• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

pgharavi

Banned
Correct! The browser just freezes upon opening. I can't even open the settings let alone type anything because of the freeze. It starts up like this:

And freezes, even if I try to quickly press anything.

Have you tried deleting your Wifi settings and booting the browser? Maybe that will allow you to open it and delete ALL the browser settings and try again?

Arthos

Have you tried deleting your Wifi settings and booting the browser? Maybe that will allow you to open it and delete ALL the browser settings and try again?

Just did so and it still froze.

I'm just confused about the whole thing and what could have even gone wrong.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys I gotta real oddball question....are there any physical mods for the 3DS that allows you to connect and play the system with an external controller(wired or wireless)?

vgamer1

OK guys I gotta real oddball question....are there any physical mods for the 3DS that allows you to connect and play the system with an external controller(wired or wireless)?

You can do this without a physical mod using custom firmware.

Not sure of any physical mods to do this.

pgharavi

Banned
Just did so and it still froze.

I'm just confused about the whole thing and what could have even gone wrong.

Weird. If I was in your position I would try to find a logical re-starting point in the guide and proceed from there. I can't recall how deep in the browser part is but I'd venture to guess that somewhere along the lines, among the seemingly endless files you have to download, transfer, eject SD, download more, transfer more, eject again, replace, etc....something went wrong. Not colossally, as as your system still boots. But prob just one simple file or one "hax" process.

I mean, I don't know I'm just spitballing but I really doubt you have to resort to a hardmod. Just go back to a point that seems reasonable and proceed from there.

Kraatu

I guess this has been said, but I want to be sure.

I have previously done the guide on a brand new N3DS, and it worked.

Now, I have an Old 3DS XL, with Custom Firmware (RX 11.xx). Can the same guide help me here? I kinda understand it does, but I am a little confused, as I don't know what happens to the emunand, the partition on the SD, and all that stuff.

Do I start from the very beggining of the guide?

Thanks.

https://3ds.guide/ is your friend.
Follow it and you will be fine.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You can do this without a physical mod using custom firmware.

Not sure of any physical mods to do this.

Really? Can you provide a link pointing me in the right direction please?

fester

Banned
Some people have been wondering how they would go about adding the orchestral soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII, so here's how I did it (you'll need both the NA (or EU) and Japanese versions of the game):

1. Dump your cart/carts to .CIA format using the Gamecart Dumper option in Hourglass9 (accessible by holding Start while powering on your 3DS, assuming you followed https://3ds.guide to install CFW). If you have either version through the eShop, you'll have to figure out how to dump those yourself, since I'm not familiar with that process.
2. Copy the .CIA file(s) you made from your SD card (Hourglass9 places them in the files9 folder) to your PC. Use HackingToolkit3DS to extract the files from both .CIAs.
3. The file structure is the same for both - the audio files are in the "ExtractedRomFS / rom / Sound / stream" folder. The soundtrack in the Japanese version consists of the files ranging from "BG_001.pcm16.bcstm" to "BG_046.pcm16.bcstm" (The BG files actually continue up to BG_077, but the rest are small jingles and sound effects, and replacing those leads to the end-of-battle and save jingles being way too loud for some reason). In the NA/EU version, the filenames are slightly different - "BG_001.dspadpcm.bcstm", for example. So rename the Japanese soundtrack to match the NA files, then replace the NA/EU soundtrack with the renamed JP files. Also, BG_041 was present in the JP version but not the NA one, at least for me. I left that one out of the transfer, since I'm not sure what would have happened if I added a file that wasn't originally there.
4. Using HackingToolkit3DS again, rebuild the NA/EU .CIA, then put it on your SD card, and use FBI (a homebrew app you should already have on your 3DS if you followed https://3ds.guide) to install it.
5. If you've already started playing the game, you'll probably want to continue your save file. You can use JK's Save Manager to back up your save and then import into your new modded version.

I'm no expert at this - I only recently installed CFW myself. It's possible I didn't do everything in the ideal way, but it worked for me!

Also, if you were interested in replacing the voice acting with the Japanese version, you should be able to do that as well, since all the audio files are in the stream folder. I didn't try, since I like the English VA.

If you need more help with any step in the process, you can ask here, or there are tutorials you can find online for each app/program I used - that's how I figured this stuff out myself, after all.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. It got me pointed in the right direction and I have everything working perfectly.

I know that FBI is basically the installer for CIA files, but what the heck is the homebrew channel and the Luma app for? I don't ever seem to have any use for them.

Producer

I know that FBI is basically the installer for CIA files, but what the heck is the homebrew channel and the Luma app for? I don't ever seem to have any use for them.

homebrew launcher is for launching homebrew, but most if not all popular homebrew also have cia versions

Luma menu is for changing some cfw settings

The Luma Updater app is for keeping Luma up to date. It was broken last time I looked though due to the account being hacked and not having been updated for the new dev build locations.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey guys, how do you dump an eShop game into a CIA file? Is it possible in the hourglass9 menu? I see there's an option to dump a game cartridge to CIA.

hlhbk

Some people have been wondering how they would go about adding the orchestral soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII, so here's how I did it (you'll need both the NA (or EU) and Japanese versions of the game):

1. Dump your cart/carts to .CIA format using the Gamecart Dumper option in Hourglass9 (accessible by holding Start while powering on your 3DS, assuming you followed https://3ds.guide to install CFW). If you have either version through the eShop, you'll have to figure out how to dump those yourself, since I'm not familiar with that process.
2. Copy the .CIA file(s) you made from your SD card (Hourglass9 places them in the files9 folder) to your PC. Use HackingToolkit3DS to extract the files from both .CIAs.
3. The file structure is the same for both - the audio files are in the "ExtractedRomFS / rom / Sound / stream" folder. The soundtrack in the Japanese version consists of the files ranging from "BG_001.pcm16.bcstm" to "BG_046.pcm16.bcstm" (The BG files actually continue up to BG_077, but the rest are small jingles and sound effects, and replacing those leads to the end-of-battle and save jingles being way too loud for some reason). In the NA/EU version, the filenames are slightly different - "BG_001.dspadpcm.bcstm", for example. So rename the Japanese soundtrack to match the NA files, then replace the NA/EU soundtrack with the renamed JP files. Also, BG_041 was present in the JP version but not the NA one, at least for me. I left that one out of the transfer, since I'm not sure what would have happened if I added a file that wasn't originally there.
4. Using HackingToolkit3DS again, rebuild the NA/EU .CIA, then put it on your SD card, and use FBI (a homebrew app you should already have on your 3DS if you followed https://3ds.guide) to install it.
5. If you've already started playing the game, you'll probably want to continue your save file. You can use JK's Save Manager to back up your save and then import into your new modded version.

I'm no expert at this - I only recently installed CFW myself. It's possible I didn't do everything in the ideal way, but it worked for me!

Also, if you were interested in replacing the voice acting with the Japanese version, you should be able to do that as well, since all the audio files are in the stream folder. I didn't try, since I like the English VA.

If you need more help with any step in the process, you can ask here, or there are tutorials you can find online for each app/program I used - that's how I figured this stuff out myself, after all.

I am kinda confused on this whole thing.

itschris

Hey guys, how do you dump an eShop game into a CIA file? Is it possible in the hourglass9 menu? I see there's an option to dump a game cartridge to CIA.

I decided to try and figure this out. It turns out you can convert your installed eShop games to .CIA files with Hourglass9. Here are the instructions, thanks to Temptress Cerise over at GBATemp:

Temptress Cerise said:
1. Open up Hourglass9 -> Miscellaneous Options -> SysNAND title to CIA or EmuNAND title to CIA (depending on which NAND the 3DS game was tied to)
2. Use the arrow keys (right-left and down-up) and find the title ID for your game.
I'll use Pokemon Moon as an example, which the title id is: 0004000000175E00 - it'll be displayed in Hourglass9 as /title/00040000/00175E00
3. Once you've found and selected the folder that matched the title ID for your game, press A.
4. It will now attempt to build the CIA

The .CIA will be in the files9 folder on your SD card.

The hardest part is figuring out the Title ID for the game you want to dump, but FBI makes that easy. Just start up FBI, choose "Titles", wait for the list to populate, then scroll to the game you want and it will list its Title ID on the top screen. I tested this myself and extracted Super Mario Land successfully.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. It got me pointed in the right direction and I have everything working perfectly.

You're welcome!

Is there anything I need to do to have memory cards work correctly in the PCSX Rearmed core?

The PSX game I'm playing saves without error, but loading says that there is no data on the memory card?

edit: using 1.3.6 not 1.4.0 fixed it

Arthos

Was able to fix my problem and recover from my NAND. Turns out that by updating the 3DS with the use of a game (I used Code of Princess to get 4.1) I'm able to use the browser again as well as D9.

I might just do homebrew and leave the rest for later at this point.

Was able to fix my problem and recover from my NAND. Turns out that by updating the 3DS with the use of a game (I used Code of Princess to get 4.1) I'm able to use the browser again as well as D9.

I might just do homebrew and leave the rest for later at this point.

You're using an O3DS then ? Upgrading from 2.1 on a cart/internet on a N3DS will brick it.

I also don't understand what's going on with your problem. Card Updates don't update the browser, the older ones leave it unchanged and the newer ones (post 9.2) stub it. If your browser worked after upgrading from a card it wasn't the browser causing the issue (at least not directly).

homebrew launcher is for launching homebrew, but most if not all popular homebrew also have cia versions

Luma menu is for changing some cfw settings

The Luma Updater app is for keeping Luma up to date. It was broken last time I looked though due to the account being hacked and not having been updated for the new dev build locations.

Ahhhh Ok thanks for the clarification.

So if I had everything I needed from the homebrew launcher in the form of CIAs installed on the home screen, I could just delete the homebrew launcher app yes?

So followed the 3ds.guide and got A9HL and Luma on my N3DS so my DS flashcart works again. Not all is perfect though. Is anyone else's Homebrew Launcher super flaky? It doesn't launch half the time, and when it does I can't get back into Decrypt9. Any ideas what it could be?

Ahhhh Ok thanks for the clarification.

So if I had everything I needed from the homebrew launcher in the form of CIAs installed on the home screen, I could just delete the homebrew launcher app yes?

You could but I'd recommend against it, having an extra avenue to recover through if something goes wrong is never a bad thing, just hide it off screen or in a folder at the far corner or something if it bothers you.

So followed the 3ds.guide and got A9HL and Luma on my N3DS so my DS flashcart works again. Not all is perfect though. Is anyone else's Homebrew Launcher super flaky? It doesn't launch half the time, and when it does I can't get back into Decrypt9. Any ideas what it could be?

Sounds like you have a payload issue , have you fully updated to the latest firmware ? If so you may have a corrupted payload, hold down the X button after launching the CIA , that will redownload the payload.

Also make sure you're using the latest Homebrew Launcher setup which I believe is the 2.8 beta pack from here ( https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip ) , same deal as the original starter pack you installed from the guide (put the contents of the zip into the root of the SD card and overwrite existing stuff).

epmode

Thanks guys, was able to use the luma/payload method to launch Decrypt9 finally. Now gotta figure out how to dump my carts with their saves intact.

It's easy. Dump cartridge to CIA, use FBI to install and delete the CIA, launch the newly installed game to initialize its save file, quit the game, load up the CIA version of JKSM, export the save files from the cartridge, then use JKSM to import them into the SD card version of the same game.

It's easy. Dump cartridge to CIA, use FBI to install and delete the CIA, launch the newly installed game to initialize its save file, quit the game, load up the CIA version of JKSM, export the save files from the cartridge, then use JKSM to import them into the SD card version of the same game.

Ah, knew I needed an app other than Decrypt9 to do this. Sounds simple enough. Thanks!

Arthos

You're using an O3DS then ? Upgrading from 2.1 on a cart/internet on a N3DS will brick it.

I also don't understand what's going on with your problem. Card Updates don't update the browser, the older ones leave it unchanged and the newer ones (post 9.2) stub it. If your browser worked after upgrading from a card it wasn't the browser causing the issue (at least not directly).

I'm using a New 3DS. It didn't end up bricking it. Someone had linked me a guide for those using a N3DS on 2.1 with a non functioning browser and it ended up working. To be honest, the whole thing made no sense.

And the browser just magically worked again when I updated. It makes little sense how it didn't work on 2.1 and then did on 4.1. The strangest part is that I followed the guide. Something else that struck me as weird was the formatting. I tried formatting to see if it would do anything (I was going to get someone to hardmod it so bricking wasn't a concern) and the formatting just stayed stuck on the screen for the 3 hours I left it alone. I ended up just turning off the 3DS at that point. I'm just glad it started working again.

My 3DS charging port is a little flabby, it seems. I first thought it was the charger but it works perfectly with another 3ds. Is there a workaround for this? It charges normally on flat surface but it if I move it a little to the left it stops charging.

Save Data Transfer tool on the eshop can move a save file too

I'm using a New 3DS. It didn't end up bricking it. Someone had linked me a guide for those using a N3DS on 2.1 with a non functioning browser and it ended up working. To be honest, the whole thing made no sense.

And the browser just magically worked again when I updated. It makes little sense how it didn't work on 2.1 and then did on 4.1. The strangest part is that I followed the guide. Something else that struck me as weird was the formatting. I tried formatting to see if it would do anything (I was going to get someone to hardmod it so bricking wasn't a concern) and the formatting just stayed stuck on the screen for the 3 hours I left it alone. I ended up just turning off the 3DS at that point. I'm just glad it started working again.

None of this makes sense. The 2.1 system software had to be specially patched to run on a N3DS , there is no N3DS version below like 9.0 for N3DS to be on a card. I'm deeply impressed by whatever the heck happened to your system.

Arthos

None of this makes sense. The 2.1 system software had to be specially patched to run on a N3DS , there is no N3DS version below like 9.0 for N3DS to be on a card. I'm deeply impressed by whatever the heck happened to your system.

I'm just as confused as you are. The browser thing was already weird. Like, no one had heard of that issue when I asked around on the Discord channel. I don't know how I was able to update. I just know that I used Code of Princess to reach 4.1. The whole formatting thing not being done in 3 hours was also strange, as was the fact that my N3DS didn't get bricked.

Also, question: so the guide starts out with installing homebrew and ends with Luma. What's the difference between the two? Don't they both install games?

I'm just as confused as you are. The browser thing was already weird. Like, no one had heard of that issue when I asked around on the Discord channel. I don't know how I was able to update. I just know that I used Code of Princess to reach 4.1. The whole formatting thing not being done in 3 hours was also strange, as was the fact that my N3DS didn't get bricked.

Also, question: so the guide starts out with installing homebrew and ends with Luma. What's the difference between the two? Don't they both install games?

No. Homebrew just lets you run 3dsx files , which are compiled especially for it. CFW lets you remove the signing checks to install and run stuff as if it was a 3DS application (and provides hooks for them to do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible like dump all your saves).

n64coder

Why buy a 9.2?

It doesn't matter anymore. CFW can be installed on 9.2 or he can upgrade to 11.2 and do the install. The only question is whether that's a good price for a New 3DS XL? I think it's on the high side so if you can haggle him down to $150, then I would do the deal.

Does anyone here use a 200 GB Micro SD?

I just purchased one, formatted as FAT32, transferred contents from the 128 GB to the 200 GB and the 3DS says "Could not detect a microSD card". What's the deal?

Madao

i believe cards above 64GB start behaving oddly. also, high performance cards cause problems too. i had to use a worse SD card on my o3DS at one point because i bought one that was too good for it and it didn't work correctly.

i've settled for 64GB micro SD cards without problems. i got the Samsung green cards that have 80MB/s read and 20MB/s write speed. better cards get in the problematic territory (the card that caused me problems was 90MB/s read and write)

i believe cards above 64GB start behaving oddly. also, high performance cards cause problems too. i had to use a worse SD card on my o3DS at one point because i bought one that was too good for it and it didn't work correctly.

i've settled for 64GB micro SD cards without problems. i got the Samsung green cards that have 80MB/s read and 20MB/s write speed. better cards get in the problematic territory (the card that caused me problems was 90MB/s read and write)

So I can't use my 200 GB Micro SD card at all? How will this work on Switch then as well?

I've said it many times before, anything above 32GB behaves oddly (slower load and momentary freezes). And I don't have any problem using my fastest 32GB card (SanDisk Extreme Plus).

So I can't use my 200 GB Micro SD card at all? How will this work on Switch then as well?

Switch is not a 3DS? :p

3DS officially only supports SDHC
Switch officially supports SDXC

It does depend on the card. I've been using 128GB high performance SanDisk cards for about 6 months now and they work well (with a slight delay on start up).

I had a horrible time with high performance cards at the beginning of 2015, those would often drop out in the middle of being read (too much heat / power draw maybe ?)

It does depend on the card. I've been using 128GB high performance SanDisk cards for about 6 months now and they work well (with a slight delay on start up).

I had a horrible time with high performance cards at the beginning of 2015, those would often drop out in the middle of being read (too much heat / power draw maybe ?)

I've used 128GB card and so did the person who asked the question. But his 200GB is not working.

I've used 128GB card and so did the person who asked the question. But his 200GB is not working.

There's no reason in theory a 256 GB wouldn't work, the SDXC standard makes no distinction there. It may just be related to the power/thermal draw for that card and a different one may work, but since 256 GB cards are freaking expensive I'm sympathetic to not wanting to systematically test that, it's also possible to that 256GB cards can't be provided enough whatever from the 3DS.

womp

My 128gb card flaked out on me after I had flipped over to A9LH with the release of Soundhax. I bought it back in August to mod my N3DS with Menuhax and it ran fine up until that point.

I have since exchanged the card (<3 Microcenter return policy) however I am sticking with 64gb from now on. That said, I notice a difference in overall speed between the two size cards just browsing around my home screen.

My 128gb card flaked out on me after I had flipped over to A9LH with the release of Soundhax. I bought it back in August to mod my N3DS with Menuhax and it ran fine up until that point.

I have since exchanged the card (<3 Microcenter return policy) however I am sticking with 64gb from now on. That said, I notice a difference in overall speed between the two size cards just browsing around my home screen.

Yeah larger cards will be slightly slower for anything that's performing a full scan (eg looking for installed titles), it's just the nature of the thing and the 3DS doesn't support any of the high speed reading from SDXC so you can't compensate with that.

So if I own 2 3dses whats the best way to hack the second one? Do i need to go through all the steps again or can I just make a copy of the SD card from the one that's already hacked?

Top Bottom