• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original Post

9. Mass Effect 2
30 hours
header.jpg

I didn't think when I started this series, I would fall so far in love with it. 2 is just perfection on almost every level - the story, the characters, the combat, the lore. Everything just oozed quality and love for this universe. After 30 hours and completing most of the DLC, I felt I was "done" with this part of the series. An amazing experience. 10/10

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #24 - Nights of Azure
Time: 24 hours

I really enjoyed this even tho I dont particularly think its a great game. Action rpg with simple combat (devil may cry this aint) and a cool minion system in bland empty environments, and a story out of a bad 90s anime. But at the same time, the characters are good, the story has heart (especially for dealing with a
gay relationship
, dont let the fan service of the character clothes fool you, this is actually quite subdued and cute instead of sexual), and I liked the loop of going out killing monsters to level up my skills and minions. Also its meaty content wise, lots of sidequests, multiple endings, post game content to get the true ending (which I did), so there's a lot here to enjoy if you get past the fan service and simple combat.

Main Post

Dyna

My main post.

uUrC8RH.png

06 | Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash | 3DS
12 hours | Completed Feb. 14th

This was a really, really mediocre 2D platformer with a bizarre story and frustrating game mechanics. Who the hell thought that dumb level destination wheel would be a good idea?! The vehicle levels were awful too. At first I thought the plot and the characters seemed kind of funny and charming but after the first world I really couldn't care less about any of it. The core gameplay is okay I guess and the power plug abilities weren't too bad but for every decent idea there are two bad ones. Oh yeah and the game was way too long, I was feeling burned out by the third world. Not too much to say about this one, can't recommend this to anyone really, way better platformers out there for the 3DS.

Tambini

Hjhg53A.png

#25 Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex ★★★ Xbox - Feb 14th - 4 hours
Same reason why I'm not a big fan of Crash 3, too many vehicle levels and gimmicks. The hit detection sucks as do the bosses. The few normal platforming levels are decent but look empty. Game looks quite good on the Xbox

Main post

HUHjYSH.png

06 | Ori and The Blind Forest | PC
Time: 12 hours
Score: 8/10

Ori is an audio-visual treat with a simple yet engaging storyline. The graphics are absolutely stunning and help convey the feeling of a fairytale like forest. The music is likewise fitting. The gameplay alternates between pure joy and frustration for me. I love how gradually more and more mechanics are introduced and how the puzzles become more complex. I died plenty of times on hard difficulty but the manual save system really allows for a trial & error run. Simply put Ori and the Blind Forest is the complete package and I am glad to have given it a chance.

chrismohan

Neo Member
Game 6: Yakuza Zero

The shortest 38 hour game I've ever played. Great storytelling, great interweaving of stories and great characters. The combat is the only reason I can see for not jumping straight into another Yakuza game right away. Not that the combat is bad, it's actually very good and surprisingly varied. I just don't think it would stand up to another 40 hours straight away. Can't recommend highly enough even if the story ran out of steam in the last few chapters :)

Main Post

06: Until Dawn [PS4] - 9? hrs - 02/14/2017 -★★★☆☆
Not bad, not bad. Knowing it was an "interactive movie" type game i wasnt expecting much. There were definitely some creepy moments, but all the "scares" were jump scares, so they were predictable. Even guessed the twist very early on. Game kinda jumps the shark though once they introduce the
monsters
. Animation and controls were janky as hell. Really pissed as my first playthrough ended with only 4 survivors, yet two-three died in the last 20 minutes of playing due to dumb reasons.

They did a really nice job with the cameras though. Great angles and moves. Wished more games or atleast survival horror games used this type of camera, just with different gameplay than until dawn

Overall it was a neat experience, i'll probably play this every halloween now, considering how many outcomes there are.

12. Donkey Kong Country Returns
When I played the original Donkey Kong Country, I made it a habit to roll into my enemies. I’d press the roll button, and defeat them that way. In this game, in order to roll, you need to shake the Wiimote up and down. It’s cumbersome and unresponsive. And it completely changes how I play Donkey Kong Country.

What’s funny is that this is otherwise a spot on Donkey Kong Country game. It looks like Donkey Kong Country. Rolling aside, it controls like Donkey Kong Country. It sounds like Donkey Kong Country, and it plays like Donkey Kong Country. It just doesn’t have that same roll.

Level design toward the beginning of the game is very good. Unlike the last 2D platformer I played (Klonoa), levels are less about puzzle solving and more about making it to the next platform safely. Unfortunately however, later levels are extremely difficult. Don’t be deceived by the fact that the game can be seen as a kids game… Donkey Kong Country Returns gets hard.

There’s a feature called Super Guide which basically has the game play itself if you’re struggling in a level or boss fight. I’m embarrassed about the extent to which I needed to use this feature. I think having the feature in the game gave the developers an excuse to make the game as difficult as they wanted it to be, but relying on it makes you feel like you suck at video games in the end.

There’s a lot of content here. I kept thinking I was going to come to the last area of the game only to have another area appear. They manage to get a lot of ideas in. Each level has a theme, as does each area of the game. The area dictates the entire theme (e.g. Jurassic world) whereas the level has a twist on the area’s theme. All in all, there’s a lot of variety level to level (if only they weren’t so difficult).

Aesthetically, they nailed it. Thematically as well. Even the music is great. There are just two major flaws in Donkey Kong Country Returns: it doesn’t have the same roll as Donkey Kong Country, and the game gets crazy hard in the second half. Even 2D platformer fans beware, this is a tough game to endorse.
2/5

It's too bad you didn't play the 3DS version, it has a roll button

bluexy

I failed spectacularly in keeping my post in 2016 updated, but I think it's worth the attempt again this year just to try and keep track of what I've played -- so long as I remember to keep updating.

House Rule: only games released in 2017 count for my list. Odds are it'll be tough for me to reach 52 this way, but I find it a much more interesting goal.

1. Milkmaid of the Milky Way
A fun pixel adventure game that I knew I could burn through in a day. Virtually every aspect of the game can be described as simply designed with plenty of nostalgic influence, but never particularly unique or exciting. Some of the final story beats of the game are well executed, but left underexplored. I'd describe it as a good start with the hopes of a sequel that's more willing to have fun, explore more vivid scenery, while maintaining the heartfelt aspects that kept our heroine grounded.
2. Gravity Rush 2
I finished the full story of Gravity Rush 2. I was working on all of the side-quests, but ultimately quit early on. Just too many MMO-esque fetch quests, deliveries, etc. I simply didn't enjoy a vast majority of my time with Gravity Rush 2. On paper, it's brilliant. 3D game where you control gravity to move, fight off a variety of crazy enemies, discover your character's mysterious past, and save the day. In practice, the gameplay is still super clunky, repetitive, has a ton of camera issues, has you fight the same enemies all game long, and doesn't get into a proper fulfilling story until the game is near ending. Seriously, they should have just released the final chapter of Gravity Rush 2 as DLC for the original game and cut the rest out.
3. Resident Evil 7
The first quarter of Resident Evil 7 is an outstanding return to form for Resident Evil 7 -- w/ VR or without. Basically everything from the start of the game through when you get the shotgun. Everything is super spooky, mysterious, exciting to discover, and Capcom does a great job of making the Baker family seem terrifying by really amping up the first-person camerawork. That Mia intro level, the dining room table, and the garage -- all perfect, non-typical Resident Evil gameplay that's all about mystery and horror. After that, Resident Evil becomes a derivative, uninspired semi-action horror game. The shotgun kills it -- the gameplay loops turns immediately into shoot anything threatening or run away if it's not dying fast enough. The horror relies heavily on jump-scares and the stress of inventory management/supply scarcity. The other half of the problem is, as Capcom always does, they ground the story and try to explain it with uninteresting mad science gone awry. Good god, Capcom, just let it be supernatural and unexplainable for once. Sigh. I still lean positive due to the first quarter of the game, but man the quick drop in quality is such a bummer.
4. Nioh
Finished Nioh with about 61 total hours spent in-game. I completed the story on the base difficulty, including all sub-missions except for one of the final one (I spent about 4 hours on it and decided I was fine letting it beat me so I could get in my rental). I knew I was getting into a long Dark Souls-meets-samurai type game when I started, but did not expect a Dynasty Warriors alternate history retelling of the war leading into Japan's Edo period. All things considered Nioh is a solid game, but feels like a step back in all of the areas where Dark Souls felt strongest -- atmosphere, mystery, non-traditional story-telling, and gut-rending difficulty. It did, however, build on some of my complaints regarding Dark Souls, though in rather bland ways I wouldn't recommend From to do. Nioh isn't as frustrating or stressful as Souls, but that's because Nioh isn't near as difficult or punishing. Nioh has a much stronger, cohesive story, but its story is still bad and broken into awkwardly paced and cut cinematics. And partially due to the lower difficulty, it's fun to explore every map fully and fight every enemy, but the loot you get sucks 99% of the time and collectibles/unlocks beyond Kodama are worthless. Overall, I enjoyed myself very much with Nioh. It's very inoffensive and consumable -- striking for a Souls-like -- but ultimately not better than its predecessors.
5. Hidden Folk
Been following this game for a while via @ZackBellGames and it's a dreamy little hidden item game that's great for winding down. I've got it on iPhone and every time I got a bit stressed I'd pop it open and just spend a few minutes looking through crowds for "Waldo." The big maps are pretty messy and there should really be a dozen more hidden things every map, but it's still got a ton of personality and is very well done.
6. For Honor
This is what a fighting game looks like when action game makers decide they can do something creative with the fighting game genre. As an action game, it's terrible. It has a mindless, repetitive campaign that's excessively long and adds nothing to the experience. As a fighting game, it leave a lot on the table. It's a very clever idea, using directional attacks to fight opponents in melee combat, but those action game sensibilites ruin it for me. Everything I love about fighting games, what I describe as clarity of combat, is so poorly done. Animations are awkward and uninformative. Distancing is sloppy to manage on flat ground, let alone in areas with verticality. And there's so much about combat that's just broken in general. Again, action game sensibilities in a fighting game. I really can't stand For Honor.
-- Sort the Court - Intermission to play this fun indie from @Graebor after seeing a recommendation on @Waypoint. Great fun. I like it more than Reigns! Ending was pretty sudden and I kinda left disappointed as a result.
7. Night in the Woods
By far my favorite game yet in 2017. It's hipster as fuck, but virtually every bit of dialogue between Mae and the various citizenry of Possum Springs feels fluid and emotive. It's not necessarily natural dialogue, but it's like a waterslide. You just get on and let it lead you where it's going, enjoying it for what it is. It's through the dialogue, supplemented by the spectacularly animated art, that I fell in love with pretty much every character in Night in the Woods. They're not all good people. You won't "get" everyone, even your best friends (there's just not enough days ;), but you're all just fuckin' doing your best and hey, who knows what tomorrow will bring. I legit can't stop thinking about the game's mysteries, but not in a whodunnit kinda way. More in just trying to understand motivation, metaphor and meaning kinda way. I love this feeling -- like I just care so much about the game and it feels real nice.
8. Halo Wars 2
Halo Wars got Evolve'd. Straight off the bat -- Halo Wars 2 should have been free to play. The only redeeming quality of the campaign is that it's tied into Halo 6. It's otherwise completely forgettable -- half a campaign, really, because it goes nowhere. And it's tied into levelling and rewarding cardpacks which seriously -- I'm fucking just trying to play a campaign here. The main multiplayer mode is monetization hell. You collect cards, level units a la Clash Royale, take your deck into multiplayer to fight completely unbalanced shitfest battles. Like, I can't event tell if the core gameplay is good in this game because every mode available is low effort, boring, completely uncompelling nonesense. This is a SIXTY DOLLAR GAME. Guh. Still better than For Honor.
9. Horizon: Zero Dawn
10. 1 2 Switch
11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
12. Fire Emblem Heroes

In Progress:
Holllow Knight - I got about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way prior to Horizon arriving, but then got sidetracked with the Switch launch. I'm planning on going back to finish, but I don't know when.
Nier: Automata - Just arrived in the mail. Hoping to play through it between now and Mass Effect: Andromeda's launch.

Unfinished:
Dandy Dungeon - Ugh, I can't even stand playing Fire Emblem Heroes, why did I think a second shitty mobile game was in my best interests? Done and done.
Bleed 2 - Probably going to have to set this one aside for now. Not sure if it's going to come back or not.

Backlog Priority:
1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
2. Yakuza 0
3. Torment: Tides of Numenara
4. Ys Origin
5. Double Dragon IV
6. Husk

Upcoming in March - Chance of playing:
Mass Effect: Andromeda - 100%
Thimbleweed Park - 100%
Strafe 40%
Has-Been Heroes - 10%
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 / 2.5 Remix - 5%
PaRappa the Rapper Remastered - 5%

septicore

OP

Game 07: The Room (PC) 17/01/17 - 18/01/17 2.5 Hours
I played The Room on an Android device like a long time ago but this time I'm replaying it on Steam because almost all games are better on PC. Since The Room two got released on Steam and The Room three got released not long ago on mobile devices, I thought it would be a good time to get back into the trilogy of The Room and play them.

Game 08: Bulb Boy (Android) 31/01/17 - 01/02/17
What a lovely game, I loved it so much. A point and click adventure game but everything about the game is gross, disgusting and horrifying in a good way. I found it pretty fun and enjoyable to play.

Game 09: PsyCard (Android) 04/02/17 - 04/02/17
Psycard is s mindsweeper-like game with nice beautiful art style. The art reminds me of Little Dew and Card City Nights and I believe they used the same artist for those games. I found the game too frustrating to play, maybe I'm just terrible or its just bad luck but I kept losing because it always gave me Red Skulls on my 1st turn too many times in a row which caused me to lose. I at least finished the game in 1 sitting but I wanted it done and over with.

Game 10: The Room Two (PC) 26/01/17 - 15/02/17 2.4 Hours
The same reason I played the first The Room game because I want to play them in order and get ready for the third game in the trilogy series.

Shadax84

Neo Member
7. Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach - 3 Hours
3029-duke-caribbean-life-s-a-beach-dos-front-cover.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completed on: 13/2/2017
Rating: 2 / 10
Add-On for Duke 3D, really bad Level Design, "funny" Gameplay that isn't funny at all.

Up Next: Metroid Prime 2 (GC), Assassins Creed Syndicate (PC), GTA V (PC)

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

XtoSXfK.jpg

Nintendo 2DS

My first Pokemon game in quite a while, and the start of my progression to Sun/Moon. Very much more of the same Pokemon formula and not much to add over the many, many reviews and opinions already flying around the interwebz. What does this one have over previous titles? Flaming freaking karate monkey...
7/10

Main post

-------

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 4 hours
Oh, 00's, age of shitty PS2 ports on PC. Instead of porting X360 version, Disney released this abomination on PC and still selling it for 20$ almost 10 years later after release. Horrible controls, ugly as sin engine, repetitive gameplay and simply bad design overall. I forced myself to finish this one only because i needed more games to this list and it was painful, but short experience. Can't recommend this garbage even for die-hard movie fans.

Karu

OP --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228658856&postcount=553

8. Yakuza 0
32:59 Hours
Incredible game. The story is amazing, one of my favourites in the entire medium. While the combat is serviceable, the presentation and music are beyond hype and underline the style and confidence of the game. There is some creepy shit in here, which is luckily easy to ignore. Way better than my already pretty high expectations set by other Yakuza fans. Can't wait for Kiwami.
5/5

Shadax84

Neo Member
8. Metroid Prime 2 - Echoes - 30 Hours
250px-Echoesboxart_(Large).jpg

Platform: Gamecube (Emulation on PC)
Completed on: 15/2/2017
Rating: 9/10
This is even better than the first Prime game! Although the endgame with the sky temple keys felt a bit boring, the rest of the game is outstanding. Weapons, gameplay, movement, everything works out fine in this game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #25 - Song Of The Deep
Time: 9 hours

Finished with all upgrades but I missed 2 items (the super versions of 2 of the weapons), 9 hours so decent lenght for the genre (how long to beat had it at 6 for the story but I did a fair bit of exploring for items as usual in these games, those 6 hours must be really rushing). Anyway its a great game, game play is good with great level design, combat feels nice once you get all your tools, except for one particular enemy that shows up late in the game, and the physic-y nature of the game sometimes is a little cumbersome, but overall it plays great. It also looks fantastic with a ton of great depth of field effects. All in all a very worthwhile metroidvania (yes Ill continue to call them that).

header.jpg

Game #26 - They Breathe
Time: 30 minutes

Err... what? So I didnt like They Breathe at all, and baffled by the critical acclaim it has, I thought I was missing some deep metaphor the game was trying to tell or something, but no, even the devs say its just what you see, some weird ass alien thing is taking over frogs. For something touted as a horror game and a deep experience, im here left scratching my head because I played a 30min simple game to collect bubbles while avoiding enemies, and that was it, it did nothing for me, neither did it creep me out, left me wondering, or even satisfied me with gameplay. Huge dud imo :/

Main Post

bluexy

This sounds extremely hard on the wallet.

It's definitely what killed my run last year, haha. I'm back on the GameFly wagon again, which makes it a lot easier. Can pretty much burn through a game a week, get new games within a day or two of launch. That only really leaves PC-only games and digital-only games, which I can generally find at much more affordable prices than console games.

dickroach

wKLjXYk.jpg
CAVxwUB.jpg

just wrapped both these up tonight. Professor Layton kind of dragged on, but it was still good, and I'm definitely interested in getting Azran Legacy... but I'm all puzzled out for now. and handheld'd out. er beat a Mega Man game in my life. I need some quick and action-y.

OP

Aquova

Game 10: Comix Zone

System: Sega Genesis
Year: 1995
Developer: Sega

Overview
Comix Zone was chosen as the Sega Genesis Game of the Month for February; a fact I was very excited about. I picked up Comix Zone a few years ago, and while I immediately appreciated its uniqueness, I never played much of it. Now having a excuse to come back to it, I can really appreciate the game in its full glory. You play as Sketch Turner, a comic book artist who has been transported into his own comic book. You then have to fight through the pages to free yourself and discover the evil at work.

Gameplay
The game is a beat-um-up, where Sketch fights through several different enemies to reach the bottom of the comic book page. The level is broken into panels, like a real comic book, and after clearing the panel, Sketch leaps over the white-space into the next panel. Enemies are drawn in, you can rip off parts of the page to throw at enemies, your pet rat can rip off sections to reveal items, everything is incredibly unique.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Great visuals. The comic-book style is one of the best aesthetics on the Genesis. The drawn in enemies, and hand-drawn-style backgrounds are outstanding.
  • Great controls. Sketch controls very well, combos are easy to do, and very intuitive. However, there is also a hidden layer of depth, such as grabbing, which are difficult to master.
  • Great humor. Sketch is aware that everything around him is fiction, and his reactions to the outlandish environments can be very funny. Dialogue appears via speech bubbles, a very clever way to deliver information while staying true to the source.

Cons:
  • Destroying objects takes your health. In a game with only one life, every bit of health counts, and having to waste a fair amount of it to simply open the door to move on is a bit obnoxious.
  • It's short. The game is difficult, and only gives you one life to start, which elongates its play time. That being said, only having 6 levels makes the game not too difficult to finish. If you know what you're doing, the game can be easily finished in 30 minutes or so.

Rating

Excellent

This game is phenomenal. If you are interested in the best of what the Sega Genesis has to offer, or even all of 16-bit games, then look no further. This game is one of the best comic book games, and one of the best 2D games I've ever played.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider : I loved the reboot when I played through it on PS4 and I expected this to be more of the same but more refined. Turns out they just dialed everything up to 11. More tombs (yay), more puzzles (yay), more gunfights (boo), more collectibles (boo), more weapons (boo), and more abilities. It was so extreme that I gave up caring about abilities and weapon upgrades and only grabbed collectibles that were on my path. The level design is beautiful and exploring was great. But I was glad to make it to the end of a fairly lacklustre story.

rahji

Game 7: SUPERHOT - 4 hours

Really good shooter with cool mechanics. Campaign was really short, but nonetheless quite good. After the campaign there are a lot of optional challenges which I only completed to some extent. If the game would be longer, the time mechanic gets boring fast. At least that is what I am experiencing in the challenges.

Coming up next: Bayonetta, Syberia or Lords of the Fallen

Aquova

Game 11: Kirby's Dream Land

System: Game Boy
Year: 1992
Developer: HAL Laboratory

Overview
I'm gonna be honest with you. It's like midnight, I had about a half hour to kill before I went to bed, so I decided to try out the first Kirby game. I knew that he didn't have the copy ability yet, but I was still surprised to see how short the game is. There are only 5 levels, and unlike Kirby's Adventure and later games, I mean only 5 levels. Not 5 worlds, levels. It's really short. I'm tired and played horribly, but still managed to beat it without getting a game over.

Gameplay
Do you ever play a newer Kirby game, and instead of swallowing an enemy, you spit them at another enemy and feel smug about your dominance over these feeble creatures? Well that's how the entire game plays. You don't have any copy abilities, you can only suck and spit out enemies, and puff up into a balloon. I was surprised to see how many signature Kirby elements are in this game though. All of the most iconic music was here, as well as most of the common enemies. Four out of the five battles are used in later Kirby games, including the final boss against DeDeDe (which becomes the boss of the easiest game in Kirby Super Star).

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • The game looks, sounds, and plays like all the later Kirby games. The series wasted no time in hitting its stride, and I had no issues adapting to the earlier title, unlike some other series.
  • Some interesting and unique powerups. While most of the game is familiar to people who have played Kirby's Adventure or Super Star, there were two things that stood out to me as being unique. Firstly was the spicy curry, which gives Kirby the ability to spit fireballs. I can see how this became redundant in later games, but it was interesting to see an item that wouldn't be used later. Another was the ability to continually float and spit out air, which was used very well in the third and best boss fight of the game. It was a neat mechanic, and one that the series has used a few times, but not in the same way.

Cons:
  • It's really short. Even for a Game Boy game, being able to finish the game on my first try in 30 minutes is pretty ridiculous. Compare this to Pokemon, Zelda, or Metroid who had long, in-depth handheld adventures that felt like a worthwhile entry, this game falls flat. I understand that this was the first game in the series, but if I had purchased the game back then, I don't think I would be too pleased.

Rating

Below Average

The game is fun, cheerful, and even made me laugh once or twice, but it's the length that really drops the score for me. I do appreciate how they added a hard mode, but it's just more aggressive enemies in the same short levels. If you are a fan of Kirby, I would recommend trying out the game, it's a good time while it lasts, but there is a reason the NES game is more often remembered as the origin of the series.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Tizoc

header.jpg

This is a Metroid-like game (not Metroidvania, I mean the OG Metroid, there are no RPG elements here for one thing). You explore a section of an alien world where a research team had gone MIA. As you progress through the areas you obtain abilities that help you continue through previously inaccessable paths.
While it's core concept and gameplay is fine there are various elements that made the late game pretty irritating
1- The map does not mark any points of interest, so you could wander for a good 5 or so minutes until you find the proper path or location you need to go to.
2- Some later enemies are irritating to kill like the flying monsters. While they go down in 1 or 2 hits, their movement pattern makes hitting them tricky

Non the less despite these flaws I recommend playing it. Gives off a ye olde Metroind/ 80s~90s game feel.

Mega

Banned
I haven't been doing these separate posts so I'll include my last few games from February in this one.

Original post

11. Bonk's Adventure (Gameboy)
A couple of weeks ago I got a GB Boy Colour (GBC clone with a nice backlit screen). I have backlit-modded GBs/GBAs but I like the quirkiness of this clone, plus it's solid for only about $30, so I used it to play this Bonk game tonight. I blew through it in a little over an hour. It's basically a simpler, somewhat similar version of the Bonk 1 you can find on PC Engine or NES. It doesn't have all the same stages or bosses but many shared elements. Easy overall but I liked it well enough to play while watching TV!

12. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
One of those games I always started and stopped after a couple of stages. I finished in about 45 minutes, nice beat em up and it wasn't too tough. I'd like to finish without any continues (had to use three) and will probably try again someday to win on 1 CC.

13. TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
I just got done playing TMNT IV. Why not revisit a childhood favorite? This time I set out to beat the game without the Konami code like I always did as a kid. Well, this game is easily much tougher than IV. Not so much the bosses, but the waves of Foot Soldiers and their increased aggression in the later stages. The ghost Samurai, Krang and Shredder are the exception to the easy bosses. I was hoping to win this without continues, but I still needed to use 3...kept getting caught by Shredder's insane devolution electric attack that fills half the screen and wipes out an entire stock. This game is still awesome and worth playing with a buddy.

13. TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
Had to follow up with this one! This game rewards different points depending on finishing attack, highest to lowest: basic ground attack > jump kick/throw > special attack. You get an extra stock every 50k points so that creates an incentive to use the basic attack (least safe attack) as much as possible, and rely less on spamming jump kicks (safest approach) or throws (OHKO foot soldiers) like in TMNT II. Controls are a little tighter than II which annoyed me at first, but I know I've felt the opposite after playing these in reverse order. They work well. The stages are freakin' long in this one, sometimes having mid-level bosses and second parts. No Konami code and I managed to Game Over/Continue only once. Highly recommend, it has some of the best music and graphics on the NES, more enemy/stage variety and amazing boss fights.

14. Retro City Rampage (3DS)
A few false starts but I finally stuck it out. Right off the bat, I have mixed feelings for this. I like the pixel art for the city and cutscenes, but I really dislike the tiny sprites. Some missions were fun, but some felt like the same fetch quest... occasionally fetch quests within fetch quests! Nice weapons but the stomp was annoying and the tiny sprites make it harder to land than was probably intended. Radio music was nondescript and barely audible most of the time. My biggest issue was the game's retro hipster aesthetic... too on the nose, excessive and off-putting. It comes off as pandering and I think it could have been a more effective parody without stuff like literally hunting down a 72-pin connector and playing it a little more faithful to the source material. I'm the type who prefers Predator and Bloodsport for an 80s fix and hates hyper-aware and referential modern takes like Kung Fury. I don't need the game to constantly bash me over the head with how it's soooo 80s and Nintendo-y. Anyway, I can say I was occasionally having fun while other times felt like I was just itching to get to the end. I put about 20 hours in and did quite a lot I think, a solid 81% completion rate, but don't feel compelled to do see the rest. Decent game but I hope Shakedown Hawaii is a major improvement. I may go back and finish my old save file of Chinatown Wars which tbh was a lot better than this.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

kXmhm6A.jpg

Xbox One

I'm honestly not sure what I thought of this. The whole world raves about this being the greatest resi game of the lot, but it honestly felt a bit bland to me. I'm not trying to be radical, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as say 1 or 5. Maybe it's because each one as their own identity (survival horror and action) but this just seems to get caught in the middle. I also found the gratuitous sexualisation of Ashley to be a bid disturbing. Up-skirt shots and jiggling boobs of what I can only guess to be a young teen is a difficult thing to explain to the wife.
6/10

Mega

Banned
It's too bad you didn't play the 3DS version, it has a roll button

Problem is that version of DKCR is 30fps. It looks and feels bad enough that I stopped playing the 3DS version after a couple of stages and picked up the Wii original. I haven't yet started it and experienced that shake to roll thing, but shake to jump really hampered my enjoyment of deBlob.

Main Post

07: Hyper Light Drifter [PS4] - 7? hrs - 02/16/2017 -★★★☆☆
Game was pretty good. Very little narrative and a bit lacking. Makes up for it with style and design though. Gameplay was tight. Really enjoyed the bosses and zipping around platforms. I liked how the money system worked, allowed for upgrades but so you couldn't just grind. Nothing felt too hard, but the game definitely felt easier as I started upgrading. Directional cues felt disjointed and often obtuse unfortunately.

Master Post

Shadowrun Returns
And now for something completely different.

Shadowrun Returns is a PC RPG in the traditional sense. The view is isometric and the game is very reliant on text instead of action. There is action of course. The action is in the vein of a turn based strategy game not unlike that found in XCOM or a Final Fantasy Tactics.

The text, however, is quite good. It's among the best writing I've ever come across in a video game and I mean that with all sincerity. It's not unlike writing which you might find in a well written cyberpunk novel. I understand there actually are Shadowrun novels out there so maybe some of the staff is the same. Regardless of who wrote it, I'm grateful the writing is just plain excellent.

The story goes like this: A friend of your's has been murdered and there's a bounty on the head of the killer. Your friend actually calls you from the grave (I think from a chip in his head) and asks you to avenge his death. You set out to collect that bounty. You spend a lot of time visiting relevant locations, asking people questions, trying to find out anything that you can about the killer. Story progression is handled very well, with each crime scene getting you a little bit more information without straight up revealing who did it.

The game is a joy to look at. While the console gamer in me at least partially wishes the graphics were fully 3D, I can totally get into the 2D isometric graphics style. Enjoyably, there is a lot of hand drawn art, which is obviously something that gets lost the more polygons you throw at a video game. The Shadowrun aesthetic is cyberpunk, meaning there's a lot of neon and futuristic computer terminals. This is one of the most consistent looking games I've played. You don't enter into a gorgeously drawn room only to enter one that looks terrible. It's all quite nice to look at.

The combat is something that grew on me. Part of the problem is that I didn't fully understand how the combat worked until later in the game. I chose a street samurai for the character I rolled, which is the type that enters a fight guns blazing. What I came to appreciate later in the game are the support characters, who can do things like control robots or give you an extra Action Point (a turn, basically) for a number of rounds. Balance is the key to a good crew in Shadowrun Returns.

The game doesn't overstay it's welcome (I played for 16 hours), but I found myself constantly wanting to play more. As someone who never played a PC RPG before (except Torchlight, which is really it's own thing), this makes me want to see more from the genre. I'm glad we're in the midst of a revival, and am curious to check Pillars of Eternity. Harebrained Schemes gets an A+ in my book for Shadowrun Returns though. Between the writing, the visuals, and the gameplay, this is a game for PC RPG fans and newcomers alike.
5/5

Tambini

cyYXYJ5.png

#26 Haze ★★.5 PS3 - Feb 17th - 5 hours
I'm trying to think of some memorable moments from Haze but my memory is a little.....foggy.
Has some parts that are genuinely fun, then long stretches devoid of any fun at all.

Alright I'm gonna play a good game now

Original post

Final+Fantasy_+7.png

Remastered (PS4) 37 hours - completed with every summon, limit break an every boss beaten.

There really isn't much I can say about VII that hasn't been covered ad nauseum online, it has never been my favourite (IX is de facto the greatest game of the series - and of all time, there isn't a human in existence who will ever change my mind on this) however, playing back through this after a good 6/7 year absense has reminded me of how quirky and vibrant Square once made this series.

The port is a pretty good adaptation, however, simple alterations such as the way the overworld theme overlays between battles, and the unwarranted ajustments to the games uttermost important scene left my nostaliga senses hurting. I can't call any of it legitmitate criticism, however it did ire me more than if I'd played the original version.

Conversely, finding out about the increased speed and grinding options available to players from the get-go is something the pre-teen version of me would kill for.

All in all... It's FFVII. Do I have to say more?

Overall: 9 out of 10

Aquova

Game 12: Super Castlevania IV

System: Super Nintendo
Year: 1991
Developer: Konami

Overview
This game is pretty dang cool. Simon Belmont is back to fight the evil of Count Dracula; this time in 8 directions: up, down, and squiggly. Like other classic Castlevania games, you and your trusty whip enter Castlevania and defeat hoards of evil. New to this game is the ability to swing your whip in multiple directions, and the ability to swing on special rings located at specific points in levels.

Gameplay
This game is a classic platformer, where the player moves from level to level jumping over hazards and using the whip and items to defeat enemies. At the end of each level is a boss, many of them are classic horror villains, such as a mummy, a ghost couple, the Grim Reaper, and Dracula himself.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • The gameplay is superb. Simon has more movement in attacking and jumping than he has had before, and the increased mobility makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
  • Excellent graphics. The atmosphere and look of the game is excellent. It gives off a very gothic and grimy feel, and helps the player sympathize with Simon better.

Cons:
  • The items feel useless. This is a small complaint, but the increased ability of the whip makes the other items feel redundant. I always enjoyed using the whip much more anyway, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, just strange they didn't adapt the items to be better used in this game.
  • The music is okay. Confession, I am a huge Sega fan, so to hear the music in this game, and compare it against the Genesis Castlevania game, Bloodlines, I don't think the music holds up as well. Particularly the 3 recurring themes of the series, Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, and Simon's Theme, all sound better with increased bass, rather that the thin sounds here. The music is composed well, and the sound effects are nice, but some tracks don't have the umph that I come to expect.

Rating

Very good

An excellent game, and one of the best on SNES. Everything you would expect from a Castlevania game is here and in top form.

---

Rhaknar

header.jpg

Game #27 - Zombo Buster Rising
Time: 2 hours

Neat little PvZ style lane defense game, there's not much to it but its fun for its short duration. Cute graphics, action-y gameplay since you are doing a lot of the aiming yourself, just a cool little time waster, well worth playing if you like the genre.

header.jpg

Game #28 - Thirty Flights of Loving
Time: 12 minutes

Super short story that unfortunately did nothing for me. The narrative, what there is of it, is incoherent rabble jumping you from scene to scene like its trying to be a Tarantino movie or something, there a little interaction but none that matters (its basically a walking simulator, and I dont even dislike those, I loved Stanley Parabale, Gone Home and others), its not a looker by any means but it does have a style I guess, even if I didnt like the style, and the whole thing is over in 10 minutes. Complete dud.

Main Post

Original post

IHHgTGQl.png

7. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android, 2017) - 20:50
All available story chapters (to Chapter 9) completed on Normal and Hard.

The unique proposition that Fire Emblem Heroes brings to the gacha table is twofold. First, there are all the Fire Emblem characters, but in a way that's no more unique than Brave Exvius having Final Fantasy characters; it's just a matter of preference. But more importantly, Heroes brings Fire Emblem gameplay to the mix, which makes it an interesting game outside of the slot-machine mechanics.

The problem with most gacha games I've tried is that RNG-related meta considerations, not the actual gameplay mechanics, dominate your attention: do you have enough UR/5* units, and what type are they, and how do they rank in the PvP mode, and should I roll this banner because it has a slightly higher percentage to drop a character I like, etc. The only game I know of that sidesteps this is LoveLive, but playing a touch-based rhythm game that requires two hands while on transit is not the easiest. But because Fire Emblem Heroes brings its considerable SRPG pedigree to the table, the miniature battles you fight have more tactical considerations than usual. It's actually fun to play outside of the gacha aspect.

Maybe the oddest thing about Fire Emblem Heroes so far is how little it feels like a Nintendo game. The gacha framework almost completely subsumes the Nintendo feel to the point where sometimes Heroes just seems like a Chain Chronicle copycat. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it means Intelligent Systems have nailed the basic formula of the genre. But it also means the game faces the same challenges: can it keep players entertained over the coming weeks and months? What new twists can IS bring to the gameplay for unique events? How will IS manage the economy, and how heavily will it be biased towards whales? These are areas where the Fire Emblem motif will only help so much. There have been some stumbles out of the gate but recent tweaks to the game at least show IS is listening.

This is the first gacha game I've joined at launch, so it'll be interesting to see how the game evolves. I find it a little too grind-heavy right now, with a ridiculous jump in the very last story battle. Stamina is also hard to come by outside the bottles that drop like candy now but likely won't in the future. But there's a good core here.

Stoze

A bit behind on posting, here's the rest of January.

Game #8:
OneShot (PC) / 1.18.17 / 7.5 hours / 2 Playthroughs, all achievements
A late addition to my 2016 GoTY lists. OneShot is best gone into blind, but it's also hard to describe. Expect something like an adventure game reminiscent of old point and clicks with a mix of JRPG town elements, and some really awesome surprises and twists. The only disappointment I had was thinking there'd be a lot of new stuff going on in a second playthrough/NG+ when there really isn't (for now...), and I felt like the game misled me there. Luckily it only took a couple hours for a replay, but it was admittedly really boring.

I'd say more but I don't feel like writing much about this since I've already talked it up a bunch in my regular GoTY list and indie game GoTY list, so don't count that against it. The game is very clever with some of the things it does, it's very charming and intriguing, and overall it's a special game that I really enjoyed.

Game #9:
Blade of Agony: Chapter 1 (PC , GZDoom) / 1.20.17 / 4.5 hours / Most secrets + extra level
I promise I won't litter my list with Doom mods, but considering this is technically standalone and doesn't explicitly run on the original engine I think it's worth a spot on here.

Blade of Agony is really cool, it's essentially a new/old Wolfenstein game made on the GZDoom engine that takes design cues from WW2 shooters of the early 2000's rather than Doom or Quake. The game provided a very satisfying challenge playing on the ultra violence difficulty equivalent, as you have to really be sure to check every corner and play cautiously. Despite being fairly linear, the level design is usually well done and the level structure is mixed up drastically from level to level.

Unfortunately, I think the game gets too ambitious, as it fails when it tries to pull off a lengthy mounted machine gun sequence, an awful timed escape sequence in the secret level, and the last level becoming an aggressively unoriginal romp through ancient tombs with a focus on trap avoidance and platforming. The last few levels really took a nose dive in quality, but everything was very fun and extremely impressive. Hopefully, they follow it up with more of the former.

Game #10:
Styx: Master of Shadows (PC) / 1.27.17 / 24 hours / 1.5 playthroughs on Hard, no alerts
Styx is a very solid stealth game. It has great level design is filled with a variety of options on how to get through like Thief and Dishonored, as well as mostly fluid core mechanics and movement that paves the way for fun and fast traversal and dealing with enemies. Unfortunately it has a lot of significant stuff I took issue with, like its bland skill tree that isn't conducive to different play styles, controls that trip you up and prevent you from doing slightly more complex maneuvers that should be possible, a campaign that overstays its welcome and requires you to go back through the same levels, and very little incentive to fully engage with the entirety of each level.

I'll talk more about those last two complaints as they outweigh the rest. The levels/chapters are generally so massive and complex that they are enjoyable to go back through, especially thanks to new enemy placement. But because it's required later on and you do it so many times, not only did it prevent me from wanting to replay older levels naturally, the game really overstays its welcome. As far as exploration incentive, the game occasionally offers up side quests and a cool treasure hunt mechanic that provide good EXP, but they really only cover a little bit of each chapter. The rest of the incentive is relegated to these tokens scattered around that I initially thought were enjoyable to hunt for, until I realized that upon missing even a single one it becomes entirely pointless; you loose the already pitiful EXP bonus, and if you were to replay a chapter you'd have to collect all 30 or 40 of them again.

I still enjoyed the game overall, and I'm excited about the sequel simply for the fact I think some of this stuff could be fixed. It looking like a major upgrade in terms of mechanics and art direction is also nice.

Game #11:
SWAT 4 (PC) / 1.30.17 / 10 hours / 1.5 playthroughs, Normal & Hard
Picked this up soon after it was released on GoG. SWAT 4 is a unique and ambitious tactical FPS filled with great level design and atmosphere. Sometimes it's fully immersive and incredibly tense, other times none of its systems can quite come together properly and the result is either laughable or frustrating. I think the problem is despite its appearance, SWAT 4 is a simple game with AI and mechanics that can't keep up with its increasingly complex level design as you keep playing. Teammate AI that once was immersive now becomes herding disobedient sheep, and gameplay that appeared deep and full of options devolves into painstaking grenade throwing, awkward enemy and teammate AI manipulation, occasionally crossing your fingers, and little else. Ultimately the good outweighs the bad, and when things do click, it's extremely engaging and there can be some fantastic moments.

The expansion looks like it adds a couple much needed AI commands, and there's a voice recognition Mod for it that looks really fun, so I'll probably play that at some point and put it up here.

Game #12:
Power Hover (PC) / 1.30.17 / 2 hours / Everything powered
A gaffer-made hoverboarding game reminiscent of those old Sonic bonus levels. It looks nice, it's simple yet fairly challenging (if you're going for all the batteries), and there's about as much variety in the level design as you could ask for within such a short game. I did experience some annoying UI and audio bugs but they didn't hamper the experience too much. Wasn't a big fan of the challenge mode and how long you have to stay alive for getting 3 stars on the boss battles, but overall it's a fun way to kill a few hours and I'd recommend it.

Game #13:
Sine Mora (PC) / 1.31.17 / <2 hours / Normal
A well-received shump that hasn't aged well, at least not on PC where it's clearly a poor console port that includes being locked to a lower resolution and muddy visuals. I don't have too much to say about it, the time mechanic is great and I liked how it's factored into everything. The core gameplay is alright, it's extremely simple and mixed up only by some well-designed bosses. The bleak story presented between levels was kind of interesting, but awkward when paired with the flashy gameplay sections with poor dialogue. Overall a pretty forgettable ~2 hours, granted I've never really been a fan of the genre.

Main Post

7. Circuit Scramble : A logic puzzle game on Android where you have to complete the working path on increasingly difficult circuits with rules added as you progress. I managed to 3 star each level, which was completing them in the fewest possible moves. Only 125 levels and takes about 2 hours to complete. Not sure where else they could take it but it was a fun diversion when unable to get on the PS4.

Aquova

Game 13: Pikmin 3

System: Wii U
Year: 2013
Developer: Nintendo

Overview
Have you ever thought about how weird and creepy Pikmin are? Just imagine you are looking down at the plant and bug life and you see some ants fighting a spider. Your gut feeling is to root for the ants because the spider is much larger than them and is trying to devour them, so you're pleased when you see the ants finally take it down. The ants drag the carcass back to the anthill, which surprises you as you thought ants were herbivores, but whatever, that's nature. But shortly after the ants drag the body inside, twice as many ants rush out of the anthill, and track down and kill another spider. Shocked, you watch as the ants begin to rapidly multiply and kill all other animal life in the vicinity, letting nothing stop their hunger. Now imagine they aren't just ants, but they're also fire-proof, conduct electricity, can breath underwater, can't be crushed, and can fly. That's the plot of Pikmin 3.

Gameplay
In Pikmin 3, you control 3 astronauts who have landed on the planet in search of food to bring back home. They appear to be only several inches tall, so many environmental objects that are familiar to us, flowers, boxes, animals, are huge to them. As you search for food, you encounter small creatures called Pikmin, which follow the player around and can be used to fight enemies or bring things back to your ship. The main goal of the game is to manage your resources by bringing in more defeated enemies and food, while also trying to progress forward, always limited by how much food you have in reserve, or how many Pikmin you have left.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • The game is beautiful. Possibly the best looking game on the Wii U, Pikmin 3 does an excellent job modeling natural environments that the player are familiar with, but at a new vantage point. Flowers are now the size of trees, and small puddles are huge lakes.

Cons:
  • The Pikmin are really stupid. Most of my Pikmin deaths weren't from me losing them, or a miscalculation on my part, but the Pikmin rushing into attack when they shouldn't, or not being quick enough to dodge assaults. In a boss battle, the slowest Pikmin are immediately killed, leaving the quicker ones to actually be useful in the fight. That's survival of the fittest I guess.
  • Boss battles aren't great. Now, this is completely true. The final battle and the long legged enemy I rather enjoyed, but the other fights boil down to trying to dodge attacks awkwardly while trying to hit a moving target with a tricky pointer. The game's strongest aspects are strategizing your time and what Pikmin are best where, but the boss battles halt that, and force you in clumsy arena battles where the awkward controls fall apart. I also think that time should've been stopped during boss battles, as I never once managed to finish a fight in a day, and had to waste time going back to the fight before getting back into it. It really destroys the momentum of fights when you have to scramble to make sure all the Pikmin are in your party.

Rating

Good

A fun and beautiful game, Pikmin 3 is one of Nintendo's cleverer IPs, although halted somewhat by poor bosses and sometimes awkward controls.

---

jnWake

Game 13: Pikmin 3

Cons:
  • Boss battles aren't great. Now, this is completely true. The final battle and the long legged enemy I rather enjoyed, but the other fights boil down to trying to dodge attacks awkwardly while trying to hit a moving target with a tricky pointer. The game's strongest aspects are strategizing your time and what Pikmin are best where, but the boss battles halt that, and force you in clumsy arena battles where the awkward controls fall apart. I also think that time should've been stopped during boss battles, as I never once managed to finish a fight in a day, and had to waste time going back to the fight before getting back into it. It really destroys the momentum of fights when you have to scramble to make sure all the Pikmin are in your party.

Wow, I can't disagree more! Bosses in Pikmin 3 are IMO wonderful. Ignoring the first boss battle that is kinda dull I always thought the battles were a big highlight of the game. I like the scale and danger of the battles, since they aren't easy. I never felt the controls hurt them at all.

Quaggled Mireclops (the giant island thing) and Scornet Maestro are outstanding IMO.

Opinions are fun!

Original post

xFFTkMhl.jpg

8. Yakuza 0 (PS4, 2017) - 63:10
Completed the campaign on Normal. 47.86% completion, 82/100 substories completed.

Unlike a lot of people who've sung the praises of Yakuza 0 recently, I've played a few entries of the series already. 3 was a couple of years ago, but I played through Yakuza 4 last year and it's still somewhat fresh in my memory. So I can say with some certainty that Yakuza 0 is, by far, the best game I've played in the franchise to date, and that says a lot. 3 and 4 are no slouches themselves; every Yakuza game I've played has had an interesting story with plenty of plot twists, political intrigue, and compelling characters. But I managed to see only a fraction of the content each game contained, partially because it was very easy for me to decide to advance the story rather than scour the city for sidestories or play minigames I was only sort of interested in.

Yakuza 0, on the other hand, throws fun at you at nearly every turn, regardless of whether it's a random side story or a friendship you're trying to cultivate or just another round of bowling to try and win a turkey. It feels like far more of the minigames work well this time around. Sure, catfight betting feels like a slot machine, and damned if I'm ever going to play shogi or mahjong (though that's totally on me, not the game). The telephone club minigame becomes tedious rather quickly, and I can absolutely see how some people would be turned off by the gravure/softcore videos of porn starlets (and their associated sets of telelphone card collectibles). But man, so much of the game hits the spot. Managing real estate seems like the best Yakuza management activity until you get to cabaret clubs, which then immediately eclipse the real estate game (not to mention the hostess training minigame in Yakuza 4). Bowling is fun enough that you might play a 10-round game for no reason other than to kill some time. And pocket circuit racing. Oh god, pocket circuit racing. There's an entire game just in that, once you add in all the related side stories with their colourful cast of characters.

And then there are all the side stories, which are some of the more elaborate side quests in any game. All the Yakuza games I've played have had great side stories, but for whatever reason I felt compelled to seek them out this time. There's the sordid tale of the high school girl whose boyfriend thinks is cheating on him, but turns out to "just" be selling her underwear to strangers. Or the guy who just wants to cross a Sotenbori bridge in his varsity jacket, but keeps getting mobbed because everyone thinks he's a tough guy trying to front. Or the apprentice chef whose boss won't let her cook anything until one day he gets in an accident and she has to run the restaurant on her own. The quests run the gamut from bizarre and hilarious to surprisingly touching and heartwarming, and all offer much-needed respite from the intense crime family drama of the main story.

I won't say too much about the main story because it's full of twists and turns that would be completely unfair to spoil, but I will say that it's such a good story that it's hard to believe we've gone five games without anyone deciding to tell it. My only real complaint is that a lot happens in the last act of the game, and if you're like me and played the last couple of chapters in a single 10.5-hour run, it can be a little difficult to keep track of everyone's motivations. It's still my favourite Yakuza campaign to date, and I'm actually worried that Kiwami and 6 won't be able to top it.

If you're even remotely interested in the Yakuza franchise, play this game. It's an early candidate for game of the year as far as I'm concerned, and it's not only an ideal introduction to the series, but possibly its finest installment yet.

xealo

#Game 5, Rune Factory 4 ~90 hours.

splash.jpg

I love this game, it's the best game on the 3DS to me personally.

For being a harvest moon type life sim game with dozens of crops, huge amount of food to cook, and fields to tend to, events to see, villagers to chat to etc, there is an exceedingly deep action RPG with stats such as strength, intelligence, resistances, multiple weapon types, magic, damage over time effects etc tossed into the deal that does so much right.
It's balanced in such a way that equipment is the only thing that matters even if it has a character overall level. It has levels for everything in the game, even mundane things like talking to other characters, walking, eating, or even bathing.

Because of this, and the fact it all comes through crafting it gates you in such a way that needing new equipment to do the next piece of content never stops being a concern, and you are severely hindered in your ability to obtain these crafting materials before you are about to tackle the content that requires them. It's some of the best difficulty pacing I've seen in gaming.

The last act of the game also really doesn't pull any punches in the end game 7 floors long dungeon. Had to stop after nearly every floor to grind and replace my entire gear set on every single floor.
Got decked by normal mobs with equipment that was good enough to handle the boss room on the previous floor. It is brutal and I love it as an rpg nut. My stats had increased more than 4 times over compared to when I first entered by the floor 7 boss.

If there's one real gripe I've with this game, it's probably how the town event system has a ton of RNG in it. Overall deeply satisfying and engrossing rpg if you can stand just how Japanese the characters and the art direction is.

Main post

-------

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 4 hours
Oh, 00's, age of shitty PS2 ports on PC. Instead of porting X360 version, Disney released this abomination on PC and still selling it for 20$ almost 10 years later after release. Horrible controls, ugly as sin engine, repetitive gameplay and simply bad design overall. I forced myself to finish this one only because i needed more games to this list and it was painful, but short experience. Can't recommend this garbage even for die-hard movie fans.
I played that game back when It was new on PC, still have the physical release of it sitting in my games bookshelf.

I've a feeling it doesn't hold up nearly as well as it does in my memory of it, but that's probably for the best if I don't try to revisit it, and just remember having fun with it, at one point.

Axass

Original post.

Best game I've played this year yet, together with Elliot Quest.

Game 10: Batman: Arkham Asylum - Game of the Year Edition - 5/5 - 23:00 hours (14/02/2017)
header.jpg

Beaten the game and got back to get all collectibles, finished half the challenges. What a game! Even after all these years this game holds up so damn well. It's also still surprising how it suddenly reached such quality heights after decades of bad to average licensed games as easy cash ins coming from the industry. The intro works wonders to immerse you in the world, then, when you get out from Intensive Treatment and come out to the open area, you're stoked by how ambitious the game is... and it keeps one-upping itself, adding more and more places, enemies, riddles and items as you go on. The level design is on point, with metroidvania elements, the combat can be frustrating but it's a new approach and is cool to watch: when things go your way you really feel like the Batman, too bad for the camera messing things up at times. There's a little bit of everything sprinkled in there, stealth, fighting, action, puzzles, adventure, which makes the package feel complete and hard to put in a set category: just like the big games of yore, this one feels like it's inspired by past works but creates its own rules, the end result being something unique and never seen before. Boss fights are all very different and unpredictable, aside from the final one, which was far too easy and kind of a let down. The writing and voice over is nice, especially Hamill's stellar performance as the joker, the world feels alive and Arkham is context heavy: not one stone positioning is left unexplained: you can actually see the cells of most famous inmates and find what they've left behind in the asylum's halls. I can only wonder what it was like to play such a stunning game when it came out ten years ago.

This game is:

I thought I'd give this a try. I apparently beat 49 games last year, and I'm already a fifth of the way through this challenge, so I figured, why not?

1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (4 hours)
Man, people weren't kidding when they said this was one of LucasArts' best. It may actually be the best point-and-click adventure I've ever played. Great puzzles, great writing, great art, and great use of the idea of time travel.

2. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (7 hours)
This holds up surprisingly well. The movement feels fantastic, and as such, the platforming usually feels really good for a first-person game. The guns are fun to use, and the levels are fun to explore. I think the last level is a stinker, but this is a really good game.

3. Mortal Kombat X (7 hours)
This is only based on playing the story mode, but this is a damn solid fighter. The story is quite engaging, and I love what they did with the Krypt this time around.

4. Vampire Legends: The True Story of Kisilova (2 hours)
Artifex Mundi-developed and published hidden object games aren't usually something to write home about in the first place, but this is probably the worst of their games that I've played. Really bad voice acting, trial-and-error based puzzles, puzzles that don't make sense from a story perspective, and one character who constantly impedes your progress until you amuse him with some dumb little game of his.

5. Train Valley (6 hours)
Really fun mixture of railroad management and puzzle game. Reasonably complex, but it has adjustable speed and real time with pause in cause you need to figure anything out.

6. Dirt Showdown (9 hours)
A blast of an arcade racing game. Some of the event types bugged me, but it's a great game for just turning your brain and crashing into other cars.

7. Poi (8 hours)
3D platformer in the vein of Super Mario 64 that was solid enough that I found myself 100%-ing it. Not as good as its inspiration, but a very strong clone.

8. System Shock: Enhanced Edition (11 hours)
People say that the sequel aged better, but I don't know, I actually found it easier to get into this one, due to the relative lack of RPG mechanics. Great level design, great music, lots of tension, and adjustable difficulty levels for different aspects of the game, just absolutely a wonderful game.

9. Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden (3 hours)
Another Artifex Mundi hidden object game, and probably one of the better ones I've played. The setting is so clearly ripped from BioShock, but that sort of setting is still very novel. Puzzles are good, voice acting is solid, and the artwork is gorgeous.

10. SUPERHOT (2 hours)
Fairly disappointing, all things considered. The narrative was good, but the time mechanic did little to make this game feel that different from other shooters. It's shockingly short, too, and I feel that they could've done more with it. Still, it's fun for what it is.

11. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (1 hour)
Here's a cool little arcade beat-em-up with light RPG elements. Quite challenging, must've been a hell of a quarter-muncher back in the day, but I had a good time with it.

12. Quake (6 hours)
Perhaps not as good or as ground-breaking as its older sibling Doom, but the original Quake is very well made and very important in its own way. I wasn't terribly impressed by the game's early hours, but it grew on me.

13. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (1 1/2 hours)
I found myself enjoying this one a little more than Tower of Doom, but they're more or less identical gameplay-wise. This one has a more focused plot and better defined villains than the first, but it's more of the same, which is welcome in this case.

14. 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek (2 hours)
This game does most of the modern hidden object tropes rather well, and throws in another kind of puzzle that I haven't seen yet in these games but fits rather well with the genre. I enjoyed the game enough that I went back to get the last few achievements I missed during my first playthrough.

15. ABZU (2 1/2 hours)
The game really lets you take your time exploring its gorgeous environments, and for good reason. Another game I found myself 100%-ing.

16. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (13 hours)
Turok 2 follows the trend of sequels that strive to be bigger than their predecessors, and like most games that strive for that, it suffers for it. Levels are labyrinthine, sometimes ridiculously so, and that creates a lot of unnecessary confusion for the player. It doesn't help that this game is based around collectibles, and some of the necessary collectibles are hidden too well. One of the main objective collectibles for the first level, for instance, is absurdly easy to miss. However, it is a very fun game nonetheless, just not as good as the original Turok.

17. 9 Clues 2: The Ward (2 1/2 hours)
Another good hidden object game. Not much to say here.

18. Bayonetta (10 hours)
My second playthrough of this game, and it remains a blast. The PC port has some serious stability issues, though.

19. Event[0] (2 hours)
The game's main mechanic of conversing with an AI is interesting enough to justify a playthrough, but it clearly has its limitations.

20. Clustertruck (4 hours)
Considering how fast-paced a platformer it is, the first-person perspective harms the game in how it limits the player's understanding of a given level. In spite of that, the game does excel in terms of its controls and design. Well worth playing.

21. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (15 hours)
A really fascinating mystery visual novel that loves to mess around with pseudoscience. The writing and puzzles are really good, plus Kurt Vonnegut references! The main character's English VA sounds really odd, though.

22. CrossCells (2 hours)
Another great puzzle game from Matthew Brown, but this one could've done better to explain its rules.

23. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (24 hours)
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is a great game, and Virtue's Last Reward is a great sequel with many of the same strengths and weaknesses as its predecessor.

24. Dark Arcana: The Carnival (2 hours)
Another hidden object game, and I like this one's aesthetic. Translation is questionable in places, however.

25. Plug & Play (13 minutes)
Yeah, it's absurdly short, but I got it as a Steam key from a Humble Bundle, so I'm counting it. It's not for the average player, but it is an interesting example of weird, Freudian art.

26. Epistory - Typing Chronicles (5 hours)
The Typing of the Dead-style use of typing combined with an action-adventure framework makes for an enjoyable experience, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the combat.

27. Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek (5 hours)
It only took me that long because the game deleted my save file somehow when I was close to the end. That's hardly the only issue I experienced with the game, but it's a fun one nonetheless.

28. Disney Infinity - Pirates of the Caribbean Playset (5 hours)
Including the Disney Infinity games on this list is tricky, because each game consists of several campaigns set in their own distinct worlds, with distinct approaches to the basic Disney Infinity gameplay. I'm gonna count each playset as a game seeing as though someone did so in a previous thread, and I've started with the Pirates playset from the first game. The gameplay and controls are passable, and it's quite buggy, but exploring the sea and the various locales make for an engaging experience.

29. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (17 hours)
A fitting send-off to the Zero Escape series, and the plot's vague chronology just makes things more interesting. Some of the new characters are hard to put up with, though.

30. DuckTales (1 hour)
Classic Capcom platformer, not much more that needs to be said.

31. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (~45 minutes)
A simple but enjoyable platformer. Seems like it'd be more fun in co-op.

32. Darkwing Duck (1 hour)
Didn't like this one. Too many enemies with projectiles, and the hanging mechanic was a pain to deal with. One later game boss fight was a major in the ass because of both of those.

33. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (1 hour)
This one has a more in-depth story than the first game, and the bosses are more interesting. Other than that, it's pretty much the same thing.

34. DuckTales 2 (2 hours)
Probably the most complex game in The Disney Afternoon Collection, though that's not saying much. Regardless, the levels are fun, which is good, since the game encourages replaying levels.

35. Picross Touch (17 hours)
Solid, but legally questionable (with puzzles based on imagery owned by the likes of Nintendo, Sega, DC Comics, Fox Television, etc.).

36. TaleSpin (~45 minutes)
I hate it and it sucks.

37. Disney Infinity - The Incredibles Playset (5 hours)
Fun little beat-em-up/platformer/collectathon thing, and it ends right as it's starting to outstay its welcome.

38. Disney Infinity - Monsters University Playset (3 hours)
Probably the most refreshing playset I've played so far, in terms of gameplay. The stealth and pranking stuff gives the game a very different flow from the Pirates and Incredibles playsets, and from a lot of other games period. There aren't many games that approach college life the way this playset does.

39. Disney Infinity - The Lone Ranger Playset (2 hours)
The horseback riding is fun, but the combat sucks and most of the side content is "shoot this target at this outpost and wait until the train passes it and then passes another point." Plus we have a white guy playing a white guy playing a Native American stereotype with no self-awareness, but that sorta comes with the territory, so eh...

40. Disney Infinity - Cars Playset (2 hours)
It's the most unique playset in the series, so on paper, this should be great. The actual driving mechanics aren't great, though, especially the input for boosting, and the side content is rather mediocre. Races involving weapons in particular are frustrating.

41. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood (3 hours)
Not much to say, just another solid hidden object game.

42. Disney Infinity - Toy Story in Space Playset (5 hours)
This one is a lot like The Lone Ranger playset in that it's mostly about managing a town, but this one has a lot more charm to it, courtesy of the Toy Story theme. There's also some fun shenanigans in regards to size-changing goo, as well as some other fun gadgets to play with. Not a bad way to cap off the first Disney Infinity.

43. Disney Infinity 2.0 - The Avengers Playset (4 hours)
First thing you notice about Disney Infinity 2.0 is that the combat has been improved, no doubt thanks to Ninja Theory's involvement. Characters also have skill trees, although that does mean that their movesets are limited when you first use them. In this particular playset, that can be a pain when using level 0 or 1 characters in defense missions. The characters themselves are quite nice and varied in this playset, though, and unlocking Nova and Rocket from the game's other two playsets enhances that variety.

44. Disney Infinity 2.0 - Spider-Man Playset (4 hours)
This is pretty much a better version of the Avengers playset. Web-swinging is a much more fun way of getting around town than driving or flying, and the characters are generally more fun to play as, especially Iron Fist.

45. Disney Infinity 2.0 - Guardians of the Galaxy Playset (3 hours)
This one seems to play more like a platformer than the other two. The game world seems smaller, too, small enough that I almost never used the vehicles, but means less time travelling. Some of the more collect-a-thony missions bugged me, though.

46. Disney Infinity 3.0 - Twilight of the Republic Playset (4 hours)
For a four hour campaign, Twilight of the Republic feels large. I guess that's what four hubs and a John Williams soundtrack does for a game. Oh, and giving enemies visible healthbars helps a lot.

47. Disney Infinity 3.0 - Rise Against the Empire Playset (3 hours)
Like Twilight of the Republic, this playset manages to capture a sense of scale despite its short length. Less of a combat focus in this one, though, and honestly, I'm finding the combat to be Disney Infinity 3's greatest strength. This one is more about piloting ships, which is feels somewhat off.

48. Disney Infinity 3.0 - Inside Out Playset (5 hours)
Compared to the rest of Disney Infinity, this one is a relatively straight-forward 2D and 3D platformer, even having a level select menu instead of a hub. It exposes that Disney Infinity's engine and controls weren't really made with heavy platforming in mind, but the level design itself is quite good and varied.

49. Disney Infinity 3.0 - The Force Awakens Playset (4 hours)
This rounds out the Star Wars playsets, and Disney Infinity as a whole, quite well. What really surprised me about this one, however, was that it made me a little nostalgic for a movie that came out less than two years ago. It's surprising how natural The Force Awakens feels as part of the Star Wars universe already.

50. Splatoon 2 (5+ hours)
Gasp! A non-Steam game? Anyway, Splatoon 2's campaign is roughly as fun as the first. Its biggest problem is Sheldon forcing you to use specific weapons every time you play a stage for the first time. Some of these weapons can be a real pain to use in some of these stages, though.

51. Super Bomberman R (1+ hours)
My first time really playing a Bomberman game. The main stages were fun, boss fights not so much.

52. Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones (4 hours)
Not much to say except Artifex Mundi makes some fine hidden object games.

53. Disney Infinity 3.0 - Marvel Battlegrounds Playset (1 hour)
I've started collecting the figures, and I may as well play the last two playsets on Xbox One if they're not on Steam. Anyway, short and fun fighting game, if somewhat shallow-feeling.

54. Disney Infinity 3.0 - Finding Dory Playset (4 hours)
This is the actual end of Disney Infinity's content, and it's not a great playset to end on. It's not bad, just mediocre. It's a very basic adventure with an emphasis on collectables, but it's not especially engaging in any way.

55. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (10+ hours)
It was a series highlight on Wii U, and it remains so on Switch.

56. Lit (45 minutes)
It's a cute and fun puzzle game, but it's too short for what it is.

57. Prey (2006) (5 hours)
A very fun shooter that makes good use of its gravity mechanics.

58. Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (9 hours)
It's fun, but you'd think that after nine years of these Lego games (ignoring the three years since this game's release), Traveller's Tales would have refined the controls more than they have.

59. Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala (3 hours)
This is Artifex Mundi at their best. Great puzzles, great artwork, even a decent amount of suspense.

60. Thrillville: Off the Rails (4 hours)
As a theme park management sim, this is a very barebones game. However, it does have its charms as an adventure game and as a minigame collection.

61. Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 (5 hours)
A charming little RPG/visual novel from one of NeoGAF's own developers. Some fights can be opaque in what you're supposed to say, though.

62. Dirt 3 (17 hours)
Really fun arcade racer that suffers from some painful Gymkhana events.

63. Bone: Out From Boneville (2 hours)
Telltale's first two adventure games, their Bone games, are an oddity among their catalog for being straight adaptations of their source material and for being part of an intended series that was never finished. Out From Boneville has its charms, including a decent variety of puzzles, but it suffers from low production values. Normally, I'd count seasons of games as a single entry, but Bone's episodes being original released standalone and the season being unfinished a decade later is having me enter both games onto my list separately.

64. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (36 hours)
Possibly the best game in the series, owing to the best cast, the best minigames, and a hell of a plot. One early game twist is bound to piss players off, though, and it soured the experience in my case.

65. SteamWorld Dig (4 hours)
Combining Metroidvanias and Minecaft-style mining games makes for an experience that's surprisingly hard to put down.

66. Refunct (30 minutes)
A relaxing half-hour platformer.

67. Scanner Sombre (1 hour)
This is a haunting, beautiful game that suffers mainly from an inconsistent tone and an unearned twist ending.

68. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (5 hours)
A very dark and psychological adventure game, and thanks to its moodiness and writing, it holds up quite well today.

Main post

-------

6. SUPERHOT - 3 hours
SUPERHOT is short (2-3 hours to complete story), but stylish and interesting game. I do feel that 25 levels is not enough, but game is packed with challenges and secrets that should increase my final playtime. Can't recommend it for fullprice, but definitely worth getting during sale.

Falchion

Original Post

9) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - 8 hours - 2/19

This game was even better than I remembered it being on 360 which is impressive considering it's one of my favorite campaigns of all time. Raven has done an amazing job remastering this game and it looks and plays excellent. Sometimes I'm disappointed when I revisit old games because they either haven't aged well or it doesn't hold up to modern gameplay, but CoD4 once again surpassed all expectations.

DrArchon

OP

GAME #10 - Victor Vran - 8 Hours - 6/10 - 2/19/17

Got this in a Humble Bundle for a buck and decided to play though this for kicks. It's not a half-bad ARPG. It works really well on controller, there's decent variety in the enemies and weapons, combat feels good for the most part, etc. I will say that I prefer ARPGs that lean a little heavier on the RPG side of things. This game has no skill tree and very few armor drops for loot, for example. All of the level ups give you things like "more health" and "more points for your 'Destiny Cards'", and the only choice you get per level up is what free bit of loot you get.

Probably the biggest turn-off for me was the writing. There's a TON of shitty writing in the game. The narrator is constantly throwing out these cringe-worthy quips that are just painful to listen to. The story is by-books and fairly dull, but that's not why anyone is playing a game like this.

Sendou

First 5

mp34lx9s.png

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption January 20th

Finally finished the trilogy! I understand why fans have been so desperate for a new game now. Overall I'd say it was my least favorite in the trilogy but it was still such a good game. Both soundtrack and presentation were excellent as is expected from Metroid Prime titles. Didn't enjoy the forced Wiimote gimmicks but I guess it's part of the Wii era's legacy. Really hope Nintendo makes a modern game in this style. Next in the Metroid series I'll be exploring the 2D Metroid titles!

2_acr8laq2.png

Assassin's Creed: Revelations January 21th

To give some context I was a huge fan of AC2 and Brotherhood. Think I 100%'d both of those games. Yet I never played the 4th game in the series till now. I think in a way I was feeling fatigued from too many AC games releasing over short period of time. Yet late last year I felt the urge to play another AC game so decided to go with the next one in order since I already owned it and all. Overall I'd say it's a solid 6/10. Worth playing but honestly it's already so dated in design. Stealth is bad, combat is bad and overall so many of the design choices are bad. Although I have to say soundtrack is once again excellent!

3_trevxyx.png

Rise of the Tomb Raider January 28th

I liked the first game in the rebooted Tomb Raider series so naturally I was excited to give this one a go. Luckily it seems like they managed to improve on almost everything from the first game! I was especially fond of the Siberian winter location. Really strikes a chord with someone living the northern parts of the Earth. I really liked exploring tombs and solving the puzzles there. I actually liked it so much I would have preferred they didn't ramp up the amount of gunplay as much as they did towards the end. Guess it's an AAA sort of thing? It's just that combat is not the game's strongest part. Also would have hoped that the hint system was optional while still retaining the ability to highlight environment objects. DLC from what I saw was largely a cash grab. Drop in quality from the main game.

4_feh8goop.png

Fire Emblem Heroes February 7th

This game wasn't on my radar at all. Yet it was easy to give it a go thanks to the F2P model. I have to say I was surprised. Of course I knew Nintendo isn't going to put out a bad game using their IP but for some reason I didn't expect much from this title. It's in fact pretty fun distraction and nice treat for a fan of the series. Of course story is nonsense and gameplay is much more simplistic than other games in the series but I think it's a good fit for the platform.

5_sdv9ub8f.png

Stardew Valley February 19th

One of my favorite games from last year. Never played Harvest Moon games so can't really compare it to them but I was straight up hooked to this game. It has unique charm and clearly the world has been lovingly crafted. It feels like there is just the right amount things to do. Definitely will return to this (maybe on Switch?) and try to make a prettier farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom