

Wait, the Sket Dance author has another manga?!?!

Why wasn't I told about this?! WHO'S BEEN KEEPING THIS FROM ME?!?!

I read the first chapter of Fire Force and I'm already tired of the hero and his constant repeating of "I wanna be a hero". I could say more but there's nothing else that needs to be said but that the book is bad.

cntr

Banned
I need to read Sesuji wo Pin...and wait, what, the Sket Dance guy has a new manga?? Shit, I need to finish Sket Dance and then start reading that!

cntr

Banned
I liked Soul Eater's setting and art in the chapters I read years ago, so kind of disappointing to hear that it went to poop.

Which considering how poopy Soul Eater ended up being is really saying something

Soul Eater had great art and style and was all-around good, but I think my opinion of it is raised by the BONES anime being really good. The authors next project could have shaped up into something amazing.

But Fire Force is just lame.

Yeah, it regularly sits safely in the middle of the rankings so I'm happy it keeps chugging along. It helps that it's really really good; the writing is actually very solid and the art is wonderful.

It's also available legally for free on Viz

Yuureitou

89667l.jpg

Read this at work/home

...whew. This shit was weird. Like, excluding the gender identity stuff, the actual story was weird. Maybe a bit too sloppy with its weirdness at the very end. The last bits were so wild that I thought I was reading Golden Kamui for a second lol. But the manga is much appreciated. A solid read featuring multiple characters who explore their "otherness" wrapped up in a historical murder-mystery treasure hunt. The most glaring flaw I can immediately bring up though is the art often inappropriately sexualizes a trans-male character, which really contradicts with his inner turmoil. You could make the point that having him in sexual feminine positions highlighted another character's struggle in accepting him for who he is, but even most of the out-of-context art would feature fanservice of the guy. It didn't prevent me from enjoying the story as a whole, but the fanservice was definitely annoying.

I'd give it a B

gintama 620

I was hoping that the big guy would be down for good. I know this is the big final fight, but it feels like its taking forever.

also, good old kagura
R7vYkqi.png

mdubs

Banned
Fuuka 1-39

I decided to read this because I wanted to get up to the happening of happenings before the anime got there. Like some parts of this manga like the romance make me go "YES!" but other fanservice parts and plot contrivances are like "why".

I can only imagine the magnitude of "wut" people reading this unspoiled felt like when the truck happened

Mousou Telepathy 103 - 109

Mana took that fairly well. Though I wonder if thats going to change how she is around Hayato, since now she knows for a fact he like Nanako instead.

Tomo 481 - 482

I like how everyone refers to Carol as a creature or something similar. Not just Tomo's parents, but other randoms in previous chapters as well.

Viridian6

Melancholia 1-2

More Nikelodeon!

I... don't get what happened in the first story?
The girl really died 10 years ago and is about to be reborn?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 1-39

I decided to read this because I wanted to get up to the happening of happenings before the anime got there. Like some parts of this manga like the romance make me go "YES!" but other fanservice parts and plot contrivances are like "why".

I can only imagine the magnitude of "wut" people reading this unspoiled felt like when the truck happened
The way it was written is wasn't clear what happened until the next chapter came out.

I mean, there's a lot more ridiculous shit that happens later on too.

Phoenix volume 1

One of the supposed masterpieces of Tezuka! Let's see how it is.

In a way, it's very ambitious as it tries to tell Humankind's story, from the ancient times to the future. It's like a Civilization game! It does by telling 12 stories, in different ages, and from what I read, the stories are interconnected both by the titular Phoenix and by reincarnated characters.

This first volume is the first story, Dawn, which chronologically it's also the first one. The second volume for example is the last story chronologically (3000 A.D.) so it jumps quite a bit. It's the story of the dawn of the country of Yamato empire, founded by invaders, and the fall of the previous kingdom ruled by a Sorceress-Queen, respected as god on Earth. And it does it with a lot of action, Tezuka usually does pretty fast paced manga, and it's the same here. In a few dozens pages you have treason, deaths, invasions by armies, promises of vengeance, slavery, all intertwined with story of people who wants to kill the mythical Phoenix who lives in a volcano to obtain immortality.

The art is typical Tezuka, but even if looks simple at first, he was a master of his craft and it has some very cool parts playing with shadows and lightning, and the flow between panels is excellent.

Arabesque

wait, what, the Sket Dance guy has a new manga?? Shit, I need to finish Sket Dance and then start reading that!

http://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/digital/astra-lost-in-space-chapter-1/4452

He started it in Jump Plus last year, been on a bi-weekly schedule. Viz picked it up quickly and got caught up fast, so you can read all available chapters there.

It's pretty great. Very similar to Sket Dance, but being a space adventure/
mystery
/
survival
manga, it also has a lot of unique cases and twists Sket Dance never had.

If stuff like Switch's past or the final help case interested you in Sket Dance, then I recommend catching up with Astra.

It's also available legally for free on Viz

It's pretty much the main reason I go to the free section. Viz's release had been pretty good.

Though the lack of a way to timely announce when a new chapter is out had been annoying (email is kinda of a primitive workaround)

MCD

Fairy Tail

How could Erza fly in the air after all her bones got crashed? She gonna cut a metriote with juat one hand and a shitty ass katana? Wtf

Kurita

I don't know if I my heart can take another "Switch's past" kind of deal. I might die.

I really need to finish SKET Dance one day, I love it but since I stopped reading manga for a while...

Arabesque

I guess it will depend on how it's compared, but the stuff in Astra isn't presented in the same way as Switch's past was, so it's not nearly as sad and crushing.

But some of it sure is every bit as tragic.

Jintor

Kaguya-san like 30 chapters up until present i guess?

This manga is very funny and I like it.

I bet it will have an anime adaptation soon.

Lain

I'm really loving the DanMachi novels. Not a fan of the English release, as I feel the Italian one has a lot more charm (and I prefer our names for the Gods to the English ones), but since Yen is at volume 7 while the Italian release is at 3 I didn't have much choice.
Manga is OK too, but without Yasuda's art it really loses out.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sesuji wo pin 45-latest
Boy this manga sure manage to pick up during the junior tournament arc. So many emotions gush out and epic two pages spread scene. The best part about this is how each side characters get their own focus and handled with care, as if they are the protagonist. I'm really glad YOKO manage to find success with dance manga in jump magazine.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch482

She's completely fearless~

Drifters ch64

Looking forward to Nobunaga going nuts.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch30

Huh, he didn't last long.

Usobuko

Banned
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some recommendations on stuff to read. Over the past couple years I've started getting back into Anime but never really got into Manga or Light Novels. The two series I started reading recently are Jojo and Assassination Classroom and I'm enjoying them so I wanted to get some recommendations.

I have a feeling too much recs will be too daunting for you to start. So, I will just give 3 recs that I think you'll enjoy reading.

Blame!
Kingdom
Vinland Saga

dramatis

December 2016 Recommendation: Children of the Sea

Mystery fantasy adventure | 5 volumes, Completed work
When Ruka was younger, she saw a ghost in the water at the aquarium where her dad works. Now she feels drawn toward the aquarium and the two mysterious boys she meets there, Umi and Sora. They were raised by dugongs and hear the same strange calls from the sea as she does.

Ruka's dad and the other adults who work at the aquarium are only distantly aware of what the children are experiencing as they get caught up in the mystery of the worldwide disappearance of the oceans' fish.​
survivor: Some of the world's origin myths told throughout the story have been very creative.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 518

What is it with manga villains summoning meteors without rhyme or reason.
Shit was dumb with Madara, isn't any better here.
And conveniently having all your bones crushed but the ones in your right arm do catapult yourself towards the thing with only a Katana and friendship power is just...I don't know. This is all stupid.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I liked Soul Eater's setting and art in the chapters I read years ago, so kind of disappointing to hear that it went to poop.

Black Stars fight with Mifune, the manga versin, is the apex of Soul Eater, starts going to shit shortly afterwards, though he himself gets some decent character development

Busaiku

Eh, I can't get into To Your Eternity.
The first chapter was kind of what I wanted, but far less speaking, and a greater focus on survival.

Don't like where it went after that.
And there's way too much talking.

The promos are like the most deceptive things.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Kasane ch. 25

That was a pretty brilliant turn-around on the mom. She won't ever be convinced that's her daughter, but Kasane easily countered the mother by using her suspicion to tear her down as a parent, cornering her in return.

All sorts of flavors of fucked up, but like, damn.

WataMote ch. 109

Recommend a shitty light novel, make a friend.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord 1
Prunus Girl author, woohoo etc. A FeMC gets vampirified and doesn't really give a damn about it, though she starts to revise her opinion when the usual cravings begin. There's nothing particularly attention grabbing about this 1st chapter besides the author, but that's enough to keep me reading for now.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord 1

Prunus Girl author, woohoo etc. A FeMC gets vampirified and doesn't really give a damn about it, though she starts to revise her opinion when the usual cravings begin. There's nothing particularly attention grabbing about this 1st chapter besides the author, but that's enough to keep me reading for now.

I'm willing to bite if it's PG's mangaka, I really do love that manga.

Tejina Senpai 42

5Q7YQvI.png

Goddammit. The doujins practically write themselves. I'm surprised senpai had the dexterity to make balloon animals, shame her success blew up in her face.

iDOLM@STER - Cute Arisu (SFW doujin)

And the moral of the story is: cuteness is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe it's idols shouldn't do drugs, because that'd certainly explain some of the visual irregularities. Surprisingly sweet resolution, though the difference between her self-perception and reality was pretty clear from the cover. Didn't realise Arisu was in the anime and she was successful(?), I'll have to filter that from my mind when I read U149.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seven Deadly Sins Not really much I can say besides I kind of missed it and am enjoying this current arc.

Fairy Tail I swear to god, Meteor is the most overratted rpg spell in the god damn world.

Promised Neverland Huh, did not see that coming. That two page spread tho

Shouta

Uchi no Musume no Tame ni naraba Ore wa moshikashitara, maou wo taoserukamoshirenai Ch. 1 - 6.5

Jeez this title is fucking long. Stupid JP trends. It translates to "I might be able to defeat the Demon King if it's for my daughter." An adventurer encounters an orphaned demon girl and takes her in. First few chapters is basically him trying to raise her like teaching her how to speak, getting her accustomed to humans, etc. It's kinda adorable.

Uchi no Musume no Tame ni naraba Ore wa moshikashitara, maou wo taoserukamoshirenai Ch. 1 - 6.5

Jeez this title is fucking long. Stupid JP trends. It translates to "I might be able to defeat the Demon King if it's for my daughter." An adventurer encounters an orphaned demon girl and takes her in. First few chapters is basically him trying to raise her like teaching her how to speak, getting her accustomed to humans, etc. It's kinda adorable.

I've seen possible spoilers from the LN that makes me want to burn this series to the ground...I pray they were false.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No I have no idea. I just think it's funny "***** ****" is a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom