• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover Apr 4th Release, Co-op Confirmed

LordKano

Game Informer had an interview with producer Matt Ellison where they talked about Lego City Undercover.
http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-...as-dramatically-improved-load-times-and-more/

One of LEGO City Undercover’s biggest faults is fortunately being addressed in the re-release. Load times were pretty lengthy on Wii U, but they’ve been spruced up this time around. Ellison says they’ve been “dramatically improved” and that they were “a high priority”.

On Wii U, the in-game communicator used the GamePad. This has been moved to the d-pad (directional buttons), which is “handled appropriately on screen.”

LEGO City Undercover on Switch will feature two-player co-op. Another Chase McCain will join in when someone else is ready to participate. Ellison noted that it took an “incredible amount of work to add that second player, but it was definitely worth it.”

Game Informer officially confirms that the Nintendo Easter eggs will be returning on Switch. New unlockable characters are in such as police officer Grace Makepiece, a samurai, and a guy in a dinosaur suit. The visuals have been updated as well.

Crazyorloco

Is the Switch version coming out the same day as the others? I hate when a System get games Later. Lego worlds is not out for the Switch. I'll forgive it this time because the Switch just came out, but I hope this won't be the norm.

Going to be hard to choose between PS4 Pro and Switch, would love to play it on portable as well.

Yeah, I love nice graphics, but portability is so great. I think a lot of games I'll get on the switch just because of that.

Is the Switch version coming out the same day as the others? I hate when a System get games Later. Lego worlds is not out for the Switch. I'll forgive it this time because the Switch just came out, but I hope this won't be the norm.

Yeah, I love nice graphics, but portability is so great. I think a lot of games I'll get on the switch just because of that.

Yeah same day on everything

MrBigBoy

We (me and my partner) double dip for all Lego multiplatform games from now on. We just got Lego Worlds for PS4(pro), but we'll buy it again on Switch for the portability. Same goes for City Undercover.

Also, are there any Pro features in this game and Worlds? I can't seem to find any info on this..

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Lego City Undercover really is the best Lego game. I would think just the improved performance(either a locked 30 or 60fps!?) and updated visuals for the Switch version is a major addition-let's face it, the Wii U performance was abysmal...but still a fun game. Speaking of frame rate, have they announced what it'll be for the Switch?

Anyways, co-op on the Switch will be awesome. I pointed out to my son they added co-op and it releases next month and he looked at me like "are we gonna get it?" and I said "don't worry, we're getting it!" and he let out a huge smile.

I'll gladly double dip for a vast majority of the Wii U catalog if it means we'll get better performance from them.

Tempted to get this, by i'm curious about the structure of the game. Is it the same as all the others, or are there no levels, but just an open world that the missions take place in?

I really want to get this to please my Lego needs, but $90 is a bit high for a four year old re-release, especially with other games coming out at the same time that I've already committed to.

Tempted to get this, by i'm curious about the structure of the game. Is it the same as all the others, or are there no levels, but just an open world that the missions take place in?
Example: Drive to mission, enter marker outside building, mission starts inside building, etc. Like the older GTA games.

LordKano

https://youtu.be/-BbDFP9H47g?t=53
Co-op mode showcased briefly in this video (PS4 version), I timemarked the video.
- You can play co-op only with pro controller or pair of joy-cons. TT tried to make it work with a single joycon but they absolutely needed two sticks for camera control.
- Better framerate (but the guy don't explicit if it's now 60fps or just that it doesn't drop anymore)
- Better load times (you can see a bit of it in the video)
- Visuals updates, sharper.
- The Switch version apparently runs at 720p even in docked mode.

jonno394

https://youtu.be/-BbDFP9H47g?t=53
Co-op mode showcased briefly in this video (PS4 version), I timemarked the video.
- You can play co-op only with pro controller or pair of joy-cons. TT tried to make it work with a single joycon but they absolutely needed two sticks for camera control.
- Better framerate (but the guy don't explicit if it's now 60fps or just that it doesn't drop anymore)
- Better load times (you can see a bit of it in the video)
- Visuals updates, sharper.
- The Switch version apparently runs at 720p even in docked mode.

Yeah i'm going to wait until someone else verifies the 720p claim. I'll be playing it in handheld mode any way, but sounds like a lazy port if they can't get a 720p Wii U game to run any better on the Switch in docked mode (imim not actually sure if it runs at 60fps on Switch, so will take this back if it runs 720/60)

jonno394

LEGO City Undercover's packaging mentions needing up to 13GB of space for ”game download" on Switch

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-...to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

Seems the game requires a non-optional download of 13GB on the switch. Wonder if this is a way devs are going to combat the pricey carts, by going for the smaller size carts and then forcing downloads/SD space use on customers? If so, then I personally don;t mind having to download if it keeps prices in check, but it sort of defeats the object of carts and portability of games especially if you can't play straight from the cart without a mandatory download.

'Internet required'

g9ueUQF.jpg

dXgOS6v.jpg

Tripy73

LEGO City Undercover’s packaging mentions needing up to 13GB of space for “game download” on Switch

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-...to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

Seems the game requires a non-optional download of 13GB on the switch. Wonder if this is a way devs are going to combat the pricey carts, by going for the smaller size carts and then forcing downloads/SD space use on customers? If so, then I personally don;t mind having to download if it keeps prices in check, but it sort of defeats the object of carts and portability of games especially if you can't play straight from the cart without a mandatory download.

Ok I boycott all games with this fucking system. Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 on one card, Lego City need download 13gb for playing is a fucking joke.

RRockman

Banned
LEGO City Undercover’s packaging mentions needing up to 13GB of space for “game download” on Switch

How dissapointing. Zelda can run on a single cart but lol blocks can't?

Well blatently using a cheap 8gb cartridge then, i dont blame them so much as lego games tend to do most of their selling at discounted rates

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Ahahahaha at the mandatory download for the game. That's hilarious.

I can handle an install, but a download? Yeah so that game cart is just a ticking time bomb of uselessness. No thanks, WB Games, I'll stick to the Wii U version.

Well blatently using a cheap 8gb cartridge then, i dont blame them so much as lego games tend to do most of their selling at discounted rates

Probably 4GB. The Xbox One digital download is 17.7GB.

Edit: I'm guessing the cutscenes are 720p on Switch. So maybe 2GB plus the download.

Top Bottom