• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

I've said it many times before, anything above 32GB behaves oddly (slower load and momentary freezes). And I don't have any problem using my fastest 32GB card (SanDisk Extreme Plus).

I've noticed no difference at all between the included 4 GB microSD with the 3DS and my 64 GB Sandisk Ultra.

Switch is not a 3DS? :p

3DS officially only supports SDHC
Switch officially supports SDXC

The hardware spec between SDHC and SDXC has not changed. The only difference is that SDXC only officially supports exFAT as the file system, which the 3DS cannot read. That's why an SDXC works in 3DS when you format it as FAT32. If there was any difference in the hardware spec, this would not be a workable solution.

I've noticed no difference at all between the included 4 GB microSD with the 3DS and my 64 GB Sandisk Ultra.

Try measuring the difference in system boot time and game load time using a stop watch. I did that while testing several cards, and there were significant difference between 32, 64 and 128GB times (the larger the card the slower, contrary to their rated and measured speed on other devices and PC).

The hardware spec between SDHC and SDXC has not changed. The only difference is that SDXC only officially supports exFAT as the file system, which the 3DS cannot read. That's why an SDXC works in 3DS when you format it as FAT32. If there was any difference in the hardware spec, this would not be a workable solution.

Maybe the issue lies in FAT32 not being very good at handling volumes larger than 32GB, which sounds plausible since it's the maximum Microsoft (the creator of FAT32) supports it at.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. SDXC is a new hardware spec it just has mandated backwards compatible mode with SDHC which is why they work in the 3DS. The exFAT default is because FAT32 has an official maximum of 32 GB , you can technically format larger (up to 128 GB for 32k clusters and 256 for 64 k clusters) but they aren't official.

Edit - No, I'm only partially correct on the first bit, it's that pretty much all SDXC cards use Speed Class standards that aren't used by SDHC but backwards compatibity is officially mandated.

SDXC allows for higher speed tiers than SDHC did but the hardware spec didn't change. You do need faster eMMC controllers to support the higher speed tiers of SDXC though, so any SDXC card faster than Class 1 UHS (same as Class 10 SDHC) cannot run faster than Class 1 (10) speeds in an SDHC environment.

SDXC allows for higher speed tiers than SDHC did but the hardware spec didn't change. You do need faster eMMC controllers to support the higher speed tiers of SDXC though, so any SDXC card faster than Class 1 UHS (same as Class 10 SDHC) cannot run faster than Class 1 (10) speeds in an SDHC environment.

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

The exFAT default is because FAT32 has an official maximum of 32 GB , you can technically format larger (up to 128 GB for 32k clusters and 256 for 64 k clusters) but they aren't official.

Maybe cluster size is why the above mentioned 200GB card didn't work? Someone can try formatting a 128GB or smaller card to FAT32 with cluster size other than 32k and see if it works. If it doesn't work then that points to maybe cluster size needs to be 32k?

Maybe cluster size is why the above mentioned 200GB card didn't work? Someone can try formatting a 128GB or smaller card to FAT32 with cluster size other than 32k and see if it works. If it doesn't work then that points to that maybe cluster size needs to be 32k?

It'd be the opposite (cards over 128 GB would need to be 64 k*) but yeah 64 k clusters do work for 128 and less cards, I've done it before while I was having card problems and it reads fine, etc.

* FAT32 has a specificied cluster limit not a size limit so 64 k Clusters double the potential maximum size compared to 32k.

It's looking more like a fake/faulty SD card. People on GBATemp are using the same card I ordered. Here's what I've tried so far

1. Tried 32KB cluster Quick Format and moved contents from 128 GB to 200 GB - Didn't work
2. Tried 64KB cluster Quick Format and moved contents from 128 GB to 200 GB - Didn't work
3. Trying 64KB cluster Full Format now.

It's looking more like a fake/faulty SD card. People on GBATemp are using the same card I ordered. Here's what I've tried so far

1. Tried 32KB cluster Quick Format and moved contents from 128 GB to 200 GB - Didn't work
2. Tried 64KB cluster Quick Format and moved contents from 128 GB to 200 GB - Didn't work

If you have Android phone/tablet with sd card slot you can use this app to check if the card is fake: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I finally hacked my spare n3DS (I bought a second just to play Pokemon with my daughter but it's annoying that she uses the primary one with all my ambassador games and eshop stuff..). Don't particularly want to hack that one and dump the games though

Anyhoo - what are the best emulators in terms of performance and ease of use? Mainly thinking SNES/GBA and arcade. It's an n3DS in case any of the emulators can use the better performance

And are there any GBC emulators? I have a dusty old copy of Wings of Fury which I'd like to re-play (although it's probably shit now)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So I finally hacked my spare n3DS (I bought a second just to play Pokemon with my daughter but it's annoying that she uses the primary one with all my ambassador games and eshop stuff..). Don't particularly want to hack that one and dump the games though

Anyhoo - what are the best emulators in terms of performance and ease of use? Mainly thinking SNES/GBA and arcade. It's an n3DS in case any of the emulators can use the better performance

And are there any GBC emulators? I have a dusty old copy of Wings of Fury which I'd like to re-play (although it's probably shit now)

i think you can use retroarch ..
i got gb gbc gba sms gen nes snes neogeo ngp turbo16 running perfect..

I like using the official VC containers and injecting the games into them. Seeing SNES games on my home screen that look like official VC releases even though I know Nintendo will never release them is awesome.

The downside is a few games like SMRPG, Star Ocean and Dragon Quest 3 don't work.

pHand

SanDisk 200GB, correct? I had similar issues, despite everyone insisting that all you had to do was copy and paste the files over. I finally got it working by following the directions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4fbapu/tutorial_how_to_upgrade_to_a_bigger_sd_card_with/

The gist of it is to use EMUNAND9 to format the new SD card.

womp

Is this the best option? I always found retroarch tricky to set up so I tend to give up halfway. Let's see if I can persevere

No, the Ultimate Injectors that are based on the official Virtual Console releases are the way to go really IMO. Give them a Google. You will be assured the best emulation on the system...however it is limited to the systems already present on the VC.

GB, GBA, NES, SNES and Genesis are shoe ins....TG16 I've had iffy times with however...

And yeah, not a fan of Retroarch myself. You need a MENSA membership to configure that thing properly. :p

No, the Ultimate Injectors that are based on the official Virtual Console releases are the way to go really IMO. Give them a Google. You will be assured the best emulation on the system...however it is limited to the systems already present on the VC.

GB, GBA, NES, SNES and Genesis are shoe ins....TG16 I've had iffy times with however...

And yeah, not a fan of Retroarch myself. You need a MENSA membership to configure that thing properly. :p

I definitely recommend VC over Retroarch where it works (which is most things on the platforms supported) but Retroarch isn't that bad. That or I've been broken by far too many years dealing with software configuration on PCs.

Glad I'm not alone, ALWAYS have had trouble with retroarch, hard locks, rom incompatibility and just general bad performance. I appreciate that it's trying to do everything and if it worked acceptably it would be an absolute marvel, just seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

So I followed the guide exactly as it said, everything seems good.. except I'm not clear on if I now have a CFW running or if that's an additional step that the guide doesn't cover?

My understanding was that the whole guide was to get it exploitable to put CFW on, but I never saw any mention on actual CFW variations.

Also, when I try to run FBI through the Homebrew Launcher, I get an error saying that I need to create a kernel backdoor. Shouldn't that just work after following the guide?

flowsnake

So I followed the guide exactly as it said, everything seems good.. except I'm not clear on if I now have a CFW running or if that's an additional step that the guide doesn't cover?

My understanding was that the whole guide was to get it exploitable to put CFW on, but I never saw any mention on actual CFW variations.

Also, when I try to run FBI through the Homebrew Launcher, I get an error saying that I need to create a kernel backdoor. Shouldn't that just work after following the guide?

Luma is CFW, and you now have it installed. That's what arm9loaderhax.bin is.

The basic variations from official firmware would be things like region locking being disabled and the ability to install CIAs (e.g ones you dumped from game carts or homebrew). More interesting things are out of the scope of the guide, but you can see a list of homebrew to install inside FBI, or just look around.

Why open FBI that way? You shouldn't need the homebrew channel 99% of the time for anything. I'm not sure why you can't, but I've never had any reason to try.

Does anyone here use a 200 GB Micro SD?

I just purchased one, formatted as FAT32, transferred contents from the 128 GB to the 200 GB and the 3DS says "Could not detect a microSD card". What's the deal?

I have four of them and what I've found is that some older MicroSD to USB adapters do not like SDXC cards. They might report them to the OS and look normal but you'll run into bizarre issues like transfers failing.

I try to exclusively use an SDXC-USB adapter when dealing with them. So you might need to buy something new for that if you don't already have it. It doesn't happen for all older adapters (the multi-card unit I have built into my PC seems to work fine) but I've seen it on enough that I don't really trust them with SDXC.

For formatting I would recommend using Rufus to format, turn off the bootable disk & extended icon options, and leave everything else at default. Don't touch the cluster sizes, it will choose a good option for you and if you choose something too small you'll get severe performance issues.

Luma is CFW, and you now have it installed. That's what arm9loaderhax.bin is.

The basic variations from official firmware would be things like region locking being disabled and the ability to install CIAs (e.g ones you dumped from game carts or homebrew). More interesting things are out of the scope of the guide, but you can see a list of homebrew to install inside FBI, or just look around.

Why open FBI that way? You shouldn't need the homebrew channel 99% of the time for anything. I'm not sure why you can't, but I've never had any reason to try.

Thanks, I thought that's what Luma was but wasn't certain. So would I need to get to that Luma boot menu to install games I've dumped or homebrew apps?

Fauve

Hey guys, so in an attempt to swap out the music on Dragon Quest 8, I managed to get the CFW by following 3ds.guide. Unfortunately when I went to dump my cart I found that I don't have enough space on my SD card (I've never upgraded from the one that came with it). I was wondering how would I go about upgrading to a new card while keeping everything (save data, CFW, etc)?

Hey guys, so in an attempt to swap out the music on Dragon Quest 8, I managed to get the CFW by following 3ds.guide. Unfortunately when I went to dump my cart I found that I don't have enough space on my SD card (I've never upgraded from the one that came with it). I was wondering how would I go about upgrading to a new card while keeping everything (save data, CFW, etc)?

It should be a simple copy and paste situation. Look up upgrading microSD card sizes on 3DS.

Switching SD only requires extra steps if you're running from emunand/rednand. That comes in the form of a hidden partition, so it would take some extra steps to copy that.

The basic variations from official firmware would be things like region locking being disabled
Really? How does this work? I'm on Luna and (perhaps stupidly) still using HANS to run Japanese games.

edit: just tried it! Nice. There's still one game I have to use HANS for though. :/

So if I have a CFW N3DS that already has all my CIAs installed and saves, what would be the best way to transfer everything there to another N3DS that is not CFW (but I do want to CFW it)?

I put CFW on my Dual TN N3DS, but decided I'd rather use my Dual IPS N3DS still. I know I can only have my account on one 3DS at any one time. I'm planning on selling the Dual TN N3DS. I want to make sure I transfer all my games and saves over.

So if I have a CFW N3DS that already has all my CIAs installed and saves, what would be the best way to transfer everything there to another N3DS that is not CFW (but I do want to CFW it)?

I put CFW on my Dual TN N3DS, but decided I'd rather use my Dual IPS N3DS still. I know I can only have my account on one 3DS at any one time. I'm planning on selling the Dual TN N3DS. I want to make sure I transfer all my games and saves over.

As far as I know there is no easy way to transfer installed CIAs, you'll need to reinstall them on the second 3DS.

This is how I do it:

1. Put CFW on TN 3DS
3. Back up all saves for CIA installed games using JKSM on IPS 3DS
2. System Transfer from TN to IPS (this will move your account, all eShop bought games and their saves).
3. Reinstall missing CIAs
4. Restore their saves using JKSM
5. Sell your TN 3DS
6. Profit

As far as I know there is no easy way to transfer installed CIAs, you'll need to reinstall them on the second 3DS.

This is how I do it:

1. Put CFW on TN 3DS
3. Back up all saves for CIA installed games using JKSM on IPS 3DS
2. System Transfer from TN to IPS (this will move your account, all eShop bought games and their saves).
3. Reinstall missing CIAs
4. Restore their saves using JKSM
5. Sell your TN 3DS
6. Profit

Thank you so much! Never heard of JKSM until now.

Antifaith

Neo Member
I've been following this guide and everything seemed to go well, but now I'm unable to install arm9loaderhax, always get the "payload_stage1.bin doesn't exist or exceeds max size" Error. what do?

When I got this error, it was because I didn't rename one of the files correctly.

r_x2

When I got this error, it was because I didn't rename one of the files correctly.

renamed the following:
otherapp payload to otherapp.bin
decrypt9wip.bin to safehaxpayload.bin
and Hourglass9.bin to start_Hourglass9.bin
don't think I missed something. doesn't work

flowsnake

I've been following this guide and everything seemed to go well, but now I'm unable to install arm9loaderhax, always get the "payload_stage1.bin doesn't exist or exceeds max size" Error. what do?

Well, does it exist? It should be in the "a9lh" folder on the SD card.

Lettuce

Whats the usual meaning of the 3ds hang on the Nintendo 3DS logo screen when loading a game?

Also havent used my 3ds in a few months, is it safe to update to the latest 3ds firmware if using Luma3DS??

Whats the usual meaning of the 3ds hang on the Nintendo 3DS logo screen when loading a game?

Also havent used my 3ds in a few months, is it safe to update to the latest 3ds firmware if using Luma3DS??
Could be wrong region, or the game you installed wasn't cryptofixed.

Load the store, find the game, and hit repair, or reinstall a decrypted/cryptofixed CIA.

Top Bottom