• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - EA/Origin Access trial coming March 16th - 10 hour trial

It took me far too long to realize I had a weapon wheel. I should be ashamed. XD

On PC using a 360 controller, pressing the select button didn't work at first (I think I was holding it down or something), so I was really confused about what was going on, haha.

Mass Effect 1-3 had a power wheel you selected powers from, right? I think that's throwing off the combat for me in this game because you only get 3 powers at a time.

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
I'm 10 hours in (16% complete according to the save file). I have all squad mates, Eos is at 92% viability, just met someone who made me squeal, and I just took down my first major kett stronghold.

Really starting to love the game. I'm fascinated by the kett and what's driving them.

On another note, I am getting destroyed on Eos trying to
activate a Remnant monolith. These shielded observers can take a lot of bullets and quickly eliminate my squad, leaving me to get swarmed.
Any advice here? None of the combat encounters on the first planet were anywhere near this difficult. This isn't even on insanity, only hardcore, so I seriously feel like I have to be doing something wrong here.

I'm using the Avenger and have push, throw, and lance as my skills. All seem pretty useless in this fight, which isn't making things any easier. I really miss having engineer squadmates whose skills I could manually use to offset my deficiencies as a biotic. Overload would probably make this fight a cinch.

I'm guessing you're at the one where you need to
use one of the remnant panels to activate stairs to see the second glyph
?

If so, granted I had a sniper rifle, but I used the hill that's high up just a bit outside the "fence" and sniped and drew them towards the hill. That way it was generally three on one as each one would get aggrod

Jamaro85

Tbh, use elemental ammo whenever you feel you need it. It's consumable but it years through remnants like butter.

Man, I feel completely helpless this fight. The ammo does a little more damage but it isn't making a difference this fight. There are about six of these shielded observers and they swarm in so quickly. There is pretty much no way to take cover from them before becoming completely surrounded. Squadmates die pretty quickly and don't help much.

I really have to be doing something wrong here. Ryder comments on how they are not hostile when I first approach, almost making me wonder if there's a way I can work around them without setting them off. For a hardcore fight this is ridiculously hard, when comparing with the trilogy, where I never really had a problem with insanity.

The whole open map nature without designed take cover fights is something I'm really gonna have to get used to I guess. In general I think I'll be fine, but for THIS fight I just feel like I'm doing something completely out of bounds with what the developers are expecting the player to do. This fight feels damn near impossible. I even tried to cheese it by taking the high ground scaling up one of the towers, had a chance to take a couple out before ever getting fired upon, but once they started converging it was a wrap.

It feels like I'm wasting the entire last hour of my trial on this one fight. Do you have any recollection of it? It's the southwest of the three
monoliths.

Man, I feel completely helpless this fight. The ammo does a little more damage but it isn't making a difference this fight. There are about six of these shielded observers and they swarm in so quickly. There is pretty much no way to take cover from them before becoming completely surrounded. Squadmates die pretty quickly and don't help much.

I really have to be doing something wrong here. Ryder comments on how they are not hostile when I first approach, almost making me wonder if there's a way I can work around them without setting them off. For a hardcore fight this is ridiculously hard, when comparing with the trilogy, where I never really had a problem with insanity.

The whole open map nature without designed take cover fights is something I'm really gonna have to get used to I guess. In general I think I'll be fine, but for THIS fight I just feel like I'm doing something completely out of bounds with what the developers are expecting the player to do. This fight feels damn near impossible. I even tried to cheese it by taking the high ground scaling up one of the towers, had a chance to take a couple out before ever getting fired upon, but once they started converging it was a wrap.

It feels like I'm wasting the entire last hour of my trial on this one fight. Do you have any recollection of it? It's the southwest of the three
monoliths.

Don't be afraid to fall back off the platform, or push all the way through them. Getting surrounded is a death sentence there; making sure your flanks are clear of enemies has to be priority #1.

The AI is super aggressive about it too, so your best bet is to fight a rolling battle.

Jamaro85

I'm guessing you're at the one where you need to
use one of the remnant panels to activate stairs to see the second glyph
?

If so, granted I had a sniper rifle, but I used the hill that's high up just a bit outside the "fence" and sniped and drew them towards the hill. That way it was generally three on one as each one would get aggrod

It's possible that it's that one. It's the southwest one in any case.

I really feel like sniping these guys shouldn't have to be the solution.

Crap didn't mean to make a whole new post, thought I was editing the other one! Sorry for flooding the thread with my complaining about this fight.

Don't be afraid to fall back off the platform, or push all the way through them. Getting surrounded is a death sentence there; making sure your flanks are clear of enemies has to be priority #1.

The AI is super aggressive about it too, so your best bet is to fight a rolling battle.

Gotcha. Between this advice and the advice about sniping I suppose keeping my distance is the best bet. I'll have to better evaluate how to handle the different types of encounters as I go forward and not just assume that close to mid range combat is always a viable solution.

It's possible that it's that one. It's the southwest one in any case.

I really feel like sniping these guys shouldn't have to be the solution.

Crap didn't mean to make a whole new post, thought I was editing the other one! Sorry for flooding the thread with my complaining about this fight.

Yup that's the one. It isn't necessarily sniping as much as it is you're able to draw ones attention at a time. As you said (and I also experienced initially) you get swarmed if you try and have that fight anywhere near where they are. That hill lets you pull one at a time and have the three on one advantage. I was playing on whatever the one notch above normal is. Hard? I was getting destroyed walking into the actual base.

Trial is finished. First off let me say that I am a huge Mass Effect fan, and it's probably my favorite video game series. Knowing that, Andromeda would have to be dog shit for me to dislike it. I feel that the negative comments and impressions are 100% valid. Animations are awful. From the initial waking up scene I was like "whoa, really?" and yes, some of the dialog is cringe worthy. Did this alter my enjoyment of the game? Yes, by about 2%. I love this game. It is Mass Effect. It feels good to be back in this universe. I've waited for a long time to be here, and I can't wait to play the rest of the game.

Having said that, Bioware/EA should come forward and give some kind of feedback as to what happened with the animations. For a AAA game of this magnitude, it's quite ridiculous. It really is something that sticks with you throughout your time playing and that is unfortunate. I do not think it's a deal breaker, and much of the "pre-order cancelled" talk is hyperbole in my opinion. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Zesh

So I booted up ME2 again after finishing my trial to see if maybe nostalgia was just clouding my memory of the game. Nope, the faces and animations are mostly better, and the game feels less janky overall. No idea what went wrong here.

wig

See stuff like this I love. The experimental opportunities seem incredible. The sheer verticality.

giphy.gif

Which class is this? :O

Ryzaki009

On PC using a 360 controller, pressing the select button didn't work at first (I think I was holding it down or something), so I was really confused about what was going on, haha.

Mass Effect 1-3 had a power wheel you selected powers from, right? I think that's throwing off the combat for me in this game because you only get 3 powers at a time.

XD least I'm not alone.

Yeah and your squadmates powers. Alas now you just have the 3 skills. Is there a hotkey to get directly into profiles because I haven't seen one. I have to go to the profiles menu, then switch which is clunky as hell.

oneils

Holy Shit.

I caved and got the trial on pc. I played 10 hours of multiplayer on xbox 1 and hated it. I wanted to try my hand at it using a mouse and keyboard.

Holy Shit.

This is much better. The multiplayer is fantastic while using kb/m. Maybe I just suck with controllers, but I had a lot of fun using the ole keyboard and mouse.

I had been bitching and moaning about it for a few pages but I feel much better. I think I'll be spending a few hundred hours on this.

Jamaro85

Anybody ever get a bug where your powers are locked? Had this happen a couple times, including the latest encounter I got in. At first I thought it was a power the kett had used on me to disable skills temporarily or something.

Jarmel

Banned
The combat just feels really good.

Yea I like the single player combat a lot. It's a lot of fun to play when everything is working smooth. It's sort of frustrating at the beginning as an Adept as your pistol does virtually no damage and your powers take too long to recharge but by Elos it's warming up to me.

I'm 10 hours in (16% complete according to the save file). I have all squad mates, Eos is at 92% viability, just met someone who made me squeal, and I just took down my first major kett stronghold.

Really starting to love the game. I'm fascinated by the kett and what's driving them.

Woah, you can get all the squad mates before
going into the vault
?

Yea I like the single player combat a lot. It's a lot of fun to play when everything is working smooth. It's sort of frustrating at the beginning as an Adept as your pistol does virtually no damage and your powers take too long to recharge but by Elos it's warming up to me.

Yeah the prologue mission combat feels like torture by comparison. You've got concussive shot and that's it. Very frustrating.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah the prologue mission combat feels like torture by comparison. You've got concussive shot and that's it. Very frustrating.

I was playing on Hard and felt it was surprisingly difficult because of how limited you were in your response and enemies seem somewhat bulletspongey.

Thanks for all the impressions guys, they've pretty much convinced me to by the game. I'm a sucker for all of the things this game seems to be doing right.

Jarmel

Banned
Kind of feels like Insanity is better for New Game + this time around.

Probably. I imagine that first planet is going to be absurdly hard because of the lack of control over your companions, enemy health, and you only having one power for a good chunk of it.

Gojeran

Probably. I imagine that first planet is going to be absurdly hard because of the lack of control over your companions, enemy health, and you only having one power for a good chunk of it.

Yes insanity is really hard starting out in this game. I've eventually managed to win every encounter so far and basically got to the "end" of the planet using mostly biotics. Normally I roll vanguard but the shotguns are garbage (so far). Nothing feels powerful at this point with this difficulty setting. Seeing a glimpse of hope on some of the later tech tree stuff but getting there is going to be a struggle. Been trying to find other insanity stuff on YouTube to see what other classes playlike. Ten hours is not much time to experiment much with multiple respecs.

TheYanger

So how's the map system? I heard that there's no minimap but is there still a map in the menu screen for each world?

Yep. standard ass map. Can zoom around, set waypoints, set objectives, etc.

Annoyingly on PC you can jump right to it (M) but still have to exit out the standard menu way like it was a console (can't just hit M again). But, it's there.

HariKari

After playing the trial more... this game is good in all the ways that don't matter for a Mass Effect game. I'm really worried for the series if this gets good enough reviews and sells well. The narrative focus will be essentially dead at that point. MP is good but that's not an excuse for having really bad pacing and every human character unlikable.

TheYanger

I think mostly people laugh at the Krogan on the nexus, but since it's a female I think it's actually a neat take on how to make a female krogan sound. Otherwise, yeah IDK everyone sounds exactly like their races to me.

I think mostly people laugh at the Krogan on the nexus, but since it's a female I think it's actually a neat take on how to make a female krogan sound. Otherwise, yeah IDK everyone sounds exactly like their races to me.

Agreed. Having played Mass Effect 2 all day... the aliens sound exactly the same.

Tzeentch

I learned that the hard way during my trial. Gonna try to struggle my way through it still though.
I normally play through each ME on Insanity first playthough but here it's a massive exercise in frustration - primarily because of the absolutely terrible autosave checkpoints and blocking manual saves. I assume all your research and progress will transfer in ng+?

Top Bottom