• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Human_me

I got my code today. Do I want For Honor or Ghost Recon?

Honestly I doubt I want either, but which is best?

For Honor for Multiplayer.
Ghost Recon for Single player.

I've heard people say Ghost Recon is more demanding but others say it's unoptimised.

I'd recommend For Honor - its great fun when you are online.

Weevilone

For Honor for Multiplayer.
Ghost Recon for Single player.

I've heard people say Ghost Recon is more demanding but others say it's unoptimised.

I'd recommend For Honor - its great fun when you are online.

Thanks. I don't dig multiplayer so will grab Ghost Recon and not play that.

Murman

If anyone ordered a EVGA from Overclockers UK, a customer service rep told me that they have been given a date of 14th April.

Not sure if that's public knowledge yet but thought i'd post it here anyway.

Unfortunately the cards such as Gigabyte (which I pre-ordered) and MSI, they have no dates yet.

dr_rus

That MSI looks like it would be impossible to SLI due to thickness!

Not if you have two slots between PCIE x16s:

asus1.jpg

But SLIing such cards is a bad idea generally as both of them are dumping hot air inside the case and you'd need a very good case ventilation for them to not overheat.

Wallach

1080 Ti came in today. No issues detected so far, thing is handling The Division and ME:A beautifully at 1440p.

Still a little disappointed in Nvidia's cooler design. Thermals will play a spoiler to this card's full potential, I may still pick up a STRIX when they hit market for a long haul card.

badb0y

What's your WC setup look like?

Thinking heavy of finally going into it for real

What block did you get

That's my loop. Parts in my loop:

- 1x RX 240 240 mm Radiator
- 1x UT60 360 mm Radiator
- 1x D5 Pump with XSPC Reservoir
- 1x Swiftech Apogee XL
- 1x Heatkiller IV Titan XP waterblock
- 10 fittings (different bends and all)
- 5x Noctua F12 fans (I like silence)
- Primochill LRT Red tubing

I got the Heatkiller IV acetal block, I usually go with EK but I heard good things about this brand.

I went watercooling in 2012/2013. The first card I put under water was a 7970. Since then my interest has just grown. Watercooling basically allows you to push your hardware as far as it can go while being quiet and cool. The only downsides are the cost (initial and overtime since every new card needs a new block) and time (it takes a while to get the loop up and running and everytime you upgrade a CPU/GPU it takes a few hours).

Honestly, more than anything, you need to enjoy doing it because it's a process. Today I spent like 3-4 hours draining my loop, removing the cooler, putting the block on, refilling loop, and leak testing. If you don't enjoy the process you will probably hate it.

As for my stock 1080 Ti, out of the box and under water it clocks itself to ~1880 on the core and the max temperature I've seen so far is 34 C while running 3DMark Firestrike Ultra. Going to push some OC on it and see how it goes.

Smokey

That's my loop. Parts in my loop:

- 1x RX 240 240 mm Radiator
- 1x UT60 360 mm Radiator
- 1x D5 Pump with XSPC Reservoir
- 1x Swiftech Apogee XL
- 1x Heatkiller IV Titan XP waterblock
- 10 fittings (different bends and all)
- 5x Noctua F12 fans (I like silence)
- Primochill LRT Red tubing

I got the Heatkiller IV acetal block, I usually go with EK but I heard good things about this brand.

I went watercooling in 2012/2013. The first card I put under water was a 7970. Since then my interest has just grown. Watercooling basically allows you to push your hardware as far as it can go while being quiet and cool. The only downsides are the cost (initial and overtime since every new card needs a new block) and time (it takes a while to get the loop up and running and everytime you upgrade a CPU/GPU it takes a few hours).

Honestly, more than anything, you need to enjoy doing it because it's a process. Today I spent like 3-4 hours draining my loop, removing the cooler, putting the block on, refilling loop, and leak testing. If you don't enjoy the process you will probably hate it.

As for my stock 1080 Ti, out of the box and under water it clocks itself to ~1880 on the core and the max temperature I've seen so far is 34 C while running 3DMark Firestrike Ultra. Going to push some OC on it and see how it goes.

The picture helps, thanks.

So you have your pump/res at the bottom. I thought it was supposed to be above or at top for better flow?

If I'm looking at it right you're going pump/res -> Ti -> 240 rad -> cpu -> 360 rad -> back to pump/res ?

badb0y

The picture helps, thanks.

So you have your pump/res at the bottom. I thought it was supposed to be above or at top for better flow?

If I'm looking at it right you're going pump/res -> Ti -> 240 rad -> cpu -> 360 rad -> back to pump/res ?
Nah, it's just a bit harder to bleed but it's not required to be in the top.

It's actually going the other way around so pump/res -> 360 rad etc.

c6bf9b08586c241b021dd04c204b7a85.png

Strix Ti available in 1/2 weeks gives me 1/2 weeks to explain to the CFO why there's $750'ish missing from the bank account.

Must. Think. Of. Story. 21:9 ROG is depending on me

I'm really tempted to replace my 980ti with this even though the three most 'modern' games I've played in the last year are Dragon Age Inquisition, WoW, and SWTOR.

I wanted an ultrawide 1440p monitor but I was worried my 980ti wouldn't be able to max some games with it.

I'll pool like £1.5k aside and see how I feel then, though now that I look at it some ultrawide monitors are pretty cheap nowdays, not a bad time to jump in.

What can I do with a 970 once I get one of these? Throw it away? Give it to science? Use it as an ash tray?

Donate it to the family? That's what I do to all my old shit, go home and put it into their family computer (basically all old parts from my computers).

If I didn't do that they'd still be using some double decade old dell probably.

prophecy0

Try using DSR / supersampling instead of MSAA.

Haha... I set Forza Horizon 3 to run at 5120x2880 (so double my native resolution) with no MSAA and now it's a near-solid 60fps, even in the jungle. It's bizarre that I can double the resolution and the game performs better than it does with 4xMSAA. It looks amazing.

Speaking of GOOD FORTUNE AND LUCK. Props for MSI Europe in this department.

My 980 Ti suffered a failure 2 days before the announcement of the 1080 Ti. I have been waiting for MSI to do the RMA repair, but they said they had to send me a new one and they didn't have one in stock, so, they would refund me the original value I payed for it (699€).

They also told me I could pay for a similar value product and they would adjust (Pay me back/Pay them) the difference.

I'm now a proud new owner of a 1080 Ti FE for 150€ difference.

For 1440p... that's like, a 50% increase in performance for the same W.
Too bad it's a Founders Edition and loud as heck. Probably buying an Hybrid kit in the future.
Yup same for me. Last year MSI Europe refunded the full price of my GTX760 two years and three months after my purchase (three year warranty). From me sending it in to having the money in my bank account did take them about four weeks even though their repair center is an hours drive away from me. So the warranty service is excellent but it does take them a while. If you have no backup GPU it sucks.

laxu

Not if you have two slots between PCIE x16s:

asus1.jpg

But SLIing such cards is a bad idea generally as both of them are dumping hot air inside the case and you'd need a very good case ventilation for them to not overheat.

It's really not a big deal. I ran two 770s and then two 970s before moving to single cards and all I needed to do was add a side fan to my case panel to improve airflow a bit. You just need enough some space between the cards, if the MSI is something like 2.5 then it might be a bit problematic.

Blitzhex

I want to buy this cause I've started gaming on my 4k TV and my 980ti can't do 4k60 in some newer games, but 1080p upscaling doesn't look bad at all on the TV either.
Someone stop me.

Yeah I'm definitely not liking this arctic accelero hybrid iii cooler, I'm going to return it and use a different solution

Does anyone have a step by step guide for the evga hybrid install?

gdt

Haven't messed around too much with it. But I can confirm....

Resident Evil Revelations 2 4k ultra maxed is 60fps no sweat lol.

Dezcom

Yeah I'm definitely not liking this arctic accelero hybrid iii cooler, I'm going to return it and use a different solution

Do you plan on using the Evga cover shroud? That entails using a Dremel tool to cut & grind certain areas of Evga's baseplate to fit the Ti. If you don't want to do that and just want to use the FE base here's an imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/hr8lI

prophecy0

Here's a video guide of the hybrid install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-Y08enNG0&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0nQdCRE9Q

You can also leave the left part of the nVidia shroud on if you desire, as seen here:
https://forums.evga.com/My-1080-Ti-Hybrid-m2629639-p2.aspx

Running +175 core and +100 mem, watercooled for now

Why did nvidia lock voltage?

This method supposedly unlocks voltage. Not sure how much of a difference it makes in the OC though. I think these cards are running fairly close to their limit from the factory.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625653/how-to-get-voltage-slider-in-afterburner-working-on-a-1080-ti

See the link I posted above (https://forums.evga.com/My-1080-Ti-Hybrid-m2629639-p2.aspx). This guy just used the EVGA waterblock and left the FE baseplate, backplate, and shroud on the card.

Very cool thank you

I still think I'm going to use the FE base, I'm eventually going to sell this card

Does anyone have any recommendations for some SP fans for the 120mm cooler on the evga waterblock

Also I figure I should change to a water AIO CPU block as well, does anyone have any recommendations for that? EVGA if possible to match my GPU waterblock

Top Bottom