• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 Vs. Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as a PC gaming controller

The road to the perfect controller is a harsh one...
They all have pro and cons... None of them can bother to get it right. Switch pro controller lacks analog triggers which is dumb. DS4 has a bad build quality and battery life. Elite Controller doesnt have bluetooth support so it requires that silly adapter.

Like, seriously, all I want is a wireless controller, with paddles behind, with good build quality, bluetooth support, good battery life. A touchpad would be a neat addition. What I basically want is a DS4 with a good build quality and battery life.

Kuosi

The road to the perfect controller is a harsh one...
They all have pro and cons... None of them can bother to get it right. Switch pro controller lacks analog triggers which is dumb. DS4 has a bad build quality and battery life. Elite Controller doesnt have bluetooth support so it requires that silly adapter.

Like, seriously, all I want is a wireless controller, with paddles behind, with good build quality, bluetooth support, good battery life. A touchpad would be a neat addition. What I basically want is a DS4 with a good build quality and battery life.

Not sure how much you care about input lag, but if you do, you should avoid using bluetooth when possible

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Okay. Now I'm confused, aren't most games using xinput? So the answer should be 'no'?

I'm asking because the D-pad on my one controller died yesterday (while playing ds3). No idea why tbh. Probably bad luck paired with shit build quality.
And now I'm thinking about getting a new controller but I don't feel the need to use third party tools.

It's very easily syncable over Bluetooth and -should- work with any modern game after doing so, but I guess the strict answer is "no". Of course, there are simple DirectInput/XInput workarounds. If you want instant plug-and-play over USB, it really does come down to pad preference and whether or not you'd use the DS4's trackpad. You really can't go wrong with DS4 or any modern Xbox family pad.

Sophia

Do games understand to pop on screen PS4 button prompts or is that something you only get with XB pad? Older titles too?

The Steam UI will change to PS4 button prompts, but games will not change unless they use the Steam Controller API since the DS4 update.

Mechazawa

The Switch Pro Controller is probably the biggest pain in the ass I've ever spent getting a controller up and running on PC.

For starters, a bunch of games initially didn't even detect the right stick for camera control. I still have absolutely zero god damn clue what caused this and what fixed this because the only real thing I did to alleviate this issue is play hot potato with my bluetooth adapter and all my USB ports. After plugging in the adapter into my motherboard USB, it *seemed* to fix the problem for all my USB ports. But I honestly don't know if that was the solution to the issue or if it just started randomly working(Note: Steam also seems to randomly decide sometimes whether or not it detects the Controller when I turn the Controller on with a button press)

The only youtube video I can find that's done any semi-extensive fiddling with the controller on PC is from this guy who ran into the exact same issue. Difference is, his right stick didn't seem to magically fix itself like mine did, so he resorted to a third party xinput mapper.

The next issue, which the video above also ran into, is that the deadzones on the sticks are kinda fucked. The sticks in general seem to have a smaller throw than something like an Xbox analog stick, so I don't know if it's just the deadzones inherit to the controller or if it's an issue with how Windows is picking up the controller. But what this translates to is that some games, such as Dragon's Dogma, having fucked up left analog stick movement(i.e., You can walk, and I mean walk, in a 270 degree motion. You can't move immediately behind yourself or back-right and you can't run because the sticks' deadzones don't go far enough for the game to detect a running input) or Mad Max where the right analog stick is messed up(You can move and swivel the camera just fine, but the second you zoom in with a weapon, the camera moves incredibly slow). Some games like Evil Within get the best of both worlds, with the fucked movement of Dragon's Dogma and the fucked up camera controls that crawl across the screen slowly.

Here's a couple of gifs showing off the deadzones between an Xbox controller and the Switch Pro.

Xbox:
Rzxrtrv.gif

Switch:
ReY8k9I.gif

Note the disparity in the in the deadzones for both sticks. The left analog stick on the Xbox controller moves all the way to the edges of the square vs the Switch Controller. The "bars" on the right analog stick for the Xbox one controller also compress and expand all the way in/out vs the Switch's right analog stick.

Unlike the guy in the video above, I managed to fix this by basically playing multiple games(I had to do this since different games have different tolerances on analog sticks for when a character starts aiming at full speed or moving at full pace) and finding the "sweet spot" using the deadzone reduction options in the Steam controller configurator.

In short, fuckin'...don't use the Pro Controller as your main controller unless you wanna put in some elbow grease.

Edit: Also, understandably no gyro option with the Switch Pro. Probably something Valve would have to outright implement themselves.

Widge

The Steam UI will change to PS4 button prompts, but games will not change unless they use the Steam Controller API since the DS4 update.

Cheers. As above, I'm not a fan of the XB1 adapter. But do believe the new pads are Bluetooth, so will investigate them some day.

You can't play racing games with Wii U or Switch Pro because of digital triggers, that alone means DS4 is a better general PC gaming controller unless you never, ever play racing games.

I tend to use an Xbox One controller for 3D games, and a DS4 or SFC-style 8Bit-do for 2D games. I kind of prefer the SFC pad over the Dual Shock, but it doesn't always have enough buttons to support every 2D game.

The main reason for it is the placement of the top-left input. My hand is the most comfortable when my main input is in the top left. I don't use play any games with analogue triggers, so I can imagine a NSW controller is a suitable replacement too.

Anther thing I like is that quite a few PC games integrated the button-icons and colours of Xbox controllers in the UI when you use a controller. This will probably not be as big of an issue going forward though, but it might be a thing to consider for older Xbox 360-era games.

Jumeira

Banned
The Switch Pro Controller is probably the biggest pain in the ass I've ever spent getting a controller up and running on PC.

For starters, a bunch of games initially didn't even detect the right stick for camera control. I still have absolutely zero god damn clue what caused this and what fixed this because the only real thing I did to alleviate this issue is play hot potato with my bluetooth adapter and all my USB ports. After plugging in the adapter into my motherboard USB, it *seemed* to fix the problem for all my USB ports. But I honestly don't know if that was the solution to the issue or if it just started randomly working(Note: Steam also seems to randomly decide sometimes whether or not it detects the Controller when I turn the Controller on with a button press)

The only youtube video I can find that's done any semi-extensive fiddling with the controller on PC is from this guy who ran into the exact same issue. Difference is, his right stick didn't seem to magically fix itself like mine did, so he resorted to a third party xinput mapper.

The next issue, which the video above also ran into, is that the deadzones on the sticks are kinda fucked. The sticks in general seem to have a smaller throw than something like an Xbox analog stick, so I don't know if it's just the deadzones inherit to the controller or if it's an issue with how Windows is picking up the controller. But what this translates to is that some games, such as Dragon's Dogma, having fucked up left analog stick movement(i.e., You can walk, and I mean walk, in a 270 degree motion. You can't move immediately behind yourself or back-right and you can't run because the sticks' deadzones don't go far enough for the game to detect a running input) or Mad Max where the right analog stick is messed up(You can move and swivel the camera just fine, but the second you zoom in with a weapon, the camera moves incredibly slow). Some games like Evil Within get the best of both worlds, with the fucked movement of Dragon's Dogma and the fucked up camera controls that crawl across the screen slowly.

Here's a couple of gifs showing off the deadzones between an Xbox controller and the Switch Pro.

Xbox:
Rzxrtrv.gif

Switch:
ReY8k9I.gif

Note the disparity in the in the deadzones for both sticks. The left analog stick on the Xbox controller moves all the way to the edges of the square vs the Switch Controller. The "bars" on the right analog stick for the Xbox one controller also compress and expand all the way in/out vs the Switch's right analog stick.

Unlike the guy in the video above, I managed to fix this by basically playing multiple games(I had to do this since different games have different tolerances on analog sticks for when a character starts aiming at full speed or moving at full pace) and finding the "sweet spot" using the deadzone reduction options in the Steam controller configurator.

In short, fuckin'...don't use the Pro Controller as your main controller unless you wanna put in some elbow grease.

Edit: Also, understandably no gyro option with the Switch Pro. Probably something Valve would have to outright implement themselves.

Most informed run down of a controller I've read. Thank you.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Switch Pro Controller in-depth pain

-Yikes-. I'd only tried the Switch Pro to see if it would work period, had no idea it was such a pain.

In that case I take everything back. Hopefully with more maturity/API update(s) it'll become just as viable as the DS4 or Xbox family, because goddamn is it a fantastic-feeling, well-built pad with incredible battery life.

The answer to OP's question (for now) is definitely DS4, then.

AzaK

The only question I have is, are you a Comfy Couch (tm) gamer?

If do then don't bother, just get a Steam Controller unless you really need high end dpad. Other than that the Steam Controller shits on the others for most things. Ultimate flexibility, can even control your mouse and can play mouse & keyboard games if you need to.

I moved from console to PC gamer in the last couple of months and I can't even contemplate going back to my DS4 for the sort of gaming I do.

AgeEighty

I prefer the form factor of the Switch Pro, but the DS4 has more native support, supports xinput, and is officially supported by Sony for the purpose. Plus the trackpad has some nice applications on a PC.

belmonkey

Between the two, the DS4 has proper support in Steam and has a working gyro option + the track pad to bind stuff to; I'd say it has quite a bit more versatility. I personally am always in range of a charging cable, so that isn't a problem for me.

no analog triggers, no switcheroo. it's comfy but it's downsides don't elevate it above the xbox one controller. not even close to doing that. I would use the ds4 over the switch pro as well for most reasons.

CO_Andy

if built quality isn't a concern than the DS4 has much more value thanks to the touchpad

personally i prefer the Pro Con since the sticks drift less and the dpad is absolutely amazing for fighting games

Parsnip

I wish Xbone controller had gyro, then it would the perfect controller for me as far as features go.
The d-pad could be better though.

As much as I like how comfortable the Wii U Pro Controller is, I hate the fact that ismot natively supporter by Windows. I have to practically reinstall the controller every single time I turn on my computer. I say go with something like the XB1 controller instead.

Peterc

I'm sure the best choice in form will be the switch pro while it is the best controller above the xbox one that is on second place because allot of flaws (don't have played yet on the elite one).

Ps4 controller is just a bad design that got stuck in the ps1 time. It's time that they go with the rest (Ms and Nintendo). Weird people still accept those kind of controller. They have tried witht the boomerang controller on ps3, but it failed. I think they aren't strong in that.

In connectivity on pc I don't know how compatible both are. Ms will probably be still the best choice for that.

FightTest

I still use a wired 360 controller for a PC game pad.

I own a Switch and a PS4. The DS4 just feels kind of light and flimsy. The Switch Pro feels good, but the d-pad might be the worst d-pad ever made. The 360 sometimes has issues with registers, but the Pro controller constantly gives bad input because there seem to be rockers in the middle of the cardinal directions instead of a settled spot. (Which I notice constantly playing Xenoblade 2, I try to press down on it to throw a rock at something and the stupid ass right or left menu pops up blocking my entire screen.)

360 controller is still best for PC.

But if you have no choice, go for ps4 i guess. It supported natively by steam now and more and more games are accepting it. (not quite there yet with every game though)

shpankey

not an idiot
I like them all but xbone for pc, especially the elite. Everything just works on everything automatically. The support in games is awesome. No issues no fuss, amazing controller all round.

Ganondolf

I use the Wii u pro controller and works great, only issue is the rare times it does not recognise the controller and have to refresh in the app (which is a pain as I use a front end).

If your buying a controller for pc I would go with the Xbox one controller (bluetooth version) as it has native support with Windows 10. If you have a spare controller like I did with the Wii up pro controller, the issues are very rare and not worth paying out for a new controller.

SaberEdge

I haven't used the Switch Pro controller, but I own and have used the Xbox 360, Dualshock 4 and Xbox One S controllers. My order of preference for PC gaming would be:

1. Xbox One S controller
2. Xbox 360
3. Dualshock 4

They're all actually pretty good. I just find the compatibility of the 360 and XB1 controllers is the best and most reliable across the widest range of PC games. The button prompts in most games match up with their buttons as well. I also like the ergonomics of the 360 and XB1 controllers the best. They remain comfortable in my hands for the longest amount of time. What puts the XB1 controller above the Xbox 360 controller for me is that it has a few refinements in the form of better analogue sticks, better D-pad, Bluetooth capability, and a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

Elfstar

The Switch Pro controller has a bad dpad and no analog triggers, that makes it very bad for pc gaming, honestly.

The DS4 is kinda good, the ergonomy in general is an huge improvement over the terrible DS3, the only big flaw to me is the ridiculous battery life, it just lasts about 5 o 6 hours.

the fact that this asks a question about the best, and doesn't list the xbox one controller is crazy.
The guy should say if you are only a Nintendo/Sony fan controller, but also enjoy PC games, which of the following controllers i should use.
New year, new fanboy thread, same stuff.

360 controller is still best for PC.

But if you have no choice, go for ps4 i guess. It supported natively by steam now and more and more games are accepting it. (not quite there yet with every game though)

Only if you think the increased stick resistance of the older controller vs the xbox one unit makes up for the lack of all the ergonomic improvements they made between generations.

My ideal controller would be an Xbox one elite controller sans the magnetic sticks (I don't swap 'em and they cause weird 'bounce back') but with all the S console controller updates and marginally more resistant analogs

In my mind, the ds4 gets the stick resistance the most right but is less comfortable to use in the long term versus the xbox one controllers.

This is over hundreds of hours of competitive FPS so if you're using them for more casual/light sessions, YMMV

Narasaki

people that like the xbox controllers obviously don't play fighting games, because microsoft dpads are the fucking worse. Also, the design and rainbow color buttons are so lame

BANGS

Banned
people that like the xbox controllers obviously don't play fighting games, because microsoft dpads are the fucking worse.

Honestly the DS4 dpad is every bit as horrible as the xbone, if not worse...

Switch pro controller currently is the best dpad, and even that one is severly lacking compared to greats such as the Saturn...

SaberEdge

people that like the xbox controllers obviously don't play fighting games, because microsoft dpads are the fucking worse. Also, the design and rainbow color buttons are so lame

I find that to be highly over exaggerated. I can play fighting games on the Xbox One S d-pad just fine. I honestly don't find the DS4 d-pad much better.

Top Bottom