• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I always get shy and nervous to post anything about my games, they certainly aren't the most immediately appealing titles. Made in RPG Maker, the graphics look like children's doodles. But the small little experimental games I made in the past had done well on various platforms, including Steam, and I guess the sort of way I design odd games struck with some niche, so I've decided to try to be more open and post more about them.

I just released Red Haze, an atmospheric horror game made in RPG Maker (I know...) but with original art, music, voice acting, etc., which features multiple branching paths and a changing world as you do more and more in the game. Simply put, it's a game about drugs, squatters, and nightmares. I implemented a sort of unusual game design focus where a single playthrough goes by pretty quickly, but you only experience about 5-10% of the game in a single run. And as you do things in previous runs, things change in the game in future runs. IE, if you let a monster out of a cage in one run, it'll be roaming in future runs as an obvious example, but I tried to implement this in clever little ways. The game is also loaded with all sorts of secrets and hidden scenes.

Steam page here:

Red Haze on Steam

I'm honestly a bit nervous to post this here, but I hope some people do enjoy it. All my previous games have been freeware, and this is my first little commercial project. I envy those who can have a lot of natural confidence in their own projects, but I think the only way to gain confidence is putting oneself out there.

As I am working on other projects, and I know people don't mind projects made in easier engines and the like, I'll try to post more. But I always get shy when I think about it.

Some screens, though just my doodily sprite style:
ss_d5d04ee4a2e0f54d182aebee256fa792a64eed41.1920x1080.jpg
ss_62d06f526dc9f09b85fa504e14968cfcad906ae6.1920x1080.jpg
ss_b48d96236bf663cdf9c5c3c1fff7de6791bbc16d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_781ee6411c8ce7b4c8dac05fd2400d6968dabd3c.1920x1080.jpg

MimiMe

I'm honestly a bit nervous to post this here, but I hope some people do enjoy it. All my previous games have been freeware, and this is my first little commercial project. I envy those who can have a lot of natural confidence in their own projects, but I think the only way to gain confidence is putting oneself out there.

As I am working on other projects, and I know people don't mind projects made in easier engines and the like, I'll try to post more. But I always get shy when I think about it.

Hey,
congratulations on your release! ... and don't sell yourself short.

You are someone who has finished a project (again!), so you shouldn't be shy. Imho someone who is wrapping things up and releasing them to the public has way more "skills" than an individual who is a great artist but never finishes anything.
So far no master has fallen from the sky and your overall quality will rise with the projects you finish. That's at least how I see it. With time you are going to gain confidence in your work

You did what you are capable of in a reasonable time frame. It takes a lot of courage to finish a game and release it instead of saying "I'll add this" or "I'll just remake these graphics" and never finish it - in the end that's just because you are afraid.

For the time coming now: try to embrace critisism. See it as something helping you to elevate your next project.

Did you start with PR? What was your dev time?

ps: not that I am an experienced dev or anything. Just my take on things.

Pehesse

I always get shy and nervous to post anything about my games, they certainly aren't the most immediately appealing titles. Made in RPG Maker, the graphics look like children's doodles. But the small little experimental games I made in the past had done well on various platforms, including Steam, and I guess the sort of way I design odd games struck with some niche, so I've decided to try to be more open and post more about them.

I just released Red Haze, an atmospheric horror game made in RPG Maker (I know...) but with original art, music, voice acting, etc., which features multiple branching paths and a changing world as you do more and more in the game. Simply put, it's a game about drugs, squatters, and nightmares. I implemented a sort of unusual game design focus where a single playthrough goes by pretty quickly, but you only experience about 5-10% of the game in a single run. And as you do things in previous runs, things change in the game in future runs. IE, if you let a monster out of a cage in one run, it'll be roaming in future runs as an obvious example, but I tried to implement this in clever little ways. The game is also loaded with all sorts of secrets and hidden scenes.

Steam page here:

Red Haze on Steam

Hey,
congratulations on your release! ... and don't sell yourself short.

You are someone who has finished a project (again!), so you shouldn't be shy. Imho someone who is wrapping things up and releasing them to the public has way more "skills" than an individual who is a great artist but never finishes anything.
So far no master has fallen from the sky and your overall quality will rise with the projects you finish. That's at least how I see it. With time you are going to gain confidence in your work

You did what you are capable of in a reasonable time frame. It takes a lot of courage to finish a game and release it instead of saying "I'll add this" or "I'll just remake these graphics" and never finish it - in the end that's just because you are afraid.

For the time coming now: try to embrace critisism. See it as something helping you to elevate your next project.

Did you start with PR? What was your dev time?

ps: not that I am an experienced dev or anything. Just my take on things.

Entirely agreed with MimiMe. I haven't played your games yet, but I have massive respect for RPGMaker as an engine and not a single doubt it can make excellent games, and your screenshots look like your work has distinct personality, arguably the number one criticism levied at RPGMaker made games (at least, judging from screenshots only).

So yeah! Congrats, and looking forward to your posts about your next work in the thread :)

DemonNite

Steam page here:

Red Haze on Steam

Congrats on the release!

Posting more should ease your nervousness. Start doing a progress check-in when you begin your next project here :)

JP_

Banned
9MSGSfk.gif

Did I post this gif? Added trails when you're moving over a certain speed.

C4pKEHzUkAA1MPd.jpg

More recently, been working on the mech's leg animations -- mostly for first person, in order to give better feedback on turns, when you lose traction etc, and also to just give a better sense of you piloting the mech instead of it feeling like an invisible capsule moving around the map.

3PVBUG8.gif

Still needs work, but I'm also working on dirt kicked up by your mech's feet. Will be adding jump/landing effects after these trail effects are done.

So.....

I'm working on an FPS Smash Bros kinda...

I've been working on it for about a year, but mostly just getting familiar with UE4. Might turn it into a product.

Oh I'm intrigued!

Plus my game is somewhat a cross between an FPS and a fighter so I'd love to learn how you're handling the game mechanics.

missile

Improved the speculars a lil further in now having implementing a more
sophisticated geometric attenuation term (G) due to Sancer for rough surfaces
leading to a better and esp. smooth self-shadowing of the specular lobe. This
model removes all the discontinuties seen in the Torrence/Sparrow (faster)
model and the unsymmetry around the mirror direction, but is computationally
more demanding, it involves two erfc functions but can be pre-computed indexed
by incident angle. Anyhow, the cool thing of this model, apart from said
features above, is that it incorporates the surface roughness parameter, i.e.
the avg. slope of the surface. The effect is that if the surface roughness
increases, the shading of the surface will start at a smaller incident angle
(as it should).

Anyhow, that's how it looks so far. Two different roughness settings;

ECzDGD6.gif

KQozWmQ.gif

missile

I further did a small improvement in removing a common discontinuity from the
shading model. Well, the first derivative of max(0,LdotN) is discontinuous at
Pi/2. That means that the transition from the part being shaded via LdotN into
the ambient part produces a band like seen here;

CstEzHU.png

My new solution smoothes this discontinuity out;

kGwERMi.png

In reality you wouldn't see such a band. It's smoothed out because light
sources do have a size > 0 (contrary to point-light sources) and also because
of the diffraction effect (both not modeled here). Hence, removing this
discontinuity sort of simulates those effects for zero size point-light
sources when shading. This is cool for illuminated rotating objects, for
the transition into the ambient term at gazing to the light source is much
smoother, likewise when the surface comes into the light. Without it the
light would pop-in at gazing.

ZServ

I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't be ashamed to post here, man. Because of YOUR game jam, I've been working on my project SINCE then. It's come SO much further than I ever thought it would be, and I'm still using the track that I messaged you about two years ago. If you can inspire me through a forum post, imagine what your game can do to the people it reaches.

Pehesse

Playing around with some vertical LD ideas, mostly for acrobat for now. There's plenty still to do (what happens when the player falls down, for instance) and experiment with, notably for the warrior, but this was something I wanted to try for a while!

https://youtu.be/avitqi7PMZ8

Been reworking most of the level flow and challenges in Rex: Another Island while waiting for the last few tracks of music. Work on my shmup has taken lower priority while I polish up Rex (and try to resist feature-creep temptation). A lot of areas look much more like the NES aesthetic I was aiming for now.

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/74c95b162fde72ea1d316bc85bbd53ec/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado3_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/73e4694319f6507858b7a91e2dfba61e/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado4_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/c36d03995782fe6fa1b24f9a3e9b8446/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado6_1280.jpg[/IMG]

It's funny how many 'todos' pop up right near the end of dev, little things that need doing that felt so insignificant at the start when considered one at a time, but pretty daunting when piled up.

Tetraeon

Just released my first person puzzle adventure game The Artist on Steam today!

oFrF3lO.png

You can grab it here for $4.99 with an additional 10% launch week discount, if any gaffers feel like picking it up I would love to hear your thoughts!

Minamu

What kind of topics do you guys think would be suitable for Skyrim "DLC"? I've been having this suicide club pact thing stuck in my head and I think it could be an interesting twist for the game (like, instead of the Brotherhood being generally murderous, you have regular peasants who worship one of the major gods, and actually want the player to kill them, or something along those lines). I think that if you're gonna do new missions and quests for a game, you need to turn some conventions on their heads, so you don't end up making yet another "go collect a super massive WMD sword +1000".

LordRaptor

What kind of topics do you guys think would be suitable for Skyrim "DLC"?

When I was messing around with the Oblivion mod tools, I had a loose idea about a quest chain revolving around a secret society of immortals that you could join as for fourth wall breaking reasons the player character is an immortal, but the secret society isn't so much illuminati running the world, but more a social club to reminisce about shit.

There'd have been a vampire, some dude under a daedric curse, some dude who'd written himself into the the elder scrolls, probably some magician who'd been experimenting with magic... I'm not a big enough lore nerd for TES as a series to really do the concept justice though.

hampig

Steam page here:

Red Haze on Steam

That game popped up on my front page, had no idea it was you, good job!

As somebody making games in RPG Maker myself, your output is inspiring. You obviously have no problem putting in the work to get stuff out there, and that's the biggest challenge in my opinion. You know horror probably better than most, and as somebody who loves horror in all its forms I'm happy somebody like you is dedicating themselves to putting out content.

That being said, if you want an honest opinion, I think you should either go for a more minimal look or look into getting an artist to do some work for you. Your environments look good enough for what you're going for, but the main character's sprite put me off the game immediately. I know how hard it is to make and animate good looking sprites. Even after going to a pro, I'm still not satisfied with what I have. But, the player sprite is the connection from your world to the player, and I think it's really important.

Really, you have way more experience with all of this stuff than I do, so don't let me shake you if you're happy with what you're doing and it's working. Regardless, I hope to see a lot more from you in the future, and please please please share more about what you're working on and don't be so self-conscious. It's easy to feel alone and sort of inferior as somebody working on an RPG Maker game outside of RPG Maker specific communities, so I always love to see stuff like yours.

Minamu

When I was messing around with the Oblivion mod tools, I had a loose idea about a quest chain revolving around a secret society of immortals that you could join as for fourth wall breaking reasons the player character is an immortal, but the secret society isn't so much illuminati running the world, but more a social club to reminisce about shit.

There'd have been a vampire, some dude under a daedric curse, some dude who'd written himself into the the elder scrolls, probably some magician who'd been experimenting with magic... I'm not a big enough lore nerd for TES as a series to really do the concept justice though.
Hey that sounds pretty dope :) I'm just throwing stuff at the wall here but it could be cool to have those characters be friendly and the quests revolve around curing them of their immortality for various reasons.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use multiple UV sets in Unity? I know that UV set 2 is used for lightmaps, but I was wondering if it's possible to another for something else. We're looking into changing the shader / style of our game and it would save me a lot of time, and processing power probably, if I could use multiple UV sets instead of multiple materials. For example, it would be great if I could have a set for the Albedo and another for Specular, without having to use another texture.

Also, for the little I did this week was adding an inn to our game's main city hub. It's been fun making shops and points of interest, and I'm looking forward to adding more.

Ranger X

Calling GameMaker Studio users....

Have you ever encountered this error?
Whenever I make a change in my project now, I can't compile an exe or create an application with installer. It only works after a fresh boot (which is god damn annoying). Nobody seems to answer on the GameMaker forums so I am wondering. This is really the kind of error I hate...

IExpress_Error_zpskpfajhty.jpg

When you press Ok....

CreateFinished_zpsblsjbxat.jpg

And if I create an application....

ErrorInstaller_zpse6osx02i.jpg

missile

As a base for a biger scope like a game or pure interest in tech? ...
Both. I'm interest in a couple of physical-based stuff on its own, but it's the
game that makes me want to try something new using it. Basically, I want to use
advanced physical models on low-poly objects to produce very specific/stylized
renderings/looks for a game of mine by reinterpreting the physical parameters
of the given model/equations to produce certain lighting resp. reflection
effects not seen that way in reality but somehow behave as if they were real.
So it's not my intention to make stuff look real, despite it looks like it.
But by trying to make it look real you start to expose all the meaningful
parameters out of the model necessary to make it look real in the end. And
these are the parameters I want to use in an artistic fashion to produce the
ästhetic for a game of mine.

For the game I have in mind, I need a very stylized/edgy look which should
underline the techy/advanced theme of the game's world and also the state of
mind it carries you into. That means, the look (lighting, reflection etc.)
will be different but their behavior will still comply to some physical rules.
This ästhetic can't be produced with the simple models, and also not from a
pure artistic consideration. It's a mix of both worlds so to speak.

Secondly, I want to try something different, new, unique whatever to set
myself apart form what I see on a daily basis on low-poly flat-shaded games.
I think there is some room here to breath for me in stylizing these low-polys
with some advanced techniques. That's my idea at least. Don't know if it will
work that way, but I have a clear picture of it in my head.

missile

Here is another cool effect I did.

Even some diffuse materials do produce some reflection at gazing, did you know?
Why? Well, at gazing not all of the light enters the surface getting scattered
for those materials. Some of the light will be reflected and will as such
brighten up the rim. This effect is dictated by the Fresnel reflection law
relating the incident energy to the reflected and transmitted energy depending
on the material's index of refraction.

I tried to recreate this effect;

lS7oaba.png

without

I2eXKm1.png

with

The sphere's material can be envisioned as follows. It has a dielectric
(transparent) coating of a certain index of refraction and roughness producing
the highlight in the color of the light source. Beneath that coating is the
diffuse material. Most of the light coming through the dielectricum will
refract into this diffuse material getting scattered producing the given
color. However, at gazing some of the light will be reflected off from the
diffuse material with the color a mixture of the diffuse as well as the color
of the light source.

For my current implementation I use a much more advanced Fresnel
implementation (the complete opposite of Schlick, mind you) to get this effect
right. I've set the index of refraction for the highlight (basically, for the
dielectricum) the same for the diffuse layer (for there is currently no
distinction between the two in my implementation). That is to say, the diffuse
material reflects as much energy as the dielectric layer does (in proportion).
Hence, the light-up of the rim matches the light-up of the highlight at
gazing, which is cool.

But you can imagine that the diffuse layer may have quite a different index of
refraction as the dielectricum, able to change that rim reflection altogether.
Adding in the fact that the reflection is wavelength dependent, the rim can
change color on its own coupled with the color of the light source.

Anyhow, as can be seen, with this kind of rim reflection the sphere gets a lot
more breath so to speak.

One more step towards my stylized rendering. Of course, I'm going to abuse
this effect toward that goal. ;)

MimiMe

Thanks for your write up!

Oh boy, I am always amazed whenever I meet someone like you.
It always shows the clear line between me and skilled folks. I just love to read such write ups and get the thoughts behind the work that is done.

And even more how much time you take to work out a specific look, plus the ability to realize what you have in mind.

Here I am sitting with my low poly game being just glad it is "done". But I learned my lesson during the process: take your time at the beginning until you get the looks you wanted.

Cheers
Mimi

ps: Du sprichst deutsch, richtig? (you are talking german, correct?)

It's great to sometimes just stop and actually *play* my game, without any pressures to fix things or improve things, just to notice how it plays. It's like, why make a game, if it's not for you to play and enjoy too, right?

Some new music for the Caves dungeon.

missile

Thanks for your write up!

Oh boy, I am always amazed whenever I meet someone like you.
It always shows the clear line between me and skilled folks. I just love to read such write ups and get the thoughts behind the work that is done. ...
Thx for the flowers! :) Yeah, I always try to give at least an explanation of
what cause the issue and how about I'm going to fix or improve on it. I mean,
I could have just bluntly put the sphere there shouting; *rim lighting ftw*,
and be done with it. But that's not me. I think showing some of the thoughts
going into such work shows that the whole thing is a process and not something
happen all of a sudden. I think this is very important to realize esp. for the
newcomers. It's just hard work. Nothing more. It's not even that complicated.
Just hard work. That's about it.

... And even more how much time you take to work out a specific look, plus the ability to realize what you have in mind. ...
Yeah, everyone tries to have something specific for his/her game. And so I
have mine. But to say the truth; trying some new direction, or digging much
deeper, is what keeps me going in this crowded and noisy place that is game
development. xD

... Here I am sitting with my low poly game being just glad it is "done". But I learned my lesson during the process: take your time at the beginning until you get the looks you wanted.

Cheers
Mimi

ps: Du sprichst deutsch, richtig? (you are talking german, correct?)
Congrats for finishing the game! Yes, I'm speaking German. You know, I'm from
good old Germany. ;)

oFrF3lO.png

You can grab it here for $4.99 with an additional 10% launch week discount, if any gaffers feel like picking it up I would love to hear your thoughts!

Congrats on the launch! I remember you posting about this game before so I'm glad to see it's finished.

Makai

What kind of performance do you get, missile? I remember you saying it'd look better in 4k because of pixel scaling. How does it run at that resolution?

Ranger X

Been reworking most of the level flow and challenges in Rex: Another Island while waiting for the last few tracks of music. Work on my shmup has taken lower priority while I polish up Rex (and try to resist feature-creep temptation). A lot of areas look much more like the NES aesthetic I was aiming for now.

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/74c95b162fde72ea1d316bc85bbd53ec/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado3_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/73e4694319f6507858b7a91e2dfba61e/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado4_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/c36d03995782fe6fa1b24f9a3e9b8446/tumblr_ol8shuLoCk1w48nado6_1280.jpg[/IMG]

It's funny how many 'todos' pop up right near the end of dev, little things that need doing that felt so insignificant at the start when considered one at a time, but pretty daunting when piled up.

I really like your work there. Can't wait to play the full thing :)

missile

just asking because you said "ästhetik" (da war's mir klar)
That part about hard work is very true. Something I am thinking a lot about lately as it is not obvious from the outside. ...
There is perhaps a diminishing return in putting more and more work into
something trying to make it better and better, for, many people aren't able
to tell the difference, anyways.

I mean, in my case, the rim lighting is cool, but I don't know if it's worth
the effort when trying to make things look more realistic. I would need to
create a much more curvy/complex scene with said material to see how the
effect behaves on a global scope. But I'm not after realism at all. I'm going
to control the rim lighting on my own, making it stood out for some objects.

What kind of performance do you get, missile? I remember you saying it'd look better in 4k because of pixel scaling. How does it run at that resolution?
No idea about the performance, yet. It's still software rendering, and also
because I currently do no optimization for a reason I talked about a couple
of pages ago (to not artificially restrict the rendere while experimenting).
However, the picture with the sphere uses thousands of faces and is rendered
with 22xSSAA (to better check the shading). So we are talking about seconds
per frame here. xD But I hope that in the end it will run sufficiently fast
while implementing as much as possible on the GPU.

Jintor

Hi IndieGAF, back again. I was last here two years ago. Spent 91 hours fooling around, made a basic platformer with no graphics, back again now.

Time to learn gamemaker all over again. Lol.

missile

^ Welcome back!

So I abused my model a bit for the fun of it in creating sort of a pseudo
material giving some cool rim reflection;

16wE4pM.png

diffuse component modulated with Fresnel (IOR = 1.4+1.0i)

Jintor

i'm looking through my old prototype project and i realised i got to figuring out state machines and i remember the logic but i have no idea about any of the code anymore. lmao.

I was making a basic 2d platformer but i've turned around and now I want to make a zelda-like or a bit more of a hyper-light drifter or furi style game... should be fun to work out

DemonNite

i'm looking through my old prototype project and i realised i got to figuring out state machines and i remember the logic but i have no idea about any of the code anymore. lmao.

I was making a basic 2d platformer but i've turned around and now I want to make a zelda-like or a bit more of a hyper-light drifter or furi style game... should be fun to work out

happens to me all the time too but in the same project lol

Retroid

oFrF3lO.png

Awesome to see it finally released, picked it up! I might stream myself playing it if you are interested to hear my thought process, played about 15 minutes so far.

MrHoot

Little question for unity using friends ! I wanna try to have lights attached to some particles (so that the particle itself "emits" light) but it seems the light is acting somewhat weird and appears/disappears eratically instead of following the smooth pattern of the particle. Any tips to solve that ?

Tetraeon

Awesome to see it finally released, picked it up! I might stream myself playing it if you are interested to hear my thought process, played about 15 minutes so far.

Thanks for grabbing the game! That would be awesome, I would definitely be interested in seeing how you work through it!

Congrats on the launch! I remember you posting about this game before so I'm glad to see it's finished.

Thank you sir! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It appeals to a very niche market of puzzle gamers who enjoy Myst-like experiences, and this is the first bonafide game that I've made (save a few arcade simulators and random apps) so I'm glad to finally have it available on Steam!

MrHoot

In the meantime, enjoy some new locales i've been working on ! The cave sections of the first level gonna have some fun lighting (still managing to figure out how to do good lighting in unity) but still have some assets to finish first :)

f2ce2a0fa5.gif

BatavianBunny

Neo Member
This is it guys - over a year's worth of work pushing this together at our studio: our magic system that will allow players to build spells with a ridiculous amount of combinations.

BLOG LINK

I put the link to our blog with the details about the system and design here and some of the pretty pictures below!

The Spell Crafting UI - This is only showing a small amount of the possible effects (10 per Primordial x 6), effect modifiers (18), and global modifiers (18).
roPtOPG.gif

The Spell Sigil: Thermal, Expel with 1 Effect (unaltered)
Ox1J31Z.gif

The Spell Cast in-game
nbk4IAw.gif

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom