• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

franconp

Still catching up....You guys are really active so I have a long way to go.

So we assume there is a single level 1 scum right now. That scum is violent and not human like at the moment.

Has anyone not posted whatsoever? It might make sense that a level 1 scum can't post. Or maybe they can't vote.

The question is what can they do tonight? Can they simply kill? That would make sense. Once they reach level 2 they can infect/recruit.

I would suggest we watch out for anyone that doesn't post or doesn't vote day 1. As a precautionary measure, I suggest that we make it mandatory for everyone to vote day 1.

I'm not too fond of this idea. It goes really well with the flavour of the game but the concept as a mechanic is broken. That would mean that we always will know who are infected and who isn't. We can just wait to the last 10 minutes of the day and kill the one who didn't voted or posted.

Faddy

Banned
Faddy, what do you think of the current state of affairs?

Do you also think that Verne Cotter will lead the men in tartan to not last place at this year's 6N?

Don't have a clue. Kark must have a twist in the tail but I can't fathom how this works out for him. Everyone else is noisy and I don't have clear thoughts on any of them. I have 2 town reads (Natiko and Franconp) but then apparently everyone is town apart from Kark.

Scotland are going to sandbag the 6N so the Warriors can win the Champions Cup. 2 wins, Italy plus either Ireland or Wales

CCS

Banned
I'm not too fond of this idea. It goes really well with the flavour of the game but the concept as a mechanic is broken. That would mean that we always will know who are infected and who isn't. We can just wait to the last 10 minutes of the day and kill the one who didn't voted or posted.

Obviously LP hasn't posted yet but I don't know if we should assume he won't post. I guess that's the test, wait and see if he does. If he does, sort of blows the whole theory apart.

CCS

Banned
Don't have a clue. Kark must have a twist in the tail but I can't fathom how this works out for him. Everyone else is noisy and I don't have clear thoughts on any of them. I have 2 town reads (Natiko and Franconp) but then apparently everyone is town apart from Kark.

Scotland are going to sandbag the 6N so the Warriors can win the Champions Cup. 2 wins, Italy plus either Ireland or Wales

Fat chance of the Warriors getting past the mighty Saracens. Farrell will lead us to victory! :p

Sawneeks

Banned
ಠ_ಠ

So i don't want the director job, don't give it to me. I'm going to lay low day one, so I don't engineer up some reasons for you all to kill me (pineapple/Pork BBQ pizza aside).

Nobody has said anything yet but I really don't like this.

There is no reason not to talk if you are Town. Laying low and coasting won't help your position and it definitely won't help Town since we won't be able to get a proper read on you.

Speak up and tell us what's on your mind.

If you guys want to get rid of this volatile, burdensome role (and it seems like the best option for Town to do so), I'm absolutely the least risky option.

Yup, still not feeling great about this renewed insistence of 'hey guys give it to me so I can die'.

After thinking about it, I like that rationale against the "if day X policy Lynch" talk. I could get behind a sawneeks directorship.

So chill out everyone, let's make her director...

That settles the matter then, in Saw we trust!

Vote: Sawneeks

To Saw!

VOTE: Sawneeks

ಠ_ಠ

I'm flattered by the nominations but I'm of two minds about this.

I really feel that getting rid of the Director role now outweighs any of the potential positives it brings. We're going to hit a point later on where the discussion is 'well, what if the Director is Scum?' and since we don't know how many NKs we are dealing with it's possible that when we do hit this point we won't have the mislynches to spare testing out that theory. Not to mention it will be a constant question as to if the Director can be trusted or not, should we let the Director live until end game, etc. when we could be focusing on Scum Hunting instead. Hence why I really want to get rid of it.

On the other hand, in order to get rid of it we need to hand it to someone who is getting lynched the next Day Phase, aka Kark, and with his new insistence of 'i'm your best option give it to me and then kill me' I'm really not feeling that great about it anymore?? At first it was 'give it to me so I can be cured and then we all live happily ever after' and that was, as many people have already called out, total BS and is partially why I wanted to give it to him. He never talked about being lynched, or at least never pushed for it, and instead always insisted on being cured and I figured if we could all come to an agreement to lynch him after electing him then we can remove both negative aspects from the game.

But...it seems nobody wants to do that. And this isn't some idea I can do on my own so unless everybody suddenly shifts again I'm going to drop it. No point in wasting more time on it if we aren't going to go through with the idea.

So in regards to who should be Director, and while I personally feel it is a negative utility, the only person I trust right now with that role is myself. It's Day 1 and while it's being heavily discussed that the Scum Team is only 1 person right now it's possible that they are a normal size until we get hard evidence that proves otherwise. So while it is possible Kark is telling the 100% truth I'm not willing to totally gamble and seriously consider giving the role to someone else I don't know and hope that they will use it for Town's best interest. Until then, and until more discussion is happening and I can get better reads, the only person whose intentions I trust are my own.

If we aren't getting rid of it I'm fine with taking the Director role. We can work out no posting towards the end, no breaking ties, etc. etc. etc. I don't really care. Just know if I do become Director then expect more analytical BS from me since my vote would hold more sway than normal. And I'm usually fairly analytical with my vote to begin with.

TheExodu5

Banned

We don't know if it's a mechanic or not. Doesn't hurt to try day 1, does it?

ಠ_ಠ

Nobody has said anything yet but I really don't like this.

There is no reason not to talk if you are Town. Laying low and coasting won't help your position and it definitely won't help Town since we won't be able to get a proper read on you.

Speak up and tell us what's on your mind.

Yup, still not feeling great about this renewed insistence of 'hey guys give it to me so I can die'.

ಠ_ಠ

I'm flattered by the nominations but I'm of two minds about this.

I really feel that getting rid of the Director role now outweighs any of the potential positives it brings. We're going to hit a point later on where the discussion is 'well, what if the Director is Scum?' and since we don't know how many NKs we are dealing with it's possible that when we do hit this point we won't have the mislynches to spare testing out that theory. Not to mention it will be a constant question as to if the Director can be trusted or not, should we let the Director live until end game, etc. when we could be focusing on Scum Hunting instead. Hence why I really want to get rid of it.

On the other hand, in order to get rid of it we need to hand it to someone who is getting lynched the next Day Phase, aka Kark, and with his new insistence of 'i'm your best option give it to me and then kill me' I'm really not feeling that great about it anymore?? At first it was 'give it to me so I can be cured and then we all live happily ever after' and that was, as many people have already called out, total BS and is partially why I wanted to give it to him. He never talked about being lynched, or at least never pushed for it, and instead always insisted on being cured and I figured if we could all come to an agreement to lynch him after electing him then we can remove both negative aspects from the game.

But...it seems nobody wants to do that. And this isn't some idea I can do on my own so unless everybody suddenly shifts again I'm going to drop it. No point in wasting more time on it if we aren't going to go through with the idea.

So in regards to who should be Director, and while I personally feel it is a negative utility, the only person I trust right now with that role is myself. It's Day 1 and while it's being heavily discussed that the Scum Team is only 1 person right now it's possible that they are a normal size until we get hard evidence that proves otherwise. So while it is possible Kark is telling the 100% truth I'm not willing to totally gamble and seriously consider giving the role to someone else I don't know and hope that they will use it for Town's best interest. Until then, and until more discussion is happening and I can get better reads, the only person whose intentions I trust are my own.

I agree with you, I don't think scum is only 1 person right now.

When I said "lay low" I meant no insane gambits day 1. Kark's already got that covered.

franconp

We don't know if it's a mechanic or not. Doesn't hurt to try day 1, does it?

It's really simple: the game has the standard rules of activity so if LP don't post before deadline he will be proded and replaced. If he isn't we will know something is not right. We don't even need to risk a potential townie.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's really simple: the game has the standard rules of activity so if LP don't post before deadline he will be proded and replaced. If he isn't we will know something is not right. We don't even need to risk a potential townie.

The restrictions could easily be on voting. So to eliminate this as a possible mechanic I suggest that we mandate that everyone votes day 1.

TheExodu5

Banned
OK almost all caught up. Just read the Karkador situation.

If he's telling the truth, that completely destroys the game from.a balance perspective and will just end the game early. He's played against his own win condition and has all but ensured a victory for town. I don't think he would do this, but in the case it's true, it will not be a very good game at all. For this reason, I would rather ignore this possibility altogether. I doubt we have a role locker, as a correct roleblock N1 and Lynch D2 would end the game.

He could easily be a neutral. Tanner or requires director for his win condition.

So we have 3 choices:

1) Vote him as director. I don't see how this benefits us unless we plan on lynching him D2 to get rid of the role.

2) Lynch him D2. This will give us a lot of information potentially, but could just end up as a win for the tanner. I feel like we'd be playing into his hands if we did this.

3) Leave him alone. We would get zero information but would not be giving him what he wants.

I say we ignore option 1. We might have more information come D2 which will help us decide among the remaining options.

acohrs

ಠ_ಠ

giphy.gif

TheExodu5

Banned

I believe she is absolutely the best choice for director. I will not give my reasons until we consider lynching the director.

acohrs

I think there is some truth and a lot of falseness in Kark's statement. What is the truth? Well I'd say it's the infected are chosen randomly each night phase. Why lie about that? What is a lie though is that Kark is alone as infected. There is someone else behind Kark, maybe Ouro, and another 1or 2 I'd guess.

Also, don't actually support a Rugby club so don't care who wins the championscup. Guess Id like Leinster

Sawneeks

Banned
I agree with you, I don't think scum is only 1 person right now.

When I said "lay low" I meant no insane gambits day 1. Kark's already got that covered.

Actually I lean towards believing we only have 1 Scum. Even if you ignore everything Kark has said so far there's a lot in the opening post the implies, in highlight tags, that there are different Levels to Scum. Also, why deny a Day 1 lynch? Why do we have a 'Aroxometer' that counts the level of Araxia in the game? Why did the opening post go through the lengths of explaining the different stages of Infection if it had no purpose?

I will not be taking this as fact until we get hard proof ( aka a flip ) but I think the evidence points strongly in that direction. But since it's not proven I'm also working with the idea we have a normal sized Scum Team until we get confirmation one way or the other.

If he's telling the truth, that completely destroys the game from.a balance perspective and will just end the game early. He's played against his own win condition and has all but ensured a victory for town. I don't think he would do this, but in the case it's true, it will not be a very good game at all. For this reason, I would rather ignore this possibility altogether. I doubt we have a role locker, as a correct roleblock N1 and Lynch D2 would end the game.

Kark's claim makes sense if he is the only Scum if you consider a couple things.

1. We can't lynch today. Why have that in a game with a normal sized Scum Team? Maybe it's to balance out the fact that there is only 1 Scum and if we lynched correctly today the game would end immediately.

2. If he is the only one he MUST Infect someone tonight. This plays into the 'we can't lynch today' thing as it would ensure the Scum Team lives past Day 1 AND it ensures that the Team grows by Day 2. It would also imply that we either have no Roleblocker or the Infection can not be stopped via a traditional Block.

Swamped

Banned
What made you switch from Ouro to Natiko?

I think Natiko is doing a better job of explaining why he wants the power. Still, I think I should be on everyone's short list.

2. If he is the only one he MUST Infect someone tonight. This plays into the 'we can't lynch today' thing as it would ensure the Scum Team lives past Day 1 AND it ensures that the Team grows by Day 2. It would also imply that we either have no Roleblocker or the Infection can not be stopped via a traditional Block.

If he MUST infect someone tonight, that means he's a level 2 araxoid (because level 1's can't infect according to the OP). We really need to lynch him D2.

---

I'm really wary of people scum reading early in the game. Especially because it is likely we are not starting out with a full scum team that can communicate with each other. Usually the scum team starts out with full information on everyone's alignment. That's how town can usually catch them, through votes or slips that indicate they know more than they are letting on. But since we likely do not have a full scum team here, it's difficult to actually scum-read people.

Having said that, I distrust acohrs (and to some extent CCS) for putting Kark and Ouro together. That's an extremely tenuous link to me. And he has mentioned it a couple of times. It reads to me like he's trying to get some steam for this idea, and maybe set up a chain lynch or something.

Do you think Karkador is full of porky pies? Also what do you think Fran's account of Kark and Ouro being old messers together? Could be some pudding in that pie now, eh?

The first quote is him recounting what Fran said, but he sticks with it.

I think there is some truth and a lot of falseness in Kark's statement. What is the truth? Well I'd say it's the infected are chosen randomly each night phase. Why lie about that? What is a lie though is that Kark is alone as infected. There is someone else behind Kark, maybe Ouro, and another 1or 2 I'd guess.

---

But then again, if Kark is telling the truth there is only one infected around (him. Not sure if he's level 1 or 2 though). This means that everyone else must be Lakeshore by default. Meaning that my entire argument above is useless, but, well, I typed it up and I'm going to post it lol.

CCS

Banned
Screw this, I'm not going to hide like a coward.

I should be director. Why?

Because I'm perfect for it.

Why?

Because I'm town. But that's not enough.

So why?

I am bulletproof. I cannot be infected. According to my role PM, I am immune to Araxia and can heal from death. I can only die in the incinerator (which I assume is lynching).

Who am I?

I am a mutant. I was a scientist, but an experiment went wrong (or right?). I was working with the other scientists to try and make use of my mutation when the quarantine began.

I CAN SAVE YOU. I CAN SAVE YOU ALL. TRUST ME. PLEASE.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well now I'm curious, why?

Because it might impact how you play the game.

In any case, I agree entirely with your analysis with regards to the mechanics. I believe there is only 1 scum. I also agree that we do not have a roleblocker.

Let's work on the assumption that Kark is telling the truth. If scum can recruit once each night, they will forever beat us in numbers. That is, unless we have the ability to neutralize at night and Lynch during the day. This would imply that we have the ability to cure at night.

Now, one thing bothers my about Kark's claim. He says that he recruits in the fetal state (level 1). But then he says the recruit will kill someone and likely target Kark? Why, exactly? Does the recruit kill as soon as they are recruited? Are they given a choice who to kill? If so, why would they chose Kark? It just doesn't add up at all.

That is, unless the infected are on a timer to self destruct. Maybe the infected automatically die after a certain amount of days? They reach level 2, leave messages for their recruits in scum chat, and die the next day? This would provide some semblance of balance to the endless recruiting mechanic. It would also explain why Kark is trying to find a way out.

Why?

So why?

I am bulletproof. I cannot be infected. According to my role PM, I am immune to Araxia and can heal from death. I can only die in the incinerator (which I assume is lynching).

Who am I?

I am a mutant. I was a scientist, but an experiment went wrong (or right?). I was working with the other scientists to try and make use of my mutation when the quarantine began.

Hmmm....

Verelios

Just woke up to this...mess, and see we're still debating whether or not Kark is off his rocker. As I said yesterday, I'm against making him director for three reasons

1. He's playing against his win con, and why would he do that, even disregarding how he says town is more attractive (why? Wouldn't make a balanced game) when scum could be equally attractive. Not to mention it's day 1.

2. I dislike how strongly he's bidding for the role. This seems like a gambit where it's complete after he gets it or he has more information than us that would make the role more appealing

3. I don't trust him with how wishy washy he's been.

I believe she is absolutely the best choice for director. I will not give my reasons until we consider lynching the director.
Well, now you have my attention. I must hear more.

I wouldn't be completely against voting for Saw but I need to see some receipts Exodu5

acohrs

Why?

So why?

Who am I?

Wat8.jpg

...buddy?

acohrs

Just woke up to this...mess, and see we're still debating whether or not Kark is off his rocker. As I said yesterday, I'm against making him director for three reasons

1. He's playing against his win con, and why would he do that, even disregarding how he says town is more attractive (why? Wouldn't make a balanced game) when scum could be equally attractive. Not to mention it's day 1.

2. I dislike how strongly he's bidding for the role. This seems like a gambit where it's complete after he gets it or he has more information than us that would make the role more appealing

3. I don't trust him with how wishy washy he's been.

Well, now you have my attention. I must hear more.

I wouldn't be completely against voting for Saw but I need to see some receipts Exodu5

they just posted those reasons Verelios, what do you think of them?

Verelios

Why?

So why?

Who am I?

Well CCS, notwithstanding why you thought anyone would believe a role claim day 1, how exactly do you think this is going to go down? It's still the same trappings of making anyone else a director and the suspicion lobbied against you especially for this is going to be fierce. So...what's end game?

CCS

Banned
Well CCS, notwithstanding why you thought anyone would believe a role claim day 1, how exactly do you think this is going to go down? It's still the same trappings of making anyone else a director and the suspicion lobbied against you especially for this is going to be fierce. So...what's end game?

I want to help. I just want to save as many of you as I can.

I completly forgot you were in the game. Any thoughts? Who do you like for Director and what's your thoughts on Kark?

Let me get back to you on that, I'm waiting for a question to be answered by Dusk Soldier.

At the moment, I'm going to assume Kark is infected/neutral and angling for the director position.

Swamped

Banned
So why?

Well this was entertaining thanks for that XD

So you can never be killed or infected, you claim you can only be lynched? That's quite preposterous.

CCS

Banned
watican-meme.jpg

OK, you have my ear lover, why claim? Why want director? Are you alone? Do you really think Saracens stand a chance this season?

Answer me these 4 lover

To save lives and win
Because I cannot turn scum
I am town and alone
We will win it again

I completly forgot you were in the game. Any thoughts? Who do you like for Director and what's your thoughts on Kark?

Let me get back to you on that, I'm waiting for a question to be answered by Dusk Soldier.

At the moment, I'm going to assume Kark is infected/neutral and angling for the director position.

Never mind, I just read this post.

Alright, look, I'm the Infected, and I'm roleclaiming today in a bid to be cured and return to Town, but I need the Director power for this plan to work.

Why am I roleclaiming as the lone Infected? Because I realized this:

I'm going to infect a random person. I have no control over who I'm adding to my team (I think this is done so that I'm not just building some mafia supergroup of the best, scummiest Gafia players). This is how the game works, and it's why we're voting for a Director right now - it means they dont' just auto-join the mafia team.

But I think I see a way out for me, and a benefit for Town.

How?

- Tonight, I'll add a random player to Infected. Notice that in the "feral" state, I actually don't get to communicate with them, so I don't actually learn who they are for a night. They will kill someone (this is when the NK happens), and likely target me. This is how I noticed my "out'.

- As Director, I have a higher chance of being protected or cured or something, aka converted to non-Infected/Town, which I'm pretty confident is a thing in this game.

- So I get cured, switched to Town, and then Town doesn't have to worry about the Director falling into mafia for the rest of the game.

Look, it's crazy, maybe a bit exploit-y, cheesing the game a little, but this is the best solution I see to this problem right now. Otherwise, lol, I'm dead - but Infected will live on.

Verelios

In any case, I agree entirely with your analysis with regards to the mechanics. I believe there is only 1 scum. I also agree that we do not have a roleblocker.
????????
Exodu5, this wasn't amusing or interesting enough to swing my vote. And the same could be said for a vast majority of players, not even counting Saw does a good job being helpful as Scum and town.
they just posted those reasons Verelios, what do you think of them?
Not much

CCS

Banned
Well this was entertaining thanks for that XD

So you can never be killed or infected, you claim you can only be lynched? That's quite preposterous.

The description was:

You can self-heal from most injuries including death. You're also immune to Araxia. I wouldn't test my luck in the incinerator though...

That's how I read it.

Why won't you guys let me help you?

The description was:

You can self-heal from most injuries including death. You're also immune to Araxia. I wouldn't test my luck in the incinerator though...

That's how I read it.

Why won't you guys let me help you?

Because it seems too good to be true?

acohrs

To save lives and win
Because I cannot turn scum
I am town and alone
We will win it again

4b7.jpg

What is your win condition then if you are neutral buddy?

You won't win it again, Saracens have become fat with victory and greed. Your pride will be your downfall lover

Sawneeks

Banned
I think Natiko is doing a better job of explaining why he wants the power. Still, I think I should be on everyone's short list.

?

I'm pretty sure Natiko said he didn't want the power and has rescinded his bid for being Director.

Also you don't need to apologize for that lol. I think everyone talking and getting their opinions out now is the best option, especially if people become Infected we can look back and see how they have changed. And it's also possible we do have a Scum Team, so looking for other Scummies is always a good plan. Personally I'm not a fan of science doggo ( Fat4All ) and so far Acohrs/CCS are playing as they have been which is bad for Acohrs and it means CCS is clear.

lol

isn't this the 3rd game in a row you've claimed within the first 2 Day Phases?

Let's work on the assumption that Kark is telling the truth. If scum can recruit once each night, they will forever beat us in numbers. That is, unless we have the ability to neutralize at night and Lynch during the day. This would imply that we have the ability to cure at night.

Now, one thing bothers my about Kark's claim. He says that he recruits in the fetal state (level 1). But then he says the recruit will kill someone and likely target Kark? Why, exactly? Does the recruit kill as soon as they are recruited? Are they given a choice who to kill? If so, why would they chose Kark? It just doesn't add up at all.

That is, unless the infected are on a timer to self destruct. Maybe the infected automatically die after a certain amount of days? They reach level 2, leave messages for their recruits in scum chat, and die the next day? This would provide some semblance of balance to the endless recruiting mechanic. It would also explain why Kark is trying to find a way out.

I mean I can tell you now it would effect how I play. With 3-votes I can nearly swing lynches on my own and that's an insane amount of power to have. When I do vote with it I will more than likely triple check myself before committing because I don't want to push us towards mislynches.

My thoughts for how the mechanic sort-of works are:

1. You become Infected and are Level 1 Scum ( say this happens on Night 1 )
2. Day 2 you are Scum but can't talk with your Team
3. Night 2 you random NK someone, turn into Level 2, and then pass the Infection on
4. Day 3 starts and you have access to Scum Chat, can't kill, and have to hope whoever you infected lives until they are Level 2

And since Kark claims to begin as a Level 1 Infected ( "I was 'feral' and killed Cabot on Night 0" ) then it likely means he will become Level 2 tonight. Level 1 can probably be cured at some point in this time frame but Level 2 are probably incurable since they would have Scum Chat access.

CCS

Banned
I know claiming Day One is normally frowned upon, but my role is so perfect for being director that I felt I owed it to you all.

I really really am just trying to help.

Sawneeks

Banned
For the record I actually do believe CCS, this falls into character as something he would do.

I still don't think he should be Director.

Let me get my Ouro Hat on for a second and say how bad of an idea it was though. If you really are BP then you just wasted your ability. The best use of a BP is to eat a NK that would have otherwise gone to another Townie but with you now claiming Scum NEVER have a reason to try and kill you. Meaning they kill the Townie you would have saved with your BP instead of wasting it.

Okay, Ouro Hat is off.

The claim did make me laugh though. n_n

CCS

Banned
Seen you do this roughly 3 times now and all times you were being 100% honest, but...

65895319.jpg

Sorry buddy, are we still BFFs?

I suppose so :p

For the record I actually do believe CCS, this falls into character as something he would do.

I still don't think he should be Director.

Let me get my Ouro Hat on for a second and say how bad of an idea it was though. If you really are BP then you just wasted your ability. The best use of a BP is to eat a NK that would have otherwise gone to another Townie but with you now claiming Scum NEVER have a reason to try and kill you. Meaning they kill the Townie you would have saved with your BP instead of wasting it.

Okay, Ouro Hat is off.

The claim did make me laugh though. n_n

Why wouldn't you vote for me if you believe me? It's two extra town votes forever :D

acohrs

And it's also possible we do have a Scum Team, so looking for other Scummies is always a good plan. Personally I'm not a fan of science doggo ( Fat4All ) and so far Acohrs/CCS are playing as they have been which is bad for Acohrs and it means CCS is clear.

You saying that last sentence goes against your other theory that Karkador is telling the truth about being the only scum? Which is it?

Also, I'm not playing the same as Zelda mafia, haven't made a mistake once yet! B)

Top Bottom