• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

laxu

Does MSI sell the SEA HAWK cooler for their reference cards or will I have to get the 1080 Ti Hybrid cooler ?

For reference cards you are better off with the EVGA 1080 Ti hybrid cooler. It is essentially the same thing as the Seahawk. Corsair does sell a bracket for mounting the Hydro used in the Seahawk but that is again very much the same thing as the EVGA and probably not overall any cheaper. The Sea Hawk is literally just a custom bracket and the Corsair H55. The EVGA uses a similar Asetek cooler and qualitywise is the same.

Another option is to buy the Corsair Hydro and a NZXT Kraken G10 bracket, but that requires that the card has some cooling for the VRM and VRAM as the G10 is essentially just for mounting the cooler on the GPU and a fan to push some air to the VRM. It works great with MSI non-reference cards because they have separate plates/heatsinks for VRAM and VRM so even if you remove the stock cooler you don't lose those. Back when I bought my 980 Ti, putting a Corsair Hydro H55 + G10 on it cost less than buying an EVGA Hybrid or the MSI Sea Hawk here in Europe at least.

LN2 is a hell of a drug.

pQHdciK.jpg

Okay so I removed and returned the arctic accleero hyrbid iii, and installed a evga waterblock using the stock plates on my 1080ti fe

everything runs great, +175 core, +350 mem easily, with temps <50.

My only complaint is that this 120mm fan on the evga hybrid is a bit loud, the accelero was much more quiet but that was a different vrm fan and 140mm

I ordered some corsair sp120 quiet fans to see if it will help.

microdot

I was so hype to upgrade from a 1080, but with Mass Effect and nieR not being great on PC I'm actually quite relieved. For now there isn't a great game out that requires the best of the best.

prophecy0

So I got the EVGA hybrid cooler installed on my 1080ti today and... I've had to back off of my OC. I think it's because the card isn't throttling itself nearly as much since my temps are staying below 45C.

Before, my core OC was +110. Now it only seems to be stable at +100. Other people online are running between +150 and +200. I think I got really unlucky with the silicon lottery this time around.

Gojeran

Got my 1080Ti installed last night. Didn't do any actual OC of the card but I did raise the power limit to 120% and made a custom fan profile. With those in place the card didn't break 81c and was averaging 1840 in mass effect and the witcher 3 with a high of 1895. Pretty impressive for only minimal fan noise. Will water cool later this year but for the time being in very happy with this already.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Finally got a 1080ti ordered now that stock is returning :D Hate that I had to get a FE, but I'll get water on it as soon as I can.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How easy/hard will it be to get an OC card once they go live? Harder or easier than getting a FE card? I'm not in a rush to get the Ti but if I can get it immediately after it's available I'd be happy.

dr_rus

How easy/hard will it be to get an OC card once they go live? Harder or easier than getting a FE card? I'm not in a rush to get the Ti but if I can get it immediately after it's available I'd be happy.

Depends on where you live more than anything else.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Depends on where you live more than anything else.

New York. I have a Micro Center near me. I generally prefer to just order online, but I wonder how well they stock cards. Only ever bought a CPU from them when they had a big sale.

Arkanius

So whats the veredict on the FE cooling ? I really dont care about it´s noise.

I have my 1080 Ti at 2.0 Ghz (Boost 3.0 + 120 Mhz offset) with a 75C temperature at 100% load! I had a 3 hour session yesterday and it never went above 75C
I use a fan curve of 1:1, so at 75C it's at 75% speed

The problem with the FE cooler is that it does not go above 50% at default. Because above 50%, it's a jet engine.

I don't really care much about the noise. The cooler is GOOD... just noisy

I have my 1080 Ti at 2.0 Ghz (Boost 3.0 + 120 Mhz offset) with a 75C temperature at 100% load! I had a 3 hour session yesterday and it never went above 75C

The problem with the FE cooler is that it does not go above 50% at default. Because above 50%, it's a jet engine.

Glad to know, thanks.

After the AIB´s, i believe the FE price will go down, i´ll try to get one.

Have we any idea on the dates for these? Planning a new PC build and don't want a Founder's Edition card.

Also are there any manufacturers that are known for not having coil whine, or is that pure lottery? I have an MSI Gaming X 1070 and the coil whine is CONSTANT, even when it's idle and doing nothing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
your location doesn't matter, it's how hard and fast you can smash that F5 key

That's what I figured. Guess I'll try for it, but not a big deal if I don't get in on the first wave. I also want to get some new RAM and get another SDD, thinking m.2 so I can then add yet another high capacity HDD as well. So I'll need to shop around for good deals.

dr_rus

New York. I have a Micro Center near me. I generally prefer to just order online, but I wonder how well they stock cards. Only ever bought a CPU from them when they had a big sale.

US stores will probably be sold out for a couple of months, as usual. Check http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/ to see how's the situation in the States at the moment.

your location doesn't matter, it's how hard and fast you can smash that F5 key

Location does matter. I expect that most 1080Ti models will be freely available here in Moscow in about a month from now. Most of Europe and Asia will probably have better availability than US again.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
US stores will probably be sold out for a couple of months, as usual. Check http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/ to see how's the situation in the States at the moment.

Location does matter. I expect that most 1080Ti models will be freely available here in Moscow in about a month from now. Most of Europe and Asia will probably have better availability than US again.

Yeah, I'm not that desperate to get one. I'll still try cause I might get lucky, but I've mentally prepared myself to not actually getting one till Summer now, which is fine.

Gojeran

How is the longevity of the fan effected by running it st that speed? I have my fan profile set to 67% as it's highest and with my case and where I sit I barely hear it. I could easily afford to up the speed even more but I'm not sure if that will burn out the fan prematurely?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah, I'm not that desperate to get one. I'll still try cause I might get lucky, but I've mentally prepared myself to not actually getting one till Summer now, which is fine.

I got luckly last night just by randomly visiting Bestbuy.com. Was able to used $775 worth of reward points on it :)

Luminaire

I want to get one through my work, but all we can source are the Founders Editions. Not sure how long it took third parties to start shipping their versions of the previous card after FEs ran their course. =(

Pagusas

Elden Member
I want to get one through my work, but all we can source are the Founders Editions. Not sure how long it took third parties to start shipping their versions of the previous card after FEs ran their course. =(

All that is currently available are FE's, no third party card has been released yet. Going by current dates it seems like mid/late next month we'll see the first trickle in.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Common sense tells me to wait for an EVGA card since it offers international warranty, but I know I'll be wrestling with impatience once Amazon begins accepting international orders (none of the FEs it has been selling are AmazonGlobal-eligible).

Well, I suppose I met myself halfway: I bought an EVGA card, but paid a small premium for shipping due to the romance that Newegg and EVGA share:

I just bought: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11G-P4-6390-KR 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X FOUNDERS EDITION Video Card

In the process, I also discovered that Newegg reserves stock for its region-specific stores, which is nice. I've been relying on NowInStock, but I happened to refresh an old tab and, hey-prestro, an EVGA FE in stock. That's fate, right? It's fate.

Do custom cards get snapped up instantly like the 1080 Ti FE cards did (gone within seconds)?

I would actually buy a higher end card, water cooled if possible

Pagusas

Elden Member
Do custom cards get snapped up instantly like the 1080 Ti FE cards did (gone within seconds)?

I would actually buy a higher end card, water cooled if possible

The first and 2nd batches will, yes. EVGA will be instantly sold out for at least a month. thus why I just bit the bullet and got an FE.

Welcome aboard, JaseC! Now we wait for the official EVGA 1080ti hybrid cooler to make our cards complete. Will you be sticking to the stock cooler? It's pretty effective, but extremely loud. ;-)

Any Hybrids or SeaHawks announced yet?

I have a node 605 and my current 1080FE is dying in there I think.

1080Ti upgrade should likely be a water cooled solution.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Welcome aboard, JaseC! Now we wait for the official EVGA 1080ti hybrid cooler to make our cards complete. Will you be sticking to the stock cooler? It's pretty effective, but extremely loud. ;-)

I'm toying with the idea of replacing it. I've passed on the idea of going SLI as I'm currently between jobs, so paying a small premium to get the most from one card wouldn't be a terrible idea, especially as it'd help to retain resale value.

Top Bottom