• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo treated the next Metroid Game like BotW...

Evolving the Prime formula would be nice to begin with.

It was dumb from Nintendo to shaft the entire IP because one bumber, which was clearly dumbed down for the casual crowd, failed both in sales and reception, and decided to blame the entire franchise, ignoring the sales from the Prime series and GBA titles, and not because the stinker that Other M was for it's underperformance.

C'mon, guys, not a Souls game. I know it's a trend to turn everything into Souls-like, but I don't think Metroid would fit that style. An open world, exploration focused, action-packed with different planets would be interesting.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why doesn't Metroid get respect from Nintendo? I always assumed it to be a vital tent pole franchise in Nintendo's wheelhouse.

Nintendo treated Metroid very well during the Prime era. The games were critically and commercially successful. Everything changed when they let Sakamoto do a George Lucas and produce the turd that is Other M. Fans hated it and it sold horrendously in all three major territories. When you have a game that bad it's inevitable that the series would go into stasis for a while, especially when Nintendo was struggling so badly with the transition to Wii U and 3DS.

Internally it must be a very awkward situation because they cannot move forward with the main series until they acknowledge what went wrong with Other M.

They would never invest the time and especially the money of a Breath in the Wild into a Metroid game. They wouldn't see a return. Also Nintendo is a relatively small company that doesn't hire the usual temp workers for crunch. They shift people around. They wouldn't devote that much personal on a Metroid game.
Sorry, this is will never happen, Nintendo hates Metroid and its fans.
Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid. The series doesn't have a loving father, it's nobody's baby.
Is there even anyone left at Nintendo who is a driving force behind Metroid? Someone like Aonuma/Zelda and Shiggy/Mario? Who over at Nintendo cares about this franchise?
It's Sakamoto. Whether you hated Other M (I didn't) or not he still made Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission. He's continue to make a variety of great titles like Warioware, Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi Life. He's also high up in the Nintendo heiarchy. I'll never understand how people can look past all the weird decisions and Aonuma and especially Miyamoto do but seem to have it out for Sakamoto over one game.

In fairness to Miyamoto, let's briefly recall how Metroid Prime came to exist:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas
Kensuke Tanabe: "And all of a sudden, Mr. Miyamoto said, 'How about Metroid?' So that was Mr. Miyamoto's idea to have Retro focus solely on Metroid. As I remember, one of the four titles that I mentioned was a first-person shooter project and Mr. Miyamoto thought we could use the game engine from that."

Matt Casamassina: Around the same time, Tanabe, a Tingle-loving member of Nintendo's software product development group in Kyoto, was cornered by Miyamoto and asked to lead the daunting title, a proposition that caught him off guard, he readily admits. "When I first heard from Mr. Miyamoto that I was appointed to be in charge of this first-person shooter project, what I thought was, I had never developed a first-person shooter and I pretty much had no experience in playing first-person shooter titles, either. So I wasn't really confident that I could pull off a phenomenal first-person shooter title," he acknowledges, adding, "On top of that, I was never involved in the Metroid series before."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/11/15/metroid-prime-roundtable-qa?page=2
Miyamoto: ...Actually, we've been working for about three years on this game. This is the first time we've dealt with a foreign development team to this degree in building a game from scratch. The Retro team members have been working with us with the utmost cooperation. Even though, at the beginning, they did have plans to develop their own game, but we [that is to say, Miyamoto himself] convinced them to build a Metroid title for us [that is to say, Miyamoto himself convinced Retro to quit working on their other games, in order to focus on Prime] and they've been very cooperative for the entire process...

Miyamoto: I had seen test builds of different projects from the Retro team as long as four years ago. At that time, I thought that in the future this team could probably do a Metroid game for us. That was my first impression. I know that the American people have been eagerly anticipating a new Metroid game... We met some opposition at first because a lot of people thought that Metroid at its heart was a 2D platformer and didn't belong in the first person. People thought that a jumping game like Metroid couldn't be done this way. But then we changed it. We decided not to call it a jumping game. We called it an exploration game... We've been discussing future projects while working on this game, so I think it will be a little quicker than in the past. We'll be working around the clock again! [laughs]... In Metroid, we were looking for a way to connect Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime because they were coming out at the same time, so we did do some fun things for players who have both games. They'll be able to connect and get some special stuff...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_39/235-Metroid-Primed.2
Allen Varney, The Escapist Magazine: ...Miyamoto pressured Retro to cancel several other projects... an action adventure... their football and car-combat games, and finally... a Zelda-style roleplaying game called Raven Blade. The action-adventure team shifted to Metroid... Nintendo's successful takeover of Retro contrasts with the similar case of Electronic Arts buying another Austin studio, Origin. Origin's acquisition led to its lingering, agonizing death, owing to EA's pernicious company politics... In comparison, Miyamoto's EAD unit stuck with Retro for years, maintaining continuity on a critical project, rotating in new managers until someone finally worked, and then (note well!) stopping. The results speak for themselves: Retro today is, by all accounts, a much nicer place to work. And after its halting progress in its first four years, Retro has already followed up Prime with a direct sequel, Metroid Prime: Echoes (2004)...

If there were a similar push today from Shinya Takahashi, Miyamoto's successor (as General Manager in charge of software development), or even perhaps someone with somewhat less clout (perhaps a push from Tanabe or Sakamoto would be enough to convince Takahashi), we might see something happen.

Miyamoto said, in June 2014, "I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series." But even at that time (2014), it was Shinya Takahashi who would be deciding what was next for Metroid, not Miyamoto:
http://time.com/4653977/shinya-takahashi-nintendo/
In September 2015, as Tatsumi Kimishima was assuming the company's presidency, Nintendo merged its EAD and SPD teams into a single, comprehensive development group dubbed "Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development," or EPD, only now with Takahashi as captain of the ship. "I'm overseeing all of that," Takahashi says, "but I view my role as being more someone who's overseeing our producers. I really look at them more as my stable of talent, and I'm their manager." He pauses, smiles, and then adds, "That includes Mr. Miyamoto. Lately I've enjoyed saying, 'I'm Mr. Miyamoto's manager.'"

"If all of Nintendo's content creators were to be seen as a symphony, then Mr. Takahashi is our conductor," says Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aimé, when asked to contrast Takahashi's role with Iwata's. "What I mean by that is, it's his decision to bring the different players in our orchestra onto a particular game or a particular initiative. [Takahashi is] the ultimate decision maker in what gets played by the symphony or what gets created by Nintendo as a company."

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491
Stephen Totilo, Kotaku: The following is the conversation [from June 2014, prior to Shinya Takahashi taking full control of software development] I just had about the series with Shigeru Miyamoto, who runs Nintendo's EAD development group, and Shinya Takahashi, who runs Nintendo's SPD group which oversees everything from Smash Bros. to the new Amiibo project to...that series with the female bounty hunter who can roll into a ball...

Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo: The original creators of Metroid and the director who was the director of the Metroid Prime games who worked under me when I was producing those both now work for Mr. Takahashi, so you'll have to ask him.

[You'll notice that Shinya Takahashi is credited as the General Producer for Federation Force, not Miyamoto.]

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them...

Totilo: I'll get back to that in a second, but which of the two styles do you guys like better? The 2D or Metroid Prime?

Takahashi: I like them both. They both have a different style of appeal.

Miyamoto: I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series...

Totilo: Okay? So Metroid and Samus haven't been just relegated to Smash-roster status, nor does it seem like either beloved style of Metroid game is being relegated to history's dustbin.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...the_list_of_candidates_for_a_new_metroid_game
Andy Green, Nintendo Life: During the interview [from late 2013], Miyamoto revealed he is a great admirer of the work of Retro Studios, the developer behind the Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns, and said it would be high on the list of potential candidates to pick up the Metroid franchise once again... According to Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh, the developer had the chance to work on Metroid or Donkey Kong Country and opted for the latter because it had unfinished business with the [DKC] series...

Miyamoto: I definitely think it's a franchise that we value and we certainly want to see what we can do with it in the future. And, obviously, Retro is a very high priority in terms of the potential team that would be considered for working on a Metroid game...

hobozero

Long as we're imagining new Metroid games, how about Metroid like Dead Space 3.

No wait, where are you going?? OK hear me out. The opening bits of Dead Space 3 were set in orbit around a planet, on a series of derelict ships. You had to venture into space to get between the ships. It was freaking incredible and honestly it's a shame the game gets as much shit as it does because these opening bits are really fantastic.

I'd love a Metroid game with corridor combat like prime, but also an open world flavor with various ships to navigate to. It'd be almost like Wind Waker's boat, only less boring ;)

344074.png

nkarafo

How about a Metroid Switch game in which you can "switch" between space suit form (traditionnal Metroid gameplay) and Zero Suit Samus form (which would be more like a BTA)?
There is no reason for Samus to ever use the zero suit, it's not beneficial for her to anything except making her look sexy. Which is the only reason this is a thing.

NeonZ

Why doesn't Metroid get respect from Nintendo? I always assumed it to be a vital tent pole franchise in Nintendo's wheelhouse.

It was never a tentpole franchise though, in spite of how it used to be promoted right alongside Zelda. Outside of the first NES game and later Prime 1, Metroid's sales always topped around 1.5 millions. Other M with its cinematic focus was clearly an attempt to go beyond that level, but it backfired.

Nintendo treated Metroid very well during the Prime era. The games were critically and commercially successful. Everything changed when they let Sakamoto do a George Lucas and produce the turd that is Other M. Fans hated it and it sold horrendously in all three major territories. When you have a game that bad it's inevitable that the series would go into stasis for a while, especially when Nintendo was struggling so badly with the transition to Wii U and 3DS.

Internally it must be a very awkward situation because they cannot move forward with the main series until they acknowledge what went wrong with Other M.

What makes it awkward is that there's no studio focused on Metroid after Retro went on to do Donkey Kong. A Metroid game would only happen by the will of individual producers, it's not something a part of Nintendo needs to do or is generally focused on developing, which is why we got something like Federation Force.

HF2014

Seriously, if by all the chance a Metroid game can happen on Switch, PLEASE Nintendo, if your listening, dont make it exclusive joy-con controls. As much as i was happy to get Trilogy on Wii U, i never get use to the damn motion controls and never completed Prime 2 and 3 on it, only finish Prime 1 on gamecube with normal controller.

Cerium

They don't see a return because they keep their big teams working on Zelda and Mario.

A few years ago Fire Emblem wouldn't make Nintendo see a return, and look now.

I'm not sure I follow your argument here. Fire Emblem has always been developed by the same studio, which is not even a first party. It wasn't a shift in developer that brought about Awakening's success.

kswiston

I'm not sure I follow your argument here. Fire Emblem has always been developed by the same studio, which is not even a first party. It wasn't a shift in developer that brought about Awakening's success.

Also, what people seem to want for Metroid would cost way more than Awakening or Fates.

Garlador

For being a bounty hunter, Seamus sure never bounty hunts as a main mechanic in any game.
Retro wanted to make that the main mechanic of Prime 3. Nintendo told them "Samus isn't REALLY a bounty hunter" and shot them down.

I wish I was making that up.

nkarafo

Also, what people seem to want for Metroid would cost way more than Awakening or Fates.
Actually, it should be pretty cheap.

People want a Metroid game with a subtle narrative and no voice acting. That means no voice actors and little to no cinematics. No FMVs either. These alone save a lot of time and money.

Also, every Metroid so far doesn't have a fancy orchestral soundtrack and it was doing fine. Nobody asks for that either. Midi is good enough. Heck, its better for this game IMO.

This is also a strictly single player experience. No multiplayer needs to be developed and no servers to maintain.

They could even use the existing Prime engine since it's so good and update it a bit for the Switch.

mindsale

I think the kind of game most people are clamoring for should be well-handled in Bloodstained, but you'll have to settle for the -vania half of Metroidvania.

I honestly don't trust Nintendo with this IP post Federation Force or in the hands of a Japanese developer after Other M.

Guerilla Games would probably make a crackerjack of a Metroid.

Evolving the Prime formula would be nice to begin with.

It was dumb from Nintendo to shaft the entire IP because one bumber, which was clearly dumbed down for the casual crowd, failed both in sales and reception, and decided to blame the entire franchise, ignoring the sales from the Prime series and GBA titles, and not because the stinker that Other M was for it's underperformance.
One bummer? Retro moved on to make FOR, which sold more than every Prime game combined. It didn't even do that well, considering, selling about 5 million.

I love Metroid, but I can't see Nintendo's motivation to make new, big budget games in the franchise.

They don't see a return because they keep their big teams working on Zelda and Mario.

A few years ago Fire Emblem wouldn't make Nintendo see a return, and look now.

I wish Nintendo would treat their dormant IPs as they treat Zelda, that would see a return. There is a big market for a sci-fi/exploration game but they don't wanna capitalize on it.

All of this.

And this is the feeling that i've wanted from Nintendo but have been completely denied for 2 whole generations. Now imagine how amazing Breath of the Wild would have been if they had the resources of a PS4/Xbone- level environment to develop on.

I think a 3rd person or Prime-style Metroid with the same kind of direction would be mindblowing.

This relates to what has been one of Nintendo's biggest issues for many years now:

They often leave you wondering about what could have been.

I also think a third person or Prime-style Metroid with the direction you mentioned could be mind-blowing as well.

Calm Mind

If Nintendo were to do an open world FPS adventure, I would put Metroid at the top of the list. Unfortunately, mostly everyone that made the Prime series what it is has moved on for better or worse.

mantidor

It's time to let it go, and I say this with a heavy heart.

Nintendo does not understand Metroid, Sakamoto, director of Magnus opus best game of all time Super Metroid, does not understand Metroid. The right thing to do would be to just hand it over to Retro, but they won't, because it's a franchise very close to them, so they will just let it die.

I think the kind of game most people are clamoring for should be well-handled in Bloodstained, but you'll have to settle for the -vania half of Metroidvania.

I honestly don't trust Nintendo with this IP post Federation Force or in the hands of a Japanese developer after Other M.

Guerilla Games would probably make a crackerjack of a Metroid.

Guerilla would do a phenomenal job, in addition to some others.

Since Nintendo no longer seems to care about Metroid to the degree that it will consistently make new games in the series, it needs to just hand the series over to a studio that would actually care enough to devote the time and resources necessary to advance the franchise.

Keep your shitty inventory management (durability, crafting, etc. --- all complete garbage like they are in every game) out of my Metroid, assholes.

Rezbit

I would honestly be happy with Prime 4. Give me a good mix of environments, some natural, some sci-fi and the classic Metroid upgrades all in glorious HD and I'd be pumped.

Apathy

For me the worst past or other m was how they destroyed samus as a character with the back story. I haaaaaate other m.

MrMephistoX

Seems like they could repurpose the engine pretty easily...hell I think it would be kinda fun if they did some kind of random DLC with Samus as a playable character just as a proof of concept.

This is why I'm excited...I'd be happy with a 2D metroid I'd by intelligent systems on this thing and now we won't need two systems.

Lylo

I's funny you say this, i can't stop thinking about Metroid while playing Breath of the Wild because the technology in this Zelda is very Chozo like, sometimes feels i'm playing Metroid Prime, specially whem i'm on a Shrine.

...The right thing to do would be to just hand it over to Retro, but they won't, because it's a franchise very close to them, so they will just let it die.
...Since Nintendo no longer seems to care about Metroid to the degree that it will consistently make new games in the series, it needs to just hand the series over to a studio that would actually care enough to devote the time and resources necessary to advance the franchise.

Perhaps this is not quite what you had in mind, but since it is sometimes forgotten, I think it might be worth highlighting: Nintendo did offer Retro the opportunity to work on Metroid again, after Retro finished Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010).

If Retro had accepted this offer from Nintendo, we would quite likely have seen a relatively big-budget new Metroid project: given the consistent quality of Retro’s work, a large budget (compared to something like Federation Force) would have been virtually guaranteed.

But as Michael Kelbaugh explained, Retro chose to work on DKC Tropical Freeze, instead of a new Metroid:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...the_list_of_candidates_for_a_new_metroid_game
Andy Green, Nintendo Life: During the interview [from late 2013], Miyamoto revealed he is a great admirer of the work of Retro Studios, the developer behind the Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns, and said it would be high on the list of potential candidates to pick up the Metroid franchise once again... According to Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh, the developer had the chance to work on Metroid or Donkey Kong Country and opted for the latter because it had unfinished business with the [DKC] series...

Miyamoto: I definitely think it’s a franchise that we value and we certainly want to see what we can do with it in the future. And, obviously, Retro is a very high priority in terms of the potential team that would be considered for working on a Metroid game...

Sakujou

Banned
nintendo is not in the mood to copy anyone. they want to CREATE something.

when metroid was first announced for n64, everyone went nuts. but nintendo never mentioned it until metroid prime for gc and BOOM all the haters went silent.

perfect transition into 3d.

zenspider

I think people would be pissed because Metroid fans, and, well, my take on BotW is it really looks at what made the first Zeldas good and the modern Zeldas, (and even LttP) maybe not as good or true to the original appeal as time went on.

Prime and Super are the sacred cows that would be led to the slaughter and I don't think Metroid's fickle, fragile fanbase could handle it unless it was, like BotW seems to be so far, perfect.

fhqwhgads

There's no chance that Nintendo gives Metroid the A grade treatment. The series has always been a B / C tier game in the IP ranking. It's not going to be some major holiday title for the switch, it'll probably be a supplimentary game for a big switch lineup.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future though. Federation Force makes it seem like Nintendo wants to focus up on the Prime series in both lore and gameplay, which is a good place to be if the series wants to get back into it's groove. A 2D game would be nice maybe but it looks like Nintendo doesn't see the money in metroidvanias anymore.

The series is never going to die but it is a question on when exactly Metroid will get back to it's stronger form. They're pretty protective of the IP so don't expect any third parties to get a chance with it. It's either made by Nintendo in house or going to a second party.

Toxi

Banned
Imagine if Nintendo actually made a good Metroid game. I know that's hard to imagine after the last near decade of Metroid games.

Imagine if Nintendo actually made a good Metroid game. I know that's hard to imagine after the last near decade of Metroid games.
Yup. Doesn't need to be BotW-style deconstruction of the series, just a good one.

Not sure why there are people throwing shade at the fa base when there have been only two bad, spinoff-tier games in the past decade for the series.

The fan-made game was widely liked—surely Nintendo could manage what one person did in their spare time

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Openworld Metroid Prime

Please deliver it Retro.

I will forgive everything if you do.

One bummer? Retro moved on to make FOR, which sold more than every Prime game combined. It didn't even do that well, considering, selling about 5 million.

I love Metroid, but I can't see Nintendo's motivation to make new, big budget games in the franchise.

And then tropical freeze only scraped past 1m, doing worse than the majority of the metroid franchise (all the console primes, super, fusion outdid it at any rate). There's more to the story than simply the numbers.

Toxi

Banned
And then tropical freeze only scraped past 1m, doing worse than the majority of the metroid franchise (all the console primes, super, fusion outdid it at any rate). There's more to the story than simply the numbers.
Tropical Freeze actually did better than Prime 2.

Not sure why there are people throwing shade at the fa base when there have been only two bad, spinoff-tier games in the past decade for the series.
Well saying Nintendo did anything wrong is anathema for some people.

Rambler

I don't understand how Sakamoto can look at the state of this series and feel anything other than total humiliation.

III-V

I am stunned with Breath of the Wild. It delivers on the promise of creating the feeling of the first time you played the original. They treated this game with such respect for the series and the player.

Imagine if the next Metroid game was treated with the same care and reverance. If it created that mysterious dreadul feeling of playing the first one. I think they achieved that with the first Metroid Prime, but in light of Breath of the Wild, my imagination is RUNNING wild!

I agree OP, 100%

GRW810

Oh I wouldn't be able to cope with a Metroid Prime 4 that took as much of a leap from 3 as Breath of the Wild has from Skyward Sword.

Top Bottom